- Text Size +

 

"What the..." Brian stopped as Emmett sat down across from Brian with James following. "I didn't invite you to sit," Brian grumbled without his normal sardonic wit.

James started the conversation. "Kevin called. Everyone's very worried about you."

"I've barely been gone for 12 hours."

"Brian, Sunshine is..." Emmett remembered Brian hated it when he called Justin that. In a gentle tone he continued, "Justin has a lot on his mind. Your m... With a visitor and the hearing coming up, he could really use you."

Brian visibly deflated in front of him. It was as if he had no fight left. "I know I am a screw up. I have always been a screw up but now with a family it means so much more. I always fear that he's going to realize what I fake I am." 

Brian emptied his glass. He held up his hand to the server but James shook his head at her.  "Let's go to your hotel. You go with Em and I'll drive yours back. I think you've had a couple too many."

"I could..." Brian stood, needing to reach for the table to stable himself. He looked at James and stopped. "Ok. I'm at..."

Em had stood and looped an arm around his waist. "We know, Bri. We are staying there, too." Em touched James' cheek. "We'll see you back at the hotel later." 

James understood. Emmett might take him somewhere to talk before returning. "That'll be fine.  I'll call Mom and check on Amelia." Emmett reached to kiss James, still leaving an arm around Brian to stabilize him.

"Love you, James." Em said as he walked with Brian to the door. James followed close behind, separating when they got to the sidewalk. "Here's the car, Brian." Em opened the door and made sure Brian got in safely but didn't want him to feel smothered.

Once Em had pulled out into traffic, Brian said softly, "Have you talked to him?"

"No. James has been in contact with Kevin, and he may have talked to Justin for a couple minutes but he has gone into defense mode. You know what I mean. You know him better than I do."

"I wonder sometimes. The things he said, now I know I deserved it but... I just wonder how much he actually feels that way."

Emmett pulled into a beachfront parking lot. "Let's take a walk."

"I can't do that. I tried that this afternoon. I just can't. I keep thinking about Bermuda and Sunshine and..."

"Fine, we can sit on that bench and talk."

"Can't we just..."

"Kinney, I left my baby in Pittsburgh to come find you. This morning I had a weekend planned of staying home with my family and now I am sitting at the beach listening to the waves. Okay, so this weekend isn't so bad but, Brian, this is not where you belong this weekend. I know you don't want to hear it but you belong with your family and your mother. Now get out of this vehicle and we will go sit on the bench." Em got out of the car and waited for him.

Brian followed Emmett. "That woman may have given me birth but Kevin is much more of a parent than she ever was."

Em linked his arm with Brian's and led him down to the bench. "Brian, I know your childhood was shit. So was mine, even though it was very different. I could always find a family member for security so I ran home. You ran away from home and landed at Debbie's. But Brian, we are now both amazingly blessed. We have families that love us no matter what. They will always be there for us and you know what is best? They miss us when we're not around." Emmett looked over at Brian and could tell he was really listening. "Brian, going back now doesn't mean everything has been resolved, but it does mean that you want it to be."

"Now, I just need to figure out how to do that."

 

Once James got in Brian's car and saw Em and Brian pull away he called Kevin. "Did you find him? Please tell me you know where he is."

"He is fine, Kevin. We found him in Savannah. Emmett is talking to him right now. I can't tell you much more right now. Can you let Justin know, and the girls, and we will call you in the morning.  Tell Justin, we won't let him alone tonight. One of us will always be with him."

"Thanks, James. I know the two of you understand Brian."

"I'll try to get him to call you in the morning. When we found him, he had been drinking so I am sure he will be asleep soon."

"Justin just put the kids down and I hear him coming so I'll talk to you in the morning. And James, thank you."

"James! That was James? Did they find him? Is he alright?" Justin rushed over and grabbed Kevin's phone out of his hand.

"He has hung up, Justin, but Brian is with them. He is safe and they will be with him all night. They will call us in the morning."

"I am so relieved, but I am also angry that he left like that."

"Who left?" Joan walked into the kitchen.

"Gus fell asleep? He has to be tired after talking as much as he did today," Kevin smiled pleasantly.   

She smiled, "He is such a sweet little boy. I don't know how Brian could be..."

"Joan, don't say it!" Justin snapped. Brian is the one who is gone. He left because he didn't want to deal with your bullshit. Brian is the best man I have ever met. He is kind and generous. He has so many people who depend on him, including you. Knowing you would come with all your bullshit just tipped him over the edge. Gus is what Brian would have been if he had been loved and nurtured." 

Before Justin could continue Kevin placed a hand on his shoulder. "Justin, this isn't going to help."

"I know you're right, Kevin. I think I better go to my room. I'm not very good company tonight.  Joan, I won't apologize for what I said but I do apologize for speaking to you that way." Before Joan could reply, Justin left.

She accepted a glass of wine that Kevin offered her. "The night has cooled off for a change.  Why don't we enjoy it?" He picked up the bottle of wine and his glass and together they walked out to the deck.

"So Brian deserted his family?"

"Joan, why can't you give that up. It wasn't his fault that he was born because of our tryst. And it is somewhat understandable why Jack felt as he did, but you, you gave birth to him."

"He was just ..."

"The spitting image of me and since you couldn't have me you didn't want him?"

"If I am honest, I just didn't know what to do." She looked off into the distance and said, "I was never a nice person. Anna got all that. That is probably why you fell in love with her. I was jealous of her handsome soldier. I already had one child and Jack had already started drinking copious amounts of alcohol. It wasn't my fault. I couldn't do it all on my own. I wasn't strong."

"Brian has told me you were very strong sometimes." He stared at her until she looked at him.

"I can't change the past. I am happy to have a relationship with his kids."

Kevin didn't want to lose his temper. He knew Joan had been damaged somehow. "Have you ever thought about apologizing or at least trying to make amends?"

"He won't accept anything. I have tried."

Not very hard, Kevin thought. "I am so proud of him. He is generous to a fault and he and Justin are two of the best parents I have ever seen. You can see that in their personalities. Even little Jessi is already so loving."

"Ya, they are great children."

They both sat quietly sipping their wine. After several minutes Joan softly said, "They are good parents." She then stood and said, "I have had a long day." She then smiled softly, "Those kids will keep me hopping tomorrow." 

Kevin thought he heard a different tone in her voice. He knew he got by with the conversation because he was a priest. He hoped, before she died, she and Brian would make peace. She didn't seem to need it, but Brian did. He needed a relationship with her. They didn't need to be close, but congenial would be nice.

 

Brian and Em sat on the bench for an hour. They talked about the old days. "Brian, did you know Justin was different that first night?"

"Different? Well, I knew I wanted to fuck him again."

"So there was something different about him."

"All you had to do was look at him to know he was special. Seeing him standing on that street, I knew I would be his first and I knew it would be good for my ego. I told him to always think of me when he had sex. "Who knew he'd be the only one I wanted?"

"What did he say that made you leave?"                    

"I lost my shit when he said Joan was coming. He had every right to be upset with me, and after he said I was selfish, I couldn't figure out what he wanted me to do. I know now he meant I was selfish not wanting to share my kids with her. When I was at Sal and Brandy's I thought about what he really meant and maybe I am selfish. I want things done my way. I know that's because I had no control for so long that now I want it all."

"Brian, you share control with Justin. You both have a say in your family and you both have different strengths and you defer to each other."

"Thanks, Emmett, but we butt heads..."

"Every couple has those kinds of arguments," Em draped his arm around Brian. They sat in silence, watching the moon gleam across the ocean. He was surprised when Brian's head dropped on his shoulder. "I think it is time we get you back to the hotel and tomorrow morning we will talk about getting you back to Atlanta."

Em stood and offered Brian a hand. He took it and they walked back to the car. Emmett opened the door for him and before getting in he looked at his old friend. "Thanks, Em. I am sorry I pulled you away from Amelia. I'm sorry all of this happened."

"I'm sorry you two had a fight, but as long as you behave and go back to Justin, James and I plan to spend the rest of the weekend in this amazing city." By the time they pulled into the hotel parking lot, Brian was sounds asleep. Em texted James to help him get Brian to his room.  Twenty minutes later Brian was tucked into bed and James and Em lay on the second bed in his room.            

"How is he? I mean is he ready to go back to Atlanta?" James asked as he wrapped his arms around Em, pulling him close. 

"I think he needs to talk to Kevin and maybe Justin, but I think he will be ready to go back tomorrow afternoon." Em's hand slipped into the front of James' shorts and began to stroke him softly. "And how is the most precious girl in the world?"

"Amelia is fine. I heard her say dada in the background." Em started kissing James' neck. "Hey, Brian is sleeping right there."

"Trust me, he isn't waking up until morning but something else is." Em ducked under the blankets while James shimmied out of his briefs. Soon James was grabbing a pillow and covering his mouth so as he climaxed into Emmett's skilled mouth, his noise would be minimal. Em removed the pillow from James' face and James flipped him so he was flat on his back and James kissed him until he was ready to explode. Em rushed to the bathroom and returned in a matter of a couple minutes. "Didn't want sticky sheets all night," he said, kissing James once more. Within minutes both James and Emmett had fallen asleep entwined in each other's arms and legs.

 

Brian woke up before the sun and, realizing he was still dressed from the night before, he grabbed the keys to his car off the desk and quietly walked out of the room. He drove back to the same beach they had been at last night, and after slipping off his shoes, started walking. Since it was so early, there were very few people out yet so he just dropped where he was into the sand. He had his phone with him but it was still off. He pressed the button and it lit up. Once it had rebooted several messages came in. Most of them had come in just after he had turned his phone off but one message had come in about three that morning. ‘Brian, please call me. We need to talk. The kids miss you. I miss you.'

Brian pressed a button and listened to the phone ring. "Brian?" Justin answered and if Brian wasn't mistaken, he had been in a deep sleep. 

"I woke you." Brian made it a statement.

"Please come home. You don't have to talk to her. We will work this out but I need you here for the hearing."

‘I shouldn't have left. I was selfish."

"Oh, Brian, I am so sorry I said that. You are never selfish."

"Sunshine, I love you."

"I love you, too. Come home?"

"I'll be home later today. I'll let you know when I'll be back."

 

"Where is he? Oh, shit, Justin is going to kill us." Emmett had jumped up when he saw the bed was empty. He went over and touched the sheets. "The bed is cold. He's been gone for a while."

While Em talked, James was pulling on clothes. "Are his keys gone?"

Em looked at the desk, "Yes, what if he ran again? Who knows where..."

James put his arms around him and kissed him, stopping the rambling. "You said he was good last night. I will go look for him. You stay here in case he comes back. I'll let you know when I find him." 

Em pulled him close for one more kiss. "I love you,"

"Love you, too," James said as he walked out the door.

Em grabbed his phone, not knowing if Brian had his own, but he texted him, ‘Brian Kinney, where are you? You are not where you are supposed to be!'

 

James arrived at the beach and saw Brian's car. He moved to the beach and looked in both directions. When he looked one direction he saw a sole man walking in his direction. He couldn't be sure but the man was built like Brian so he was fairly sure it was him. As he moved toward the man, the sun rose above the horizon and James was sure it was Brian, now."

"Hey, James." Brian waved as he walked. "Will you tell your husband you found me? He just texted me in a snit." 

James shot a message to Em and then looked at Brian. "I'm glad I found you. I thought it was you."

"Well, when I saw you, I knew it was you. There aren't many men with your physique. Not sure how Em snagged a man that looks like you."

"Brian, you're lucky I know you like him. Emmett has a heart bigger than anyone I have ever met and he has a body that..."

"Enough! I don't need to hear about his body. I do know he is a good guy and he has been a good friend."

"He was worried you had changed your mind and had headed somewhere this morning."

"I couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake the two of you so I just left. I called Sunshine." Brian was silent for a minute. "I told him I would be there sometime today."

"So you two are alright?" James put a hand on Brian's shoulder as they started walking back to their vehicles.

"We have some things to work out, mostly I do, but we need to be together with the hearing coming up. He has new students coming in that J.Jay will be taking care of, but Justin will want to meet with them, too.  And whether I want to or not, I need to talk to Joan."

"I'm so glad you two are talking. Let's drop off one of the vehicles, pick up Em, and get some breakfast."

"Sounds good. I'll meet you at the hotel."

 

Justin had breakfast made for the whole house when Connie arrived. "Either you couldn't sleep because you are so worried or you have heard from him and were too excited to sleep."

"James and Em found him in Savannah and he called me before sunrise. He is coming home. I don't know if he will stay here or with the girls or at the gallery but at least he will be here. I think Dad knows he left and I am sure he will try to use that against us. When we arrive as a united front, it will knock them off balance and I just want to see him. Right now I would give up a week of food for one kiss."

"I have a feeling you will be full tonight." Connie gave Justin a hug. "You know he loves you."

"I do, Connie, and I love him. I just wish I could help him and Joan make peace."

"You know that is something they will have to do on their own."

"I do." Justin said and he turned toward the hallway, hearing something.  

Then there was a blur rushing toward him. "Daddy!" Justin's mini me flung himself against his legs. Justin picked him up and snuggled him close. "Is Papa home?"

"Not at the moment, my love, but he will be home later."

"He swim with me?"

"If he gets home early enough, I am sure he will swim with you." Justin held onto his son for a few more moments before he said, "Are you hungry? I made breakfast."  

"Pannerckes?"

"Yes, Aaron, pancakes."

"Wif strawberries?"

"And blueberries, if you like." Soon Gus and Joan arrived and then Henry with Jessi. Justin could smile again. Brian would be home tonight.

 

Brian, James, and Emmett ate breakfast in a small diner. They talked about the kids and Britin.  And as they finished up, Em said, "Bri, you will drive back to Atlanta, won't you? I mean you won't just end up in Florida, will you?"

"No, Emmett, but I understand why you are asking. I wouldn't put him through that again."

"I believe you. Brian, I know how much you love him. The time he was missing, I know how hard that was for you and I know you left because you thought it was best for him. You let your emotions fuck you up but you know where you belong."

The men walked out and stopped on the walk. "Thank you," Brian said softly. "Em, I know we haven't always gotten along, but you were always straight with me, whether I wanted you to be or not. You are what a real friend is. James, take good care of him."

"I will, Brian." 

Brian took a couple more steps, "Oh, by the way, I called and got you a suite at the Perry Lane Hotel. Stay as many nights as you want. Just let them know when you plan to leave." Brian dropped into the car and took out his phone. He texted Justin. ‘Leaving now. I should be home around 2.  I'll text when I am about an hour out.'

 

James and Emmett collected their things from one hotel and after dropping their luggage at the front desk to be brought up to their room, they went to the beach and walked, first talking a bit, but then fell into a comfortable silence, thinking about the evening ahead.

 

"Are you sure that is smart?" Justin asked Connie.

"I do. You and Brian need time to talk. You both know you need some time, talking, and I do mean talking. I know it is none of my business but it's my opinion you might need to take a break until the hearing is complete. You both need to focus on what happened and on getting Aaron free and clear of Craig."

"I think you're right. I'll have him meet me at the gallery so we can talk everything through."

"Thanks, Connie. We will order pizza for everyone for dinner tonight and let the kids know we will be here to swim before eating."

"I will let them know."

 

Justin texted Brian and asked him to meet him at the gallery. Justin was there about half an hour before Brian should arrive. He had picked up a large bottle of sparkling water and some cheese and crackers. And although Brian might think it was stupid, he picked up a single red rose for him. As hard as it would be, he agreed with Connie, it would be best to focus all their energy on what they needed to focus on, Aaron and Joan.

Brian pulled up to the gallery. He had stopped and picked up two dozen roses as soon as he got to the city and now Justin was walking out the door to meet him. Why was he nervous? He stood and, carrying the armful of flowers they met halfway between the car and the building.

"Oh, Brian, they are crazy beautiful."

"So are you." Brian handed the flowers to him and then resting one hand on Justin's cheek, he leaned forward and gave him a featherlight kiss. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left."

"What's important is that you are here now and we are ready to fight for our son." Justin took Brian's hand and they entered the gallery together. "I haven't seen Dad but I feel like he has someone following me."

"How much misery has Joan caused?" Justin led Brian to a sofa and they sat down, neither letting go of the other's hand.

"The kids love having her around," Justin said softly. "Bri, I wish I could do something to help you through this. I understand why it is hard for you. I do. But our kids..." He felt Brian tense a bit. "I am sorry for what I said. I don't even know what I all said but I know I called you selfish and you are anything but selfish." Justin put a hand on Brian's cheek. "I love you so much." He kissed him gently. Brian deepened the kiss, pulling Justin close but soon Justin was pulling back. "Brian, we can't do this. We both know we still have some things to work through. I'm not throwing this back at you, but once and for all you need to settle this. You don't have to like her but she will always be part of our family."

Brian stood and started pacing around the sofa. Justin saw the look on his face and worried he had pushed it too far, but he knew that was the only way this wouldn't happen again. Justin stood and wrapped his arms around Brian's waist from behind and kissed his back. Brian stood motionless for a full minute and then he finally said, "You're right. If I can't let it go, I really am as selfish as you said I was." He turned and slipped his arms around Justin.

"I'll be there to help in any way I can. If you want me to talk to her I will, but this can wait until after the hearing. I think focusing on Aaron is all we can do right now." Justin noticed something over Brian's shoulder. "There he is!" Justin started moving to the door.

"There ‘who' is?"

"The man that has been tracking me." Before he could finish the sentence Brian was out the door, and then, with the man walking away very nonchalantly, Brian tackled him to the ground before he made it to the parking lot. Justin ran up just in time to stop Brian from hitting him. 

Brian looked at the guy, "Tell the asshole you work for that he doesn't have a prayer and he doesn't really want Aaron, anyway. He just doesn't want us to have him." Brian yanked the guy up to his feet.  

"Just tell my dad that he doesn't have enough love for our son. He has two fathers that would give their lives for him. Craig nearly took my life because of his ‘love'."

"I think I..." the man started to say.

"I don't give a fuck what you think. Get the hell off these grounds." Brian gave him a gentle shove toward the cars. He jogged to his car and was gone. "I want to see our kids. I will do my best to stay neutral with her until Aaron is ours."

"Thank you, Bri."

"And I am going to talk to our lawyer, letting him know what just happened."

 

The rest of the day was for the kids. They all were out by the pool. Joan played with Jessi from her spot under an umbrella while Brian and Justin were in the pool playing with boys. There were hugs and kisses between the fathers and their sons and more than once Brian saw his mother watching them. She seemed to watch all four of them and their interactions. 

After the kids went to bed, Brian and Justin sat outside and talked quietly but when it was time to go to sleep, Brian went into the boys' room and slept there. They were repairing hurt feelings and would come out stronger for it in the end. 

The next day was much the same. Connie got in the pool for a bit and then went and sat by Joan. "Are you having a nice time?" she asked the solemn woman.

"Yes, I am. Brian always does live in luxury."

"He has worked hard for everything he has. From what I understand from the time he left college he took care of himself and helped with your bills."

Joan stiffened, "I didn't know Jack was doing that. He never told me that."

"But he does pay most of your bills now, doesn't he?"

"Well, yes, but that is what a son should do for his mother."

"Why, because his mother always did so much for him? I have seen you watching them ever since Brian got home. What are you thinking?"

"Connie, I don't think that is any of your..."

"You're right. I just want you to realize what a wonderful family they make. You had a traditional marriage and how was that? This is one of the happiest families I have ever met, and your son and son-in-law are committed to their kids and to each other." Connie stood, "I'm sorry, I really overstepped. I am just a bit protective of them. Excuse me, I am going to start dinner."

 

On Monday Brian and Justin spent the morning at the lawyer's office. Craig would be coming to talk to his lawyer after 1:00 so they would be gone by then. Their attorney went over key points and reviewed all Craig's allegations. The most damning for Brian and Justin was the last couple days. The PI knew Brian had disappeared and then returned.

"But the fact that he had us followed..." Justin started saying.

"Yes, the fact he had you tracked is not going to play well for him." 

They went over several details and how questions should be answered and then they went out for lunch. After they ordered, Brian took Justin's hand, "Is it my imagination or has Joan been extra quiet."

"Well, I don't think she has ever been a big conversationalist when it comes to us. She said she is planning to come to the hearing tomorrow. You don't think she would support Craig, do you?"

"I don't put anything past my mother." Brian said, squeezing his hand.

"I don't think she would do anything that would hurt Gus, and losing Aaron would hurt him greatly."

"You're right, Sunshine. I have to admit I think she really does love the kids and she seems to have a grandmotherly feeling for them."

"Brian, tomorrow, no matter what happens, I want you back in our bed. I miss you."

"I can't wait to be there. Why do you put up with all my shit?"

"Because along with your shit is an amazing soul of a human." Justin stood and kissed him.  "Now it is time to get to the house. I have to make sure today went well for J.Jay and that I don't need to adjust something tonight so he and Sonya can continue with this class."

 

That night they stood outside of the master bedroom kissing and talking softly like teenagers at the front door but when they finally said goodnight and they both went to bed, they both lay awake until well after midnight hoping for the best outcome.