- Text Size +

CHAPTER 15 - THE WOMEN WHO PLOT AND KEEP THEIR COUNSEL


DINER - EARLY EVENING


LULA


As I wave the delivery guy off, Cat chirrups and weaves around my ankles. 


“You’re late!” I grumble, having been calling him for the last 30 minutes. Another set of eyes get my attention, slowly the owner appears. “Oh I see, well come on if you’re coming!” I holler, they don’t move. “Would you mind?” I prompt, heading inside. 


A minute later, our visitor is making their way across the counter. I check them out; he’s very fluffy but in need of a bath; who accepts a stroke. “Much too thin, should’ve brought him earlier!” I chide. He chirrups again and he joins him by the bowls. Ten minutes later, they are both dozing in the basket and I’m unpacking the beers I ordered from Ale Asylum. 


“Hey!” Debs smiles as she enters. “Vic’s just…ooh who’s that?”


“Up to Carl to name him.” I hand her a beer. “You need to persuade him on this.”


She takes a couple of swallows. “Ooh that’s gonna be an easy sell.” I wave another, she nods. “Where’s it from?” She checks out the pot. “What kind of chicken is that; how close to cooked?”


“Ale Asylum in Wisconsin, I know a guy. Semur and about ten minutes. Were you going to say Vic was parking?” I frown.


“Of course you do!” She takes out a spoon. “No, he's talking to Rodney.” She tastes the sauce. “So good, this from Wisconsin too?”


“No, from Justin. Semur is in France…” I smile at the memory of the conversation. “...he had it there and got a hankering when Peter found a recipe for it. Said I’d give it a dry run first. Hey Vic, have a beer then taste that.”


“Could murder one!” He sighs. “Michael called the second I hung up from Rodney, doing his trick again!”


“What trick?” I hand it to him. “That’s the Bamboozelator, which is tequila and chardonnay barrel aged. Debs, you’ve got the Pantheon, it’s bourbon aged. Do you think the boys will like them?”


“Absolutely.” Vic nods. “Open the Pantheon for me, please! As for the trick, he keeps trying to get your voicemail in order to fill it so you have to call him. Forgot to do the auto forward thing that Dijon mentioned. Done now.” 


“Why didn’t Dijon tell Brian and Justin about that, buy them some peace.” I gripe.


“He got distracted.” Debs starts on a piece of chicken, I glare. “He and Brandon went to get acquainted.”


“Still no excuse, caring comes before cock.” I huff. “Does it pass muster, Vic?”


“What else is this about?” He eyes me over his bottle, Debs pendulum glances between us. “Ems says you always do something good when you want to tell something bad. So?”


“He flaps too much.” I grouse. “Plate up and let’s talk.”


THIRTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


“Okay we don’t tell Mel; but we must tell Carl - sure he can help somehow. He loves all four of them so much; Peter and John are pretty much his grandchildren.”


“We have to tell Rodney too.” Vic stabs a piece of chicken so hard it skitters to the floor. Cat's delighted. He sashays to the kitchen, which eases the tension a little. “He has friends in higher places than her in the Courthouse.” He stabs again, Cat and friend poke their heads out, Lula snatches the fork. “You think she’s got the same designs as Dusty, but on Mel?”


“Mel?! She’d have no chance, and I’ve never met the unit!” Lula declares.


“Unit?” We echo.


“Hmm. That’s what Peter called her, said it’s how she acted like a guy but doesn’t have a ween.”


“Eunuch!” He chortles, taking the fork back. 


“That makes more sense.” She smiles. “Eunuch, Uhauler, Ugly-Iggy; what’s Lindsay gonna be?”


“Ursula!” Vic declares. “She’s a bully and thinks she should be queen. And according to Mel, sometimes her attitude stinks like rotten fish!”


“Sure she said attitude?” I snipe.


“Sis!” 


“Perfect!” Lula cackles. “Now we…for fuck sake, it’s Michael. Don’t look and get down!”


VIC


Debs is livid as her having her back to him means she can’t peek without being seen.


“Told you not to wear that wig!” I tease her, I feel the finger rising.  


“Details!” She hisses.


“He’s seen me and is heading to the door. One second…” Lula flips over her phone, texting at great speed. “…gonna introduce him to someone! Vic, you slide across and tell Debs what’s happening.”


Him looking at his phone means he misses Lula’s escape. He looks confused. I fume when my mine rings. 


“Give it!” Debs orders. “Brian, honey, all good. Great, need to call you back!” It’s on silent when it’s slid back. “What’s he doing?’ She gets her answer when hers buzzes. 


“You should see his face!” I spit as he leans against the door, radiating slappability. “Looks like Lula’s friend is coming.” 


“For crap sake, be descriptive! Think of it as the phone sex you and Rodney were indulging in this morning!”


“Stop eavesdropping!”  


“Be quieter or have sex. Now tell me what’s happening!”


“The guy has given Michael the once over. He’s not noticed, still leaving a message! He’s nudged him, he’s pointing at his phone. Guy is retreating. Michael’s got his back to him. He’s making another call.” My phone flashes, it’s a text from him, I realise my error and slide it back to her. “Guy’s now leaning in…” The thud of his head hitting the door resonates. “…oh he looks uncomfortable, think an advantage is pressing home!”


MICHAEL


“Do you mind?!”


“Not at all.” He drawls hooking his fingers into my belt and pulling me back against him. “Do you?”


“Can’t you see I’m on a call?!”


“So you don’t mind? That’s good. I’ve got a much better idea for your tongue…”


“Hands off the tenderloin!” I hiss, jabbing him in the ribs. “Let go!” I snarl, he laughs whilst snaking a hand around my waist. “Who the hell are you?! No gentleman, that's for sure!” I turn around and change my mind about protesting further. He is gorgeous and kinda looks like Brian!


“Braydon.” He smiles, I almost choke on my drool! “Whose name am I going to be moaning?”


“Michael. Let me just wrap this up then we get to know each other.”


His hand is hot on my hip. As I hang up, Ma comes around the corner, I hope and pray she doesn’t see me; for once they’re answered!


BACK OF DINER - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LULA


“He reminds me of Brian. Where’s Vic?” Debs tickles Cat’s friend, who purrs loudly. “Why are you calling someone that looks like that to deal with Michael?!” 


“Vic’s talking to Brian. I want to test their friendship.” I lock the door. “I…”


“…did I just see Michael with Braydon?” Vic looks unimpressed. “How do you know him?!”


“Why don’t I?” Debs scowls, her pouting over being the last to know makes me smile.


“I’m sure Michael will introduce you.” I tease. “I killed the mood for him when I mistook him for Brian ducking up an alley with someone who wasn’t Justin. Having done that, I bought him a beer to say sorry. It was he who told me about those; seems he was about to fuck the sales guy.” 


It takes them a while to stop laughing. “But why introduce Michael to him?” Vic scowls. “Oh  Brian asked, can you come and feed the beast? He needs a break.” He frowns as I speed up the packing of the food. “What?”


“Justin’s been going at him.” I crack open the window. “You two be good!” I tell Cat and friend, I get sleepy blinks. 


“Going at him?” Vic looks at Debs, she smirks. “Come on then Miss Know It All, what?”


“Brian once said that Justin knows what to do with his mouth. Who’d thought that the Stud would get tired of blowjobs!”


“I see.” He chuckles. “See Sis you knew something that I didn’t!”


On hearing that I am determined that what goes on in their bedroom, front room, stable, his studio and once - but not since I insisted on a lock - the cloakroom, stays there!


FRONT ROOM, JUSTIN’S HOUSE - FOLLOWING AFTERNOON


MEL


I take the wine from Brian - it’s just what I need after a few trying calls with Lindsay and Loretta. Brian took one look and handed my phone to Justin, who’s making a green goddess salad. “So what was the row between John and Peter about?” 


He scrubs his face. “A couple of their friends from school have been in touch and wanted to FaceTime, but Peter doesn’t. He’s not feeling confident about seeing folks I guess.”


“Would they be Gus and Hunter?” I shift my briefcase and stretch out.


“Yep. I don’t get it. How is it?” He nods at my glass, I grin. “So none for Lindsay then?”


“Definitely not.” I declare. “How against it was he?”


“Furiously, wouldn't speak to John for a couple of hours. Grudgingly, accepted his apology. How’d you know about Gus and Hunter?”


“Heard them talking about meeting him when they’re properly better. Peter’s words.”


“They can come to the house…what does he mean properly better?”


“What do you think he means?” I smile sweetly, he looks blank. “Hunter is gay.”


“Great, they can cruise when they’re older.”


“Kinney!” I chide. “He’s crushing on him! I know it’s been a while but what did you do at his age when you had a crush?!”


“Got in the shower with him.” 


“Jesus!” I snort. “How old were you and who was it?”


“Fourteen and my gym teacher.” He holds my stunned gaze. “I sucked him off and he loved it. Went on for a while.”


“Brian, that’s not a crush, that’s…abuse…” My heart breaks for him. “...he used his position and your vulnerability to abuse…”


“It wasn’t really. I wanted to do it. It was when he would wait in the locker room after classes that I stopped.”


“What happened?” 


“He failed me. Which meant that I had to go to his summer school.”


“Oh god.” My heart is racing and anger mounting.


“By the time we met again, I was 7 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier and had a scholarship, so I spent my summer fucking around and letting him know about it.” I drain my glass. “He was especially pissed because he wanted to be my first.”


“I’m sorry you went through that.” I top us up. “Your besties know?” He nods. “Well knowing him, he will say something about it, so I advise you to tell him before he does.”


“He won’t; he hasn’t yet and he’s had more than one opportunity.”


“But he will!” I assert, his face darkens. “You know him…”


“And I believe and trust him. Why all of a sudden don’t you?!” 


“All of a sudden?!” It takes a beat for me to realise. “Justin knows?!”


“Of course he does! Who the fuck else would I tell something like that?!” 


“Michael.” I whisper; he looks nauseous. “I’m sorry, I just…when did you tell him?”


“The morning after we met.” He chuckles at my shocked look. “Surprised me too. Made it easier though, so when the time came, it felt great, I knew it would be. He took the fear and shame away.” I swallow hard and take the hankie. “There’s more. I had cancer, they got it all…he was pissed that I didn’t reach out, seeing as I knew where he was. I just didn’t want him to see me like that.” 


“Is that one of the tests she’s talking about?!” I growl, he frowns. “Lindsay, said that she wanted your tests rushed through. So it might be genetic?”


“No it’s not and I doubt it, since she doesn’t know that either. They share that nasty lording it over habit.”


I gawk at him. “Will take everything you just said to my grave.” He looks up when the door opens, I snort as he pours Justin’s wine and strokes his butt at the same time. 


“That was so much chopping! Will you behave?” Justin blushes and squirms. “The chicken is on, gonna hop into the shower, will you keep an eye on it? It’s thighs not breast; leave the skin on until we plate up!” 


“Yes dear.” He twitters.


“Such a multitasking housewife…” I tease. “…or should that be husband?” 


“In time.” Justin blows him a kiss and quietly shuts the door..


“I want to sort out your honeymoon when you do!” I declare.


“Deal. So for the other reasons you’re here.” He takes the other end of the couch. “We want to formally adopt the boys and for you to file the paper…you have a hankie!” I give a watery smile. “And to add guardians for them. Justin has picked the boys, so I pick the girls. That means it’s Ben and Emmett and the warhorses that are Debs and you.”


BRIAN


I mop up the spilled wine, a minute later she’s still quiet. “Say something.”


“So Debs and I are gonna be the bad cops - that’s just great!” She wobbles. “I’ll get these filed out of state; Loretta and I share a junior partner, who keeps being a brown noser to me then reporting back...”


“I’ve seen her; sure she’s not a pussy sniffer?” 


“Kinney!” She shudders. “Anyway! Thankfully, my one starts in a couple of weeks, which is  another bone of contention.” She giggles. “Daphne’s a rising star; so of course Loretta thought she should get her. However, Daphne made it a joining condition that she doesn’t work for her, win-win for me.”


I hand her the letter Justin rewrote since fear of rejection was making me waffle. 


“We’ll take care of it, no matter what you say, we’ll take care of it.” 


“You look nervous, what the hell’s this?” She starts to read, her hands tremble and tears flow. “She will go absolutely apeshit.”


“That’s her problem; not ours nor yours. You’re our choice for our baby. However, if you can’t do it for us, we’ll get your endometriosis fixed so that you can do it for yourself.”


“How…of course she did.” She stares at the ceiling. “Gib mir di khukh far der kamf vas ligt faraoys.”


“Which means?”


“God give me strength for the battle that lies ahead. I’d be honoured...”


“Oh thank you! Thank you!” Justin tearfully bursts through the door and into her arms.


“Was chicken the signal?” She hiccups, he nods into her shoulder. 


“Will you please be the mother of our child was all you wrote.” She looks puzzled. “I had written three pages before I’d got to the point.” The poke to his ribs stops his chuckling. “Do you want us to be there when you tell her?”


Justin looks feral. “I’ve been thinking about how we do that.”  


Which means we're going to be ‘talking’ long and deep into the night!


Ale Asylum Wisconsin

Semur Chicken

Green Goddess Salad

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kiind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks