- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - PREPPING FOR THE TRUTH TO BE TOLD AND NEW HOUSEHOLD


MEL


We're trying not to laugh at the messaging and plotting they’re no doubt doing. Michael’s need to go to the bathroom within seconds of Lindsay going to find the pad was just a coincidence.


“I’m going to twist the knife a bit more.” I declare as I text. “Right, that's that done, just say yes to whatever, okay?” I glance at her folder. “Feel free to light a fire.”


“Go to the kitchen.” Brian sits astride him. “Shut the door on your way out.”


Justin’s feeble protest about love bites makes me giggle. As I take out more champagne, her study door closes and the john flushes.


“Are you alright, Michael?” He jumps. “Have you sprayed or cracked the window?”


“Sprayed or cracked the…there was no need to.” He scowls. “Why are you opening more?” 


“More what?” Lindsay joins us. “Why is the door shut?”


“Champagne, we're celebrating, remember? And I kicked the door stop on accident.” 


As he opens the door to the destruction of their hopes and dreams with a bottle each, I start the count from ten. “For fuck!” Michael yells, while her face goes from ashen to puce  “Must you Justin?!”


“Yes.” Brian drawls. “Out of respect for Mel, he’d only let me do so much.”


“Thanks guys, being respected means a lot.” I smile. “Have you called the boys or Lula?”


“They’d be asleep by now surely?” Lindsay grimaces as Justin drums Brian’s ass.


“Brian, dismount…” I snicker as Justin zips him back up. “...and call them.”


“The pad.” She slaps it down. “I thought you wouldn't let him do so much, Justin?”


“He wouldn't. I have no such qualms.”


“Let's use your phone.” Justin murmurs, the three lovebites stark against his skin. “Then I need to call Ems, he’ll be pissed if he hears it from anyone else.”


“Of course.” Brian smoulders and dials, it's not only Justin’s eyes that blaze.


“Hey there, how are you doing?” Lula chirps. “Need just me or the boys too?” 


“Boys too.” Brian smiles.


“Uncle Brian, please be quick…” Michael looks so affronted. “...we’re talking to Hunter and Gus.”


“That’s great.” Justin beams. “So we're engaged.”


“You and Brian are getting married?! When?!” Lula screams whilst the boys cheer.


“Quiet down, quiet down!” Brian hollers. “As for when, Justin, please keep Friday free.”


“Why?”


“We can get a licence online tomorrow and use Friday to get all the other documentation sorted out.”


“Let me speak to my friend!” Lula declares. “And Debs!”


“This news should come from me.” Michael steams. “I’ll do it in the morning.”


“Of course you will. Mr and Mr Kinney to be, see you tomorrow!”


“Later, Mr and Mr Kinney!” The boys yell.


JUSTIN


I love Mel so much! She is brilliant. Once Lula's ‘friend’ comes through, I can wear my ring in public. In the beginning it felt good to have it be our little secret, however, we realised they were coming first again. We’ve moved on together. They accept that or get left behind. Although I’m determined they’re consigned to our past, even if they manage to get away with what they did to the boys.


“What do you think?” Brian leans us back, his phone on his thigh. I bite back my squeal at his message: ‘officially we’re Mr and Mr Kinney, professionally you use Taylor. Doable? And Lula has let Ems know to play dumb.’


“That’s doable.” I chuckle and dial. When he picks up, he sounds flustered. “Ems, you alright?” 


“I’m fine! Just needed to get out from under!” He laughs. “Thank you, now to what do I owe this late night call?” 


“I’m going to be Mr Kinney, Brian’s proposed.”


“On speaker! Word for word that for me again!”


“I'm going to be Mr Kinney, Brian’s proposed.”


“Oh, dreams do come true!” Ems snivels. “Where are you now?!”


“At Mel and Lindsay’s…”


“You need to come to mine immediately!” 


“We’ll be there in about an hour, Honeycutt!” Brian laughs. 


“I’ll allow that one, now get moving, I am ordering Thai!”


BRIAN

 

That reaction from Ems warms my soul. “Can we pass by Woody's?” Justin asks as I help him into his coat and he pockets my phone.


“For Chocolate Box? If so, you need to get him to get beef…”


“I’ll text on the way.” He nips my chin.


“Give it back to Brian…” Lindsay froths. “…we need to speak to him later.”


“He asked me to hold it.” He returns calmly, but I know he’s fired up. “I need to speak to Ben about the wedding, I don’t want there to be any tension, so…”


“Wow, Justin, thanks!” Michael exclaims. “What a gesture. I hope another can be made to our new working relationship. I want to work with you, not Blake on Rage - I have some ideas too, sure you’ll like them.” 


Justin grips my side, how is Michael oblivious to his anger?! “What gesture?” Justin fumes.


“You kicked Ben to the curb for me. So when shall we three…”


“Which three?” I manage to pry his fingers free.


Lindsay looks over his shoulder. “Me, you and Michael to discuss the nuptials, obviously, he can’t be there, we’ll make it a surprise. Let’s schedule everything for the morning, then Michael and I can go and look for suits…”


“Why do you think Ben is being kicked to the curb?” I wince as he grips again. “And suits for what?” 


“You don’t want us to wear suits as de facto best man and groomswoman?” He returns Mel's sneering look. “What’s that face for?”


“You’re joking, right?” Mel demands. 


“No we're not.” Lindsay exclaims. “It will be a grand…”


“I’m not kicking Ben out of the wedding!” Justin rails, I hold him close. “I’m going to ask him and Ems to decide between them who is the best man and who is the man of honour!”


“What about Peter and John?” Mel rejoins. “They won’t want you there. So the next call is to the parents; they need to be locked down.”


He dials quickly. “Hey, Debs, can you get Vic too?”


“Justin, what are you doing?” Michael demands, his attempt to prod is stopped by Mel getting between them, her murderous look silences him and Lindsay.


“Sunshine, what’s up?” Vic asks. “Will you be long, we have soaps to…”


“Vic, will you give me away?” I love this take charge Justin and my respect for Merl has soared tenfold. “Debs, can you do the same for Brian, please?”


“Yes! Yes and fuckaduck triple yes!” Debs screams, whilst Vic is singing here comes the grooms. 


“Guess we’ll speak to you tomorrow.” I mutter.


“Byeeee!” Vic shouts. 


“Parents sorted.” Justin eases his grip. “As for Brian’s side, Peter and John will be his best man and man of honour - they’ll decide which is which. Mel, will you be our celebrant?”


MEL


Everyone is quiet. “Well, will you?” Justin prompts.


“That, like Michael telling and asking Debs and Vic, is down to Brian!” Lindsay fumes. “Mel, you can’t be his…”


“It’ll be my pleasure.” I kiss their cheeks. “Why should I decline?”


“Because it should be his best friends…”


“Out of the three of you, she's his best friend.” Justin gazes at Brian. “Is there a problem with this?” His mumbled response, makes them smirk. “Uh…oh okay. I need to make one thing clear, we three will never have a relationship. For Rage and shows deal with Blake and Sidney.”


“You can’t have the boys as your best men, Brian.” Michael states. “Didn’t you hear how dismissive and disinterested they were?” 


“Besides, they don’t know you as well as we do.” Lindsay asserts. “We know what you’d like.” 


“Now, leaving now.” Brian orders.


“I’ll see you out.” I catch Brian’s eye and wink. When I rejoin the toxic twosome, they’re having more champagne and cackling. “What’s with the toxic joy?”


“Justin’s in trouble.” Lindsay declares putting the folder on the table. “I’ll take this with us.”


“Very much so!” Michael gloats. “Brian was unhappy, he called him a stupid ass.”


“Was that what he said?!” Lindsay basks. “So all those plans will swiftly come to…”


“He’s not in trouble, and Brian is very happy.” They look scornful. “He said DILLIGAF, which Justin didn’t get immediately. It’s an acronym for does it look like I give a fuck…”


“As per usual, you’re…wait who’s there?!” Michael demands, their jaws drop when the grooms-to-be enter, grinning and reeking! “I thought you’d gone!”


“We’re going now, but we need that.” Brian hands her folder to Justin, he takes out the papers.


“I like the folder, Lindsay. But these are kindling.” They burn immediately. “Be an environmentalist and don’t print that shit again. Let Mel know where you bought the folder, I’ll send her the money. Ready?”


“Yeah, we worked up a huge appetite.” He mock salutes and closes the door on their laughter.


LINDSAY


“They've definitely gone.” Michael fumes as he sits, I watch my papers turn to ash. “What did they do and where did they do it?!” 


“Don’t know what and I’m sure they used the main bathroom.” Mel states. “If not, then one of us will have to change their sheets…”


“How could you allow them to do that?!” I steam, she sips and shrugs. “You have no respect for me, for Michael, I just don’t know who you are these days!”


“Brian’s got off here before with your encouragement.”


“That’s different!” I explode.


“Mel, you shouldn't have let him fuck in here!” Michael exclaims.


“Why, because it’s with Justin? They don’t fuck, they have quickies and make love. I overheard you two talking about them tricking together. You can’t stand it that he never did that with you, Michael? Lindsay, I remember your expression from earlier, been so long since I’d seen it. Get it through your thick heads that Brian will never top you or let you strap him!” 


“You must be hammered!” Michael shouts. “You owe us an apology when you’re sober!”


I’m shaking with fury. “Get out of my sight whilst we still have a relationship to fight for!” 


“We don’t.” She states coldly. “First thing in the morning, you two move into that fully furnished four bed bungalow that Loretta and Dusty and your true bestie and my now ex helped you to find.”


“Wait…” Michael wails, but I’m poleaxed - she’s just dumped me! “…that’s just for me, not me and Lindsay!” 


“DILLIGAF.” She declares. “Go to bed - Lindsay, use the sofa or share with him, I don’t care. Be up at seven sharp, because Blake, Ted, Ben, Brandon and Leda will be coming to help you both pack!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing please be kind and constructive. Thanks.