- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone for their comments - they're much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 24

 

 

Over the next week things calmed down even more and Brian had finally been able to get some real work done at Kinnetik.

The next Sunday they also returned to Debbie's for their usual family dinner and it was really nice to see everyone again.

 

Hopefully they would finally be able to return to a semblance of a normal life.


During dinner it had been hard to miss that there was definitely some tension between Melanie and Lindsay. It was obvious that there had been a fight or disagreement but both women tried to act as if everything was alright.

 

Since Gus didn't mention anything, Brian assumed that it was just a normal tiff between partners in a relationship and didn't give it much more thought.


That was until Melanie showed up at Kinnetik the next day, demanding to see him.

 

As she usually tried to stay out of his way on the best of days, Brian assumed that this was really serious and agreed to meet with her.

 

“I didn't expect to see you again so soon,” Brian said as he sat down in his chair behind his desk.

 

“Shut it, Kinney. We need to talk.”

 

“Charming as always,” Brian muttered as he rolled his eyes. “What about?”

 

“Lindsay's parents.”

 

“What about them?” Brian frowned. He hadn't heard anything about the Petersons in years so was quite surprised to hear that whatever Melanie needed to speak to him about concerned them.

 

“They want to see Gus.”

 

“I am surprised they even remember that he exists,” Brian said and meant it. The Petersons had never cared much about Lindsay's relationship with Melanie or about Gus. Ever since Lindsay had moved out of her parents' house with Gus all those years ago after the Auerbach affair and their attempt to set Lindsay up with one of their country club friends' son, he didn't think he had heard anything about them still being in contact at all.

 

“Of course they do... now that your name has been plastered all over the news. How could they not remember that you are actually his father?”

 

Brian frowned. “You think this is about me?”

 

“Why else would they contact Linds now and would want to see Gus now? They haven't cared in at least seven years. Why now if not because of you and your connection to Justin?”

 

Brian had to admit that she had a point even though he didn't like it. “You think they would stoop that low?”

 

Melanie shrugged. “I am sure they're trying to score points with their country club friends and what better to help than a connection to an actual royal?”


“Only that there is no connection. They haven't been in touch with Lindsay or Gus in years,” Brian pointed out.

 

“Well, they are now and they want to meet Lindsay and Gus.”

 

“And what does this have to do with me?” Brian asked, understanding why the Petersons might want to become a part of Gus' life all of a sudden but not understanding why Melanie was coming to him.

 

“Lindsay doesn't want to see what they're doing... she believes her parents wouldn't just use Gus like that and that they are really interested in building a relationship with her and Gus.”

 

And now he knew what the tension at dinner had been about the night before. Melanie had probably told Lindsay the same she had told him only that Lindsay had disagreed and had gotten offended. Though Brian didn't really know why. Her parents were homophobes, conservative and had never accepted Lindsay's lifestyle. Why that should change all of a sudden, especially at a time when Gus suddenly was connected to a royal, didn't make sense to him. It was more than obvious to him what the Petersons were trying to do and he wondered if Lindsay really couldn't see it or didn't want to see it.

 

“And now you need me on your side to convince her?” Brian guessed.

 

“I need you to stop her from going ahead with that dinner. You are Gus' father. Tell her you don't want him to meet her parents,” Melanie said.

 

“I am not sure I can. I mean, they are Lindsay's parents and Gus' grandparents,” Brian pointed out.

 

“And you don't care that they just want to use Gus to get a better standing in their country club crowd?” Melanie's temper was rising and Brian could see it.

 

“Of course, I do. I just don't think there is anything I can do to stop her,” Brian muttered, then looked at Melanie. “Look, I will talk to her, okay? See if I can make her see sense.”

 

“Thanks, that's all I am asking,” Melanie nodded. “I just don't want Gus to be used like that.”

 

“And neither do I,” Brian agreed.

 

They talked a couple more minutes and then Melanie left as she had a meeting with a client at her law firm.

 

Brian ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He wondered if his life would ever calm down again.

 

***

 

“Linds, I know you want to believe that they're really interested in you and Gus, but aren't you the least bit suspicious about their timing?” Brian asked again, looking at his friend from pleading eyes.

 

“You and Melanie need to calm down. Not everything is about you... or Justin,” she added as an afterthought. “This is about my parents wanting to meet with me and my son.”

 

“And why didn't they want to meet before? Why don't they want to meet JR, but just Gus?”

 

“Brian,” Lindsay sighed. “This is a start. I can't expect them to immediately accept JR and Melanie as well. They know that Gus is my biological child. It's a start.”

 

“Lindsay, your parents are not interested in you or Gus! They just want to boost their standing with the country club crowd and you know it. I won't allow them to use our son like that,” Brian said, his voice deathly calm.


“Brian, you have no right to stop me from taking my son to meet my parents,” Lindsay said equally calm. “You took him to meet Justin without my or Melanie's consent. So don't come here now and act like this when you introduced Gus to people without letting us know before either.”

 

Brian's eyes widened. “Are you for real? Justin is my partner. Of course Gus would meet him. That's hardly the same.”

 

“And they are my parents, Gus' grandparents. So I definitely won't need your permission to take Gus to see them.”

 

“You really don't wonder why they are reaching out now? After all this time?”

 

“I am just glad they are finally ready to become a part of Gus' life,” Lindsay said and Brian felt like slapping or throttling her.

 

“Lindsay, they never accepted your life. They never even acknowledged Gus as their grandson. Don't let them lull you in with their lies. They are reaching out now because they heard about my relationship with Justin and now think that they can boost their standing in their country club crowd by announcing to be the grandparents of a prince's stepson.”

 

“Gus is hardly Justin's stepson,” Lindsay said next, running a hand through her hair. “By the way, does Justin think he's very secretive when he attends his own art shows like that?”

 

“What?” Brian was slightly taken aback by Lindsay's change of topic.

 

“Oh please, I know that he's Justin Taylor. We all know that you went to New York to attend his next show and then you appear at the opening for Justin Taylor's New York show, the most secretive artist in years, an artist who nobody has ever seen and knows what he looks like.”

 

“What does that have to do with anything?” Brian asked, shaking his head in bewilderment.

 

“I've asked him before and he always gave me evasive answers when it comes to his art, but since you told everyone that you would be attending his show, it's really quite obvious, isn't it? I have to say, it's interesting that he's not ashamed to use his own royal status to boost the sales at his shows,” Lindsay simpered.

 

“Justin's art has nothing to do with what we're talking about here, Linds. His art is his business and his alone. Not yours, not mine, not anyone else's,” Brian said calmly, too calmly.

 

“Hmm, I have a feeling the art world would feel quite differently. Everyone has been dying to find out more about Justin Taylor.”

 

“What are you saying, Lindsay? Are you threatening Justin?” Brian's voice was still deathly calm, but his eyes glared at her.


“Oh Brian, please. Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't.”

 

“Then why bring it up?” Brian asked her, still glaring at her.

 

“I was just trying to make small talk,” Lindsay said innocently but Brian knew that she wasn't. This had been an indirect threat to expose Justin Taylor's real identity and Brian had understood it as such.

 

“Gus will not meet your parents. That's my last word,” Brian only replied, then turned around and left.

 

***

 

“Brian, calm down,” Justin said, running his hand over Brian's arm as he got more and more agitated.

 

“Are you not worried?” Brian asked, looking at Justin.

 

“She's right, we are the ones that told everyone that we would be heading to my show. This was bound to get out,” he just shrugged. “I mean it's not really rocket science to figure out.”

 

“I don't trust her with that information,” Brian said imploringly, wanting Justin to understand why what Lindsay had said bothered him so much.

 

“Neither do I, but there's not much we can do about it now,” Justin sighed. “If it comes out, it does. We'll deal with it. We've dealt with worse and the world finding out that I have exhibited artwork under an alias will be less of a scandal than other things they found out about me this year,” Justin said reasonably.

 

“How can you be so calm about this?” Brian asked in slight amazement.

 

“I am honestly more concerned about Gus,” Justin admitted, looking at Brian from worried eyes. “I agree with you and Melanie. Something is off here. Why would they reach out now after all this time when they haven't cared about him or her in years? This can't be a coincidence.”

 

“It's not,” Brian grumbled. “They want to use Gus to show that they have a connection to you. They want to use that to boost their cred with the country club crowd.”

 

“I doubt that being connected to me would improve anyone's standing in a country club. It's not like I am particularly well respected right now, Brian.”

 

Brian looked at Justin and ran a hand through his blond locks. “You're still a royal though. You're still a prince.”

 

“Not as far as my family is concerned,” Justin pointed out, looking at Brian sadly.

 

“But you still have the title,” Brian argued. “And that's all that matters to these people.”

 

“I don't know,” Justin mused. “I have publicly been kicked out of my family. Not much good knowing me will do them.”

 

“But you're still a prince and right now you're one of the most famous people in Pittsburgh. Why else would they reach out now?”

 

Justin stayed quiet for a few minutes. When he spoke again his voice was quiet. “I know, the timing looks really suspicious, but what if we're doing them wrong and they really want to build a relationship with Gus?”

 

“Sunshine, you don't know them. They are conservative as fuck, fucking homophobes that have always looked down on Lindsay's and Melanie's relationship. They paid for three weddings for Lindsay's sister, but couldn't be arsed to even show up to Lindsay's wedding, saying it wasn't a real wedding as they were lesbian.”

 

“Do you think they might have changed?” Justin asked.

 

“I doubt it. And why now? Days after my name was all over the news. This is not a coincidence, Sunshine. I just wish we could prove it to Lindsay, so she would see once and for all what assholes her parents are,” Brian muttered darkly.


“Maybe we can,” Justin said after silence had settled between them and he had been deep in thought for several minutes. “I think I have an idea.”

 

***

 

“Lindsay, honey, you look beautiful. Brian, good to see you again,” Mrs Peterson simpered as she watched Brian and Lindsay sit down at their table.

 

Brian had spoken to Lindsay again and had insisted that he wanted to meet her parents first before he would agree to let Gus see them.

 

He and Justin had told Melanie about their plan and she had been all for it, so had supported Brian when he had insisted on this meeting.


Knowing that Brian also had parental rights and that Melanie was also Gus' mother, Lindsay finally gave in and agreed to this lunch, if only to get Melanie and Brian off her back. She still thought that both of them were ridiculous to doubt her parents like that and she would just enjoy hearing their apologies once they would have to admit that they had been wrong and her parents had really been interested in getting to know Gus.

 

“Mommy, Daddy! It's so good to see you again,” Lindsay said happily, smiling at her parents.


“Mrs Peterson, Mr Peterson,” Brian nodded at each of them before he sat down as well.

 

Mr Peterson nodded in return, then spoke once everyone was seated. “Why so formal? Call us Ron and Nancy, please.”

 

“Sure, Ron. Nancy,” Brian nodded again at each of them and wanted to strangle them when he saw their fake smiles. “It's so nice of you to agree to this lunch. I have to admit that I was quite surprised when Lindsay told me that you wanted to meet Gus.”

 

“Brian,” Lindsay hissed at him, throwing him an angry glare.

 

“Oh Lindsay, please,” Nancy said, still smiling that fake smile of hers. “You can't blame Brian for being honest.”

 

“It's just that the timing seems a tad bit suspicious,” Brian shrugged, giving her the same fake smile she had been giving him for a few minutes now.

 

“Suspicious? I am not sure I understand,” Ron now said, looking at Brian intently.

 

“Well, you haven't really cared about Gus in years, haven't reached out or anything. At least I can't remember Gus ever mentioning Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Ron to me. When's the last time you saw him?”

 

Nancy looked a bit uncomfortable, but was still smiling when she replied. “Well, to be honest, you're right. It's been a while. Too long, for sure. We're trying to make up for that now.”

 

“Brian, please. Stop right now,” Lindsay said, obviously quite angry.

 

“Well, call me naive, but it just seems like too big a coincidence that you suddenly want to be a part of Gus' life now that you know who he is connected to.”

 

Brian was glad when he saw a glint of acknowledgment in Ron's eyes which was quickly gone again and hidden behind a polite smile.

 

“I am not sure I can follow,” Ron said innocently.


“Brian,” Lindsay now hissed again. “Not everything has to do with you and Justin.”

 

“Oh, but Lindsay, this has. Wouldn't you agree? Ron? Nancy?”

 

“Who is Justin?” Nancy asked, pretending to be confused but she wasn't nearly as good an actress as she thought herself to be and Brian knew that she knew exactly what and who he was talking about.

 

He still smiled sweetly at the Petersons as he pulled an envelope from his suit pocket and opened it. He pulled out some papers and studied them intently.

 

“Really? You don't know? I am surprised. Just last week you told the Hobbs that your grandson would now have access to the most elite private schools in the country because of his connection to my partner. Prince Justinus,” Brian added as an afterthought. “Though you seemed to know him quite well last week when you had lunch with the Hobbs at the country club. After all you were so sure that he would ensure that Gus would get into whatever school we wanted.”

 

Lindsay's eyes widened and she looked at Brian as if he was joking. “Brian?”

 

Brian chose to ignore her and kept his gaze fixed on the Petersons as he moved on to the next page. “Or what about the McCluskies? When you told them that the prince was a really good influence on your grandson and would give him access to royal families all over Europe.”

 

Lindsay looked from her parents to Brian and back. Ron and Nancy were now squirming in their seats.

 

“Or when you spoke to the Richters and told them that you couldn't wait to be invited to the palace and to meet the queen,” Brian went on, reading from another page. He then put the papers down and turned to the Petersons. “You know what's funny? Neither my partner nor I can remember speaking about schools for Gus. And even less planning a visit to his family in Europe. And you know what my partner told me as well? That he is very sure that he has never even met you and has definitely never discussed our private life with you of all people.”

 

“Brian,” Nancy started, looking at him intently. “I am not sure where you think those statements are coming from, but I can assure you that Ron and I would never...”

 

Brian interrupted her at that point. He picked up the papers and waved them around. “These are signed affidavits and at this moment our lawyer is considering whether or not to use them in a lawsuit against you.”

 

“A lawsuit?” Ron raised an eyebrow and eyed Brian as if he was crazy. “Don't be ridiculous.”

 

“Ron, we have several more signed affidavits. It seems like you really loved speaking about my partner and Gus' connection to him to your country club friends. Certain claims that have been made by you about my partner are blatant lies and we will not accept you spreading lies about him,” Brian said calmly.

 

“I don't know who you think you spoke to, but those people are lying,” Ron replied, looking at the papers in disdain.

 

“You know, Ron? You don't have to worry that your friends ratted you out. They haven't... But it was hard for other people not to overhear what you had to say.” Brian pushed back his chair and stood up. “I think we can all agree that you only meant to use Gus and aren't really interested in him at all. If you ever try to use him in this way again, the lawsuit will be filed and we will be certain to let the media know that you have never even met my partner and never ever will. Try explaining that to your friends at the country club. I think we can all agree that you will never meet Gus. Don't even think about it!”


With that Brian turned around and left a stunned Lindsay and equally stunned Petersons.

 

“Mommy? Daddy? Is what he said true?” Lindsay asked after she had been able to calm herself down enough. “You only wanted to show off because Gus is connected to Justin?”

 

“Lindsay,” Mrs Peterson said, her smile now gone. “Don't act so surprised. Due to your newfound connection to Prince Justinus, everything has changed.”

 

“Just think what a connection to a European royal family could mean for our business,” Ron added, not seeing how his daughter was getting angrier with every word they said.

 

“I hate you! Both of you! Mel and Brian tried to warn me about your sudden interest in Gus but I told them they were being ridiculous...How could you?”

 

Nancy eyed her daughter coldly. “How could we? Do you know what this could do to our family's standing at the country club?”

 

“That's all you care about? Your fucking country club?”

 

“Language, Lindsay,” her father admonished. “There's no need for language like that.”

 

“Don't ever contact me again! If I ever hear from you again, I will personally tell all your friends that you're dirty liars.”

 

With that Lindsay got up as well and followed Brian out of the restaurant. She had never in her life felt that humiliated before. As she headed towards the door, tears ran down her face. Tears of shame and embarrassment. Embarrassment that she had fallen for her parents' crap once again.

 

***

 

“Your plan worked, Sunshine,” Brian said, a huge smile on his face.

 

“Of course it did. You're not the only smart one in this relationship,” Justin chuckled, happy that everything had worked out as they had planned.

 

It had been his idea to start looking at the Petersons' conversations at the country club and it had been his idea not to try with their friends but with the waiting staff at the club. If they were really like Melanie and Brian said they were, there was no way they wouldn't have shown off with their new connection to Justin at the country club and while their friends might have stayed quiet and not sold them out, the staff surely would.

 

Justin knew from experience that most rich people hardly paid attention to the waiting staff around them and had noticed more than once how haughtily some rich people treated staff. He also knew that waiting staff heard a lot more of what was going on in other peoples' lives than they let on and once you offered them enough money, they quickly forgot their allegiance to people that most likely treated them like shit anyway and would talk.


And they had.

 

It had taken Melanie two days to find two waiters who had been willing to talk for a small payment and while they hadn't exactly signed affidavits, they sure as hell had talked and had told Melanie what they had heard the Petersons say.


Brian had exaggerated a bit about the affidavits and the lawsuit, but it had gotten him to where they needed to get: For Lindsay to see her parents for who they really were. For her to see that they hadn't miraculously changed and weren't interested in her all of a sudden.

He knew that Lindsay would be hurt, but he believed that in the end it would be better for her to realize the truth now than to only find out after rebuilding a relationship with her parents.

“She's coming out now. I'll call you back later, okay?”

“Okay,” Justin agreed, now sounding sad. “Don't be too angry with her. She just wanted to believe that her parents had changed.”

 

“I know,” Brian sighed, then muttered a quiet 'later' before he hung up.

 

He watched as Melanie got out of the car and made her way over to Lindsay, taking her in a hug and holding her wife close.

 

Justin had insisted that Melanie should be there to comfort Lindsay once she knew the truth and Brian had agreed. He was bad at comforting someone on the best of days and really, he wasn't sure if Lindsay would want to be comforted by him of all people after he had exposed her parents like that.

 

Melanie had waited in Brian's car, had waited for him to come out and now that Lindsay had come out as well, it was for her to comfort her wife, who Brian could see was crying and hanging on to Melanie as if she was a lifeline.