- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my first time trying first-person. If I mess up from time to time I'm sorry. 

 

 

 

 

“If I don’t get the boards for the Barstate account I’m going to start firing people and I’ll start with you,” I yelled at Tommy from Art department before slamming the phone down.

Three huge meetings this week, a fuck up on the temp receptionist’s part. There was definitely an aneurism in my near future. The agency wasn’t even two years off the ground yet. Already had beaten Vance at his own game, the bastard tried to screw me over once that fucking chief found out I was gay. That took care of itself, his ex-partner on the force took his own life and took him along for the trip.

The door opened and the red-faced lead of the art department came in with the storyboards he should have finished hours ago.

“It’s about time, Tommy.”

“My name is Jake, Tommy quit last month,” the man said, he was breathing pretty hard, he must have run the whole way. Good.

“I thought I remembered Tommy being darker and wearing a dastār. Show me what you have. Next time don’t take so long.”

“Don’t worry, we have an intern starting today. He’s from PIFA, I’ve seen his portfolio, he’s good. He’s really talented and smart to boot.”

“At least someone will be.” Tommy didn’t move. “This is where you leave, Tommy.” The man huffed and walked out the door.

“It’s Jake,” Tommy said as he left.

Looking at the boards, I realized the new boards were shit. After a few corrections, I rang for someone from the art department to come back and collect the boards with my changes.

A few minutes later someone tapped lightly on the door. “I can’t bitch you out while you’re out there, get in here.”

Instead of anyone I knew, it was a shaggy blond twink. He was in jeans and an ugly sweater that looked like the boy’s mom bought it for him. This intern was hopeless, too bad he was hot even in ugly clothes.

“What the fuck took you so long? I don’t have all day, take this back to Tommy. I’ve made the corrections I want.” The twink looked at me like I was crazy. “Well?”

“Mr. Kinney?” The confused face did not go away.

“That is the name on the door. Geez, are you what they are calling smart these days?”

“I’m sorry, I think you’ve mistaken me for someone who works for you. If I were unlucky enough to be working for you my first stop would be HR. You should be the hostile workplace poster boy.”

Who did the blond little twink think he was talking to? I could buy and sell him if I wanted. The kid looked like he was living in a cardboard box on the street. Most people were intimidated by me but the twink was looking at me like he was examining a bug under a microscope.

“If you don’t work for me what the fuck are you doing here?”

“I asked the receptionist who owned the corvette in the parking lot.”

“It’s not for sale.”

“Yeah, about that…I kind of hit it.”

Time stopped. What the fuck did the kid just say? He hit my present to myself after getting my first major account for my own agency. This was a dead kid.

“What the fuck did you say?”

The boy had the decency to look ashamed. “In case you didn’t notice, it’s pouring down outside. I pulled into your parking lot to let it pass. I accidently turned too soon and scrapped your passengers’ side and knocked off the side mirror.

“I’m going to sue your ass for everything you have.” Rage, complete rage was all I felt.

The boy put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a set of keys and a wallet. “Here it is. I have a rusted ’73 Cutlass and 15 dollars in my wallet. I don’t have any credit cards and only have 44 dollars in my bank account.”

“Please god, tell me you have insurance.”

The boy started to bite his lip, not a good sign for me. “Well, I did…until last month and I had to bail my boyfriend out of jail for panhandling. He wasn’t even panhandling, he was preforming. He does that to make extra money, the owner of the store near him called the police. The cops didn’t even care about the truth. I ended up having to pay the bail with my car insurance money. It lapsed.”

“That’s fucking great. How do you expect to pay me to get my car fixed?” I could easily pay to fix it and I would because I knew this little asshole wouldn’t be able to afford it.

“Guess a blowjob won’t even cover the tax,” the kid said.

That was interesting, the kid was hot. Not my usual type. He was small, blond, and young. I liked young but out of high school young. I liked my freedom more. I didn’t fancy having my dance card filled up in the state penitentiary.

“You can’t fix everything with a tight ass and fuckable mouth. That’s going to cost me thousands to fix. If you think you’re worth that you majorly overestimated yourself.”

The kid rolled his eyes. “I was joking. I would never cheat on my boyfriend. We’ve been together since we were fifteen.”

Counting down in my head was the only think keeping me from strangling the kid who hit my car. Talking about his boyfriend and poorness, like he didn’t do the damage.

“I repeat…how are you going to pay for the repair?”

“My grandmother told me last night she has a cold. She’s pretty old, she may not get better.” The boy paused and then frowned, looking upset all of the sudden. “I didn’t mean that, I don’t want her to die.”

I rolled my eyes now; this kid was too much. Maybe if I call security, they could rough him up and I would at least get some satisfaction out of the whole ordeal.

“I’m calling the cops.”

“No, please. If they find out I don’t have insurance they’ll charge me.”

“That’s my problem how?”

The blond was panicking now, I could see it in his face. “I’ll do anything. Please, don’t call the cops. I came in and told you when I could have just driven away.”

That was true but I still didn’t like it. “How much do you make at your job?”

His shoulders sagged. “Yeah, about that…I had to take a week off without notice. I was fired last week.”

“Christ, kid.” This kid was a freaking walking after-school special on the danger of stupidity.

“Justin. Justin Taylor, not kid.”

“I know I’m going to regret this. I’ve got a busy few months ahead. Why don’t I hire you temporarily until you can pay for the damages.”

“What kind of job?” he asked suspiciously.

“I need a Personal Assistant; my office assistant is much too busy and important to do things like getting my coffee or picking up my dry cleaning.”

“I need every Thursday off.”

Little fucker, here making demands after I give him a hand up. “Why?”

“That’s my business, I’ll work weekends if you need but Thursday is non-negatable.”

“If I have to fire you, you’ll regret it. Understand?” The twink nodded. “Go down the hallway to the right, at the end of hall is the HR/Payroll. They’ll get take care of your paperwork.”

“Thank you, sir.”

After the twink left I called Mary in Payroll to get everything ready for him to start. I have a feeling I’ve just made the biggest mistake of my life.

Later at the diner I decided that I needed to back out of the deal. There was no reason I should help the kid out. It was the kid’s fuck up. The world is a tough place and the sooner he realizes he can’t use his pouty mouth and big blue eyes to get out of serious trouble the better.