- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Been sick a long while with some writers block. I'm sorry.
“I hate Homecoming,” Ted grumbled.

They were hanging out at one of the four playgrounds at the Dam. This one was furthest away from the dam and closest to the campground, so it was usually less popular in the fall, and it had the oldest play equipment.

“Oh, Teddy, you’re such a stick in the mud,” Emmett said loudly to the dark-haired boy. Emmett was on the slide ready to slide down. He loved it, not so much in summer though because of the burns from the sun hitting the metal that the slide was made of.

This slide was the only one that he had fun with, it was high. If he thought about it, it really wasn’t that safe for kids. Ted was swinging on the swing set, there was only one swing that was usable. Rumor was that Robin Fetterman had sat on the other one and broke it. The poor girl had a very unfortunate name for a girl of her size. Fatterman was a horrible thing to call her. She was a very nice girl, killer smart too. If it weren’t for her, he would have failed Algebra last year.

Brian was sitting on top of the jungle gym, like always, he liked to be high up when he got high. It’s a miracle he hadn’t broken a body part yet. Michael was also on the jungle gym just lower. He liked to hang upside down like a bat.

“I’m not a stick in the mud, none of us like Homecoming.” Ted looked around seeming to try and get backup. Homecoming in two weeks.

“Homecoming is for losers who can’t get laid,” Brian said, throwing rocks that he collected before climbing the jungle gym.

“You just hate the football team, especially Jon Thomas,” Mel pointed out. The glare Brian sent her was unmistakable.

No one usually bullied Brian, the black eyes, and bruises on him got him a reputation. One that said he was dangerous. People thought he was in fights every day when it was just his dad. The injuries had stopped now he left but not the gossip.

“I know Jon Thomas, he’s in my art class. He’s a really good artist, charcoal is his preferred. What did he do? I always thought he was nice.” Justin was biting his lip, looking like someone just kicked his puppy.

“Nothing. It was a long time ago,” Brian said defensively.

It had only been last year. Jon and his goonies thought it would be hilarious to dunk Brian’s head in the toilet. They had thought he wouldn’t do anything, they thought wrong. The boy had waited for the perfect time and slammed the locker on Jon’s hand. No more football for the year.

“I’ve never been to a Homecoming before,” Justin said. He was on the Witch’s Hat; he was barely moving it.

“Granny Faye said I had to go to at least one Homecoming and Prom in my school years. Since it’s our senior year, I think this is my last chance. I don’t have anyone to go with though.” Her eyes lingered on Mel who was on the merry-go-round with her.

Seeming to catch her meaning Mel snorted. “I’d rather sleep with Ted than go. No offence Ted.”

Ted glared. “Why would I take offence to that?”

“What about the parade?” Michael asked.

“No! Just because you have to ride on the float with your mom doesn’t mean the rest of us has to be doomed.”

Emmett rolled his eyes; Brian really was too much. Everyone knew the reason he didn’t want to go was because Homecoming means he would get the best tips. The parade, the game, and the dance, it was money personified.

“I like Homecoming,” the new kid said, Emmett had forgotten he was there.

“Who said you could talk?” Brian said, tossing the roach on the ground.

“Hey, don’t do that, kids play here,” Justin said, hoping off the witch’s hat. He picked up the roach and shoved it in his pocket.

“Sorry, mother,” Brian mocked.

“I’m really glad you guys invited me,” the new kid said. In fact, he was only invited by Justin who really didn’t know Brian didn’t like intruders in their group. While he accepted them at school and even in large group settings Brian was not the nicest or most social. The boy was charming and could probably get away with murder if he wanted, but he just didn’t like many people. The only reason Justin was accepted in the first place was Brian wanted to sleep with him, then Justin somehow got Brian to agree to dating.

"We didn’t invite you, that was all the good Samaritan,” Brian bitched.

“Drop it Brian,” Justin said before turning back to the new kid. “I’m really glad you could come.”

“It’s really cool.”

Justin had taken in a freshman, something that was already pissing off Brian. Emmett thought it was a mistake too, but Justin was only sixteen while the rest of them were seventeen and eighteen. It’s not odd for a sixteen-year-old to hang out with a fourteen-year-old. The reason he thought Brian didn’t like Eric was because the freshman had major cow eyes for Justin. The only one of them that couldn’t see it was Justin. Too bad the boy was never going to turn Justin’s eyes from Brian to him.

“I’m glad you’re having fun,” Justin said getting back on the witch’s hat, joined by Eric.

The face Brian was making was priceless, but he knew better than to point it out. The friendship between Justin and Eric was doomed and going to end in tears but Justin wasn’t ready to hear that. It would just have to play out organically.

A crack of thunder came out of nowhere. Usually if it was supposed to rain his Aunt Lula usually told him if it was going to storm that day.

“Let’s head over to my house, it’s empty,” Michael suggested.

Most agreed except Brian who had to go to work soon and Eric whose mom said he could only go to the park and home. There was a light blush of embarrassment on his cheeks when he admitted it.

“I’m taking Eric back to his house and then I’ll be over,” Justin said.

Grabbing their jackets, the two youngest left. As they walked away Justin’s laugh followed by Eric’s rang out. Whatever had been said must have been really funny because they kept laughing until they were in Justin’s ugly car.

“You better watch out Bri, you got a problem there,” Ted said.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Brian grumbled.

“You’ve got a storm brewing, and I don’t mean weather. That little freshman is out for your before and while he’s all sweet and innocent on the outside, he’s got calculating eyes,” Emmett told him. He had seen it a few times earlier when Eric looked at Brian. There was real dislike that flashed in those eyes. Then he would turn to Justin like butter wouldn’t melt.

“If Justin wants the dweeb, he’s more welcome to him. I’m just with him for the sex.” Brian’s voice was getting darker, a sign they were pushing him too far. But one more push wouldn’t hurt.

“You do know Eric waits for Justin after French 2,” he told him.

“How do you know?” Brian’s eyes narrowed at this new information.

“Duh, we have it together. I will tell you Wyld doesn’t like the kid. He says something feels off about him. The one thing I know about Wyld he has great intuition about people.”

Brian stalked off for his car, not saying another word.

“You shouldn’t have egged him on like that,” Lindsay said, appearing out of nowhere.

“Where have you been?” He had noticed both her and Mel had disappeared at the same time. The bathroom was at the other side of the damn, probably a mile walk.

“Bathroom,” Lindsay said.

That was when Emmett noticed something, and he started to laugh.

“What’s your problem?” Mel asked like he was crazy.

“Next time you decide to have a little fun, make sure you put your shirt isn’t backwards.”

Lindsay looked down at her shirt and a small yip escaped her lips. “How could you let me walk around like this,” she hissed at Mel.

“I didn’t notice,” the smaller girl defender herself.

That was near to impossible because Lindsay had a shirt with Melissa Ethridge on the front, now the queen of lesbians was on her back.

Debbie had already gotten on to him about being rude to customers. It was something he couldn’t help, fucking Emmett and his fucking ideas.

The bell over the door chimed, looking up he saw Justin with what he guessed were his parents and his little sister. Kiki sat them at one of their bigger tables. Justin looked around the restaurant until he laid eyes on him.

Soon he blocked out Justin and his family until he heard his name being called. Looking around he saw it was Justin’s mother calling his name and motioning him over. For some reason he turned to look behind him like there was another Brian there. Rolling his eyes, he made his way over to Justin’s table.

“How can I help you? Extra silverware? Refill? Riffle and blindfold?”

Justin groaned and Brian had to work to not smile.

“Our son did say you had a different kind of sense of humor. We just thought it was time to meet our son’s boyfriend.”

Shooting Justin, a glare, the younger boy just shrugged, but he could tell he wanted to ground to swallow him up.

“I really can’t talk now, I have work.”

Justin’s mother looked around. It was a slow day besides their table there were only two more occupied.

“I’m sure you can spare a minute. Come and sit for a while, we’ll have a little chat,” she said, her tone changing from light to a little darker.

“Uh, sure.” Usually adults loved him, he didn’t know what to think about him. Even the teachers who he annoyed with his attitude liked him to a point. Against his better judgement he pulled out a chair and sat. All the while making sure he could escape easily.

“So, tell us Brian…how old are you?” Mr. Taylor asked.

“Seventeen.”

“What do your parents do?” Mrs. Taylor asked.

“Drink mostly.”

That made both Justin’s parents shift uncomfortably. He was kind of hoping the girl would get tired and start complaining, but know she was sitting quietly watching them talk. She had her brother’s eyes.

“I’m sorry to hear that. It must be hard when you’re trying to graduate,” Mrs. Taylor said, being the first of the two to recover.

“It’s fine, I live by myself. Rent a room above a garage.” He gave them a challenging look. This was about as many hoops he’ll just through for Justin. If they didn’t like him and wanted him to stop seeing their son than that’s on them. “Look, I really have to get back to work.” After he stood up a dishcloth was thrown at him. There was no need to look, he knew who it was.

“If you’re done maybe try working,” Deb snapped. It wasn’t her angry voice or even her annoyed one, this was her everyday one.

As he started to walk away Mrs. Taylor called to him.

“Next time, use the front door.”

Justin’s face reddened and on his pale skin it was very noticeable. It was hard not to laugh as Justin slid down in his chair.

“I will.”