- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 7

 

“Gus!!!” A happy voice exclaimed as Vicky ran towards the door and jumped into her brother's arms. She loved her big brother and always missed him terribly when he was away in New York at university.


“Hey munchkin, did you miss me?” Gus smiled as he hugged his sister and twirled around with her in his arms.


“YES!” She exclaimed as she covered his face in kisses. “I missed you soooooooo much.”

 

Justin laughed as he came into the house behind Gus, totally being ignored by his daughter for the moment who was too focused on Gus to even notice that her Papa had come home as well.

 

“Good to know that you missed me, too, Princess!”

 

“I missed you,” a deep voice said as Brian made his way towards Justin and pulled him close. “A lot. And you, too,” he added, as he gave Gus' shoulder a squeeze, who nodded happily at his father.

 

“I know, I missed you, too,” Justin sighed as he sank into his husband's arms, enjoying the feeling of being held by Brian again. Yes, he had only been gone a day, but that had been too long as far as he was concerned.


“I missed you, too, Papa,” Vicky then announced, still in her brother's arms, but now at least looking over to where her fathers were hugging.

 

“I am glad to hear that because I missed you as well. And I heard you weren't happy with how Daddy did your hair?”

 

Vicky looked at him from her big eyes and emphatically shook her head. “No, he did it all wrong.”

 

Brian just chuckled, then nibbled on Justin's ear. “Told you...”

 

“I guess it's good that I am back, so I can take care of it again.”

 

“Yes,” Vicky nodded, before jumping down, out of her brother's arms and moving towards her fathers. “I'm glad you're back home, Papa,” she said before she wrapped her little arms around his waist and held him tight.


Justin smiled and ran his hand through her blond locks. “So am I.”

 

“Why don't you help me unpack my luggage?” Gus suggested as he took his sister's hand, who seemed only too happy to oblige and went up the stairs towards the bedrooms with her brother. “Hey, baby brother,” they heard Gus say as he made his way up the stairs and just a second later they saw Luke hug his brother at the top of the stairs as well.

 

“He seems okay,” Brian said as he looked after their children as they disappeared around the corner towards Gus' room.

 

“Yeah, I think he is. He seemed quite shocked at first and blamed himself, but I think he's better now...,” Justin sighed then gave Brian a quick kiss before he took his suitcase and headed for the stairs as well. Brian followed him and once they made it to their room, hearing the laughter of their children from Gus' room, Brian turned towards Justin with a frown.


“Blamed himself? What for?”

 

“That he never went and looked for Jenny and that it has been her who came looking for him.”

 

“That's bullshit,” Brian muttered as he looked at Justin.

 

“Not to him. He felt like it made him a bad person that he never even thought about looking for her,” Justin tried to explain, knowing that Brian wouldn't like hearing this.

 

“He hardly knew her. She was what? A year and a half when Melanie left? And before he wasn't really involved in her life either. He told me how he had never been allowed to help take care of her or feed her... He had no relationship with her,” Brian argued, looking at Justin from confused eyes.


“I know,” Justin said calmly, running a hand over Brian's arm as he spoke. “I think he just felt like he should have been the one looking for her, not the other way round. He thought she might be angry with him for not looking for her.”

 

Brian went over to the bed and flopped down on the side of it. “Did he think we wouldn't support him if he wanted to look for her?”

 

“No,” Justin joined Brian and sat down next to him. “He knew we would have. I think it has really never crossed his mind. He said it felt like Jenny and Melanie were another life. A life long gone. He has been happy with us, with Luke and Vicky. I don't think he ever really thought much about his old life with her and Jenny... Not that I blame him.”

 

Brian nodded, pulling Justin close. “I guess this is not the Thanksgiving he was looking forward to.”

 

“It's not the Thanksgiving any of us had planned,” Justin chuckled, resting his head on Brian's shoulder and running a hand over Brian's thigh. “But we'll be fine. All of us, including Gus. He knows that we're here to support and help him. I know he'll be okay.”

 

Brian smiled ruefully as Justin continued to run his hand over his thigh. “I hope so.”

 

“I know so. He's got a good head on his shoulders. And he's got the whole family here for support. I mean... at least she came here where we can help and support him. Imagine if she had just shown up in New York and he would have been on his own.”

 

Brian shuddered at the thought. “Yeah, I guess you're right. I am just worried because... God... Melanie did quite a number on him and when she left... he was a mess.”

 

“I know,” Justin sighed, remembering the stories Brian and his mother had told him about the problems Gus had had in the wake of Melanie's disappearance. “He got really angry when I called her his mother. He immediately insisted that she wasn't his mother.”

 

“That's my boy,” Brian whispered, not able to help himself despite the seriousness of the situation.

 

Justin shook his head, not able to hide his own amusement at Brian's reaction. “You can't imagine how cold she was. She didn't care. She didn't even know that Jenny was gone and had been gone for several days already. All she went on about was her big trial that was coming up and you.”

 

“Me?” Brian frowned.

 

“I am sorry to break it to you, but she still doesn't like you,” Justin said, before he pulled back and met Brian's gaze. “She seemed more interested in me and you being married than in her own daughter.”

 

“I am not surprised,” Brian admitted. “After everything Jenny has said... She also mentioned quite a few things when Debbie and Carl were here and none of them any good.”

 

“I am glad they are spending the day together and getting to know each other. I think this will be good for both her and Debbie.”

 

“Yeah. Debbie is over the moon to have her here. She's cooked enough to feed five armies, just so that Jenny can try every family recipe that Debbie has ever heard about... You don't want to see the fridge and freezer.”

 

Justin chuckled, once more running his hand over Brian's thigh. “I am happy for them. And I am sure we will survive.”

 

“You're not the one that will have to run an extra hour each day for the next month. It all just goes right where it belongs.”

 

“To my bubble butt,” Justin snorted, rolling his eyes at Brian.

 

“Exactly,” Brian nodded, before he moved his hand to said bubble butt. “And what a nice bubble butt it is.”

 

Justin leaned in for a quick kiss, but then pulled away and got up. “And you can play with it later all you want.”

 

“Is that a promise?” Brian raised an eyebrow and Justin could already see the ideas forming in his head.

 

He leaned in for another kiss. “It is,” he whispered into the kiss, before he moved over to his suitcase and started unpacking. “But later. I think you should talk to Gus first.”

 

“Way to kill the mood, Sunshine,” Brian complained, before he got up as well, knowing that Justin was right though. They would have all evening and all night later, but for now their children were more important.


“I'll make it up to you later,” Justin promised with a smirk, shaking his ass as he went into their ensuite to put away his shaving kit.


“You better,” Brian muttered, as he went towards the door of their room. Though he had no doubt that Justin would. So far he had always kept his promises and Brian knew that tonight would be no exception. It would be well worth the wait.

 


***

 

“They are really happy that you're back home,” Brian said as he watched Luke and Vicky leave Gus' room, in search of their Papa, ready to welcome him home as well.

 

“Yeah,” Gus smiled happily, as he looked at his father. “I missed them, too. All of you.”

 

“I am glad you're back home, if only for a couple of days,” Brian said as he moved over to Gus' bed and flopped down on it. Gus would be home until Sunday, before he had to return to New York for his classes that would start again next week.

 

“I'll be here for longer for Christmas,” Gus said as he looked at his father.

 

“I know. It's just so weird to not have you home anymore,” Brian sighed.

 

“Dad, this is already my second year at university. You should be used to it by now.”

 

“There are some things a parent will never get used to,” his father chuckled. “You better get used to that.”

 

Gus chuckled as well, then flopped down next to his father on his bed, knowing that his father wanted to talk to him and also knowing what about. “I am okay, Dad.”

 

“Are you?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

 

Gus nodded. “I think so, yeah.”

 

“It would be alright if you weren't,” Brian said, but then stopped.

 

“I won't lie. I was shocked at first when Papa said Jenny had shown up here and... I won't lie about it also bringing back some memories I'd rather not think about, but... Papa and I talked and I think I am okay. And if not, I know that I'll be. That you and Papa will be here to help me.”

 

“Of course we'll be,” Brian immediately agreed. “You're not alone in this, Gus. Everyone is dealing in their own way right now, but if you need to talk to me or your Papa about this, we're always here to help.”

“I know, Dad. And I also know how incredibly lucky I am that you are,” Gus threw an arm around his father's shoulders and leaned in to give him a kiss on his cheek. “I love you, Dad.”

 

“Love you, too, Sonny Boy,” Brian whispered back, pulling Gus closer.

 

They stayed like that for several minutes, before Gus pulled back. “I guess I just realised once again how different my life could have been if you hadn't fought for me and gotten custody back then, you know?”

 

“Gus,” Brian started, but stopped when Gus shook his head.

 

“I know you always would have. It's just that I know how lucky I am to have had you and Papa supporting me in everything I did growing up. Hearing about how she treated Jenny just made me think back to how she treated me and... I just know that I was very lucky to have you on my side fighting for me. What Jenny went through... it could have been me, if things had gone differently.”

 

Brian didn't quite know how to reply to that. He wanted to say that it never would have been that way for Gus, but he knew well enough what Gus' time with Jenny and Melanie in Toronto had been like when she had lied to his son about Brian being too busy with Luke to see him. So instead he just nodded and stayed quiet.

 

“I am just happy that she found us and Grandma Debs and Grandpa Carl. She deserves a loving family as well,” Gus went on. “She deserves better than what that woman did to her.”

 

“Yeah, she does,” Brian agreed, pulling his son close once more. “You're a good boy, you know that? I am so proud of you!”

 

“And I am proud of you, Dad. You did what she never could have,” Gus said, leaning into his father's embrace. “You changed your whole life and always made sure that we were your priority.”

 

“Because you are. You, Luke and Vicky are all that matters. Nothing else is worth anything if you three aren't happy,” Brian said, meaning every word of it.

 

Yes, he had done very well professionally and both Kinnetik and Babylon were making him a rich man, but none of that money mattered to him. What mattered were his children and Justin and their happiness. None of the money could make him as happy as these four people could.

 

“And Papa. Don't forget him,” Gus chuckled, knowing that his Dad wouldn't be happy if his other father wasn't either.

 

“Never,” Brian chuckled. “He wouldn't let me live it down if I forgot about him.”

 

“And rightfully so,” Gus pointed out, before he got up again and went back to his suitcase. “I am really okay, Dad. You don't have to worry about me.”

 

Brian nodded, looking at his son and seeing that Gus was speaking the truth. “Alright,” he said as he got up and walked towards Gus' bedroom door. “I will always worry about you though. It's what I do.”

 

Gus smiled at his father, meeting his gaze. “I know. I am glad you do.”

 

Brian nodded once more, then left the room.

 

***

 

“Can I come with you?” Gus asked as his father announced that he would be heading to Debbie's to pick up Jenny.

 

“Sure,” Brian nodded. “If that's what you want.”

“Yeah, I think it'll be better to meet her at Grandma's place for the first time instead of here with Luke and Vicky around,” Gus said.

 

“Your Papa can keep them busy,” Brian offered, looking towards Justin who nodded in agreement.

 

“We'll get started on preparations for tomorrow's dinner. They both want to help, so we'll be busy in the kitchen for a while,” Justin added.

They had just finished dinner and Luke and Vicky had run off towards the living-room after helping their fathers clear the table, leaving Gus and their fathers on their own.

 

“No, I think it's better this way. And I think I also don't want to wait any longer than necessary,” Gus said, looking from his Dad to his Papa and back. “I just want to get it done with, you know?”

 

“It will be fine, Gus,” Justin said, looking at his son from concerned eyes. “She's a really nice girl and I am sure she will like you just like Luke and Vicky do.”

 

He hadn't been blind, neither had Brian been, and they had both seen how nervous and distracted Gus had been ever since they had come home. It hadn't been very noticeable, but they both knew their son well enough to notice anyway and they had both been sure that it had been about Jenny. Now they weren't surprised to have their suspicions confirmed.

 

“Yeah,” Gus just replied, before he looked at his fathers. “What will happen next? I mean... I know you went to Tampa to talk to her, but you said it didn't end well...”

 

Justin sighed and met eyes with Brian. When Brian nodded, agreeing that they should tell Gus the truth, Justin went on. “Your Dad talked to a lawyer earlier today. Melanie threatened to call the police on us.”


“For what?” Gus seemed outraged at the mere idea and his face immediately showed his anger.

 

“Kidnapping,” Brian said quietly.

 

“How is it kidnapping if Jenny came here of her own free will?” Gus frowned, not sure he understood.

 

“That's what we're thinking as well, but just to be on the safe side, your father talked to a lawyer,” Justin said.

 

“And what did he say?”

 

“That for now we're on the safe side. It's not kidnapping and Melanie wouldn't be getting anywhere with her claims,” Brian said.


“But?” Gus raised an eyebrow, meeting his father's gaze head on. He had clearly heard the but in there.

 

“But, she is Jenny's mother and has custody. As Jenny is underage, Melanie is the one who can and has to decide where Jenny will be, especially once school starts again,” his father finished.

 

“What does that mean?” Gus asked, looking from his Dad to his Papa. “Does that mean Jenny will have to go back to her?”

 

“Not necessarily,” Justin said, carefully considering his words. “As Jenny is already 17, the situation isn't quite as clear as it would be if she were younger. At her age her wishes would most likely be taken into consideration at this point.”


“So, if she wants to stay here, she can?” Gus asked, still not sure he really understood.


“It's more complicated than that,” Brian sighed. “We'll have to sit down and talk about how to go forward, but we should do that together with Jenny. For now, she will stay here and celebrate Thanksgiving with us and then afterwards, we'll sit down and have a conversation about how to go forward. As Melanie has custody, we can't just ignore her wishes.”

 

“Her wishes? Why would her opinion matter? She didn't even know Jenny was gone,” Gus was outraged and both his fathers could hear it.

 

“We know,” Justin said, looking at Gus. “Custody issues are complicated and don't always make sense.”

 

“Can't you take her to court for custody like you did with me?” Gus asked, looking at his Dad questioningly.

 

“Things are different than they were back then,” Brian replied slowly, not wanting to disappoint Gus.

 

“Because I was your son, but she's not your daughter?”

 

“Yes,” Brian agreed. “When it was about you, I had rights because I am your father, but with Jenny... It would be different. Melanie is her mother and her father is gone. That leaves Melanie with all the rights.”

 

“So, Jenny would have to go back to her until she's 18 and can make her own decisions?”

 

“We don't know, Gus. It's a very complicated issue with many things to consider. We'll all have to sit down together and talk about this together to see what our options are. And then we'll make a decision together,” Justin said, taking Gus' hand and giving it a squeeze. “But even if she had to go back until she was 18, she would now have a family here and she wouldn't be alone. She'd have our support. And who knows? Maybe Melanie will agree that she's better off here with her family than with her. It would give her more time to focus on her work after all.”

 

Gus wasn't surprised to hear the bitterness in his father's voice at the end of his statement. He felt the same about Melanie, but also knew that it would never be that easy. “You don't believe that, do you? She would never let Jenny stay in Pittsburgh. She hates all of us.”

 

“Gus,” Brian started, but stopped when Gus turned towards him.

 

“Maybe not hate, but she certainly doesn't like us. Do you really think she would let Jenny stay with us?”

 

“I can't say that I can see that happening right now, but stranger things have happened,” he replied diplomatically. “We shouldn't worry about it too much though. Not now. We don't want this to spoil our Thanksgiving. We'll have a nice Thanksgiving tomorrow, welcoming Jenny into the family and then afterwards, we'll sit down together and consider all our options.”

 

“Together?” Gus asked, wanting to make sure that he was to be included in whatever decision was going to be made.


“Together,” Justin agreed.

 

Gus sighed, not really happy with the answer, but knowing that for now with the holiday coming up there wasn't much they could do anyway. And his fathers were right, they shouldn't let it spoil their holiday. Everyone had been looking forward to Thanksgiving for a long time and Gus knew that his grandmothers and his Papa always put a lot of work into preparing a huge feast for the whole Liberty Avenue family. They should try to enjoy the holiday and then afterwards they would get together and talk over their options. For now it seemed like the best plan they had.

 

“Okay,” he nodded, meeting his fathers' gazes head on. “That's what we'll do.”

 

Five minutes later Brian and Gus were on their way to Pittsburgh to pick up Jenny.