- Text Size +

CHAPTER 2 - HISTORY COMES TO THE DINER FOR DINNER


MEL AND LINDSAY'S HOUSE - NEXT DAY, LATE AFTERNOON 


LOUNGE


VIC


I can’t believe the document that she wants Brian to sign, and am, like Mel still is, furious. 


Debs was already simmering after what Michael said, she’s now almost spitting fire as she reads it. “I’ve always thought that Dusty was bad news!” I stop her from ripping them in half. “So what are you going to do about this influence she’s exerting?”


“Influence?” Mel frowns.


“Honey.” Like Debs I’ve no time for Dusty, who seemed to be a nice lady, except she’s a narcissistic masc stud that needs pulling down a peg or two. Of course, Brian’s saw through her act immediately, which is why she hates him. She also, to my mind, is after Lindsay. “She knew you wouldn’t let Brian near that, so she got her bottom feeder to do it.”


She looks so sad, almost defeated. “What do you suggest I do? If I speak to Brian alone, she’s going to go ballistic, shrieking that he’s her best friend.”


“But she's your wife.” Debs points out after knocking back her wine. “Who is speaking about your business to someone else. Which he would be pissed about, if he knew.” She pours more wine. “Tell him. He’d do the same.” She glances at her phone, I hand it to her. “On speaker.” Debs prompts.


“You’re right, nowadays he would.” She whispers. After two attempts, the hoarse voice of my favourite boy comes over the airways. “Did I interrupt?”


He snorts. “I picked up, therefore no. Who’s with you?”


“What do you mean?” 


He slurps his beverage. “Have croissants, will start smacking.”


“No!” I cringe. “Me and Debs. And if you sign that, I’ll bust you in the cock!” 


“So where’d she get it written up?” The rustling says he’s still in bed. 


“Dusty’s attorney.” Debs replies. Mel glares and he hisses. “You were stalling, when you’re not at fault.”


“Couldn’t you let her stay on the sofa?!” He sighs as something dings.


“Oh, she’s not. Tell me she’s not at yours?!” Mel fumes, Debs is already corking the wine, I’m getting my coat and keys. “We’ll be there in 30 minutes.”


“Make it 20 if you want her un-eviscerated!” He clips out and hangs up.


“Let me call Carl, we’ll be there in 15!” Debs growls, waving us ahead.


BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I put my hair up, wishing I had accepted Dusty’s offer of Advil before I left. We were up all night talking about Mel’s complete overreaction to the document. Brian’s not said anything, so he’s obviously fine about it! Besides, he’s a multi-millionaire, and by the time he’s wanting things, as I’m determined to have a boy - or keep trying until I do - Brian will have calmed down from his wild ways and want to spoil his son and heir.


I check the house again, it’s magnificent. Far too large for him, of course, but he likes things big. Seems, judging by the lack of life at this hour, he’s recovering from last night’s debauchery. I take my purse and the papers, grateful that Dusty reprinted them after Mel shredded everything.


Having to knock on an admittedly beautiful door, really irks, but he’ll have to give me a key now. Like Dusty says, it makes perfect sense. However, before I can, he opens it. “Letting out company?” I tease, stepping inside.


“Letting some wanted ones in.” He drawls, which makes me frown. It deepens at the sound of sirens, however, he blocks my exit. “Go to the front room whilst I deal with this.”


“I’ll just grab some Advil and rest in the drawing room.” I declare, scowling at the colloquialism. A house this grand does not have a front room!


TEN MINUTES LATER


The headache has gone, thank goodness. I managed to find Vicodin, so I took a couple of those - and a few strips for later. Hopefully they won’t be needed, but I never know how Mel’s going to be these days. 


I opened a bottle of 2017 Chateau Belair Monange and poured generously. He’s got a few, so one is by my feet for my cellar. I top up my glass and get comfortable, pulling the documents closer when the front door shuts. 


“Why were the police here?” I call, wondering what’s taking him so long.


“Why are you here?” Mel’s icy presence has me splashing wine over myself in shock.


“Mel!” I gasp, trying to gather my thoughts. They’re further scattered when an unimpressed Vic and Debs follow. “Where’s Brian?! What’s happened?!”


“Talking to Carl.” Mel growls, picking up the bottle, then peering in my purse. “So you’re on wine having taken Vicodin? And where are you going with this? Did you ask Brian if you could take a $125 bottle of wine?”


“Don’t be silly Mel.” Debs yips. “She never does. I’ll hold onto this for now.”


EMMETT’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


RECEPTION 


EMMETT


My jaw is still swinging. “Stop gaping and hug me!” My favourite nymph ever giggles. It's been two years since I last saw him in the flesh and I’ve missed him. “Ems! Hug!” He gives me a firm shake, I hold him tight. “Hug, not strangle!” He croaks.


I let go, he gingerly stretches. “Oh, Sunshine!” I wobble. “What the hell are you doing here?!”


“I’ve done roaming and am back for good.” He drops his holdalls. “Can I crash here for a week or two until my place is ready?”


“Place?” I pull him into the kitchen. “Where is it?”


“Thirty minutes outside of Pittsburgh. A nice country pile.” He pushes his hair off his face. “I finally found a use for some of the money that I got.” I sigh, wishing he wouldn’t joke about being bashed by his former classmate, Chris Hobbs, at their prom. 


It took him a year to recover from his injuries, after which he fought through the courts, alone I might add, after his parents abandoned him the second he was attacked. Not only did he win, but he won big. First, Hobbs was properly sentenced from the paltry six months community service to 15 years in jail. Then he sued the school, the Hobbs family and the police department for complicity, he was awarded millions. The school was forced to close, heads rolled at the police department, and the family was made bankrupt. 


“So I can stay, right?” 


“Of course you can!” I declare, pulling myself from that shitshow. “When did you get back?”


“Yesterday, visited a few haunts and bumped into at least one friendly face.” His grin lights up the room, as it always does. “Could do with seeing more though, chances of us going to the diner are?”


“High, oh so very high!” I laugh, looking forward to the looks on peoples faces when the other legend shows his again.


BRIAN’S HOUSE


BRIAN


Carl stands over Lindsay, his gaze unflinching, hand outstretched. “Yes, this is necessary, unless you want to be arrested for driving under the influence.” Flame faced, she hands over her keys. “You can pick up your vehicle after four tomorrow. By that time, it should be out of your system. Vic, will you drive us back?”


“Of course.” He grins.


“Great. So wine for five then, I’ll be mother.”


“Mel, can we please go home?” Lindsay demands. 


“You came for a reason, with that, what is it?” I sit opposite her. “If it was to sweet talk me into signing it, fuck off. Even without them present, I won’t.”


“You’re backing out of helping us be parents?! So much for you not breaking a promise!”


“Oh no, girlie, you’re not pulling that!” Debs rails. 


“Ma.” I chide gently, she sometimes forgets that I’m not Michael and can fight my own battles. “Let me.”


“Standing and sitting down.” She retorts, giving Lindsay a look that could stop Kraken.


“You want so much, but give me nothing in return.”


“You can see the child whenever you want!” 


“With no choice or say in anything!” I snap, feeling so hurt that she thinks so little of me apart from fiscally. “And these penalties you’ve come up with! Or should I say Musty Dusty’s cocksucker did.”


“Don’t call her that!” 


“Smelly says I can, so Imma gonna go with that right now.” 


“Well I don’t like it, so stop!”


“But it’s okay for me to call her Smelly, is it?!” I seethe. “Defend the right person, or she won’t be here for you to do so!” She goes to speak but another Kraken stopping look, this time from Mel, silences her. “Go home Lindsay, or to Dusty’s. Just get out of here and think about how we go forward, because you’re dangerously close to losing me and her.”


“Brian! How can you say that?! I’m only trying to protect the future of our child!”


“Bullshit!” Mel explodes.


“Everyone calm down!” Carl orders. “Just got a text from Ems, he asked if he can use the diner for an all family round up, as he’s got a surprise. Am going to say yes, and cook. So you all have to be there, or I will be fucked off.” We’re still simmering and exchanging heated looks. “I said calm down. Back to your corners. Get there for seven. Comprendere!”


“We’ll be there. Mel, you’re staying. We three need distance.” 


“Thanks, Brian.” She kisses my cheek, then heads to her room.


“This is going to be a very quiet journey home.” Lindsay sighs.


“No it’s not!” Vic growls.


DINER, BACK BOOTH - SEVEN PM


MICHAEL


Neither Ma, Uncle Vic, nor Brian are speaking to me properly. However, whatever it is that Emmett wants us to see has at least thawed the ice a little. Ma, when I told her what I said, damn near ripped my balls off. She, of course, told Uncle Vic, who at least understood where I was coming from a little being a fellow sufferer. My relief at having him onside for once was short lived. He called me a shithead for not considering that Ben would want to be in a child’s life for however long.


As for Ben, he stayed out way past lunch and dinner. He stank of booze and I made him sleep in the spare room. He must have been very drunk, as he didn’t argue. Our conversations have been stiff ever since, all he would say about his evening was that he met a friend. 


“Ted?!” Ma cries and I’m surprised too. “Come here immediately!” He’s engulfed in a hug and tears stream down her face. “So lovely to see you, how’s everything, you're back for good?”


“Everything’s great. And yes, back for good.” He looks around, his face falling slightly when he sees me. “Nobody else about?”


“You mean you’re not the surprise from Ems?” She asks.


“No, he doesn’t know I’m back.”


“I do now!” Emmett shrieks, running towards him. I feel a stab of envy at their closeness, especially after yesterday. “Oh my Teddy!” He covers his face in kisses, before turning him around. “You look so well!”


“Thanks, the love of a good man helps.”


“You met someone whilst you were away?!” Ma demands, pulling him to stand in front of her. “Who and where?!”


“Me and California airport.” A familiar voice replies. “Hi Ems, Debs.” My heart sinks as Blake Wyzecki is swept into their embraces. I dislike him so much, what with his obvious crush on Ben! “Michael, where’s that handsome boyfriend of yours?”


“My husband will be joining us shortly.” I bite out.


“You have a talent then? Who’d have thought it would be something like that.” He drawls, making Ted and Emmett laugh. Ma clips him gently around the ear, not the defence I deserve!


“Sit, sit.” Emmett orders, pushing them opposite me whilst he helps Ma with the coffee. “So what’s this about Vic and a date?” I gape at her, she’s grinning smugly. “What’s the man’s name?”


“Rodney. And this is their third. He packed his scanties.” She laughs before turning to me. “I would keep any thoughts to yourself, especially that one! Hey, Mel and Kiddo, will you look at who's here!”


“Schmidt! You’re back, move Blake!” Brian orders, hauling Ted out of the seat, he hugs him hard and kisses his cheek! Livid does not come close! “You two are coupled up now?”


“Yes.” Blake laughs and he hugs him too! 


EMMETT


“So this is the surprise?” Mel beams as she and Brian sit next to Ted and Blake, just where I need them to be. I check the door and see Ben coming in. “Ems?”


“No, mine’s just washing his hands. Ben, how are you feeling, after last night's shenanigans?”


“Fine, Ems.” He calls as he enters. “Are we all here, shall I lock the door Debs?”


“Yes please honey.”


As he approaches, he beams, Michael thinks this is for him so smiles back. “Hi, how’s your head?”


“My head?” He frowns. “Unlike you, I wasn’t out drinking.”


“He’s talking to me. And mine is fine.” The lilting tones of Justin stuns all but Carl, who had demanded to know what the surprise was, host privileges he claimed. 


It’s Debs who recovers first. “Be gentle!” He pleads as she grabs him. Five minutes later, he’s signalling for help, Mel and I get him out, whilst Brian chuckles. “No Lindsay?”


“She’s got a headache, so is giving it a miss.” Mel returns, her tone slightly chilly and Brian squeezes her hand, another row must have happened. 


I will find out about that later. For now, I need to sort out something else. “Justin, sit down.” I push him next to Michael, who stiffens. “Problem, Michael?”


“Yes, Ben will be sitting next to me. So he’ll have to move.”


“Well, if Ben comes and asks me to, then I will. Meanwhile, I’ll admire the view.” He turns his gaze to Brian, who holds it unfazed. “Which has improved over the years.”


“You’ve filled out.” Brian sips his coffee. “In town long?”


“For good. Have bought a house and everything.” Whilst Brian barely flickers, Michael looks horrified. “Am going to be throwing a party to which most of you are invited. Obviously, Michael, given our history, you'll have to find something else to do that night. Perhaps you and Lindsay could take in a movie?”


“Why would I go with Lindsay? It would be Ben and I not attending.” 


“Justin was his friend before you came along and will be his friend long after you’ve gone. You know, when you talk your ass into a divorce.” I growl, sitting next to Justin, whilst Debs sits next to Brian, meaning they’re opposite each other. “Now, listen to me you Wankering Wannabe Widower, don’t say that shit again! Now fix this or I’ll fix it for you.”


“And I’ll help, with whatever it is.” Justin adds, glaring at him. “You know how persuasive I can be.” The hateful look he gives Justin, simply makes him smile. “Is that the best you’ve got? You and Hobbs have something in common: trapped in a prison that I put you in.” Mel clears her throat, Justin shakes his head. “There’s only one way I’m going to stop, he has to ask.” All eyes turn to Brian. “Seems he’s not inclined to save your ass this time.” Once more blue eyes meet green. “Or are you?”


“Behave, the pair of you. Let’s just have a nice evening. Shall we go check the food Emmett?”


“Do I have a choice?” He shakes his head. “Can Ben come too? I need a line of defence!”


“Fine, let’s go.” Brian orders, and although I’m due a bollocking, the relief on Ben’s face makes me want to hug him. 


KITCHEN


BRIAN


I wait for the door to shut. “Nellycutt, you bastard!” I growl, shoving him against the fridge. He laughs before kissing my hand, I flick his nose. “How long have you been hiding him?!”


“A few hours. I swear I didn’t know he was back until he turned up at my place this morning. And don’t call me Honeycutt or Nellycutt!” I glower before starting to grin. “Not mad then?”


“Shut up!” I grump, pulling him from the fridge. “You know what he’s cooking? What’s the savoury to sweet ratio?” No response, sighing I turn around. “What?”


“What.” Ben mocks. “He’s looking fucking hot, that's what! Nothing, you’re not feeling anything?!”


“Nope, not a thing.”


“And why would he?!” Michael’s sharp tone wipes the smile off Ben’s face. “Why are you telling Emmett our private things, Ben?!”


“He didn’t tell me, you did.” Emmett snaps, moving behind Ben where there isn’t a grill pan he can reach. “I was with him when you pocket dialled him during your chat with Brian. How’d you get by Justin?”


“He and Blake went to pick up something, men most likely!”


“For god sake, get over it!” Ben snarls. “Yes, Blake fancied me, but he’s with Ted now and they look happy. Like Ems said, fix things with me, which by the way, you asking why Brian would feel anything for Justin is not the way to do it!”


“You asked too!” He snaps.

 

“My context is different. I don’t dream of sleeping with Brian before you’re even cold!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thx