- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - EXPLAINING THE PAST AND STAKING HIS CLAIM ON THE FUTURE


EMMETT


I’m not sure who is more horrified, me or Brian. 


“Wh-what? No. No.” Brian is rigid with revulsion. “We’re just friends, there’s no feeling like that there. Right, Michael? Michael! That's right, isn’t it?!”   


“Where did you get that idea?!” Michael squawks. “Like he said, we’re best friends only.”


“He said friends, you added best.” Ben growls. “You tend to embellish where he is concerned.”


Carl comes through the back. Looking around, he sighs. “Whatever this is, take it home. Ben, Michael, go sit down and play nice!” Ben leaves, but Michael doesn’t. “Michael, go and sit down, these two will be out in a second or two.”


“Literally a second or two, Brian, okay? You know what Justin’s like!” He carps.


“The quicker you go, the quicker he gets back.” Carl opens the door, we suppress our giggles when it clips him as it shuts.


“Before you start, not my fault!” Brian protests. “Justin came with Nellycutt, and I had no idea Ben was going to say that!”


“Nellycutt, cute. I know it’s not your fault, Brian. Also, I didn’t hear what Ben said, but trouble always finds you when those two are in the same space. Add Blake to the mix, well that’s another level. Keep them contained, I don’t want in-fighting. You don’t have a problem with Justin being back, do you?” He chuckles when Brian rolls eyes. “Thought not. Like I said, contain them. Now, go start, as I mean you to go on.”


“We were checking the food.” I point out.


“Not anymore, send Debs.” He orders. We troop out to do as we’re told, well I do, Brian goes to the bathroom.


TED


“Ben went to get beers. Michael’s outside on the phone, complaining to Lindsay, after he was rejected and humiliated by his husband.” I explain to a puzzled looking Ems, because Mel can’t speak for laughing. 


“Did Ben really say that about his fantasy of Brian fucking him?”


“Yes.” Ems tucks his arm into mine as he sits. “Although he denied it, as the western seaboard heard. How was he rejected?”


“He wanted to help Ben, who said he could manage. Michael translated that to you’re wholly useless, fuck off eat shit and die.” She titters.


“Of course he did.” Ems remarks.


“Psst!” Blake hisses from the corridor. “Has he gone-gone?” 


“Not for long-long, come out you two!” Mel orders, shaking her head as Blake and Justin giggle. “Blake! I heard Carl, how is this nice?!” 


“What?” Blake simpers as he puts on Ben’s jacket. “I’m cold.”


“Where’s Brian?” Justin asks, getting more coffee. 


“In the bathroom.” Ems replies, as Michael storms towards us. 


“How coincidental, I need relief.” Justin throws over his shoulder, and sashays away.


“Blake! Why are you wearing my husband’s jacket?!” 


“It feels like he’s giving me a hug.” He makes no move to take it off. “Ted doesn't mind, do you?”


“I mind!” He gestures for it, his lips getting thinner and thinner. 


Blake pulls it tighter. “Ben wouldn’t, and since it's his, he can peel it off me.”


“Blake!” Michael shrieks, eyes bulging and veins popping in his neck.


“Michael!” He parrots back.


“For fuck sake, give me my husband’s coat!” He snarls.


“Make up your mind, is this his coat or jacket?” Blake smirks.


“Take it off!” He screeches, reaching for the collar, but Blake, snapping like a terrier, has him fearing for his fingers. “Ted, do something!”


“Mmmm, no. You’re the one who wants it. Besides, him misbehaving makes for fun times at home.”


“Give it back before he implodes.” Ems orders. Blake tries looking cute, but he’s unmoved. 


Sighing, Blake starts to unbutton it very slowly, eyes on Michael.


“Hurry up!” He froths, fists balled.


“Are you being a mime?” Justin drawls, returning with Brian, who sits down smirking. “Can you do it always, the silence is golden.”


Michael’s twitching at them being together is making Mel corpse, although because of her court-face and Michael’s Michaelness, he’s oblivious. However, Brian’s smirking is causing that to slip. 


“Justin! How lovely to see you!” Lindsay trills. Whatever reaction she or Michael are hoping for, they don’t get. In fact, she joins him being thin lipped when Justin slinks next to Brian, so he’s almost in his lap. “I'm so glad I caught you.”


“That makes one of us.” He returns coldly, she stops her scowl, just.


“And Ted, great to have you back in the fold.” She beams, which I don’t return.


“Recovered from your headache?” He asks. “Or did you drag yourself out of your sickbed to protect what's not, nor will ever be, yours?” 


“I don’t know what you mean. When Michael said you were back in town, I had to come.”


“Why? Want to find out what I’m doing so that you can send someone in to destroy my confidence with an assassination job like you did with Crasswell?” Gritting her teeth causes her head to shake. “Let me save you from screwing around to pull in a favour, allegedly. I’m not doing anything that you can destroy simply because you were jealous of my artistic ability and being prettier than you.”


“Don’t blame Lindz because you got big headed and were brought down to earth!” Michael fumes, all thoughts of coat forgotten as he leaps to defend his comrade in arms in the crusade to oust Justin from Brian’s life. “And I suppose it's my fault that your ambitions to do the comic came to naught?” He leans against the booth. “We introduced you to people who knew better than you, who had experience in your chosen fields. They make tiny suggestions and you flounce off in a sulk!”


“Who says they came to naught?” Ben makes Michael jump, as he comes back with beer. “Your, and I use the term loosely, friends did a hatchet on him but nobody else did. They recognised what you feared so assisted and nurtured.”


JUSTIN


I love Ben! He’s such a decent bloke who I’m determined to separate from Michael, much in the same way that Michael separated me from Brian. I can’t entirely blame him for the latter, I wasn’t strong enough to fight for him then, I am now. I look across at Mel, she watches Lindsay, who, of course, doesn't notice. Like Michael, she only sees me and Brian when I’m in his orbit.


That was the first time I met them, the morning after I met him. They came to the loft, both most put out when Brian said I could stay for breakfast. 


Start of flashback


WOODY’S - FIVE YEARS PRIOR


JUSTIN


“Christ, this might not have been the best idea!” I mutter, as I bat away another hand on my ass. “I’ll give it two more drinks, then I’m going.” I decide, finding a corner to watch the baccanale that is Woody’s. It's fascinating, I’m so glad that I didn’t let the harm and hatred of Hobbs and my ex-parents stop me from living my life. I’m proudly gay, and him bashing my brains in wasn’t going to change that.


“Well, hello, beautiful.” A burly bloke drawls. He smells of booze and looks revolting.


“Goodbye, ugly.” I return, sipping my drink. 


To my left, someone snickers, whilst he turns from friendly to feral. “I’m known around here, you’d best be nice to me.”


“Okay. Never met a man who wants syphilis and oral herpes, a refreshing change! Let's meet around the back and you can start sucking.” He frowns, trying to get his bog of a brain to compute. I drain my glass and take his hand, he looks panicked, so I lick it. “Ready?”


He wrenches free, wiping it on his side.“I don’t eat diseased chicken!” He seethes, but not loud enough for anyone else to hear.


“Pity, was looking forward to infecting you.” I retort. The snickering gets louder, but stops when the guy balls his fists and gets closer. “Back off.” I glower.


“I will snap you in half after I’m done with you.”


“Do that, and I snap that tiny cock of yours. He said back off.” My saviour’s arm pulls me close. By tightening his grip, he stops my quaking. “Hey, Bogmonster, look up here!”


Bogmonster does and gasps. “I didn’t know he was with you!” He stammers.


“Fuck off!” He orders. I almost collapse in relief when he hurries away. 


“Thank you.” I stammer, turning in his arms, I rest my head against his chest, breathing deep to calm down. “Let me buy you a drink.” I look up. “Holy goddamn!” I gasp, upon seeing his pure beauty. “I mean, a drink to say thank you.”


“I’ll take both.” He grins. “You stay here, I’ll get them, you like whisky?” I nod. “Make sure you can see me at all times.” I smile as keeping an eye on him wouldn’t be a problem! He’s barely got ten steps when Bogmonster comes back. “Leave Justin alone, you dickhead!” He roars, much to my surprise. How did he find out my name?! “Come on, Justin, let’s go. If you’re lucky and still here later, Bogmonster, I’ll tell you how his ass felt around my cock!” He stops by the bouncer. “He comes out, we’ll never fuck!” He growls. The bouncer nods and heads towards the bar.


Within two minutes we’re standing by a jeep. “You able to get home okay?”


“Sure, I’m in the Liberty Avenue Hotel. Shouldn’t take me long.” He opens the door whilst shaking his head. “What?”


“Get in, we’ll go to mine, at least until the wolves have fed elsewhere.” He nudges my elbow, I hold my ground. “I mean you no harm, unless you want me to.” I huff at his arrogance and take my seat. 


THE LOFT - AN HOUR LATER


“Heroic and beautiful.” I smile, taking the coffee. “And psychic.” He frowns. “I didn’t tell you my name, how’d you know it?”


“I read the news. You were a headliner almost two years ago. How are you now?” He sits opposite, sips and stares. “You don’t have to talk about it.”


“It’s fine and I'm fine. I was surprised, that's all, nobody asks anymore.” I keep the bitterness at bay. “Thanks. And who are you?”


“Brian. Brian Kinney.” He pauses, then relaxes a little. “So what are you going to do? Now that you’ve recuperated, to all intents and purposes.”


“Now that I've moved here, I’ve gone back to school. I’m going to Carnegie for general studies and PIFA for art.”


“Good. I mean what are you going to do about Hobbs? You can appeal it.”


“I am. Don’t care how long it takes, he’s going down for attempted murder. And I’m going after the school, the police department, everyone who let me down.”


“Good for you.” He declares, sitting closer. “Now then, what do you want to do?”


“Um, watch TV.” He raises an eyebrow. “I’ve barely watched any since the bashing, and The Yellow Submarine is on. It's my favourite movie. I was going after that drink to watch it.” I trail off embarrassed. He regards me for a few seconds. “I’m gonna go.” I drain my cup and stand, before kissing his forehead. 


“I really do appreciate what you did, but I’m not going to pay you in any kind.”


He touches my kiss. “Fair enough.” He makes no move to stop me leaving, but I still walk backwards. “Stop being a twot! I had you in my jeep for an hour. Wouldn’t then have been the ideal time to stake my claim on your precious virtue?”


I groan at my stupidity, then register what he said. “What makes you think I’ve got a precious virtue?!” 


“Because you do.” He replies. We stare at each other. “What channel?”


“NBC Classic.” I reply, retaking my seat.

 

End of flashback


We didn’t see much of the movie as we were making out for hours. And although we shared a bed, he accepted my refusal to be another notch on his bedpost. 


They hated my continual presence, though in Michael’s case it eased a bit when I introduced the group to Ben. He was the substitute teacher, and we became friends. Michael was as nice as pie until they got engaged, then he went back to being a chundertwat. I didn’t go to their wedding, as I would’ve objected. Brian didn’t want to go either, but a sense of duty made him. 


Lindsay was never a hag in front of anyone though, but it got worse when Brian helped me with parts of my cases, which is how he and Mel got closer, a common cause. Lindsay made sure she didn’t represent me, but like Brian, she helped, and in doing so, she saw he wasn’t the dastardly dickhead that she was encouraged to think. 


She and Emmett always laugh when Michael and Lindsay describe me as the trick that wouldn’t leave, because although we tricked together for a while, and made out a lot, we’ve never slept together.


“Excuse me, Ben, what do you mean?” Lindsay brings me out of my musings.


“I mean he didn’t flounce off in a sulk. He went to live out his dreams and aspirations. How many countries have you organised your clients to show in now?”


“Clients? Show?” Lindsay gurgles. “What do you mean Ben?”


“Can I help, Debs?” I ask as the kitchen door opens.


“Michael, now you can help since you’re nearer.” I know that tone from Ben. Michael doesn’t, although he does look confused by his change in tune. “That's not a problem, is it?” 


“No, of course not.” 


BEN


The smells coming from the kitchen mean that Lindsay's question is temporarily forgotten. Carl is an excellent cook. He's the one person, apart from Debs, whose food Brian eats without question. 


“The garlic ginger shrimp toasts need to be eaten hot!” Debs declares. 


Justin grabs two, putting them on Brian’s plate, then helping himself. “Is that Ahi tuna?” He gasps. Carl nods and smiles. “I’ve not had that in years, nobody comes close to how you do it! Give it here!” He pauses. “Oh, come on, duck and waffles, if there’s watermelon sorbet in brandy baskets, then Ems told you I was here!”


Carl puts it down with a chuckle. “Chef’s privilege.”


“Ooh you could’ve told me!” Debs shoves him, he shoves her back.


“You two are still not dating?!” Blake exclaims.


“No, they’re not! Why should they be?!” Michael fumes.


“Because she needs someone to play dominoes with.” Blake snipes. “Date already, you can double with me and Ted one night. We’ll make sure you almost behave.”


“To answer your question, Lindsay.” I interrupt Michael’s bellyaching. “In England, France, Germany, Italy and North America.” 


She stares at Justin, he meets her gaze before hers goes to Brian. “Did you know about this?”


“No. He's got a good eye and recognises talent. As I said to everyone he will be a flaming success. Well done, want to tell me about it over dinner?” Justin puts down the toast. “No, I meant just the two of us, then I can listen without interruption.” 


“Even better.” Justin grins, Michael fails to hide that grimace. However, Justin can, and will, destroy him without my help. “Want my tuna?”


“How rude! You just praised Carl’s cooking, why don’t you want it?!” Michael fumes.


“I’m not being rude, I want Brian’s duck, so am offering a trade.”


“Like the first time?” He murmurs, whatever that means it makes Justin blush. “One all.”


We eat in silence, well almost. As well as his sickening chewing I can hear Michael’s thoughts. He alternates filthy looks at Blake and Justin, judging by the look on the former's face, he’s got something he wants to say. So, I’ll give him an in.


“What have you been up to, Blake?”


Twitch-twitch-twitch goes my pesky husband fly.


“This and that, ducking and diving. Going to be helping Justin bring Rage, the Avenger to the Americans.”


All forks pause. Michael is like stone, whilst Brian gapes at Justin. “You did it?”


“Yep, I did it. It’s selling out all over Europe, they love it! And I also did one more thing?”


“What?” He wipes his hands then takes his phone. “You fucker! When?!”


“Take delivery in two weeks.”


“What? What is it?” Debs demands.


“A Mercedes 600 Grosser, my other dream car! Carl, I need a take out box for two! We’re going to discuss this now, young man! I can’t believe you got it first!”


“As if that Corvette isn’t yours!” He laughs as he gets up, there are indulgent smiles, from most quarters, as they fall back into their easy way with each other. In ten minutes, they’re gone, with Brian’s plea to be the first one to drive it, falling on deaf ears.


MICHAEL


It's his! Him of all people! I had heard of Rage, the Avenger, everyone in the comic world has. It coming to America is huge. It hurts to swallow, as I know that I’m going to have to be nice to Justin and Blake in order to get this in my store. It will be commercial suicide if I don’t!


LINDSAY


My head and heart pounds as there’s more than a grain of truth in how I got him destroyed, but his allegedly comments gives me a grain of comfort - just a grain.




Garlic Ginger Shrimp Toasts | What's for Dinner? (whatsfordinner.com)

Seared Ahi Tuna | The Recipe Critic

London Duck & Waffle with foie honey drizzle (eckitchensg.com)

Watermelon sorbet recipe - All recipes UK

Brandy Snap Basket | BBC Good Food

mercedes 600 grosser - Bing images