- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 13

 

Brian sighed as he heard Cynthia's voice on the intercom. It had been a hell of a day so far, not the least because he had hardly gotten any sleep the night before. After Justin had left, he had been left with his emotions all over the place, his heart and mind in turmoil and it probably hadn't been the smartest idea to change from beer to whiskey shortly after the younger man had left in a futile attempt to make him forget about how the night had played out.


“What is it?” he barked at her, not feeling like having anything else go wrong that day.

 

“There's a woman named Daphne here to see you. She says you know her. She doesn't have an appointment,” Cynthia went on, but Brian interrupted her at that point.


“It's fine. Send her in.”

 

He ran a hand over his face and wondered what Daphne could want here. Why was she showing up at Kinnetik all of a sudden?

 

A few seconds later the door to his office opened and Cynthia led Daphne into the room and pointed towards the desk where Brian was seated. He nodded towards the empty chairs across from the desk and watched as she sat down.


“Interesting office you have here,” she said as she looked around and took in the room. She frowned when she recognized shower knobs on the walls. “Are those shower knobs?”

 

“This used to be a bathhouse way back,” he replied. “I had it converted into office space when I first opened Kinnetik.”

 

“Oh...ok,” she said, nodding to herself. “Interesting.”

 

“Why are you here, Daphne? Not that I don't appreciate your visit, but it's been a hell of a day already,” he got straight to the point, not feeling like exchanging pleasantries with Justin's bestie.

 

“Justin told me about last night,” she said quietly, looking at Brian from sad eyes.

 

“And why does that end with you sitting in my office? He's your best friend, shouldn't you be by his side instead of here?”

 

“I thought we could both do with some time apart,” Daphne said diplomatically, but Brian had been able to hear what she hadn't said. They had fought. Most likely about him. Great.

 

Brian sighed. “He made his choice.”

 

“He made a mistake. That's what he did,” Daphne replied hotly, her voice rising.

 

“Well, mistake or not, he sounded pretty damn sure about it,” Brian shrugged.

 

“Did he tell you that we're leaving?” Daphne asked all of a sudden and Brian's eyes widened, telling her what she had already suspected. “Yeah, I thought so.”

 

“When?” Brian asked, not liking how small his voice sounded when he asked that question.

 

“We're leaving tomorrow. His mother summoned him to come home.”

 

“How long have you known?” Brian asked, not able to meet her eyes. He hated what he saw in them. Was that pity?

 

“Her secretary got in contact with his secretary yesterday.”

 

“Her secretary?” Brian frowned, not quite sure if he understood.

 

“That's how things are done in Justin's family. She is the queen. She hasn't spoken to him since any of this started and... she has her whole team of advisers that organize her whole life for her. Looks like they finally found some time to schedule in an audience with her son.”


Daphne's voice had been cold when she had spoken and Brian frowned at that.

 

“You don't like her,” Brian stated, rather than asked.

 

“That family is so messed up...you have no idea. How can a mother not speak to her son personally when he's been going through what Jus has been going through in recent weeks? How can she not check in with him and ask if he's okay? If her granddaughter is okay? All she cares about is her precious throne and legacy and how any of this will reflect on her. She has never cared about Jus. He is the heir to the throne and that's it in her eyes. It's his duty to become king one day, that's all that matters.”

 

“That's all very interesting, but Justin has made his choice and he was very clear. He doesn't want me in his life,” Brian said, not quite sure why Daphne was telling him any of this.

 

“You don't really believe that, do you?” Daphne raised an eyebrow and looked right at him. When he didn't reply, she just went on. “Of course, he does. He loves you! You're the best thing that has ever happened to him. I've never seen him happier than when he was with you. You're good for him!”

 

“Well, apparently it doesn't matter as he's set on following in his mother's shoes and becoming the next king... which doesn't allow for anyone to share his life with him...”

 

“He thinks he has to protect you from that life,” Daphne said quietly. “That it will destroy you if he allows you in.”

 

Brian sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I've heard all his reasons last night. Can we please not do this again?”

 

“He loves you, Brian. And I know that you love him. Don't let him make this mistake! It will destroy him...,” Daphne's voice had now taken on a tone of desperation and Brian frowned when he heard how emotional the young woman was.

 

“He made his choice,” was all Brian said. “What do you want me to do about it?”

 

“Convince him that you really mean it. That you love him and want a life with him,” Daphne almost pleaded, looking at him from serious eyes. “Don't let him throw away his happiness for his horrible family and a wrong sense of duty.”

 

“It doesn't matter what I want... I told him that I didn't care about who he really is, about his family, about his position... It didn't change anything. He's hellbent on going down that road.”

 

“He's making a mistake,” was all Daphne said, now sounding incredibly sad. “He will never be happy in that life. He never was... he has hated being a prince all his life. He has hated his position all his life, but now... these last few weeks... they've taken away all his will to fight for his right to live the life he wants, not the life they have planned for him. I hardly recognize him anymore.”

 

Brian could see the emotions on her face, could see how strongly she was feeling for her best friend, how much this bothered her and once again he realized how much Daphne really loved Justin.

 

“He didn't care when I told him last night that I wanted a life with him...”

 

“Convince him that he has an alternative, Brian. Convince him that there's more to life than pleasing his mother and taking the throne one day.”

 

“How do you want me to do that? He asked me not to contact him anymore...”

 

There was an uncomfortable silence between them for the longest time before Daphne replied with tears in her voice. “I don't know... I just don't want him to throw away his life for something he has always hated.”

 

Daphne hadn't stayed much longer after that, thanking Brian once more for all he had done for them, for letting them stay at the Kinnetik suite and for having brought happiness and love into her friend's life.

 

After she had left, Brian had been left with many uncomfortable thoughts, wondering if there was anything that he could do.

 

“Theodore? Come to my office, now!”

 

***

 

Over the next two weeks Brian hadn't heard from either Justin or Daphne. He had read some things in the press, none of which had sounded particularly good.

 

There had been an official press release from the palace of Darumor, announcing that in light of recent events, Prince Justinus would step down from his royal duties for the next two years, giving him and his wife the time to focus on their divorce and the upbringing of their daughter under their new, changed status as divorcees.

 

Normally Brian didn't follow royal news and gossip and couldn't have cared less, but now he had started to read every article he could find.

 

Royal experts had pretty much commented that the two-year break from royal duties was the last resort to keep any further harm from the brand of the royal family of Darumor. According to them, Justin had harmed the family’s legacy with this scandal and his coming out and removing him from any royal duties would be damage control. Out of sight, out of mind.

 

The announcement from the palace had said that his break from royal duties would be re-examined once the two years were over, but many royal experts were sure that this was pretty much a permanent dismissal from the royal family.

 

According to royal experts, this two-year time frame had only been included, so the royal family wouldn't come off as homophobic and wouldn't lose the approval of younger, more open-minded citizens of Darumor, but at the same time having Justin stay away from any royal duties for the next two years would appease the more conservative, catholic citizens of the country.

 

In two years time, people would hopefully have forgotten about this scandal and whatever decision would be made then, wouldn't cause too much press attention. Or so the palace thought.

 

The fact remained though that Justin had more or less been kicked out of his family for the major offense of being gay. And while Brian wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing, he knew that it wouldn't be anything that would make the younger man feel better about himself. He had heard Justin's talk about besmirching the family name, about how he couldn't bring any more shame to the crown and if that was any indication, Justin was probably feeling like shit right now.


Personally, he thought this might be a blessing in disguise. After everything Justin and Daphne had told him, he couldn't see any harm in being away from that family. As far as he was concerned, this was the best that could have happened to Justin. The heavy burden of kingship was off his shoulders now and he could finally focus on his own life, his own happiness. Maybe, with a bit of time and distance, Justin would even see that he now had a chance at the life he had always wanted.

 

Brian sure hoped so. His whole plan was built on that assumption.

 

***

 

Brian looked up in relief when he saw Justin walk towards his car in the hotel parking garage. It had taken a lot of texts and much help from Daphne to get Justin to agree to come to Pittsburgh once more, but in the end, he had and now he was here.


He was staying at the Kinnetik suite once more, having arrived from New York earlier that day, though Brian hoped that he wouldn't be staying at the hotel any longer. Not after he had seen what Brian had done in recent weeks.

 

It had been four weeks since they had last seen each other, three weeks since the announcement from the royal family in Darumor had been made and Brian could immediately see how stressed the younger man still looked as he slowly opened the door to Brian's car.

 

He got in wordlessly and turned to Brian with an annoyed expression. “Brian,” he started, but Brian just shook his head.

 

“Shut up, Sunshine, okay? Just don't say anything until you've seen what I need to show you.”

 

“Brian, I don't appreciate you and Daphne ganging up on me like that...,” Justin said anyway, making it clear that he wasn't happy.

 

“Just wait, okay? There's something I need to show you and I want you to look at it. If you still feel the same way afterwards, you'll never hear from me again,” Brian said seriously, before he started the car.

 

“What do you need to show me?” Justin looked confused and frowned when Brian led the car out of the parking garage.

 

“You'll see. Just lean back and relax.”

 

Brian then headed towards the interstate and drove them about 20 minutes out of the city before he left the interstate and turned in the direction of West Virginia.

 

“Where are we?” Justin asked, looking at the unfamiliar area from confused and slightly annoyed eyes. “What is this?”

 

“Just trust me, okay? It's only a few more minutes and then you'll see.”

 

“See what, Brian?”

 

Much to Justin's annoyance Brian didn't reply though and just drove them into a small town, then took a turn and drove towards the edge of the town, into a residential area that was filled with big mansions, some looking to be at least 100 years old. Soon after they left that residential area as well and drove into a more remote area of town.

 

“When you said there was something you had to show me, I didn't think it would be in West Virginia.”

 

“It's less than half an hour out of Pittsburgh,” Brian said seriously, then drove through a gate and headed up a lane that ended in front of a big Tudor-style mansion and stopped the car. He got out and Justin reluctantly followed him and exclaimed a quiet. “Wow” as he looked at the mansion in front of him.

 

“Wait till you see the tennis court. And the pool. And the stables,” Brian said as he headed for the door.


“Stables?” Justin asked and continued in obvious confusion. “Who lives here?”

 

“We do,” Brian said, leaving it at that.


Obviously, that didn't help Justin's confusion at all. “What?”

 

“I bought it,” Brian went on, then turned towards the main door of the house.

 

“You bought this house?” Justin asked as he followed Brian inside.

 

They took a tour of the ground floor and looked at some of the rooms, before they ended in a big study that had a fire going in the fireplace.


Justin was still looking around the room as Brian began to speak again.

 

“I know you said that I didn't understand anything about your life, that I didn't really know you and your life.”


Justin stopped walking around and turned to look at Brian.

 

“I understand though that you want a life away from all the press attention, away from prying eyes. I understand that you want a quiet life, a quiet place where you can focus on your art and live the life that you have always dreamed of for yourself. I'd hoped that this place could be it.”

 

“Brian,” Justin started, but the older man just went on as if he had never interrupted him. “I told you...”

 

“You can't be with me. Yeah, I know. And who could blame you? I am, without a doubt, the worst candidate for any type of relationship alive. I have never been in one, have no idea what I am getting into, but, conversely, I think that's also the reason why I'm the best candidate to start this relationship with.”

 

When Brian stopped, Justin started walking around the room once more and looked at him questioningly. “And how's that? You don’t do relationships. And you definitely don’t want to get into one with me…you don’t understand what that would entail, Brian.”

 

“Because, as strongly as I was opposed to the idea of being in a relationship for years, now that I'm behind it, I am as fervently and passionately committed.”

 

“Uh-huh. And what changed your mind?” Justin asked, not sounding at all convinced by what Brian was saying.

 

“I finally thought of one good reason to be in one,” Brian said seriously.


“And what is that one good reason?”

 

“To prove to the person that I love how much I love him. That I would give him anything, I would do anything, I'd be anything to make him happy,” Brian said seriously.

 

“You're fucking unbelievable,” Justin shook his head in disbelief.

 

“It's true. I am.”

 

“You bought this? You bought this palace?” Justin asked, clearly still struggling to understand what was happening.

 

“It's for my prince,” Brian said seriously, before he went on. “I'm also selling the loft and the club. I realize that I might not know what your life is like, but even I know that owning a gay night club might not be smart for someone who wants to be in a relationship with a royal.”

 

“Without even knowing what my answer would be?” Justin now sounded utterly amazed.

 

“I'm taking a chance on love.”

 

“Then you really mean it?” Justin asked, looking at Brian from shining eyes. “You really want to be with me? Despite who I am?”


“I've never meant anything more. I want to be with you, Justin! I get that your life is complicated, but I hope that maybe... here, away from prying eyes, we can figure it out together. I want to see you happy again. I want to see you smile again. And I think you could be really happy here if you only allowed yourself to be,” Brian said quietly, looking at Justin from sincere eyes.

 

Justin stayed quiet for the longest time and just looked into Brian's eyes. What he saw there was total honesty and above all love. So much love. Brian really loved him and wanted to be with him, no matter who he was and he had gone as far as to buy him this palace in the middle of nowhere that would allow them to live in privacy away from prying eyes.

 

He considered everything that Brian had been saying, forced his mind to stop questioning if this was wise or not and finally gave in to his heart, a heart that had been guiding him in this direction for weeks, if not months.

 

“Okay,” he finally said.

 

“Okay?” Brian asked, not sure what Justin was saying, not daring to hope that Justin was saying what he was hoping he was saying.

 

And then the biggest sunshine smile broke out on Justin's face. “Let's do it. Let's try and build a life here. Together.”

 

“Say it,” Brian urged, still not ready to give in to the feeling of happiness that was slowly spreading through his whole body. He needed to hear Justin say it once more.

 

“Yes,” Justin said, the biggest smile on his face.

 

“Yes, what?” Brian asked, now smiling as well.

 

 “Yes!” Justin repeated, then took a step closer to Brian. He pulled the older man closer, running his hand through Brian's hair as he continued speaking. “Yes, I will move into this mansion with you. Yes, I will have a relationship with you again. Yes, I will live here with you and will be the happiest man alive knowing that you're by my side, no matter what.”

 

He then closed the distance between them and kissed Brian softly. They kissed for a few seconds, then broke apart, never letting go off each other's embrace. Justin saw the look on Brian's face and frowned.

 

“What? Don't tell me you're already having second thoughts,” he said and Brian could easily hear the insecurity in Justin's voice.

 

He looked at the younger man, drank him in and then smiled slightly.

 

“Not one.”

 

And as he said it, he knew that it was the truth. Whatever life had in store for them, they would master it. As long as they would be together, as long as Justin believed in them, believed in him, allowed himself his own personal happiness, they would be fine. Brian just knew it. He then closed the distance between them again and started kissing Justin once more.

 

At first gently, then the kiss slowly turned more passionate.

 

Within minutes they had both gotten rid of their clothes and were making love in front of the fireplace.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I couldn't resist using the dialogue from that episode - it fit so nicely with the 'for my prince' line ;)