- Text Size +

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 2


 


 


 


Peter had several days off.  John and Gordon had flown to New York City for a few days to consult and perhaps woo a few new clients.  Patrick was in between games but some of his baseball team buddies liked to hang out on the lane where they could practice and then take a dip in the stream when it got too hot.  Even with the “Meadow Cottage” there was still plenty of wide open space for a makeshift baseball diamond.  And Bobby made sure there was enough good quality equipment to go around.


Brian and Justin drove Gus, Ray, and Bree into Pittsburgh.  The three youngest members of the Kinnetik dynasty were holding a series of joint meetings with their clients.  Molly and “Nina” had a wonderful time picking clothes out of Bree’s closet to create new outfits appropriate for Bree in businesswoman mode.


Brian, Justin, and Bree were planning to stay at the Plaza while Gus and Ray would stay at the loft.


“What’s up, Honey?” Debbie asked Peter.  Peter was sitting in an over-stuffed chair that was in a sunny corner in the living room of the thatched cottage.  The chair faced the lane so he had watched several carloads of boys driven up by parents and then empty cars driven past a few minutes later.


He shrugged his shoulders at Debbie’s question.


“You do know you can join them.”  Peter shrugged again.  “Why not?”


“I don’t know much about playing baseball,” he mumbled.  “I like watching but…”


“I bet Patrick would teach you,” Debbie said.  As she did, Peter slightly turned away and then she noticed his ears turning pink.  “Huh,” Deb murmured.  Debbie walked away to find her husband who was doing a little yardwork.


“Looking good, my hunk-o-man,” she said as she gave Carl a loud kiss to this cheek.  He laughed and kissed her back.


“What’s up, Babe?”


“I’m going to give Claire a call.  She told me that there’s a nice PFLAG chapter in Bridgeton.  I think Peter needs to be around some of his own kind, if you know what I mean.”  Debbie rolled her eyes as she made a face.


“Do you know how weird that sounds?  We’re living on the gayest plot of land in Pennsylvania and the poor kid has to travel an hour to be with his own kind?” Carl remarked.


“I know but I think he’s developing a crush on Patrick.”


“Patrick’s straight, right?” Carl asked.


“Very.  There is Gus and Ray but they’re not teenagers.  Besides when they’re not working, they’re…”


“TMI!” Carl said, holding up his hand to ward off any graphic explanations.  “I get enough of that from Brian and Justin.  Sheesh.  You figured they’d be worn out by now,” Carl said as he shook his head.  Debbie just cackled.


“Never enough,” she said, quoting Brian.  “With John and Gordon away, Peter’s getting a little bored.  Having him spend a few afternoons at PFLAG is a good thing.”


“You’re right, it is.  You want me to drive you?  When you call Claire, find out if Steve is free.  You ladies can go to the center with Peter and I can keep Steve company.”


“Good idea.  You go wash up and I’ll make the call.”


Within thirty minutes Debbie, Carl and Peter were heading out of the gate and towards Bridgeton.


 


*****


 


Glen had just finished his therapy session with Craig.  Craig was making good progress.  Both Glen and Alex were anticipating that Craig would be off the lane by the end of July barring any setbacks.  They had narrowly avoided one.  Craig decided that sitting in his special chair made him feel like a baby in a highchair so he tried sitting in a regular chair and nearly dislocated his new hip.  Between Glen’s massage therapy and some excellent prescriptions written by Dr. Alex, Craig made up any ground he might have lost.


He also learned a valuable lesson.  Use the chair!


“Good morning,” Seth cheerfully greeted Craig when the two men met in the kitchen.  Seth had come in from the garden holding two empty pitchers.  He was about to refill one with ice water and the other with iced tea to take back outside.


Craig mumbled something as he too was looking for something cool to drink.  Therapy was thirsty business.


“I see your wife has you trained well,” Craig teased with a touch of sarcasm as he took a sip of water then held the glass to his forehead.   


“Your wife too,” Seth winked and chuckled then he left the kitchen with his burdens, leaving a confused Craig Taylor behind him.


“What are you talking about?” Craig asked but it was too late.  Seth was gone.  Craig finished his water then as quickly as he could followed Seth to the backyard of the B&B where he found his current wife and his ex-wife sunbathing.


“All done for today?” Susan asked from a shaded lounge chair.  She was wearing an attractive one piece bathing suit that accentuated her youthful figure.


Jennifer too, was in a bathing suit; Craig had forgotten just how beautiful Jennifer was.  You’d never guess that Jennifer was the mother of a forty-something year old artist.  Or the grandmother to two very precocious children.  Craig couldn’t help but stare at both ladies until he felt himself grow uncomfortably warm.  Without a word, Craig turned and went back inside.  Seth followed.


“Are you all right?” Seth asked with sincere concern.


“Yeah, just a little too warm out there right after my workout, you know?”


“I can imagine,” Seth agreed.


“Glen mentioned something about coming back around four to show me how to use a few of the light weights.  I think I better go rest a while.”


“Sounds like a good idea,” Seth said as he watched Craig slowly and carefully walk into his room.


“Is he all right?” Jennifer asked Seth when he returned to the yard.


“Yes, he went back to your suite,” Seth said, looking at Susan.  “I think the sight of you two fine ladies was a little too much for Craig but he wouldn’t admit it.  He did say that Glen’s coming back later this afternoon to show him how to work with light weights.  I think that’s an excellent sign that Craig is making progress.”


“I think you’re right,” Jenn said as she snuggled back down in her lounger.  It was very warm in the sun but her delicate skin was protected with sunscreen and by a wide umbrella.  Fortunately there was a cool breeze that came off the stream through the trees and through their yard.


“Do you think I should go to him?” Susan asked.


“I think you should stay right where you are and enjoy yourself,” Seth suggested.


“Me too,” Jennifer chimed in.


“Okay,” Susan said as she made herself comfortable.


Seth followed the ladies’ example; soon all that was heard was the rustling of the leaves, birds, and the occasion bee transporting its bundle of pollen.


 


*****


 


“What is he doing?” Michael grumbled.  He was sitting out on the front deck of their cabin.  It was well shaded and cool and he had a good view of the lane.  Glen would come flying past, screech to a halt, do a 180 then speed off again.


“What is who doing?” Ben asked.


“That Glen person.”


“That Glen person?” Ben repeated.  “Michael, Glen’s a good guy, what’s your problem with him?”


“What’s my problem with him?”


“Is there an echo out here?” Ben asked as he pulled his recalcitrant spouse out of his chair and into his muscled arms.  “Are you jealous of Glen?”


Ben felt a slight nod into his chest.


“Michael, first, above all I love you.  I have from the moment we met.  Do you believe me?” Ben asked as he looked into Michael’s eyes.  Michael nodded again.  “Good.  Now a few facts about Glen Wilder.  If you haven’t noticed, Glen and Alex are seriously devoted to each other and they have been since they met in college.  They married as soon as it was legal and Glen chose to take Alex’s name.  Glen loves to joke around and push everyone’s buttons including Alex’s, but he’s never cheated. 


“We talk, Michael.  He’s an interesting man and with his insights and knowledge, I feel better after talking to him.  He likes looking at men, he even likes looking at women.  He’s an athlete, and a physical therapist, the human form holds a certain fascination for him.  And he loves to tease Alex, who by the way can give just as good as he gets.  But Glen once told me that even the thought of being with someone other than Alex is a total turn off for him.  He’s a one man, man, Michael.  Just like I am.”


They kissed and then decided to continue their “discussion” in their bedroom.


 


***** 


 


Emmett walked up the lane carrying a basket of his popovers.  He felt a bit like Little Red Riding Hood carrying his basket into the dangerous woods known on the lane as the B&B since Craig Big Bad Wolf Taylor had moved in.  He tapped gently on the door.


It was quickly opened by Susan.  "Hi," she said with a tired smile.


"Hello, hello, hello," Emmett said pasting on his best and most ingratiating grin.  "Is his royal nastiness at home?" he asked peering over her shoulder.  "I brought some treats."


Susan grimaced.  She was only too well aware of what most people thought of her husband.  She drew in a breath and said, "If you mean Craig, he's in the bedroom working with Glen."


"That was who I meant, but since I brought popovers, I guess you might have thought I meant Brian."


"Where is Brian?" Susan asked with a frown.  "We haven't seen anything of him or Justin.  Are they making themselves scarce?"


"That would be an emphatic yes.  Everyone thought that discretion would be the better part of valor.  They've all gone into Pittsburgh to take care of some business."


"I hate that they feel they have to leave their home to avoid my obstinate husband."


"They aren't exactly thrilled about it either, but they want Craig to get well."


"And leave the lane."


"Yes, that's probably their most fervent wish."


Susan shook her head.  Sometimes she wondered what kept her married to someone who was so disliked by his own family.  But she knew another Craig who was quite different when he wasn't around Brian Kinney and his son, Justin.  He was much different when he was with Bree or Taylor.  He was much different when there was just the two of them ... alone in their condo.


"Are you going to invite me in?" Emmett asked.  "Or should I just drop the basket and run?"


Susan chuckled.  "Sorry," she said.  "Come on in, Emmett."


As Emmett entered the B&B, he saw Jennifer, Seth and Alex having coffee at the counter that separated the kitchen space.


"Do I smell popovers?" Seth asked with a hopeful look on his face.


"You certainly do," Emmett replied.  "A batch of my very best."


"Every batch you make is excellent," Jennifer said with a smile.


"I want some of these popovers," Alex chimed in.  "I've heard about them.  They're Brian's favorites, aren't they?"


"One of the few things, other than Justin, that makes him weak at the knees," Emmett said with his toothy grin.


"I can't believe anything makes Brian Kinney weak at the knees," Alex said just before he popped a piece of buttery popover into his mouth.  "Mmmmmm," he moaned in ecstasy, "except maybe these things."


"Told ya," Emmett laughed.


"These are amazing," Alex said.


"Thank you, kind sir," Emmett said with a little curtsey.


"Please join us," Jennifer said indicating an empty stool at the bar.


Emmett hesitated and looked toward the bedroom where Craig would be doing his exercise regimen.  "Maybe I should just go," Emmett said, not wanting to cause any problems if Craig should happen to appear.


"They haven't been at it very long, so I think it's safe for a while," Alex said.


"Okay, maybe for a few minutes," Emmett agreed as he took a seat at the counter.


Jennifer poured him a cup of coffee and he took one of the popovers to go with it.  "I'd love the recipe for those things," Jennifer told him.


"I could give it to you, but then I'd have to kill you," Emmett joked.  "Seriously though, they are the staple of my restaurant so I don't give out the recipe."


"Understood," Jenn said.


"Thank God," Seth blurted out.


"Hey!" Jennifer responded.  "You don't think I could make popovers as good as Emmett's?" she demanded with a scowl.


"Quite the opposite, my dear," Seth replied.  "If you got that recipe, I'd weigh three hundred pounds by the end of the year."  He shoved the remaining piece of his popover into his mouth.


Everyone laughed at his exaggeration, but they could all attest that a steady diet of Emmett's popovers would add pounds to all of them.


"These are truly sinful," Alex said as he finished his popover.


"Please, sin some more," Emmett stated with a grin as he passed around the basket one more time.


"Should we save one for Craig?" Susan asked when she and Jennifer turned down another popover.  "I have to watch my figure."


"Me too," Jenn agreed.  "It would be a nice treat for Craig following his therapy.  I think he deserves at least one."  She looked at Emmett for his approval.


"I guess he could have one," Emmett said.  "They say you should leave them wanting more, so only one," he added with an evil grin.


As they all chuckled, Susan wrapped one popover in a paper napkin.  The men finished off most of the rest of the popovers.


"I think I'm in popover heaven," Alex said.  "I better save a couple of these for Glen or he'll kill me."


"You don't have to tell him about the popovers," Jennifer said with a wicked smile.


"We don't keep secrets from each other," Alex said seriously.


"Not even teensy, weensy secrets?" Emmett asked his eyes sparkling with mischief.  "Like secrets about extraordinarily delicious popovers."


"Not even about extraordinarily delicious popovers," Alex laughed.  He wrapped two popovers in a paper napkin as Susan had done.  He eyed the empty basket with longing.


"I'll make another batch later this week," Emmett promised.


"That would be phenomenal," Seth gushed.  "I can hardly wait."


"I wonder what Craig will think of them?" Susan asked.


"Don't tell him a homo made them and he'll probably think they're wonderful," Emmett said with an edge of sarcasm in his voice.  "I should probably get going," he said standing up and glancing toward the door behind which was the notorious patient.


Just then the bedroom door opened and Craig Taylor came out walking without a cane.  "Look at me, everybody," Craig said proudly taking a few steps into the room.  There was stunned silence.


"Craig, this is wonderful," Susan said rushing to his side.


"I think that's enough, Craig," Glen said as he wheeled into the room behind his patient.  He had Craig’s cane across his lap.


"I can do more," Craig declared taking a few more steps.


"I told you just a few steps were enough for today.  You've had a long workout."


"I can do..."  Before Craig could continue he started to wobble and lean to one side.  Susan quickly put her arm around his waist to steady him.


"Give him the cane," Glen ordered shoving the cane toward Craig and Susan.


Susan quickly placed it in Craig’s hand.  He leaned heavily on it.


"Get him to a chair," Glen commanded.  "He tired himself out in there, but he wanted to show you all the progress he's making.  He just overdid it, because he's one stubborn son-of-a-bitch," Glen stated.


Craig glared at Glen in spite of the weary look on his pained face.


Emmett had grabbed the special hip chair and quickly brought it to Craig who sat heavily as soon as it was under his backside.  "Thanks," he said looking up at his benefactor.  "Do I know you?" he asked trying to decide who it was that had helped him.


"Emmett Honeycutt at your service," Emmett said brusquely.  "We've met on several occasions."


"You're one of those..."


"That's right, I am, and I was about to leave."


"That's good," Craig muttered.


"You don't have to rush off," Susan quickly said to Emmett.  "Emmett brought you a treat, dear."


The look on Craig's face told everyone that he wanted something from Emmett Honeycutt about as much as he wanted his eyebrows flamed off.


Emmett took in the look and responded with a withering glance of his own.  "I'm glad you all enjoyed my little present," Emmett stated grabbing his now empty basket from the counter.  He headed towards the door.


A chorus of "Thank you's" and "Please bring some more" followed Emmett as he exited the B&B.


"That was plain rude," Susan told her husband, disapproving greatly of Craig's comments and demeanor toward Emmett.


"Me, rude, I wasn't rude," Craig protested.


"You know, Craig, the sad thing is that you probably don't even realize how rude you were," Jennifer said.  "But let me assure you that you were ... extremely rude."


Craig threw a look that would have been daggers flying in his ex-wife's direction, if he could have managed to do so.  "Where's this so-called treat?" he demanded.


"I'm not sure you deserve the so-called treat," Susan stated moving away from her husband.


"You sure don't know what side your bread is buttered on, do you?" Glen said.


"I don't have to beg, and I don't intend to," Craig retorted.


"I have a treat for you too," Alex said to his husband, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.


"You do?" Glen asked with a wide smile.  "I can hardly wait."  He quickly steered his wheelchair over to the counter where Alex was still sitting.  "What is it?"


"A yummy surprise," Alex told him.  He handed his partner the bundle covered by the paper napkin.


"Is it a muffin?" Glen asked as he unwrapped his prize and got the first glimpse of what the bundle contained.


"Popovers," most of the people in the room said at the same time.  Everyone chuckled.


Craig watched from his chair as Glen uncovered his two popovers.  "What the hell are popovers?" he demanded.


"It doesn't matter since you're not getting one," Jennifer said with her best smile.


"Fucking assholes," Craig muttered to everyone present.


Glen bit into his popover.  "Mmm, mmm, mmm," he moaned.  "These are beyond delicious.  And I have two."  He cast a knowing glance at Craig who was scowling at being left out.  "You don't know what you're missing, Craig.  This may be the best thing I've ever eaten."


"Where's mine?" Craig demanded.


"You don't have one," Susan reminded him.


"You said there was one for me when I first came out here."


"And I told you that you didn't deserve it after the way you treated Emmett.  They're his popovers."


"But I worked so hard at my therapy," Craig whined.


"I have to admit he did work hard," Glen said as he finished his first popover.


"If you promise to be nicer to Emmett the next time you see him, I might consider letting you have the popover that he left specifically for you," Susan said.  She waited to see what her stubborn husband would say.


"I guess I could be more pleasant ... next time," Craig grudgingly admitted.  He wasn't going to apologize for what he had said.


"Okay," Susan said, glad that she had at least gotten a bit of a concession from Craig.  "Here you go."  She took the popover that Jennifer handed to her and gave it to her husband.


Craig quickly uncovered the popover and took a bite.  Everyone watched to see what his reaction would be.  Craig's eyebrows shot up and he licked his lips as he swallowed the first bite.  He quickly devoured the rest of the popover.


"So was it worth the wait?" Susan asked.


"I have to admit that is one delicious piece of pastry," Craig admitted.  "But how come Glen got two and I only got one?"

 

The room was suddenly full of groans.