- Text Size +

"Attention passengers. We're approaching Pittsburgh International Airport. Please put your seats and lap tables in an upright position. Please turn off any cell phones and electronic equipment until we have landed. A flight attendant will be walking around to gather any trash. Thank you for flying Liberty Air, and have a nice day," the flight attendant enthused over the airline intercom.

Justin looked out the window of the airplane at the Allegheny River, its meandering shores a familiar landmark for the city. His mind drifted back to a 6th grade geography lesson where his teacher gave each student the assignment to prepare a report on a local point of interest, and he'd been assigned the river. At first he thought it was a silly assignment, but then his mom had encouraged him to make a scale model of the river and report on its impact on the region. He worked on the scale river for weeks and got an "A" on the project. He had placed blue saran wrap on top of clay and placed little boats on the river. All of his friends thought his river was fascinating, way better than their boring poster boards. That was the first time I used my artistic talent for school. I owe everything to that geography teacher. What was her name?

His mother looked at him, placing her hand on his forearm. "The way you're looking out the window and practically jumping out of your seat, you'd think you'd never been in an airplane before," Jennifer gently teased him.

"I'm just happy to be back. I can't wait to tell Brian about the show and all the paintings I sold. And, he's supposed to be going home on Monday." Justin paused smiling his famous grin at his mother. "Mom. I know what it means to be an adult. For the first time in my life, I feel I have direction, a plan. For so many years, I've reacted to circumstances that have been out of my control. I met Brian and Dad kicked me out of my home." Justin saw his mom wince and start to respond, but he shook his head no, signaling that he wanted to continue his thoughts. "I went to live with Brian and got kicked out again. Then I got bashed, came home, and then went to live with Brian again. Both of those times he took me in because of circumstance. We've lived together off and on for most of my adult life, and I hope to live with him again, this time permanently."

The plane started to descend and Justin popped a piece of gum in his mouth, offering one to his mother. They placed the wrapper in the bag located on the lap table. Justin turned back to his mom and continued his conversation.

"Moving to New York was important for my career, but Brian had a lot to do with the move. In our own way, we agreed that I needed to go. Now, I'm moving back and it is a decision I've made solely on my own. I'm supporting myself with my painting and I've made a name for myself. I've grown up, and I'm not going to let anyone dictate where I should live my life; not Sam, my agent, not Lindsay, and not even Brian," Justin finished his little speech, hoping his mom understood.

"Justin, you know I just want you to be happy," Jennifer started her conversation. She saw Justin nod and continued. "But what if things with Brian don't work out? What will you do?"

Justin sighed loudly, took a deep breath and answered. "Mom. I will always love him and even if we're not together, he'll always be my friend and mentor. Don't forget that he asked me to marry him once. He still loves me, and I love him. I've got to do this. Please give me your support."

"Of course, sweetheart." Jennifer squeezed Justin's forearm again as the plane landed.

Lindsay was in the seat behind them and heard much of the conversation, but she didn't add her thoughts.

As they got off the plane, Justin looked at the women. "I ordered a limo to take us all home. I figured everyone would be busy on a Saturday morning, and I know no one wants to drive out here. When I used to come back from New York, Brian would just send the limo to pick me up. He hated the drive through two counties to get home," Justin announced to the women. "Let's get our luggage and find our ride." He walked to the baggage carousel and waited for his luggage. Once it arrived, they went outside and quickly found their limo.

The three sat back in the limo and looked out at the familiar sites.

"When do you want to come to dinner, Justin?" Lindsay asked after ten minutes of silence.

"Oh. I'd totally forgotten about that," Justin admitted.

Lindsay frowned at his statement.

"But, I do want to come. I bought Gus a present in New York and I want to give it to him." Justin smiled when he saw Lindsay's face soften at the mention of his gift.

"Brian's supposed to be released on Monday. Why don't we say Thursday? That should give us a few days to get him settled and used to the loft again. Hopefully, the family will let him rest, not be coming and going like usual."

"That sounds wonderful. I know Gus will be excited. He's missed you since you've been in New York." She smiled sweetly.

That bitch. I'd love to just reach over and smack her. I wouldn't have been in New York if she hadn't shown Brian that article. Of course, I do owe her for showing him that article, but..... I just wish she would let Brian be a dad to Gus and let us lead our lives without her interference. Of course, if wishes were.... Shit I can't remember that saying, but I know it fits.

"I hope to be around a lot more these days, so I'm sure I'll be seeing Gus a lot. He's grown up so much since last summer. I guess he'll be starting school soon."

"He's already in school, 2nd grade and JR will be in pre-kindergarten next fall," Lindsay informed Justin.

"Wow. I guess I've been so busy I didn't realize it. That makes sense, I've known Brian for over seven years and we met the night Gus was born."

Lindsay nodded her head in agreement and Jennifer winced a little.

"I think I'm going to try to take a quick nap. I didn't get much sleep these last few days, been really busy packing the apartment, shopping for Molly's present and attending the show," Justin explained as he yawned.

"You packed your apartment?" Jennifer asked in astonishment.

"Yep. No reason to make another trip when I've decided to come back here. Besides I had to let the super know he can rent it again. I paid the last two months rent, but the next time I come back, I'll stay in a hotel. Hotels are much nicer than my apartment." Justin leaned back into the seat and closed his eyes.

The driver dropped Lindsay and Jennifer off first. He left his things at his mom's, hoping that either she or Daphne would bring them to Daphne's later that night. He then had the driver drop him off at the hospital, tipping the driver generously. He made his way up to the fifth floor, his heart starting to pound in anticipation of seeing Brian.

As he rounded the corner to Brian's room, he heard voices coming from his room. He wondered what the heated discussion was this time.

"Brian, I can have some Kinnetik employees come and take you home. You know John, in accounting, is a body builder. And Sam in the print shop is always at the gym. Why last week..."

"Teddy, don't be ridiculous. Brian doesn't want Kinnetik staff helping him get in the building. Why that would show weakness and you know Brian is not weak. I'll just get Drew to enlist some of his football buddies to help Brian and his heavy cast up the stairs to the loft. My Drewsie is so strong." Emmett held his hand to his chest as he smiled.

"Well you do have a point, Em. I'm sure the staff would help Brian out, but the scuttlebutt would be heavy. Imagine what they would say if they saw the loft and his beautiful furniture. Not to mention the paintings on the wall."

"My point exactly, Teddy. Drewsie has all those beefy football players he can ask. And picking up little ol' Brian wouldn't be anything. I swear, the muscles on those men..." Emmett fanned himself with a wave of his fingers.

"WILL THE TWO OF YOU SHUT UP? I'M GETTING A HEADACHE."

"Sorry Brian," they said in unison.

"Sorry's bull shit. Now that the two of you have decided my fate for the next month, why don't you let me have my headache in peace. I'm sure the bitch social worker will be in here sometime today to discuss the 'plans' for my release, and I'll decide then."

"Okay, Brian. Do you need me to take anything to the office, or do you want anything?" Ted solicited.

"Did you take the Pool Boy papers to the art department?"

"Yes. I checked on the art work before I left last night and they've almost finished the boards."

"Good. I'm working on the Liberty Air account now, should have it finished by Monday, if I don't have too many interruptions." He glared at the two men. "Can you bring my laptop by the loft on Monday? Sitting at my computer may be difficult with this damn cast."

Justin heard the word cast as he reached the door and rushed in the room.

"OH MY GOD, BRIAN. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED! ARE YOU OKAY?" Justin yelled as he looked at Brian sitting in the wheelchair with his leg in a cast.

Brian wheeled his chair so that it faced the door. "Justin. The artist returns" he stated nonchalantly.

"Brian..." Justin started to respond, but instead leaned down and French kissed Brian.

Ted and Emmett took that as their clue to leave, and walked around the kissing couple.

Justin's back was starting to hurt, so he broke the kiss and placed several closed mouth kisses on Brian's lips. "What happened, or better yet, when did this happen?"

Brian motioned for Justin to sit so he wouldn't have to keep looking up at him from his chair. Justin pulled over a chair and faced Brian.

"It's all your fault, twat," Brian explained quietly.

Justin frowned at him and Brian laughed.

"I was horny and you weren't here to remedy my problem."

"What has that got to do with a broken leg?" Justin asked, trying to follow Brian's statement.

"I took a shower and jerked off thinking of you against the glass at the loft; open, eager and tight. Of course, the docs say it was low blood sugar from not eating the crappy food." Brian grinned as he explained.

"Oh my God. I can't believe you broke your leg jerking off in the shower. Only you could be such a queen," Justin sing songed.

"Shut up. I was horny and you weren't here. I couldn't just up and go to Babylon. I'm sure the traffic in the back room has really suffered since my little visit to "Chez Allegheny", Brian quipped.

Justin grinned at Brian's mention of Babylon, as this was Brian's way of joking about the situation. At least he's not bitching about the leg and the cast. There is that. "Well, I'm here now, and you won't have to jerk off anymore."

"Good-that's comforting to know. Although it will be hell trying to give me a blow job with this fucking cast. You'll just have to wait for me to fuck your sweet ass until I get this stupid thing off. And I was so looking forward to shoving my dick up that tight hole of yours," Brian teased.

"Damn, and I was so looking forward to not walking straight for the next few days," Justin teased. "Can you still leave the hospital on Monday?"

"Yep. Docs say that a broken leg won't keep me here. I can't wait to get home to the loft. No more fucking revolving doors, and no more bitches trying to get me into treatment."

Justin winced at the mention of the social worker and chemical dependency treatment. We're going to have to talk about that sometime, but not today. He's got too much on his plate. "You mean she's still bugging you about that? I thought you told her no fucking way," Justin asked as he leaned over and kissed Brian on the mouth again.

"I told her no, but she came back. It has not been a good few days," Brian sighed as he leaned his head back, fighting the headache that was pounding at his temples.

"Are you okay? Can I get you something?" Justin asked as he recognized the signs of one of Brian's headaches.

"Call the nurse. Push that little button on the bed and tell them I want some Tylenol."

"Can't they give something stronger? I know your headaches are a bitch." Justin questioned.

"No. Seems the good doc is monitoring my intake of pain medication. I think it's a conspiracy to try to convince me that I need treatment."

Justin pushed the button and explained the situation. Fifteen minutes later a nurse was there to give Brian his medication.

"Can't he have anything stronger? He's in a lot of pain," Justin pleaded with the nurse and gave her his most sincere look.

"Sorry, not right now. He had some Vicodin earlier, but I can't give him it again for several hours. I can give him a Tylenol now and he can have more Vicodin at 3:00 pm."

Justin watched as the nurse gave Brian the pills and a glass of water. "Thank you," he said as she turned to leave the room.

"You're welcome. I'll be back in a while to check on your friend."

"Want to get in bed?"

Brian smiled thinly. "That's the best proposition I've had all day."

Justin laughed and repeated, "Do you want to get in bed?"

Brian thought for a minute, and then nodded his head. "Yeah, sleep sounds good. I didn't sleep very much last night."

Justin buzzed the nurses station again and asked that an orderly come and assist Brian into the bed. Two orderlies came a few minutes later and helped Brian into the bed. They propped his leg on a pillow and left. Justin watched the men as they assisted Brian. How the fuck am I going to help him when he gets home? I can't lift him and that damn cast. I guess Emmett and Ted realized that, and were offering their assistance, and the great Brian Kinney was being his normal stubborn self telling them he could do it alone. Shit! God damn! We are so fucked. Well, I guess we'll deal.

"Justin, can you shut the light off? I think I'll try to sleep, see if I can get rid of this headache. It's only a little after 1:00 and Debbie, Michael, Ben, Ted and Emmett have all been here, so I think I'm safe. Any more visitors and I'll have to start charging admission."

Justin leaned down and kissed Brian gently on the lips. "Sleep. I'm going to grab something to eat and then I'll be back." Justin turned out the light and walked down to the cafeteria.