- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It’s Devils’ Night and Justin is missing. Brian’s panicked, and Michael’s innocent act is failing miserably…


Title: Things That Go Bump In The Night…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 6408
Warnings: Anti-Michael
Beta Queen: Bigj52


Summary: It’s Devils’ Night and Justin is missing. Brian’s panicked, and Michael’s innocent act is failing miserably…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…


Things That Go Bump in the Night

Chapter One - Where’s Justin…

In the early morning hours of Halloween…
Brian’s pacing - angry, frustrated, but most of all worried. He talked to Justin yesterday morning before he left for work, and they agreed to meet for dinner and then go to Babylon. But he never showed. Now it’s now almost 6 am and still no word from him. He’s called Justin so often that his voicemail is now full. He stomps over to the liquor cabinet, and grabs the almost empty bottle of Beam. Hearing Ted clear his throat, he thinks better of it. He’s had more than enough, and another drink isn’t going to change the situation. Ted’s just as worried, maybe even more so, because Blake’s never stayed out all night. He’s always mindful about keeping Ted updated on his whereabouts, and he always calls when he’s going to be late.

“Do you think we should report them missing?”

“Really, Ted? Do you think they’ll put out an amber alert? They’re not children, they’re grown men!”

Brian thinks. ‘Grown men acting like children!’

“Maybe we should just let Horvath know what’s going on.”

Just then the loft phone rings. Brian grabs it, not even saying hello first. He shouts, “where the fuck are you!”

“I’m at the diner, asshole! Where’s Justin? He’s late for his shift, and this place is packed. There are even people standing in line on the street. He knows how busy this place gets on Halloween. Half these fags have been up all night putting on their makeup, and getting into their costumes.”

“I don’t think he’s going to make it in today, Deb.”

“Bullshit! You tell Sunshine to get out of bed, wash his face, brush his teeth, and get his ass down here! I know he doesn’t work here anymore, but he promised he’d help out today.”

“He’s not here, Deb.”

“What do you mean he’s not there? Did you two have a fight?”

“No! Not at all. We had plans to meet up for dinner last night. But… But he never showed.”

“Justin’s missing?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know where he is, and it’s not just Justin. Blake’s missing too.”

“What? Blake’s missing too? Do you think they’re together?”

“I really don’t know, Deb. I hope they’re together. That way they’d have each other if they’re in trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?”

Brian’s so frustrated he shouts, “I Don’t Know!”

“Okay. Okay, I’m sending Carl right over.”

“Thanks, Deb.”

Debbie goes to the counter to talk with Carl. The cook rings the bell, placing a breakfast order on the counter. Debbie automatically boxes them up and sends them off with Carl, ignoring the table of drag queens complaining that she just hi-jacked their breakfast.

After hanging up, Brian starts to make a pot of strong coffee. He doesn’t need Carl thinking he’s drunk, and overreacting. He decides to jump in the shower, he needs all the help he can get to clear his head. By the time Carl gets there, both Ted and Brian are freshly showered and drinking coffee. When Carl enters the loft they both look exhausted. It’s obvious that they’ve been up all night. They’ve both cleaned up, and Ted actually looks good dressed in Brian’s clothing, not as nerdy as usual. Even so the loft looks messy, like Brian threw a little temper tantrum. There are pillows tossed about, Justin’s sketch pads are ripped up, not to mention the place smells like a brewery, and the ashtrays are overflowing with cigarette butts.

Walking to the dining room table, Carl sets down three Styrofoam boxes, then accepts a cup of coffee from Brian.

“Can we open these windows? This place smells like a bowling alley.”

Brian moves to open them, as Ted starts emptying the ashtrays, and straightening up the living room.

“So, you boys want to tell me what’s going on.”

“Justin didn’t come home last night.”

“Did you boys have a fight?”

“No! It’s nothing like that!”

“Ah ha… Did he go home last night with another man? I know you both play the field.”

“I didn’t see him last night.”

“So, it’s possible that he’s just shacked up with a trick some place.”

“I really don’t think so.”

“But it’s possible?”

“I knew you wouldn’t be any help!”

“I’m just trying to get a feel for the situation. Do you know how many missing persons’ cases turn out to be misunderstandings?”

Carl looks at his watch, it’s now 7:30 in the morning. “You know he’s probably just sleeping if off at a friend’s house. I’m sure he’ll be home soon.”

Brian knew this was useless to ask Carl for help. But he knows something is very wrong, he can feel it in his soul. Besides, he and Justin have come so far since the early days of them tricking and drugging. I mean, not that they don’t still trick, or do a hit of E every once in a while. He knows what Carl is going to say, but he still has to ask for help even if it is an unrealistic request.

“You don’t understand, he was supposed to meet me last night for dinner. He’s always harping at me when I’m late. He gets irritated when I don’t call, and let him know I’m running late. So you see, he would have called or texted me, to let me know what was going on.”

“Brian, when was the last time you saw him?”

“Yesterday morning.”

“Hmm… Usually a person has to be missing for twenty-four hours before we can start an investigation. But it sounds like we’re approaching that timeframe.”

“Yes! That’s right. It was just about twenty-four hours ago.”

He decides to forego mentioning that he did talk with him around lunchtime yesterday.

Ted says, “Blake is also missing, and the last time I saw him was at breakfast yesterday at the diner.”

Brian refills Carl’s coffee, as they all sit down at the table. Brian picks at his breakfast, mostly eating the toast and bacon. Carl has his notepad out, writing down all the details they’ve mentioned so far.

“Blake. He’s the short blond, small frame, who’s usually very quiet.”

“Yeah, that’s him.”

“Do you both have current photos of Justin and Blake?”

“Yeah. Ted clicks on his photo app on his phone, and shows Carl pictures of both Blake and Justin.”

Brian’s relieved, as he doesn’t have any current photos of Justin on his phone. It makes him kind of sad to realize that even as far as they’ve come, he’s still taking Justin for granted.

“Do you know anyone who might have it out for either Blake, or Justin? Do they have any enemies?”

Brian and Ted look at each other, dreading the idea that either one of them has had a run in with their nemesis.

Ted takes a deep breath, hating to have to divulge personal information about his or Blake’s history.

“Well, Blake could have run into Dr. Crystal. He’s an ear, nose and throat specialist. His name is Mark something?”

“He has a beef with his doctor?”

“He… He’s not Blake’s doctor. But he is a doctor. Although, I can’t really imagine anyone going to him for a medical problem.”

“So, he’s a disreputable doctor?”

Brian rolls his eyes. “You could say that! He’s a drug dealer. He sells crystal meth.”

“And you boys know this guy?”

“Everybody knows him on the Avenue!”

Ted replies, “Blake had a little problem a few years back, but he’s clean now. He’s actually a counselor for recovering addicts.”

“Well, that’s good. I’m glad he’s turned his life around.”

“Anyone else who might be angry with Blake?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Okay. Brian, how about Justin?”

Brian looks at his feet, and thinks where the fuck do I begin.

“Yeah, there are a few people that might have a reason to want to harm him.”

“Really? He looks like such a sweet kid.”

“He is! It’s just that he’s had the misfortune of… Of meeting some real assholes!”

“There’s more than one?”

“Yeah… God, I can’t believe this is happening.”

“Okay. Tell me about them.”

“Let’s see, there’s Chris Hobbs. He’s the fucker who bashed him at his prom.”

Carl says, “What the fuck? I had no idea.”

“I know. We don’t talk much about it, too many bad memories.”

“Oh my God, Brian. You were there?”

“Yes. He asked me to his prom. I refused at first, but then I realized how important it was to him. How important he was to me, but I never should have gone. It wouldn’t have happened if I’d stayed away.”

“You don’t know that. You shouldn’t blame yourself, some people are just evil. Believe me, I’ve seen it all over the years. You’d be amazed at what people are capable of, given the right situation. Have they had any recent altercations?”

“Not that I’m aware of. God, I sure hope not.”

“Who else should I be looking at?”

“There is also this punk, Cody something or another. He started a vigilante group against homophobia, called the Pink Posse. Justin ran around with him for a while. He was trying to work out some of his repressed anger over his bashing, but this Cody was bad news. He was really angry all the time. He even convinced Justin to carry a gun. That was when I started questioning Justin about his motives. Thank goodness he stopped hanging around with him a week or so after that. That guy scared the hell out of me. I was sure he was going to get Justin killed. Cody wasn’t pleased when Justin quit the Pink Posse. He kept calling him, harassing him about turning his back on the group. Justin was pretty upset about it. He would never tell me what happened, or why he was so frightened of Cody.”

“Okay, I’ll check with the officers assigned with monitoring the local gang activity. He hasn’t contacted Justin recently, has he?”

“I don’t think so. Justin hasn’t mentioned anything. As far as I know it’s been a couple of years since he’s seen Cody.”

“Is there anyone else you can think of?”

Brian takes a deep breath. “I don’t really think this is a possibility, but he was seeing this musician, Ian. I mean Ethan Gold, he attends the same art school as Justin. PIFA.”

“Oh…”

“Were they boyfriends?”

“Yeah, we… We had some issues back then, essentially communication problems. We split up for a few months. Basically, I wasn’t there for him when he needed me. We were both struggling with our emotions. I didn’t know how to show him how I felt. It took me losing him to acknowledge that I needed him. Thankfully he gave me another chance.”

“I’m glad you two are working things out. You seem good for one another. So, you think this Ethan might have unresolved feelings for him? Might be resentful of you and Justin getting back together?”

“We haven’t seen him around since they broke up. But I can’t imagine he’s very happy that Justin left him.”

“I’ll pull him in for an interview, see what he’s been up to. I’ll question him and see if he still has feelings for Justin.”

“That’s probably a good idea.”

“Is there anyone else I should be looking at? Anyone that you think might have a reason to hurt Justin?”

“Well… Justin and his father had a falling out when he came out as a teenager. A few years ago, during that whole Prop 14 Ballot initiative, he had Justin arrested. Justin was protesting outside his electronics store, and they got into an altercation.”

“Jesus! His own father had him arrested? That’s cold.”

“He’s a total bastard, he hates me. He calls me a child molester; he thinks I turned Justin gay.”

“Well, that sure moves him up on the suspect list. It’s almost always family members who are involved in disappearances.”

“So, that’s everyone, right?”

Brian shakes his head. “I don’t know. I just don’t know… Michael has always had a grudge against Justin. He’s always resented Justin’s place in my life. Michael always called him ‘the trick who would never leave’. It wasn’t until we got back together that Justin told me how bad it really was. He really gave Justin hell the first few years we were together, never missing an opportunity to put Justin down, although he hid it from me.

Then, when we got back together after the Ian fiasco, Michael was back to resenting him. He didn’t even try to hide his belligerence towards Justin. In the beginning he never put him down in front of me, after our reunion he became openly hostile towards him.”

“I’ve certainly seen Michael acting rude and immature. He does seem to be having more temper tantrums lately, he even went off on Debbie just this morning.”

“Yeah. He stormed into my office yesterday, furious that Justin no longer wants to draw the comic book. I mean, if he wasn’t just ranting about Justin yesterday, I might not really consider him. But he was acting so irrational about it. Then at Babylon last night he kept insisting that Justin was seeing someone else.”

“God, I really hate having to consider him, knowing that Debbie is going to freak out, but I don’t really have any choice. His behavior lately certainly makes him a suspect.”

“Brian, let’s not forget about the biker-bear at Babylon the other night.”

Brian groans. “Yeah, there was this guy who wouldn’t take no for an answer. He kept coming on to Justin, refusing to accept he wasn’t interested. It took two bouncers to get him away from Justin. I was up in the office, too far away to put that asshole in his place.”

“Do you know what this guy’s name is?”

“Everyone calls him Spike.”

“Any idea what his birth name is?”

Ted adds, “I’m pretty sure it’s Marshall, or Mitchell. He eats at the diner all the time. Deb might know his last name.”

“That’s quite a list.”

“Brian, are you sure this isn’t just some kind of misunderstanding between the two of you? Maybe he stayed out all night to punish you in some way?”

“No. It’s nothing like that. We had special plans last night, that’s why I’m so worried about him not coming home.”

“What kind of special plans?”

Brian rolls his eyes. “Really, Carl? Do we have to get into that?”

“I need as much information as possible, to help to try and find him.”

Normally Brian didn’t have a problem talking about his personal life, hell he usually boasted about it.

“Justin and I… We’ve been monogamous for the last six months, and we both just got our test results back.”

“Tested for what? Are you sick?”

Not being gay, Carl doesn’t really understand the significance of the statement. Ted takes a deep breath, looking almost shocked. Then he grins like a fool. “I’m so happy for you, Brian.”

It’s funny but Brian almost looks embarrassed. “We were going to celebrate that we didn’t have any STDs.”

“Did you think you might have?”

“Christ, Carl! We’re gay, there’s always a possibility that we might have contracted something when you have multiple partners.”

“But you’re exclusive now.”

“Yes. We’re committed to each other. You know, forsaking all others, until death do us part.”

Ted gasps, “Congratulations, Brian!”

Brian glares at him. “Not a word!”

“Zipping, Zipping.”

“So, that’s not common knowledge.”

“No, and I’d like to keep it that way. We’re not doing the whole ceremony, or announcement thing. It’s just between us.”

“Well… I’m proud of you, Brian. Congratulations! And don’t worry, I won’t mention it to Debbie. But you know she’s not going to be happy you didn’t tell her.”

“Not if she doesn’t know.”

“Point taken. Okay, I’m going to make a few house calls and see what I can find out. Hopefully Justin will show up, unharmed and we can wrap this thing up.”

Ted says, “Aaah… Brian… Aren’t you forgetting someone?”

Brian just looks at him, and then it occurs to him. He had told Ted in confidence, about the whole Saperstein incident. Partly because he now considers Ted a close friend, and he needed someone to confide in, because Ted oversees Babylon, and Saperstein is now banned from the club.

“Okay, yeah… Fuck, I hate going into this… The thing is, this is a very private issue for Justin. Hell, he didn’t even tell me about it when it happened. It wasn’t until we got back together and we knew that the only way were going to be able to make this thing work between us, was if we were totally honest with each other. God, this was probably the hardest thing we’ve ever done… ”

Brian thinks back to that fateful weekend, that was supposed to be a few hours of talking, and the rest of the time just relaxing and playing in the sun. We rented a cabin in the Poconos, on Lake Harmony. It was beautiful, and far away from Pittsburgh and all the chaos that seemed to be surrounding our life. But we soon found out that Dr. Alex Wilder was renting the cabin next door. He and his boyfriend, Reid are both psychiatrists. As it turned out, with their help, Justin and I were able to open up to one another about our past issues.

“I realized when Justin was gone just how much I truly loved, and needed him in my life. I’ve spent all my life running from love, but with Justin it was different. Once he was gone I was left with a huge hole in my life. I didn’t know what love was until it was gone, and I knew I’d never feel this way about another man. At first I was angry with Justin for leaving me, even though I was the one that pushed him away, thinking it was for the best. Then I was angry with myself as I watched Ian and Justin walking down the street holding hands, kissing openly in front everyone. But it was the look of happiness in Justin’s eyes that haunted me, because that look was supposed to be just for me. My jealousy raged within me, because I knew I had caused all the pain he experienced.“

“As the weeks passed, I came to realize that if I was ever given a second chance I’d open my heart to Justin. I’d stop putting up all the walls around my heart, even if it frightened me. I always told myself that love wasn’t real, that love was pain. That I’d never give anyone the power to hurt me like that. But it turned out that in the end it was me who caused all my own pain, just because I refused to show Justin how much I really cared. That’s when it occurred to me that what I was feeling was love. I fucking loved my twink, but he was no longer mine because of my own stupidity. No matter how much I drank, or how many hits of E I took, or fucking my way through the backroom would stop the pain buried deep in my chest.“

“So, now as Justin and I sat there with Alex, I found the nerve to finally tell someone about my childhood. Not the homogenized version I told Deb and Michael. No, now was the time to tell the real truth, the one I swore I would never allow myself to face. As painful as it was to trust and confide in Justin, I also knew that it was the only way that Justin would ever understand why I acted and behaved the way I did. I was running from love, because I feared the pain and rejection that always came after trusting someone who I thought loved me.”

“Through all the anger and tears I finally confronted all the pain and sorrow inflected upon me. I grew up in an emotionally and physically abusive household. As hard as it was for that scared little boy inside of me, I was finally able to scream and cry. I disclosed each and every incident I experienced at the hands of my angry, drunken father, as well as my withdrawn mother, who was indifferent to my pain. She wasn’t any better in her own intoxicated state as she emotionally abused me, humiliated me, threatened me, and punished me. So many bruised and broken bones that never received medical attention, no intervention from my teachers, or even her precious God that was supposed to love me. It’s no wonder I withdrew into myself. I learned to never let my emotions show, to never trust, never love. To believe that no anyone could want me, believe in me, or love me.”

“And now I sit here worried that the one person that means the most to me is missing, and I need desperately to find him.”


Carl clears his throat, bringing Brian back to the present time, and situation.

“Yes, there’s one other person who might want to hurt Justin.”

It still hurts him to know that Justin had to go through something so dangerous all alone.

“Back when Justin was accepted to PIFA his father refused to pay for his tuition, and at the time the little shit refused to let me pay for it. He got a job at Babylon as a go-go dancer, which was back when Gary Saperstein owned the club. I begged him not to take the job, but he wouldn’t listen, and of course we fought about it. So it’s no wonder he didn’t tell me what happened for so long. I’m sure he thought I’d throw it back in his face. But I wouldn’t have, I couldn’t have.”

“So what happened exactly?”

“Sorry, it’s just so painful to think about. Justin needed a shift off to complete a school assignment, and Gary insisted that he work a party at his house. If I have known, I’d never have let him go. He was drugged, probably with GHB, but before it really took effect he realized that he was about to be fastened into a leather sling. That there was a lineup of men waiting to…”

There’s tears in Brian’s eyes as he tries to continue…

Carl says, “I understand.”

“Anyways, he fought back. He ended up kicking Sap in the teeth, and broke loose. He ran out of the house as fast as he could. Thankfully, his friend, Daphne lived just a few blocks away, and she took care of him until the drugs wore off. She made sure he got home safely, and neither one ever told me what happened. It wasn’t until our weekend of full disclosure that I found out, and I wanted to kill the motherfucker. But he was already in jail for embezzlement, and tax evasion. Otherwise…”

Carl replies, “Thanks for telling me. I know that wasn’t easy. I’ll start checking out these suspects and get back to you later today. Let me know if you hear anything, or if he comes home. Like I said earlier, hopefully he’s just sleeping it off at a friend’s house.”

~~~

Brian thinks back to yesterday…

Brian’s reading through the contract for Rick’s Café, a new nightclub set to open up next month. He’s waited all day for his legal team to finalize all the changes necessary to meet the client’s needs. Sometimes he wonders if it’s really worth all the effort just to obtain this client. Michael’s fidgeting on the sofa waiting for a response from Brian. He’s feeling ignored, after patiently explaining in detail how great it will be to explore a haunted house.

“Brian… Are you even listening to me?”

He doesn’t bother to look up, completely ignoring Michael’s whining.

“Brian!”

“What! What the fuck is it, Michael? I’m trying to read this contract!”

“Did you even hear my idea for celebrating Halloween?”

“I’m taking Gus and his friends trick or treating.”

“I know, after that. We can rent this haunted house for twenty-four hours, to just explore, try to see if we can find any ghosts.”

“Ghosts? What the fuck are you talking about?”

“It will be just like when we were kids, scoping out the old Richfield mansion.”

“As I recall, you were too scared to even go inside that decrepit house.”

“I know, but I was a kid. This is different. We can rent all that equipment to detect ghosts and spirits. Just like on that Ghost Detectives TV show. You know, with all that paranormal electronics.”

“You watch that shit?”

“Brian, you used to love exploring old abandoned houses. Remember how excited we’d get as kids?”

“Christ, Michael, you can’t be serious?”

“Of course I am!”

“We’re not kids anymore! I have better things to do!”

“Oh come on, explore your wild side.”

Brian just shakes his head, going back to reading his contract.

“So, what do you say? Can I have two thousand dollars?”

“No! You want to do this so badly, waste your own money. I’m not going with you. I have plans for this weekend.”

“What? What are you going to do? Where are we going?”

“Who said anything about you? Justin and I have plans, just the two of us.”

Leaving, Michael complains, “Justin, Justin, Justin! You’re not even a couple! Why is he still here?”

“Get out of my office, Michael!”


Later that night…

Entering Babylon, Michael sees the guys leaning on the bar, watching everyone on the dance floor. He walks up to them grinning, then he leans into Brian, hugging him a little too long. He goes to kiss him on the lips, but Brian turns his head away.

“Christ, Michael! You’re acting like we haven’t seen each other for weeks.”

“I’m just happy to see you. It’s been so long since we’ve hung out.”

“We had breakfast at the diner this morning.”

“I know, but I mean having fun together. You know dancing and partying like old times. Brian! Are you even listening to me?”

“I’m just watching to see if Justin’s here yet. We were supposed to get together for a late dinner.”

“I wouldn’t worry about him. You know he’s always spending time with other guys.”

“What the fuck are you talking about? He hardly has time to go out these days since he’s been offered a place in the upcoming art show at the Wood Street Gallery.”

“You’re blind, you’re always at work. I’ve seen him running around town with other guys. As a matter of fact, he seems to be spending a lot of time with Blake.”

“He’s good friends with Blake, they do a lot of things together.”

“That’s what I’m saying.”

Ted leans in, joining the conversation. “I’m sorry, just what are you trying to say?”

“Just that they’re together a lot. It seems like they’re more than just friends.”

Both Brian and Ted say at the same time. “That’s bullshit!”

“I’m just telling you what I’ve been hearing on the streets.”

Brian frowns, looking at Ted for confirmation that Michael’s way off base.

“Come on, Brian, let’s dance.”

Michael takes his hand and pulls him out onto the dance floor. Moments later, Michael’s resting his head on Brian’s shoulder, holding him tight. Brian’s just as fast to react. He pulls Michael’s arms from around his neck, then places his hand on his chest, pushing him away.

“What the fuck, Michael!”

“What? It’s just like old times. I miss the way things used to be between us.”

“Things were never like that between us!”

“They could be if you’d just relax and let it happen. You know I love you, Brian. Always have, always will.”

“What has gotten into you, Michael? Where’s the professor?”

“He’s out of town. He’s interviewing for a new job in North Carolina.”

“You two are moving?”

“No. I don’t want to move. I don’t want to be away from you. I need you, and you need me. I think it’s time we really gave our relationship a try. We’ll be so good together.”

“What? NO! We don’t have a relationship! Besides, you know I’m in love with Justin!”

“Justin! He’s not even here, and I am. He’s probably out fucking Blake! Or, who knows, who else he’s stringing along.”

“Enough, Michael! Justin’s not sleeping around, he and I are together. Our relationship is strong, and there’s no way he’s running around behind my back!”

“Oh, really? Then where is he? You don’t know! Do you?”

Brian takes a deep breath, and wonders once again where the hell Justin is…

“Yeah, that’s what I thought!”

“Fuck you, Michael! Once and for all get it out of your head that we’ll ever be anything more than friends!”

“Best friends!”

“I don’t know about that anymore!

“Brian. Forget about Justin. I’m here with you now.”

“What’s going on with you, Michael? Where’s Justin?”

Michael turns and looks away, knowing that the guilt in his eyes will give him away.

“How should I know? Have you checked the backroom? He’s probably taking it up the ass with someone else!

“Fuck off, Michael! Are you trying to piss me off?”

“You never can tell with him, he’s such a whore! He’s probably with Blake doing the nasty!”

“I thought you just said he’s in the backroom? Now he’s with Blake? Which is it?”

“I… don’t know!”

“What’s going on, Michael? Why are you acting so strange? Where is Justin?”

“I told you, I don’t know! I don’t know anything!”

“I don’t believe you! Where the hell is he? Michael, what have you done?”

“Nothing!”

“You’re lying!” Where’s Justin! Where is he?”

“What makes you think I know?”

“I can tell when you’re lying. So just tell me!”

“Like I said, he’s probably out cheating on you again! He’s nothing but a whore!”

“Stop lying! Stop spreading gossip about him!”

Brian’s so mad at him right now, he wants he punch him.

“Just stay away from me, and stay away from Justin!”

Frustrated, that wasn’t how Michael planned on Brian treating him. They go back to the bar and Brian orders a round of drinks for everyone, then he and Ted leave. Michael continues drinking, and after several shots of whiskey, he regroups, and schemes his next approach.

~~~

Later Halloween afternoon…

Several hours later Brian’s pacing, exhausted, and hasn’t slept in over twenty-four hours. He’s drank so much coffee he’s getting jittery. He looks at Ted apologetically, knowing he’s been snapping at him, forgetting he’s in the same situation worrying about Blake.

“I just can’t imagine where they could be? Why haven’t they called us yet? I just know something’s happened.”

Ted looks at him with sad eyes, there’s nothing to say. They’ve been pondering this all night. It’s just not like either Justin or Blake to take off, or stay out all night. Brian’s right, something’s wrong, but what? They’re both startled when someone knocks on the door.

“Deb, what are you doing here?”

“I thought you boys might want something to eat.”

It’s not that he doesn’t want to see her, but he just doesn’t want to see her right now. He doesn’t have any new information, and he’s not up for small talk or having to comfort her. He takes the offered casseroles, already knowing what’s inside. Puttanesca, Justin’s favorite and Tuna noodle casserole, not his favorite, no matter how many times her tries to tell her.

“Thanks, Deb.”

“So, any word on our missing twinks?”

Brian just glares at her. “I haven’t heard from Carl, but hopefully he’ll be able to track down some information.”

Sensing Brian’s foul mood, she decides it’s best to leave them on their own. I know it’s a first for her, and it isn’t easy to bite her tongue or not crack jokes. But now isn’t the time, so she decides to leave after again promising not to call Jennifer, or anyone else. The last thing they want is the gang sitting around the loft, putting their two cents worth into the mix.

~~~

Michael’s reflection on last night…

I finally make it to Babylon. The drive back into the city seemed to take longer than I thought and getting lost didn’t help. After showering, I couldn’t decide what to wear. I wanted to wear something that Brian would like, show him that I can be sexy and make him desire me. I ended up wearing one of Ben’s muscle shirts, the black one. Of course, I had to tie it at the waist because it was too big, but that’s okay because it shows off my stomach, making me look hot. I even bought some hair product and lip gloss, just a little something to turn Brian’s head.

I see him at the bar. He turns and sees me, a huge grin on his face. I knew he was missing me, and now he can focus on me without Justin distracting him. I saunter up to the bar, giving him my best sultry look, as he gives me the once over. I knew he’d like my outfit.

Ted looks at me funny, asking me, “What are you wearing?

Emmett says, “That’s a new look for you, isn’t it?”

I glare at Emmett, thinking he’s never had very good taste in clothes.

Emmett smirks, saying, “You’re supposed to wash the conditioner out of your hair.”

Brian wrinkles his nose. “Are you wearing lipstick?”

Okay the color may be a little dark, but he noticed, and that’s all that matters.

Smiling, Brian takes my hand and pulls me out on the dancefloor. He pulls me close to him, holding me tight as we reminisce about the way things used to be, before he was trapped in a relationship with Justin. I know he’s happy it’s just the two of us tonight. I know he wants me, he’s just waiting for Ben and me to break up. So I tell him Ben’s going to take a job in North Carolina, that’s there’s no need for us to wait any longer. This seems to make him happy, as we return to the bar and he orders another round of drinks. Just to make sure he understands our path is clear, I mention again that Blake and Justin seem to be growing closer. That there’s a rumor they’ve been seen together all over town, and they’re probably together right now. This seems to irritate Ted, but Brian just smiles at me and I can tell he wants me. I can’t help feeling like everything is perfect. Ted’s getting snippy, and for some reason him and Brian leave together. I’m disappointed, but I know I have to be patient. After all, isn’t that what Justin did, wait patiently for Brian to come around. He’s not the only one who can play that game.

I hang around Babylon a while longer, drinking and fantasizing about Brian and me together. I’m feeling a little tipsy by the time I make it to bed, and my imagination is on overdrive. I can barely keep my eyes open, and I swear I can feel Brian’s hands running down my arms.

I whisper his name, “Brian…”

I’m feeling totally sexy, as he turns me away from him. His lips kiss and nibble my shoulder, then he runs his tongue up my neck and to my ear. I’m sporting a woody, as his hand slides around my waist, and encompasses my erection. His breathing has increased, and I can feel all the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up. This is so much more erotic than my wildest dream, and I can’t believe that he’s actually here with me. I guess Justin not coming home tonight, and knowing Ben’s out of town, Brian has finally allowed himself to admit how he feels about me. That it’s time he declared his love for me.

“Oh, Brian! I love you so much!”

He simply blows in my ear, turning me on even more. I feel his teeth graze my neck. I think that’s a little weird. His hand is now pulling on my erection just a little too hard. He must be even more excited than me. He’s squeezing my balls to the point I’m in pain, bringing tears to my eyes.

“Brian, please. You’re hurting me.”

“Ssssh…”

No matter how much I plead, he only increases his pulling and squeezing. I guess this is what they mean when they say pleasure and pain. Just to make him stop I cum, letting my juices run through his fingers. He takes his hand and wipes it on my face, it feels nasty. I’m confused as to why he’s treating me this way. This can’t be what all the fuss is about on Liberty Avenue. Crying, I ask him why? Why is he doing this?

“Brian. Brian, please answer me.”

He turns me over until he’s straddling me. Looking straight into my eyes, he asks. “Who’s Brian?”

Terror and fear run through my body as I stare at him. I’m so frightened, I can’t move. Soon he has Ben’s black muscle shirt tied around my wrists behind my back. I can’t move, I can hardly breathe. He runs his hands up my arms, across my shoulders until he’s grasping my neck. At first he just holds it tightly, and then he starts to squeeze. I can’t breathe, my heart is racing, and I’m totally panicking.

He gets so close his lips are right next to my ear, then he asks me, “Where’s Justin?”

I’m shaking, scared, my breathing is becoming more labored. And he just keeps asking. “Where’s Justin, where’s Justin, where’s Justin?”

I’m feeling light headed. I can’t help thinking about Brian, and him scarfing. Is this supposed to make you feel excited, erotic, and euphoric? I’m so scared. I’m pretty sure these are my last breaths. He asks me one last time, “Where’s Justin?”

Then he starts laughing hysterically, squeezing even harder. I’m totally consumed with fear, but then he turns sideways and I see the right side of his head is missing. There’s a splintered bone sticking out of the side of his neck, and blood is running everywhere. I can feel its warmth as it drips on my skin, coating my shoulders and chest. Then everything goes black.

TBC…


Chapter End Notes:
I know, I know... Before you say it!

It's not that I wasn't writing during the pandemic, I was... Dozens of fics, but like always I didn't finish them. So as I clean off my desktop, working my way back to all my uncompleted fics. I'm just polishing and finishing up the smaller ones... Enjoy Kids ~ Kathleen