- Text Size +

 

Chapter 3

 

Justin arrived before Daphne and sat down in a booth at the back. "Now you're a blast from the past," Debbie said as she walked up with a menu. "It's Justin, right?"

"Debbie, you have an amazing memory."

"Not for everyone, but I knew you were going to make something of yourself and you have. I saw that painting you sold. What are you doing in a place like this? You could eat at any restaurant in town."

"Well, Debbie, I needed some comfort food and a place to meet..." he waved at Daphne as she walked in. "... an old friend."

"I'll bring another water and a menu."

"Why don't you throw some of those onion rings in for us." Justin stood to greet Daph.

Debbie patted her arm and said, "I'll be right back." 

The old friends hugged and sat in the booth. "Did I hear you order onion rings?"

"You did. I don't know when I had them last but I remember how good they were here."

Debbie came back with another water and a second menu. "I have the rings in. What would you two like, or do you want to look at the menu?"

"What's tonight's special?"

"Tuna noodle casserole and a lemon square for dessert." Debbie commented.

"I'll have that. Daph, do you want more time? And a diet soda."

"No, I'll have a burger with everything. I'll have diet soda, too."

"You got it. Rings are on their way." As she walked away one of the young men that worked there came out with the onion rings and then returned with their sodas.

"So, I saw Brian today."

"Oh, yeah, and he told you what he wants you to do?" Justin picked up an onion ring and bit into it. "Try one."

Daph tried one herself," Oh, these are good." Then she went on, "He did. Are you alright with me doing this?"

"Well, he seems to be set on doing it and if you are helping you will be able to keep me totally out of it."

"Justin, he can't use anyone who doesn't agree. You were a minor."

Their food was delivered along with a plate with two lemon squares on it. "Debbie, I didn't order..." Daph started to say.

"No, but you'll want a bite and no one shares these." Debbie winked at Justin and walked over to the next booth for another order. 

As they ate their meals, Daphne watched the video with earbuds in. "He did a great job. You never told me what all happened the night of the explosion."

"Not much to share. I can tell you we are two very different people and I respect him because, although he does it behind the scenes, he helps a lot of people and organizations but we have nothing in common."

As Daphne took a big bite of her burger she realized she saw a lot of similarities between the two. Once she swallowed the bite she said, "How's your special?"

"It is really good. I know it seems like a weird thing to order but there is something comforting about it."

"Comforting?"

"I‘m not sure but I have to admit that ever since I was trapped in the studio..."

"Have you talked to someone?"

"No, it will..." A pan in the kitchen banged loudly and Justin nearly jumped out of his seat. 

"Woah, Justin, it's okay.  If you're done eating, let's take these lemon squares to go. We can have a drink at my place, where it is quiet."

They both ate a few more bites and then they stood up. "Debbie, could we have a to-go box for our dessert?"

"Sure," Debbie took the plate and placed the treats in the box at the cash register and Justin paid for the food, giving Debbie a $50 bill and told her to keep the change.

"Thank you! You are a breath of sunshine. Come back soon. I've missed that smile." Debbie said as they walked out.

Justin held onto Daphne's hand tightly as they walked to his car. "I hate this feeling. It reminds me of after the bashing. I keep wondering what is next?"

After arriving at Daphne's place, she opened a bottle of wine and poured some for both of them. They sat together on the sofa. "Justin, you need to talk to someone. You have had another major trauma, making it three times, and you cope well, most of the time, but it is time for you to talk to someone that can help."

"I'm fine, really."

"Justin, you know I love you, right?"

"Of course! You are my best friend and you are always there for me."

"Justin, after the bashing eight years ago, I noticed small changes but I thought that could be because of the brain injury. You were so brave and you completed your degree and now look at you. An almost famous artist." Daphne hugged him tight. "I don't want to lose this Justin.  Please, talk to someone. I know someone. I'll make the appointment. I'll go with you if you want me to. Please..." the tears she had been holding back now slipped out of the corners of her eyes.

"Awe, Daph, don't cry. I'm fine. I..." he stopped talking and held onto her tight. He began to tremble a little so she tightened her arms around him and they ended up rocking gently. Several minutes later Justin spoke again. "I need to see where all this is going with you and Kinney.  I know I haven't been myself but I need this to just... Maybe after your investigation..."

"Justin, go now. It will make you stronger for all the rest."

"I promise I'll really think about it. I should go."

"You should not go. You aren't in any shape to drive." She stood and offered her hand. "We're going to bed and you can drive home in the morning."

"You've always wanted to get me back in bed," Justin said, giving her a weak smile. 

"Shut up and leave your boxers on."

They both got in bed and Daph kissed his cheek. "Good night."

Justin laid a hand on the side of her face and said, "Daphne, I love you. Thank you for caring."

"I love you, too, Justin." She wrapped her arms around him and they went to sleep.

By the time Daphne woke up, Justin had left. He had put a note on her table thanking her for sharing her bed and he would call her later. She made coffee for herself and then sat down, opened her laptop, got out her notes from yesterday's meeting, and started her research.  

 

On Friday, Daphne headed to Brian's loft. She tried calling Justin again. She had not heard from him since their dinner. She wasn't really worried because when he was in the groove of a project it could be days but after their dinner out she had to admit she wished he would contact her. She was sure he would feel better if he talked to someone. The trauma he had suffered in his life had to always be on his mind and there had been a few times he admitted it to her but the fact Brian was now digging up the past, was not going to be easy for him. Her biggest hope was they would find Caleb Franklin and get him put away, hopefully for the rest of his life. She left Justin another message, this time saying she was stopping at the studio on her way back and if he wouldn't be there to let her know. She knew she might go out of her way but she needed to hear from him. 

Brian buzzed Daphne in and she took the elevator up to his loft. "Hey, Daphne, any trouble finding the place?" He kissed her cheek and waved her in.

"The Uber had no trouble. You haven't had contact with Justin have you?"

"No, why?" Brian stopped and gave her his full attention.

"It is probably all in my head but I haven't heard from him since the day we met and he hasn't responded to any of my messages. Now if he has a project going that isn't unheard of but he usually asks me to bring him food or something."

"Why haven't you checked on him?" Daphne didn't miss his concern. "Sorry, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I know the crazy building collapse shook me up, and although he seemed very calm during the event, I now see he probably had to shut down to cope."

"I agree. I am afraid he isn't responding to my calls because I told him he should talk to someone."

"What did he say to that?"

"He said he would see where our research went. Speaking of research, have you found Franklin?"

"I am waiting for verification but I think I have found him. There was no Caleb Franklin but there  happened to be two Calab Franken's. I am just waiting to see images of them and see if one of them is the coach."

"I am sure you will recognize him."

"Especially if they have pictures of his cock," Brian said with a laugh but then sobered up. "That would have been funny before I realized he preyed on many others."

Daphne looked stonily at him for a minute. "Now, do you want to see what I found?"

The next two hours they reviewed students, now adults, that had made complaints during the time Caleb Franklin taught in Pittsburgh. She had seen that he rarely spent more than three years at one school before moving within the system. He left the area once he had taught in 4 high schools. Records said he left the country and then she hadn't been able to track him yet.  She had actually run into the same issue Brian had. She wasn't sure which Caleb Franklin to track. Two men named Caleb Franken came back to the states at the same time.  

"I realized these two men came back the same day and literally the same time.  They returned from the same country but landed on two different coasts. Do you think they could have cloned a passport and somehow, because it was the same time, they outsmarted the system?"

"Wow, Daph, do you think they could really do that?"

"I spoke to someone that worked for customs and he said it couldn't happen today because they have improved the system but five years ago, if they timed it right, he thinks they would have thought it was a glitch. Oh, I forgot to mention that the airport codes were very similar. They  probably thought it was just a system error."

"You are better than I thought. This is excellent work. By Monday I should have the correct man identified. Have you started calling complainants yet?"

"No. I needed to make sure that you had found out the same thing, and now I will start the search on this end while you pursue the despicable bastard."

After another half hour wrapping up details, Daphne stood and checked her phone once more. "I am going to check on Justin."

"Let me drive you. I'd like to try to convince him to..."

"Brian, I will gladly take the ride and of course you can talk to him but, please, don't push him.  I don't think he is ready to face it yet. I will keep working on the counseling angle."

"Daphne, I hope you trust me enough by now that you know I wouldn't hurt him." They left the loft and moved toward his car.

"I am getting there on the trust thing." Brian opened the door to his car and she got in. When he got behind the wheel, Daph continued. "What is your interest in him? Are you impressed with his talent and want to help promote that? Does the investigation keep you interested, or is this something more personal?"

Brian stopped at a red light and glanced her way, "You really are up in his business and now mine, I guess."

"Well, why are you interested?"

"If I am totally honest, I'm still not sure. I am not the type to settle down but I have found myself more interested in staying home and looking at his art than spending the night at the club. Not only is he really talented but he is so fucking gorgeous. I just want to..."

"Enough, Brian. I really don't want to think about the nefarious activities you would like to do with him. He will have sex from time to time with a hook up for a night but he won't go beyond that unless he thinks there's a chance it could become something more. He does not have casual short term relationships."

"You told me that before. I can't say I want a long term relationship with anyone right now but I can assure you I don't need to force him to have sex with me. I always have several numbers I can call and have someone at the loft within half an hour."

As he pulled into the studio parking lot, Daph got a message from Justin. "Can you meet me at the diner in thirty minutes?"

"Do you know the Liberty Diner?"

"I just about grew up there. Is Justin there?"

"He will be. I just got a dinner invitation."

"Are you going to tell him I will be there?"

"No. I want him to show up, and right now I don't know if he would, if he knew you were coming along."

Brian shrugged, "Ya, I can see that. Let's go." He pulled out onto the road and then said, "Daph, do I look okay?"

Daphne smiled, "Brian, you always look great."

 

By the time Justin arrived Brian and Daphne were in the same booth she and Justin used last time. Debbie had also sat down next to Daph leaving only the spot next to Brian open. "Looks like your sunshine has arrived. You know, Brian, this one is..."

Daphne cut Debbie off, "Justin, Brian happened to be driving me when you texted so I invited him along." Justin slipped into the seat next to Brian leaving space between them.

"I'll put in an order of onion rings and be right back with the menus," Debbie said as she stood, winked at Brian, and moved toward the kitchen.

Justin looked tired and more disheveled than Daphne had seen him. Brian saw the strain on his face, but had to admit, the growth of beard and unkempt hair made him all the more sexy to him. "I hope you don't mind that I'm here. Daph was worried about you. She said you had been ignoring her calls."

"What are you now, her personal muscle? Or are you just trying to get me to change my mind about giving an interview for the Coach Franklin thing." Justin snapped, looking first at Daphne and then turned to face Brian.

"Justin, that isn't it at all. Brian knew I was concerned about you. I have been trying to get a hold of you for days and you kept ignoring me." Daph locked eyes with him. 

Justin slouched a little. "Sorry, I have just been absorbed by this project." He quickly added, "And don't have time to mess with something I'm not participating in."

"She just wanted to be sure you were doing alright," Brian defended Daph softly. "She cares about you."

Justin reached across the table and took his friend's hand. "You are right. I owed you at least a text." Debbie dropped off the onion rings and passed out the menus but had to rush off to bring food to another table. "I promise I will do better."

"I can tell you haven't been eating either, and showering..." Justin shrugged and sniffed at his shoulder.

"No, you don't stink. At least I haven't noticed anything I don't like." Brian's voice went low and a little flirty.

Daph rolled her eyes as Debbie returned to take their orders and then, after they all ordered, they dug into the onion rings and Daphne and Brian told Justin what they had discovered. "I still don't want anything to do with this. Sounds like you are getting some results and I am sure there are men out there that really want in on this fight. I don't."

"You don't have to, Justin. So what project are you working on now?" Daphne asked. By the time Justin talked about his latest commission, their food arrived. As they ate, Brian and Daphne both talked about projects they were working on but they stayed away from the Franklin/Franken case. Justin was quiet but interacted when he had something to say. As they ate Justin began to doze from time to time. "This has been fun but I have to meet a friend in an hour and I really need to go home and change. Justin, you are going to your apartment now, right? Not back to the studio?"

"Well I was going to..."

"I will tell your mom if you don't go home and get some sleep."

"Daph, that's not fair. You can't play the mom card. I have work." Daph took out her phone and he said, "Now what are you doing?"

"Canceling my plans. I can't let you be at the studio alone when you are this tired."

"Daphne, I'll take him to his apartment."

"Hello, I'm an adult sitting right here." Justin grumbled. "Don't cancel. I will go home. I do have my car."

"You can barely keep your eyes open. I'll cancel." Daph started texting again.

"Daph, if I let Brian drive me home, will you go have some fun?"

"Deal," Daphne made eye contact with Brian and he nodded ever so slowly. 

"I will escort him to his apartment. He is right, you deserve a night out and I don't have anything planned tonight."

"Brian Kinney doesn't have plans on a Friday night?" Justin questioned.

"No plans. If I feel like it I might go to a club but it has been a busy week and if I do go to the club it wouldn't be until 10:00 or so. Plenty of time to drop you off." 

"Well, you two can work things out. I am out of here." She started to dig for her wallet. 

"I have this," Brian said. "I hope he's cute." Daphne blushed as she turned and walked to the door.

"I really am fine to drive myself..."

"I have a feeling that Daphne ever got wind of that..."

"Fine. I'll be right back," Justin said as he stood and walked to the bathrooms.

"Sure, I'll pay the check." Brian walked up to the register and Debbie came over.

"Are you and that ray of sunshine an item?"

Brian laughed, "Not likely. He will barely have a business related meal with me. There is no hope for anything else."

"Brian, I think this one might be worth the effort. You know Michael is so happy now that he is married. They are working on giving me a grandchild."

"Hey, Justin, you ready?" Justin nodded and Brian turned to Debbie, "Let me know if Michael's coming to town." Brian placed his hand on the small of Justin's back and he guided him toward his Corvette. Once Brian had pulled out into traffic he began to head in the direction of Justin's apartment. "I'm going in the right direction, aren't I?" Justin gave him his address and they drove in silence for a few blocks but when they were stuck in traffic, Brian looked over at Justin and started to say something but then realized Justin was already asleep. He reached across the car and gently touched his cheek. He then turned his focus back on the road.

It had taken 30 minutes longer than normal to get to his place and as Brian stopped for one last red light, he reached over and rested his hand on Justin's shoulder, "Justin, we are at your building."

Justin slowly straightened in his seat and was confused, "What? Why do I feel like I have been asleep forever?"

"The 10 minute ride took 45. There was an accident that backed everything up." He pulled into a parking spot. "I'll go up with you."

"You don't need to. I can get into my own apartment."

"I'm sure you can but, shit, that ride took forever and I have to piss." Brian walked around the car and opened the door for him, extending his hand. Justin stared at it. "You never date men with manners?"

"This isn't a date."

"You're right, it isn't. If it was, I would be at my apartment." Justin took his hand, stood and Brian followed him into the building and onto the elevator. "This is a nice building. How long have you lived here? Did you say two months?"

"Three now." Justin opened the door and Brian followed him in. He pointed to a hall and Brian moved quickly down it and as soon as he saw the bathroom he ducked in.

Justin poured two whiskeys and when Brian came back out, Justin handed him one. "Here. One won't hurt you before you go home. It's the least I can do after you drove me home in that mess."

Brian walked over to the bank of windows and looked out over the city. "Well, now I can see the issue. The bridge is closed. Seeing how many emergency vehicles there are, it wasn't just a fender bender."

Justin walked over and looked down at the activity. His hand began to shake. An ambulance sped away and Justin emptied his glass as his whole body began to tremble. Brian took his elbow and led him back to the bar and made him sit. He poured another drink for him before he sat at the bar next to him but he didn't look at him.

"Justin, I don't give a fuck whether you want to join investigation but you need to talk to someone. They will know how to help you work through this."

"Kinney, this is none of your fucking..." A door slammed in the hall and Justin collapsed against Brian. Brian wrapped his arms around him and held him close. It took several minutes for Justin to stop shaking. Then he pulled away and straightened his spine, walked across the room. This time he walked to the fireplace and flipped a switch to turn it on.

Brian gave him some space but dropped onto a sectional. "Tell me about the bashing. I was at college when it happened. I was so pissed the asshole didn't get any time."

"I still can't walk through a parking garage alone and even with others I try to avoid them."

"I can understand that. Did you have a date?"

"Not really."

"Didn't I read you were leaving with a guy?"

"I was leaving with a friend. There was a group of us and we were just heading out to check into a hotel suite where the rest would be coming soon. I don't remember that night, but Daph told me about it." Justin had left the fireplace and sat on the other end of the seating arrangement. It took me three months to be able to function again and then I had to rethink college. At that point I wasn't able to draw or paint with any detail."

"It is amazing you can do what you do." Brian stood and got the whiskey bottle, bringing it over to Justin. After handing it to him, he sat much closer than he had before. "I bet even though you don't remember the ambulance ride to the hospital, your body does. I am sure what happened a couple weeks ago brought it back as triggers. It probably doesn't help that Daph and I are researching Coach."

"I don't want to talk about him," Brian said as saw the glaze of Justin's eyes. The whiskey was taking effect. Brian took the glass from Justin and set it on the table. Then he guided Justin's head to his lap and he ran his fingers through the blonde silk.

Brian continued to talk softly as he felt Justin go from resting his eyes to a deep sleep. He pulled a throw from the back of the sofa and covered him with it. He fell asleep himself for a while and woke up shortly after midnight. He slipped a pillow under Justin's head as he moved away from him. As he stood over him he bent down and kissed him gently on his lips. For a moment, Justin murmured something but the only thing he understood was the word kiss. Brian kissed him once more, lingering a little longer this time.

Brian moved and sat for a few minutes on the ottoman to make sure he was really asleep. He felt his phone vibrate and saw it was a message from Daphne.  It said she had heard about the accident near Justin's apartment and was just wondering if he had been settled when Brian had left him.

Brian returned a message. ‘He is calm and sleeping. Leaving now.'

 

Daphne read the message Brian had just sent. Brian had stayed with Justin until he was sleeping. She was learning that Brian Kinney's persona was over exaggerated. The playboy of gay Pittsburgh was extremely caring. She wasn't sure they had noticed it but tonight at the diner she could feel electricity between them. In her opinion, Brian and Justin had all the qualities that would support the other one. She hoped Brian could make Justin feel safe again and that Justin could show Brian what real love was all about.