- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated :)

I promise to get back to your comments next week. My brother is over for a visit and we're out a lot, so there's not a lot of time in front of the computer right now ;)

 

Chapter 5

 

“Hey princess, why don't you let go of your grandparents and see where Luke and Jenny are? Tell them that Grandma Debbie and Grandpa Carl are here,” Brian said as he walked over to where Vicky was talking a mile a minute in her best Taylor fashion.

 

“Okay, Daddy,” she exclaimed happily, before she ran off and up the stairs to the second floor of the house.

 

Brian watched after her with a smile on his face before he turned towards Debbie and gave her a hug. “You okay, Ma?”

 

“Why didn't you tell me before, asshole? Carl said she came here yesterday?” Debbie immediately started, but stopped when Carl put a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Debs, remember what I told you? Everyone is still trying to figure out what the best way is to deal with Jenny showing up here.”


Debbie sighed, before she looked at Brian from contrite eyes. “I know... It's just, it's been so long. I've wondered for years how she was doing and where she was and now she's here and...”

 

“So are you,” Brian said as he let go of Debbie and nodded at Carl in greeting. “It's a difficult situation.”

 

“Carl said Sunshine has gone to Florida to see Melanie?” Debbie asked as she looked from Brian to Carl and back.

 

“Yeah, but he hasn't had any luck so far. I just spoke to him, but he missed her at her office and she doesn't seem to be at their home.”

 

“God, what's wrong with that woman? Jenny could be hurt, could be dead... How can she not care?”

 

“That's the big question,” Brian sighed, before he led everyone into the kitchen. “Are you guys okay with Italian? I thought I could order something so there'll be more time for talking.” He made a face as he said the 'more time for talking' part which actually made Debbie chuckle.

 

“Honey, how long have you known me?” She then turned to Carl. “Would you mind getting the food, Carl?”


The older man nodded and turned back towards the main door of the house.

 

“You cooked?” Brian raised an eyebrow, amusement dancing in his eyes.

 

“It calms me down, so shut up!” She then left her handbag on the counter and turned towards him. “And my granddaughter will not eat any takeout food when there are family recipes she has no idea about.”

 

“How many hours on the treadmill is this gonna cost me?” Brian asked, but never got a reply as they were interrupted by the children arriving in the kitchen.


“Hi Grandma Deb,” Luke immediately came over and greeted her with a hug and a kiss.

 

“Hi, baby Sunshine. God, you look more and more like your father...,” she smiled at the boy who with his blond hair and blue eyes indeed looked a lot like Justin.

 

Luke made a face. At the age of 15 there were worse things to hear from your grandmother, but also better ones. And it wasn't like she didn't tell him every time she saw him which amused his fathers to no end and slightly annoyed him. Gus had once told him that now he finally knew what it felt like to be him, because everyone always pointed out how much he looked like Brian, so it was only fair that Luke had to suffer the same fate.

 

He then moved aside to make space for Jenny who had stayed a bit behind watching the interaction from curious eyes.

 

“And God... Jenny... honey...,” Debbie breathed out as her eyes settled on her teenage granddaughter who was still hanging back as Luke and Vicky went off to help their grandfather carry the food into the house. “It's so good to see you...”

 

“Hi,” Jenny said shyly, not quite sure how to react or what to do. “It's nice to meet you, Mrs Novotny.”

 

“Mrs Novotny? God, it's Grandma Debbie or just Debbie or Debs or whatever, but no Mrs. Novotny. Come here, honey,” Debbie said as she opened her arms to her granddaughter.

 

Jenny threw a glance at Brian who just shrugged and muttered something which sounded suspiciously like 'I tried to warn you'. In the end she went ahead and went into the waiting arms of her grandmother who immediately engulfed her in a crushing hug.

 

After her talk with Brian earlier that day, Jenny had spent some time with Luke who had told her a bit about their family and Grandma Debbie in particular. He had also jokingly warned her about Debbie and how she could be a bit much at times, but even despite that Jenny had felt immediately how much both the boy and his sister loved their grandmother and were looking forward to her visit. Both seemed to adore their grandmother and if their stories were anything to go by, Grandma Debbie was a loud, big woman with the biggest heart you could imagine. And she gave crushing hugs that took your breath away which Jenny now experienced for herself as she was held close by the woman.

 

“Debs, honey, let her go. You're probably scaring her to death,” the amused voice of an older man interrupted their embrace and actually made her grandmother let go of her.

 

“Oh shit, I am so sorry. I am just so fucking happy to see you. It's been so long...,” her grandmother immediately started to apologise when she pulled back.

 

“It's okay. I am fine,” Jenny immediately assured her with a smile. That hug had actually felt nice and she had a feeling that she might come to like this woman as much as Luke and Vicky seemed to do as well.

 

Once all the food had been put away on the counter, not without Brian looking at it in horror and asking how many armies Deb intended on feeding, Carl turned towards Jenny as well.


“Hi, I am Carl. It's good to see you, Jenny. Not that you'd remember me, but well, you know?” He said as he held out his hand and shook hers in greeting. Even though he had been with Debbie for more than 17 years now, he had never taken up her habit of just hugging everyone and everything. He had always been more reserved than that.

 

“Hi,” Jenny replied with a smile before she turned and looked at all the food in awe. “What's that?”

 

“Oh, I prepared dinner for us and I wasn't sure what you liked so I prepared several dishes,” Debbie said, before she made her way over to the counter. “There's Lasagna, there's Baked Ziti, there's tuna casserole and because I didn't know if you were some vegetarian or something, I also prepared some vegetable lasagna and salads.”

 

“Wow,” Jenny said, clearly impressed by the spread in front of her. “I can't remember the last time I had a homemade meal...”

 

“Doesn't your mother cook for you, honey?” Debbie asked, looking at her granddaughter from inquiring eyes. The tone in her voice made it clear what her thoughts were on that.

 

“No, she's too busy. She works a lot,” Jenny said, her voice clearly sad. “She's not really maternal in the sense of the word.”

 

Debbie grumbled, making it obvious to everyone around what she thought of that. “Well, you're here now, honey, so you better get used to some homemade meals. No granddaughter of mine will eat takeout food when I can cook for her.”

 

Before Brian even got the chance to reply anything to that, Debbie held a finger in his face. “And you won't complain, you hear me?”

 

“Didn't dream of it,” Brian said, making a zipping motion with his fingers over his mouth, indicating that he would be quiet.

 

“Good,” Debbie said, before she turned towards the food and started unwrapping dishes. “Now come and help your grandmother, honey. Tell me what you'd like to eat tonight.”

 

Knowing that they had basically been dismissed, Brian took a beer for himself and Carl and ushered him and the children towards the living-room, giving Debbie and Jenny some time to get acquainted.

 

***

 

“How did dinner go?”

“Good. Debbie is ecstatic and from what I could tell, Jenny seems to like her as well. They decided to spend the day together tomorrow. Debbie wants to show her more pictures and stuff from when she was a baby.”

 

“That's good,” Justin said as he flopped down on the king size bed in the hotel room. “That makes me happy for Jenny. She deserves to know that she has a family that actually loves her.”


Brian could easily hear the frustration in his husband's voice. “I take it from your cheery tone that you weren't successful?”

 

“I waited outside her house for three and a half hours, but she didn't show up. I really don't know what's wrong with her.”

 

“I have some ideas, but I am sure you're not interested in hearing them,” Brian offered as he sat down on the side of their bed in the master bedroom.

 

Debbie and Carl had left about an hour ago and the kids had all gone to bed. Brian had just checked on Vicky who was sleeping peacefully and was ready to turn in for the night himself.

 

“It just makes me feel so bad for Jenny,” Justin sighed. “And to think that I am missing a night in your arms for her and this shit...”

 

“I miss you, too, Sunshine,” Brian said quietly. “So do the kids.”

 

“Vicky you mean,” Justin laughed. He was realistic enough to know that Luke at 15 years old was old enough to survive one night without his father in the house. Vicky however was a different story. There hadn't been many nights where she had been without one of her fathers and she missed him terribly. He had heard it earlier when she had called him to say goodnight.

 

“Apparently you're the only one that can do her hair right. Whatever it is you do, my skills don't seem to even come close to it,” Brian said with amusement in his voice, remembering how he had brushed her hair earlier and how she had complained over and over again about the way he had done it.

 

'No daddy, not like that. You have to do it the way Papa does', she had said over and over again. Brian seriously hadn't known that there were so many things you could get wrong when doing your daughter's hair.

 

Justin chuckled, knowing fully well how particular their daughter could be over her blond locks. “I am sure you tried your best.”

 

“I did and it seems that in the end the final result was good enough for one night though she made it clear that you're on hair duty again tomorrow and I am back to storytelling.”

 

“I can live with that,” Justin agreed, a smile dancing on his lips. “I miss you, you know? I mean it's only one night, but... I wish I was home and not stuck here.”

 

“I wish you were home. God knows doing these things in person with you are more fun than doing them over the phone,” Brian said his voice taking on a husky tone.

 

“Hmmm, I wonder what things you are talking about,” Justin played along, knowing where Brian was taking their call now.

And indeed the next half an hour turned out to be the best half an hour of his otherwise frustrating day.

 

***

 

“Could you please let her know that I am still waiting to see her?” Justin politely reminded the secretary outside Melanie's office that had made him wait for more than 30 minutes now.

 

“I told you, Mr. Kinney-Taylor that Mrs Marcus is very busy and since you don't have an appointment...”

 

“I am not here as a client,” Justin explained once more, trying to stay calm. God, this woman had to be the most frustrating person on the planet ever. He had been over this with her at least three times now. “I am here concerning an issue with her daughter. Could you please tell her that it's urgent and about the wellbeing of her daughter?”

 

“Mrs Marcus is in the middle of a meeting.”

 

“And can't spare five minutes concerning the wellbeing of her daughter?” Justin asked in disbelief. “What if she was injured or hurt?”

 

“Mr Kinney-Taylor, you said yourself that she's not, so I am sure that whatever you need to talk to Mrs Marcus about can wait a bit longer until she has the time.”

 

“You know what? No, it can't! It's waited for two days now and I am done waiting,” Justin announced as he walked past the secretary and unceremoniously made his way into Melanie's office.

 

He heard the shocked secretary call after him and knew that she was following him, but he couldn't care less. He had waited long enough and if Melanie thought that she could avoid him or make him wait until he lost his patience, well, she had won. He had lost his patience and wouldn't wait any longer.

 

As he entered the office, he saw her sitting behind a large desk. When she looked up, their eyes met and Justin couldn't help but notice how they seemed to soften a bit when they settled on him.


“Justin,” Melanie exclaimed in surprise as she got up. She had aged well, Justin had to give her that. She was still thin and had let her hair grow out which made her face and features seem a lot softer than Justin was used to.

 

“Melanie,” he said as the secretary also made her way into the office.

 

“Mr Kinney-Taylor, I told you...,” she said, clearly outraged by the fact that he had just walked into the office like that.

 

At the mention of his full name, Melanie's features hardened and she nodded towards the secretary. “It's okay, Tina. Leave us alone and make sure we're not disturbed.”

 

The secretary looked from Melanie to the man who had just stormed into her office and then left with a nod. “If you wish.”

 

Once the door had closed, Melanie was the first one to speak. “Kinney-Taylor...,” she said, nearly spitting out the Kinney part of his last name. “Who would have thought?”

 

“I am not here to discuss my private life with you. I am here concerning Jenny,” Justin just announced, not rising to her bait.

 

“There is nothing to discuss,” Melanie said as she sat down in her chair once more.

 

“Did you get any of the messages I've left in the last two days?” Justin asked, clearly outraged by her obvious dismissal.

 

“As you can see, I am very busy. I didn't have time to check my messages yet.”

 

“I've left you nearly 40 messages! I even left messages here with your secretary. Don't act like you haven't gotten any of them.”

 

“I am working on a big case right now. Tina knows better than to disturb me,” Melanie announced as she turned back to the file on her desk that she had been looking at when Justin had entered the office.

 

Justin slowly got an idea and hoped that he was wrong. “When's the last time you have seen Jenny?”

“Why would that be any of your concern?” Melanie asked, not even looking up from her file in front of her.


“Are you telling me you don't know that your daughter has been gone for at least two days? Maybe even more?”

“Gone? JR is at home,” Melanie announced, looking up and meeting Justin's gaze. “Not that it's any of your concern.”


“Oh, it is my concern. She is at home alright. My home!” Justin announced, not even pretending that this conversation was over and instead moving over to the desk and sitting down in one of the chairs in front of it. “She has been staying with us for two days now.”

 

“Us?” Melanie frowned, for the first time not sounding as sure anymore as she had before.

 

“Brian, me and our children.”

 

“Children... So you actually went back to him and bent over for him again... Even after what he did to you...I always thought you had a backbone, but I guess I was wrong. He really must be a damn good fuck if he's got that much power over you.”

 

“I am not here to discuss my relationship with Brian with you,” Justin announced coldly, glaring at Melanie. “I am here to talk to you about the fact that your daughter has run away, has come to our home and has been staying there for two days and that we had no way to get in contact with you about that.”

 

“Why would she be at your place?”

 

“She came to see Gus,” Justin announced, still glaring at Melanie, his voice sounding ice cold as he continued. “You remember him? The boy you claimed to be your son, but then just abandoned without even so much as a goodbye?”

 

“She doesn't even know about Gus,” Melanie gave back coldly.


“Well, once again you don't seem to know your daughter at all. She found documents and pictures in your house. She figured out what they meant and figured out that she could find Gus at Britin. Where she turned up two days ago.”

 

“Well, send her back,” Melanie just said, before she turned towards her file again.

 

“Excuse me?” Justin raised his eyebrow in question.

 

“Send her back. I don't want her interacting with anyone in Pittsburgh. Her home is here. Send her back. I didn't allow her to go to Pittsburgh.”

 

“You didn't even know she has been gone for days. She could be dead, lying in a ditch somewhere and you wouldn't know. What kind of mother are you?” Justin finally felt his anger boil over. “I will damn well not send her back to a home like that where no one even notices that she's gone for days.”

 

“What kind of mother am I? Really, that's the conversation you want to have with me? You? Who went back to Brian, so desperate for a fuck that you didn't even care about him having your child and not telling you about it. What kind of parent does that make you?”

 

“You know nothing about me, Brian or our family. And I am not here to discuss my life with you. At least my children wouldn't be able to run away and not have their parents notice that they're gone. What kind of parent does that make me? The kind of parent that knows where his children are at night because I care enough about them to make them my priority and not my work.”

 

“Oh, is that what JR has been telling you? That she feels neglected? Well, someone has to make sure that we have a roof over our head. Not everyone has a rich sugardaddy who will pay the bills.”

 

“You know what, I am out of here. I came here to tell you where your daughter is, but if you're more interested in talking shit about things you don't know anything about, I couldn't care less. I have a family that's waiting for me to celebrate Thanksgiving with them.”

 

“I expect you to send Jenny back on the next flight,” Melanie said as she watched Justin make his way towards her office's door, ready to leave.

 

“I will do no such thing. Your daughter is underage. You get your ass on a plane and come and pick her up.”

 

“Don't be ridiculous. I have a huge case to work on that's going to trial next week. She was old enough to make her way to Pittsburgh on her own, she's old enough to fly back here on her own.”

 

“No, she will celebrate Thanksgiving with her brother and grandparents. Until you come and pick her up, she will not leave our house.”

 

“You have no right to keep her there. That's kidnapping.”

 

Justin actually snorted at that. “Kidnapping is what her father and your former wife did to my son. She came to us of her own free will and doesn't want to come back here. Last time I checked that's excercising her free will, not kidnapping.”

 

“If she is not on the next flight out, I'll call the police.”

 

“Please do. I am sure they would love to hear about how you didn't even notice that she was gone for two days until I came here to tell you.”

 

With that parting shot Justin turned around and left the office without another glance at the person that he had considered a friend many years ago.