- Text Size +

When Debbie got to the diner she had ten minutes before her shift started, so she called Michael.

"Hello," Michael said groggily as he picked up the phone on the first ring.

"Good, you're awake," Debbie remarked.

"Ma," Michael said as he glanced at the clock on his nightstand. "It's not even 8:00. What's wrong?"

"You need to get to the hospital, Brian's been hurt," she urgently commanded.

"Ma. Slow down. You're not making any sense. Brian's been in the hospital for the last three weeks. How could he get hurt?" Michael asked as he got up out of bed and moved to the kitchen.

"He broke his fucking leg. Now, you need to go up there and cheer him up. Justin's still in New York, and he's all alone. He's going to need your help," Debbie explained as she talked quickly in to the phone.

"Shit! Are they going to let him go home? How is he going to get in the loft? How is he..."

"Michael Charles Novotny. Get dressed and go to the hospital. I have to start my shift. I'll see you when I get off, and we'll figure it all out," Debbie said before she disconnected the phone.

Ben woke up when he heard Michael on the phone. Glancing at the clock and seeing the early hour, he quickly got out of bed and joined his husband in the living room. Michael was holding the phone in his hand and staring at it.

"Michael," Ben said softly, trying to be quiet and not wake Hunter. "Who called?"

"That was Ma. Brian broke his leg and is in a wheelchair. He's really depressed and she wants me to go down and see him. Justin's out of town and I guess he can't come. That little shit. He races to Pittsburgh when Brian's in the hospital, but when things start to get better, he leaves for fancy New York and forgets about Brian. I'm going to make sure Brian knows he can't rely on Justin."

Ben rubs Michael's back and kisses him softly on his temple. "Now Michael, don't make any harsh judgments about Justin. You know he had to go to New York because he had a show. Knowing Brian, he hasn't even told Justin about his leg. Why don't we get dressed, get something to eat and go down to the hospital. I know you'll feel better once you've seen Brian."

"I've got to call Ted and Em. They'll want to know about Brian."

Ben shook his head in agreement. "Why don't you wait a little while? It's still really early. Let's get dressed and eat, and then we'll call the guys."

Michael turned and hugged Ben. "I love you. You're right. Join me in the shower?" He smiled wickedly as he grabbed Ben's hand.

After they showered and made love in the warm water, they dressed, and grabbed a quick bite. Ben had recently received a sizable advance from the publisher for his new book, and used that money to make a down payment on a car. They got in the car and made their way down to the hospital in record time.

"It's really nice to be able to hop in the car and go anywhere. It'll take me some time to get used to the luxury," Michael commented as he opened the car door at the hospital parking lot.

"Cars are nice, but I still prefer my bike or walking. Times like this, though, they do come in handy. Speaking of cars, does Brian still drive his Corvette?"

"Yeah. I'm surprised he hasn't upgraded to something more flashy, but you never know with Brian. Why?"

"Our car may come in handy when he leaves the hospital. He may not be able to get in his car with a cast on his leg. The Corvette is really close to the ground, and I don't think it really has a back seat."

Michael turned to kiss Ben. "You're so smart. Must be why I love you." He walked to the hospital door and started to go inside. "Shit! I didn't call Em and Ted. Let me do that before we go up."

The phone rang in Em's apartment, and he picked it up after the second ring. "Divine Party Planning. How may I help you?" Emmett crooned into the receiver.

"Em... it's Michael. Brian got hurt at the hospital and broke his leg. You'd better get down here. Ma said he's really down and won't eat."

"Oh sweetie, how terrible! Brian is just having a string of bad luck lately, the poor boy. I'll get dressed right away and come down to cheer him up. I'll bring some of those salmon cakes that he liked last week. He really gobbled those down," Emmett said as he started looking for an outfit that was cheerful and appropriate for the hospital. "I'll get ready and be right down."

"Thanks, Em. I've gotta call Ted. See you soon."

Michael called Ted.

"Hello," Ted answered.

"Ted, its Michael."

"I have caller ID. I know who it is," Ted responded.

"You need to get down to the hospital right away. Brian got hurt and broke his leg and he's really depressed. He hasn't eaten and sits in the dark. We have to help him," Michael whined.

"Calm down, Michael. How did he break his leg in the hospital?"

"I don't know. Ma was there this morning and she called me right after she left the hospital. He's in really bad shape," Michael explained.

"Okay. Okay. I'll be there in a little while. Have you called Em?"

"Yeah. Right before you. He's coming too. We've got to help Brian."

"See you soon, Michael. I'll be there," Ted assured Michael.

Ted showered and got dressed and then went to the hospital.

Michael joined Ben in the lobby. "You think I should get him some balloons. Maybe they'd cheer him up," Michael asked.

Ben put his hands on Michael's shoulders, turning Michael toward him. "Michael, this is Brian we're talking about. Brian does not do balloons, cutesy cards or flowers. You bring him cigarettes and beer- neither of which you can bring while he is here. Brian is not dying; he just broke his leg. Now, let's go see him."

Michael gave Ben a hug. "You're right. It's the Italian coming out in me." He sheepishly grinned.

They rode up the elevator and walked quickly to Brian's room. Michael knocked but didn't wait for an answer before barging in to Brian's room.

"Brian, I'm here. Are you okay? Are you in pain? What the fuck did you do? Do you need anything?..."

Brian turned toward the door and waved Ben in. "Ah, I see the Pittsburgh gay grapevine is up and working. I assume Deb called you," Brian remarked as he motioned for them to sit in the chairs.

Michael leaned down and kissed Brian quickly on the mouth. "It's going to be fine. I'll take care of you. I can get Hunter to watch the store..."

"Mikey, stop. I'm not dying. I just broke my leg. Justin will be able to help me just fine."

Michael looked at Brian sitting in the wheelchair, leg outstretched, wrapped in plaster; it was very disturbing. Brian looks so vulnerable. First the overdose, and now a broken leg. Brian Kinney is not supposed to be here! Wait, I'm freaking out here. This isn't Ben, where a stay in the hospital could mean he's not coming home. I've got to get a grip.

"So you're not dying, but jeez, Brian, what happened? I mean, you're in the fucking hospital! How do you break your leg in the hospital?"

Brian placed his papers on the tray table in front of him and turned toward Michael. "I took a fucking shower, and I passed out. Doc says I had low blood sugar from not eating. Mind you, if they had any decent food in this crappy hospital I might eat, but..." Brian finished with a disgusted look.

Michael grinned at Brian's little tirade. He must be okay if he's berating the food and the hospital. Brian Kinney is alive and well, just a little broken at the moment. "So, you were taking a shower. Didn't the nurses know to come check up on you?"

"I didn't tell them. I'm not Gus, who needs to be checked on whenever he's left alone for five minutes. How much damage could I do to myself while taking a shower? I've been cleaning myself up since I was five, probably younger, knowing what I do of St. Joan's mothering skills," Brian explained as he faced forward. "You're going to have to move your chair Mikey. Fucking leg is hard to maneuver, and my side is hurting like a son of a bitch."

Michael picked up the chair and placed it opposite Brian. "Now you don't have to twist to see me. Sorry, Brian."

"Sorry's bullshit. Haven't I taught you anything through the years, Mikey?" Brian chided.

A silence lay in the room, the three men quiet.

"With the cast, are the doctors still going to release you on Monday?" Ben asked, trying to break the silence.

Brian groaned. "Yep. They say a broken leg isn't enough of a reason to keep me in Chez Allegheny any longer. I'll be fucking glad to leave, too. The room has a fucking revolving door... and I thought the loft was bad! At least there, I can have my trusty gatekeeper tell everyone to go away." Brian grinned at the thought of Justin, his gatekeeper.

"From your grin, I guess you mean Justin?" Ben questioned.

"The little shit was only allowed to return from ‘Nude York' if he promised to be my gatekeeper."

"So he's coming back?" Michael asked, the whine in his voice barely disguised.

"Yeah. In fact..." Brian looked at the clock above his bed. "He should be leaving there about now. Mother Taylor and Lindsay went to see his show." Brian looked at Michael, his face showing a thinly-veiled look of acceptance. "Seems he thinks he needs to be here."

"He doesn't have to come back, Brian. I can take care of you. I've already talked to Hunter about taking some extra shifts at the store, and Ma told me she'll cook for you. I'm sure Em can come and stay with you between appointments- He's not that busy during the week. And Ben can help out during the weekends. He doesn't have classes, and he can prepare his lectures at your place as easy as at ours." Michael enthused as he looked at Ben for conformation of his plans.

Ben walked over to Michael, placing his hand on Michael's shoulder. He saw Brian's face as a slight scowl began to form, deepening as Michael outlined his plans.

"Mikey! I told you, Justin is coming back. It's his choice, and like I just told you, I want him here. Besides, I don't want a fucking revolving door at the loft. I'm tired of people coming in at all hours of the night and day to poke and prod my body. Not to mention, lying in bed all day and not fucking is really boring." Brian stopped his explanation as he thought of the phone sex he and Justin shared the other night. He felt the blood flowing to his cock and tried to ignore the sensation. "At least if I'm in bed at my loft, Justin can be giving me a blow job to pass the time. I'm afraid my dick is seriously going to implode when I get home; it's only been serviced a few times in the last month."

Michael grinned when he heard Brian complaining, assured that his friend was back to normal. Then, what Brian had said registered. "What did you just say? You mean, you and Justin had sex in your hospital room? I can't believe you Brian!"

Brian grinned at Michael's discomfort. "Why Michael, you're turning red. Of course Justin and I got off. Only a few times. Seems the young man has a few proprietary notions still left intact. I will have to work on ridding him of his prudishness."

"But weren't you worried that someone would come in? What would the nurses say? You could get into a lot of trouble." Michael frowned as he looked at Brian.

"What could they do, Michael... call the cops to report me for indecent exposure?" Brian made a phone receiver sign with his pinky and thumb. "'Excuse me, sir, you need to send a policeman right away. We have a patient here that is exposing himself.' The police would laugh their asses off. The most they could have done would be to tell Justin to stop, and then the poor boy would have been so embarrassed he would've refused to blow me until I got home. Luckily for all parties involved, that didn't happen, and I will be getting out of here in a few days time."

Brian picked up his papers, shuffling them in some unknown order. "I've got work to do before Justin comes back this afternoon. If you'll leave, I might get some of it done."

"But Brian, what about when you leave here... How are you going to get home? Can you get in the loft? I'm sure you'll need our help!"

Ben turned Michael around, kissing him quiet. "Michael, nothing needs to be decided today. Brian has work to do, and you need to get to the store. Didn't you tell me there is a new issue of Rage coming out next week, and that you had to set up the posters in the store and on Liberty Avenue to advertise?"

Brian nodded toward Ben, silently showing his appreciation of the big man's tactics.

"You're right. I do have a lot to do. I'll come back tonight to keep you company, Brian," Michael announced.

"Michael, I think Brian would rather be alone with Justin tonight. After all, he hasn't seen him for three days, and I'm sure he would like to hear about the show," Ben reminded his husband.

Michael stood up and leaned over Brian, kissing him on the lips. " OK. Well, I guess I'll see ya."

"You too, Mikey. Now professor, why don't you take your husband to work, and let me get some work done as well."

"Take care, Brian. Say hi to Justin for me." Ben replied, and then he and Michael left the room and walked down to the lobby.

"I can't believe he wants Justin to help him. I didn't think he would be that way," Michael commented to Ben as they made their way to the parking lot.

"Why not? If I were sick, I'd want you there. What's the difference?" Ben clicked the automatic doors and the locks unlocked.

Michael climbed in and grabbed his seatbelt, buckling it as he looked at Ben in the driver seat. "Of course I'd want you there, you're my husband! But Justin isn't Brian's husband. He lives in New York, and Brian lives here. They're not even together."

"Michael, you need to stop thinking of Brian as single person. He may not live in the same city as Justin, but he and Justin are together. He's told you that he wants him here with him, and that should be enough for you. Let Brian grow up." Ben turned the key in the ignition and turned around to back out of the spot.

"What do you mean, grow up? He's 35 years old. Of course, he's grown up," Michael said as he questioned Ben.

Ben pulled out of the spot and drove to the far corner of the hospital lot, and then turned off the car.

"What are you doing? I thought we were leaving; I have to get to work," Michael asked.

"I don't want to have this conversation while I'm driving," Ben explained. He turned toward Michael and spoke slowly, but sternly. "Michael, I've watched you and Brian for over five years now, and many things have changed during that time. We found Hunter, adopted him, got married, moved away from Liberty Avenue and are living a wonderful life. During that time, Brian and Justin have changed, too. Brian asked Justin to marry him and Justin agreed. Even though they didn't get married, they were still in each other's lives. The fact that Brian never changed his Power of Attorney and kept Justin as his Medical Proxy means he still felt Justin was a very important part of his life. Brian is a business man, first and foremost, and he does not leave things like that to chance." He paused while he let his words sink in. Leaning over he kissed Michael on the lips, and then continued. "He's told you he wants Justin here; I think, maybe, this overdose was a wake up call for him. Maybe he's ready to change. Don't make him choose between you and Justin. You'll lose."

Michael sat back in his seat, closing his eyes against the words Ben spoke. "But I'm his best friend...I know him better than anyone," Michael started his familiar chant.

"Michael." Ben took his chin and turned his face towards him, caressing it gently. "You're not fourteen anymore, and neither is Brian. He'll always be your friend, but I think it's time for Justin to be his best friend."

"But..."Michael began.

Ben kissed him quiet and Michael savored the moment.

"I guess Justin is his best friend. After all, didn't he say he was his gatekeeper?"

Ben nodded. "Yes."

"I guess Brian still has his walls to protect himself. I hope he'll be okay," Michael said sadly.

"He hasn't gone away Michael, just grew up. You grew up, now its Brian's turn."

"I'll still visit him. Justin can't keep me away," Michael said with defiance.

"Justin doesn't want you to stay away, and neither does Brian. We just have to allow them the chance to be together, to heal," Ben said.

"I love you, Ben Bruckner. You're so smart. How did I ever get so lucky?"

"I love you too, Michael Novotny Bruckner. Now, let's get you to work so you can sell the public their next installment of Rage. Do you think you'll make a comic based on Brian's overdose? I know the comic has mirrored their lives..."

Michael thought for a few moments before answering. " I don't think so. Rage has to have some secrets. I'll talk it over with Justin and see what he thinks, but we have a while yet. There are still three issues at the printers."

Ben turned the car on and got on the Turnpike. Getting off at Liberty Avenue, he let Michael off in front of the comic book store.

Michael leaned over and kissed his husband before opening the door. "Thanks for everything this morning. See you tonight."

"I'll pick you up at 6:00. Hunter's going out with some friends from school. Maybe we could rent a movie or something."

Michael smiled cockily, ducking his head back in the car. "Or something." He shut the car door, and then took out his keys to open the store.