- Text Size +

He made his way to the fifth floor and stepped off the elevator, listening for signs of Brian's family in the room. He was relieved when he didn't hear any noise coming from Brian's room, 514. He didn't knock and found Brian reading in bed.

"Hey," Justin said.

"Where the fuck have you been?" Brian chastised Justin.

Justin leaned over the bed, placing a chaste kiss on Brian's lips. Brian opened his mouth, slipping Justin's tongue into his mouth. They kissed for several minutes before Justin broke off the kiss.

"I went to the loft to check things out...see if you could get around. Brought you some clothes to come home in, too."

"And..." Brian urged.

"Did you know that there is a back entrance to the building, and there's a ramp there? You could easily use a wheelchair or walk up the ramp if you wanted. It would be a lot easier than the stairs." Justin imparted in his public service announcement voice.

"Of course I knew that, twat. I live there." Brian responded. "Go on."

"The loft doesn't seem to be an issue. It is really big and spacious, and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting around. However, the stairs leading to the bedroom are pretty steep, so I'm not sure about those."

"I'm not fucking sleeping on the couch for eight weeks!" Brian announced.

"We'll figure it out. Maybe I can get one of the gang to build a temporary ramp that can be placed over the stairs. It's not a big area, and should be easy. The other problem is the bathroom," Justin hesitated, as he didn't want to explain the reality to Brian.

"Justin," Brian said impatiently. "Finish your goddamn survey results."

"There's no tub and you can't take a shower with your cast. So... i"llbegivingyou spongebathsforthenexteightweeks." Justin said really quickly.

"Repeat that. I don't think I heard you say you'll be giving me sponge baths," Brian chillingly demanded.

"You can't get the cotton of your cast wet. There is no tub and you can't stand on your leg, or put it outside the shower," Justin reasoned.

"I can wrap my cast, and there is such a thing as a shower chair. I used one while I was here, before they allowed me to take a shower. You think I haven't bathed in a month? You must be crazy," Brian announced.

"Oh..."

Brian let Justin stew for a few minutes, enjoying his embarrassment. "Anything else you discovered in your little visit to the loft?"

Justin shook his head, but then opened his mouth. "Uh, there is one more thing."

"And that is. Come on Justin, just spit it out."

"You're going to have to wear lounge pants or sweats home. I looked in your closet and there isn't anything that will fit over your cast."

"I already figured that one out. Are you finished with the disaster list?" Brian smiled at Justin, letting him know that he was gently teasing him and that he did appreciate the thought.

"Yes."

"Good, then ask Drew or Ted to get someone to make that ramp you talked about, and talk to Jose about the best way to wrap my cast. Problems solved."

"Sure. I can do that. Wow, I can't believe you are finally going home tomorrow. It seems like you've been in here forever."

"It has, and all you've done is visit. I've had to live here. I will be happy to be back at the loft."

The dietary aide knocked on the door and brought Brian his lunch. Justin kept him company while he ate, and then excused himself to grab some food from the cafeteria. When he returned, Brian was half asleep on the bed. Justin removed the tray table and shut off the light. Leaning down, he kissed Brian and told him, "Later."

He left the room and made his way to the Physical Therapy area. He watched as Jose finished working with a patient, and then signaled to him that he was there.

"Hey, Justin. What can I do for you?"

"I need to know how to wrap Brian's cast so he can take a shower."

"That's easy. Wrap it in Saran Wrap or a large plastic trash bag, and then tape it closed-use surgical tape. If the material gets a little wet, blow dry it. That isn't likely, but you do need to be careful. Also remember, he can't stand on it in the shower."

"Okay. Wrap it, tape it, and blow it dry if it gets wet. Should be easy."

"Does he have a shower chair?"

"I don't know."

"Get him one before you go home. Make sure it fits in the shower and that all the legs sit evenly on the floor of the shower. The last thing you need is for him to fall off the chair and break the leg again or hurt another body part," Jose explained. He looked at his watch. "Sorry, Justin, but I'm late for another patient. I'll try to stop in at Brian's room later today, and I'll answer any other questions you guys might have."

"Thanks." Justin shook Jose's hand and went back to Brian's room. He was still sleeping, so he went to the visitor's lounge and got out his cell phone.

"Em's Party Planning. How may I serve you?" Em answered when the phone rang.

"Hi Em. It's Justin. Do you know how I can reach Drew?"

"Hi sweetie! Well, he's at home, I think. The winter is the slow season for my man. He's probably watching some boring training tape of a previous game, or reading a play book. Why?"

"I need to talk to him about getting Brian home tomorrow."

"Of course! He'll be happy to help. Give him a ring -here's his cell number in case he's not at home. It's 555-5555. I'll come by the loft tomorrow afternoon after Brian is settled."

"Em, could you wait until Tuesday? He's bound to be tired, and I don't want him too overwhelmed," Justin hedged, hoping Em would not question the little white lie.

"Of course, sweetie. Tuesday it is. In fact, why don't I bring some of my famous crab cakes for lunch. He loved those."

"That would be great. See you then."

Justin called Drew and found him at home.

"Drew, you offered earlier to help Brian get home, is that offer still on?"

"Of course. Tell me when and where and I'll be there."

"I think he can leave at any time, but I was thinking after 9:30. That way the traffic will have died down and the ride won't be as long."

"No problem. Is he going to need help getting up the steps? Do I need to get some football players to assist?" Drew asked Justin.

"No. I found there's a ramp in the back of the building that he can use. You're just there for insurance. But if you know anyone who can build a temporary ramp for the stairs going up to the bedroom, that would be great."

"No problem. A short ramp should do the trick. I'll call one of the guys right now and get him started. It shouldn't take but a few hours to put together. What time do you want me there?" Drew asked.

"I was looking at leaving after 9:00, miss the traffic. So why don't you plan on being there by 8:30?"

"Okay, Justin, I'll see you then."

After disconnecting, Justin flipped his phone out again and called Michael.

"Red Cape Comics," Michael answered.

"Hi Michael, its Justin."

"Hi, Justin. Everything okay?" he asked solicitously.

"Everything's fine."

"Good. What time is Brian coming home? I know he'll want me there."

"About that...I was wondering if you'd wait until Tuesday to come by. He's going to be really worn out and cranky. I know you're concerned about him, but..."

Michael was silent on the other end of the line. You need to let Brian grow up. Justin is his best friend now. He sighed loudly. "Yeah, sure; but if you need anything, just call. You know I can be there really fast."

"Thanks, Michael, I will. I know he'll want to see you on Tuesday. Talk to you soon."

He made similar calls to Debbie and Lindsay, who both reluctantly agreed to wait until Tuesday to drop by. He looked at his watch, and saw that he'd been gone almost two hours. He returned to Brian's room, hoping to find him awake.

As Justin rounded the corner, he again listened for any noise from Brian's room, and was relieved that it was quiet. He looked in and saw Brian moving restlessly, his body signaling its readiness to wake up. Justin walked in, sat in the chair and watched his lover. Within fifteen minutes Brian woke up.

"Hey...guess I fell asleep again. It must be something in the food. I never used to fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon unless it was for a post-fuck nap," Brian joked.

"Must be the food. I hear a lot of patients fall asleep in the hospital, so that is the only logical explanation," Justin agreed.

"So, what have you been up to while I was enjoying my beauty sleep?"

Justin stood up and opened the curtains and turned on the light. "I talked to Jose about your cast and how to make it waterproof. Then, I called Drew; a back up plan for tomorrow, in case something prevents you from getting into the building."

"That shouldn't have kept you busy for very long. Don't tell me that you've been watching me sleep the whole time? If so, you really need to get out more," Brian teased.

"Actually, I made a few more phone calls. I called Debbie, Lindsay and Michael."

"Why?"

"I asked them not to come by until Tuesday. You said I had to be your gatekeeper," Justin explained his actions.

Brian laughed. "You think they'll honor your request?"

"Why wouldn't they? They're all adults," Justin explained.

"You want to bet on this?"

"No," Justin said in a resigned voice. "But..."

"As you said earlier, Lindsay thinks she has all the answers on how I should live my life. Debbie, well she's my other mother and Mikey... well, Mikey is Mikey."

"Okay. Point taken. So when they show up, I'll tell them you're asleep," Justin chimed in, as he smiled a bit.

"They'll just come back. Best to let them in and then quickly ask them to leave." Brian assured Justin. "You'll do just fine. Now, why don't you go down to the cafeteria and get us some food? I'm not looking forward to the fine cuisine in this establishment. Then, you and I can have a meal together. It's been a while," Brian suggested.

Justin smiled. "What do you want?"

"Surprise me. I feel like indulging. Maybe I can convince you to indulge me even more after dinner." Brian raised his eyebrow.

"Are you soliciting me?" Justin laughed at Brian's flagrant question.

"Interpret it any way you want. Now go, I'm actually hungry." Brian made a shooing motion with his hand and Justin left.

Justin returned with a steak and baked potato for both of them. He also brought some ice cream, which he had the cafeteria lady place in a cold food bag to keep it from melting.

"Want to sit in the chair, or do you want to eat in bed?"

"I've been in bed for hours." Brian stopped when he heard his statement. "And without the benefit of a good ass to pin to the mattress, I will say it is rather boring." He raised his eyebrows as he looked at Justin, who was laughing at his bluntness. "I'd like to get out of bed. Why don't you hand me those crutches, and let me try my hand at them?"

Justin handed Brian his crutches and watched anxiously as Brian maneuvered himself into the chair by the bed. "That was great!" Justin exclaimed.

"I didn't fucking win the Olympics, Justin. The theatrics aren't necessary," Brian said gruffly. "Let's eat before the food gets cold."

Brian bit into his steak and chewed the slightly tough meat. "It's edible. I guess they can cook better than the diner. Then again, who can't? But, when we get home, I think I'll have you cook us some of your famous jambalaya," Brian proclaimed after he finished about five bites of the meat.

"Sure. We can make a list of things you'd like me to make, and I can go shopping after you're settled."

"Justin," Brian warned. "We're still not lesbians with the little cottage and the white picket fence in the front yard. We're still queer; that hasn't changed. We're not the happy little couple."

Justin nodded. He's still Brian Kinney, and change is hard for him. I really don't want a happy little domestic arrangement like Mel and Linds, or Michael and Ben. Shit, I really don't know what I want, except that I want Brian. And worrying about it is not going to solve anything, so I better just take it one step at a time. "The steak isn't half bad. My potato is really good, too."

"I bet you had better in New York," Brian stated. "Speaking of New York, we never really talked about your visit," Brian stated. He picked up his fork and stabbed his potato, cutting it in half. He fluffed the potato, and then placed a small amount of butter and sour cream on it. "Not a word about the fat, Justin. I do indulge occasionally, especially when other avenues are closed to me."

"What do you want to know? I told you the show was a success," Justin asked. He also prepared his potato, but he placed three times the sour cream and butter on his.

Brian placed his thumb by his front tooth for a moment as he formulated his thoughts. "For starters, how many people were there? What did the critics say? Was that cunt reporter from Art Forum there?"

Justin took a few bites of his potato, and then placed his fork on the small tray. It was very cramped with both of them eating on the table, but neither had commented on the close quarters. "I'd say there were about one hundred people there. I don't know how many of them were there for Jerome, the other artist, but most of them seemed to look at all the art work."

"One hundred people sounds pretty good. I guess Sam is getting the word out," Brian observed. He finished the last few bites of potato and drank some water, and then laid his silverware over the plate.

"I'm not sure about the critics. The reviews come out in today's paper, and Sam promised to send them to me- I like to keep the paper copies. Anyway, I should be able to look them up on line. I was just running so late this morning that I really didn't think of it," Justin admitted.

Brian frowned. "You have to stay on top of things, Justin. This is your career. I can't be your main focus," Brian chastised him.

Justin managed to finish his last bite of potato, and placed his silverware on the plate as well. He jerkily got up and moved the tray away from Brian, then spun back to face his lover.

"It is MY CAREER, Brian! Let me handle it!" he nearly yelled.

"Okay, okay," Brian said softly. After a moment's pause, he added, "So was the reporter there from the Forum?"

"Yeah. Sam pointed him out to me- he told me that he overheard him talking to a columnist; he said that the work was really good." Justin walked over to the curtains, closing them again as it had gotten dark and the lights from the city were glaring into the room. He sat down in the chair opposite Brian. "It was a good show. Maybe next time, you can come."

"We'll see. Can't commit, but I'd like to be there."

 

TBC