- Text Size +

 

On Monday, Justin's new students had arrived and he was at the gallery with J.Jay and Sonya. By the end of the first week they had been given a court date. It was scheduled for the second week of August. Ms. Crawford had pulled some strings and got it expedited by letting the judge, who happened to be a fan of Justin Taylor's work, know Justin and his family were planning on a trip to Ireland to expand his work.  

The next two weeks Brian fielded phone calls from the lawyer's office while Justin went through another series of classes and another exhibit. There was one more group coming in, but these were high school students and they were from Atlanta. J.Jay and Sonya had agreed to run that one since it would overlap with the trial but Justin would pop in as often as he could. 

On Thursday, Justin had just brought Jessi in from the pool to put her down for a nap when he received a text message from the airlines. ‘Flight 2542 is running on time. Please be at the airport 2 hours before the flight.' He read it over a second time and then said, "Oh shit." He pulled a onesie over her head. "Sorry, sweetheart. I forgot Joan was coming. I also forgot to tell your daddy she was coming." Jessi patted Justin's face and then kissed his nose, sloppily. "I am going to have to tell your daddy. But it is too late to cancel her visit." He gave Jessi a snuggle and laid her in her crib. "Sleep, Sweetie and wish me luck. I meant to tell your daddy. I really did."

Justin left Jessi and moved towards the pool deck, but found Connie in the kitchen before going outside. He stopped when he saw her.

"Everything ok? You look a little upset. You didn't hear anything from your lawyer, did you?" She knew they were still hoping that Craig would back down. 

"Connie, remember when I told you I was inviting Brian's mother here for a few days?"

"Ya, you said he didn't want her to come but knew he would allow it because Gus wanted her to visit." She looked at him, straight in the eye. "Oh, Justin, you invited her and forgot to tell him."

"She will be here tomorrow and we have court starting on Monday. She will be here tomorrow and will need to be picked up at noon."

Connie looked out to the pool. Sonya, Rachel, Henry, and J.Jay were out there with Brian and the kids. I am heading to the store for a few. I'll send Brian in when I ask if anyone needs anything and when I get back, I'll get the guest room freshened up."

"Thanks, Connie." Justin looked at the clock. It was 2:00 p.m. but it was 5:00 somewhere. He pulled out two bottles of beer. And, after opening them, set them on the counter as he watched Brian walking toward the house. He was just in swim trunks and he looked like a bronzed god.  His hair had bleached, adding lighter streaks, and Justin felt a flutter in his chest and his balls. He picked up a bottle and took a long draw off of it just as Brian walked in.

"It's early for you, and drinking alone? What's wrong?" Brian was instantly worried.

"Not drinking alone for long." He handed Brian the second bottle. He took it but didn't take a drink. "Sunshine, you have a worried look on your face."

"Brian, you know I would never hide anything from you that is important, right?"

"Of course you wouldn't. What is it?" Brian held Justin's empty hand with his.

"We talked about your mom coming a month or so ago and how Gus really wanted her to visit."

"Is he asking for that again?"

"Brian, when we talked about it I set up a flight for her. I had planned to tell you about it but we got home and they sent us to Bermuda and..."

"When is she coming?" Brian asked as he pulled his hand away from Justin's.

"I'm picking her up at noon tomorrow."

"Fuck! Tomorrow?"

"Brian, I am so sorry," Justin walked close to him and reached for his cheek, resting his hand on it.

"Cancel it. Tell her she can't come." He jerked away from Justin's hand.

"Brian, I can't do that. She will be here in 24 hours. That's not fair." Justin stood up straight.

"Fuck fair. The fact is we will be in a hearing because of your father on Tuesday, I won't deal with her, too."

"Grow up, Brian." Justin was winding up now. "Our son would be devastated if she didn't come.  If you would think about him instead of your childhood hangups once in a while..." Justin stopped and the look on Brian's face told him everything he needed to know. He hadn't meant to say that. It wasn't true. Brian did so much for all of them. "Bri, I..."

"Glad to know how you really feel. Enjoy your time with my mother. I'll make sure I am out of here before she arrives."

"Brian, please, don't be this way. I'm sorry. I got angry. I know how much you do..." He stopped talking when Brian was out of sight. Moments later he heard drawers and doors slamming in the bedroom they shared and before he could decide whether he should follow him or not, Brian came back to the kitchen with a suitcase and without a word he moved through the family room and out the door. Justin heard the garage door go up and then, an engine started and as the motor got softer, Justin dropped onto a stool and dropped his head into his hands. What had he done? As he sat, thinking about what had just happened, he started getting angry. He had done nothing on purpose. He was under pressure, too. Fuck him! But what did this mean for the hearing? And where had Brian gone?

 

When everyone sat down for dinner that evening Brian's empty chair was obvious. "Daddy J., where's Daddy?"

"Oh, he had to go do something."

"Did he take a business trip?"

"Ya, something like that." Justin picked at his food and when it was time to get the kids ready for bed, he asked if Henry and Sonya could do that, assuring the kids he would be up for stories.

J.Jay stood and started clearing the table while Justin just sat staring into space. He stopped cleaning and sat down next to him and reached for his hand. "Justin? Can I do something?"

Justin slowly turned to J. and said, "No, not really. Brian overreacted and I said things I shouldn't have and now... the hearing is this week. My father will know something's going on. If he can't tell, his lawyer will have it figured out."

"Where is Brian?"

"I don't know. I thought he'd text me but he hasn't."

"You could text him."

"I didn't leave him. His mother arrives at noon tomorrow. That is the excuse I'm going to tell the kids. Gus doesn't understand it all but he knows his daddy and grandma don't talk. He will believe it as long as he doesn't see us together."

"Justin, I have never seen people more in love."

"But you have never seen a mother and son so far apart. Brian financially supports his mother as long as he doesn't have to interact with her."

"Then why is she coming?"

"Gus loves her and because of that, she loves him. It is important for him to know his family." Justin started to raise his voice and J. laid a hand gently on his arm having a calming effect. "Gus needs to know her," he said, all the energy out of his voice. "I better go read to the kids." Justin walked down the hall toward the bedrooms.

J.Jay paced back and forth until Henry and Sonya came back down. He moved over to him and gripped his arm tightly. Sonya saw the interaction and walked over, laying a hand on J.'s shoulder, "Let me know if I can help in any way." She left to go to the pool house.

"What is going on, babe?" Henry asked .

"Brian's left. They had a fight about his mom coming. Justin has no idea where he went. He is sick that Brian left and he is sick because this could affect the hearing."

"Well, let's see if we can at least find out where Brian is. You text Kevin. I'll text Brandy and Sal." Moments later Henry got a text back. ‘He's here and so is Father Kevin'.

 

"Brian, we can't help you if you won't talk to us." Kevin had been sitting next to his son for more than an hour and Brian had yet to acknowledge him. He had his head resting on his hands and his elbows on his knees just looking down at the floor. Brandy handed Kevin a bottle of water and tried to give one to Brian but he pushed her hand away.

"Fine!" Brandy turned and walked away. She moved to the kitchen and said to Sally, "I wonder if he always acts like such a child."

"Love," Sally turned and handed Kelin to her. "We don't have any idea why he is here although we now know something occurred at the house. Henry just messaged and said he doesn't know anything either except that Justin is a mess, too." She kissed Brandy and Kelin before saying, "I'm going to try talking to him. Why don't you make Kev a sandwich or something. He has to be hungry."

Sal walked into the living room and whispered, "Father Kev, let me have a few minutes. Get something to eat." She nodded toward the kitchen. Kev stood and kissed her cheek before walking to the kitchen.

Sally dropped to her knees and pushed her way between his legs, making him sit up a bit or fall onto her. He looked surprised and then their eyes locked. Before she said a word, she reached forward and hugged him. She felt a little resistance at first but then he was hugging her back. "Brian, what is going on? Why are you here and not with your kids and your husband?"

Brian sat up straight and offered his hand to Sally for her to sit next to him. Instead she grabbed an ottoman so she could see his eyes. She touched his cheek, "Tell me about it."

"My mother is coming tomorrow and he didn't tell me she was coming."

"That doesn't sound like Justin. He wouldn't do something like that on purpose. He would give you time to adjust to the idea."

"He says he forgot. He found out just before we left for Bermuda and then the asshole showed up and..."

"I have a feeling he wasn't thinking about your mother when you were in Bermuda."

"Well, no." Brian let his mind go back to that beach and that solid wood tub.

"Then what made you so angry?"

"He said I was selfish and needed to give up on childhood hangups. I don't have... I never..." He dropped his head in his hands again, "I have tried and I just can't shake it. I can't give up a childhood of pain."

Sally moved so she was sitting next to him and wrapped her arms around him. The woman who struggled with motherhood at first, had it down now. "But I know you love him."

"Of course I love him, but right now, while she is there, I can't even think about going back there."

"You need to talk to him. At least let him know where you are."

"You've already done that. Don't worry, I'll go to a hotel."

"The hell you will!" Brandy said as she and Kevin walked entered the room with a sandwich and a beer. "You'll stay in our spare room."

"Son, I'll stop by tomorrow. I am going to go to your place and sleep."

"Dad, let me... if he..." Brian couldn't complete any thought about Justin without saying he loved him so he didn't finish it. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I love you, son," Kevin said as he left the house.

 

When Kevin arrived at the house, Justin was sitting on the deck with a glass of amber liquid. In the distance lightning was playing across the sky and from time to time he could hear thunder rumbling. He was lost in the memories of the night at the beach. Kevin came from the side yard and in the darkness of the night, with the storm rolling in, Justin saw only the silhouette. He jumped up and said, "Brian?"

"It's me, Justin." Kevin moved closer and his face was now out of shadow.

"Have you seen Brian? Do you know where he is?"

Kevin walked over to his son-in-law and wrapped his arms around him. Justin held on to him for a few moments before he stepped back. "He is fine. I saw him a little bit ago."

"I know I should have told him she was coming but I really forgot. We had our surprise vacation and Dad showed up before... I've been so involved making sure the last class was ready since I wouldn't be there and... Kevin, he got so angry and he thought I did it on purpose. That got me mad and I said some terrible things. I shouldn't have... but he wouldn't listen long enough to realize I hadn't done anything on purpose." Justin turned and took a couple steps away from Kevin and then spun around, "Maybe he is as selfish as I said he was. His mom is coming. The hearing is next week and the kids are already confused." The storm had moved in and the wind had picked up and then the sky opened with a torrent of rain.

"Justin, we need to go in the house. That lightning is dangerous."

"Damn," Justin reluctantly let Kevin lead him to the house. He walked straight to the cupboard that held the alcohol and poured a glass for Kevin and refilled his own. 

"That's not going to fix anything."

"It may not fix it but it helps me forget." Justin downed the liquid. "Who am I kidding?" He brought his arm back and was going to throw it but then thought better of it and set it on the counter. "I'm sorry but I'm not in any mood to talk."

"You don't have to talk but please listen for a couple minutes. I have heard you both say, more times than I can count, that you breathe for each other. Just remember that when you speak.  Words can hurt far more than anything physical you could do to each other." Kevin gave him a hug before Justin walked away without a word.

Kevin looked toward the sky, said a silent prayer. Then he realized the guest bedroom would be ready for Joan so went down the hall to share Gus' bed.

 

Neither Brian nor Justin slept much. As Justin finally fell into a fitful sleep at 4:00 a.m., Brian slipped out of his sisters' house with his suitcase and drove away. He drove aimlessly eastward. As he ran out of road and met the ocean in Savannah, Kevin knocked on Brandy and Sally's door. Sally met him with Kelin in her arms. As Kevin reached for his granddaughter, Sally said, "He's gone, Father Kev. We don't know when he left but when that little vixen woke up at 5:30, he was gone and he hasn't responded to our texts. I was hoping he went home but you wouldn't be here if that was true."

Brandy walked over and kissed Kevin's cheek as well as her daughter's. "Sal told you?"

"She did. Did he leave a note or anything?" As Kevin asked his question, all three cell phones in the room went off. 

Brian had sent a group text. It said, ‘I am fine. I am turning my phone off but will be in touch tomorrow.'

Kevin noticed Justin was included in the text. His son hadn't even sent a private message to his husband. This really wasn't good. Now he didn't know where Brian was and he wouldn't be able to talk to him. 

"Dad, can't phones be tracked?"

"If he turned it off, no, but we could see if they could tell us where he was when he sent this message but it will take a bit to find it, I think." Kevin thought for a moment. He kissed Kelin as he passed her to Brandy. "I better go back to the house. Justin has to be upset. I'll let you know if we hear anything."

"Please tell Justin if he needs anything, we're here. I know he has plenty of help, so maybe if he just needs to get away..." Sally said as Kevin walked to the car. 

Brandy put her arm around Sally and kissed her cheek. "What the hell is he thinking?"

"Brandy, he covers it up so well but he really is a hurt little boy. Justin didn't mean to cause this but now that it has happened Brian feels like a failure again."

"I know you're right but the timing is horrible for this to happen. Justin knows how to deal with him, but if he isn't here and Justin is worrying about the hearing plus dealing with Mommy Dearest."

"We'll see about going over there for dinner. At least we can support them all that way." Sally kissed Brandy. "Can we take a nap?"

"We just got up." Brandy looked at Sally's face. "Oh, a nap... Definitely. We definitely have time for that."

 

As Kevin drove over to the house, he called James. "Father Kevin, what's wrong?" 

Kevin filled him in and then said, "I know he turned off his phone but he sent us a message about 30 minutes ago. Is there a way for you to track where it came from?"

"Let me call our security team. I will get back to you. Father Kevin, how is Justin?"

"I am pulling up now. I'll let you know when you call back." Kevin entered the house and found Justin was sitting at the table with the kids along with Sonya and Henry. He looked calm and in control but Kevin could see emotionally he had shut down for everyone except his kids.  

"GRANDPA!" Gus called when he saw him. Aaron and Jessi followed with a ‘Papa' full of excitement. "Grandpa, did you know Grandma Joan is coming today?"

"I did hear that. That is so exciting." Kevin kissed all three of the kids and tried to squeeze Justin's shoulder but he pulled away. 

"Justin, I was wondering if you had time to pick Joan up or if you would like me to."

"I got it. Gus is coming with me. Henry and Sonya are going to watch the other two. Gus, why don't you go and get dressed. You can't go to the airport in your pajamas."

"I'll come along in case you need a little help. Is that alright?" Sonya asked as she stood.

"Thank you, I want to look good for Grandma." They walked hand in hand toward the bedroom.

"Justin, you got the text, right?"

"Of course I did," Justin said as he lifted Jessi out of her highchair. "Henry, if you will take these two and get them dressed for the day, I'll clean up the kitchen. Connie will be back by lunch."

Henry helped Aaron down and then took Jessi from Justin before walking out of the kitchen with them.

Kevin started to help clear the table while Justin put away the food. They nearly ran into each other by the sink and Kevin opened his mouth. "Don't say anything, Kevin. You don't know where he is, do you?" Kevin shook his head. "Then at the moment you can't help."

"James is trying to track his phone. He should be calling me back soon."

"What if we don't find him? What if he doesn't show up for the hearing?" Justin's voice cracked and then turned away. "I need to go get dressed. Gus and I will be leaving in about half an hour."

"I'll text if James finds out where he is."

"Don't bother. And when I get back with Joan, don't tell her he's left. I'll come up with a reason he isn't here if she asks. I told the kids he had to fly back to Pittsburgh for something. It will work for her too."

"Justin, I don't know what went on really, but I know my son and he will be back. He loves you and your kids. He is just working through something."

"He left because I lost my temper and said things I shouldn't have. I ran him off." Justin saw Kevin walking toward him. "NO, don't touch me. Please. I just can't..."

"Justin?" Kevin stood about six feet from him. Justin looked him in the eye. "I love Brian but I love you, too. I'm here if you need anything and whether you like it or not, I will be here most of the weekend, unless I need to go get him. I won't get in the way, but I'll be here if someone needs a grandpa." Justin nodded and disappeared down the hall.

 

"Jamesy, did you find Brian?" Emmett set a cup of coffee in front of his husband, kissing his dark mocha cheek.

"I think he is in Savannah. I am waiting for a credit card report." 

"How do you know how to do all this?"

"It's been a while, but it isn't difficult when you have people." He looked up with a sad smile on his face. I wish Brian could find his way out of his childhood. 99% of the time he can manage to do anything but then there is that 1% of the time when he becomes that broken child." James clicked on his computer and sat silently as he read the email that came in. 

"Well? He is in Savannah. The problem is he picked up a bunch of cash at the ATM so he isn't using the card around town."

"James, I'll buy your ticket. You need to go down and find him."

The door opened and Ronni walked in. "I need a baby fix. Where is my beautiful Amelia? Did I hear you say tickets?"

"Brian and Justin had a disagreement and Brian left Atlanta. I tracked him to Savannah."

"Why don't you both go? Take a few days down there. Just be back by the end of the week because Dante and I are going away."

"Oh, Mom," Em got up and hugged his mother-in-law. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am. Em, you pack for the two of you. James, you get the tickets and I will pack for Amilia when she wakes. At least I am guessing she is sleeping."

"She is," James responded. "And thank you, Mom." James found tickets in moments. "Em, can we be ready in 20 minutes?"

"Yes, no problem. As long as we have our speedos we don't need much else." Em smiled at James.

"You will pack clothes for us." James added, "I want to show you off in Savannah."

"Alright, Love. Give me ten minutes. Do we have a flight?"

"First class was all that was left."

"Praise the lord."

 

Gus had sat in the back seat with his grandmother talking nonstop from the airport. Justin glanced in the mirror often and each time Joan was smiling at Gus and reacting to everything he said. "And Grandma, Jessi is walking. Can you believe that?"

"Well, that is exciting, Gus," Joan responded.

Justin pulled into the drive and as he pulled Joan's luggage out of the back, Gus showed his grandma that he could unbuckle himself from the carseat and they walked hand in hand with Justin behind them.

Kevin greeted them at the door, "Nice to see you, Joan," he said politely. 

"Grandpa, where are Jessi and Aaron? Grandma wants to see Jessi walk."

Kevin smiled at his grandson, "She will be awake soon enough. Why don't you take your grandma to her room. I think your daddy has already brought her luggage there."

Gus took her hand and led her away just as Justin returned. "James contacted me. He and Emmett are following a trail. He said they were going to Savannah but they don't know where he is in the city."

"If you want to go, Justin, I can stay here."

"But you and Joan..."

"Are adults that can spend time with our grandchildren together if we need to."

"Thanks, Kevin. I just don't... The hearing is four days away. What if he doesn't come back?"

"Justin," Kevin said, touching his son-in-law's chest. You know he loves you and you love him.  This is just something he needs to work through."

"But it is because of what I said. If he..."

"He loves you. He will be back before Tuesday."

"I hope so. I wish he would... I miss him so much but I can't deal with that now."

 

Brian checked into a hotel and left without knowing where he was going. He drove aimlessly and ended up near the beach. He found a bench and sat down. All he could think about was their trip to Bermuda and he knew he had failed Justin again. He knew Justin didn't mean what he said. He was angry, but after he said it Brian realized he really was failing his family. The idea of spending the week with his mother and the hearing, he was avoiding the situation just like he always did when it came to her.  

He wasn't sure how long he had sat there. When he snapped out of his haze he realized he was hungry and he walked to a small bar. He sat down and ordered a drink.

 

"So do we have a plan?" Emmett asked as they picked up a rental car and drove away from the airport. "I've had Connor calling all the hotels and we have a few to check out."

"Without tracking his card, how..."

"Connor sent his photo to several hotels and two of them had someone that fit his description and since he hasn't been using a card, I figured it'll be a hotel that wasn't too expensive."

"That makes sense."

It was the third hotel they stopped at that the young desk clerk said, "Oh, that's Kinney. I saw him leave earlier. I don't know if he came back. He's not in any trouble is he? He is quiet but he is still nice."

"Can you tell us his room number?" Emmett asked.

"Not if I want to keep working here. He has a wedding band on. Is he married?"

"He is. His husband is a gorgeous blonde."

"Figures. Is there a number I can reach you at?"

James handed him his card with his cell number on it. "Please give us a call if you can tell us anything and if nothing else, can you call us when he leaves? I'll make it worth your while."

Em and James walked toward the door and Em stopped, "One second, Babe." He went back to the desk and came back with a slip of paper."

"What's that?" James asked.

"Since we are in this historic city, I thought we could take a stroll and look for Brian's rental. I got the plate number."

James put his arm around Emmett's waist and said, "That was a great idea. I should have thought of that."

"We are going to find him in some dive, nursing a beer. He didn't come here for the architecture."

The men had walked through the nearby area but then went back to get their car and drove the other direction. They found a place to park and stood on the sidewalk. "Let's get an early dinner.  It's been a long day and we don't have a place to stay yet," James said. "I am getting really hungry."

"Sounds good but we do have a place to stay. When I asked for the license plate I told him to hold a room for us." He kissed James. "This city is beautiful." He turned toward the ocean which was only a couple blocks away. "James, there's his SUV!"

They spent the next half hour looking for him and finally James said, "Let's eat and then head back to the hotel. He's probably back there with a bottle of Jack."

They walked into a little bistro and were shown to a booth. They ordered drinks and were given a basket of bread and started studying the menu.

 

"Hey, do you serve food here?" Brian asked. "I'm not in the mood for pub food. I'm sure it's good but..."

The bartender smiled. "Is everything alright, buddy? Can't you smell the food? That door goes to our restaurant."

"Well, it's been one of those days," he said and walked into the bistro. It was early so he could be seated immediately. There were a few occupied booths and when the server started leading him to a table he asked if he could have a booth. Once he was seated, he ordered the special. He pulled out his phone and started flipping through pictures of the kids. Damn, he missed them. And then there was a picture of Sunshine at the first gallery show this summer. He could almost feel his skin sliding over his body and he wanted to cry.

 

James and Em ordered and carried on a conversation. They talked about Amelia. "I miss her so much." Em said softly.

"I do, too, but we know she is in good hands, and I have to admit, I hope we can find him so we can spend a couple days here." James reached across the table and touched Em's cheek. "It has been a long time since we have had time for just the two of us."

"We will start early tomorrow morning and get him straightened out and on his way back where he belongs."

 

As he started eating the food that had arrived at his table, he could hear two men talking softly.  Just from the tone of their voices he could tell they were in love. It made him hurt even more.  When the server came back and asked if he would like anything else, Brian said he wanted to pay for the other couple's meal if they hadn't paid yet. "Let me check with their server. I'll be right back."

His card was returned along with the receipt for the second table and one last drink. Brian was in no hurry to return to his empty room where he knew he would either wallow in pity or drink himself into a stupor or both.

 

"We're ready for our check," Em said as the server asked if they needed something else.

"Actually, the gentleman in the end booth paid for your meal."

"Why would a stranger pay for our meal?" James asked.

"He said he could hear you loved each other from the tone of your voices," the server said.  "And he gave me a great tip so don't worry about that." The door opened and more customers came in. "I need to seat them." She nodded and left the table.

"Well, we need to go thank that sweetie. That was so nice of him. I bet it is a little old man who has lost his husband and he misses him."

James and Em stood up and walked to the end booth. Em started talking before he could even see the occupant. "Sir, we want to thank you for..." he stopped. "BRIAN!"