- Text Size +

CHAPTER 14 - THE VOICE


MEL AND LINDSAY’S KITCHEN 


LINDSAY


“Oh, you’re up, are you?” I sneer at Mel as she enters. “Why did you sleep in your clothes?!”


“Because I didn't have PJs.” She replies, after draining a bottle of water. “What a night. How was yours?” 


“Spent worrying that you were dead in a ditch somewhere!” 


“I crossed your mind? Was it when you were shooting pool in Woody’s, or dancing in Checkers?” She grabs a handful of cereal and another bottle. “Where’d Dusty sleep?”


“Dusty went where you should’ve been - home!” I snap. “Why didn’t you come and join us instead of watching from the sidelines?!”

 

“Wasn’t there. Got told of your exploits.” She crunches loudly. “This actually isn’t bad. Why are you washing the bedding? I only changed them yesterday.” She opens the machine, letting the acrid smell fill the room as she finishes her water. “Bet that killed the mood; I keep telling you to line your stomach before a major rager. Guess we live to love another day. Gonna hop in the shower, then get some work done.”


As I slam the machine door, I snap a nail off. “For fuck sake!” I break another opening the window. Michael’s return with Advil and liver salts saves her ass for now!


“Crawled back unrepentant, has she?” He croaks whilst mixing the salts. A few minutes later, I am feeling much better as my stomach starts to settle. “Did she say where she was?”


“No, just that she, Leda no doubt, didn’t have PJs! Irritatingly, she knows we were in Woody’s and Checkers.” I retort. “And about me being sick. She was so smug about the latter.”


“Pity, pile her with guilt for staying out with Leda, Ben and his thuggy brother would make our hangovers more bearable.” He grouses. “Still don’t see why Dusty didn’t want to grab a takeout. If she did, then you wouldn't have been so ill.”


“She needed to unwind after their behaviour, I guess.” I relax when I hear the bathroom door shut. “Tell me again what Vic said.”


“The authorities are coming to talk to us about what happened. Don’t see why since we weren’t there. They should hire a medium if they want to speak to anyone about that.”


“Please don’t make me laugh.” I wince. “I think I can face coffee now, what about you?”


“I just need cereal.” He grabs a bowl. “Hey, what happened to my Captain Crunch?”


“Mel had some.” 


“She had it all! Why not just throw the box away?” He heads to the stairs. “Mel! You need to buy me some more cereal! And ask before you take my stuff. Mel! Did you hear me?!” 


“She’s in the bathroom.” I grouch. He pouts as he dumps the box; we like to bite back at her when she breaks her own rules. “Tell her again later.”


“I will. Whilst she’s washing away her guilt, let’s try Brian.” He answers quickly but we can’t hear him above the chattering and laughter. “Brian, it’s Michael and Lindsay!” 


“Let me go outside.” He takes a few seconds. “How are your heads?”


“Our heads?” I frown.


“Uncle Vic said you were in Woody’s then Crackers.” 


“Ah, so that’s who was telling tales!” I scowl. “How are you all doing? Sounds like you’ve having fun.”


“We are. Hang on.” More muffled conversations. “So what did you call for?”


MICHAEL


“To check in with our best friend and his nephews.” I close the door. “We’d like to apologise to them in person. Would it be okay?”


“Yeah, I guess. Let me speak to them and let you know when. I’ll call you later, Mikey.”


“Okay, Brian.”


“Bye, Peter.”


“Bye, Wendy.”


We high five each other. “We’re back where we belong!” I grin. “Notice how he wasn’t mentioned? Once our apologies have been accepted, we get rid of that irritant like we did the last time!”


“After Brian gives me the baby he promised!” She smirks. 


“Oh yeah, him seeing you with Brian’s child and me as the godfather should have him fucking off in no time!”


BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S HOUSE


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


“How long have you been able to mimic Brian?” Aunt Lula is incredulous.


“Always, just never had a reason to do it again.” 


“How many times have you done it?” Peter demands. “Did you know he could, Uncle Brian?”


He strokes his chin. “Nope, though I know when he last did.” 


“You sent Michael to Portland?!” Aunt Lula hoots. “Emmett told me all about that!” 


“We need to talk.” He waves me ahead of him. “Nobody panic, we’re fine.”


MASTER BEDROOM - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


His face is buried in the pillow. I stroke his ass and lick my lips as he cums. Once his breathing slows, he pulls up his sweats, his back towards me. “It’s your thing for me, isn’t it?”


“Yes, my hero, it is.” I turn back the sheets. Once he's settled I curl around him. “I wondered who it was. He’d gone on and on about going away, but Portland was strange. When the snowstorm grounded all the flights in and out, I was so happy; especially since he couldn't complain about it. You picked the place with the worst weather?”


“Yea and I’m not sorry. I did feel a bit guilty when Debs was fretting.”


“I would've, and will, edge you if you apologise for anything you do to him that benefits me.”


“Them. And duly noted.”


“As for Debs, she was missing her fix, since they spoke about four times a day then. So what are we gonna do about those Gordian Knots? In order for this to work, I have to be in on it.” He yawns and flings over a leg. “Let me text Brandon, push him back till later.”


“No, I'll jump in the shower then have some coffee.” I hold tighter. “Brian?”


“Let me push him back.” I assert, he kisses my neck; he responds immediately. “See, he’s fine with it. Just half an hour, I promise to wake you.” 


“Hmm.” He sighs. “Gordian Knots are and why rimming?”


“Challenging and daunting problems that need to be resolved decisively and finally. Why rimming? Have you seen your ass?” He flicks my chin. “Two reasons, rimming makes you cum quickly; I like making you cum quick. Second, that was the thing I wanted to do most when we first met.”


“Why didn’t you? With hindsight, I would’ve let you.”


“We wouldn't be here if I did.”


“Hmm. Can you make it forty five?” 


“You came twice.”


“Okay, two hours.” 


BEN AND BRANDON’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BRANDON


I hang up again on Michael. If he thinks that I was a bastard before, after his crank calling of both me and Ben early this morning, he’ll find that it was a cock-tease compared to what’s coming. 


Oh man, I wish I hadn’t thought that! I got so creeped out by his crotch-gazing after Brian and I screwed, that I never used the bathroom when we were alone. Just in case he accidentally walked in!


“What is Brian pushing you back from?” Ben asks from the stove.


“Helping him buy a piano.” He gives a knowing smile. “Which means?”


“It's for Peter and Justin. When he was bashed, he was told to play, but got stubborn and refused. He loves him so much.” 


“Are you still jealous?”


“Not anymore. They were prepared to let the other live their lives. The twerps wanted happiness for each other at the cost of their own.”


“Were you ever happy with Michael?”


“At first. He had a cuteness about him, then he got less cute. But, and I’m ashamed of this, it annoyed Justin that I was with him. I was pissed when he didn’t come to the wedding.”


“You didn't want to marry him?!”


“At the time, yes, but then on our honeymoon, I knew I’d made a mistake; especially when he asked Brian to come.”


“Asshole!” I growl. 


“Even worse, when I asked him who he was talking to, he said Debs.”


“Why the hell did you stay?” I turn him to face me. “Not because of your status?”


“A little. Then it happened.”


“What?”


“I almost cheated.” He closes my jaw. “A fellow teacher, he knew about me, status and all, didn't care. Just saw me as someone he wanted, which was a refreshing change.”


“Why didn’t you?”


“I was heading to his room when he called…”


“Michael is a mood killer at the best of times!”


“Not Michael, Emmett. He was lamenting being stood up; wanting to hear a friendly voice. Instead of getting laid, I spent the evening watching a movie with him on the phone.” He flips the eggs with a smile. “You know, he graduated with honours in math?”


“I did not. How do you?” 


“Because he does our taxes. Although he fixed it so that I always got the rebate.” 


“Smart and handsome.” I tease, but there’s something in his smile. “So, can I be the best man, or will that fall to Justin?”


“We haven’t even kissed yet!” He laughs. “You going to go to the park that Mel told you about?”


“Yeah. See you in an hour or so.”


HAZURE PARK - FORTY MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


“Why the fuck weren’t you looking where you were going?!” I splutter.


“Same to you! Aww look what you’ve done! These were brand new!” 


“As were mine!”


“You’re replacing them!” I steam.


“I’ll stop off in Best Buy on my way home!” He spits.


“What are you two doing in there?” I turn to a smirking Vic. “Who wants a hand first?”


“Me, he can get out by himself!” I wring out my shirt.  “I’ll see you later, Vic. As for you, I hope to never see you again!”


“Likewise!” He snipes. 


“Come back!” Vic shouts. 


I stop stalking but hold my ground. “Why are you helping that?!” 


“Because Brian and Lula don’t like fighting.” He beckons me closer. “Much better. Brandon, this is Dijon, and vice versa.” 


“The therapist?” I ask, my anger starting to wane.


“The bedmate?” He gives me the once over. “You better in bed than jogging?”


“Dijon, he's going to help Peter.” He looks sceptical. “By giving them piano lessons.” His sour look fades. “Plus, he’s Ben’s brother.”


DIJON


“Who’s them?” I frown.


“Justin as well, he’s always wanted to play.” Vic explains. “So how’d you ended up here and in the pond, Brandon?”


“He knocked me in and she gave me her key…oh fuck!” He exclaims. “Let’s hope it's not completely sunk!”


I follow him to the edge. “It was my fault, was running backwards.”


He steps in. “Me too.”


“I’ll bring the car around!” Vic calls. “Taking you to mine then home. You’ve got to meet her, Dijon!”


“Okay!” I return, then look around. “Think we went in there.” He nods. We head over then feel around in silence.


“Who told you about me and Brian?”


“Justin.” I regard his wading, his muscles ripple nicely. “Who do I need to meet?”


“Debs, his sister. Got something!” I join him by the reeds. “My bud! So the key has to be here!” We meticulously pick our way through. After ten minutes, all we find is his other one and my case. “Maybe it floated out.” He sighs.


“Found it. How are you with swans?” I keep my voice low.


“Swans?” He looks where I’m staring, groaning as it makes its way up the bank trying to flick the lanyard off its foot. “They can break an arm!” 


“Only if they're feeling threatened!” I counter, as the swan settles by the base of an oak. “Is your phone dry?” 


“Yeah, why?” 


“Call your friend, obviously.” 


FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


“Hey, we have a problem.” 


“What precinct? Don’t say anything to anyone!” She declares just as I put her on speaker!


“Not that kind of problem!” I fume at Dijon’s smirking. “Am at the park, some moron pushed me into the pond and now your key’s wrapped round the foot of a swan!” 


“I’m not a moron!” He hisses.


“Dijon?”


“Mel?” 


“Yeah, um, so the key?”


“Like I said, round a swan’s foot. Wait a second, how did you get in, this is always closed?” 


“You left the gate unlocked.” His smarming makes me flush. “I don’t suppose you’ve got a spare?” 


“Nope. If it’s got grey feathers and is a bit chubby, he’s harmless. Honks a good game, but very lazy. Just get carrot cake from the cafe, it’s his fave. One feeds, the other fetches; you just have to call him.”


“I’m great with animals.” He boasts. “What’s his name?”


“Mr Fatcock.” She snickers. “Make sure the cake has lots of cream!” 


“Okay, Dr Doolittle.” I titter as I hang up. “Talk to the animal!”


VIC’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


RODNEY


“Mr Fatcock?!” I hoot. “I can’t wait to meet Brian!” 


“Ah, you’re gonna love him.” Debs smiles. “Just going to see what’s taking them so long.” She’s not long. “They’ll be five minutes; arguing the finer points of earbuds and cases!” She grins.


“It is so good to finally meet you two.” I state, pouring tea. “We're definitely going on a double date.”


“Great!” Carl grins, reaching across for her phone. “That was close!”


“Why not let it go to voicemail?” I frown, having watched them do this since they got here.


“Because he’d fill it up.” Vic grimaces. “That’s his thing; sounds so fucking smug when he does!”


“What you need to do is auto forward him.” We turn to Dijon. “He won’t see it, just need an old number, set that up with a voicemail similar to your current one; let him run his mouth there.”


“That’s genius!” Brandon exclaims. “You ain‘t just a pretty face.”


“No I’m not, me and that goose have something in common!” He brags.


“Yeah, I noticed.” Brandon returns.


“Go home to flirt and smoulder!” Carl orders.


They look at each other. “You coming?” Dijon asks.


“Hope to be.” He replies, steering him out the door.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks