- Text Size +
It had been a month since school started and Justin had found new friends to hang out with. He stopped eating lunch at the “queer” table after he was abandoned in Nashville. Now he was sitting with the creative kids. This table was where the theatre kids, the arts, the musicians sat. At first, he wondered why Ethan didn’t sit there, but it became clear. Ethan and Collier used to “date” which meant Ethan told Collier he was his everything, then the video was shown. Ethan getting a hand job from Blake last year was a dealbreaker. Collier said he and Ethan had been together since sophomore year and they were both seniors now.

The cafeteria was made up of ten long tables with bench seating. The table he was at now was as far away from the other one as possible. He didn’t make it that way, but it was a lucky accident.

“Hey, Justin, you should try out for the play. Auditions are today after school.”

Justin realized he hadn’t been paying attention to what was being said around him. “Um…I’m not really that kind of creative,” he said with a smile.

The girl who asked him blushed. He had forgotten her name, it was something like Emma, she didn’t always eat with them.

“It’s just Twelve Angry Men. But there’s not just going to be men. Ms. Lula says that’s not how the world works anymore.”

“That’s funny because that’s Emmett’s aunt’s name.”

“Oh, you didn’t know. She’s the theatre teacher. Mr. Davis, the vice principal hates her. So of course, everyone loves her.”

“Well, like I said, I’m not that kind of creative and acting just never interested me.” She nodded and went about pestering someone else to audition.

His mind went to his weird conversation with David. David apparently like Michael and wanted Justin to set up a date for them. How in the world was he supposed to do that? David fell for Michael during the summer. Michael was trying to earn extra money and cleaned out the Camerons garage. Michael worked at the Piggly Wiggly but during summer he could make more.

Because he wasn’t hanging out with Michael and that group anymore, he hadn’t been able to corner the older boy. David said that he liked how normal Michael was. Justin didn’t know much about Michael, but he did know his nose was always in a comic book when he could. But who was he to stand in the way of true love?

Just before lunch was over, he headed to their table. Whatever was being said and laughed about stopped when he stopped.

“Can we help you?” Brian said, with a little sneer. Justin knew he pissed everyone off when he just stopped talking to them. He knew he overreacted but after it was done, it just felt like too late.

“I wanted to speak to Michael, is that alright with you?” Justin snapped.

Brian rolled his eyes and went about ignoring Justin’s existence, which was what he had done after they slept together. In fact, he didn’t know why Brian was mad because he hadn’t even tried to speak to him until now.

“Yeah?” Michael said, looking up at him from his homemade lunch. Justin bought his, his mother was a great mom but at twelve said if he wanted his lunch packed, he would have to do it himself. It was easier to buy it.

“Are you dating anyone?”

The whole table got quiet and the one next to it. Justin noticed out of his peripheral vision that Brian froze. Michael shifted, looking uncomfortable.

“It’s not that I’m not flattered. But you’re just not my type,” Michael told him, looking at him with those baby deer eyes.

Justin couldn’t stop himself, he laughed. Probably a bit too much because now Michael was looking offended. “Sorry, you’re not my type either. I just have a friend that likes you.” Friend his ass, David was a jerk. But he had made a promise so he would try. He just hoped Michael said no, it would be weird.

“A friend. Who?” Michael asked, he eyed Justin’s table across the cafeteria.

“None of them. He’s in college.” Justin thought saying med school would be too much of a giveaway in this small town.

“Really?” Now Michael looked interested. Brian snorted.

“Yes.”

“Well tell me, who is it?”

“He didn’t want me to tell you. He wants you to go out on a date with him, sight unseen.”

“A blind date? What is this 1988?” Brian said with derision in his voice.

Michael didn’t look too enthused now. “I don’t know. Meeting a stranger on a date between two men. That seems like I’m asking to be attacked.”

“I promise you; this isn’t a set up like that. He really does like you. Why don’t you have another couple go with you. A double date.”

Brian snorted again, causing Justin to lose his cool. “Why don’t me and Brian join you.”

That stopped Brian’s smug face.

“Hell, no.” He cocked his head to the side. “Anyway, I have to work that night.”

“You don’t know what night,” Justin countered.

“I work every night,” Brian gritted out.

“You don’t work this Saturday night,” Michael said. “Ma’s got to close early because she and Uncle Vic are going to Marleen Gentry’s viewing.”

Brian glared at Michael. “I forgot that old battleax kicked the bucket. Mr. Gentry must be doing cartwheels, I mean, if he could get out of the wheelchair. Fine, Saturday night. Where will this charming evening take place?”

“I don’t know, but I’ll let you know tomorrow. Don’t worry, I’ll buy your dinner,” Justin said, feeling bad that this one dinner would cost Brian more than he could afford.

That was when he saw it. A look in Brian’s eyes told him whatever he was about to say he should just allow it and shut up.

“No one pays for me. I take care of myself. I’ll pay for your food too. In fact, I’ll pay for all four of us.” He wanted to argue but he knew it would be a losing battle. Brian had that chin jutted out ready for it.

Just then the bell rang, ending their lunch. Justin was glad for it because all that face Brian was making had him wanting to do was drop to his knees in front of him. He was asking for trouble with this date, he knew it.



“Would you calm down; you look like you’re going to piss yourself.”

Michael glared at Brian. If he couldn’t help, why was he there? Oh, yeah, he was coming on the date to make sure he didn’t get murdered. His mom would not be happy if he got murdered trying to hook up.

Brian looked gorgeous as always. He wore clothes that he could afford, which wasn’t a lot. But somehow, he made them look like they belonged in a magazine. He would talk about when he was rich, he would get whatever he wanted. The newest everything. Michael’s mom got his clothes from the thrift store over on Main.

“I want to look good.”

“I already told you that you look great,” Brian said, throwing a baseball up in the air and catching it while lying down on the bed. Michael still didn’t know why his mom bought it for him.

“Who do you think the mystery date is?” he asked, checking his ass out in the jeans he just put on.

“Let’s see, they know you, they went to our school and is in college now. I know. Amanda Owens.”

He pushed Brian who dramatically rolled off of the bed and onto his feet. “Be serious.”

“I have no idea who it is. I can’t believe the little asshole has me going on this travesty.”

“Hey. I could be meeting Mr. Right tonight.”

Dropping the ball on the ground, Brian walked over to him. Standing in front of him and grabbed his shoulders. “Listen to me. Are you listening?” Michael nodded. “The only people who stay with the person they were with at seventeen, are miserable bastards. And the only reason was because they didn’t know how a fucking condom worked and got some girl pregnant. That’s not ever going to be us. Our lives are going to be amazing. We won’t be tied down to the same dick year after year.”

Michael nodded because really…who did have a happily ever after with their high school partner?
Chapter End Notes:
The next chapter will be the date. I hope everyone is still liking the story. Thank you for reading.