- Text Size +

Justin met his mom in the lobby of her hotel. Lindsay had declined the invitation, saying she would use her unexpected vacation to sleep in late.

"Your show was wonderful, sweetheart! I am so proud of you- I can't believe you sold almost all your work before the night was over. I'm sure by the end of the run, it will all be gone," Jennifer said as she gave him a hug in the lobby of the hotel.

"Thanks, Mom. I know Brian would be so proud of me. He always said to celebrate accomplishments, and I intend to celebrate when I get back to Pittsburgh ." He grinned as he thought of the many ways they could celebrate.

Jennifer looked at her watch and motioned toward the restaurant at the other end of the hotel lobby. "I know we don't have a lot of time before we have to leave, so we better go eat."

They walked toward the restaurant and were seated immediately. "This place is really nice. Did Brian book it for you?"

"No. Your father and I stayed here several times when we'd travel."

Justin winced at the mention of his father. "Oh. It seems nice. Didn't think Dad would go for such extravagance," he commented half joking.

The waitress handed them their menus and took their drink orders. She returned a few moments later and they both ordered; Justin a breakfast of eggs, ham, toast, hashbrowns and pancakes, while Jennifer order eggs and toast.

"Did you get an opportunity to talk to Lindsay? She was looking for you."

"Yes. She was very impressed with the show. She said she couldn't believe how much you've grown as a painter since she first met you. We reminisced about your first show at the GLC, and had a good laugh."

Justin looked puzzled, his frown deepening at his mother's statement.

"I was so proud of you then, your first show. Of course that was tempered by meeting Brian. I was faced with the reality of your first lover."

"Mom..." Justin started to talk.

"Let me finish. Every mother knows that their child will one day grow up and become a mature adult, and that involves sex. It's another to be face to face with the person your child is having sex with. Since you were still in high school and Brian was a grown man, well, that made it even harder to swallow."

Justin nodded and let his mom continue.

"While I didn't like Brian in the beginning and I would have preferred your first to be someone more your own age, I have grown fond of him. I actually really like him. I'm proud of you Justin, standing by your man when he needs you the most. Not everyone would do that."

"Of course, I'll stand by Brian. I love him, and while he has a real problem saying it, he loves me too."

Their food arrived, and they ate in companionable silence for a few moments.

"So you haven't changed your mind about returning to Pittsburgh ?" Jennifer took a drink of her coffee.

"This show has made my resolution even stronger. These paintings are good and they sold well, but my true inspiration is when I'm with Brian. I believe the work I'll produce in Pittsburgh will be phenomenal," Justin gushed.

"Justin, have you talked to Brian about this? I'm worried that you are making plans, and he won't be happy about them. Brian is a very independent man...."

"Mom. Please, let's talk about something else. My and Brian's relationship is not up for discussion right now." Justin paused for a few moments, finishing his pancakes. "Did you find Molly's present?"

Jennifer signaled for the check. "Yes, I did. I'm having a family party on the 29th. Do you think you can come? You could bring Brian if you want."

Justin laughed. "Brian would not come to Molly's sixteenth birthday party. A bunch of noisy, giggly females together would make his skin crawl. He would so kill me." Justin buttered his mom's toast as she had pushed her plate away. He bit into the slightly cold bread, but ate it anyway. "What time is it, and will Craig be there?"

"It's for dinner, Tucker is barbequing. I didn't invite your father. He already said something about taking her to the country club for dinner on her actual birthday."

"Okay. I'll have to see if Brian needs me, but if not, I can come for a while. I can't believe Mollusk is going to be sixteen. It seems like she should just be turning nine or ten."

"That's because you left home when she was that age." Jennifer placed her credit card on the bill and waited for the waitress to return. "I really enjoyed this weekend, Justin. You're not a child anymore...I'm so very pleased with the man you've become. Do you have another show any time soon?"

Justin fiddled with his spoon as he stirred his coffee. "Sam said something about a show in four to six months, but I didn't want to commit to anything. I have to look for studio space when I get back in Pittsburgh. I'm sure Brian would have a fit if I painted in the loft. Could you be on the lookout for something? Cheap is always good."

"I'll start looking next week. What is your price range?"

"I was paying $850 a month in New York, but I'm hoping I can find something for $500 or less in Pittsburgh . I don't need a lot of space, just a lot of light and running water. A bathroom would be good, but it's okay if it's down the hall. Something by the loft would be great, but I'll go as far as PIFA," Justin explained his parameters.

"I'll let you know when I have some properties for you to look at." Jennifer pushed her chair out and grabbed her purse. "We need to call a cab."

"I ordered the limo to pick us at 10:00 before he swings by Lindsay's hotel. Might as well get Brian's money's worth. Even if he isn't here, I can still enjoy the ride... and it beats a cab."

Jennifer laughed at the easy way her son incorporated Brian's lifestyle. "I see you have picked up a few tricks from Brian." She walked toward the front desk. "I checked out earlier, and the concierge is holding my bag. Let me get it."

"I'll get it, mom. Stay here and watch for the limo," Justin instructed.

Justin retrieved Jennifer's bag, and the limo drove up a few moments later. They got in and drove to Lindsay's hotel. The ride was short and neither said anything, but chose to look out the window, viewing New York through their own eyes.
________________________________________

Brian did not sleep well that night, tossing and turning as he tried to stave off the pain and keep his leg still. The transporter arrived early in the morning, taking him down to the orthopedic floor. He took him in his bed, as he was unsure if he could safely be transported in a wheelchair. The doctor examined him and reviewed the x-ray.

"Mr. Kinney, it appears that swelling isn't too significant, and we can cast your leg this morning. You will need to stay off the leg for at least a week and then we can determine if you can have a walking cast. Of course, you'll need to keep the cast absolutely dry."

"Fuck," Brian said after hearing the doctor's orders. "Can't I at least use crutches?"

"We'll see. You have a stick fracture, probably related to the weakness in the leg from your previous injury. I don't want you putting any weight on it for at least a week. We will take another x-ray then and see how it is healing."

"So how am I supposed to get around? The docs say I can leave on Monday," Brian asked.

"You'll have to use a wheelchair. Is your home accessible? If not, you might want to see if any of your friends will let you stay with them for a while."

Brian envisioned the front of his building again, but still couldn't remember if there was a ramp. He knew he could use the elevator, and the couch slept fine, even if it was a little short. Damn, and I was so looking forward to fucking Justin. Guess that will have to wait for a while. Shit! Justin will kill me when he sees this leg. And Debbie will chew me a new one, telling me I should have been more careful. It's all Justin's fault, if I wasn't thinking of him in the shower, then I wouldn't have jerked off...

While Brian was pondering his new challenges, the doctor began casting his leg. It was quickly set and finished.

"Mr. Kinney. Are you okay?" The doctor asked after calling Brian's name several times.

"Huh? What did you say?"

"I asked if you felt a pounding in your leg. Don't want the cast too tight, it could cause permanent damage. Now, do you feel your blood pounding in the leg?"

"No."

"Good. Then I think we're done here. I'll put my office number on your discharge papers. Be sure to make an appointment with my office to come in at the end of next week, and we'll take those first x-rays."

The orderly wheeled him to his room. While the bed was comfortable, he didn't want to be in it all day. He asked the orderly, "Can you help me in the wheelchair? I don't want to sit in bed all day." The orderly helped into the wheelchair, leaving the leg position elevated. He pulled the bed tray over to Brian and left him with his breakfast.

Brian ate a few bites of eggs and toast, and drank his orange juice. Justin is due back around lunchtime. Maybe I can convince him to bring me some decent food.

A knock on the door brought Jose in to view. "Brian! What happened?"

"I took a shower and fell. Now I've got a fucking broken leg," Brian bitched.

"Well, guess we won't be doing any therapy today. Will they discharge you on Monday?"

"Doc says I can still go home, but I can't put any fucking weight on my leg. I have to use this piece of shit chair for at least a week. Guess I'll have to find out if that ramp is there after all," Brian deadpanned, dreading that conversation.

"So sorry, man. I guess you'll be back for more therapy when the leg heals. At least it will be outpatient. I'll see you then."

"Stop. What do you mean, more therapy? I thought we were about done," Brian questioned before Jose left the room.

"It will take at least eight weeks for your leg to heal, and you will need some more therapy to regain the full strength in it."

"Shit! I'm never leaving this fucking medical stuff behind."

"I've got to go, Brian. Good luck, and I'll see you in a few months."

Brian pressed the call button and asked that the tray be removed, and he be given his paperwork from the desk.

Brian had been working on a new campaign for Brown Athletics fall line, when there was another knock on the door.

"What the fuck do you want?" he yelled without looking up from his papers.

"Oh my fucking god!!! What the hell happened?" Debbie said as she walked over to Brian, giving him a kiss on the cheek and then smearing her lipstick off.

"I fell in the fucking shower and broke my leg," Brian answered as he put down his pencil.

"Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not fucking okay! I have a broken leg," Brian repeated.

Debbie sat down in the opposite chair, staring at Brian, not saying anything.

"I'm not a circus animal, and I didn't grow horns overnight. What the fuck are you staring at, Deb?" Brian demanded.

Debbie shook her head. "Sorry. I'm just trying to picture your place. Can you walk?"

"Nope. Doc says I'm in this cozy chair for at least a week."

"Don't worry. I'll get Michael and Ben and Hunter and some of the boys from the diner to help you get in the loft. We'll take care of you. Don't you worry." Debbie got up to give Brian a hug but he feinted out of her way.

"Debbie, I do not need any help. I'm not an invalid," Brian groused.

"No. You're not an invalid, you just have a broken leg and you can't stand up. Now you listen to me. I'll call Michael and let him know what you're going to need so he can gather up the troops, and I'll cook you some puttanesca and some tuna casserole. Those are your favorites; I remember." Debbie stopped rattling off her ideas when she gazed at the clock. "Shit. I'm going to be late for my shift. I gotta go, Brian. I'll be back this afternoon. Get some rest." She leaned down and kissed him again; this time, he allowed her kiss.

Brian groaned loudly, but only said, "Goodbye, Deb." He watched Debbie leave his hospital room, and wished for Justin to return soon.