- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - SECRETS DISCOVERED AND SHARED 


MEL AND LINDSAY’S KITCHEN - A WEEK LATER


MICHAEL


I’m still reeling from what has happened these last few days. Brandon, the fucker, refuses to be reasonable! He is adamant that if I want the store, which I poured my heart and soul into, l pay the market price! He couldn’t resist humiliating me further by leaving all my stuff on the sidewalk, only giving me three hours to collect it or he would have a yard sale!


“Oh, for fuck! Michael!” Mel yells as she stomps down the stairs. I brace myself for her daily whine. What she fails to understand is that it gives me comfort. “That lump of lucite needs to be moved!”


“My statue doesn’t fit in my room. You won’t let me keep it down here, that's the only place it can go.”


“Morning all.” Lindsay comes in, surprisingly dressed for going out. “Mel, you’ve got a ladder.”


“I know.” She grits out. “What I’m not getting in rent, you’re costing me in stockings!”


“Why are you wearing stockings?” Lindsay frowns. “You normally wear pantyhose.”


“Can we not talk about those?!” I exclaim.


“For once I agree with you!” Mel blushes. “And it will fit in your room if you take some of the comics out that you've already read!”


“I told you, I need them for research!” I fume. For an attorney, she doesn’t listen very well.


“You don’t seem to be using them for research. You spend 90% of time down here watching cartoons without them. Before you say, again, you need both, why not watch TV in your room since they seem to be too onerous to bring down?”


“I feel so cramped and hemmed in.” I sigh. “Why don't you and I just share your office? Surely, there’s room for the pair of us?”


“Absolutely fucking not!” She explodes.


“Why does that generate such an over the top rebuttal, counsellor?” Lindsay glares.


“Why?! That is an extension of my work office. You don't get in there either, remember? Besides, why can’t you two artists share? Your studio would be much more suited to his artistic aspirations. I’m going to work, that lump needs to be off the landing by the time I get back or I shall follow Brandon’s lead!”


Whilst I’m left stunned, Lindsay hurries after her. As I start to pull myself out of my shock and make coffee, a thought occurs. 


“I’m so sorry about that, Michael.” Lindsay declares. “I can’t think what on earth has gotten into her! Why are you outside her office?”


“Am wondering two things. Why does she have client files in there? Surely they should be in her office. Also why didn't she answer your question about her clothing choice?”


She ponders this for a bit. “You know, I’ve never thought of it like that. Let me check with Loretta.” She chuckles at my shocked expression. “About the files, not her sudden need to wear stockings!” Five minutes later, we're back in the kitchen having coffee. “Well, if Loretta does it then I’m sure it’s fine for Mel. What are you going to do about the statue and your comics?”


“Can you speak to her again? I really need to have them here, I have a very good reason!”


“I can, but not without you telling me what the very good reason is.” She leans against the counter. 


“They’re my favourites, my first purchases. As a fellow artist you get that, don't you?” She nods whilst draining her coffee. “Oh, meant to say, I’m in touch with some of my contacts. I still don’t believe those three morons are doing Rage, so I am going to prove it.”


“Good thinking. And once we have the proof, Brian will see what a sharp and shoddy character he’s always been. He’s still in his fuck-fetters. He must have gotten a lot of practice whilst he was away.”


“What are fetters?”


“Fetters is a feeling, not a thing, it means to be held in their power.”


“I see. Well, as much as it pains me to say it, he does seem to be quite a good fuck machine, nowhere near Brian, who’s the ultimate of course.”


LINDSAY


“He’s topped Brian?!” I gasp, feeling a stab of envy. I would love to use my strap on him, having him at my mercy. Just babbling, begging for release.


“Fuck no! I mean when they’ve been in the backroom together, his tricks seem to have a good time.” 


“I see. Well, on that relieved note, I shall see you later, around six in Woody’s.”


“Why are you going and why am I meeting you in Woody’s?” I ask, heading to the lounge. 


“To work. It’s our busy season coming up. As for Woody’s. Mel is taking Leda there again, and I’m not happy with her wearing stockings!”


“Ah, I see. Sure, see you then!” I kiss her cheek and settle down to watch my cartoons.


MEL’S HOME OFFICE - FOUR HOURS LATER


MEL


At first I didn’t know what the alert on my phone was about. It was only when I got home and saw that the keys were on the wrong hooks that I realised that Mr Nosey Dickhead Fucking Parker tried to get into my office! 


As I pour myself a glass of water, I remember why I got the motion sensor put in. It was during the one and only time that Loretta and I shared this space after Lindsay and I had just moved in. Whilst we were working on a case together, I was also working on a higher profile one. Oh, how her ass burned when I got picked over her! She played it off as me being the lesser evil of bull dykes. She ended up burned of ass and red faced when Leda, who we met for the first time, chipped in that she heard they only wanted me. 


She and Lindsay became besties in seconds. Those were the days when she was my champion and sentinel, but as the years went by, I noticed that she championed less and chapped at my ass more. Especially comparing me to Dusty, who was giving Leda the world, and her wife whilst she was stuck in the doldrums, existing on dust and dander. Hearing those words was bad enough, but for them to be said to Loretta and Dusty was humiliating. 


However, those barbs led to the beginning of the great dyke-stud-thaw. Heartbroken, I went for a drive and found a small park, so beautiful, peaceful with a duck pond, which looked empty. Plonking on the bench, I let the tears flow, then I hear the one person I never want to see me cry.


Start of flashback

SIX YEARS PRIOR


MEL


“You can leave now!” Leaping up in mortification, I trip over my purse, landing on my knees with the contents spilling everywhere. Amongst them, naturally, is a tampon. “I’d say that this might be the cause of the tears, but somehow I doubt it. Sit on the bench.”


“You just told me to leave!” I snivel.


“I was talking to the gawking park keeper. Come on, get up.” Sighing in defeat, I take the hand of Brian Kinney. “Wanna risk cooties and take my kerchief?” After I wipe my eyes, he doesn’t take it back. “What’s she done?” I stare at him. “I’m no fool, and she’s no angel. What’s she done?” 


I’m in tears again whilst telling him what she said and how frustrated I’ve been with her growing closeness to Dusty, then ask a question I never thought I would. “What would you do?”


“Staked my claim on Lindsay from the outset. When you didn’t, Musty Lust took that as a challenge, which she’s winning. You want her, fight for her.” 


“Musty Lust?” I snicker before lapsing into a guilty silence.


“Do you want to fight for her?” 


“She’s right in a way, I can’t give her the life that she wants right now.” 


“It’s not about life, it's about love. Why isn’t Lindsay giving you the love and support you need? She knows how hard you work. For fuck sake, you got her this cottage, how the hell does she think you did that? Sometimes I want to shake her, her selfishness is one of the traits I dislike.” I’m stunned. “No fool and no angel. I just save the tonguelashing for when we're alone. Not gonna do that anymore.” He gets up, dusting off his jeans. “There’s a coffee shop over there, really good hot chocolate.”


“Um, thanks, what are you doing here anyway? Hardly seems the place for the Stud of Liberty Avenue.”


“Needed to clear my head.” He checks the time. “He’s going to be locking up soon, did you drive or you going for the hot chocolate?”


“I drove, but will be back, it’s a nice place.” I say nothing about him carrying my case. 


“Good night, Mr Kinney.” A young man calls out. 


“See you, Mattie.” He replies. 


“So you gave him a job after? There I was thinking the head that needed clearing was attached to your neck.”


“And there I was thinking we were bonding.” He stares for a few seconds. “Welcome to Hazure Park, it’s mine. A little haven. I love the space, it’s quiet apart from the ducks.”


“You keep to your side of our haven and I’ll keep to mine, okay?” I declare. He pauses, then hands me a key. “What’s this?”


“For the gate. I’ll get another cut.”  


Before I can say I was joking, he sprints off, leaving me flabbergasted, but grateful.

End of flashback


“Definitely need to go feed the ducks!” I declare, trotting upstairs, at the landing I do a double take. “Are you joking?!”


Turning to his room, I see the door is ajar. “Michael!” I yell and enter. “You will not spotlight that fucking statue!” 


He’s lucky he’s not in, as I see how he treats my home! There are three cups, a bowl and half empty box of cereal. 


“What a shithead! When the hell did he take it? I wasted 90 minutes replacing that!” 


Even though the aroma is seeping into my pores, I don’t open the window. However, curiosity is getting the better of me. Making my way to the comics, I flick one open - instant regret! They’re porn, well read judging by the dog-ears. If only Lindsay knew what she was really arguing the case for!


I glance at the TV. It’s off, so where’s the moaning coming from? Making my way towards it, I see it’s his laptop. My immediate thought of disgust is not because it’s gay porn, but because it’s bad gay porn! It looks like it’s from the 80s!  


I back out, making sure I left things as I found them, and head to my office. Time to follow through.


JOHN AND PETER’S HOSPITAL SUITE - AN HOUR LATER


JOHN.  


I look at Peter, he’s as shocked as I am. “You got married?” 


“Yeah. Are you guys okay with that?” Uncle Justin asks, fiddling with his cuffs.


“You’re not wearing a ring.” Peter states, trying to look serious, but I know my bro. He’s as delighted as me! 


“They’re here.” Uncle Brian pulls out his chain. He places it in Peter’s lap, whilst Uncle Justin gives me his. “We don’t want to wear them for now.”


“Uncle Justin asked you, didn't he?” I grin. They grin back. “How’d Michael and Lindsay take it?”


“We’re not telling them until we're ready.” Uncle Brian replies, placing the chain back around Uncle Justin’s neck. “This is really too long, you look like a medallion man.”


“As I said, Mr Taylor-Kinney, I will put it on the other chain when I get it.” 


“Why can’t I just buy you another one?” He grumbles, pulling him closer. “I got you the one you’re looking for, remember?”


“I do remember and that’s why. It was the first thing you bought me. And I’m not looking for it, it’s at Emmett’s in his safe. I was going to get it when everything happened.”


“I see. Well, we’ll get it on the way home.” They turn to us. “You’re the only people that know, so can you keep quiet about it?”


“We can.” Peter nods, then points. “Not so sure about Uncle Emmett.” 


EMMETT


“Auntie Ems, remember?!” I quickly shut the door. “I’m so happy, and I’ll be quiet about you, if you’re quiet about me!” I babble.


“What have you done, Emsy, or should that be who?” Justin asks, looking thrilled. “And why didn't you tell me you felt that way?”


“Felt what way?” Brian asks, then looks between us. “Well I’ll be frigged, when did that happen and how?”


“Before I tell you, do I have your words?”


“Yes, yes, now sit down and tell us!” Peter declares. Chuckling, we get comfy. “Now, just to be clear, you’ve got with Uncle Ben, not some random from those laughable dates?” I go beet red. “I wasn’t always asleep. So, how did it finally happen?”

 

“Well, it was a few days back. He and Brandon came over. I was supposed to go over the night they kicked Michael out.”


Start of flashback

EMMETT’S LOUNGE - EVENING


“Oh, I am so glad you’re over and out of that, Benjamin! You deserve someone non-judgy, unselfish, compassionate, loving, loyal, understanding and respectful!”


“And called Emmett?”


“And called me?” I blink a couple of times, Brandon is incredulous. “Sorry, what’s happening?”


“You and me.”


“Damn!” Brandon breathes.


“You and, and me?” I stammer, he nods. “My heart’s flammering so I’m dreaming, I must be!”


“Flammering?” He frowns. “Is this a good thing?”


“Fluttering and hammering in hope, so flammering, yes good. Are you serious?”


“Serious enough to seek advice from Carl about it. Look, I know this has come as a shock and stuff, so I’m going to leave you to think about it. I mean if you can take all of this, with my HIV and everything. You’re gonna get blasted by Michael and Lindsay for remaining my friend, let alone the things that I’d like us to do. Can we meet on Wednesday? I’ve got to go with Carl to Black Cat Market during the day, but in the evening, maybe, if you want to, or you can just say no now and I’ll move states.”


Brandon and I exchange amused looks, whilst Ben shuffles flame faced. “Mind if I step in a second?”


“Not at all.”


“Ow!” Ben yelps when Brandon slaps the back of his head. 


“Ben, he’s gotten closer with each word, has been looking adoringly at you throughout that stream of bullshit consciousness, and doesn’t give a flying fuck about Michael or Lindsay!”


“Could you turn around, please, Ben?” He frowns but does so. He gasps as I kiss where Brandon slapped him. When he turns back, his eyes are sparkling and rivals Justin for the brightness of his smile. “I shall be accompanying you on Wednesday to the Black Cat Market, I suspect.” 


“Why?”


“Because I’m also going with Carl, but he’s been dropping heavy hints that something might come up and would I mind going by myself. Oh, that man, I shall hug him to death!” I take his hand and kiss it. “He's been coming on my dates to sound a guy out and turned me off every single one.”


“Oh.”


“In fact, he said that he had the perfect guy for me, but it might take a minute or so.”


“This is the minute. Kiss so I can go to bed, lonely but happy!” Brandon orders, so we do!

End of flashback


PETER


They all look so happy, I breathe deep. “Do you think she knew and that’s why she hit me more?” John puts his arm around me. “You know, right?”


“Yeah, bro, I know.” He kisses my cheek. “And she didn’t, she was just jealous of your talent, and furious over your refusal to share it with her.”


“She took it away anyway.” I sniff, looking at my still bandaged hands.


“Don’t give her that hold over you! You will heal and you will begin again.” He states. “We’ll all help you get back to where you were, fuck that, to be even better!” 


BRIAN


Justin and I are on either side of Peter, holding him as he sobs, Emmett comforts John. We're all struggling, but Peter doesn’t need our tears now. 


After twenty minutes, he slows to quietly sniffling. Justin clears his throat. “Boys, Uncle Brian and I need to talk about something, nothing to do with you. I just, no, sorry. I’m wrong. You are going to be part of our lives, so this affects you too.” My heart pounds. Even though we’ve not talked about it since he tossed them in the fire, I hope this is what he’s going to say. “Lindsay wants Brian to be the father for her and Mel. But as well as you boys, we want our own baby, but not with Lindsay carrying for us, so she can get her baby from someone else. However, what do you think about Mel being the Mom?”


“Oh yeah, she’ll be awesome!” Peter exclaims. “And after what those four put us through, we want to be there when you tell her.”


“Which four, I thought it was just Michael and Lindsay who took you back?” Emmett asks, as he pours water.


“There were two other women. One bragged she was an attorney who had contacts.” John sneers. “She was the reason we went with them, she said she’d take us to jail if we didn’t.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks