- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated! I am traveling right now, so will only get a chance to reply to your comments next week.

 

Chapter 10

 

They talked and texted a couple more times over the next couple of days, but never long and the conversations always stayed superficial. Brian didn't know why, but it bothered him that they weren't talking to each other like they had in the past and it took him a few days to accept that things between him and Justin had irrevocably changed.

 

It made him sad, though he knew that he really shouldn't have been surprised by that. Before, they had pretty much been in a relationship but then things had changed, they hadn't talked in over a year and when they had talked again for the first time it was only to find out that there were so many lies between them.


Brian had thought that Justin had been an artist from a rich family who had gone to private school in Pittsburgh. Now he knew that Justin was a prince from a European country, set to become king of that country one day. He knew that he was married and had a daughter, though he now knew that Justin and Daphne were officially getting divorced and that she was his best friend, not a real wife.

 

It would be ridiculous to expect things to just return to what they had been before when they and so many things about them and between them had changed. And that thought had made Brian really sad.

 

He had thought for two days about how much things had changed and what to do about it and in the end had come to the surprising realisation – or maybe not that surprising – that he wanted to get to know this Justin as well.


No, Justin wasn't who he had expected him to be, but the truth of the matter was that Justin was still a man that Brian was interested in. Prince or artist. It didn't matter. He cared about the man he had gotten to know four years ago and he liked that man, maybe even loved him.

 

And when presented with Ted's choice of letting him go and giving up on him, on them, Brian realised that he didn't want to do that. He was smart enough to know that things would never be the same as they had been before but maybe they could be different. Different but still good. New but good. Maybe they could build some real new trust between them now that all secrets were out in the open. As cliché as it sounded, maybe they could start over again.


The more Brian had thought about that, the more he had wanted them to. The problem was that he didn't know if Justin wanted to as well. He knew from Justin's letter that he still loved him and Brian had no doubt that the letter had been honest, but still Justin felt very distant whenever they talked. As if he was holding himself back somehow.

 

Brian had thought about that, had thought about how to break through the wall that Justin had now built around himself and then out of the blue a chance had suddenly presented itself.

 

“Are they still camping outside your apartment?” Brian asked, refering to the paparazzi that Justin had told him two days ago were camped outside his and Daphne's apartment, making it impossible for them to leave the house with their daughter without getting hounded wherever they went.


Everyone was looking for the first picture of the Prince and his Princess after they had announced that they would get a divorce and the more scandalous the picture would be, the better.

Justin and Daphne had basically been forced to hide away in their apartment for days now and Brian knew that it was getting to Justin because it was affecting Lizzie in a bad way. She didn't understand why they couldn't go out to the park, why they couldn't go to the playground and she had become really agitated by all the changes to her young life.

 

Brian wasn't surprised when he heard a deep sigh before Justin answered.

 

“Yeah. I don't think they have any intention of ever leaving. Maybe I should just go outside and give them a fucking picture, so they will finally leave us alone.”

 

“Maybe,” Brian agreed, then continued, knowing that this was his chance. “Have you thought about getting out of New York? Getting away from them?”

 

“And where to? Back home? It would be just the same there,” Justin's voice sounded resigned to the fact that this wouldn't be any different back in Europe.

 

“You could come here,” Brian offered, then held his breath.


“To your loft?” Justin's confusion was more than obvious. “I don't think so, Brian. I am not going to leave Daphne and Lizzie to fend for themselves. They're only in this situation because of me. I will not just abandon them to it.”

 

“I meant Pittsburgh. Not the loft,” Brian clarified, trying to stay calm. “All three of you.”

 

“And then what? We don't have anywhere to stay in Pittsburgh and I don't think staying in a hotel is a good idea right now. As soon as my name shows up on a guest list, somebody will tip off the media and they will hound us in Pittsburgh just like they are hounding us here.”

 

“I think I might have a solution for that,” Brian offered, feeling happy that he could finally set his plan in motion. “You just get out of New York and let me know when you can arrive in Pittsburgh and I'll take care of the rest.”

 

“What? Brian? No... I will not just uproot Daphne and Lizzie, so we can meet.” Justin's voice sounded adamant and Brian sighed when he heard it.

 

“Don't be so stubborn, Justin. I think I can help you with your current problem, all three of you. Get you out of New York and here to Pittsburgh where you will at least be able to go outside and get some fresh air. No one will expect you to be in Pittsburgh, will they?”

 

“No, but...,” Justin started, only to be stopped by Brian right away.


“No but. You just organise getting to Pittsburgh and I will take care of the rest,” Brian said, hoping that Justin wouldn't say no.

 

“Brian, I...”

 

“Do you trust me?” Brian suddenly asked, not allowing Justin to finish his sentence.


“What?” Justin was totally flabbergasted by that question and obviously hadn't expected it.

 

“Do you trust me?” Brian repeated, sounding a lot calmer than he felt. “Do you trust me not to do anything that would hurt you, your daughter or Daphne?”

 

“I...,” Justin stopped, then sighed. “Yeah, I guess.”

 

It wasn't quite the ringing endorsement Brian had been hoping for, but for now it would have to do.


“Okay, then let me do this, okay? For you and your family. I am just trying to help here, Justin. You can trust me!”

 

“Brian, I...,” Justin then stopped, not sure what to reply.

 

“Just trust me, okay? I just want to help.”

 

There was a long silence between them and for a moment Brian even wondered if Justin might have ended the call, before his quiet voice came back.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Thank you! You won't regret it,” Brian promised, hoping that he was right and Justin wouldn't regret coming to Pittsburgh and also hoping that his little plan would work out the way he hoped. “Just let me know when you'll get into Pittsburgh and I'll organise the rest.”

 

“I'll have to speak to Daphne first, Brian. I can't just make this decision on my own,” Justin argued.


“I understand,” Brian said quietly, knowing that Justin was right. This involved his child and the mother of his child, of course he couldn't just make a decision like this on his own. “Just tell her that she won't regret it. It will give all three of you a break from all the media attention.”

 

“I'll talk to her and will see what she says,” Justin offered and Brian knew it was as much as he would be getting from the younger man right then.


They ended the call shortly after and Brian waited until the next afternoon to hear back from Justin.


'Daphne says ok. We will leave tomorrow morning and arrive at Pittsburgh Northeast Airport at 9.35am.'

 

Brian read the text and for a second was confused. He actually had to look up Northeast Airport and wasn't really all that surprised when he saw that it was an airport that was mostly used for private chartered flights. Of course, Justin would have access to a private jet or the money to charter one, considering who he was. It was ridiculous to expect that he would fly commercial to Pittsburgh.

 

'I have a presentation at 10, but Ted will meet you there. You can trust him.'

 

Once he had sent the text, he called for Ted to come to his office.

Brian noticed that the man seemed rather confused as to why Brian had called for him. They had just finished a meeting half an hour ago and as far as Ted was concerned, there was nothing else to talk about.


“Yeah, Brian?”

 

“We still have that corporate suite at the Fairmont?”

 

Ted frowned, but then nodded. Kinnetik had a suite at the Fairmont that was booked for them all year, so they could use it whenever they had corporate guests coming into town that needed to be hosted before a presentation.

 

“Is anyone using it right now?”

 

Ted shook his head. The next presentations they had would be with local businesses and the suite wouldn't be used for at least another two weeks. “I don't think anyone's booked to use it for the next two weeks. Why?”

 

“Then it's booked now. Make sure Cynthia knows to make other arrangements if needed.”

 

“Sure,” Ted said slowly, not sure he understood why Brian was asking about the suite all of a sudden. Usually he left it to Cynthia and him to make all the arrangements for business partners. “Who will be using it?”

“It doesn't matter,” Brian muttered. “Just make sure that Cynthia knows it can't be used for the next two weeks, starting from tomorrow morning. Oh, and I need you to head to Northeast Airport tomorrow morning. At 9.30am.”

 

“Why?” Ted was confused but tried not to show it too much.

 

“I have a presentation at 10, so can't go myself,” Brian said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

“Okay,” Ted said slowly, still feeling confused. He knew that Northeast Airport was a private airport for private charter flights, and he wondered who could be coming in on such short notice on a private chartered flight. “Is this work-related?”

 

“Not exactly. And if you talk to anyone, I'll fire you! Make sure that you don't have to check in at the hotel and can go straight to the suite once you get there. Privacy is of the utmost importance.”

 

And then something clicked and Ted finally understood. “He's coming to Pittsburgh?”

 

Brian now looked up and held his gaze. “With his wife and daughter. I'll trust you not to tell anyone.”

 

“And you want me to pick them up? Me? He's a Prince for god’s sake,” Ted muttered, his eyes widening to comical proportions.

 

“See? That's how much I trust you. I am trusting you not to fuck this up, Theodore,” then Brian's voice softened. “He's just a man going through a hard time right now. Don't make a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be.”

 

Ted nodded slowly. “Okay... anything else?”

 

“I'll let you know if something else comes up,” Brian said, thereby dismissing him.

 

***

 

Ted was waiting in the small terminal, waiting for the familiar face to show up.


It was now 9.45am and he knew that a private jet from New York had landed a few minutes ago. It probably wouldn't be long now before he would meet the mysterious man that had stolen Brian's heart. And he would meet a fucking prince. A real prince!

 

He took a deep breath, looking around the empty terminal. There were two employees in the terminal with him, but no other guests for which Ted was grateful. And from what he had seen of the employees so far, they seemed more interested in their own business than in him. As far as he could tell, neither had even looked at him while he had been waiting.

 

Just as Ted contemplated that they might be able to leave the small airport without anyone knowing who exactly he was picking up, a door opened and he saw a young woman and a young man with a child in his arms enter the terminal. They were followed by an employee who was pushing a cart with some suitcases.

 

Seeing how he was the only person in the terminal, they immediately spotted him and made their way over.

 

Before Ted could say anything, Justin was already speaking, giving him a soft shake of his head. “Ted? I'm Justin and this is Daphne and this small one here is Lizzie, though she's feeling a bit shy right now.”

 

Ted had gotten from the small shake of Justin's head and his quick introduction that he probably shouldn't greet him formally as Ted had been contemplating doing, so he instead looked at the small girl in her father's arms that hid her head in his shoulder, hardly even looking at him.

 

“Say hi to Ted,” Daphne urged her daughter, but only smiled sadly when the girl shook her head in her father's arm.

 

“Hi Ted,” she then turned to the man, greeting him instead. “Thanks for picking us up. We could have just gotten a taxi or a driver.”

 

“Brian wouldn't have allowed for that,” Ted just said, knowing that it was true. “I am parked right outside. It's the BMW out front,” he directed at the employee, who then left them alone and already headed towards the car parked right outside the terminal with their luggage. Now that they were alone, he took a deep breath. “I... I have to admit that I am not quite sure how to address you. Your Royal Highness? I... I am sorry, but I've never met a royal before.”

 

Justin actually chuckled at that and a disarming smile appeared on his face, lighting up his features. “Justin, Daphne and Lizzie will be just fine. We don't really care all that much about all the pomp and procedures.”

 

Ted nodded, then led everyone to his car. “I hope this will do. Brian asked me to keep everything as low-key as possible.”

 

“This is fine,” Daphne assured with a smile, then tipped the airport employee once all their luggage had been stored in Ted's car.

 

“I didn't think to bring a car seat,” Ted suddenly announced, looking surprised by his own admission. “Maybe I can get one in there,” he nodded towards the terminal building, though he wasn't really sure where he would get one.

 

“Don't worry about it. I'll just take this little munchkin here and we'll be fine for the short ride into town. Won't we?” Daphne smiled as she took her daughter from Justin's arms, then got into the back of the car with her, holding her tightly. “I doubt she'd be willing to let go off me or Jus anyway,” she added once they had fastened their seatbelt.

 

Justin got into the back with them, assuring Ted that they would be fine.

 

A few minutes later they were headed into town.

 

“Brian told me you went to school here in Pittsburgh?” Ted asked, trying to keep some polite conversation going.


“God, yeah... That was years ago,” Justin replied. “St. James Academy.”

 

“I heard it's a good school,” Ted said, not quite sure what else to respond. He had gone to public school and didn't know anyone that had attended such a posh school.

 

“Not all that glitters is gold,” Justin just replied, his voice now sounding more sombre than before.

 

“It has a good reputation, but really, it's just a club for rich, spoiled, white kids. And everyone who isn't like them, who doesn't fit in... they'll have a hard time,” Daphne added. “I was so glad to be out of there.”

 

Ted understood from what wasn't said that neither had had a particularly happy time at the school, so he decided to change the topic instead.

 

“Have you been back to Pittsburgh much after you finished school?”

 

“Sadly no,” Justin replied, looking out of the window as they got closer to downtown. “Hopefully, it'll be nice to be back.”

 

“Brian got our corporate suite at the Fairmont ready for you. I already have the key cards, so we can go right up once we arrive at the hotel. As the suite is booked by Kinnetik, there will be no record of you staying there. Hopefully, that should ensure some privacy for you. I... I know that's one of the reasons you came here.”

 

“Thanks,” Daphne said, running her hand through her daughter's hair as she spoke. “We really appreciate that.”

 

Justin nodded in response but didn't say anything as he looked outside the window and watched the passing scenery.

 

When they got to the Fairmont, Ted went directly into the parking garage to a spot that was booked for their suite. He assured Daphne and Justin that he would get someone to bring their luggage up and just led them right into the elevator to their floor. They didn't even have to enter the lobby.

 

Once they arrived at the suite, Ted opened the door for them, then handed Justin the two key cards for the suite.

 

“I know it's not much, but... I hope you'll all be able to find some peace and quiet here. Room service is included and everything will be billed straight to Kinnetik.”

 

“No, we can...,” Justin started, but Ted held up his hand to interrupt him.

 

“I am sure you can, but this is how Brian wanted it.”

 

“And we all know how stubborn he can be,” Justin just said, rolling his eyes, before he smiled slightly.

 

“He really wants to help in whatever way he can,” Ted said sincerely, then lowered his eyes, knowing that it was not his place to say anything.

 

“And I appreciate it,” Justin replied just as sincerely. He then turned to Ted with a smile on his face. “Thank you so much for driving us, Ted. We really appreciate it. Brian has told me so much about you in recent years and I am happy that we finally got to meet. More than just looking at each other for two seconds that is.”

 

Justin chuckled then and for a moment Ted felt confused, not quite sure what he was refering to. Then he realised what Justin must have meant. “I have to admit that all I remember from that night is having to drive Emmett and Michael home. Brian was supposed to be their ride and had just ditched them.”

 

“Sorry for that,” Justin said, now smiling disarmingly again.

 

“It wasn't your fault that he ditched them like that,” Ted now smiled as well. “And really... it's not like we weren't used to that treatment from him.”

 

“God, that seems like such a long time ago. Another lifetime...,” Justin then said, looking up when Daphne joined them at the door to the suite again.

 

“What are you talking about?” She asked, looking at both of them with interest.

 

“That night you drove me to Liberty Avenue? When I met Brian?”

 

Daphne just rolled her eyes, then leaned into Ted conspiratorially. “And that's how Brian Kinney entered our life and never left it again.”

 

Ted just chuckled. “Yeah, he has that effect on people.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes when he looked at Daphne, then turned to Ted once more. “Like I said, it was really nice to meet you and thank you for picking us up. We really appreciate it.”

 

“Of course,” Ted just nodded, then turned to leave. “It was nice to meet you as well and I hope that you'll be able to get some peace and quiet here.”

 

 

They all said their goodbyes and Ted then left the young family on their own.