- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 9 - THE SOUTHERN RESCUER

 

THE DINER - A MONTH LATER

 

DEBS

 

Vic and Rodney are making up the lunchbox to take to the hospital. I rub my eyes, cursing as my ring scratches my cheek again. "Sis, you need to rest!" Vic takes my hand and removes the ring.

 

"I'll quit when they do!" I declare.

 

"There's a difference between resting and quitting. You'll be resting!" A woman's voice calls from the door. She puts two cases down and looks around, smiling. "This has good bones." She strides up to Cat and tickles him under his chin. 

 

Shucking off her coat, she folds it neatly over a booth and approaches. "I'll take over now." She smiles at Vic. Before I can protest, my shoulders are gripped, and I'm propelled into a booth.

 

"Debs, we've got to go!" Brian yells from the door. He looks thin and shattered, his sole focus is his nephews. They're due to be finally taken off sedation today, it's been reduced week by week. "Oh, sorry, didn't realise you had a customer."

 

"Not a customer." The woman states, her eyes filling. "Oh, my sweet boy, how can you expect to be strong for them when you're so weak yourself?"

 

For a second, Brian looks confused. As he starts to crumble, she's by his side in seconds, scooping him into a booth. Silently, she rocks him.

 

"What's the hold-up?" Justin croaks. He's got strep throat, however, won't leave Brian to face it alone. "Brian!" He cries, rushing to them, but stumbles. Once righted, he tries to pull her off, she pushes him easily away. "Who are you and what have you done?!" 

 

"Aunt Lula?!" Emmett exclaims from the hatch. He was helping Carl with anything and everything, as he needed to keep himself occupied. "When the hell?!"

 

"What did you expect me to do? Stay away whilst these folks are suffering?! Blue case has the herbs for the tea, get that started. Who's at the hospital now? Justin, who's there now?" 

 

"Uh, Mel and Ben." He sinks into the seat. "Sorry for that." He gestures at her rumpled sleeve. "Wish the circumstances had been better." When she reaches across and squeezes his chin, he starts to cry. 

 

"Emmett! Tea!" She barks, spurring him into action. "Debs, you're on Justin, let's heal our boys." 

 

TWO HOURS LATER

 

VIC

 

Carl has taken Ems, Debs, Brian, and Justin to his to rest. Lula got them to eat some scrambled eggs and whipped up a tincture for Justin's throat. 

 

"What a holy hell of a mess." She mutters, investigating the food we'd managed to put together. "This will never do, no, nope, no. Where's the nearest butcher, seafood shop, and phone store?" 

 

"I can take you." I wearily get to my feet.

 

"If I wanted to be took, I'd have said that. Where are they?"

 

"All three are on the same block, two down on the right." 

 

"Thank you. Now lock up, don't let anyone else in but me. There a bag I can use back there for supplies?" 

 

I nod, and despite her protests, take her where she wants to be.

 

CARL'S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

FRONT ROOM

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

I couldn't persuade them to use a bed, so they're dozing on the double Barcalounger, with strict instructions to be woken in an hour. With Mel and Ben's backing, I'm risking their wrath by letting them sleep. Debs is upstairs with Ems; he's recovering from the shock of Lula's arrival. The buzz of a phone gets my attention, it's Brian's - Michael's trying to get through to him again. He's not blocked them as they will just bother everyone else. I head to the kitchen and put it on speaker.

 

"Brian, it's Mikey and Lindz! Don't hang up! We're trying to say how sorry we are!" 

 

"Yes, Brian, you've got to accept it, we feel terrible!" Lindsay weeps. "So very terrible about what you're going through." She pauses to snivel, whilst he mutters his usual soothing bullshit. "Are you going to accept our apologies?"

 

"Is that all you've got to offer?" I growl.

 

"Carl?! Why are you answering Brian's phone? What's happened now?!"

 

"They're resting. Call back at the weekend!" I hate that he can't turn it off. Yes, the hospital has Justin's number too, but they will fill up his inbox instead, and he doesn't want to risk that. 

 

I jump slightly as a chin rests on my shoulder. I pat his cheek and accept a kiss on mine. "You want some more tea? Lula sent us with a flask."

 

"Please. And that's an urn. She's so tiny, how did she carry it?" Brian stretches and yawns. "Anyone else called?" I shake my head. "Did I say thanks for everything you're doing?"

 

"You don't need to," I point out. "Do one for Justin?" 

 

"Hmm, and the tincture thing, know where that is?"

 

"I do. Go sit back down," Ems orders as he enters with a comforter. "Debs is also awake. You two go cuddle for a bit." 

 

"Don't suppose you'd do some scrambled eggs too?" Justin croaks, I pull out the bowl. "Come on, Stud, let's go snuggle."

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - EARLY EVENING

 

JOHN AND PETER'S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

Justin's feeling very guilty. Despite Aunt Lula's efforts, he's back in bed with a headache. I had to threaten him with a spanking - half sunshine smile as a result - to get him to leave. He's been fussed over by Debs and Ems. We're so grateful that Carl insisted on us staying at his. Those two have gone to our house every day - sometimes more than once. When we go back home, I'm going to get security!

 

"Hey, boys," I call quietly, checking them over. They look so peaceful.

 

They're off the sedation, now it's the waiting game. Ben said that they were stirring earlier, but since then, nothing. 

 

"You're in the hospital. Please wake up so I can tell you everything. You will never be hurt by them again."

 

I turn as the door opens and smile at another person that I'm grateful for, Dr. Alex Winter. He's been astonishing, going above and beyond with Peter and John. Okay, it helps that his dad is the head of the hospital, but he still didn't have to do half the things he has.

 

"Here's the name of the therapist I promised you," he whispers. I move to the side so he can examine them, he smiles and nods. "Excellent, excellent. They should be fully awake by tomorrow morning, keep talking to them."

 

"When, when do I tell them about it?"

 

He sighs and beckons me to the door. "Straight away. Yes, it will be a shock, but that will most likely be mixed with relief."

 

"It's bad that I'm angry, isn't it?" I scrub my face.

 

"No, that's normal." He pauses. "They escaped justice and it's not fair to the boys or you."

 

"I don't matter," I assert.

 

"Yes, you do, Uncle Brian."

 

"John!" I gasp dashing to his side. "I'm so happy you're awake!"

 

"Peter?" He whispers. "Is he okay?"

 

"Yes," I sob. "You're both going to be fine. He's still asleep."

 

"I'm not." His voice is hoarse, I stretch to touch his face. "You said they'd never hurt us again. Do you mean it?"

 

"I promise you," I choke out, Alex gets me into a chair, then moves John's bed closer. 

 

"My hands? What happened to them?" Peter sniffs. 

 

"Tell us the truth, please," John rasps.

 

"They broke them. They're still in the casts, but lighter, so the bones are healing. Same for your ribs. However, you can hardly see the bruises anymore. And John, you, you had a hairline skull fracture, also broken ribs, a broken nose, cuts, and bruises." 

 

"Where are they? Jail?"

 

"Wait, before you answer, I want to get in with Peter," John declares. "Will you help me, please?"

 

"Let me get a couple of nurses," Alex states.

 

"And I'll get Justin on the line." I pause when John smirks slightly. "What?"

 

"He's back?" I nod, amazed that he remembers him. 

 

"It takes two calls to get through. He sounds better. "They're awake." 

 

"I'm just pulling in now!" He exclaims. 

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

"Dead? All of them?" Peter repeats, I nod. "I'm glad, I'm so glad! I don't care if God strikes me down now, I'm glad!"

 

"I hope they suffered!" I state.

 

"I do too," Justin nods, helping Peter with his water whilst I feed John ice chips. He's always loved the sound it makes. "They were cowardly bullies, running away when the car crashed."

 

"Where are they now?" Peter tenses up. "Do we have to bury them and stuff like that?"

 

"I didn't claim them. That part of the Kinney line ended in a ball of flame. We start anew with us."

 

"Good." Peter yawns. "Will you stay with us till we sleep?" I nod, helping John back into bed.

 

"Can you stand, do you think, Peter? Or sit on Uncle Brian?"

 

"Yes, I can, but why?"

 

Justin sighs. "When I got." He pauses then clears his throat. "When I was bashed, whilst in hospital, I was alone. You have each other. If you want, I can get someone to put the beds together, so it's like a double. What do you think?"

 

"That would be great! Thank you, Uncle Justin." 

 

He grins before kissing the top of John's head. "I won't be long."

 

As the door closes behind him, John looks fiercely at me. "Promise me something?"

 

"Anything."

 

"Please don't be a dick and let him go again?"

 

"I promise."

 

THE DINER, TWO DAYS LATER

 

LULA

 

They're much more rested. Still too skinny, the pair of them, but between Debs and I, we'll get them fattened up. As Carl closed it down for customers, the diner has become the central place for everyone to meet. There have been well-wishers dropping things off for the boys, both big and small. Not sure what some folks were thinking with the butt plugs, but big city folks seek comfort in their own ways, I guess.

 

I look down at a chirruping Cat. "Now you know it's not time yet, you have five minutes." I hook my foot under his belly and hoist him towards his basket. He settles with an aggrieved look. "Any sulking, no salmon." He blinks twice. "As I thought."

 

I check the roasts again. "Any samples going?" I put down two ribs for Mel, she leans against the counter to eat. "Where'd you get lamb ribs from? And did I smell wings?" 

 

"I've set up an account, so if you need something, tell me, and you did. Finish those first. What time are they coming?"

 

"In about five minutes." She eats quietly, I wait for her to get her mind together. "I can't fathom their behaviour."

 

"Why should you have to? That's for them to work out. You just need to show them the consequences of said behaviour. Don't argue with fools, some folks won't be able to tell which is which, just say your piece and move on."

 

"Easier said than done." She sighs.

 

"And that's what narcy fools like them rely on, a misplaced sense of loyalty, love, whatever, they use that against people."

 

"Brian, finally!" She grimaces at the bellowing and my blood boils.

 

"And now's the time to do this." I declare. "Let's go."

 

MICHAEL

 

It goes quiet as Lindsay and I approach. "How's everyone doing?"

 

"Strike one!" Uncle Vic snaps. He and Ma flank Brian, Ben, and Emmett. They are on either side of them. Carl smiles as Mel sits opposite him. Seems our firing squad is ready, but we'll show them that they're firing blanks!

 

"I meant the boys too, of course, I did." Although I'm speaking calmly, I'm still livid with him and Ben over that punch. "Have they been discharged?"

 

"Discharged?!" Ma scowls. "Do you think he'd be here if they had been?"

 

"Where's the cause of their hospitalisation? Run away again, has he?" Lindsay looks angrily at Ben. "Along with two of the other three storytellers?" 

 

"The causes are in front of me. Their Uncles Justin, Blake, and Ted, who aren't liars, are at the hospital. Justin, especially, didn't want to see you two. I'm only here because you need to listen to me."

 

"Brian, whilst we do share some portion of the blame," Lindsay explains, "the fact remains their lies brought us there. We made a mistake, a big one, but simply a mistake."

 

"How many times over the weeks did you practice that?" Mel glares.

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" Lindsay growls.

 

"This." Mel gestures at us. "Is all Loretta. She trots out that old rhetoric at least every six or seven cases. And where's the fourth Musketeer? Waiting to mop up your tears with her bra or panties?"

 

"Mel!" I cringe. "That was uncalled for!" 

 

"I'm neither stupid nor blind," she retorts. "Now shut your shitholes and listen to what Brian has to say!"

 

BRIAN

 

I sip my coffee, enjoying their astonished silence, before the acid-reflex of their sulk sets in. I enjoy his scowl when Debs squeezes my hand and nods encouragingly. It deepens when Vic nudges me to proceed.

 

"Not a mistake, a choice. Which, right now, I can't forgive you for."

 

"Brian, come on, he's made more mistakes than us, but you've forgiven him."

 

"Leave Justin out of this, Michael! He's done nothing wrong! You two let your jealousy of him cloud what little vision you have for me!" 

 

"Breathe Brian, take your time, you need to be calm," Ben instructs and at that moment I really hate Michael!

 

"Thanks, you're right." There's silence as I get myself calmer, although Michael is desperate to speak, Lindsay's grip stops him. "So, you can focus on saving your relationships, Justin and Blake are the owners and sole creators of Rage the Avenger. I had missed calls from you both, why not leave a message?"

 

Lindsay sighs, her expression condescending. "Brian, that is not true, and we can prove it."

 

"Horse apples and bullcrap!" Aunt Lula barks. They look startled by her presence. "Apologies, continue your pissiness."

 

Michael stops glaring at Ben and turns to Aunt Lula. "And you are who?" 

 

"A person you don't want to cross. Now finish up, I've got mouths to feed."

 

He scowls before setting his face to punchable, so very punchable. "We didn't leave messages in case he'd delete them, he's done it before. Remember?" 

 

"No, he didn't," Ben interjects with a smirk. "I've been waiting for you to bring that up." He puts his phone on the table and goes to his voicemail. "Listen." He orders and presses play, Michael's voice blasts out with Lindsay in the background. "Isn't that the message you vociferously claimed that Justin deleted before he left?" Michael is grinding his jaw whilst Lindsay looks murderous. "He asked at the time if you had called me by accident: I would not have made that mistake. I know the difference between my best friend's name and my boyfriend's; that's you, word for word. I've just sent you a screenshot of the voicemail screen, take a look at when it came?" 

 

MEL

 

When he doesn't go to check his phone, Vic bangs the table. "Check!" Still, he makes no move. "Or I will do it for you!"

 

He hurries to obey; the realisation makes him go florid. "Why didn't you tell me?! I would've apologised if I'd known!"

 

"No, you wouldn't!" Ems blasts. "And Ben found that message a couple of weeks back. I was there, so before you spout another bullshitting conspiracy theory because Justin's his friend!"

 

"Where are their letters?!" I fume. "You need to add that to Justin's and write one to Brian." I gesture for them, they go redder. "Of course! You've torn them up, haven't you, Lindsay?!"

 

"We don't want them anyway," Justin states from the door, he looks angrier than he did at the hospital. "Sorry, Stud, I had to pull over to calm down."

 

"I heard." He smirks.

 

"Pull over?" Ems questions. His frown melts into a smile as Brian places his phone on the table. "Ah, nice, he got to hear everything!"

 

"Indeed. Can you let him in, please?" Brian asks. Most of us smile as Justin sits and they kiss. "I'm sorry again about the voicemail, Sunshine."

 

"Thank you. Now you need to say something else." 

 

"Yes, I do." They kiss again, then he turns to them. "I love Justin. If you want to remain in my life, accept that he will come first, or fuck off."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.