- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - NINA AND BRANDON TO THE RESCUE 


JUSTIN


Before we can react to that news, Dijon pokes his head through. “Ah, you’re here, excellent! I’ve got great news!”


Brian blinks a couple of times, then smiles. “Can we bring them home?”


“At the weekend.” He grins. “I will come over on Tuesday, if that works for you all?”


“It will work.” Brian asserts, his grin starting to slip. “This is another important person in our boys' lives, Emmett Honeycutt, or Auntie Ems.”


“Very Wizard of Oz.” Dijon drawls, hand outstretched, but Emmett’s still shook. “You okay there?” 


“Are you serious about that?” Emmett whispers.


“Uh, look I’m sorry if I’ve offended you. It was just a joke.”


“Emmett!” Brian nudges him.


“Hi-hi!” He exclaims, pasting a grin on and pumping Dijon’s hand. Judging by the wincing, way too much. “Well, lots to talk about, you know, boy things, um we’ll see you later!”


“I need all of me to leave.” He replies, prying his hand free. He glances around the room once more before leaving.


“So now what?” Emmett sniffs, pushing the beds together. “Let me in the middle so I can hug you both.” 


I pull Brian’s face towards me, I see what he’s thinking. “You can’t. Promise me you won’t.”


He takes several deep breaths. “I promise, but they will pay. Funny how they didn’t mention that.”


“Hilarious. Now boys…” I turn to them. “...this is another thing you need to keep quiet whilst we figure out what to do, okay?”


“Oh for crying out loud!” Emmett exclaims. “Will you stop that?!” 


“Stop what?!” Brian growls.


“Not you, her! Come on out, I can smell you!” 


“You make me sound like a fart!” Aunt Lula scowls as she steps from the shadows. “So these are them, huh? Well aren’t you gorgeous; may I sit?” We're too flabbergasted to do anything but nod. “My name is Lula, you can call me Granny Lula, and whatever you say to me, stays with me, unless it's to do with your health and Dijon needs to know. So what am I keeping quiet about?” After the boys finish she's silent for a few seconds. “You need to tell Dijon and I will tell Debs. Hear me out. Dijon is for you two, especially Brian - for your therapy, your anger. It will come out and whatever that promise is about, talking to Dijon will help you keep it. As for Debs, as your Moms, yes both of you, she needs to know and will understand why you asked me to say.” She leaves the room for a few minutes, coming back in with a basket and Dijon. “I’ll serve.”


AN HOUR LATER


JOHN


“It’s my first one.” I stroke my stomach. “So delicious.”


“Many more of those babies to come.” Granny Lula hands  me some tea. “To help that settle down, for the speed you ate that it might start kicking.” I take it giggling. Peter is savouring his food. “So anything you never want to eat again?”


“Liver and kidney.” We state together. “Weren’t allowed to leave a scrap of it. White bread, you know that pappy kind. This was so good.” I look longingly at the slices on Peter’s plate, she moves them to the other side with a smirk. “Where’d you get the butter from? So you can tell Uncle Brian, oh wait, is it very expensive? Oh thank you!” I beam at Uncle Justin as he gives me one of his. 


“Homemade.” She smiles, forking more chicken for Peter. “We need to find room for herb, vegetable and fruit patches. Got the magic touch when it comes to growing vittles.” She watches him eat. “You like to cook, don’t you?” He nods. “Good, you can be my helper. You can tend the patches with me, John.” 


We turn to the door. Uncle Brian and Dijon return, both looking a lot calmer than earlier. “Is there anything left?” Dijon asks. “Your stomach settled enough to eat now, Brian?” He nods, sitting next to Uncle Justin, who hands him his plate, whispering something that makes him blush. “You might as well have shouted that from the rooftops, Justin.” Dijon sniggers as he helps himself. “So, I shall be there on the weekend instead because your Uncle Brian wants to ask you a question, go on.”


“Is there anything you want from there?” 


Peter nods. We’d talked about it when we were alone, both scared that he would say no. “It’s his graphites and charcoals. I know you can get new stuff for us.”


“But I saved for it.” Peter continues. “They were the first things that I ever bought. You understand, don’t you? Please say you’ll try and find them?”


“Of course we will.” Uncle Brian holds him as tightly-gently as he can. “What about you, John?” I blush and mutter. “What is it, don’t be embarrassed about yourself ever, promise?”


“Promise. And it's my teddy bear. Find him and you’ll find Peter’s pencils, they’re in a space behind the cupboard wall.” Peter stares at me. “We always knew when it was coming, always. I’d hide them. But when we got to the room, it was ransacked, so they may have found them.”


“Come on.” Uncle Justin stands. “Let’s go now.” 


THE DINER - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


“So where is your boyfriend?” I tease Vic, who turns his nose up. “You’ve met my girlfriend.”


“She’s my sister!” He laughs whilst stroking Cat, who has officially moved in.


“Not the point. When?” I demand.


“Tell you later.” He growls, sliding out of the booth and leaving Cat bereft. 


“Hi, Carl.” Michael smiles as he sits. “Who’s this?” His attempt to make friends is firmly ignored, he tries again. Cat hisses, flashing a sheathed paw. “Should that animal be in here?” He clasps his hands to his chest. “You should have him declawed. He almost took my eye out.”


I scowl at his dramatics and that cruel suggestion. “Who are you meeting?”


“Meeting here? Nobody, just pre-gaming before Woody’s. What's special?”


“Kitchen’s closed.” I retort, inwardly smiling as Cat stretching out on the table has him shrinking back slightly. “The boys aren’t out yet.”


“What boys?” He frowns then scowls. “You mean Brian and the supposed Rage Writer?” 


“No, you dolt!” Vic shouts. “He means John and Peter. How could you have forgotten the hurt you caused, or does your memory only work when you’re trying to soft soap your best friend?!” 


He turns to Vic. “Brian’s not the only person with problems, you know!” He slams his fist on the table, making Cat growl. He scoots out of the booth. “You and I need to talk about that punch. I have a bruise.”


“I’m sorry.” Vic states, much to his surprise. “I was trying to break your ribs!” 


“How can you even say that, knowing what Brian went through?” He gasps, then yelps when Cat swipes his wrist. “I’m calling animal control!” He cries, staggering into the counter. “He’s most probably got rabies!”


“There’s not been a case of rabies from cats in over 40 years.” Vic retorts. “He’s had all his shots and gave you fair warning that you were upsetting him. And shouldn't you be worried about your dealings with the authorities?”


“What authorities?” He snipes, inspecting this wrist, I can see two marks. As he dabs he gurns and grimaces.


“Child services.” Vic leans against the booth, he stops dabbing. “Obviously they had to be called. I’m sure they’ll be in touch soon enough.” 


“And we’ll be waiting for them. We did nothing wrong.” Before he can espouse further, Ben walks through to the kitchen without a word. Michael snarkily watches him, then turns to Vic. “Give him a message, well more of a warning. I shall see him in court, I’m suing him for my share of the house! Loretta is confident I will win as his common-law husband.” Of course he says this loudly, in the hopes that Ben will come out, scowling when he doesn’t. 


“I’d like to see her argue that.” Mel titters as she joins us. “Hey, Cat, how are you, sweetheart?” He purrs loudly at her tickling. “I don’t suppose I can grab some of the lamb ribs from the fridge, if you have any? Leda’s keen to try them.”


“Yeah, there’s some part-cooked, help yourself, honey.” I smile.


“Oh, they sound great! How long are they going to take to do?” 


Before she can answer, Ben comes out. He greets her and Vic with a kiss. “Thanks, Carl, really appreciate it.” 


“Appreciate what?” I frown.


“The lamb. Just bumped into Debs, she was getting some. Said she’d call you and let you know that I was coming to collect them.”


“Ah, I just said Mel can have them.”


“Give it to me. Like he said, that’s our dinner!” Michael clicks his fingers. 


“Our dinner? You’re not invited.” Mel retorts. “It's okay Ben, Leda and I can order take out.”


“Well since it's just you two, you can join me and Brandon if you like?”


“We like!” Mel beams. “Let me get her to bring the wine. Are you going now?”


“Excuse me, but you’re supposed to be meeting Leda in Woody’s!”


“Plans change.” Mel replies. “Can I take the call there?” She nods at the kitchen, I wave her through. “Ben, I’ll bell you in ten.”


“Excellent. See you Vic, Carl!” He strides towards the door. “Hey, Debs, have a good evening.”


VIC


“Well doesn’t he look chipper?” Debs declares, putting down the shopping. “That place was rammed! Thank goodness Lula had things on order. Now, before I do anything else, I’m gonna face-fuck some coffee. Move Michael.”


“Since when are you friendly with him?”


“Since when do you tell me who to be friends with?” She glares. My fist is itching to give him a fat lip.


“Your loyalty should be to me, not my conniving ex.” He spouts.


“Michael, there’s only one man that can get on my tits, his name is Carl.” Her grin widens at the sickened look he sports, knife twisting time!


“Well said, Sis! Now you’ve already got a fuckton of problems, want to add her to the list?”


“I can’t believe how people are treating me. I’m the victim!”


“Of your own circumstances!” Mel snaps. “However, I’ve removed one problem for you. See you at my home. Bye everyone!” 


“What do you mean?!” He shouts at the closing door before hurrying through, hollering her name. He returns cursing. “Ben was waiting to pick her up!”


MICHAEL


“This is not funny!” I bark, pacing as I wait for Lindsay to answer. “Hey, it’s me. Mel and Leda are having a cosy dinner with Ben and Brandon at my old home now. I know, disgusting isn’t it? Let’s grab a take out and go home!” I scowl at their sneering faces. “Seems that Mel has taken a leaf out of Justin’s book. I feel sorry for Lindsay, after all the years she’s given her. Thanks to Loretta, Dusty and I, she’s going to have all the support she needs.” 


“Go comfort her then, look forward to the announcement of your poly-relationship!” Ma bitches. “Come on, Cat, let’s get you fed.”


“Enjoy that creature while you can. Look what he did!” I hold up my wrist, she adjusts him in her arms, shaking her head. “You weren’t there. Even though they will deny it, he did claw me!”


“I was there, you’ve had those two moles since birth.”


I can still hear them laughing as I go to meet Lindsay at work. She’s locking up as I get there.


“I just spoke to Dusty and told her about that tete-a-tete, she wants to join us for dinner. So we're passing by Woody's to get some wine first.”


“Chocolate Box?” I bat my eyes. “Two bottles?”


“Oh that sounds great. Let me ask her to get them instead. It always tastes better when someone else is paying, doesn’t it?”


“Yep!” I grin.


BRITIN - SUNDAY MORNING


PETER AND JOHN’S ROOM


PETER


I open my eyes and look across at John. Scowling, I shuffle up then swing myself out of bed. It takes two kicks to his ankle for him to turn on his side, my ears rejoice as his foghorn snoring stops. 


“Seriously, we need to get those sinuses checked out.” I grumble, then smile as I find the racket comforting. “This place is incredible, just incredible” 


It was such a whirlwind yesterday, I didn’t take everything in properly. We’ve each got a queen bed, a fully loaded computer table and bookshelves. Mine has my art stuff on top, John’s has his bear. We both cried when Uncle Brian gave them to us. Our walk-in is one side, Auntie Em said he’s in charge of stocking that, and the en suite is the other - to have a long soak was great.


“Morning bro.” John mumbles, wiping his drool and sitting up. “You sleep okay?” I nod. “Let’s check who else is awake.”


Five minutes later, we're in the bathroom. He beams proudly as I brush my teeth. 


“You gonna be okay to shower?” Although nervous, I nod. “Let me go first, just in case.”  


“Fine, I’ll make the beds.”


“Proud of you, bro. So proud.”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER 


BACK GARDEN


BRIAN


I kick the swing chair off again, he squirrels deeper into my side. “Lula is making pancakes I think.” He mumbles. 


“Mmm. I need to get a trainer soon. Yes, I know I’ve got the gym, I need someone to make me use it!” I chuckle. “She’s very persuasive food wise.”


“True, however, they’re all super healthy meals, except at the weekend.” Him playing with my buckle means something big. He sits up. “Vic called. Michael says he is going to take Ben to court for the house because he’s his common-law husband. I’m going to help him fight that, as in I will get him an attorney.”


“Yeah, there’s no way Lindsay won’t give her hell if Mel helps. I can recommend someone else for you.” He kisses me thoroughly. “Save your money and fretting, he won’t get far since the house is Brandon’s, not Ben’s.”


“Oh thank fuck. Though how did you know that?” He smiles, relaxing back into position.


“Had to run a finance check on him.” He matches my sly grin. “Yeah, I lied to Michael by omission, outrageous behaviour.”


“Which shall be rewarded.” Our tongues duel, we stop before that reward needs to be claimed now. “Think the boys are awake?”


“With that smell, only someone suffering from anosmia wouldn't be.” On cue, my stomach grumbles. “Let’s go check on them.”


We smile at the sounds of their voices in the kitchen. As we enter, I have to hold back my whooping. Peter is  cracking the eggs whilst John pours the milk in the bowl. 


“Have some fruits. Breakfast will be outside.” Lula declares as she turns the waffles. “We can plan our patches.” 


“Did you boys sleep well?” Justin asks as we sit and feed each other strawberries. They nod, focused on their tasks. “Great. Dijon will be here at about 11.00.” 


“Where did you go yesterday evening, Uncle Justin?”


“Our other house, it’s behind this one.”


“Why do you have two?” Peter frowns. After we explain, he sighs. “Think of all that money you could’ve saved if you just talked to each other.” 


“Yeah, hindsight and all that.” I titter.


“Uncle Justin, how long did it take you to start drawing again?” 


He hides his surprise. “To be honest, Peter, a long time, but that was because of my stubbornness. Thinking I could do it myself, my way. It set me back almost six months. However, once I followed the advice, I was drawing again within a year and back to my best within another.”


He tearfully puts down the eggs and leaves. We're at a loss as to what to do, when he returns with a pad, which he places between us. “I want to get back to that.” 


Although I want to open it first, it has to be Justin. I must, as Dijon said, let him be the lead in his recovery, as he can empathise more. As we look through, we're in awe. “Wow, just wow, we will do anything to help you.”


“I have carpal tunnel, started a few years back.” Lula announces. “And Nina Simone was my saviour, specifically My Baby Just Cares for Me.” She rolls her eyes and starts to hum the tune, she scowls at our continued perplexity. “The intro, I played that to get my wrists and fingers supple.”


“Of course!” Justin exclaims. “They said it would help, but I refused.”


“Refused what?” I demand.


“To use the piano. Because my father insisted that I had lessons, but then I was bashed and that was my one act of stubborn defiance. Foolish, as ironically I always wanted to learn, but I just wanted it…”


“To be your choice?” John suggests, he nods. “Then how about you and Peter have lessons? Surely there must be someone who can teach you?”


“I know just the person.” I grin, reaching for my phone. “Hey Brandon, need to ask you a favour.”


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.