- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian and Justin continue their relationship

Lindsay

 

Lindsay left Brian's office with her mind racing in a number of directions.  She was upset that Brian had put her in her place and dashed her dreams of regaining control of Gus and the money that Brian had originally given him.  She was angry at Mel for pushing her to go see Brian.  As a lawyer, she knew that you needed proof before accusing people of things and all they had was Michael's word.  Michael's word, as they all knew, was skewed to benefit what Michael wanted, not necessarily what was the entire truth.  As she left Brian's office, a plan to get on his good side was developing.  Gus had been talking about Justin and his show for several weeks.  She had listened but not really paid a lot of attention as the ramblings of a 10-year-old were often self-centered, especially when it came to her son and his father.  It appeared that Gus worshiped his father and thought the world of Justin.  She had heard his name and knew that he was an up-and-coming artist.  

 

She drove to her office at the gallery and booted up her computer. She typed Justin Taylor and several results showed up. 

 

 

Justin Taylor - Facebook

 

Justin Taylor is an artist in the Pittsburgh area that works mostly with acrylics.  He does commissions for corporate spaces as well as personal portraits.  His next show will be at the Art for Change fundraiser. 

 

Justin Taylor, 2023 Safety - Rivals.com

 

Justin Taylor - 23 Star Safety for Wisconsin on BadgerBlitz

 

Justin Taylor - Facebook

 

4073 Likes 1487 Talking about this.  French musician//Soloist & chamber music with @LeConsort//Recording for @AlphaClassics

 

She then typed in Art For Change

 

New for 2022, Art for Change will include a number of exclusive galleries curated by well-known artists, including Judy Barie, Madeline Gent, Steve Mendelson, Boom Concepts, and Contemporary Craft. These galleries will include a mix of artists and mediums, which they will select to weave together a story that best represents their own aesthetic experience. In addition to curating their own galleries, these artists, led by Art for Change Committee Chair, Mia Tarducci, will also select an additional 50-75 pieces submitted from our generous and loyal art community that will be juried into the gallery section of the show.  

The show will be on September 9, 2022 at 5:30

 

She clicked on the entry and read a little about the exhibit.  It didn't mention Justin but since his Facebook page did she thought that maybe she could garner more information from the Persad Center.  She picked up the phone and asked to speak to the owner of Persad Center

 

"Mr. Talbot's office.  How may I help you?"

 

"My name is Lindsay Peterson and I was hoping I could get information about the artist Justin Taylor.  His art is being shown tonight for the fundraiser."  Lindsay said, hoping that the person answering the phone would have the information she wanted. Lindsay heard rustling on the other end of the phone.

 

"Hold for one moment and I'll connect you."

 

"John Talbot" a man with a deep voice answered.

 

"My name is Lindsay Peterson and I was hoping you would be able to assist me.  I'm looking for information about the artist who is being showcased for the fundraiser tonight.  Justin Taylor.  I'd like to talk to his agent.  Would you happen to have that contact information?"

 

"Yes.  His agent is Carol Schwarm.  Lovely woman.  Mr. Taylor is lucky to have her."  John said.  "He's very talented.  Have you seen much of his work?"

 

"Only a little and I would love to see more.  Carol Schwarm is his agent.  Do you have her contact information, by chance?"  Lindsay asked, hoping that she wouldn't have to spend another hour or two trying to contact her.

 

"Of course.  Her number is 555-1111.  She's a good friend of mine. Tell her that John Talbot said hello.  Is there anything else I can assist you with?"

 

"No, I can't wait to see the exhibit.  I'm sure it will be great."

 

"No doubt.  The opening is tonight and it is a fundraiser but the exhibit will be here for a few weeks.  There are a number of pieces that will be auctioned at the exhibit but they will be on view for a period of time after the show.  It is a spectacular show of art."

 

"Thank you for your time,"  Lindsay said and hung up the phone.   Lindsay reviewed the notice again and recognized the names of several of the premier artists but the article said there would be up to 75 artists there as well as galleries specifically for some of the known artists.  This might be her chance to get on Brian's good side if she could make some inroads with Justin's career.  Then he would be beholden to her and ... The possibilities were endless.  She could see the dollar signs racking up before she picked up the phone again to call Carol.  She was certain this would be a great day for everyone.

 

She picked up the phone and dialed the number that John had provided and after telling the secretary her name, she was passed through.

 

"Carol Shwarm,"  Carol answered.  

 

"Carol, my name is Lindsay Peterson and I am the exhibit coordinator at the Bloom Gallery. I understand that you represent Justin Taylor.  Is that correct?"

 

"Bloom Gallery," Carol had heard of the Bloom Gallery, of course, but wasn't sure where the caller was going with this reference.

 

"Yes.  I've been working in Pittsburgh for a number of years and wanted to offer my assistance to Justin Taylor.  I have a number of connections that I could introduce him to and would love to have a showing of his art at our gallery."  Lindsay explained, hoping that Carol would be interested in her proposition.

 

"I see.  I understand that the Bloom Gallery is rather small, hosting only a few artists at a time.  Why are you interested in him?"  Carol asked, wondering where this woman came from and why she was contacting her.  While it was not unheard of for a gallery to approach her about showing an artist, usually it happened after a show.  

 

"Well, I saw that he was exhibiting with the Art for Change project and I'm a big fan of the work they do.  I thought we could discuss a showing of his art at Bloom's.  I'm sure the exposure would be beneficial for his career."

 

"I'd have to discuss this with Mr. Taylor, but currently he has shows booked until spring of next year.  Mr. Taylor has a great following in several cities as well as an online presence.  I'll talk to him and see if he is interested."

 

"Next year.  Oh.  I didn't realize that he was..."  Lindsay stopped her sentence and backtracked, not wanting to appear as if she knew nothing about Justin's art or his popularity.  "That would be wonderful.  We always like to support native artists.  I look forward to hearing from you."

 

Carol noticed that she did not say anything about attending the fundraiser or seeing the current work and found that telling.  She made a plan to talk to Justin about this strange call. "I'll let you know his decision.  I must be going as I have a lot to do for this evening."

 

Carol hung up and looked at the phone with a curious expression.  She clicked on her computer and typed in Bloom Gallery.  She read the information and shook her head.  She was missing something but today was not the day to follow up with Justin.  The show tonight was a big thing for him.  He had been given 8 slots in one of the hallways to exhibit his work.  For someone who had been painting for only 4 years, that was a big accomplishment.  She doubted Justin would be interested in a small gallery such as  Bloom's but she would discuss it with him.  

 

After hanging up with Carol, Lindsay looked at the clock and saw that it was already noon.  She had spent her morning hoping to get back at Brian and when that didn't work, trying to get in his good graces by offering to introduce Justin to people in the art world and even offering Bloom gallery for a small show.  This was also futile as his agent explained that he was already booked for the next year.  She wanted to scream and would have if her office was better soundproofed.  As it was, she was no closer to her goal of getting Brian in her good graces and getting back the trust he had in her and as a result, getting the money that he used to provide freely for Gus.    After all, it was money that Gus needed and Brian should be providing more money for his care than just buying clothes and any items that he needed for school and extracurriculars.  She had to find a way to convince Brian that Gus needed more than what Brian could buy him.


Brian

 

Thankfully Brian did not have any more calls from the "family" and worked all day.  After work, he drove toward his regular meeting recognizing that it was even more important to attend today.  As he was driving he thought about the last 24 hours and how he was again seeing who was important in his life and where his family stood in supporting his sobriety.

 

First, he thought about sitting in his car at Woody's and seeing Michael. After the conversations with Emmett and Ted, he felt positive about his recovery. They had supported him and had not chastised him even when they weren't certain that he had slipped up.  Lindsay, on the other hand, immediately acted on his supposed slip and was in the wings waiting to hand out his punishment.  The same could be said about Michael.  Michael immediately assumed that Brian had never been in recovery and was just putting on a false picture for everyone.  Brian had known that Michael never accepted that he was an alcoholic and had shown his true thoughts on multiple occasions.  Each negative encounter with Michael had solidified for Brian that Michael had no interest in maintaining their friendship unless it included the activities that Michael wanted to participate in, mainly going to bars, shooting pool, and picking up tricks.  It saddened him that he had spent so many years supporting Michael and protecting him but when it was Brian's turn to garner support, he was not there to provide it. 

 

He moved on to his discussion with Cleo at the diner and how he praised Brian for using his strategies to avoid drinking.  Brian still struggled with the idea that he was not a failure even though he found himself in front of Woody's contemplating going inside and all that would entail. After the last 24 hours, he was beginning to accept that temptation did not equate with failure, but rather meant that he was aware enough to address his behavior.  

 

His thoughts bounced to Justin and his surprise visit last night.  He was more than thrilled to have Justin call and show up at his home, even though that meant that he chose to disclose his aborted visit to Woody's.  The support and conversation that Justin offered was great.  And he could not stop smiling when he thought of waking up with Justin in his bed.  He had never thought about inviting him to stay the night, even though they had been spending time together almost every night for the last 10 months.  Last night, it seemed like the right thing to do.  Maybe, he thought, this is what dating and relationships are all about; wanting to spend time with another person because you just want to be with them.  He was still amazed that having Justin wake up in his bed was so pleasurable.  

 

Then there was the conversation with Emmett who in typical Emmett fashion, was chastising him one minute for falling off the wagon, and then practically in the same breath was all hugs and support when he realized that Brian had not slipped up and started drinking again.  He was thankful for Emmett in his life and wondered why he never realized how loyal he was.

 

His conversation with Ted was as he expected, supportive and non-judgmental and he was forever thankful that Ted was 100% on his side.

 

Lastly, his encounter with Lindsay, while not a surprise, was still disappointing in her obvious belief that he was going to slip up and was not serious about changing his life.  And, true to form, she was again trying to use Gus as a pawn to get what she wanted.  He had no doubt that Melanie was behind the visit to his office and that they'd both been hoping to use his struggle as an excuse to turn back time when he was supporting Gus and paying them large quantities of money to do so.  Even if he did slip up, he didn't feel that he would ever agree to return to their previous arrangement of paying for Gus's needs at their whim.  Gus seemed much happier with the current agreement. 

 

He hoped that Melanie and Lindsay had not spoken about his visit to Woody's last night as he did not want Gus to worry.  However, he knew Mel and Lins pretty well at this juncture and he wouldn't put it past them to have a conversation with him before they had talked to Brian.  He decided he would call him after his meeting tonight.   

 

He walked into the meeting and sat down in the small circle of chairs.  He did not want to try to drink the potential day-old coffee.  He looked around, not expecting Justin to walk in, but hoping that maybe he would be able to manage an appearance.  Shortly after he sat down, the leader called the group to order. Brian nodded his head, ready to listen and pay attention to the group.  He knew it was important to attend today as it was the first time he'd really contemplated drinking during his recovery.

 

"Welcome, everyone.  I'm Sam and I'll be your leader tonight.  Today I want to talk about drinking."

 

A look of confusion rippled through the small group of people, but they all turned toward Sam curious as to the meaning of his statement.

 

"AA is about recovery, but before we can recover, we have to admit we have a problem."  Sam looked around and saw most of the attendees nodding in agreement.

 

"Drinking is a progression.  We never start out planning to get drunk.  Well, maybe when we've been drinking for a long time, our intention is to get drunk to numb our feelings. But in the beginning, that isn't our intention.  We drink one or two drinks and find we can handle it and then one or two become three or four or maybe it becomes 2-3 times a week, but eventually, the drinking becomes out of control.  Before we know it, we are drinking again and that was never our intention."  

 

"I'm Clara,"  a petite woman with brown hair cut in a short bob said.  "I think we all admit we have a problem or we wouldn't be here."  She ran her hand through her short hair and continued.  "However, I get where you're coming from.  Drinking is more than the drink itself.  I mean, if I never have another drink then I won't ever need to worry about starting again."

 

"I'm Stan,"  said the middle-aged man next to her.  "I was sober for four years and then I thought that I could safely try drinking again.  I thought I had conquered the demons, but I was wrong.  As you said, Sam, it started out with one and then moved to two and three, and then ... well, I think all of you know where that story ends."

 

A murmur of yeses and headshakes was seen and heard around the small circle.  

 

"I've been sober for 10 months and I've seen huge changes in myself.  But until a few days ago, I never really thought about the future beyond tomorrow.  I think I knew in the back of my head that I could never drink again, but the reality of that just hit me,"  Brian said.  

 

Clara said, "Yeah.  I remember the first time it hit me that I could never drink again.  The reality that this was my life forever almost caused me to want to drink again.  I got really depressed and almost slipped up, but I called my sponsor and she helped me sort it out."

 

"I'm Brian.  So you were depressed when you realized that you could never drink again?"  Brian asked, her words hitting home. 

 

"Sure.  I mean I had been working the program and doing really well.  I was making amends, figuring out things, and getting my life together, and then bam!"  Carla hit her fist into the other palm.  "I woke up one day and was having a really shitty day and thought about drinking.  I even drove to a bar that was out of the way where no one I knew could see me.  I stayed there, you know.... In the parking lot trying to convince myself that no one would know and then I just started crying."   Carla looked at the people in the circle and saw several nodding heads and all eyes on her.  "I think that was the first time that I actually cried since I got sober."

 

"You cried,"  said Sam, the question unspoken.

 

"Yeah, I broke down and cried like a baby, but it was really cathartic.  I cried for all the people I hurt and I cried for the person I used to be.  Sort of like burying the dead.  I think at that moment, I finally realized that my life was changed forever and that sobriety was permanent.  I think that was when I realized that I could never go back to drinking."

 

"Exactly," Sam said.  "It takes our brains a while to realize that drinking is off the table forever, not just for a few weeks or a few months.  When we walk into an AA group, we are often at our lowest and realize that something has to change.  If we are successful, we stop drinking and we don't go back to drinking.  But sometimes, we slip up, we fool ourselves into thinking one drink won't make a difference, and no one will know.  But if we are honest with ourselves and accept we have a problem and the only way to stay sober is not to have a drink, then we can do amazing things."

 

"But being sober isn't the thing that makes us change,"  Brian said, contributing to the discussion.  "For me, stopping drinking made me realize that I didn't like the life I had.  I had to figure out what I wanted in life and then make changes to get there.  For me, the drinking was an avoidance tactic.  Drinking allowed me to not face my life.  Now that I'm sober, I have a track or rather I have personal goals.  I know that I won't realize those goals if I'm consumed by thinking about my next drink.  Being sober really frees me up to live the life I want."  

 

"And are you living the life you want?"  Carla asked.

 

"I think so.  It's very different from the life I had before I quit drinking but it is something that I look forward to every day.  So yeah.  I'm living the life I want and I want to continue working toward everything that will make it great."  Brian smiled as he thought of Justin's impromptu sleepover the night before and realized that he would like to have that happen more often.  

 

"Thanks for the lively discussion tonight.  But our time is up.  Coffee is available at the back of the room and we'll see you next week,"  Sam said.  

 

Brian had been attending AA for 10 months and at this point saw many familiar faces at each meeting.  He still attended a different meeting each night as the only meetings that met in the same place each night were attached to a recovery program.  Blake had offered to have him attend his regular groups despite him not working in his program, but he declined.  He still did not want anyone watching his progress or hearing about his slip-ups, even though he knew that confidentiality was assured.  He said good night to a few of the people he recognized and walked to his car.  As he drove home, he missed Justin's presence and their new habit of cooking dinner and eating together each night after their meetings.  It was still early, just after 7:00 and he had the whole night in front of him.

 

He knew he would not go back to Woody's even if no one knew he went. Tonight's meeting solidified his thoughts on that first drink and he appreciated knowing that other people still struggled with the same problem.  

 

He had been so busy at work that all he'd eaten for lunch was an apple and his stomach growled at him letting him know that it was not satisfied with the meager amount of food that he ate.  He had a little leftover chicken that he and Justin had cooked earlier in the week and decided that would have to suffice.

 

He drove home and was surprised to see Justin's car sitting in the garage.  He excitedly opened the door and walked over to the car, knocking on the window of the driver's seat.

 

"What are you doing here?  I thought I wouldn't see you until tomorrow,"  Brian asked as Justin opened the car and stepped out.

 

"I just got done with everything and it was too late to get to the meeting but I hoped you'd be coming home and I could catch you here.  I didn't want to wait until tomorrow night to see you,'  Justin said, as he reached up and pulled Brian in for a kiss.  Brian opened his mouth to return the kiss and wrapped his arms around Justin, pulling him close to his body.  

 

After several minutes, Justin pulled away and said, "Let's not give the neighbors a show."

 

Brian laughed and said, "Sure."  He locked his car and they took the elevator to the Loft.  

 

Brian said, "I haven't eaten dinner.  I was going to heat up the chicken that we made earlier in the week."

 

"Sounds good.  I think I was given a sandwich at lunchtime but I don't remember if I ate it or not.  I think I might have taken a few bites and then placed it somewhere.  Real food is always a welcome addition."  Justin went into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and looked for something they could quickly make to accompany the chicken.  There were some leftover potatoes and some broccoli that needed to be cooked.  He got out the saucepan to cook the broccoli and placed the potatoes on a plate to heat them in the microwave.  After Brian reheated the chicken in the toaster oven, the potatoes and broccoli were done and they plated their food, taking it to the dining room table.

 

"I'm so glad that you got finished early.  I was not looking forward to spending the evening alone.  In fact, since you are here, what do you say to a repeat of last night?  Want to sleep over again?"  Brian said as he sat down at the table.

 

Justin smiled and said, "Sure.  I'd like that. I like waking up beside you."  

 

Neither man mentioned the sleeping arrangements again and when it was time for bed, Brian mentioned that the toothbrush was still there for Justin to use. When they were in bed, Justin was exhausted and lay down on his side and Brian wrapped his arm around him, enjoying the feel of him nestled in his arms.  Brian wanted to do more, but before he could start his exploration, he heard the soft snores coming from Justin.  He could admit that he was disappointed but realized that he was actually okay with falling asleep holding Justin.  

 

In the morning, Justin joined Brian in the shower again.  As Brian was soaping Justin, he said, "Molly and I will be at the show about 7:00.  I promised to take her to an early dinner and she agreed.  I can't wait to see your new pieces."

 

"That's right, you are Molly's beard for the night.  I guess that means that you'll have to take her home after the show before joining me at the after-hours party,'  Justin said as he took the bar of soap and started lathering it up to soap up Brian.

 

"After-hours party?  I figured you would be busy with your agent and patrons and I wouldn't see you until sometime tomorrow,"  Brian said as he turned around to rinse the soap.

 

"I will be busy for a while, but I hate the idea of not seeing you again.  After an opening I have so much adrenaline coursing through my body, I need more than a few hours to unwind.  There is always an after-opening party and you could be my +1.  I'm sure Molly won't mind if you take her home a little early."  Justin turned around and rinsed all the soap from his body as well.

 

"I would love to attend, but I have to pick up Gus.  After the opening, I'll take Molly home and then swing by Debbie's to grab Gus.  After my almost slip-up at Woody's the other night, I can't afford to give Lindsay any ammunition.  I'll have to take a rain check." Brian turned off the water and grabbed a towel from the warming rack, rubbing it over his body.  He handed Justin another towel and Justin started to dry his body as well.  

 

Justin leaned over and gave Brian a quick kiss on the lips.  "I forgot about Gus. I'll try to keep the after-hours party short. Would it be okay if I came over after the party?"  Justin asked, hoping Brian would say yes.

 

"I'd like that, but I don't know about you spending the night again.  It's different when Gus is here."  Brian said.  "I know he's used to us being together, but I'll need to talk to him about it.  I don't want him waking up and you're there. Mind you, I don't need Gus' permission for you to sleep over, but..."

 

"Do you want me to wait and just come in the morning?" Justin asked, a little disappointed, but understanding Brian's hesitancy. 

 

"No.  I'd love for you to come by after the party.  It should still be pretty early.  I'm selfish.  I want to see you as much as possible,"  Brian said as he hung up the towel and walked toward the bedroom.  

 

Justin hung up his towel and followed Brian into the bedroom, gathering his clothing and dressing.  Today, the clothes were not strewn over the entire room and were much easier to locate. As he dressed he thought of Brian's comment.  What would Gus' reaction be?  He thought it would be fine but kids could be weird sometimes. 

 

Brian glanced at Justin and asked,  "I see you thinking over there.  Care to share?"

 

"I was thinking of your comment about Gus.  I remember how disappointed Gus was when you and I had our misunderstanding.  I think he'd be fine with me sleeping over, but I understand why you want to tell him about it.  It can get really awkward when kids are involved."

 

"I'm not really worried about Gus and his reaction.  I think he won't be a problem.  Now his mothers.... Well, I'm sure they will have an opinion about everything.  I can just hear it now.  ‘But Brian, what happens if you and Justin don't work out?  Gus will be crushed.'  Blah blah blah." 

 

Brian pushed the hangars in his closet until he located the suit he wanted to wear today.  He took the pants off the hangar and put them on.  "Lindsay was in my office within hours of Michael letting everyone know about me showing up at Woody's.  She already had her plan in place about not letting me see Gus and that I should allow her and Melanie to purchase Gus' things.  You could see the wheels turning when she thought I had slipped up."  Brian located the white shirt he wanted to wear and put it on and then chose a red tie to accompany the suit.  As he tied his tie, he said, "I'm sure she already has a scheme in place the minute she hears anything that can get her what she wants.  I wouldn't put it past her to try and use our relationship for her gain as well."

 

"She works in a gallery, doesn't she?  I think the first time we met she said something about it,"  Justin said, sitting on the bed and watching Brian dress.  The man was beautiful, with or without clothing and he never tired of looking at him. 

 

"Yes.  She wanted to be an artist but didn't have the talent.  She's good at what she does, working in the gallery,"  Brian said as he gave himself one last look in the mirror. 

 

"Maybe, I could get on her good side by introducing her to some people.  I know a lot of artists and my agent would probably be willing to talk to her about showing some of the work of the people she represents.  That might get her in your good graces,"  Justin said, offering to use his contacts to smooth things over for Brian.  It would be a win-win situation if Lindsay received some professional gain from Brian's personal life.

 

Brian walked toward the kitchen and looked at the clock on the microwave.  "Normally, I'd make a guava juice smoothie, but someone distracted me this morning.  I guess I'll stop by the diner and grab some breakfast.  Besides, I usually try to get to the office early on Fridays since I leave for a noon meeting and then pick up Gus from school."

 

"I have to stop by the gallery and be sure that the art is set up like it's supposed to be, go to the cleaners and pick up my jacket, and I have some pieces that I need to work on before the opening tonight.  I have several commissions that are due by the end of the month and time never seems to be on my side when it comes to painting when I'm getting ready for a show."

 

"It sounds like we both have busy days."  Brian leaned down to give Justin a kiss on the lips. It was quick and neither man lingered.  "I'll see you tonight.  Have a great day."

 

Brian set the alarm and they walked out of the building together.  Brian went to work and Justin walked toward his car.  He needed to go home and change and grab something to eat as well.  After eating, he spent a few hours in his studio and then drove to the gallery. Since it didn't open till 11:00, he had planned on working earlier in the day.  This also hopefully prevented him from getting lost in the creative process and not completing the things he needed to do today.  On his way to the gallery,  his phone rang and he saw that Carol was calling.  He answered.

 

"Carol.  I'm excited about tonight.  I painted this morning for a few hours to work on the two commissions that I have.  I should have them finished by next week.  I'm already working on the pieces for the show in November.  I have completed 10 of the pieces and the ideas for the other 10.  I can't get over how quickly my art is being recognized.  I owe you a huge thank you."

 

"You're the talent, Justin.  I'm just the conduit.  I'm calling as I received a strange phone call yesterday.  The woman said she worked for Bloom Gallery and was inquiring about a small show for you.  She seemed to think that she was offering you a big break by offering a show.  It was like she didn't know anything about your work and well, it was just odd."  Carol said as she looked at her notes regarding the phone call.

 

"Did she say her name, by any chance?"  Justin asked.

 

"Yes.  Lindsay Peterson,"  Carol said. 

 

"Lindsay.  I know her.  This doesn't surprise me,"  Justin said.

 

"You know her?"

 

"She does work at a gallery, but I don't know her from there.  She is Brian's son's mother."

 

"Brian, as in the guy you are dating, Brian?"  Carol asked.  This was getting stranger and stranger.

 

"One and the same.  If I were to hazard a guess, she probably thinks that by calling you and offering a show, she is doing me a favor.  And doing me a favor will get her on Brian's good side.  I'm not interested in a show at Bloom's gallery.  I have enough on my plate and I don't want to play those games.  If she calls back, just tell her I'm not interested."

 

"Will do.  I told her that I would share the information with you but that you wouldn't probably be interested,"  Carol said, crossing off the name on her paper.  

 

"She is giving Brian a hard time about a lot of things and I don't want to be a part of her games.  Thanks for telling me.  I'll see you tonight."  Justin hung up the phone and pulled into the gallery.  It was almost noon and the staff should be putting the final touches on the art for tonight's fundraiser.  He hoped to only be there for a short time and then finish up his errands.  

 

He looked around the gallery and made a few comments about lighting and left about 15 minutes later.  He was close to the community center where Brian typically attended his Friday noon meeting.  It was already 12:40, but if he timed it right, he could catch him on his way out.  It would be a nice surprise for both of them.  

 

He pulled into the parking lot of the building and recognized Brian's car.  He looked at his dashboard and saw that it was already 12:55, 5 minutes before the meeting let out.  He sat in his car waiting for Brian.  When Brian walked out of the building, he got out of his car and walked to Brian's car.  Brian was not looking at his car until he saw Justin standing by it.  His smile widened and he quickened his pace.

 

"You're too late for the meeting,"  he said, gently teasing Justin.

 

"Who has time to drink?  I've got a list of things to do in the next three hours and there is just no time for drinking, even if I wanted to,"  Justin said, keeping up their familiar banter.

 

"Good to know.  Being drunk at a charity show where your work is on display is probably not on the recommended list of ways to get recognized.  Not that I'm not thrilled with the surprise, but why are you here?"  Brian asked.

 

"Well, I was in the neighborhood and saw the time.  I was hoping to catch you before you went back to the office,"  Justin admitted with a shy smile.  

 

"Anything wrong?" Brian asked, looking more closely at Justin to see if he appeared distressed.

 

"Nope.  Everything is great.  Just FYI, I got a call from Carol, my agent, a little while ago.  She said she got a call from Lindsay, about showing my work.  Carol told her that I was booked until next year and she also said it was a really strange call since it appeared that at first Lindsay thought she'd be doing me a favor by offering to show my work at her gallery.  Carol said that typically when a gallery contacts an agent about an artist, the gallery knows a lot more about the artist than Lindsay appeared to know about you."

 

Brian laughed.  "Sounds like Lindsay.  She probably was trying to get back in my good graces after her soundless accusations yesterday.  In her twisted mind, she thinks that if she does something for you, I will be grateful that she helped your career and helped you get a break.  She has no idea that you are pretty successful and that you don't need her kind of help.  Maybe if she had met you a few years ago, but at this point in time, you are climbing fast."

 

"Yes.  You're probably right, but I just wanted to let you know.  I've only met her one time and she seemed okay."

 

"Looks can be deceiving.  I have Lindsay to thank for asking me to be the sperm donor for Gus.  He's one of the best things that have happened in my life, but I doubt if I would have provided my junk had it not been Lindsay.  We have a love/hate relationship and lately, it is more on the hate side."  Brian ran his hand through his hair and said, "Enough about Lindsay.  Got time to grab a quick bite or do you have to check off more boxes on your long list of things to do?"

 

Justin looked at his watch and said, "There's a diner around the corner.  I could be persuaded to grab a quick burger."

 

"Burger for you and turkey sandwich for me.  That works.  I can't spend too long as I too have a list of tasks to complete before I leave for the weekend.  At this rate, I may end up taking a few things home to work on over the weekend."  Brian said as he got in his car after getting directions from Justin.

 

They arrived at the diner and were seated immediately as it was after the lunch rush.  They waved the waitress to their table and gave their order since they both knew what they wanted.  The waitress brought two glasses of water and poured them two cups of coffee.  While they waited for their food, Brian said,  "I remember the first time we went for coffee after a meeting.  You took me to some little coffee shop and we talked about the merits of coffee.  Look at us now, we have come so far,"  Brian said, even though he was not one for nostalgia.

 

"I'd say so.  From coffee to dinner, to dinner parties, and now to sex and sleepovers.  Not bad for two recovering alcoholics.  You're coming to my show tonight - for the second time, I must add.  And I spend almost every weekend with you and see you almost every day.  Our lives have changed a lot in the last 10 months,"  Justin listed the many ways that they were involved in each other's lives.  

 

"That is an impressive list.  I'd say that we were pretty entwined in each other's lives,"  Brian said.  He reached out to Justin's hand and squeezed it.  "I'm pretty happy with my life.  How about you?"

 

"Very happy and I feel that it is just getting better,"  Justin said as the waitress brought them their food.

 

"I've been thinking about our conversation this morning,"  Brian said as Justin took a bite of his hamburger.  Brian thought it looked good, but he didn't eat burgers very often.  

 

Justin nodded as he chewed his burger.  

 

"I would like you to come over after your party and I would like you to spend the night.  I'll have plenty of time to talk to Gus when I pick him up this afternoon.  I really enjoyed waking up with you in my bed and I think Gus will be fine with it.  And if not, well, I guess I'll have to convince him it is a good thing,"  Brian said.  

 

Justin's heart soared when he heard Brian's statement.  "Are you sure?  I mean..."

 

"Justin.  We've been doing this for 10 months, as you said.  It's not like you are some new guy that I just met.  You've spent almost every weekend with Gus and you helped me build his bed.  You've taught him about photography and you've helped him gain an appreciation of artistic things, something I point out that his mother has never been able to manage.  I can't see any reason that he wouldn't be excited about you and me moving things to the next level,"  Brian explained and picked up his sandwich to take a bite.

 

Justin grinned and reached over to Brian and picked up his hand.  "This is corny, but I'm really excited about us."  He brought his hand to his mouth and gave it a small kiss, and then laid it back on the table.  

 

Brian grinned and said, "Me too."

 

They finished their respective lunches, asked for the check, and were gone their separate ways less than 30 minutes later; Brian went back to his office for a few short hours and Justin picked up his suit and got ready for the evening.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry for long delay.  RL has been just crazy busy