- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone for your comments - they're much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 25

 

Brian had stayed a few more minutes until he was sure that Melanie had everything under control. He had then left the two women on their own, allowing them to work through this mess on their own.

As it was his weekend with Gus anyway, he went to Gus' school and picked up his son, then headed home to Britin.

 

When they showed up for Sunday dinner at Debbie's two days later, Brian wasn't really surprised to see that Lindsay wasn't there. Melanie had excused her by saying that she was suffering from a migraine, but had later told Brian that Lindsay had felt too embarrassed to face him and Justin.


Brian had sighed and knew that he needed to talk to Lindsay to fix things with her. She was his friend and she was Gus' mother. He didn't want her to avoid him and Justin for the rest of her days.

Yes, he thought that she had been stupid to fall for her parents' crap, but he couldn't really blame her. She was just another member of the LGBTQI+ community that was looking for her parents' love and acceptance. She wasn't the only one and she wouldn't be the last one to hope and believe that her parents had finally accepted her.

 

Before Brian managed to find some time to talk to her though, Justin had found the time. Not that Brian had known.

 

Justin had decided to talk to Lindsay, knowing that a talk was needed and that sometimes Brian could come off as rather unsympathetic to someone's feelings. Not because he was, but just because he didn't really care much about feelings and emotions and could act at times as though people who succumbed to them were weak. He thought he was stronger than that and usually just went about ignoring his feelings and emotions which Justin knew was mostly an act anyway. At the end of the day Brian was just like any other human being and had feelings as well.

 

Justin felt like he needed to explain his part in all that had happened and needed to make sure that Lindsay knew that he didn't think any less of her because of this.

 

He was walking around the Sydney Bloom Gallery and took in the impressive artwork on the walls. He studied several paintings and was so engrossed in a big canvas by a young expressionist that he didn't notice Lindsay making her way over.

 

“Justin? Is that you?”

He turned around and smiled at her. “Hi, Lindsay.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Lindsay asked and her voice was maybe a bit more hostile than it should have been.

 

“Both Brian and Gus have told me so much about this gallery and I have heard so many good things about the Bloom Gallery that I wanted to come by and see for myself,” he shrugged.

 

Lindsay looked at him and it was clear that she didn't believe what he had just said. “I am sure...”

 

“No, really. I've wanted to come here for a long time but the last few weeks have been really hectic. First getting everything ready for the show, then what happened afterwards... it just didn't feel like a good time,” he said with a small shrug.

 

Lindsay just nodded then turned to the painting. “You like this? It's from an up and coming new artist that Sydney discovered last year. He has an amazing eye for colors.”

 

“It's impressive,” Justin nodded. He had been looking at it for several minutes already and still felt like he noticed something new every time he turned back to it. “I wish I could make the colors pop like that.”

 

Lindsay's eyes widened and she turned to Justin. “You're kidding, right? Your art is some of the most impressive art on the market in recent years. And it's amazing how you cover both impressionism and expressionism.”

 

Justin smiled shyly at the compliment. “That's kind of you to say... but I know where my limitations are as an artist.”

 

“I saw your latest pieces and read the reviews for your show. Those were breathtaking,” Lindsay said, honestly impressed.

 

Justin chuckled. “I am surprised you found a proper review what with all that gossip that was published after the show.”

 

“Art Forum isn't too big on gossip,” she just shrugged. “They did a nice story covering the show.”

 

Justin nodded, having been sent that review by his agent. “I think Simon Caswell just likes my ass to be honest.”

 

Lindsay's eyes widened. “Oh, does he know that... you know... that you're Justin Taylor?”


Justin shook his head. “No, he doesn't. Only a handful of people know, but he likes me attending those shows and he likes to oggle my ass. Especially at this show. Not sure if he thinks he will have a chance with me now, seeing how I am gay.” The younger man shrugged. “I think some of his reviews have been more favorable though than they should have objectively been because he thinks I might be the artist's muse.”

 

“He certainly has a reputation,” Lindsay said, turning back to the painting. She took a deep breath, then turned back to Justin. “Justin, I... I need to apologize to you.”

 

Justin frowned as he met her gaze. “What for?”

 

“Last week... I was really angry with Brian and I think I might have said some things... about you and your art career that... I probably shouldn't have,” she hung her head after she had finished.

 

“Yeah, Brian told me,” Justin sighed.

 

“Oh, he did?” Lindsay frowned, then hung her head even more.

 

“He was worried what you might do and wanted me to be aware in case... you did something with that information...”

 

Lindsay nodded slowly, then ran a hand through her hair. “I am not proud to admit it but I was thinking about it for maybe a second... but... I would never do that to you or... anyone.”

 

“Thanks, Lindsay. I appreciate that honesty,” Justin said sincerely.

 

She sighed once more. “I was angry at Brian and wanted to lash out and... I knew that lashing out at you would hurt him. I shouldn't have and I wish I could take it back.”

 

“You really need to apologize to Brian, not me, Lindsay,” Justin said quietly. “You told him and he was the one affected by your words.”


“I know,” Lindsay said slowly, shaking her head as if to clear her thoughts. “I am just so ashamed... so embarrassed. I know that he thinks I am stupid for falling for my parents' bullshit. I know that he thinks I should have seen right away what their plan was...”

 

Justin turned to Lindsay and looked at her intently. “He doesn't think you're stupid. He knows why you wanted to believe them and he understands. We all do, Lindsay.”

 

She shook her head once more. “No, I should have seen this. Everyone warned me. Mel, Brian... They both tried to warn me, but I was too stubborn to take a step back and really look at what they were saying.”

 

“You just wanted your parents to love and accept you. I think all of us can understand that, Lindsay. We've all been there one way or another...,” Justin said sadly.


Lindsay nodded, knowing that he was right. Everyone had read about his family pretty much kicking him out of the family for being gay, she knew about Brian's parents and how his father and mother had reacted once they had found out that he was gay on top of everything else. She knew about their friends, about Emmett's experiences in Mississippi and thanks to her work on the board of the GLC she had heard more than one heartbreaking story about someone being kicked out of their family for being homosexual.

 

“I just wish...,” she took a deep breath before she went on, “I just wish that you, Mel and Brian wouldn't have needed to go to such extremes. I feel so embarrassed.”

 

Justin smiled at her, an open and kind smile. “You have nothing to be embarrassed for. You wanted your parents' approval and they turned out to be assholes. I am sorry that you got put into that position because of me. If it weren't for me, they wouldn't have acted like that and wouldn't have lied to you.”

 

“Oh, I am not blaming you,” Lindsay immediately said. “If it hadn't been you, it might have been someone else or for some other reason. It was long overdue that I closed that door for good and I think... I think I finally have.”

 

Justin watched Lindsay and saw that she seemed calm and at peace about her decision. Not happy and he knew that there was still hurt and pain, but she seemed genuinely at peace which was good.

 

“I know you don't particularly like me, Lindsay. And I can't blame you. I have pretty much turned Brian's life upside down and by extension that also goes for Gus. I wish... I wish it hadn't been like that.”

 

Lindsay sighed once more. “I will admit that I had problems in the beginning accepting that Brian might have started a relationship with you, but... that was not about you. I would have had the same doubts about anyone else... He just never seemed like the type and I think,” Lindsay smiled ruefully, “I had this image of him in my head and when he told us about you and moving in with you, that didn't go with the image I had in my head. But now... after months of seeing you two together, after seeing you two make it through the last few weeks and all the attention that came your way... I can see how happy he is. How much he loves you. How much Gus loves you. You are good for both Brian and Gus, Justin. I am sorry I wasn't able to accept that earlier, but... let's just say I have had a couple of enlightening days.”

 

Justin nodded, then smiled. “Thanks, Lindsay.”

 

They talked a couple more minutes before Justin left.


When he told Brian about his meeting with Lindsay, the older man had been surprised, but had also seemed relieved.

 

A couple of days later he went and visited Lindsay at home and talked to her about what had happened with her parents. By the time the next Sunday dinner came around at Debbie's, Lindsay joined the rest of her family again and for the first time Justin and Brian felt like she really accepted them and was open to the idea that there was a them. There were no more snide remarks from her and she started to treat both Justin and Daphne with more respect.

 

Brian only hoped that this Lindsay would stick around. He liked her a lot better than the bitchy, jealous version of his friend that they had had to deal with before.

 

***

 

12 months later

 

Brian smiled as he saw Justin dancing happily with Emmett. His sunshine was smiling from ear to ear and looked happy and relaxed. He was shaking his hips with Emmett as his dancing partner and really seemed to enjoy himself.

 

“Hands off, Honeycutt,” Brian yelled over the loud music and he knew that Emmett had heard him but had pretended not to. He had seen the smirk on his face and had also seen the look Justin had given Emmett before they had moved closer together.


He sighed, but knew that it was all in good fun. Justin and Emmett loved dancing together, they were both enthusiastic on the dance floor and could still dance hours after Brian and Drew had lost interest. They were perfect dance partners and Brian knew that Justin enjoyed these nights at Babylon with their friends.

 

Brian couldn't help but be amazed at how far they had come over the last year. He could still remember how scared Justin had been about public appearances after he had first come out and after they had first made their relationship public, how scared he had been especially about being seen in a gay nightclub, but over the last twelve months much of that had changed. And most of it because Justin had truly become a part of Liberty Avenue. He was part of the community now and the community embraced him fully as one of them.

 

It had taken time, but the longer Brian and Justin had been together, the more Brian had been able to coax Justin out of his shell and to get him to open up in public.

 

The first steps had been visits to Kinnetik. Brian could still remember how nervous Cynthia had been the first time Justin had shown up at the office, asking if it was possible to see Brian. Calm, collected, professional Cynthia had been totally out of her comfort zone, but Justin had quickly been able to charm her and by the second time he came to see Brian at the office, she already treated him like a family member that had always been part of Brian's life.

 

Then there had been the first visits to the diner with the gang. Justin had been nervous about being seen out and about on Liberty Avenue, but Brian had promised him that it would be okay. They would just be going out to a diner for food and the food at that diner was so bad that Justin would love it.

 

And he had. He had enjoyed the colorful clientele, the quips and banter and also the food. He had complained to Brian about him acting like the food was gross when it was really great food. He loved the burgers and shakes and had that much in common with Gus. His two boys loved going to the diner, so Brian soon started to regret ever having talked Justin into going to begin with. Neither Justin nor Gus would ever understand good food.

 

The first time Justin had been to the diner, Brian had noticed how conversation had pretty much stopped all around them and how it had become eerily quiet after Justin had shown up, but it had only needed one comment from Debbie and that had been it. Brian would never forget how she had glared at everyone.

 

“What? You aren't bothered by a bunch of queens putting God knows what into your mouths, but one real prince and your mouths are suddenly glued shut?”

 

After that, conversation had slowly picked up again and that had been that.

 

Brian would never forget the sixth or seventh time they had been at the diner. It had been a really busy day and Kiki had called in sick, so Debbie was all alone. When they had come into the diner she had already apologized that it would take her a while to get around to their table, but she promised she would try to come and take their orders as quickly as she could.


They had sat down and had both heard the various complaints from various tables. People asking where their orders were, other people complaining that they hadn't been able to order yet, others complaining that there were still dirty plates and glasses on their tables. It was utter chaos and Brian didn't envy Debbie.

 

She told them that Danny, the guy filling in for Kiki was stuck in traffic and would probably only get there in about another hour.

 

And then the most amazing thing had happened. Justin had gotten up, had grabbed an apron from the counter and had started clearing some of the tables, picking up dirty plates and glasses. He had asked Debbie where to take the dirty dishes and she had just looked at him wide-eyed.

 

“Sunshine... no. You can't.”

 

He had just smiled at her with his sunshine smile and had said. “You need help, so stop complaining. Where should I take these?”

 

She had nodded towards the kitchen at the back of the diner and had watched utterly perplexed as Justin had made his way over there and had dropped everything there to be cleaned.


Brian had been just as amazed as Debbie as he had watched Justin come back, clear another table and then pick up a cloth, a bucket with water and some detergent before he had started cleaning the tables.


Justin had helped Debbie until Danny had shown up and had then taken off his apron without another word and had sat down across from Brian again.

 

“You are amazing, do you know that?” Brian had shaken his head in disbelief that Justin had really done the job of a busboy for the last hour.

 

“Why? She needed help,” was all Justin had said as if it had been the most normal thing in the world for a prince to get up and help cleaning tables in a diner.

 

The story had spread like a wildfire on Liberty Avenue, but funnily enough had never made it into the news.


It had been one of those moments that had shown the Avenue that Justin was one of them, a part of their community and not some stuck-up, rich royal.

 

Brian could also remember the time Justin had heard Lindsay and Ben talk about the GLC fundraiser at family dinner and how he had asked them what the GLC was and what fundraiser they were talking about.


So Ben and Lindsay had told Justin all about the work the GLC was doing, how they were trying to get enough funds to start a pre-school and school for children in LGBTQI+ families that might otherwise be bullied in public schools and still able to remember how he had been bullied at private school, Justin had immediately gotten invested in the idea.


He had offered to donate a painting for the fundraiser and had offered to show up, to raise some media attention if Lindsay and Ben wanted him to.

 

And that was how Justin had become involved with the GLC. He had donated some artwork under his Justin Taylor alias, had given some interviews to local media to raise awareness for the fundraiser and due to his work with the GLC – something that still made Brian shudder, thinking about all the other desperate fags at the GLC – Justin had also become more involved in LGBTQI+ issues and campaigning in general.

 

He had soon started raising public awareness against certain Props on the Pennsylvania ballots and had helped Ben and Melanie in their campaigning for or against certain candidates.

 

Justin had gotten really invested and had started handing out flyers all over Liberty Avenue, he had joined protests against anti-LGBTQI+ legislation and had used his public image to raise awareness for issues in the LGBTQI+ community.


All of that had only helped increase Justin's standing in their community and Liberty Avenue now officially considered him to be one of theirs.

 

People appreciated how down to earth Justin was, how he was really invested in causes and got his hands dirty fighting for equality and representation. He didn't just donate money, but he really went down to the ground and talked to people, handed out flyers, attended protests and fundraisers.

 

Of course he also donated, probably only Brian knew how much Justin had donated in recent months to causes that meant a lot to him. He had donated to the GLC, had donated to several political campaigns as well as donating to Blake's rehab clinic because he was really impressed by the work Blake and his colleagues were doing every day.

 

And unlike other celebrities, Justin had never advertised his campaigning or used it to improve his image. He didn't have any social media channels where he posted PR-friendly images of himself handing out flyers or the likes. He just did the work without expecting anything in return.

 

Liberty Avenue had appreciated all his hard work and in return had made Justin one of theirs. By now he knew more people on the Avenue on a first name basis than Brian did and they both knew that their interactions on the Avenue were safe and would never make it into the news.

 

The Avenue considered Justin as one of theirs and protected him.


Brian would never forget the second time they had been at Babylon and had been dancing. He had only found out from Ted a day later that there had been an incident with an out of town guest who had recognized Justin and had been so amazed to see him in a gay dance club that he had gotten his phone out and had started snapping pictures of Brian and Justin as they were dancing.


Even before security had made it to the guy to ask him to delete the images, he had been surrounded by five angry queers that had taken his phone and had deleted the images themselves, telling the guy to get lost.


No one would exploit Justin – not on Liberty Avenue.

 

Once Brian had heard about that, it had warmed his heart. He was glad that people were appreciative of everything Justin was doing for them and that they were paying him back in their own way.

 

Justin had opened up so much in the last year, had become so much happier and Brian knew that part of that was because he was able to finally live the life he wanted. As a normal man who loved his daughter, his partner and was able to work for the causes he cared about. Liberty Avenue had given Justin that freedom and Brian would always be grateful for that. He had never seen Justin that happy and relaxed before and tonight was just another reminder of how much their life had changed ever since Justin had moved to Pittsburgh.


Brian picked up the two bottles of beer, then made his way through the crowd towards his Sunshine. Justin immediately turned to him with a big smile and took the offered bottle of beer. He leaned into Brian's embrace and gave him a quick kiss.


“Thanks.”

 

“You're welcome, Sunshine,” Brian whispered, before he kissed Justin once more, grinding their bodies against each other.

 

“Missed you,” Justin said, leaning some more into Brian's embrace.

 

“I was only gone for five minutes,” Brian said, then nodded at Emmett. “And you had company.”

 

“He just doesn't compare to you,” Justin said seriously, before he closed the distance between them once more and kissed Brian again.

 

Oh yeah, he really loved this man. And he wouldn't change a thing about him.