- Text Size +

Brian did his therapy, and he was able to walk the hallway twice. When he was finished, a fine sheen of sweat covered his face. He lay on the mat while Jose completed his range of motion.

"Justin, do you want to do the honors?" Jose asked.

"Sure," Justin said as he quickly walked to the mat area. "Brian, you're sweating like you ran a mile long race." Justin commented. He turned to Jose. "Is that normal? I mean, for him to be so tired and sweaty." He tried to keep the worry out of his voice, but it was evident.

"Don't worry, Justin. Brian's been in bed for several weeks. His body is still weak, but he's making remarkable progress. I'm really pleased that he walked the hallway twice this morning." Jose picked up Brian's chart and made some notes in it while he watched Justin. "Don't be afraid of hurting him Justin. Push a little harder on his hamstrings. He's really tight there." Jose demonstrated his massage again. "They took out his sutures this morning, so he's a little tender over that area, but it will help the area heal if we get the blood circulating in there."

"I didn't notice that they took your stitches out, Brian. Why didn't you say something?"

"I don't tell you everything, twat. You want me to tell you when I take a piss, too? Oh yeah, you walked in on that one, didn't you," Brian snidely commented.

Justin blushed, but didn't comment. He continued the massage and perform the range of motion exercises on Brian's legs. When he completed the routine, he moved out of the way so Jose could place Brian back in his wheelchair. He walked behind them as Jose returned Brian to his room.

"Want to rest, or do you want to sit for awhile?" Jose asked Brian.

"I'll sit in the chair. I'm not too tired this morning." Brian motioned his hand toward the chair, and Jose helped him into it.

"I'll be back this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow we can start walking a few stairs." Brian rolled his eyes and watched Jose leave the room.

"So..."

"So," Justin repeated. "What now? Do you want to look at my notebook on what's happening at Kinnetik again, or is there something else you want to do?"

"Another blow job would be nice, but I actually think I'm too tired too enjoy it," Brian half joked. "I'm going to close my eyes for a few minutes, and then we can talk about your upcoming trip."

"Okay." Justin grabbed the extra blanket off the bed and placed it on Brian. He pulled out his to-do list and started reviewing it.

Brian slept for an hour, and woke with a start. "Shit! That was some dream!" Brian rubbed his hands over his face and through his hair a few times.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Justin. We. Are. Not. Lesbians. We don't talk about everything," Brian said curtly.

"I know, but..."

"Jesus! Okay, I was dreaming about being in the loft, and I had a drink in my hand, and then it fell and I fell too."

"Oh. That's weird," Justin commented.

"Yeah, I know. It was pretty damn vivid."

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. "Lunch," the dietary aide announced. She placed the tray on the hospital cart, and smiled at Brian and Justin. I'll be back in a while to pick up your empties," she said as she walked out of the room.

"Justin, what is that? It smells vile, even from here."

Justin lifted the top and attempted to identify the food. "It looks like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. There are green beans on the side. I think this is tapioca pudding, but I'm not sure." Justin turned toward Brian. "I can grab something from the cafeteria for you. Although, I'm not sure it's any more edible."

Brian motioned for Justin to move the tray cart closer to his chair and lower it to that level. He opened the plastic covered silverware and took a leery smell of the plate. "Smells worse from up close." Brian picked up his fork and put some mashed potatoes on it, and placed the white mess in his mouth. He quickly spit it out. "Yep, vile." He put some meatloaf on his fork and took a tentative bite of it, managing to swallow it. "No worse than the diner. At least I don't have Deb smacking her gum in my ear as I eat it." He grinned at the picture of Deb that flashed in his mind. He took several more bites of the meatloaf, and then tasted the green beans. "They're limp. I always thought green beans were supposed to be straight and stiff, like a cock, not limp. Leave it to the hospital to ruin even green beans." He ate a few forks full of beans and drank his juice. "Best part of the meal. Guess they can't fuck up juice." Brian put down his silverware and pushed the cart away. "I'm done. Maybe you can sneak me a turkey sandwich and some lemon bars tomorrow. Aren't you having dinner with Mommy Dearest to get your ticket for New York?"

Justin had been half watching Brian pick at his lunch and half reviewing his own work. At the mention of New York, his ears perked up, and he turned toward Brian. "What about New York?"

"Ah I see I regained your attention. Aren't you supposed to go to dinner with Mother Taylor today so you can get your plane ticket?"

"Uhh Yeah. Did I tell you that?"

"Who is the one in the hospital and just awakened from a coma, Sunshine?"

Justin smiled at Brian's ribbing. "Yeah, I'm supposed to meet mom tonight."

"I take it she knows why you're here?"

"She knows. Why?"

"Just wondering."

Justin got up and moved the tray cart out of Brian's way so he could sit more comfortably. "Brian, you don't just wonder anything. What is going on in your scheming little brain?"

"I do not have a scheming little brain. I have a very large brain," Brian laughed at Justin's defensiveness. "I'm wondering if she has lectured you."

"Oh."

"Oh. Is that all you have to say?" Brian repeated.

"Well, she wasn't too happy when she learned that I was here for you, but then when she found out what happened.... Well, she got over herself, and she's called everyday for an update."

"Nice to know there is someone in this world who isn't going to give me advice, and just wants information," Brian smiled a small grin. "Wish there was a fucking clock in view. I hate not knowing what time it is," Brian remarked as he scanned the walls.

"There's a clock above your bed. Why do you care what time it is? It's not like you wear a watch," Justin said as he put down his note book. He pointed to the clock above Brian's bed.

"I may not wear a watch, but time is an important part of my business. I have meetings to attend, and conference calls to make at appointed times, and I always need to know the time."

"But Brian, you're in the hospital, and the only appointment you have is with Jose, and he comes to you. I don't see the big deal." Justin frowned as he tried to make sense of Brian's ramblings.

A knock was heard and a female voice asked, "Can I come in?"

Brian answered, "Yes, Cynthia."

Justin stood up to shake hands with Cynthia and pulled the other chair closer to the bed. "I understand now," Justin said as he nodded to Cynthia. "I'll leave you two and I'll get something to eat. Want anything, Brian?"

‘No, but if you see Jose, tell him I'm busy and not to come get me for therapy for at least an hour and a half."

"You can't dictate his schedule, Brian," Justin admonished.


"Watch me. Now go eat. I have to make millions of dollars to pay for my stay at Chez Allegany General," Brian smirked as he waved Justin toward the door.

___________________________________
Justin went to the cafeteria, ordered and ate his usual lunch, then walked to the gas station to buy more cigarettes. The wind wasn't as cold today, to so he stayed in the courtyard and smoked a cigarette after he returned to the hospital. He wanted to give Brian time to work with Cynthia, and decided to pick up a magazine in the gift shop. He looked at his choices, and quickly remembered why he didn't read magazines very often. Unless I'm interested in the latest scandal of Lindsay Lohan, whoever the fuck she is, or I want depressing news on Iraq , the choices are pretty dismal. I keep up with the news in other ways; there should be an art magazine or at least something I can read. He looked for another ten minutes and couldn't find a single thing he was interested in purchasing. I guess I'll have to go to Barnes and Noble before I leave. At least they have a decent selection of magazines. I'll need something to read on the plane and in the airport. Fucking 9/11 and the airline restrictions that require me to be there two hours before my fligh!. I swear, if I had a car, I might just drive since it takes me almost as long to wait in the airport and to fly, and then take a taxi to my place. "If onlys" are for dreamers, and I don't have a car and even if I did, where the hell would I keep it? New York is not a car city, even if the traffic is horrendous. My entire time in New York, I've only met one person with a car. He glanced around the shop and saw a clock. He realized he'd been gone almost three hours. Shit, I better get back.

Justin returned to Brian's room, and heard Debbie's unmistakable voice.

"Brian! Good to see you're awake, asshole," Deb began. "I was fucking terrified you'd never wake up." She walked over to the bed and sat in the chair. "What the fuck were you thinking?"

Before she could say anymore, Justin stormed in the room. "Debbie! Brian is supposed to be resting." Justin began, but Debbie interrupted him.

"Sunshine!" Debbie stood up and gave Justin a hug. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be in New York- what with the big show you have coming up...."

"I'm leaving in a few days."

"Oh. So I was saying, Brian... Michael's been keeping me up to date and I've been working a lot at the diner, so I'm sorry I haven't been here for a few days."

Brian nodded.

"You seem to be coming along well, and your color is good. Now Brian, why don't you tell me what the fuck you were thinking? Overdosing? Come on kid, you know better than that." Debbie leaned in and put herself close to Brian's face.

"Debbie," Justin admonished. "Brian doesn't owe you an explanation. Thanks for coming, but he needs his rest. The therapist will be here shortly, and he's had a long day." Justin walked over to Debbie and put his hand on her arm, encouraging her to get up.

"I'm not going anywhere, Justin, until this asshole answers my question. What the fuck were you doing, Brian?"

"Debbie...You need to leave. This is not the time to have this discussion! Brian is recuperating," Justin tried again to get Debbie to leave.

"I can't believe you're kicking me out." Debbie looked at Justin. "I won't forget this," she said as she pulled her coat off the chair and quickly put it on, turning to leave in a huff.
Justin watched Debbie leave, sighing loudly once she left the room.

"You make a good gatekeeper," Brian said.

"I really don't like kicking Debbie out, but she has no right..."

"Justin, Debbie's my mom, at least the only mother that really cared for me. She hovers and sticks her nose into everybody's business, including mine."

"But, I thought..." Justin stammered and turned away from Brian.

‘Turn around and come here, Justin," Brian instructed.

Justin did as Brian asked and sat on the bed. Brian put his arms around Justin's neck and pulled him close. "I asked you to keep the vultures away, and you are doing exactly what I asked. No apologies, no regrets. Hanging around me will probably get you a nasty reputation, Justin. The family doesn't always like what I do, and if you're with me..."

"I'm a big boy, Brian. I can take care of myself." Justin leaned his forehead against Brian's.

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation and Jose walked in. "Sorry i'm so late, but we still need to have you walk again, Brian. Are you ready to go for your second whirlwind tour today?"

"Sure." Brian turned toward Justin. "You coming?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Brian pushed his legs over the side of the bed, and allowed Jose to help him up. He stood with little effort, and started walking toward the door.

"You're getting stronger, but take it easy. Your body is still weak."

Brian slowed down as he walked out in to the hallway. Justin watched from behind, marveling at Brian's progress in the last few days. At least he knows I'm here, and he doesn't have to fight like I did. I worked so hard so I could go talk to him. That bastard. I can't believe he was here and I never knew! I have some choice words for my mother, too. She knew, and never told me.

Brian walked the hallway twice, and then returned to his room. Jose turned toward Justin. "Want to take over again?" he asked as he picked up Brian's leg to massage it.

"Love to," Justin answered as he picked up Brian's legs and began to perform his range of motion exercises.

Jose watched for a few minutes and gave Justin a thumbs up. "See you tomorrow. You're doing so well, I think we will try a cane tomorrow."

"A cane," Brian said sarcastically. "I'm old before my time." He brought the back of his hand up to his forehead, and frowned.

"Drama Queen!" Justin laughed at Brian's antics, and leaned down to kiss him. Brian pulled Justin to him by the back of his neck and returned the kiss. Justin soon forgot his massage, and sat on the bed to deepen the kiss. He pulled away and motioned toward the door. Brian nodded his agreement. Justin returned to the bed, and Brian scooted to the edge to make room for him. Brian kissed Justin as he began unbuttoning the blond's jeans. Slipping his hand inside Justin's waistband, he heard the other man gasp at the warmth of his hand. Justin lifted up his butt, and Brian helped him lower his jeans. He didn't take them off, wanting to be able to pull them up in a hurry if needed. Brian continued his kiss, and began to caress Justin's cock. Soon he was pulling on the hard flesh, and Justin arched into Brian's touch, shooting his come over Brian's fingers. Brian drew back from Justin's mouth, and brought his come-covered fingers to his lips, sucking off the juice.

"Did I speak loud enough, Justin?" Brian smiled, tongue in cheek.

"Loud and clear. Thanks." Justin leaned over and licked some of his come off of Brian's fingers.

"None needed."

"Your turn," Justin announced as he began pulling down Brian's lounge pants.

"Not this time, Sunshine. I'm worn out. Maybe after dinner."


Justin frowned. "Can't. I have to go to dinner with Mom." He looked at the clock on the wall. "Shit! I'd better get going, or I'll be late."

"Tell Mother Taylor hello," Brian instructed.

Justin leaned down to touch his forehead to Brian's and said, "Later."

"Later," Brian repeated as he watched Justin gather his messenger bag and walk out of the room.
_____________________________________
Justin took the bus back to Daphne's since he had to meet his mom before Daphne got off work. He showered and dressed in half an hour, and his mom picked him up in front of Daphne's apartment at 6:30.

He opened the car door, and leaned over to kiss his mother. "Hi mom," he said. "Thanks for taking me to dinner. Hospital food gets really old."

"You're welcome. How's Brian?" Jennifer asked as she pulled into traffic. "Is Barney's okay for dinner?"

"Barney's is good. I'd love a real steak. Brian is really improving. He can walk the hall twice without stopping, and he's not nearly as tired as he was. Jose, that's his physical therapist, says he can start to use a cane tomorrow. Isn't that great?" Justin enthused.

"That's wonderful, dear." Jennifer pulled into a parking lot of a black building with a sign reading "Barney's." She grabbed her purse, and got out of the car.

Justin followed his mother into the restaurant, and they were seated immediately. The waiter took their order, then Justin helped himself to a roll.

"Tell me about the show," his mother encouraged. "I'm so excited for you."

Justin took a bite of his roll, slowing chewing the bread as he formulated his response. "Mom, I've had other shows; the difference is that there's only me and another artist in this one. My agent, Sam, said he has high hopes for this one. There's been a lot of buzz about my work. I'll bet after this, I can write my own ticket. You know I've sold all my pieces from every show." Justin beamed his ‘sunshine smile.' He took a drink of water, and looked around the room.

His mother took a drink of her tea, and then put her hand on top of Justin's. "I'm so proud of you."

Their salads arrived soon, and both of them ate a few bites. "What are your plans after the show?"

"I'm coming back here to help Brian, why?" Justin answered.

"He's well on his way to recovery," Jennifer commented.

Remembering what he had learned, Justin placed his fork in his salad bowl and glared at his mother, "Recovery. Funny you should mention recovery. You know, mine would have been much easier if I'd known Brian visited me. Why didn't you tell me that Brian came to the hospital every night?"

Jennifer turned white as the napkin on her lap. "I...I didn't want him there. I blamed, um, blamed him for the bashing."

Justin took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "It wasn't your place. I was eighteen. You had no right." He slammed his hand on the table. "He cared for me and you pushed him away. How could you?"

"I thought it was for the best, Justin. He was too old for you, too grown up. You were so young, and didn't know what you wanted. I was just trying to protect you," Jennifer attempted to explain.

"Don't you know that it would have meant so much to me to know he was there?" Justin explained.

"Yes," Jennifer admitted.

"But, you still didn't tell me."

"No. I hoped that you would forget him."

"I didn't forget him, and he didn't forget me," Justin said quietly.

"No, he didn't. I'm sorry, Justin. I was wrong," Jennifer apologized.

Justin nodded his head and took a deep breath. He looked at the other diners who were trying not to glance at their table. I should know better than that. Causing a scene in a restaurant- how bad can I get?. The bashing was a long time ago, and if Brian hadn't told me, I would've never known. Things worked out, but still... I wish both of them would have told me. "Okay," Justin said as he picked up his salad fork again.

"Can you afford to come back here to help Brian with his recovery? If your show is as successful as you hope, won't you need to be in New York?"

"Not you too! I thought you would be on my side."

"I'm always on your side, Justin. I just want what's best for you. How can you work on your art if you're here with Brian?"

Exasperated, Justin started to push his chair away, but stopped. "Mom... don't you see? With the success of this show, I don't need to be in New York to paint anymore."

Jennifer sat for a few moments before answering. "Justin, please, I just want you to be happy."

Justin ate a few bites of his salad, and buttered another roll. "Thanks. Do you have my ticket? When are you flying down?"

Jennifer put down her fork and grabbed her purse off the floor. She unzipped it, finding the ticket, and gave it to Justin. "I thought I would fly in with you. I want to buy Molly an early birthday present."

"I won't be able to spend any time with you until after the opening," Justin reminded her. "Since I haven't been in town, Sam has a million things he wants to talk to me about."

After placing her purse back on the floor, she picked up her fork and resumed eating. She signaled the waiter for more tea, and drank some of the refreshing liquid after he refilled her glass.

"Brian was planning on coming to the show, but Lindsay's going to use his plane ticket instead," Justin casually remarked. "The food is really good. I forgot how much I like this place. I don't go out often in New York." Justin finished his salad and roll and pushed the plates aside, signaling to the waiter he was ready for their removal.

"I'm surprised he had a ticket. I thought you hadn't talked to Brian since last summer," Jennifer questioned.

"I hadn't. He mentioned having the ticket when Mel and Linds were visiting the other day. I was as surprised as you, but then again, after learning that Brian gave me his Power of Attorney and Medical Proxy, I'm not totally shocked. Brian does things in his own way."

Jennifer pushed her plate away, signaling to the waiter to remove it. "I can see that. Just be careful, Justin."

"I will, Mom. I'm not a little boy anymore. Brian loves me and I love him, and we'll work it out," Justin assured her.

Their dinner arrived, and all talk of Brian and the show was replaced with updates on PFLAG activities, and Molly's upcoming school year. After dinner, Jennifer took Justin back to Daphne's.

"I'll see you Thursday morning. Do you need a ride to the airport?"

Justin leaned over to kiss his mom goodbye. "That would be great. I'm going to spend the morning at the hospital. Can you pick me up there?"

"I'll be there about 11:00," Jennifer said as she leaned over to kiss Justin goodbye.

Justin walked into Daphne's apartment, using the spare key she'd given him. Daphne was sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Hey you. How was dinner?" Daphne asked as she patted the seat next to her on the couch.

Justin yawned and patted his stomach. "Dinner was good, except for the little ‘discussion' with my mom about Brian's visits to the hospital when I was bashed." He sat down on the couch, kicking off his shoes and putting his feet on the coffee table.

Daphne jumped up slightly and turned toward Justin. "Brian was at the hospital? I never saw him!"

"He came at night, when no one was around."

"When did you find this out?"

"Today. He told me. I don't think he really meant to, but once he said it, he admitted to being there."

Daphne smiled. "That asshole! Didn't he know you asked about him everyday? Why didn't he let you know then?"


Justin stood up and paced around the small room as he answered, "Brian doesn't want anyone to know he's vulnerable. Having the gang see him there would have meant having to admit things he wasn't ready to admit, even to himself."

"Still, it's really shitty that he came, and you didn't even know it," Daphne complained. "I can't believe he finally told you."

"I think Brian might be ready for a lot of things. At least, I hope so." Justin smiled at the memory of this afternoon's session where Brian's actions spoke loud and clear. "Maybe this thing is a stepping stone for us. I know I've already sold two paintings, and I'll probably sell the rest too. After this, I can convince Brian that I can paint anywhere. I need to be here for him, and me, since he is my inspiration; it makes sense that I paint better wherever he is" Justin put his hand over his heart, playing the drama queen that he was.

"You still plan on staying?"

"Yes, I still plan on staying. I'm not changing my mind, so don't you try," Justin said tersely.

"Okay, whatever! Want to watch a movie? It's early and we could run by the video store."

"No, I think I'm going to bed. See you in the morning." Justin turned and kissed Daphne on the cheek, and then went to his room