- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone for your comments - they are much appreciated :)

And sorry for the delay in getting this chapter up. I am having massive issues accessing this site at the moment (works fine with my mobile data on my phone, but not with the much faster WIFI at my laptop at home or my work computer and it's only this site, no other - very weird!)

 

Chapter 23

 

Three days later Brian and Justin arrived in New York. They were planning to stay in the city for four days and Brian had scheduled a couple of business meetings on the first two days they would be in town.

 

On the third day Justin's show would open and after that, nobody knew what would happen.

 

Brian had talked to Cynthia and Ted and had prepared them for the kind of media attention that would most likely be coming Kinnetik's way. Ted had already known about Brian's relationship with Justin and hadn't nearly been as shocked as Cynthia had been. Once she had gotten over the shock of finding out that Brian was actually in a relationship and in a relationship with a prince from Europe to boot, she was all aboard and came up with a crisis plan for Kinnetik.

 

They all expected that the company would be fine, that most of their clients wouldn't care about Brian's life as long as their campaigns were still as edgy and successful as ever, but you never knew.

 

Cynthia would have a staff meeting at the end of day on the day Justin's show would take place and would hand out guidelines to all employees on how to handle media inquiries in case they were contacted by the media about this news.

 

From there they would just wait and see and go with the flow.

 

Brian had met with Lindsay and Melanie before he and Justin had left for New York and had informed them of what would happen as well. Neither woman had been really happy about the upcoming turn of events but both knew that this was a private affair in Brian's life and there wasn't anything they could do about it.

 

They agreed that it would be best for Brian to talk to Gus and to prepare him for what was coming his way and Brian did.

 

It had been one of the hardest conversations he'd ever had with his son, but Gus had been a real trooper. He loved Justin and he knew about Justin being a prince and he was more angry at the news for not leaving his daddy's partner alone than anything. He promised both Brian and his mothers that he wouldn't talk to anyone about Justin and if anyone came up to him and asked him questions, Gus would just say that they should talk to one of his parents.

 

Much like with Kinnetik they tried to prepare things as well as they could but in the end they would just have to wait and see how things played out.

 

Once they arrived in New York, Brian could immediately sense a change in Justin. He got more nervous and short-tempered from the moment they had arrived in the city and Brian tried his best to support Justin and calm him down as best as he could.


He was secretly glad when the day of Justin's opening finally arrived and they could finally get it over with.

 

On the way to the gallery, they had been picked up in a car that Justin's agent had organized for them, Justin was very quiet and looked out of the windows at the city lights passing by.

 

“It's going to be okay, Sunshine,” Brian said quietly, taking Justin's hand and squeezing it in his own.

 

Justin turned to him and looked at him from sad eyes. Brian was glad when he saw a small smile spread on his face as he nodded and gave a very quiet. “I know.” in reply.

 

“Come here,” Brian whispered, pulling Justin closer and giving him a gentle kiss. “We're going to be fine.”

 

“I know,” Justin repeated. “I am just overthinking things. I always do...Don't mind me.”

 

Brian ran a hand over Justin's arm and watched the younger man in his black suit. “You look beautiful, you know?”

 

And Justin did. He was a vision in black. Which went perfectly with his light complexion, his blond hair and blue eyes. He looked amazing and Brian once again felt lucky to have Justin by his side as his partner.

 

“You're not too shabby yourself,” Justin returned the compliment. And it was true. Brian had gotten a new Armani suit the day before, insisting that there was no reason not to go shopping when he was in New York and it fit him like a glove, highlighting his best features.

 

“We'll dazzle them all with our good looks, we'll be the highlight of the opening,” Brian joked, glad when it had the desired effect and Justin actually laughed in response.

 

“I have no doubt,” the younger man just said as the car pulled up outside the gallery.

 

***

 

The show had been a success and Justin's paintings had sold out in minutes after it had opened, but no one had really cared about that.

 

In hindsight it made Brian sad that there had been so little focus on the artwork and everything everyone had talked about had been his appearance at Justin's side. It wasn't like they had expected anything else, but Brian had only realized after the show was over and when the first reviews and articles came in how much it bothered him on Justin's behalf. Justin had put so much heart and blood into these paintings, so much hard work and all everyone had talked about had been Justin's appearance with a date.

 

The first day had been pretty eventful. Pictures of them both walking the red carpet hand in hand and images of them from the show, showing them in conversation, laughing and smiling were plastered on every internet website in the world.

 

At first the headlines had been about Prince Justinus and his mysterious partner by his side before the media had been able to identify Brian and the reports had started to name “prominent, gay businessman Brian Kinney from Pittsburgh” as the prince's companion.

 

It had only taken until the end of that first day before first reports about Brian's questionable past, in this case his time as the stud of Liberty Avenue appeared and even though neither Justin nor Brian were really surprised by those articles, they were still surprised by the intensity with which the media tried hounding them for more images and information.

 

The phone in Justin's New York apartment was ringing non-stop with media inquiries and in the end they left it off the hook.

 

Brian was glad when they were ready to leave New York the next day and were about to return to Pittsburgh. At least at Britin they would have their privacy behind its closed gate and walls.

 

Pictures were taken of them as they headed to the airport and were immediately published all over the internet.

 

Prince Justinus and his partner were the only topic anyone seemed to care about.

 

Things got a bit better once they arrived in Pittsburgh, mostly because Pittsburgh didn't have such an active community of paparazzi as New York had, but once Brian checked in with Ted and Cynthia, he wasn't surprised to hear that Kinnetik was drowning in media inquiries and requests for a statement.

 

They had also had a couple of calls and emails from business clients who were worried about the kind of impact this news coverage of Brian and Kinnetik might have on their accounts and in the end Brian decided to head to Kinnetik. He was needed at his company and Justin more than understood.

 

While Justin headed home to Britin, Brian headed to Kinnetik.

 

Some reporters waited outside its doors and immediately started firing questions his way, mostly of a very personal and sexual nature, not at all related to his business and Brian ignored them all as he headed inside.

 

Inside phones were ringing non-stop and his employees looked more than stressed.

 

“It's been a madhouse all day,” Ted said when Brian had summoned him to his office.

 

Cynthia joined them a minute later and together they came up with a statement that Kinnetik would release officially on their website, hoping that it would at least end some of the media inquiries.


Once they had debated the wording and approved it, Brian called Justin to get his approval as well. After all it would be a statement about their relationship, so he wanted Justin to be onboard as well.

 

Shortly before end of business that day, they uploaded the statement to their website, a short message saying that yes, Brian was in a relationship with Prince Justinus and had been for a while, yes, they lived together and were trying to build a life together and no, they would not comment any further and would not comment on any of the media coverage out there that was concerned with Brian's private life and his past.

 

They made it clear that there would be no further comment from either Kinnetik, Brian or Justin and hoped that after the weekend was over things would quiet down a bit and the company could return to focusing on their work.

 

Brian called a couple of their biggest clients, trying to personally calm them down and comment on the current media coverage and thankfully most of them seemed pretty understanding once Brian assured them that this would have no effect whatsoever on their accounts.

 

He then headed home and hoped for a quiet weekend.

 

By Sunday the media had found his mother and sister and both had seemed only too happy to give exclusive interviews about the kind of arrogant bastard that Brian was. They loved telling the world how he was most likely a millionaire but couldn't be bothered to support them while they were struggling financially.

 

Neither Brian nor Justin had really been surprised by this turn of events, but Justin knew how much it hurt Brian anyway.

 

In light of the media still hounding the gate outside Britin, Brian and Justin decided not to attend Sunday dinner at Debbie's house.

 

They knew that the journalists would only follow them in their car and would then start hounding Debbie and their friends and family as well.

 

Debbie was sad but understood and promised to send some food home their way. She also made them promise that she would see them for next week's dinner and that they wouldn't let the press win.

 

Monday morning Brian decided to head into the office as normal and he was glad to notice that there were only a handful of journalists left at the gate when he left Britin. That was only half of the number that had been gathered there on Friday and Saturday.

 

At the office Ted informed Brian that things slowly – very slowly – seemed to quiet down a bit but that they were still receiving interview requests, especially in light of what Brian's sister and mother had said to the press.

 

Kinnetik once again repeated their earlier stance that there would be no further statements and they would not comment on any of the news coverage in the media right now.

 

Brian even got some work done that day.

 

When he returned home that evening, he was glad to hear that Emmett had been over to visit Justin and had spent some time with him.


Emmett had been able to cheer up Justin and Justin seemed a lot less stressed than he had earlier that morning when Brian had left. Brian made a note to thank the big queen in person the next time he saw him.

 

The next day, Brian was surprised when Daphne showed up at Kinnetik unannounced. Cynthia sent her to Brian's office and Brian couldn't hide his surprise when he saw her.

 

“Is everything okay at the house?”

 

Daphne nodded as she sat down across from Brian's desk. “Yeah, things are pretty quiet there. Justin is spending some time with Lizzie and when I left there were only 2 reporters outside the gate.”

 

“What are you doing here? Not that I am not happy to see you, but I thought you would be hiding away at the house,” Brian said next, watching the young woman who had also become a good friend to him in recent months. The more he had gotten to know Daphne, the more he had realized how smart she was and most importantly what a good friend she was to Justin and how important she was to him.

 

“I think we should go out to lunch,” Daphne said as if that would explain everything.

 

“Uhm okay... I am sure I can get Cynthia to order something for us. What do you like?”

 

“No, I mean... I think we should go out to lunch in a place where we will be seen. You and I,” she explained, looking at Brian intently.

 

“I thought we had agreed to lie low,” Brian said, confusion showing on his face. Lying low had been their battle plan. They had all agreed before he and Justin had left for New York. If they just lay low and didn't comment, the media would soon enough lose interest in a European prince from a country that half the Americans had never heard of anyway.

 

“And we will. We're not going to say anything, we're not going to release any statements or comment on anything. We'll just go out for lunch.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I think it's important for us to be seen together. For people to see that there is no animosity between you and I. I am officially still Justin's wife, you are his current partner. If the media sees us out together getting on well, it will shift media coverage to our advantage, I am sure.”

 

Brian pondered Daphne's words and knew that she had a point. There had been much speculation about the state of affairs between Justin and Daphne, what with their divorce proceedings and everything and no one had seen Daphne in as long as they hadn't seen Justin and now suddenly Justin appeared with a new partner by his side, of course the media was asking how Daphne as his former wife would feel about that. A straight wife that now had to find out that her husband was gay and had a gay lover.

 

“Justin won't like it,” Brian pointed out, knowing that it was true. Justin wanted to ignore the media as much as was possible and he wouldn't like Daphne and Brian going out and actually posing for pictures.

 

Daphne sighed and nodded. “I know, but I think right now this is what's needed. They make you look like the evil monster that came in and destroyed our marriage. They need to see that it's not like that. If they see that we get on well, they will have to stop writing stories that way. It won't sell, not if the images tell a completely different story. Justin doesn't have to know that it was all planned. As far as he's concerned, I was at a meeting with the dean of admissions today and now I am checking in with you to see how you're doing and we decided to have lunch together as two friends sometimes do when they meet.”

 

“I will not lie to him,” Brian said, making it clear that was not an option.

 

“Fine, we can tell him it was all an elaborate plan then. As long as we don't get Lizzie involved, there's not much Justin can complain about, right? I really think it will help in the long run, don't you?” She looked up at Brian and met his gaze.

 

Brian thought some more about the plan and knew that Daphne was right. It would help them in the long run. It would completely destroy a whole avenue of incorrect media reports in one go. Something that would make their lives easier in the long run and maybe even in the short one.

 

In the end Brian nodded. “Okay, let's go out for lunch then.”

 

Brian informed Ted and Cynthia that he would be out for lunch and left with Daphne. They made sure to use the front entrance of Kinnetik and to be seen together as they got into Brian's car.

 

They then headed to Papagano's and had made sure to drive slowly enough for the reporters to get into their own cars and follow them.

 

Once they parked and got out at their destination, they were happy to see some of the reporters coming their way and taking images and they were both smiling as they entered the restaurant.

 

The food was good, conversation flowed easily and after an hour, Brian and Daphne left. The reporters were still waiting for them and took more pictures of them heading to Brian's car and Brian being a gentleman and opening the door for Daphne and helping her inside.

 

They then headed back to Kinnetik where they were once again photographed as they hugged and kissed goodbye before Daphne headed to her own car and headed home to Britin.

 

Before Brian left the office at the end of the day, the images of his lunch with Princess Daphne had already been all over the internet. And as neither of them looked angry, quite on the contrary, they both looked relaxed and happy, both smiling as they went about their day, the media had to ask if maybe Princess Daphne and Prince Justinus' new partner weren't as at odds as had been reported previously.

 

When Brian arrived home, he wasn't really surprised to find Daphne and Justin in a heated discussion.

 

“Don't even try to defend yourself,” Justin said angrily as he glared at Brian when he came into the kitchen.

 

“Defend myself for what?” Brian asked, though he knew very well what Justin and Daphne were talking about.

 

“You and Daphne going out for lunch,” Justin said as if Brian was stupid. “Why would you do that?”

 

“Well, you know, Sunshine, people have to eat. They need to take in food to supply their bodies with energy and vitamins and all that kind of stuff. And today I did it in the lovely company of Daphne.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Don't try to be smart, Brian.”

 

“Then what do you want me to say?”

 

“I thought we agreed to lay low,” Justin said, now sounding confused more than anything.

 

“It was just a lunch, Jus. No harm done,” Daphne tried to convince Justin that it was no big deal.

 

“Daphne is right. We thought it might be a good idea to steer some of the conversation away from the land of myths it has recently moved to and we thought it might help in the long run.”

 

“Help, how?” Justin asked, shaking his head. “You gave them exactly what they wanted.”

 

“No, we gave them the truth which is not what they want. These images will make it impossible for them to write any shit about any kind of animosity between Brian and me. Between you and me. What better proof is there that things are okay and not as they have been writing for days?” Daphne asked, looking at Justin.

 

“You gave them the little finger with these images and now they'll come back wanting the whole hand,” Justin said, sounding utterly exhausted and as if he had already made the same point over and over.

 

“Daphne is right, Sunshine,” Brian said quietly, walking over and resting a hand on Justin's shoulder. He could feel the tension in the younger man. “We just had lunch together and that way shut down a whole avenue of incorrect reporting about our private lives.”

 

“You played into their hands by giving them more images. How are they ever going to leave us alone if you two go out and stage these pictures?” Justin said accusingly as he looked from Brian to Daphne and back.

 

“Jus, I think in the end it will do more good than harm,” Daphne said seriously. “It's a give and take and we just gave them something very innocent that will help us in a big way. We didn't invite them into our house or anything. We just went out for one lunch together.”

 

“You should have told me about your plan before you put it into motion,” Justin said accusingly. “I hate it when you two gang up on me like that.” With that he turned around and left the kitchen, leaving Brian and Daphne on their own.

 

“I am sorry, Brian. I tried to explain it to him, but he won't see our point,” Daphne said sadly.

 

Brian just nodded at her. “Don't worry. I'll speak to him.” And then Brian left the kitchen as well and followed his sunshine.

 

He found him in his studio, looking at a blank canvas.

 

“Sunshine...,” he started, slowly walking over and wrapping his arms around the younger man.

 

“I mean it, I hate it when you two gang up on me like that,” Justin repeated, not leaning into Brian's embrace.

 

“I know, I am sorry,” Brian said sincerely, turning the younger man around and looking at him. “We didn't mean to hurt you. We both thought it was the right thing to do. A small thing to do to get some room to breathe...”

 

“Brian, they will only come back for more,” Justin said once more, looking at the older man imploringly. “Now they know that you're willing to play their sick game.”

 

Brian sighed, running a hand through Justin's hair. “I spoke to Drew earlier, asked him for his advice.”

 

That seemed to surprise Justin and his eyes widened slightly in response.

 

“He agreed with Daphne. Dealing with the media, dealing with paparazzi... it's a give and take. If we start playing their game, we can play it to our advantage.”

 

“How can it be to our advantage if we have paparazzi following us wherever we go?” Justin asked incredulously.

 

“They would follow us anyway, let's be honest about that. I know you hate the truth of the statement, but they will,” Brian said seriously.

 

“They never did in New York. We were able to live a very quiet life. No one cared about the prince of a small European country. No one even knew me.”

 

“I know, but that was... before... now everyone knows you and they'll always know you because you're the first gay royal in the world,” Brian explained calmly.

 

“I didn't ask for any of that. I just want our life to go back to what it was,” Justin muttered hanging his head.

 

“I know, but... let's be real here. It won't. At least not for a while. So the better we learn to play their game to our advantage, the easier things will be.”

 

“I don't see how.”

 

“Things like today... the images today didn't hurt anyone. But they will have a big effect and will help us in the long run. People will now know that Daphne and I get on well, that there is no animosity between her and me, between you and her and will move on from all those stories about custody fights and god knows what... And having them take those images today, it wasn't exactly an invasion of our privacy either. We gave them what they wanted and no one got hurt,” Brian continued to explain.

 

“And now they will want more,” Justin repeated.

 

“And we can decide what we are willing to give them. We can decide what parts of our life we are willing to show and share. And as long as we share some parts, even if it's just at public events like your show or whatever... it will make them back off at other times because they'll know that we're out there and available. If we would hide away, every time we leave here, they'll come and hound us because you as the gay royal from Europe will still be a novelty. But if we give them some appearances every once in a while, if we give them something... people will get used to seeing you that way and in a while it won't be big news anymore. If you don't believe me, speak to Drew. I know you hate being the first gay royal that's openly out, but... he was the first gay football player to come out and even though it's not the same, he knows what we're going through, Sunshine. And look at him and Emmett now. They can live their lives the way they want to because everybody is used to him being the gay football player with the gay boyfriend by his side. Isn't it worth giving this a shot, just to see if it might work out for us as well the way it did for them?”

 

Justin hung his head and leaned his forehead against Brian's chin. “I hate when you make so much sense,” he mumbled.

 

“It's one of the reasons why you love me,” Brian teased, making Justin look at him. “My incomparable intelligence.”

 

“Incomparable, huh?”

 

“Admit it, you love when I am right,” Brian smirked, happy when a small smile broke out on Justin's face.

 

“I hate it, but I love you, so I guess I'll have to find a way to cope.”

 

Brian leaned in and softly kissed Justin. “Are you really pissed because we went to lunch together?”

 

Justin shrugged. “I guess I just would have liked to be included in your little scheming.”

 

“I am sorry, Sunshine. Daphne and I didn't mean any harm by it. It was just an idea she had, it sounded sensible and we wanted to see if it worked out. She's pretty smart,” Brian ended, clearly impressed by Justin's friend.

 

“My SAT score was still higher than hers,” Justin immediately gave back making Brian laugh out loud.

 

“Okay, thanks for that information.”

 

“Just saying,” Justin smirked, before he leaned into Brian's embrace again. “I know I overreacted. I just... I hate this... I never wanted this to be my life.”

 

“I know, Sunshine. And believe me, I wish I could change things, but for now, we can just try to make the best of it, okay?”

 

Justin nodded, knowing that Brian was right. And really, it wasn't Brian's fault or Daphne's fault they were even in this situation. It was because of him and who he was, so really, he was the last person who had any right to complain. Brian didn't and his life had been turned upside down in recent days, Daphne didn't and her life had been turned upside down in the last six months as well, but they never complained. They just stuck by his side and tried to think of ways to make things easier for him. Maybe it was time he did the same. Maybe it was time he stopped moping and actually started doing something. Maybe Brian was right. Maybe Daphne and Drew were right. Maybe they could find a way to make the best of their situation without the media becoming too big a part of their lives.