- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

And now for the big show.

"Are you lying down?" Justin murmured softly into the phone.

"Twat. I'm in the fucking hospital. Of course, I'm lying down."

"Imagine me kissing your nipples. First, I suck them into my mouth until they're tight little nubs. Then I take my forefinger and thumb and twist them. The shock sends tingles of pleasure to your cock."

Brian sighed softly at the imagine Justin portrayed.

"Good. I want you to grab your cock. It's so beautiful and long. Have you got it?"

"Yes," Brian said, his voice husky.

"Put your fingers in your mouth, make then really, really wet. Slide your hand up and down your cock."

"Oh yeah," Brian moaned as he pleasured himself.

Justin heard Brian's increased breathing, and knew his lover was close. "Take your other hand and play with your balls. Fondle them; squeeze them while you stroke yourself."

"Justin..."

Brian's breathing was even more labored than before. "That's it. Harder...faster! Come for me. I want to hear you shoot."

Silence, then a load moan over the phone line told Justin his attempt at phone sex had been successful.

After a few minutes, Brian said sleepily, "Good night, Justin."

"Night, Brian. See you in a few days." Hanging up the phone, Justin laid back on his lumpy pillow.

Even though, Justin lay in bed for a long time before he could sleep. Thoughts of the last weeks jumped around in his head.

"Now that you are medically stable, Dr. Moya would like you transferred to the CD unit to address your alcohol and drug use."...

"I'm always on your side, Justin. I just want what's best for you. How can you work on your art if you're here with Brian?"...

"I just want you to be happy, Justin."...

"I never said I was supporting you. I'm making an investment in a rising artist whom I happen to know very well."...

"You never cease to amaze me, Justin. Most artists can't wait to move to New York and be a part of the art world. Here you are, on the cusp of notoriety, and you want to return home."

His life was like a tornado. He was in the middle of the storm, and everything was whirling out of control. I need to get some sleep. I've got the biggest show of my career tomorrow, and I need it to be a HUGE success, so that I can return to Pittsburgh and show Brian that I don't NEED to be in New York!

Justin pictured Brian's face, in full post-orgasmic bliss; he eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, Justin finished boxing up his few possessions, then went to the FedEx down the block to mail the few boxes of things he was keeping. He called the Salvation Army to pick up the rest. He knocked on his neighbor John's door, and the young man answered after a few moments.

"You're back. I kept an eye on the place for you. Everything cool?" John asked.

Justin looked at John, noticing his brown hair sticking up, and the fact that he was still in his boxers and a ratty t-shirt. "Shit, sorry I woke you up. I thought you had to work today."

John yawned, covering his mouth with his hand. "No problem. I needed to get up anyway. I'm off today-got a big audition, so I traded with Brandon," he answered as he stretched his long, lean torso. Justin appreciatively gazed at the firm six-pack John had hidden underneath the t-shirt.

"Wanna come inside? I think I can make us some coffee and we can catch up?" John offered as he waved Justin into his apartment.

"Sorry. I just stopped by to see if you'd let the Salvation Army guy in next Wednesday. I'm moving back to the Pitts, and this shit isn't worth shipping home."

"You mean, I'm going to have a new neighbor soon? Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. You were nice and quiet, unlike those two noisy girls that were here before you." John stopped for a moment. "Wait. Don't you have a show coming up? What about it?" He looked at Justin with concern.

"Yeah, its tonight. I'll dazzle all my fans, and then I'm returning to Pittsburgh. Brian needs me... and I'm ready to move back," Justin explained.

"Let's back up the Taylor train and explain this to the slow New Jersey guy," John teased.

"You've heard me talk about Brian?"

John nodded. "He's the ex. Right?"

Justin nodded, and grinned when he thought of Brian's reaction to being referred to as ‘the Ex.' Brian would never admit to ever being in relationship, and now to be referred to as ‘the Ex' was poetic irony. Justin never forgot that they almost got married, and he knew that meant Brian did consider them to be in a relationship. Once.

"Well... How do I explain Brian? Apparently, he told me to get lost because he couldn't handle us being apart. Anyway, when I came back, we talked- or something like it. He'd never stopped caring for me. I talked to my agent, and we agreed that I can paint anywhere. So... I'm going back to paint in Pittsburgh, and hopefully, giving us a fighting chance. What can I say? I love the idiot."

Justin glowed as he talked about Brian, and John held out his hand to shake Justin's. "I wish you luck. Finding the right one is never easy. What time's the show? Maybe I can make it down there to see it."

"Show is from 8:00 to 11:00 at the Bloom Gallery on 121st. It's formal. Got anything to wear? I've got an extra coat you could borrow. You're about my size."

"Taylor, I may be a starving artist, but I do own a few nice clothes. I've got a coat. I'll swing by. May be one of my last chances to see you before you become rich and famous," John joked.

"Hate to run, but I've got a million stupid things to do before the show. See you there." Justin hugged John and went back to his apartment.

He called the super and told him he was moving. He had two months left on his lease, and Justin agreed to pay the balance. He went to the post office and filled out a change of address form. He went to the art store and told them to ship his upcoming order to Pittsburg, and paid the extra charge. He bought the ‘I love New York" t-shirt for Gus, and then decided he should buy Molly a present for her birthday.

He walked into Macy's, heading to the jewelry counter. "Excuse me. I need to buy something for my little sister. She's turning sixteen, and I have no idea what girls her age like."

The women behind the counter looked at Justin, dressed, as usual, in his casual cargo pants and t-shirt. "Does she have pierced ears? Earrings are always a good bet."

Justin frowned as he tried to picture Molly. He remembered some conversation with his mom when Molly was really young, maybe six or seven, and they were arguing about piercing. Molly had won and she got her ears pierced. "Yeah."

"Good." The saleswoman took out several pairs of earrings and laid them on the counter. "What about one of these. They're elegant without being overwhelming."

Justin picked up each pair, surreptitiously looking at the prices. He handed the woman a pair of studs that cost $50.00. "These should do. Thank you."

"How would you like to pay for them?"

Justin hesitated a minute before taking Brian's credit card out of his wallet, and handling it to her.

She looked at him and saw the card was signed with the name on the front. "Do you have any ID?" She asked.

Justin pulled out his driver's license and handed it to the woman. She flipped both sides verifying it was him and handed him back the license. She processed the credit card and gave him his purchases. "Gift wrap is in the basement."

"Uh ...thanks. That would be great." Justin took the earrings and had them wrapped, then took them down to the UPS store and had them shipped to Molly. He thought he would be around for her birthday, but wasn't sure.

He walked four blocks to his job at the small diner. The bell jangled just like it did at the Liberty diner, and he looked around half expecting to see the gang at the back booth. It was 2:00 PM, and the place was pretty empty. He walked to the back office of the diner where Peter, the owner, usually sat. He knocked on the door.

"Come in," Peter's smoke- induced, gravelly voice answered.

Peter looked up to see Justin walking in the small office. "You back? Good. I was beginning to think you weren't gonna come back." The man picked up the papers he was writing on and found Justin's name on the schedule. Picking up a pen, he started to write Justin's name in the slot. "I can give you a shift in two days. That good?"

"Sorry Peter," Justin said. "I came to tell you that I'm not coming back. I appreciate you giving me a break and a job when I really needed it, but I've decided to go back to Pittsburgh."

"Had enough of the mean streets?" Peter joked.

"Actually, I love New York and I was happy here, but my life has always been in Pittsburgh; I'm going to paint there."

Peter snorted derisively. "Dreamers... all of you. Look I got a business to run, so if you're not coming back, I gotta find me a new waiter."

Justin held out his hand to shake Peter's, but Peter just turned back to his paperwork. Justin exited the little office and looked around one last time at the diner.

It was almost 4:00 and it would take him forty five minutes to get to the show. He always took a cab to his shows. He didn't want to appear too much like a starving artist. Again, he was happy that he had taken an advance on Brian's credit card. It was really nice having money.

He made his way back to his apartment and lay down on his bed for a short nap. When the alarm went off, Justin showered and carefully shaved. He dressed, then went down to the street and hailed a cab, arriving at the gallery at 6:30.

Sam greeted him when he walked in.

"Justin! I've got the contracts you requested in my office. Are you sure I can't convince you to change your mind and stay in the city?"

"Thanks, but no, you can't change my mind. I think this is the right thing for me." He heard the door open and saw his mother walk in. "Sam, let me introduce you to my mother. She is very excited about the show-she may be more excited than I am!"

Jennifer walked towards Justin, but stopped before she reached him. Justin waved her forward.

"Mom, this is Sam Cabelero, my agent. Sam, this is my mom, Jennifer Taylor."

Sam reached out and shook Jennifer's hand. "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Taylor. You have a very talented son. I would love to talk to you, but I see someone I need to have a word with before the show. Excuse me." Sam left Justin and his mother.

Jennifer looked around. "Justin, this is a beautiful gallery. I had no idea it was this big."

"Let me show you the place before the show starts. I'll probably be pretty busy once the show actually opens."

Justin led Jennifer around the gallery, stopping at his pieces as well as the other artist's. He pointed to a picture with vibrant colors. "This is the one Brian bought. He wanted to buy the picture on the far wall, but it was already sold. Isn't it amazing, Mom? I'm selling my art before the show even opens."

Jennifer leaned over and kissed Justin on the check, then glanced around. "I'm so proud of you, Justin. I wonder if there is anything that I could afford."

"I'll paint you something, mom. You don't have to buy my work," Justin admonished his mother.

"Thank you, honey, but that wouldn't be right."

"Let me be the judge of that, Mom. If you want, I'll paint something small to go in your office."

"That would be great. I'll think about it."

The door started chiming as several patrons entered into the gallery. "I'm sorry Mom, but I have to go mingle."

"I'll be fine, Justin. I can study all the art, and sit like I used to when we would go to the art museum when you were little," she said as she walked off toward the back of the gallery.

Justin mingled with the patrons and spoke to each one. Lindsay showed up about 7:30, and found Justin as soon as she walked in the door.

"I'm sorry I'm late. The plane was delayed, and then there was an accident," she explained as she gave Justin a hug.

"You're here, and that's all that matters. Let me show you around." Justin steered her toward the exhibit and his work.

After Lindsay had seen several paintings, she remarked, "This is such a far cry from your first show at the GLC. I can still see Brian showing up, and the look on your face when he walked in the door. I'm so glad to be here, but I would have loved for Brian to see this...how different it is. It was so nice of him to let me have his ticket."

Justin cringed at her statements, but didn't reply. Lindsay continued. "I'd love to see your studio, but I guess there really isn't time. Maybe next trip."

"If you'll excuse me, I have someone I need to talk to. My mom is around here somewhere. I'm sure she would love to see you."

Justin made his way back to Sam. "It looks like a nice showing," Justin commented.

"You're doing well. Most of your pieces have already sold, and it isn't even close to being over. Sure I can't convince you to change your mind? New York is a very creative place; artists everywhere clamor to work and live here. It could make you a huge success, much faster."

"I'm sure. Remember our conversation yesterday about wives?"

Lindsay realized that she had forgotten to give Justin the information about her hotel, so she made her way back to him. She overheard the question Justin asked the man standing next to him. Curious, she stayed back to listen to the man's response.

"Of course. I wouldn't leave my wife to advance my career. And you're the same way-you don't want to leave your Brian. We'll try it your way, but if it's not working, I may have to insist that you come back here."

"Oh. It will work. I'll make sure of it." Justin grinned.

Lindsay walked up to Justin. "I forgot to give you my room number and the address of the hotel. I'll be staying at..."

"The Trump Tower, penthouse suite," Justin finished her sentence.

"How did you know?" Lindsay asked, confusion evident in her voice.

"Brian always stays there. He says it has the best room service and it's always clean. I can't imagine he would change his reservation, even if he didn't keep it himself."

Lindsay nodded. "Uh Justin," she stammered. "I didn't mean to, but I overheard you talking to your agent. Are you planning on leaving New York and returning to Pittsburgh?" Before he could answer, she continued her mini-lecture. "You can't do that, Justin! It's your big chance. You've got to give New York more time! This show is so important. You can't just leave now. You'll never know if you could have made it!" Lindsay sputtered.

Justin put out his hand in a halting motion. "Lindsay, I need you to understand something. What I do with my life is my business. If I want to travel to Timbuktu for my art, then I will. I will not let you dictate what I can and can't do. I would appreciate if you did not share your opinion with Brian, either. You have your life; now, let me have mine." Justin finished his comments and looked around the room. "If you'll excuse me, I need to mingle." Justin walked off and left Lindsay with her mouth open.

The evening came to an uneventful close after another hour. Justin joined his mother and Lindsay for a late dinner, then the women returned to their respective hotels while Justin went back to his nearly empty apartment.

He walked around the near empty rooms and felt no sense of nostalgia. I never really settled here- I think I always knew I would go back. I'm a little sad, but in reality, I'm looking forward to returning to Pittsburgh. He yawned, then undressed and got ready for bed. He checked his phone, half expecting a missed message or text message from Brian, but it was blank. He thought that Brian would want to wish him good luck, but then he knew that was not Brian's way. He hoped that some day Brian would call him and wish him luck for a show, but he knew that it would not happen soon. He lay down and pulled the covers over his body, quickly falling asleep.