- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - THE KEY TO CHANGE AND THEIR WINGMEN


DINER - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


I look up and down the street, still no sign. I’m just locking up. Debs and Ems are tidying away the dishes and writing the menu board respectively. 


“Think he’ll have recovered from the shock?” Ems wraps his arms around me, I kiss his  cheek. “Thank you for last weekend, it was great fun.”


“It was, wasn’t it.” I smile. “So when are we going to do it again?”


“I have one on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!” He exclaims, stepping around to join in the checking. “What exactly am I looking for?” I chortle at his cute noisiness, which Michael should learn to cultivate. “So you can do all three?”


“Sure. As for what - there he is!” I hunker down and click my tongue. First he freezes, then chirrups before making his way across and inside. “Meet Cat. Been feeding him for weeks now, missed him yesterday.”


Cat slinks his way to Debs, winding himself around her legs. “Got a good mind not to bother!” She grouses, tickling behind his ears. “I’ll sort him out.” She smiles. Scooping him up, she heads to the kitchen.


“No is the answer to the shock question. He’ll most likely be camped outside the building, waiting for its immediate return.” I scowl at the possessiveness that the brat continues to show over Brian. “I did hear.” Ems kisses his teeth as he locks up. “But what made him say it?” 


“Didn’t Debs tell you what he said about fatherhood to Brian? Oh, actually, does she know what Ben said?”


“No, and not sure. Debs!” I bellow, she comes out carrying Cat. “Before they came to sit, Ben said that Michael had to fix things to and, unlike him, he wasn’t dreaming of fucking Brian before he’s even cold. What needs fixing?” As she tells me what Michael said, my blood boils. “So we're going to take Blake up on it and double up?”


“Of course we are. You know, I should be upset that you take Carl on your dates as a wingman instead of me.” Ems and I exchange looks. “But I would have you married in seconds, he at least gets the vibe off the guy and he’s never steered you wrong, has he?” 


“No, he’s not.” Ems kisses her cheek. “Thank you for not saying anything to anyone about it.”


“As for our date, I would rather double with Rodney and Vic. Or, even better, Brian and Justin!”


I get chills. “I’ll speak to Vic. Leave Brian and Justin to get back together alone.”


“Fine.” She pulls on her coat, we wait. “Dinner Sunday? Like old times.” 


“Not this weekend.” Ems is firm, and when he is, she listens.


“The following weekend then!” She pleads. “I think Brian’s going to be free since the three of them will not be talking babies. Dusty and Lindsay managing to get him so pissed off that he made Mel stay the night is next level.”


“What’s happened? Why does she listen to that wannabe u-hauler?!”


“Because she wants to make her, her pillow princess!” I grumble, they look surprised. “I know the terms and Mel got drunk enough to complain one day.”


“Hmm, I must tell Justin that.” Ems snickers. “Think he will have great fun running cliterference where that is concerned.”


“But he doesn’t like Lindsay for Mel. Nobody with any sense does.” I help him into his jacket, then lead them out back. “Why would he want them to stay together?” I crack the windows so that Cat can get out easily enough, not that he ever does. “Debs can tell you everything. Think he stayed with him?”


“Of course he did.” Debs smiles, then sighs. “I hope this doesn’t lead to another key campaign.”


“This is Michael, of course, it will!” Ems bitches.


MICHAEL AND BEN’S BACK GARDEN


MICHAEL


“You’re smoking. Why?” He asks as he joins me on the deck. I glare at him. “So you’re stressed about what exactly?”


“The weird and hurtful behaviour of my friend and husband.” I retort.


“Which friend is that? Don‘t tell me, Brian’s slipped down to mere mortal status because he took your key away?”


I grind the cigarette out. “He hasn't taken it away, I’ve loaned it. Don’t see why it should’ve been my key and not Ma’s, she could’ve gone and got hers. Why are they staying there, couldn’t they have booked a hotel?!”


“First, it’s his loft, and second, you don’t use it, unless you do and that’s why you're pissed. But third, which should really be first, where’s the fixing?”


BEN


“Fixing? Fixing what? Oh that, well I think we’re even on the butthurt stakes, don’t you?!” Sighing, I look down at my ring, it feels heavier every day. “Well, don’t you?!”


“Butthurt, that’s how you think I’m feeling? Ever since we've been together, I’ve always, always, said I wanted children.”


“You said when the time was right, now is not the right time!”


“Point of order, Mr Chairman, you said you don't want to be a single father. You said that HIV would kill me before the child reaches their teens, if not before then.”


“You said, whilst we’re quoting, that I want to be fucked by Brian, in front of Brian! Did you see his face, hear what he said? He was horrified!”


“You care more about his feelings than mine.” 


He looks to the sky. “How about we both apologise and move on, this is all a huge misunderstanding. You go first..”


“Yeah let’s do that.” I reply, he heads inside presumably to get comfortable, I enjoy his swift halt and turn. “Problem?”


“Why are your cases by the door?!” He sounds nervous, and I feel so great about that.


MICHAEL


“Ben? What’s going on?” He walks past and puts on his jacket.


“I’m going.” He states, searching his pockets.


“Where?! Why?! This is silly! Neither Brian nor I feel this way about each other. Come on!”


“Michael, I’m going to the teacher’s conference, remember?” My heart comes down from my mouth and I almost run to embrace him. “I’m not going to leave you over something like that.”


“Oh thank goodness!” I babble. “A week you said? Okay. Will you call me when you get there? Where is it again?”


“Sure. It’s at Big Sur. Why not spend some time with Brandon? Don't think you two haven’t hung out in a while. He always says how much he loves speaking with you.” Although the very idea fills me with annoyance, I nod. “Are you sure you’re calm and fine now?” 


“Yeah, just with everything I had a flip out.”


“I’ll see you next Saturday, I’ve gotta go. Remember tol text Brandon to let him know you wanna hang out. Okay?”


“Yeah, I will.” We kiss goodbye and I watch him walk up the street, feeling even calmer when he looks back before turning the corner. I flop on the sofa and think about what happened, but we’re fine, like I knew we would be. Just as I reach for the remote a text comes through from Brandon, he's looking forward to catching up. I almost throw my phone across the room. 


“Why the fuck did he text him now?! The last thing I want to do is hang around Brian’s recent trick! It was bad enough hearing them go at it and in our house! But he just has to tell me all about it every fucking time we speak!”


MEL AND LINDSAY'S LOUNGE - TEN MINUTES LATER


MEL


I open the wine Brian insisted I take, and reach for my phone. I reread the text from Ted about the loft. Blake had called Justin after we’d gone, so we missed Michael’s hysterical reaction to Brian’s text telling him to lend them his key. As he did with Lindsay, Carl stood over him until he gave it up. 


“Where’d you get that?” Linsday startles me a bit, not because of her stealth, as she's about as graceful as a horny rhino. It’s because she's finally talking, having been sitting in the kitchen in silence since we got home.


“Brian gave it to me.”


LINDSAY


“He looked well.” I remark as she pours her wine. “Justin, I mean, he looked well.”


“He does.” Her phone beeps, she smiles before putting it face down, and swirling the glass. “Although I should imagine he sorted out his sideburns immediately.” 


“His sideburns? Whatever is wrong with them?” I drawl.


“They were uneven, which is why Brian was staring. Amongst other things. He’s looking better than well. Brian’s not the only view that’s gotten better over time.”


I stiffen. “Are you turning? Should I be worried?” 


“Should I be?” She counters.


“No, of course not! You never have had to worry!”


“Well there’s your answer too.” She leans her head back and closes her eyes. I take that opportunity to check the wine. “It will be interesting to see Justin’s reaction to it.”


“To what?”


She smiles. “The masterpiece you two cocked up. He will ask his opinion on it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was being used for kindling right now.” 


“What will our child have to do with Justin?” I demand.


“Everything. He will be in his or her life as much as Brian is. Not financially, at first, as Brian will try and fight him on that, but, as with everything else, he’ll share the kid.”


“No. This is our child. Yours, mine, and Brian’s. Justin will have nothing to do with it!” 


She reaches for her glass. “Going to put that in writing, are we? If so, please remember my cocked up statement.” Once more, she takes wine out of my reach. “You were on beer, unwise to mix the two.”


“Mel, I don’t like this watchful behaviour you have. I’m an adult and more than capable of monitoring my own consumption.”


“You’ve got to pick up your car, or is Dusty doing that for you? Advise against, because Carl won’t let that happen. He knows you were on Vicodin and wine. Rather foolish for you to be drinking beer in front of him, wasn’t it? I wouldn't be surprised if he made sure you were breathalysed.”


“He overstepped his remit! He's no longer a serving officer.” I snipe, she cuts her eye and scoffs. “Back to Justin being around. I do worry about his undue influence on Brian.”


“He doesn’t have any influence on Brian. Nobody does, despite your assertions and pipe dreams. He said he wants to do it, so he’ll do it. He doesn’t want to with those terms, which he said before he knew Justin was back.”


“Alright I concede. Maybe some of the terms and penalties are a little stiff, but we need to ensure the future of our child.”


“No rights, no money.” She retorts. “And no Dusty. This has nothing to do with her.”


“She’s going to be the child’s godmother, we’re not reneging on that!”


“Reneging is her thing, not mine. However, her responsibilities start when we’re gone, not before the insemination!” She snarls. “Get her, as Carl would say, contained. Justin doesn’t like you and Michael. For Brian’s peace of mind, he has to be kind of nice. Dusty, who he also dislikes, only has you, in her corner. He’s come back to reclaim his man, and woe betide anyone that gets in his way or makes his man unhappy.” 


“What are you trying to say?” I yawn. “In simple terms, I’m going to bed in a second.”


“To paraphrase your Dusty, Brian is the hill that Justin is prepared to die on. It was one of her vows, and look what she’s done since then. I’ll sleep down here, as I am going to watch a movie.” She turns on the TV. “Goodnight.”


MEL


I listen for the bathroom door to shut and grab my phone. Giggling, I send a text to Brian, telling him to get Ted or Blake to wait for a locksmith, then give Michael his key back when he asks. Naturally, he panics when I say that, as Michael having the loft key stopped him from asking for a key to the house. I reassure him once he gets his key back he will be fine. As he knows better than to try and use it when Brian’s not there, ergo, he will never know that the locks have been changed. Their response is a picture of the two of them blowing me kisses in a heart frame!


“You’re welcome boys!” I grin then settle down to the movie.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.