- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story was written by Simply written, NOT by me. I'm posting it here for her so that it is availabe for you to read here. My name will be removed as soon as I can get a hold of Tag to do it.

 

Christmas Knight 

1889

 

Lord Justin Taylor. Would he ever get used to that? His father was lord of Taylor Manor, or at least he had been until last week.  His father had been ill for some time, but as the weather got colder and damper this fall he had ended up bedridden. And now, three weeks before Christmas, he had buried his father next to his mother. No time was a good time to lose a parent, but he had so much to learn and so little time to learn it. Right now he had to focus on the holiday party the Taylors had thrown for their tenants each year. No one seemed to know when it was started, but it went back well over 100 years and it could be closer to 200 years.  

It had started when his ancestor had the serfs in his care come for a banquet at Christmas after they had pulled together for a successful harvest. Now it had become a party for the tenants that farmed the Taylor land. He knew the housekeeper, Mrs. Bradley, along with the butler, Christopher, would take care of most of the details, but he also knew they would want him to make final choices on the food and decor. A bigger worry right now was finding a new stable manager. Henry had been in charge of the horses and carriages as long as he could remember, but just yesterday, after the funeral, as he was unhitching the horses, he had collapsed. The doctor had been called, but before he arrived Henry had died. He was an old man so it should have been expected, but why now? They had some young boys that had worked with him but none of them were ready to take over his position.

Sitting at the desk in his father's library, Justin jumped when one of the maids said, "Lord, is there anything I can get you?"

"No, Cassie, I just finished my tea. I do need to talk to Christopher. Could you ask him to come here in the next half hour or so. Please tell him I want to talk about the stable position.

"I will, sir."

Alone again, Justin looked at the ledger in front of him. When he had returned from Cambridge last spring, his father had immediately started training him, so by the time he had to stay in bed most of the time, he felt like he knew what he was doing. His father had been a very good businessman and thankfully he wasn't worried about how they could afford the party this year.

Justin stood and moved to the window. It was misting out right now and he shivered at the thought of the cold rain. "Sir, you wanted to see me? I have three men I have heard might be available for the stable position."

"Do you know these men? Do you know what their experience is?"

"Two of them are local men but the third is Henry's nephew. He is quite young but he has worked with horses all his life and I know Henry had hoped he would take over for him when the time came."

"Why hadn't my father already hired this man so he could start training?"

"He had some commitment but had planned to move here after the first of the year."

"Well, that sounds like he has already been promised the position. I will interview him first and as long as I get a positive feeling about him, he will be our new stable manager. When will he be here?"

"We received a telegram letting us know he should be here tomorrow afternoon," Christopher told him. "I still don't trust those messages. How do we know who it is from?

"Father trusted them. So do I. It does make sending messages so much faster. We just need to go to the village office to send a message instead of sending a footman across the country. Now, do we know anything about this man? From what you said he is young but that doesn't tell me much. To Henry a man in his 40s was young."

"I do believe there is some information in a file in your father's, in your lordship's desk. His name is Brian Kinney."

"He is Irish then, is he?" The young lord opened the desk drawer and found a file marked stables. Opening it, he found a page titled Brian Kinney.  

"Master Justin, if you are done with me..."

"Yes, Christopher. Thank you. How are the plans for the party?"

"I believe Mrs. Bradley hopes to speak to you before dinner about the menu."

"That will be fine," The lord said. He opened the file he had on his desk and recognized Henry's handwriting. This Brian was his age and had been working with horses all his life. He was not married which made things a bit easier, but why wasn't he married? Men their age were usually married with at least three children. He read farther on and saw he had been an indentured servant. That was probably how he paid his way to England, and he had heard some lords didn't allow servants to marry until they had completed their service. His father had definitely had indentured servants from time to time but he treated them with respect, and frequently shortened their time of service if they were hard workers. Most of them married over time and now many of their children were tenants. He missed his father. He had been a wise and kind man.

Mrs. Bradley did stop by the library and they reviewed the guest list and the food. "Now, Master Justin...Oh, I should say Lord Taylor."

"Please, Mrs. Bradley, I prefer Justin."

"Alright, Master Justin, I do have one more thing to discuss. You are now the lord of the manor.  Is there a lady that will serve as your companion for the night? It is expected."

"If I had a sister she would of course be by my side. I don't even have a matronly aunt to be by my side."

"You used to have some female friends that would escort you to events."

"Yes, but they are all married now."

"It is part of your responsibility as lord to find a partner."

"I know that may be expected, but I am in mourning. I will be in a black tux and a black shirt.  I don't think it will be brought up."

"Yes, my lord." Mrs. Bradley said very formally. 

Justin could see she was not happy with his decision. "Yes, Mrs. Bradley, I am lord of the manor. If I choose to never marry, you will respect that decision, too." With that, Justin was left alone.  

 

That night he ate dinner in the dining room and then went up to his room to be alone. He had been lonely since he moved back to the castle, but he would spend time with his father most evenings. Now the only people he talked to were staff, and none of them would treat him as they would treat each other. He would hear them laughing in the servants' quarters but if he entered the area they all stood at attention.  

Justin lay in his bed. Growing up as an only child, he had always been the lord's son. He was always looked on as something special, but as a child there was a group of servants' children that did treat him as one of them but that had changed as he completed school, and by the time he returned from university it was no longer acceptable for him to be just one of the kids. As much as he had no interest in marrying a pretty little girl and creating heirs, he knew it was expected of him and he would do his best to fulfill what was required. 

But would he ever be able to do something just to make him truly happy? There had been a footman before he had gone to university, and of course when he was away at school, there had been other men. He hoped to find someone and then give him a job so he could always be here. He would be honest with the woman, too. It would be a marriage of convenience and he prayed, he could find a  soulmate that made him happy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

 

Justin woke and saw a fresh blanket of snow. He had slept little and when he had slept, he dreamt of a simpering girl that wouldn't leave his side. What he wanted to dream of was a tall, sexy stranger that bed him over and over and when he couldn't be taken once more... Justin put on his riding britches and a heavy wool sweater. He then pulled on his riding boots and left his room.  

"My lord, why didn't you wake me?" a blurry eyed valet asked, wearing little more than his own long underwear.

"I didn't want to disturb your sleep just because I was restless. I plan to go for a ride on Jupiter."

"But, lord, there may not be anyone there to saddle him. Let me dress and..."

"I think I can manage myself. Let Christopher know where I have gone."

"Are you sure, my lord?"

"Yes. Please let them know I will have a full English breakfast upon my return."

Justin moved through the manor house and pulled on his warmest coat before going out into the brisk air. The sun hadn't made an appearance yet, but the horizon was just starting to show a hint of morning. Justin managed to saddle the horse, and just as he was opening the doors the first of the stable hands appeared. Justin swung his leg over the broad back of Jupiter, he tapped his flank and the steed flew out of the barn.

Justin never felt freer than when he was on the back of the black beast. He felt Jupiter's muscles flexing under his legs as they sailed across the fresh snow. It was one time in his life when he didn't have a valet at his side. He knew how fortunate he was, but just once he wished he would be treated like everyone else. He rode the horse hard to the top of the hill where an old castle sat. He slipped off the back of the horse and walked him slowly around the edge of the structure. He had always loved this spot. He rounded a corner just as the sun's first rays broke the horizon. He stood for a minute enjoying the view of his land but then something drew his attention upward. He could have sworn he had heard someone on the wall.

"Hello? Is someone there?" He looked along the top of the wall but there was nothing to see up there. He just couldn't get over the feeling. For a moment he thought about the history of the land, and that as lord, he would have been in danger of a kidnapping or even murder. He shivered and Juniper snorted. "All right, beautiful, maybe I should go home." He easily remounted and the two were off.

Justin galloped Jupiter at the start of the trip home but soon slowed him down. He couldn't get over the feeling that someone had been watching them, but if there had been, he had seen no horse and it would take someone on foot a long time to catch up. He was just being cowardly. He slowed the stallion down and enjoyed the fresh snow brushing his face. He looked up at the sky and stuck out his tongue before laughing. "Oh, Jupiter, what would my tenants say if they saw the lord of the manor catching snowflakes on his tongue?" He loosened his grip on the reins and relaxed in his saddle. 

Just as he closed his eyes a gust of wind stirred the snow, spooking Jupiter. Justin fell backward, hitting the ground hard as the horse bolted. Justin couldn't get his breath for a moment.  He lay on the cold, hard ground and fought to take in air. Then he realized there was pain in his head.  Attempting to sit up was too difficult.  He sighed, and closing his eyes, lost consciousness.

 

"Come here, boy, come on. What a magnificent stud you are." A tall, dark stranger stood, holding the reins of his horse and approaching the runaway slowly, but with confidence. His own horse had slipped earlier and now had a sprained ankle. He would have to walk the rest of the way to Taylor Manor. "You are a handsome beast."

Justin stirred. "Jupiter," he whispered softly. 

"Well, if it isn't the wayward stable boy. I am not here to steal the lord's pride. It is time for you to go home before you get thrashed for staying away too long." The lean, well built man helped the young lord sit up.  

The lord's eyes fluttered open for a moment. "The sun, the snow..." He didn't know this man.  He must have hit his head harder than he had thought.

"So are you drunk as well at this time of the morning?" Justin wasn't sure how it occurred but the next thing he knew he was sitting on the back of his steed. "Hold on and I am sure he will get you home." With that the stranger patted the black coat and the horse moved in the direction of the manor.

 

"Master Justin, where have you been? I was just preparing a horse to come look for you," one of the stable hands said.

"Please help me down. The snow spooked Jupiter and threw me." 

"Oh, no! Are you alright?"

"Please tend to him," he said as he slid off the horse. He rested against the large chest for a moment.

Another one of the young men rushed up. "Sir, let me help you.  You look a bit wobbly."

"Thank you."

"Lord, how did you manage to get back on your mount?"

"I am not sure... I thought I saw..." he reached for his head.  "Please, take me to the manor now."

 

Justin's valet, Jeffrey, helped him change into dry, warm clothes and then he went to the dining room where the maids all fawned over the lord of the manor. They served him breakfast and after he sent them away, he heard the door behind him swing open nearly silently and then familiar arms wrap around his neck. "Well, Lord Taylor, how was your early morning romp? I hear you took a fall. You didn't get hurt, did you?" Cassie popped around him and dropped down on a chair closest to him.

Justin smiled at the cheerful face of his childhood friend. "I bumped my head and I will admit, it does still pain me."

"What were you doing out there so early?"

"The snow drew me out."

"You always did love the snow."

"We loved the snow. How often did we have snowball fights by the kitchen door? I remember your mama calling to you, telling you that you shouldn't be playing with me."

"What did they expect? You were a child who needed friends."

"And I ended up with a thorn in my side." He smiled at his friend.

"I need to go or Mrs. Bradley will have my hide. I am to be upstairs cleaning. I just needed to be assured you were not hurt."

"No, but I saw a vision after hitting my head. It is a vision I wish to see every day."

"He was good looking?"

"He was perfect. He was strong and gentle and... and he can't be real. I am guessing the knock on my head just made getting up and back on Jupiter seem like a dream. I am fine now. My head just aches."

From the kitchen Cassie's mom, who was in charge of the kitchen, called out, "Cassie, you aren't in there with the lord, are you?"

"No, Mama, I am here with Justin." She stood and kissed the top of her friend's head. "I do have work to do."

Cassie's mom, Mrs. Highstreet, popped her head in, "Girl, you know..."

"Good morning, Mrs. Highstreet."

"Good morning, my lord."

"Oh, Mrs. Highstreet, you used to change my nappies at the same time you changed Cassie's.  Justin, or if you must, master Justin is fine."

"Mama, is the kettle hot? Justin has a headache because of his fall. Can you make him some of your herb tea? I will come and get it in a minute."

"And then you need to get to work or Mrs. Bradley will be calling for you."

"I will be in the library. The new stable manager is expected soon and I believe I have a meeting with our solicitor after lunch and I have to be ready for that."

"I will bring you your tea in a few minutes."

Justin smiled at his best friend, "Thank you, Cass."

Cassie had brought Justin his tea and his head felt a little clearer. He had been working for about an hour when Christopher entered the room, "Lord Taylor, excuse me."

Justin looked up from the papers on his desk, "Is the stable manager here?"

"He is. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds but with your fall today, I just had him start working. If you would like me to call him to the manor, I will, but I looked through the letter from his previous employer and told him he had a month's probation."

"Thank you, Christopher. I do appreciate it and a month sounds like a reasonable amount of time for us to find out if he can do the job."

"Are you feeling better now or should we ask the doctor to stop by?"

"I will be fine. I may lay down for a bit to shake off the rest of the headache and I am sure I will have a bruise or two but I am hoping I am tough enough to manage that."

 

Justin's head was fine when he woke up, but he was fairly stiff. After a long meeting with the solicitor, he decided to take a walk before dinner. He found himself moving toward the stable, wanting to check on Jupiter. He was sure the stable hands had taken care of him but he wanted to make sure he didn't have any injuries. 

He had always loved the stables. As he walked in, he heard some of the horses huffing and a soft whinny.  He had already missed Henry. When he needed time to be a boy and not the lord in training, he would come here and Henry would hand him a curry brush and he would stroke one of the gentle giants until he was ready to be a proper boy again. 

"So, you decided to show up to work." Justin turned and froze. His fantasy was standing in front of him. "I didn't tell the stuffy butler that one of the stable hands had been riding the great lord's horse this morning." Justin could only think this man could be a knight, although he wasn't sure they had armor he could fit into. He was so tall. "I'm Brian Kinney, the new stable manager.  Henry was my uncle. What's your name?"

Justin almost forgot how to talk, "Henry?"

"Your name is Henry, or you think your name is Henry? That must have gotten confusing with my uncle. Are you still drunk?"

"I am sorry for your loss."

"Thanks. Since it is so late there are not many chores left. Go ahead and brush Jupiter. What happened this morning?"

"Mr. Kinney..."

"Brian. I'm not that formal. Brush while you talk."

Justin started to correct him but changed his mind. He picked up the brush and started to rub down his horse. "Where did you come from?"

Brian told him he had come from Ireland and had spent the last five years paying off his fare.  He hadn't known his uncle well but they had always both had a love for horses. He had no family anymore so felt thankful he had gotten this job, although he wasn't sure he liked the idea of working for a fancy lordship. "I hear he is very young."

"He is my age," Justin replied, trying to talk more like the stable workers than the wealthy man he was.

 

Brian walked up behind him and put a hand on his shoulder, "I can see you have a way with horses." Bringing his mouth to Justin's ear he softly said, "If I am wrong just tell me and I will never ask again but, Henry..." Brian moved his hand down his back.

Justin turned, "Brian, you are not wrong." He bent and set the curry brush down and when he stood back up, he let his hand graze his strong thigh. Low in his throat, Brian groaned and took ‘Henry's' mouth.

As Brian unlaced Justin's pants, he said, "These are fancy britches for a stable hand." His mouth kept returning to Justin's.

Justin managed to say, "The young lord's cast offs."

"Lucky you," he said and led Justin into the stall. "I am sure my uncle didn't treat you to this." Justin braced himself on the stall fence as Brian thrust in.

Justin was sure the man had ripped him apart, but as he began to move inside of him, Justin didn't care. The pain made the ecstasy even greater. And he wasn't just fucking him, he was kissing and cuddling as much as they could in this position and in this location.

As soon as they were finished they both laced up their pants just as the night stable boy arrived. "I need to go.  I am supposed to be somewhere," Justin said as he ducked out the stall door before the night hand saw him.

 

Brian called, "I expect to see you tomorrow to work a shift."

"Sir, who were you talking to?"

"Henry had stopped by to check on Jupiter."

"Henry? The only Henry I knew here in the stable was your uncle."

Brian looked at him, confused. "There is no Henry in the manor staff?"

"Now I didn't say that. I don't know all the pretty boys up there. There may be a Henry. Have you met Lord Taylor yet?"

"No, and that is just fine with me. I tend to set off the masters most of the time. I guess I think too much for most of them."

"Master Justin is very nice. He isn't at all like most of the lords I have met. Some of that might be because he isn't used to being lord yet. He just got the title about a week ago. Before that, before the title, he would come out here almost every day to ride Jupider. He usually even cooled him down and brushed him after his ride. Now he doesn't have as much time, especially with the party just around the corner."

"Party?"

"On Christmas Eve Taylor Manor has held a grand party every year for over 100 years. We are all invited. All the tenants, all the staff... we are treated well compared to many workers at other estates."

"I just finished as an indentured servant and trust me, they did not invite me to any parties although they were fair to their contract with me. They actually let me go two weeks early because of my uncle's death."

"Master Brian, I was..."

"Just call me Brian."

"Well, Brian, why are you not married? I have heard the maids in the house already tittering over you."

"I have focused only on completing my contract and now I can start my life and find a family of my own."

"Working at Taylor Manor you are treated well as long as you follow their rules. Of course, now that Lord Justin is in charge, a few things may change."

"Tell me one thing I should know about the lord?"

"Just be careful talking around the maids. Cassie has been his best friend for all of his life. She will tell him everything she hears."

"Thank you. It is good to know who you can and cannot talk to."

"And this may just be a rumor, but the lord may be..."

"Sir,"  a young man's voice came from the door. Kinney, Christopher would like to meet with you at the kitchen door as soon as you can come."

"Please tell him I will be there very soon. I need to wash up but I am on my way." Brian replied.  

 

Justin entered the manor and went straight to his room to change for dinner. His ass ached but he also felt more alive than he had in his life. "Sir, let me help you. Are you still aching from your fall?"

"Yes, that must be it," he lied. 

I will draw a hot bath for you.

Ten minutes later, Brian was knocking on the door to the kitchen. This was where he could come for a meal any time. There was always some staff on duty there from 4:30 a.m. until midnight. 

"Come in, Mr. Kinney," a young girl said, letting him step in.

"Have we met? I don't remember."

"I am Cassie. We didn't officially meet. I popped in while you sat and ate yesterday."

"Nice to meet you, Cassie, and Brian is just fine. Would you have something warming on the stove for a late comer?"

"We do. We have both chicken and lamb. It is a lamb stew. It is very good. My mom has a touch with lamb."

"That sounds great."

As Cassie dished up a large bowl of stew, she said, "We have milk, water, or," setting the plate down, "we have some hard cider."

"Cider would do me just fine. Thanks."

Cassie set down the drink along with two bowls of pudding. "Do you mind if I sit and join you?"

"Wouldn't mind a little company." Brian tucked into the luscious food. "You were right. It is good. So I haven't met little Lord Faughtleroy yet. I hear you two are friends."

"He is like my brother and he would not like being called that." Cassie had a hint of a smile. So Brian really didn't know they had met.

"And he isn't married?"

"No, he hasn't met the right person yet. He just finished university."

"And the powers that be aren't pushing him?"

"They might be, but now that his father is not here, he will have a little bereavement time before they start pushing him again."

"Well, I am sure he has a little maid on the side."

Cassie smirked, "No, that isn't his style."

"I can't believe he hasn't come to ride that beast of his. It is a spectacular horse. He sends that young Henry. And who is this Henry? I thought he worked at the stable but he never shows up to work."

"Henry? The only Henry we had here was your uncle."

"Who else would have permission to ride Jupiter?"

"Maybe no one. If you don't know who the man is, maybe he is someone that will take Jupiter."

"Are you sure he doesn't work here? He was wearing britches that had been the lord's. They were high quality, but a bit worn."

Any doubt she had left her mind. Justin had gone down and Brian noticed his britches... she wondered how close he had gotten to them. "Have you had enough? If you would like to take some bread and cheese in case you get hungry later, we have plenty."

"I... Thank you. I would like that. For the last five years I was treated well but I was paying off a debt. They didn't give me the freedom I have here."

"Brian, our lord is very generous and very kind. He treats everyone well and expects the staff to do the same." Cassie put a half loaf of bread in a white sack and added a chunk of cheese. She handed it to Brian and then collected his dirty plates. Right now she wanted him to go. She needed to talk to Justin. Maybe he had finally found someone to love.

 

As soon as Brian had left and she had cleaned up the kitchen, she rushed through the back passages and slipped the door to Justin's room open just a bit to see if he was alone. Justin was sitting near the fireplace with a book in his hands but he appeared to be staring at the flames rather than reading. She tapped softly, not wanting to scare him. 

Without even turning around, he said, "Hello, Cassie. You are later than usual."

"That is because Mr. Kinney stopped by for a late dinner."

"You saw Brian? You didn't tell him anything did you?"

"What would I have told him? I want to know what the two of you were up to today."

"Did he say something?" Justin laid the book down on a table and motioned Cassie to sit down. 

"He asked about Henry. Why did you say your name was Henry?"

"Did you tell him there was no Henry?"

"I'm afraid I did, before I realized you had told him something else. Henry?"

"He surprised me. I really don't know how it happened, but he thinks my name is Henry."

"And what happened between the two of you? He noticed your trousers. Why was he looking at your ass that close? It is a pretty nice one."

"Cassie, if your mother heard you say that," Justin flushed a bit but then dared to say, "He seemed to like it and I loved what he had to offer."

"Justin, do you mean that you and he...? Was that the first time?"

"That I do not plan to answer. But I don't have to doubt he has interest in the same things I do."

"Why haven't you told him who you are? Why this charade?"

"When I realized he was real and not just a figment of my head injury, I wanted to get to know... Honestly, I wanted to get to know him, man to man, not lord to servant. People feel they have to be polite to me. I wanted to get to know who he really was."

"I can understand that." She stood and hugged her oldest friend. Anything you want me to do or not do when he asks about the lord of the Manor."

"I have to go to the city tomorrow. The solicitor and I have to file some paperwork about the estate.  I will be back just before the party. If he asks about ‘Henry', tell him you suspect ‘Henry' got scared and word will be out about me."

"So will you tell him at the party?"

"I am not sure. I hope to have a chance to meet up with him before the event but that will depend on when I get home."

"I will do the best I can to answer questions he has without telling him anything."

"Thank you, Cass." 

There was a knock on the door. 

"Go. I'll see you on my return."

"Master Justin, um, Lord Taylor, are you ready for..."

"Come in, Jeffrey," Justin called to his valet.

"Sir, did I hear you talking to someone?"

"Oh, no, I was just reading out loud." Justin stood and the valet took his robe off. He pulled the blankets back and, taking out the warming pan Justin got in and settled in. "Thank you, Jeffrey.  Please be ready to go at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I asked the maid to bring my breakfast up here so if you come in about 6:45 to help me dress, my meal arrives at 7:00."

"Yes, my lord. Good night. It is supposed to be cold in the morning so I will pop in and add peat to the fire throughout the night."

"Thank you but make sure you get some sleep yourself. Tomorrow is a big day."

"Thank you, lord."

 

When Justin woke, the room was chilly but he was sure that Jeffrey had added to the fire at least once. He stretched and could still feel a few aches.  Some might have been from the fall off of Jupiter, but he was sure some of it was from the encounter with Brian Kinney yesterday.  He couldn't stop thinking about it and he hoped it would occur again.  He was sure a man like Brian Kinney would not do his bidding sexually just because he was lord of the manor and he wouldn't want him to.  When he returned from the city his identity would become obvious and he would have a conversation with the man.

As he wrapped himself in a thick flannel robe there was a knock on the door. "Justin, are you awake? May I come in?" Cassie's voice came through the door.

"Yes, come in." The door opened and Cassie rolled a cart in. There were covered plates but most importantly there was a large pot of tea. "What did your mom make?"

"A full English, of course." She uncovered two plates of food.

"Stay and eat some of this for me. Just tell her you had to help Jeffrey repack because I changed my mind on what I needed." 

It wasn't hard to convince her. Although she would never admit it, Mrs. Highstreet always added extra food, knowing her daughter wanted time with her friend. She sat across from him. "What are you going to do about the stable manager?"

"I will decide how to handle it while I am out of town."

Cassie and Justin talked about his trip as they ate. He was going for legal reasons but since he was going to be in the city during this week, he was obligated to go to a couple Christmas parties. "I can't imagine how beautiful those will be."

"They are usually very fanciful. I wish you could go with me." As Justin finished the sentence there was a knock on the door, "Lord, are you ready to dress?"

"Come in, Jeffrey." Cassie stood along with Justin. "I will see you in a few days." He hugged her. 

"Lord," she winked at him, handing him a letter as Jeffrey walked in. "A little reading material for your trip." Cassie re-covered the now empty plates and pushed the cart out the door. Justin slipped the letter into the side pocket of his briefcase.

"Excuse me, lord, but did Cassie just slip you a love note?" Jeffrey asked as he pulled out Justin's clothes.

"Jeffrey, you know she is like a sister to me. It is just entertainment for the road." 

An hour later Christopher knocked on the door to the study, "Lord, your carriage has arrived. If you would like to meet Brian, the stable manager, he is out front on Jupiter. He said he would ride him daily for you. Oh, and I told him you would want him for the Christmas Eve party. I am hoping you plan to make an entrance as a knight like your father and his ancestors always have."

"I hadn't thought about that. Those are so uncomfortable but get the top half polished and ready for me to wear. I refuse to wear the bottoms. They always pinch parts I am quite fond of."

"And the stable manager? Will you speak to him before you leave?"

"No, I will meet him at the party. Send him away," he said more sharply than he planned. "Sorry, my mind is on many things. Tell him Henry has told me good things about his work and I look forward to meeting him."

"Henry? His uncle?"

"Just pass the message on, please. I will be out in five minutes."

Justin watched Christopher and Brian from the window. He opened the window just far enough to hear them. The butler's voice crossed to the window, "Lord Taylor looks forward to meeting you at the party."

"Alright. I will take this beast for a ride," Brian said, redirecting Jupiter.

"Oh, Mr. Kinney, I was to tell you that Henry said good things about you."

Brian turned in the saddle to look at him. "So there is a Henry that works here?"

"No, Kinney, that is what is odd. Your uncle was the only Henry that worked here."

With that Brian sat forward and made a clicking noise with his tongue and tapped the horse's flanks gently. Soon Justin was watching Jupiter fly down the road with the stable manager on his back.

 

Justin had been in the carriage for nearly two hours now. He had reviewed some of the legal paperwork and then thought of the letter Cassie had handed him. He took it out of the envelope and read it carefully:

Dear beloved Justin,

We have been friends for so long. I know you are worried about your future. We have joked about marrying many times and I know I am way below your station but we both know it would be more accepted than what you are really looking for. I would gladly bear you children and yet give you all the freedom you need to meet your needs.

I know your heart and you would treat me with love and be able to give me so much more than I could ever dream of having in the life I have now. And if some day, I find a handsome valet or stable hand of my own, I, too, would find that kind of love.

I know your first reaction is you couldn't do that to me, but you would be giving me a life I could only dream of at my station.

We could be good together.

Cassie

Justin read it through twice and then stared out the window before reading it a third time. He then watched out the window as they neared London. The carriage was passing an estate slightly smaller than his own and he could picture Cassie as the mistress. Could she be correct? Does he need to marry someone who has the right title? He knew it would take time for people to understand but they were nearly in the 20th century. Things were beginning to relax a bit and he lived far enough out of the city, his life was not as scrutinized as the lords that spent time in parliament. Maybe Cassie was right?

The carriage pulled over, and Jeffrey, who had been riding with the driver, now sat across from the lord. "Lord, we received a telegraph, a messenger just stopped us. Your solicitor has sent your schedule for the week. You will have a meeting with him in the morning, Tuesday, and then another meeting with him on Thursday morning. You will have a party Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. If it works in your plans, we will leave when you finish the meeting with your solicitor on Thursday and we should be back at your estate to sleep on Thursday, leaving you free for the last minute party decisions on Friday."

"If there are no changes in the schedule, that will work well."

"Oh, and the solicitor will be at the hotel to say hello when we arrive." He looked at Justin's drained face, "We should be at our destination in about 30 minutes. Would you like me to go back out with the driver?"

"No, I am sure you are chilled through. Make sure the driver gets a hot meal and if we didn't get him a room, make sure he gets one. He doesn't need to stay in the stables with the other drivers."

"I will make the arrangements as soon as I get you settled."

"No, the bellboy will take up the luggage. You take care of the arrangements and unpack for me. Once I finish with the solicitor, I plan to take a hot bath. You have an adjoining room so you can move freely back and forth." Justin thought for a moment. "If I have the door locked you are not needed." He hoped to meet one of the men he had been with before. There were always a few men at these parties that had the same needs he had. 

 

There were two noblemen he knew were like him. One of them, an earl, had gotten married in the last year but it was for his image only. Justin had sent him a telegraph as soon as this trip was scheduled and he hoped the man would show up later that night. 

"Lord? Lord, we are here."

"Oh, Jeffrey, sorry.  I was just thinking about the activities planned for the next few days."

"You have had a lot of things to think about in the last two weeks. I know it isn't my place to say, but you are doing a good job."

"Thank you, Jeffrey. I appreciate that," Justin said as he stood and stepped down from the carriage. "Mr. Smithe, so good of you to meet me today."

"Theodore, please, your lord. Thank you for making the trip so quickly in your time of grief."

"I may have waited another week or two but I had many invitations. I felt obligated to attend some of the events. I will be relaxing tonight, but the next two evenings I will be attending the big parties in the city."

"I am sure you are aware that you are the most sought after bachelor in the country right now. I know of several families that hope to get your attention."

"Don't they realize I am in mourning?" This was true, Justin thought, but not his main reason for wanting to avoid this. He again thought about Cassie's letter. "I am still young and in no rush to find a permanent mate." He smiled at Smithe.

"Well," Smithe smiled, "I can understand that. I've been married 25 years and it was a good decision but I would have enjoyed wooing a few more women." Justin thought about having to woo a woman and it made him shiver. This made Smithe smile even bigger. "The world is open to you but you know you will be expected to pick someone soon."

Justin wanted to roll his eyes, "I will remember that. I will keep my eyes open. If you don't mind, can we take care of the business we need to do? I am thinking about a relaxing evening with a good meal and a comfortable bed."

Theodore Smithe had set up a room off the front lobby. The men reviewed several documents that Justin's father had signed. They reviewed what needed to be changed to put everything in Justin's name. By the time they had finished Justin was hungry and wanted a hot soak in his tub.

After parting ways, Justin called Jeffrey's room and let him know he was going to eat in the dining room before coming up. "Jeffrey, take the night off. Go enjoy the city. I will expect you to be available in the morning whenever I am ready for you. It will not be early."

"Oh, my lord! Thank you, sir. I have never had time in the city."

Justin went into the dining room and was immediately seated at a table of honor. He did not order a large meal. He ordered a supper of stew and bread that was served quickly, letting it be known that he was tired from his trip. As he ate, he saw his lover come in and sit by the bar ordering a drink. Justin made a slight nod in his direction and when the man received his drink, he raised it just enough that Justin knew they had made a connection. Justin ate his meal, not rushing and asked if he could have a bottle of  port to take up to his room. As he walked past the earl he accidentally dropped his key. 

"Oh, let me get that for you." The earl bent down and picked it up. Before handing it to Justin he took a good look at the number. "Well, you are the new Lord Taylor. I was sorry to hear about your father.  He was a good man." He handed the key to Justin, brushing his fingers against the palm of Justin's hand. 

"Sir, how would you like to join me for a drink," Justin held up the bottle in his hand. "I could use some news about what has been going on in the city."

"I would enjoy that. It is Justin, isn't it?"

"It is." The men walked out chatting like strangers, but once they walked up the flight of stairs and entered Justin's suite. As soon as the door was shut, the earl was pulling at Justin's fly. "Wait! I need to check the door." Justin moved across the room and locked the adjoining door. By the time he moved across the room, the earl was already undressed.

After they had sex they opened the bottle of port. Justin sat in his robe and his companion sat in the hotel's guest robe. "May I ask you a question?"

"Of course," the earl took a sip of the port.

"What is it like to be married? Does she know what you are doing on a night like tonight?"

"She knows, although she would never admit it."

"So you have never talked to her about it?"

"No, of course not! Have you chosen someone to marry?"

"No and I know I will need to. So are you with her often? I have never been with a woman and I'm not sure I would like it."

"It can be pleasurable. Now she is expecting our first child, so I do not have to be with her until we are ready for another."

"Do you love her?"

The earl drank more of his port and said, "I love her. She is a kind woman and will give me a family. Am I in love with her? No. Not as a husband and wife should love each other." He looked at Justin. "Do you have plans?"

"No, but I know I don't have much time. I've been warned there are fathers that plan to tell me about their daughters."

"Just be careful. Some of those families would not allow you any freedom." He took out his pocket watch and looked at it. I need to go. I can't afford to call attention to us spending too much time together. It would not be good for either of us." 

Without another word, the earl quickly dressed and left the room with not another word. Justin filled the bathtub and slid into the warm water. He sighed loudly. Hot water in the bathroom was one of the most amazing inventions. He was going to make sure it was added to the manor house soon. It would make everybody's life easier and much more enjoyable. 

Justin tried to think of any time he had taken a bath completely alone. He had been left alone for short amounts of time but every few minutes someone came out to check if he needed more hot water or if he needed help with his hair or his back. He enjoyed this solitude. His mind then went to the earl and their tryst. Of course he enjoyed it. His body still hummed a bit but when he thought about the stable and Brian Kinney. As his mind drifted, he pictured the stable manager on the back of his own steed. He hoped he would have a chance to be under him again. How would he react to learning the stable hand was actually the lord of the manor.

 

Brian was alone in the stable. All his assistants were up at the manor house helping make strings of garland and wreaths for the party. He didn't mind too much. He had prepared the old stables for the guests' horses tomorrow, putting down fresh hay and making sure grain was available. He then went back into the main stable. Two of the horses were in the city with the lord of the manor. He brushed a couple of the horses and then went back to Jupiter. Whenever he saw this horse he thought of Henry. Who was Henry? He wished he knew who the man really was. He found him intriguing and very handsome. Just thinking about his blond hair and perfectly shaped...  Jupiter snorted loudly. "Alright, I have enough time to take you out for a good run. If only you could talk. I bet you know who Henry really is." 

Five minutes later they were sailing down the road. Brian loved this animal. A week ago he would have never believed he would be in the care of a creature this magnificent. He wasn't sure why but he rode up to the ruins where he had seen the horse and his rider for the first time. He thought horse and rider were a perfect image, both strong and beautiful in their own way. 

Soon he was on his way back to the stables where he found one of the hands waiting for him. "Brian, Mr. Christopher would like to see you at the manor," the teenager said.

"Alright, do you know what it's about?" Brian asked, not liking the thought of speaking to the stuffy man.

"No, sir, I don't. Would you like me to brush Jupiter for you?"

"Yes, he's had a good workout so make sure he is well taken care of."

"Of course! Jupiter is very special to the lord. And the lord is very special to everyone here."

"When I come back, I want to continue this conversation about the lord. I will be meeting him at the party." Brian looked down at his clothes. He took off his shirt and quickly washed his face, arms, and armpits before going into his office and coming out with a fresh shirt which he pulled over his head. As he walked out the door he tucked his shirt into his pants.

When he arrived at the manor he was glad to see a footman waiting on the step. "Mr. Kinney, Christopher would like you to meet him in his office."

"Can you tell me where that is? So far I have only been in the kitchen."

"Follow me." The young man led him through the front hall and then toward the kitchen. Brian looked as he walked. The house was beautiful but with the Christmas decor, it was breathtaking.

 

Instead of going into the familiar room where wonderful smells wafted from, he turned down a narrow hall and then pointed toward a door. "Knock first."

"Thank you," Brian said as he walked away. He then raised his hand and knocked.

"Come in," Christopher's deep, cultured voice came through the door. "Kinney, I hear you were out on a ride. I hope Jupiter is well."

"He is in perfect condition. He is a stunning animal."

"Yes, Master Justin is very fond of him." Christopher's voice had a note of caring when he mentioned the young lord.

"May I ask how long you have been here?"

"I started as the lord's valet before Master Justin was born. I would never suggest I was friends with the previous lord but I like to think we had a bond of some kind.  I have concerns for the new lord. He spends a lot of time in the stables and I am hoping that you will... well, just be there if he wants to talk. He was very close to your uncle also so he just..."

"I have not met him yet but I will do what I can to assist him in any way I can."

"I do not think staff should get too familiar with the lord of the manor but I have to admit, Master Justin is different than most. Some of it is because times are changing but he has always been a kind, generous person."

"I will do what I can, Christopher, but I am not the warmest person."

"Maybe not, but you are near his age and you are the nephew of a man he respected."

"Does he return tomorrow?"

"Yes, hopefully they will arrive before dark. If he gets home early enough I will introduce you.  If not, I am sure he will come down to visit Jupiter. He may be too kind to send you on your way, but I promise, I am not."

"Sir, I have always done my job well and know my place."

"I am glad to hear it. Now, is there anything else you need in the stable? Is everything ready for many more horses tomorrow night?"

"No, sir, I believe you said there would be extra hands for the stable so everyone could spend some time at the party?"

"Yes, there will be at least a dozen young men here and it could be double that. As long as there are at least two men in each of the buildings, the other can rotate in and out. You of course will be available if something comes up but the rest of the time you will be at the party."

"Thank you. I plan on it."

"We do have a closet of formal clothing that you are welcome to look through, that is if you would like to pick something out. Cassie should be in the kitchen and can help you with that." Christopher walked to the door and opened it, "Cassie," he called and within a moment the young girl Brian had met before appeared. "Could you take Mr. Kinney into the wardrobe and let him look at what clothes are available."

"Yes, Christopher. I have a little time so if he needs some minor alterations I should be able to take care of it."

"Thank you, Cassie." 

 

Brian stepped out and Christopher closed the door leaving them alone in the hall.

"Where is this closet? I do have clothes that might..."

"Oh, let's look. They do this every year. Justin made sure there were clothes for everyone on the staff."

"Ok. I like to look good."

"Do you have someone to look good for?"

"No, I haven't had time to find someone. I will probably be like my uncle and stay single." Brian followed Cassie into a room at the end of the hall. "What is Lord Taylor like?"

"Like I told you, he is kind and very handsome, but he doesn't seem to realize it.  He would rather be a stable manager than the lord of the manor."

"It sounds to me like you would enjoy being more than his maid."

"Well, maybe, but we both know that just doesn't happen, although I see things changing with Justin in charge."

"Then maybe you can be more than his maid." Brian said as he pulled off his shirt to try on the one Cassie had in her hand.

Cassie stared at the muscular chest and well defined arms. No wonder Justin couldn't stop thinking about him. Of course she didn't think he had seen him without a shirt. "Working with horses has gotten you into shape."

Brian quickly pulled on the shirt, "Well, mucking stalls and shoeing horses is a bit of work." He took the pants Cassie had in her extended hand but this time he ducked behind a privacy screen. After a few moments he stepped out. The pants looked like they were tailor made for Brian. Even the length was perfect.

"Now all you need is the waist coat." Cassie held up the jacket and helped him slip into it. "I think the only thing that needs to be done is to shorten the sleeves. I will be able to have that done in no time."

"If you don't have time it is fine as it is. I can roll them under." Brian tucked the extra length under.

"This will only take me a few minutes. Do you think you could come around 3:00 tomorrow afternoon? Right now I need to work on master Justin's pants but that won't take long."

"Does he get new clothes for this each year?"

"Of course, but I am working on something different. As the lord of the manor and the host of the party he will arrive in the traditional way."

"And what would that include?"

"Oh, of course, you don't know. The ancestors were knights and each year the lord arrives on his steed."

"He will be wearing a full suit of armor?" Brian said as he changed behind the divider.

"No, Justin won't do that. He is wearing the pants I am sewing. They are a deep slate gray and it will make riding Jupiter easier. Once he arrives he will take a few moments to get out of the armor. In fact, would you make yourself available to help him take that off? Jeffrey, his valet, is not very tall and I am not sure he would be able to get it off the lord."

"Where will he be changing?"

"Up in his bedroom. It is at the top of the main staircase and to the left. The door straight ahead goes into his room," Cassie said as she smiled slightly. Now Brian Kinney knew where Justin lay his head every night. It would be up to Justin if he wanted to tell Brian about the back stairs to the room. 

"I will be there and I will be here at 3:00 tomorrow." As Brian left, Cassie thought about Justin and wondered what he had thought about her letter. She loved him and would be a good Lady of the Manor, even if she was of a lower class. She would bear him children and let him love who he chose.

"Cassie, girl where are you? There is much to do?" Mrs. Highstreet called out.

"Coming, Mama. I was helping Christopher." Cassie hurried back to the kitchen.

 

Justin went to the two events he felt obligated to attend and on Thursday morning he met with Mr. Smithe again.  He looked over the documentation and signed all the papers. He was a wealthy man but he also had a lot of responsibilities that affected many, many lives." With the last of the papers signed, Justin went to look for his driver and valet.  

He found them out in the lobby. Both men looked a little worse for wear. Justin had required them to take him to the parties but the rest of the trip they had freedoms they were not used to. Justin knew they had both gone to bed when he did the night before, so although a little hung over, they were both ready to get back to the manor house and prepare for the biggest night of the year at the manor.

Justin reviewed the papers once more and then he closed his eyes and relaxed to the sway of the carriage. He thought about the two partners he had been with while he was in the city. One of them was married and going to be a father and the other was considered an unsavory character just because he did prefer men over women. He could not let his image be tarnished, and if he was honest, he didn't like being with different men. He wanted to find A man to spend a quiet life with. As he dozed off, the figure of the stable manager popped into his mind and he dreamed of them together. This time it wasn't in the stable but his warm, comfortable bed. He wished the dream would go on forever.

 

Justin was relieved when the landscape was very familiar. He knew he was on his land. As he neared his drive he saw the beginning of the decorations and a small thrill ran through him followed by a deep sadness. His mother had loved this time of year. She had died several years ago, but his father had promised her he would keep up the tradition and he had. Now they were both gone and the tradition would continue.

He quickly wiped the tears from his eyes. He was glad he was home and in his familiar setting again. He may not have much family anymore but he had loyal staff and he had Cassie. He had decided that he would take Cassie up on her offer. He knew it wouldn't go over well, but it was nothing he couldn't weather. He would not tell her today but maybe before the new year. He hoped they could make it a simple event but he would allow her any wedding she wanted. It needed to be convincing.

The carriage pulled up and the footman opened the door. Justin caught sight of the stable manager in the distance and was anxious to talk to Cassie. He knew she would have been asking questions while he was gone.

He had barely arrived in his room when the door to the back staircase opened and Cassie moved into the room with fabric in her hand which she tossed on a chair. She walked over and hugged him, "I have missed you."

Justin smiled, "I have missed you, too. The house looks great. How did you get away from your mother's reach?"

"I have your britches. You are trying them on right now."

"I am, am I?"

"I know they will fit you. I have been sewing for you for years. Did you read..."

Justin held up his hand. "We will talk after the party is over. Now, what happened while I was gone."

Cassie led him to the small settee near the fire and sat with him. "Well, as you can imagine, we have all been busy with the party. I have been doing a lot of sewing. Your stable manager is coming at 3:00 tomorrow to try on his suit."

"He is wearing a suit? I am not sure my heart can take that."

"He is beautiful. His chest goes on for days!"

"You saw his chest? I haven't seen his chest..." The conversation went on for another ten minutes.

"Justin, I need to go." Cassie stood. "Try those pants on. They should make it easy for you to get on Jupiter and with the suit of armor on your top half, he will never know it is you when he helps you on the horse unless you want to tell him in the afternoon when you drop by. I can always call you Henry." 

"I will try to stop by and I will try these on," he held up the pants. "Can you tell your mother I'd like to eat in my room tonight?"

"What would you like? She has several meals ready for tomorrow so you can choose."

"I want something simple. I ate too much rich food the last few days so just a little meat, vegetables, and some bread or something similar. You know what I like."

Cassie kissed his cheek and moved to the door, "Oh, and Brian is going to help Jeffrey get you out of the armor. If you wear a codpiece he may help with that, too."

"Out, you wench," Justin said with a laugh. All he could think of after that was Brian's hands by his cock and it soon was throbbing. Could he be lucky enough to have hired, not only someone good with his stud but also someone willing to be his stud? He knew that was a tacky way to think of him. He hoped they had a lot more in common than good sex and the love of horses.

 

One of the maids dropped his dinner off and, for the second time that day, he was missing his parents. With all the people around him he was still lonely. After eating he was restless, so, after telling Jeffrey to prepare a hot bath for him in about an hour, he bundled in his comfortable riding clothes and headed out to the stable. It was quite chilly but he decided he would take Jupiter out for a short ride and then he would spend time grooming him. Spending time with the stallion always made him feel better.

Justin walked into the barn and waved at the teenage boy who was brushing one of the carriage horses that had been in the city. "I will take care of my horse. I just need a little fresh air," he said to the boy and moved back to the stall that was for Jupiter alone. He moved close and rubbed his friend's neck. "Hello, my friend. I've missed you." He hugged the big black neck. "Are you ready for a night time ride? We will take it easy and it won't be long. Tomorrow is a big day."

"You, who are you?" Brian's voice made Justin jump.

"Oh, I... we have met before."

"I know that, Henry, but no one knows who Henry is."

"Would Jupiter react this way to someone he didn't know?" As he said this he threw the blanket on his back and then followed with the saddle.

"You can't ignore me. I am the manager in this building and..." Justin mounted Jupiter and as one they came out of the stall making Brian step out of the way.

"You have to come back sometime," Brian called after him. He turned to the boy in the stall.  "Who is Henry?"

"Mr. Kinney, are you talking about your uncle?"

"Of course not! I'm talking about..." One of the horse's snorted and then kicked the door of the stall distracting both of them. Once Brian had checked on the horse he saddled his own gelding and followed the path Henry had taken. He needed to find the mystery man.

 

Justin did not run Jupiter hard. He let Jupiter go where he wanted to with minimal guidance while he daydreamed. He was surprised when the moon was blocked out by something. It was the old castle. He hadn't realized they had gone that far. He really hadn't planned to do that. He looked out over the expanse of the land and he felt tears come again and this time he let them fall. At first they were silent drops but soon he was sobbing as his cheeks became completely wet.

When two strong arms came around him, for a moment he fought, not knowing who it was, but then he heard the voice of the stable manager say, "If something has you that upset let it out, Henry. We all need to do that from time to time."

Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's waist and he laid his head on Brian's chest. A few minutes later he took a deep settling breath.

"Better?" Brian asked, putting a finger under his chin and tilting his head back so their eyes met. Justin nodded slightly and before he realized he was doing it, he stretched upward until their lips touched. Brian's arms tightened around him and they kissed for several minutes but when Brian tried to slip his hands inside Justin's shirt he stepped back.

"I need to go." Justin said moving toward Jupiter who was standing nearby.

"Henry... I know that isn't your name, but, are you alright?"

"I need to go." Justin stepped away and then swung onto Jupiter's back and took off at a full gallup. 

Brian jumped on his own horse and followed, shouting, "You idiot, slow down. It is too dark for that speed."

Justin heard what he said and slowed down. He couldn't risk Jupiter's safety. Soon Brian was right next to him. "Who are you really, Henry? You show up from time to time but no one knows who you are?" Justin remained quiet. "You don't have to talk to me but are you alright? You sounded desperate or heartbroken when I found you. Did you have a breakup with someone?"

"I'll be fine." They stopped at the stable. Justin decided tonight he would let someone else brush his mount. "I promise we will talk soon." He got off the horse and said, "Have the boy brush him tonight. Sorry, but I have to be somewhere."

Before Brian could say anything, the stable hand stepped out, and without a question he took Jupiter's reins and led him into the building. While Brian watched the animal going into the barn Justin jogged to the house silently. Brian started to follow but his horse stomped and Brian led him into the stable instead.

 

Justin sank into the hot tub in front of the fireplace. He made a note to himself to  find out how much it would cost to add hot water to the house, or at least to his bath and the kitchen. He could imagine how much easier it would be in the kitchen if they didn't need to heat water. Mrs. Highstreet has worked so hard for his family for his entire life. If she became his mother in law, he would offer her retirement but more than likely she wouldn't do that. He knew Mrs. Bradley had talked about retirement. He could hire a new kitchen manager and put Mrs. Highstreet into that position.

As he leaned his head back his mind strayed back to the castle and Brian Kinney. It was obvious he was a good man. He didn't press him. He didn't make him feel weak. The thought of the kiss stirred something else in him. He realized his soul didn't feel as lonely. He knew he wanted sex but he needed someone that made him feel cared for and confident. He slowly stroked himself and just as he felt he was ready to cum there was a knock on the door.

"Lord, are you ready for some assistance?" Jeff's voice came through the door.

"Five minutes.  Come back in five minutes." Justin's voice was a little shaky as he regained his composure.

 

By the time Justin woke in the morning the house was already buzzing with activity. Everyone was bustling around getting last minute details completed. Even the Lord of the Manor was toting things for the party. At one point he looked up and saw Brian on the other side of the road helping with temporary poles to secure horses and carriages for tonight. Their eyes locked for a minute and Justin smiled just before Mrs. Bradley called him back into the house.  

By 2:00 everything was ready except for food that was simmering or chilling. Justin remembered he needed to go down for a final fitting and went down to the closet Cassie was in.

"Well, you are early but it is probably a good idea to try on everything." 

After putting on his formal attire he would wear for a majority of the party, he went behind the privacy screen and put on the pants that would go with the armor. Cassie was just struggling to help him into the metal when Brian walked in. 

"Who are you putting into that tin can? Oh that's right, this must be the lord of the manor." he said as he walked over and helped Cassie get the suit positioned. As it dropped down onto Justin's shoulders, Justin turned away from Brian and slipped on the helmet. "Lord, I am Brian Kinney, your new stable manager."

Justin extended his hand and Brian shook it. Brian wasn't sure what it was but he felt a little jolt run through him. "Nice to meet you. I hear you have been doing a wonderful job and I can tell Jupiter is well cared for."

"You have been down to see him?" Brian said with surprise in his voice.

"I have. We just have never been there together." His voice was muffled because of the armor. He turned to Cassie and said, "I will wear this up to my room. Jeffrey needs to know how to get it off me."

Brian couldn't place the voice but he had heard it before. "Cassie has asked me to help tonight.  Would you like me to assist now?" Brian asked.

"No, we are not under any time limits now but I would appreciate the assistance this evening," Justin said as he clanged his way down the hall.

Cassie laughed as she listened to him leave, and then turned to Brian, "Here is the suit. Slip the jacket on and see if the sleeves are good now."

As Brian slipped into his jacket. "What does the lord look like?"

"Look like?"

"Cassie, be honest with me. Have I met the lord before?"

"How would I know?"

"Don't act naive. I know you two are very close."

"Well, if you know that, you know I would never say anything to do with him."

"I think I will need to dance with you tonight. It is obvious you are good at it, at least when it comes to dancing around the subject." 

"That fits fine. Oh, in case the main stairs are busy tonight, the stairs at the end of the hall lead into a back door to the lord's bedroom. When the house was built there were many more servants and they weren't to be seen in most cases. Justin isn't like that. I think in the next five years there will be many updates around here."

"This does seem like a good place to work and, although you won't confirm, I think I may have already met Lord Taylor."

"And if you have met him? Do you think you will be staying?"

"I am hoping I will."

Cassie knew she should keep her mouth closed but said, "He has been through a really bad time and he really needs... people he can count on." She turned to the handsome man beside her and put a hand on his arm, "Be honest. Don't promise something for a lifetime when you only plan it for an evening." 

"You are a good friend, Cassie. He is lucky to have you."

"I think he would be lucky to have you, too, if you are ready for what that entails."

 

By 7:00 people had started arriving. Some of the early arrivers were there to help with serving, but by 7:45 the manor was buzzing, waiting for the arrival of the lord. Justin slipped out the kitchen door and walked a short distance where the stable boy would be waiting for him with Jupiter. To his surprise he recognized the silhouette of the stable manager instead.

"You are supposed to have the night off," Justin said.

Brian reached over and flipped up the visor exposing part of Justin's face. "Have you been playing me for the manor's fool or were there other reasons you didn't tell me who you were?"

"Oh, Brian, I was not trying to hide anything. Can we talk later?"

"After the party, I will come up to your room by the back stairs."

"Yes, please. I want to talk to you." With that, Brian boosted Justin onto Jupiter's back and before another word could be said he jogged toward the house, wanting to be there when Justin made his formal entry. 

Justin made sure Brian had made it back before he moved onto the main drive and arrived at the Christmas Knight party. A cheer went up as the crowd, which had moved outside, got their first glimpse of the arrival. Brian walked over to Justin when the horse stopped. He carried a step stool and set it by Jupiter's side. Brian offered the knight a hand as he slipped off and onto the step and descended. Justin made a short speech as one of the stable hands took the steps away. When Justin had finished his greeting, Brian rushed around the back of the house, dodged all the staff in the kitchen, and moved up the backstairs and into the master bedroom. Justin moved into the house and walked up the grand staircase.

 

Jeffrey was already holding the helmet when Brian arrived. "Glad you are here. It will take both of us to get this off quickly." 

With Brian's help, they managed to get the armor off easily. "Jeffrey, please get my suit out of my dressing room. I will join you in a moment." Jeffrey disappeared into the large closet and Justin stepped closer to Brian, lowering his voice. "I wasn't trying to hide from you. I don't have time right now but..." Brian cut off his words with a quick kiss.

"You dress. We will talk when everyone goes home. Does he know?" Brian nodded toward the closet.

"No, but I hope he finds out soon." Justin kissed him once more before ducking into the dressing room while Brian went down the stairs.

 

The evening continued with music and dancing, drink and food. Justin danced with several of the local beauties as well as many of the maids in the house. Brian and Justin brushed past each other several times on the dance floor, sometimes with an exchange of a smile or a wink.   When it came to the last dance of the night, Justin walked over to Cassie, and with the flourish of his hand he asked her to dance.

They were swirling around the floor and soon everyone else had cleared the floor. Justin gracefully led Cassie around the room, and as the music slowly drifted away, Justin pulled Cassie close and kissed her cheek. He whispered, "It is yes to the letter. We will figure out the details later. If you are still willing..."

"Oh, yes." She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. 

 

Justin said goodbye to all his guests, and those that had a little more to drink than they should were escorted to their lodgings, or to a spare cottage that was cleared for just a situation like this. And when all that was left were those that were staying to clean up, Justin moved up the stairs.

After Jeffrey helped him out of his suit and into his bed clothes, Justin said he would see him in the morning and to not worry about putting more wood on the fire. He deserved a good sleep and Justin was able to keep his own fire going. As Jeffrey thanked him and left the room, Justin was sure he heard the door to the stairs open as he locked the doors to the hall and to his dressing room where Jeffrey had access. He turned and stepped into the arms of Brian Kinney, stable manager. 

Justin was already in a nightshirt, so he started undoing Brian's fly as Brian unfastened his shirt. When he was left in only his drawers, he reached over and slowly pulled off Justin's covering, leaving them both nearly naked. Simultaneously, they reached down and pulled off their remaining garment. They stood silently, scanning each other and then they began to touch, first with hands but then with tongues and lips.

"My lord, is this..."

"Kinney, if you call me lord again in this bed it better be because of my skill not because of my title." With that said he moved down Brian's body, and soon the man was using the word lord again as he came in Justin's mouth. And shortly after that, Justin shouted out his pleasure as they climaxed together.

Brian got up and put another log on the fire before jumping back into bed and collecting Justin close. "I have never done that before."

"Now I know that isn't true because you had me in the stable."

"We fucked in the stable."

"Isn't that what we just did?"

"I would like to think we made love." Brian said, kissing his temple. "What do you plan to do with your life? Our lifestyle... we could be killed for it. I know that isn't news to you." 

"What do you want from your life? Do you have any interest in women at all? I mean a family is expected."

"At my station in life, I don't have to worry about that. Young Cassie seemed to be very happy in your arms today."

"Brian, I have a proposition for you. I am marrying Cassie, and she knows my proclivity for men. She will marry me and give me children, but she may have a lover just as I do..."

"And am I part of this plan?"

"I do hope so." Justin kissed him. "From the first time we met..."

"It was different from anyone else I have ever met. And how will this work, exactly?"

"Do we need to figure it all out today or can we just know we can make this work?" Justin skimmed his hand down Brian's arm as he moved closer and kissed him.


Epilogue

1895

"Uncle Brian, help me up, please," The four year old said politely. Brian reached down and lifted the blue eyed blonde onto the saddle. 

"Here you go, Master James. Hold on tight," Brian replied as one of the stable hands led the horse and Brian walked beside him. He looked so much like his father, but his curls came from his mother.

"I hoped he had found his way to you," Justin said, carrying a dark haired toddler in his arms. "Caleigh insisted on coming along."

"Do you want to ride with your brother, Caleigh?" Brian asked.

Caleigh looked at her father, "Pease, Papa?"

"Of course, love." Justin kissed his little girl and passed her over to Brian. Now Justin walked on the other side.

"Is Cassie coming back tonight?"

"She will be back before it gets dark. I am glad she enjoys being Lady Taylor and all the benefits that come with that. She is so lovely and gracious that after a couple years, everyone forgot she had been raised a maid and not part of the aristocracy." He looked at his children on the back of the horse and smiled. "She also makes gorgeous children."

"I couldn't agree with you more." Brian said as he had the stable boy stop. They each lifted one of them off and Brian had the stable hand ride the horse back to the stable. He looked around to make sure they were out of view of all the buildings and he kissed Justin. "Is she bringing her lover back?"

"He will be here in a few days. Christopher is very happy to turn over his duties to a younger man and live out the rest of his life in his cozy cottage."

They sat in the long meadow grass and watched the kids chase butterflies. "That first night when you laid out your plan I have to admit I didn't think this would work but it has and I wouldn't want it any other way."

Justin reached over and kissed Brian, "I love you, Brian Kinney."

"And I love you, my Christmas Knight."

 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.