- Text Size +

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

February-March 2025

 

Max Jacobs ushered the boys to a table toward the back of the pub.  A waitress came over with menus.  Max ordered three ales then excused himself to go to the restroom.  The boys were a bit flustered, unsure what they should do next.  Gus wasn’t convinced that Max knew his dad, let alone that they were friends.

 

“Switch phones with me,” Gus said quickly as he looked around the pub for Max.

 

“What?” Ray asked as Gus put his own phone into Ray’s hands.  He then put Ray’s phone on vibrate and left it on the table close to his hand.  “What are we doing?”

 

“Put my phone on silent.  Shit, hurry, he’s coming back.  Send an SOS group text to Kinnetik,” Gus instructed.  “Tell them that we’ve been cornered by Max and we don’t know who he is or what to do.  Someone should respond.”

 

“Yeah, let’s hope it’s your dad,” Ray mumbled as he did what he was told.

 

Max Jacobs took his time as he sauntered back to the table.  He was a good looking man and he enjoyed the admiring glances tossed his way by both sexes.  He used his looks to his advantage and was hoping the younger Kinney and his attractive companion would fall under his spell.

 

“Listen, I don’t trust this guy.  If he was anyone important to my dad or to Kinnetik I would’ve been told.  Just play it cool.  I’ll keep his focus on me while you let whoever answers know what’s going on,” Gus said as he put his innocent kid face on.  Under the table he took Ray’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.  Ray squeezed back as he nodded.  Ray took a deep breath as he prepared to follow Gus’ lead.

 

“Well boys, I’m famished.  Have you decided what you’d like for supper?” Max asked boldly.  The boys were hunched over a menu seemingly studying it.

 

“Shepherd’s pie,” Gus said.

 

“Bangers and mash,” Ray added.

 

“Great choices, lads.”  He waved over the waitress to give their orders.  “Well now, I usually don’t mind combining business with pleasure; however, sitting with you fine looking young men, I’d much prefer having a work-free supper.  Wouldn’t you?” Max asked.  He gave the boys a smile then took a good chug of his ale. 

 

Not knowing what to say, the boys each took a small sip of their ale as well.

 

“I’m no expert on young men but you two seem a little quiet to me.  It wasn’t too long ago that I was your age.  I’m also proud to say that I am the youngest successful adman in the business to own a multi-million dollar company,” Max said smugly, so very sure of himself.

 

“You mean in the UK,” Gus finally spoke up.  “And you’re what, forty something?  My dad had you beat by almost ten years.”  That got a reaction, Gus noted, a subtle reaction but Gus knew he had got it right.  But he wished he knew more about Max Jacobs.

 

As the waitress put their plates on the table, Max downed the rest of his ale then signaled for another.  He poked at his dinner for a few minutes then when the waitress brought him a fresh drink, Max downed that glass too.  In a little while nature took its course.  “I’ll be back soon.”

 

“You may want to get that checked out,” Gus mumbled when Max was out of earshot.  Ray giggled then quickly checked Gus’ phone.

 

“Ted and Cynthia said to leave.  Scott says to punch his lights out.”

 

“Scott?  Calm, unflappable Scott?  What else?”

 

“Stacy said to knee him in the balls.  He came to New York and contacted her under false pretences then he hit on to her and almost didn’t take no for an answer.”

 

“Fucking bastard,” Gus cursed.  “Anything from my dad yet?”  Gus scanned the pub toward the restrooms.

 

“Not yet.  Joseph sent a Wiki link about Max, and Shane says we should get our arses outta here fast.  That's a quote by the way.”

 

“Shit, he’s coming back.  I wish my dad would hurry.  And check out that link.”

 

“Wait.  Your dad just texted; he says to play it cool.” 

 

Gus grumbled, “Duh.” 

 

“He also says that we should learn whatever we can then call him later.” 

 

“You miss me boys?”  Max grinned as he sat back down.  Whatever momentary slip Max may have had in his confidence was gone.  Max was as smug as ever.

 

“Mr. Jacobs,” Gus began.

 

“Call me Max,” Max insisted.

 

“Max,” Gus, pretending to be nice, addressed his new best friend.  “It’s been very nice to meet you but what can I do for you?”  Gus got a kick under the table.  “Ow!”  Gus glared at Ray.  Ray smiled back sweetly.  “What can we do for you?”

 

*****

 

“That fucking bastard,” Brian cursed as he sprinted into Kinnetik and straight into his office.

 

“Boss.”

 

“Brian.”

 

He was greeted by Ted and Cynthia as he waved his cell phone at them.  “Book me on the next flight out of here,” Brian demanded.  “I want to know what that fucking shit wants with my son!” Brian shouted.

 

“Brian, wait,” Cynthia cried out.  “You can’t just drop everything and fly to London,” she tried to calmly explain.

 

“And why the fuck not?” Brian growled as he booted up his computer so that he could book his own flight.

 

“First of all, you’re supposed to be planning your wedding.  Second, Gus is not a child, nor is Ray.  If they can keep it together and gain his trust, we might be able to beat Max at his own game.”

 

“Yeah, whatever that is,” Ted interjected.

 

“I should be there,” Brian said.  Ted and Cynthia could hear the worry in Brian’s voice.  He was feeling helpless.  Brian fucking Kinney did not like feeling helpless.

 

*****

 

A waitress cleared the table then brought fresh ale.  Max sat back to take a good look at the boys.  He figured they were a couple but assuming the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, Max was confident he could get close to Gus.  Maybe even close enough to get Gus into bed.  The pillow talk alone would be of great value especially if Max could get Gus to reveal some Kinnetik secrets. 

 

Max began to hatch a plan.

 

*****

 

“Are you sure I can’t offer you boys a ride to your hotel?  It would be no trouble.”  Max smiled at the boys as he got into a cab.  Ray hid a grimace.  Max’s smile was more of a leer and in Ray’s estimation, the leer was directed toward Gus.  Ray instinctively moved closer to his boyfriend.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Jacobs, for dinner,” Gus began.

 

“Max, please.  We’re friends now, aren’t we?” Max said as he extended his hand toward Gus through the cab window.  Gus politely took it.  As they shook hands, Max gently swiped his thumb across the top of Gus’ hand.  Max’s intentions were fairly clear.  “Give me a call in a few days.  I’ll arrange for a proper night out befitting you fine young lads.”

 

Gus slowly batted his eyelashes at Max; a very successful maneuver he learned from Justin.  When Brian was the recipient of those eyelashes a certain response was usually evident.  Along with a coy smile, Gus' gesture attained a similar response from Max.  Max cleared his throat and shifted in his seat.

 

“Good night, Mr. Jacobs,” Ray stated emphatically as he pulled Gus back.  The boys watched the cab pull away before heading toward their hotel.  “What the fuck are you doing?” Ray growled at Gus.

 

Before answering, Gus moved them both into the shadows of two buildings.  He leaned Ray against the bricks then kissed him soundly.  They were both a bit breathless when Gus released Ray. 

 

“Your lips should be registered as lethal weapons,” Ray murmured against the lethal weapons.  “Please tell me you know what you’re doing?”

 

Gus pulled them out of the shadows and they hurried back to their hotel.  They went directly to their room where they proceeded to strip each other the moment they slammed the door shut.  Clothing was flung everywhere until they reached the bed naked and hard with need.  After several rounds of very hot sex and lovemaking, Gus rolled off Ray to lay beside him.

 

“You should call your dad; he’s probably freaking out,” Ray said reasonably.  He checked the bedside clock.  “It’s not too late.”

 

“He won’t care what time I call,” Gus replied.  He hesitated as he reached for his phone.

 

“What’s wrong?” Ray asked as he rolled over toward Gus.

 

“I think I know what to do but...”

 

“But what?”

 

“My dad told me a story, something he did or was about to do a long time ago to win a client,” Gus said with a sigh.

 

“Was it bad?” Ray softly asked.  He wrapped his arms around his boyfriend.  Gus hugged Ray’s arm close to his chest.

 

“A potential client, a big one, implied that he would sign on with Ryder if my dad spent some time alone with him in his hotel room.  It was a very big client and...”

 

“Your dad wanted the contract,” Ray supplied.

 

“But the guy got a phone call from home; his kid broke an arm or a leg or something.  Dad convinced the guy that his place was at home with his kid.  So the guy packed up and left before anything could happen.”

 

“So your dad never went through with whatever he planned?”

 

“No.  He told me that to this day he really doesn’t know what he would have done if that phone call hadn't happened.  I’d like to think he wouldn’t have slept with a client just to get his business, but my dad did have a reputation back then.”

 

“And you think Max believes that Gus Kinney not only looks a lot like Brian Kinney, he behaves like him too.”  Gus stared at Ray.  “What?  I’m a lawyer, I’ve been trained to observe and research facts.  Speaking of facts, while you were flirting with the enemy, I scanned that link Joseph sent us.  Max Jacobs is ruthless.  He’s made his millions but not by being a great adman like your dad.  He does it by buying out small firms then reorganizing them to his supposed winning formula.”

 

“But you have another theory.”

 

“Yeah, it’s like flipping houses.  He buys out a firm that may be somewhat successful.  Then he brings in his own people, has one or two big campaigns then he sells the business at double or triple the amount he originally bought it for.  He looks like he turned a so-so business into a highly successful and desirable one.  I bet the people he brings in eventually leave the firm when Max moves on to his next one.  Shane could probably confirm some of this.” 

 

Gus agreed.  “He’s been in the business in London for several years.  There’s just so many admen around.  We tend to know the good ones.”

 

“Lawyers have a similar community.  So what do we do?”

 

“Call the best adman we know,” Gus said as he picked up his phone and hit speed dial number two.

 

“Two?” Ray asked.

 

“You’re number one,” Gus said before his call was answered.  Ray gave Gus a beatific smile.

 

“Pop!”  Gus began to tell his dad what happened with Max Jacobs and Ray’s theories about Max’s apparent success.

 

*****

    

Justin opened the oven and looked at the roast that was cooking there.  He added the potatoes and put the lid back on the roast.  Dinner would be ready in a little under an hour.  He heaved a weary sigh before walking across the sun porch and into Bobby and John's side of the conjoined cottages.

 

"Hey," John said as he heard Justin enter their kitchen.

 

"Hey," Justin responded.

 

"Something smells good from your side," John said.

 

"Dinner will be ready in about an hour."

 

"Bobby should be home at any minute now."

 

Justin nodded and was about to turn and go back to his own home.  "John," he said before taking that first step.  "Has he said anything to you?"

 

John shook his head, knowing exactly who Justin was referring to.  "I wish he would, but he..."

 

"Isn't talking to anybody," Justin supplied.

 

John nodded slowly.  "He's really trying to deal with some stuff that should have been dealt with a long time ago."

 

"I know, but when he gets silent like this, it's very hard.  If he comes to you..."

 

"I'll do whatever I can."

 

"Thanks, John."

 

"Try not to worry."

 

"I'm trying," Justin sighed.  "Is Bree in Patrick's room?

 

"No, she went outside a while ago.  I think Beau went with her."

 

"I wonder where she is," Justin said with a frown.

 

"I think they headed down the path to the stream," John said.  "Beau will make sure nothing happens to her."

 

"Beau's great, but lately she's been almost as quiet as her father.  I better go find her."

 

"Want me to come with you?"

 

"I better tackle this on my own," Justin informed him.

 

"Good luck."

 

"Thanks," Justin said.  He went into the sun porch and grabbed a coat before heading outside to find his daughter.

 

As he walked down the path towards the stream, Justin tried to formulate what he was going to say to his daughter.  He knew Bree was worried about what was going on with Brian.  His long absences in Pittsburgh were not like him, and Bree was nothing if not perceptive.  When she had asked why her Dada was away so much, both of them had tried to ease her fears about what was happening, without really telling her anything.  Brian said that he was very busy with Kinnetik and it was just easier to stay overnight at the loft.  Justin was well aware that this explanation didn't really cut it.  Bree had grown increasingly quiet and withdrawn the last few weeks.  Maybe it was time to come clean.  The big problem was that Justin didn't really know how to explain the situation.

 

"Bree," Justin called as he came into the clearing near the stream.  He didn't want to scare his daughter, so by calling out he would give her warning of his approach.

 

"I'm here," a little voice said.

 

Justin saw her sitting atop the big rock, the favorite thinking spot of most of the inhabitants of the lane.  Beau lay at the base of the rock, waiting patiently for his young charge to return to the cottage.  Beau raised his head and looked at Justin as he approached.

 

"May I join you?" Justin asked.  Bree shrugged her shoulders.  "I'll take that as a yes."  He hauled his butt up onto the rock next to his daughter.  "Isn't it kind of cold out here?"

 

"I've got my coat on," Bree replied, like that explained everything.

 

"That you do," Justin chuckled.  There was a long pause before Justin asked, "Why are you sitting out here, Bree?"

 

Bree shrugged her shoulders again.  "I don't know.  I just felt like it."

 

"You only come here when you want to think or you're feeling sad.  My guess would be the latter."  Bree did not answer and Justin waited patiently.  "Am I right?" he finally said.

 

Bree shrugged once again.  They sat in silence for a few minutes.  When Justin was about to give up and insist that Bree come in from the cold, she decided to speak.

 

"Why won't Dada come home?" she asked.

 

"He comes home when he can," Justin said carefully.

 

"Doesn't he love us anymore?"

 

"Oh Bree, don't say that.  Your Dada and I will always love you.  Nothing will change that - ever."

 

Bree studied her father's face.  "That's what parents say when they're going to get a divorce," she informed her father.  "Are you and Dada getting a divorce?  I need to know."

 

"No, we're not getting a divorce," Justin said forcefully.  How had Bree come to that conclusion?  He wanted Bree to stop thinking like that.

 

"Then what's going on?  And I know it's not business.  Dada never stayed away like this for business before."

 

Justin drew in a long breath.  He wished Brian was there to explain himself, but Brian wasn't there.  It was up to him.  "Sweetheart, your father has been seeing a psychiatrist.  He has some issues that he's trying to sort out."

 

"Issues?"  Bree frowned, and Justin could see the worry in her eyes.

 

"Yes, some issues."

 

"But not issues about leaving us?" she asked with tears forming in her eyes.

 

"No, not about leaving us."

 

"Then what?" Bree asked, her voice coming out in a gulp as she fought back the tears.

 

"Are you sure you want me to try to explain this?" Justin asked, hesitant to get into all the intricacies of what was going on with Brian.

 

"I'm not a baby, Daddy.  Tell me."

 

"Okay, I'll try."  Justin tried to think of the best way to explain this to his daughter.  Slowly he began, "You loved your Grandma Joan a lot, didn't you?"

 

"Yes," Bree whispered.  She frowned trying to decipher what this had to do with why her Dada was in Pittsburgh.

 

"Well, your father didn't always have a good relationship with his parents.  He ... he always felt he wasn't what they wanted him to be - that he wasn't good enough."

 

"But...  My Dada's the best, the very best man.  He's great at everything he does.  Why wouldn't he be good enough?"

 

Justin wracked his brain for the appropriate explanation.  "You remember when Ashley was picked on by the bullies?"

 

"That was a long time ago."

 

"But she was so sad and hurt by those bullies."

 

"I kicked their asses and they don't do that anymore."

 

"Well, your Dada couldn't kick his parents' asses.  He suffered for a long time with what they said to him.  He's trying to come to grips with it now."

 

"Why now?"

 

Justin sighed.  "Your Dada asked me to marry him at New Year's and I ... hesitated."

 

"Why did you hesitate?  You love Dada."

 

"Yes, I do.  I love him and I love our life.  I didn't see why getting married was necessary.  I love things the way they are ... were.  I hurt your Dada by not answering yes right away."

 

"And that brought back his old feelings about not being good enough.  He didn't think he was good enough for you?"

 

Justin's mouth dropped open.  "That's it exactly.  You are so smart, sweetheart."  He pulled Bree into a fierce hug.

 

They clung to each other for a couple of minutes in silence.

 

"How will the psychiatrist help Dada?" Bree asked.

 

"They talk through things and try to resolve them."

 

"That must be hard for Dada, the talking," Bree observed.

 

"You're right about that, but I think he really needs to do this."

 

"And then he'll be our old Dada when he comes home for good?"

 

"Exactly, but don't call him our 'old' Dada.  You know how he feels about that word," Justin said.

 

Bree giggled.  That was the best sound Justin had heard in a long time.  Maybe the truth did set you free, he thought.

 

"He should talk to the psychiatrist about why that word is so bad for him."

 

Justin laughed out loud at his precocious daughter.  "I'll be sure to tell him that.  Let's go home.  My butt is frozen,"

 

"Mine too," Bree agreed as her father helped her down from the rock.

 

Hand in hand they walked back to the cottages with Beau following behind.