- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - LOFT KEYS AND LOST KEYS


DEBS HOUSE - A WEEK LATER


LOUNGE


DEBS


“Seriously, one more accursed flapping call from him trying to hunt down his best friend, I will make sure the line ends with him!” Ems declares as he enters and puts his phone in the flour tin. “I mean it, as happy as I am that they’re doing what they’re doing, I never realised how much Michael called Brian!”


“What do you mean?” I demand, taking it out of the tin, placing it in a ziploc bag and putting it back.


“Brian isn’t answering his phone.” He starts to take the roaster out and switches the oven on. I frown. “Justin’s cooking dinner, a special meal, remember?” I slap my forehead and put the meatloaf back in the fridge. “Though not sure what, just said to make sure that you had a roaster, and I had - dammit, they're in the car! This is what your son does, can’t wait for Ben to come back! Two minutes!”


I know it’s frustrating for Ems, but I can't help being amused by what’s happened since dinner, which has involved Michael bratting from pillar to post all week, not only because Ted and Blake, especially Blake, been staying in the loft, but also, Brandon, his brother in law from hell decided to stay with him whilst Ben was away. He’s been partying all the hours that God sends - twice he has brought his tricks back. When he complained, Brandon said he cleared it with Ben first! 


The front door is almost kicked open as the brat arrives with an equally sulky looking Lindsay. Mel, however, looks ebullient. “Hey, Debs, how are you doing? I was told to bring this ahead of Brian’s arrival.” She puts a bag from a high end liquor store on the table. 


“You’ve spoken to Brian?!” Lindsay glares, as does Michael. “You never said. You knew we had things to discuss!”


“I spoke to Justin.” She returns. “Need anything doing, Debs?”


“Yes, you can help me with the table.” 


“She’ll be with you in a sec, Ma.” Michael declares before turning his brattiness to Mel. “Is that who you were speaking to when I was over for dinner? Why didn’t you let me speak to him?!”


“Or me?!” Lindsay clamours.


“Why didn’t you ask?” Mel retorts. 


“We didn’t know you were speaking to him. If we’d known, we’d have asked, wouldn’t we, Michael?!”


“Of course, why don’t you think of other people’s wants and needs, Mel?!” 


“You’re so selfish sometimes.” Lindsay gripes.


“Why didn’t you call Justin?” I interject for two reasons: one, to irritate the irritants, and two, to stop Mel from lamping them. “I mean, his number’s not changed, has it, Mel?”


“Nope. Why not do it now, since it’s oh so urgent?”


“We didn’t want to speak to Justin!” Lindsay’s reaching sonic boom level. “We need to speak to Brian?!” 


“What about?” The man of their dreams saunters in, although he is Justin-less, which I noticed they check and look relieved about. “I had family stuff to deal with, so couldn’t talk.”


“Family?” I worry as he’s confided in me that he’s concerned about his nephews. Seems that his parents and sister are having acceptance problems with Peter’s hopes and dreams. “Need me to help?”


“What do you think we’re for, Debs?” Lindsay grouses. “Why didn’t you call us, you shouldn't have had to deal with them alone.”


“He wasn’t alone.” Ben declares as he comes in with Ems. “He had the person he needed.”


“Ben?! Why were you with Brian?!” Michael hectors. “You should’ve called me, I could’ve given another perspective on whatever the problem was. Which was what, Brian?”


Brian stares ahead for a few seconds. “Why would Ben have been with me?”


“I’ve no idea!” Ems scowls. “Obviously, Ben was talking about Justin. And he’s on the phone, in case you were hoping. Oh, sorry, I mean wondering where he is.”


Before they can respond, Justin comes in, well his head does. “You okay, Stud?” Brian smiles and nods. “Good, um, Debs you got a second?” I nod and follow him, passing Blake and Ted on the way, carrying shopping bags.


BEN


He’s conflicted, so conflicted. He wants to find out what’s happened with Brian and what Debs and Justin are talking about. Which to choose, which to choose?! 


“Aren’t you going to say hello?” Brian drawls, checking out the liquor bag. “Ah, perfect. How much do I owe you, Mel?”


“Not a cent. You know what you’re doing to mix them?”


“Hmm, they’re so good!” He grins. “We even managed to do a booze free equivalent, got the T&B stamp of approval.” 


“How can I say hello if you keep talking to other people?” Michael grumbles as he approaches.


“He means to Ben, you know, your husband.” Blake chirrups. “Or would you like me to do that for you, nobody will mind.”


“I mind! You’re so disrespectful and always have been!”


“No need to get into a rage, I was just teasing.” 


MICHAEL


“Oh, haha.” I paste a smile on, whilst getting between him and Ben. “How have you been, babe, was the conference good?”


“It was. How was your week? Busy? Did you open the store much?” 


“I did inventory in the mornings, so opened in the afternoons.” 


“In other words, no.” Brian laughs, others join him, I’m not amongst them. “Is my loft still pristine, Schmidt?”


“Yes, are you going to be there much longer?” I ask just as Ma and Justin come in, with Carl. 


“Absolutely perfect. Unlike some, we're not ones for leaving a mess all over the place.” Blake looks me up and down as he says this. “Do you remember that time, Justin, when Brian made Michael clean up after he stayed? Now how did Brian describe it? Without my fucking permission, like you were setting up fucking home, do you have any fucking idea, how fucking fucked off I am, give me your key, you don’t get it back until we feel you deserve it.”


“Yeah, I remember.” Justin smirks as he puts things down. “You and Lindsay were so supernice, a refreshing change.”


“Lindsay, what did she have to do with this?” Mel frowns, whilst Lindsay goes a bit red.


“I took hers as well.” Brian replies. “He would’ve persuaded her to let him in. She’s folded before.”


“It was just once!” Lindsay protests.


“Which was obviously once too many!” Mel snaps. I glare at Justin for dumping us in it. “Give yours to Brian, Lindsay, just until Blake and Ted move out. You can both have them back after that right, Brian?”


“Absolutely.” Brian smiles. “I promise. You got it back the last time, no problem.” He holds out his hand, we’re both furious as she hands it over. “There you go, Blake, you’ve got a key, so you can come and go as you please without having to rely on Ted.”


LINDSAY


“Right, let’s get this stuff cooked, what is it?” Carl asks, opening boxes. “And get some drinks sorted out to occupy some tongues that need to remain still.”


“Nicely done!” Emmett crows, whilst tying an apron around Justin’s waist. “Make mine a large please!” 


“Let me help you with the drinks, whilst you tell me what’s happening with your family, Brian.” Michael starts to take the drinks out. “What the hell is this? Sake? What is sake?”


“It’s Japanese wine.” Ted answers as he pulls out more bottles. “Who’s on booze free?”


“Where's the beer?” “Me please.” Michael and Ben speak at the same time.


“No beer. Japanese themed food. As for what, chicken wings, duck and watermelon noodle salad and seaweed salad.”


“That sounds too weird!” Michael declares, heading to the fridge. “Ma, do the meatloaf!” He orders, taking it out.


The change in Brian is instant. “Put that back! This is Justin’s day, if you don’t like what’s on offer, go home and eat!” 


“Thanks Stud. So, Michael, what are you gonna do, expand your palette or exit stage left?” All eyes bore into Michael’s bright red, pinched and thin lipped face. He puts it back. “Pity, okay, Brian, Ted, Blake, you’re on drinks. Carl, me and Ems are on food. Debs and Mel are in charge of the remote.”


“The remote? What remote?” I ask although I know what’s coming.


“TV. You and Michael are going to watch. There’s no room for you here.” He replies. With a smile, Debs propels Michael away from Brian, whilst Mel glowers until I follow.


DEBS


It’s been a couple of hours. Mel and I have exchanged many amused looks at the twisting, twitching and fidgeting that those two are doing at the sounds coming from the kitchen. Three times we’ve heard Justin attempt to stop Brian from tasting, twice slaps were administered. Finally, Ben said he would hold the bowl and dared Brian to try and nibble. Michael was frothing when Blake insisted that he taste instead. Him moaning and groaning had Ems asking if Ted had ever made him make that noise. 


“We don’t need to know the answer to that!” Michael grumbles.


“Most definitely not!” Lindsay snipes, before clearing her throat. “Well I don’t know about you all, I’d like another drink. Are we allowed to go and get it? Just asking because it seems to like their decorum, we’ve been forgotten.”


“It’s ready!” Ems calls out. “Come sit, come sit!” As we gather around, the sight and smells are gorgeous. “We have placemats!” Ems trills. I can’t look at him as Carl and I are seated next to each other, everyone is seated by couples, but with Mel next to Brian and Ben next to Justin. “Everyone start! Now, Benjamin, you have to taste to see if you can tell the difference.”


He takes a sip from Ems’s glass, then his, before sipping from Ems’s again. “I can’t. The only way would be in the morning, if you had a shedload I guess.” 


“What do you mean to babe?” Michael’s sycophancy curdles my stomach. 


“His has booze, mine, Ted and Blake’s doesn’t.”


“I know right, T&B approved indeed!” Ems grins. “Now, you are to have these two big bits!” He puts two wings on his plate. “I’ll bet you didn’t have a home cooked meal or you ate expensively.”


“True on both counts. Thanks, Ems.” 


“Emmett, what do you mean, T&B approved?” Michael frowns.


JUSTIN


I hide my smile in my glass as Brian strokes my thigh. He squeezes, and I know it's because he’s so happy. So damn happy that because of Mel, the loft will never be invaded by those two again. And now to twist the knife!


“T&B are Ted and Blake. When we had dinner with them during the week, we had these and made them booze free.” Brian squeeze turns into a grip, however I know what I’m doing. And I’m going to enjoy everything that happens from this point onwards. “And speaking of lofts, here’s the one to mine.” I hand Brian the key, his face says joy, his eyes scream panic!


“You bought a loft?!” Michael’s eyes light up, I can hear the cogs turning in both their brains, they shoot each other sly smiles. “So can your best friends in T&B, move in there then?”


“They can, gonna be a bitch of a commute though.” 


Their smiles and mental creaming pauses. “What do you mean?” Lindsay caws.


“Well, Ted is going to be working alongside Blake and I in bringing Rage the Avenger here, and considering we're renting office space from Kinnetic, it's gonna be a long way to come from Kyoto.”


Slowly Brian turns to me. “Kyoto? As in Japan?” 


“Yep, just in case you needed more persuasion, I bought it.”


“It? What do you mean by Japan? As usual, you’re confusing us!” Michael starts to explode, but a look from Ben kills that right off.


“Is it furnished?” He’s just staring at the key.


“No, thought you could do that.” I grin. It starts to falter when he still doesn’t seem to be reacting quite the way I’d hoped.


“No, not gonna happen.” My heart stops, then flutters as he grins. “We are going to decorate it. When do we fly out?”


“Whenever you book the tickets.” I beam at him, then turn to them. “When Brian and I went to Japan, we stayed in this beautiful lodge. He said that he'd buy a place there, beat him to it.”


“First the car, now this!” Ems laughs. “You is catching him up in the ostentatious stakes, Justy.” He then turns to Ted and Blake. “So, where do you fit in for Rage?”


“I’m the co-writer, and Ted’s our accountant.” Blake grins, it widens at Michael’s expression. “And we have something to show you all.” He gets up and gives each one a package. “It's the next issue. These are the only ones in the US right now!”


MICHAEL


I look around the table, nobody’s opened theirs. I’m dying too, but can’t be too keen. It is quite weighty, all packaging no doubt. I can’t believe that Blake co-writes this, but knowing him the way I do, he’s most likely only doing the little words! 


“Okay, let’s see here.” Emmett declares, opening his. Whilst I’m relieved that he has, I’m so jealous when I see it. “Wow, Justy, this looks incredible! Is this a book, and leather bound?”


“Yes, it comes out bi-monthly. $50 an issue, may seem a lot, but you get everything else, and of course, they’re collectors items.” 


“What else is in there, Ems?” I demand, putting mine on my lap. I can’t wait to get it home and examine it properly. I suppose he does have a good eye and some talent, but, as they say, the devil is in the detail, and the details have been scarce, to say the least, as they don’t put it online, the fools, no business smarts at all!


“Why don’t you open yours and find out?” Carl asks.


“His is already open.” I reply coolly, then nod encouragingly. “Come on, Ems.”


“Michael, why have you put that on your lap?” Ted questions. “It's not for you to keep.”


“I’ll buy it off you. How much did you say it was, $50? Ben! What are you doing?!” I growl as he hands mine back to Justin. 


“Thanks, Ben.” Justin has the nerve to kiss his cheek. “As for what he’s doing, he’s returning something that’s not available in the States at all. We’re very protective of this baby, which leads me neatly onto the fact that we need an attorney. So, Mel, can you help us? Oh, wait, when are we going to Japan?” He looks at Brian, who is slowly flicking the pages, looking, annoyingly, very impressed. “Brian? Japan?”


“Oh, sorry. When there’s a break in your schedules. It will be there when we’re ready. So what do you say, Mel, want to rep for them?”


“When did you two go to Japan, I don’t remember you saying anything about this, do you, Michael?” Lindsay demands. I shake my head whilst glowering at Ben, who looks unbothered. “As for an attorney, Mel’s too close to you three. Let Loretta look at the paperwork.”


“Absolutely not!” Blake exclaims. “Dusty’s cocksucker of an attorney is not getting anywhere near our baby! We want somebody who will respect client attorney confidentiality. She’ll tell Dusty, and Dusty will tell you, then you will tell Michael.”


“None of that would happen!” Lindsay declares. “She’s not like that!” 


“Sunshine?” Brian is staring at a page, he looks at Justin. “Rage looks vaguely familiar, as does JT. Coincidence?”


“Deliberate, I had to pick inspiration from somewhere.” He leans closer. “Page 26 may also look familiar.”


He turns to the page. “Michael’s room Now.”


“What do you mean my room?!” I shout at them as they dash up the stairs. Nobody moves or speaks. It’s when a door slams that I’m spurred into action. “Absolutely fucking not!” I scream leaping out of my seat, but Ben pulls me back down.”What are you doing?!”


“They’re not going to do anything apart from maybe make out a bit!”


“Yeah, Michael, chill. They won’t cross that line!” Blake scoffs.


MICHAEL’S BEDROOM


JUSTIN


“You’re not mad are you?” I search his face, he shakes his head. “I knew he would try and keep it, I just knew it!”


“But at least he offered to buy it, as opposed to just sneaking it away.”


“Only because people were around him!” I fume. 


“Sunshine.” Him pulling me close immediately calms me down. “So what were you talking to Debs about?” I start to grin, he sighs, then chuckles. “Ah, you were poking his nosey bear?” I nuzzle his throat. “Want to send him insane?” I raise an eyebrow. “His bed squeaks.”






Seaweed Salad Recipe - Japan Centre

Tebasaki Recipe - Japanese Fried Chicken (norecipes.com)

Duck & watermelon noodle salad recipe | BBC Good Food

Soul reviver cocktail recipe | BBC Good Food 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thx