- Text Size +

 

Tuesday morning Brian was surprised to see his mother already in the kitchen when he walked in. "Would you like a cup of coffee?" Joan asked. Her voice was softer than he expected.

Brian looked at her curiously. "Sure," he was wondering what she wanted. "Forgive me, but I don't know if you ever made a cup of coffee for me."

"Brian, I want to go to the hearing today."

"Why?" Brian accepted the cup. "You have never cared what happened to my family."

"Joan, of course you can come." Justin said as he walked in and kissed Brian, squeezing his shoulder gently.

"He's right. It is good for you to come along. Gus would wonder why you didn't come along." Brian didn't see Joan flinch but Justin did. "What's for breakfast?" Brian changed the subject.

From nowhere, Connie appeared. Give me fifteen minutes and we will have eggs, sausage, and sweet rolls."

"Bri, why don't we go take a quick shower while we have time."

"Sunshine, are you sure that is a smart idea? I mean..."

"Come on." Justin pulled him along. 

Once they entered the bedroom, Brian pulled him close and kissed him. "I want you so bad. I am not sure I can stand in a shower with you without..."

"You can because we are both focused on our family and I'm glad you agreed to having your mom come. She really seems to be trying." As Justin talked they both undressed and strode into the shower.

"Why do you think she is trying?" Brian began to wash Justin's back but was also kissing his neck.

"When you questioned why she wanted to come, she looked like you hit her and she didn't come back with a nasty comment. Connie talked to her yesterday."

"What did she say to her?"

"I have no idea but she seems different." Justin turned and quickly washed Brian's back and they both rinsed off before drying off and then slipping into robes so they could eat breakfast and then dress.

Henry had the kids up and Joan was feeding Jessi while he sat between the boys. Justin noticed Brian watching her as they ate breakfast. Once they were back in the bedroom Brian said, "I think you might be right. I'm not sure I trust her yet but there is something different in her actions and I don't think she is that good an actress."

"I agree. Now we need to get dressed. We need to leave in less than an hour."

 

Brian and Justin arrived at the courthouse an hour before the hearing was scheduled to start.  Kevin and Joan would be there for the hearing itself but there was no reason for them to be early. As they walked into the section of the building the hearing would be held, they saw Craig standing just inside the door.

"Justin, I need to talk to you. We can make this much simpler."

"Get the fuck away from him. He doesn't..."

"Bri, I want to talk to him, just stay close by."

"Are you sure?"

Justin kissed his cheek. "I need to do this once and for all." He turned and moved toward his father. Brian leaned against a wall, letting Craig know he was paying attention to anything he did. "What do you want, Dad? You have five minutes before Brian and I have to meet with our lawyer."

"I just want to get to know my son."

"I am the only son you have, and you have made it clear you want nothing to do with me."

"I just want to make sure Aaron realizes what a normal includes."

"By a normal life, do you mean having a father that is willing to kidnap his own child? You will never be left alone with my boy. I would never, and I mean NEVER let you near him. No one should have to suffer through that kind of pain. Aaron knows what love is."

"Justin, I have come to the reality that you are not going to change, but Aaron needs to understand what a normal man thinks. He will need to know what it takes to be a successful man."

"So, Dad, what do you consider successful? Brian is retiring before his 40th birthday. You can't even imagine making that kind of money, and the last painting I sold went for a six digit sum.  When was the last time you made that kind of money?"

"Money doesn't make a man, it is character."

"Dad, are you saying that a financially strapped kidnapper who has no one to support him is better for a child than a family with two loving fathers and grandparents and siblings. Dad, you screwed ..."

"Justin!" Craig cut him off. "You have lost all respect. How dare..." 

"It is time to go, Justin. He doesn't deserve any of your time." Brian took Justin's arm.

"You didn't have any time for him either. You just got up and left this week. You..."

Justin moved to Brian and linking his arms with him, they moved toward the conference room where they were to meet their attorney. He can't really think he has a chance, does he?" Brian commented as he slammed the door to the room they were to meet in. "He is just so..."

"Babe, please don't talk about him. He just doesn't deserve our time or anger."

When their lawyer arrived she wasn't happy Justin had talked to his father. She knew Craig thought he had something important to use against them but they weren't sure what it was. "Since you did talk to him, did he say anything to give us a clue?"

"The only thing he really mentioned was that Brian had left for a couple days."

"So somehow he will try to call it abandonment."

"That won't get him anywhere, will it?"

"It may, but with the proof he had you followed, I doubt it will help him. Our biggest issue is still the fact that he was not listed on the birth certificate so there was never a chance for him to adopt Aaron."

"He was on his way to prison. Would it have been better for Aaron to be in foster care while Craig was locked up?" Brian questioned.

"That is one of the points I plan to make. Your father is coming, right?"

"Yes, he is. And you should probably know, my mother is coming too."     

"I thought she wasn't really part of your life," the attorney commented.

"No, but she is a part of my children's lives. They love her and she seems to love them, too." Brian stood and looked out the window. 

Justin walked over and rested his hands on Brian's shoulders, "She does love them. She is a hard woman to figure out but she has found a soft spot for them."      

There was a soft knock on the door. "The judge will be in the hearing room in about 10 minutes."

"Thank you. We are on our way." Their lawyer commented and then she said, "Gentlemen, are you ready to claim your son?"

"We are," Justin said with determination. "Come on, Brian. Let's claim our son."                     

As they walked into the hearing room, they looked at the small group of people in the room. To their surprise, Joan was sitting behind Craig's table. "What the fuck?" Brian said softly to Justin.  As they moved close to their table Brian stopped at Kevin. "What is going on?"

"I'm not sure. Once we got here, she disappeared and when I saw her again, she was sitting by him." He nodded toward Craig.                      

Justin felt Brian's whole body go rigid. "Brian, it doesn't matter. She can't say anything that will hurt us." They all moved to the front table just as the judge walked in.   

Justin couldn't stop himself from looking over at Craig and Joan. She wasn't talking to him but she seemed to be paying close attention to the judge when he started speaking.  

"Mr. Taylor," he nodded at Craig and then looked over at Brian and Justin. "Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor, I have reviewed all the records from your previous times in court. Would you mind Justin, if I call you by your first name to make it less confusing for our court reporter?"

"Yes, your honor. That would be fine." 

For the next thirty minutes the judge reviewed everything he felt was important in the records. Once he had finished that, he looked over at Craig. "Mr. Taylor, you obviously have a history with your oldest son. You ended up going to prison because of your behaviors. Why are you interested in your second son?"

"Well, your honor, Justin was very young when he met his husband and after his brain injury, I felt Mr. Kinney would try to lead him in places he didn't want to go but he would because his judgment could be swayed."

The judge jotted down some notes. "So all of that was for Justin's safety?"

"Yes, sir."

"Over the past three years, including the year and a half you were in prison, do you feel that Justin is safe with his husband?"

"I have realized they are a true couple. In their own way they love each other.

"And why do you want Aaron? From everything I have read, you were never a hands-on father."

"I just want him to know what kind of life he could have in a normal situation."

As this conversation had continued both Brian and Justin had gotten more angry. Their lawyer leaned over and softly said, "Hang in there. It will be our turn next."     

"Before I start focusing on your son and son-in-law, is there anything else you would like to say?"

"Well, I think you will want to speak to Brian's mom before the end of this hearing. She can tell you the real character of her delinquent son."

The judge was not happy with his comments. "I will ask others personal opinions as soon as I speak to Justin and Mr. Kinney."    

Brian and Justin's lawyer stood and asked the judge if they could meet in his office for a couple minutes. He looked around and then said, "We will have a 15 minute break and then we will reconvene. "I will be in my office in five minutes." The judge said to the lawyers. "You have ten minutes to discuss whatever you have to talk about."

The break ended up being 30 minutes before the judge and the lawyers returned to the hearing room. "That was an interesting break. Mr. Taylor, it has been brought to my attention that you hired someone to trail your son in the last couple of weeks. May I ask why you did this?"

"I had a feeling that he might try to leave the country. And instead I found out that Brian had left. How can I trust him with my son when..." Craig's lawyer tried to get him to be quiet. "I don't think I did anything wrong. And knowing Brian's mother arrived, I needed to know what they were planning. Joan is here today because she knows what a loser her son is."

Joan looked surprised when she heard Craig's comment. The judge saw her look but continued on, with Brian and Justin's lawyer telling their side. After she had told their side the judge looked at Brian and Justin. "Do you have anything else to add? Or can you add anything to your unscheduled departure?"

"Sir, we were both very stressed with the hearing coming and then Joan visiting," Justin smiled at her softly, "Brian and Joan don't always see eye to eye, but no matter what, he is always there for his children and for me. I know my father will never be happy that I didn't find a nice little girl to marry, but my soul will always belong to him. And Joan, well, she may not agree with our love either, but she has learned to love our children"

"Mrs. Kinney," the judge began, "When Mr. Taylor spoke, he said you might have something to say about your son and his family. Is there something you could add to all of this?"

Joan took a deep breath and then stood up, looking over at Brian and Justin. "Sir, I have to admit that I was not a good mother, and my husband, well, he was also not the best father. We didn't realize he was different. We were both very strict and he ended up with far more paddlings than he should. Brian was very strong willed, but after he graduated from school he went to college and then got a job where he made plenty of money, and my husband would get some money from him to gamble. I'm sorry, I'm going on. What I really want to say is, Brian left to have a little time to figure out what his family would need from him."

After Joan took a deep breath, "He returned, and for the first time, I saw what a good man he is.  He obviously loves his children. We never gave him the gentleness he shows his children every day. I never thought I would say something like this but I am so proud of my son. He has the perfect spouse and together they are raising three amazing children. I know I am not the person to make a judgment, but I don't feel like my grandkids could be in a better home. "

"What are you saying?" Craig jumped up even as his lawyer tried to get him to sit down.

"Mrs. Kinney, did Mr. Taylor try to get you to support his point of view?"

"What he asked was that I should think about this poor little boy, and he would give Aaron a much better home life. I can't agree with that. Aaron needs his dads and his brother and sister."  Joan moved across the aisle and she sat next to Kevin.

The judge flipped through a couple documents and then addressed the whole room. "We are done for the day. Tomorrow I will make a decision for you. This hearing will begin at 10:00 a.m." He stood and he left through a back door.                                

Brian stood and turned to face his mother. "Joan... Mom, thank you for telling the judge that we are a family."

"Son," Joan  said, "I am so sorry that we... that I treated you the way I did. Claire ended up just like me, but you and Justin always put your children first and that is touching."

Brian reached out and gave his mother an awkward side hug. "Let's go home. I am sure Gus is ready for some grandma time."                

Joan rode home with Brian and Justin. Kevin had to stop by the shelter and said he would be at the house for dinner at 6:00. He offered to pick up pizzas but they were sure Connie had something planned so they all went their separate ways. As Brian drove, the car was quiet for several minutes. Justin finally said, "Thank you, Joan. It was very kind of you to tell the judge..."

"I have never been kind. I was never a loving mother. It wasn't Brian's fault how he was conceived, but I kept trying to blame him. I have been so taken with Gus, well, all your kids, but I look at Gus, so much like his daddy, and I realize I never gave anything to Brian that gave him a happy childhood."

Justin noticed Brian was slowing down and then he pulled into a parking lot next to a business that was no longer open. He put the car in park, got out, and walked away. "Joan, I'll go talk to him."

"No, I think it is time for me to face him." Joan opened the car door and followed her son around the side of the building. She nearly ran into him because he had stopped walking as soon as he had gotten out of sight.  

Brian leaned against the wall and, although he heard someone following him, he expected it to be Justin so he was surprised to see his mother. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and after taking one out he lit it.

"I didn't know you smoked anymore," Joan said softly.

"I don't. Well, I do when I am stressed. I bought a pack when I left this week."

"Brian, I know there is nothing I can say that makes what I did alright. I look at sweet Gus and he looks so much like you at that age, except you were always scared. I know that was because of me. I was a bitter woman who...

"Chose to take out her miserable life on a child? As a kid, Jack despised me. When he realized I had made something of myself, he learned to put up with me because of what I could give him."

"Brian, I didn't know he was doing that. I would have never let him..."

"Yes, you would have! You always stood up for him."

"I had to. He would have told everyone about Kevin." Joan turned away from him. "I am sorry, Brian. You were always my son. I don't know why I didn't stand up for you. I was never strong. I couldn't have worked and raised two kids. It was a different time." Brian noticed she was very shaky and guided her to a stack of wood she could sit on. "I know there is nothing I can do to make up for what I did, but I am hoping I can show I have changed by loving your kids the way I should have loved you."

"Joan," he saw her stiffen. "Mom," his voice was quiet, "I'm not sure I can forget it, but  if Gus  trusts you, I'm willing to give you a shot. Let's go. We have three kids that are waiting for us."

Brian held Joan's elbow as they walked back to the front of the building and then, independently, they walked back to the car where Justin waited. They all got in but no one said a word until they got home. Brian pulled into the garage and Joan slipped out of the back seat and went to the house. Justin got out of the car and walked around to the driver's side. He opened Brian's door and put his arms around him as he sagged against him. Justin knew Brian would talk when he was ready and right now he just needed to be there. Justin kissed his soft hair and when Brian finally relaxed in his arms, Justin said softly, "I think our kids will be looking for us soon."

Brian stood and pulled Justin close, Justin raised his eyes to look into Brian's and Brian's mouth came down crushing his lips. "Please tell me we can share our room tonight?"

"Is there a way to make the rest of the day fly by?" Justin asked as he went in for one more kiss.  Brian swatted Justin's ass and took his hand as they walked into the house.

An hour later, Joan was in the house with Jessi while she napped and Brian and Justin along with Henry were out at the pool with the boys. When it was obvious Aaron needed to sleep, Justin got out of the water and laid under an umbrella on one of the chairs.  

Brian helped Gus practice his swimming and then dad and son hung out at the deep end of the pool. The young boy wrapped an arm around Brian's neck and he laid his head on his dad's shoulder. "Are you tired, Gus?"

"Not if I can rest on you for a little bit."

"You can lay on me anytime, son."

"Daddy?" Gus started.

"Yes?"

"Is Aaron going to stay with us?"

"Oh, Gus, of course he is."

"Why don't you tell me what is going on? I'm not a baby."

"Of course you aren't, but there are some things that dads want to take care of themselves. We didn't want you to worry."

"Did you worry?"

"Yes. But Daddy J. and I have each other so we share our problems."

Gus reached for the pool edge and pulled himself so he could look Brian right in the face. "But Daddy, you left Daddy J. and all of us and I never believed you were working." Gus put his arms around Brian's neck again. "Please don't leave us again without telling me where you're going."

Brian turned and wrapped his arms tightly around Gus. "Oh, Gus, I am sorry I worried you. And I promise, unless it is a real emergency, I will tell you I am going and if I can't tell you before I leave, I promise I will call and talk to you as soon as I can."

"Ok, Daddy. I love you." Gus laid his head on Brian's chest and Brian carried Gus out of the pool and sat down with him in the chair next to Justin and Aaron.

Justin said softly, "Is everything okay?"

Brian brushed Gus' hair off his forehead and he kissed him, "Our son was just schooling me on what a father is, and he is so right!"

 

Henry arrived just as the boys were waking up. "Henny, we get ice cream?" Aaron asked as soon as he opened his eyes.

"I don't see why not. Let's go check if Jessi wants to come, too." Henry said, plucking Aaron off of Justin's lap.

"Can Grandma come with us?" Gus asked.

"She is very welcome. Why don't you go ask her?"  Henry set Aaron down and Gus took his hand and they went into the house. He looked at Brian and Justin, "Justin, I just talked to J.Jay and he was wondering if you had time to run over to the gallery. The students and J. want to talk to you about something for the closing show."

"What do you say, Bri? Want to come with me. We have three hours until dinner." Justin sat next to Brian and let his hand slide across Brian's crotch. Brian's whole body trembled.

"Ya, Sunshine, that sounds great. Meet you at the car in ten minutes.

When they were on the road Brian asked, "Are we really going to the gallery?"

"Yes, Brian, I need to find out what J.Jay and Sonya want to do."

"Fuck, Sunshine, I don't want to wait until tonight."

"Oh, I don't plan to. Give me 10 minutes with my team and then, you and I, are going to spend as much time as we can, in that apartment upstairs." As Justin talked they walked up to a back door of the gallery. "Why don't you go up and I will be there in just a few minutes."

Brian roughly pulled Justin against him and, putting a hand on Justin's firm ass, he pressed him against his own erection. "It has been far too long, Sunshine."

Justin rushed away and up the back stairs. "Hey, Justin, you didn't really have to come. A call would have been good enough?" J.Jay said as Justin rushed in.

At the same moment, Sonya rushed up and hugged Justin. "This is the coolest idea ever. We will take care of it and Rachel said she would help plan it." Sonya went on. "We want to hold a silent auction for this last group of students. It was their idea. Neither of them need the money.  They are just here for the experience. They know next week you will be with them every day and they want to give back."

"I love that idea. Tomorrow afternoon I'll have Brian come with me and his advertising mind can run wild." Justin looked at Sonya and J. and said, "Speaking of running wild, I have a date with my husband. If you hear any noise, don't come checking it out." With that being said, Justin rushed out of the room. 

Brian found a bottle of wine in the fridge and opened it to let it breathe and then he lit the couple candles he found in the small apartment. He was pulling off his shirt when Justin rushed in. He ran over to him and wrapped his arms around Brian's neck as Brian's hands began to work on Justin's zipper. Brian's mouth was all over at once. "Damn, I have missed the taste of you." He had already removed Justin's pants and as he pulled his shirt off over his head he began to sample his skin. His tongue trailed down Justin's heated skin and by the time Brian's mouth spent time on his navel, Justin was going mad with need. 

"Fuck, Brian. I need you right now!" Justin turned over grabbing a pillow which he placed under his hips and Brian couldn't wait any longer. He straddled Justin's legs with his knees on either side of Justin's knees and then he moved in one smooth motion. Justin cried out in the pain and then the bliss. Brian teased him, going quickly and then slowing. As Brian bent over him, Justin reached back and grabbed his hair. The quick jolt of pain on the back of his head caused Brian to drive in one last time. Justin came up and leaned against Brian who wrapped his arms tightly around Justin's chest.

"I love you, Justin Taylor, Kinney."

"I love you, too, Brian. I have missed this so much."

 

"What were you and Gus talking about in the pool?" Justin and Brian half sat, half laid, leaning against the headboard.

"He told me I had worried him when I left. He made me realize as he gets older, as they all do, I need to find a new way to cope. I can't run from my past or from the future. And, I guess, if my mom is going to try, I'll try, too."

Justin kissed him. "You called her mom. I don't think I have heard you call her that, well, ever."

"She didn't pull the ‘pity me' card today. I think she is actually making a real effort. She said she knew she couldn't make it up to me, but if I would let her, she would show she changed by the way she treats our kids. She said Gus looked like I did at that age but I was always on edge and she was right. I was scared until I got old enough to just not care."

"Bri, you don't fool me. You always cared. You were always scared. You just learned to hide it." They kissed again. "I hate to say it but we need to go home. I think I have been avoiding the fact that we don't know what the judge will say tomorrow." 

They both got up and began to dress as they continued to talk. "I have spoken to the pilot.  There is a plane ready if you need to get out of here in a hurry. Henry has packed a bag for each of the kids. Henry will go with you and Rachel and Sonya will follow in a few days so Henry can come back."

"I knew you would have this all ready but, damn it, I don't want to run. I want to stay here for the fundraiser and..."

"What fundraiser?"

"I'll tell you on the drive home."

 

The evening was full of family. Brandy and Sally arrived with half of the meal and Connie had made the rest of the food. Joan offered to hold Kelin while they put everything together and Gus sat down next to her. Soon Aaron had crawled up onto the sofa on the other side and then Jessi stood at the edge of the sofa and Gus helped her up. Justin walked in and immediately started taking pictures with his phone. The children were all so happy, and more importantly, Joan had a look on her face Justin had never seen. She looked happy, but even more importantly, she looked content. She actually looked younger than she ever had to Justin. 

As the evening went on, the adults seemed to get quieter, all thinking about tomorrow's decision. When the girls left, they said they would meet them at the hearing and Kevin planned to be there. Before going to bed, Brian and Justin asked Joan if she would stay at the house with Henry and the children just in case they needed to leave in a hurry.  

"Brian, I will do whatever I can to make sure your family stays together. Now it is time for all of us to go to bed. Tomorrow night we will celebrate finally getting rid of that man. And I know, you will be glad to have me go back home."

"Mom, you know we will be going on to Ireland, but when we get back home, we will try to work things out."

"Thank you, Brian. Good night." Joan walked away.

Justin put his hand on the small of Brian's back and they moved toward their bedroom.

 

At 10:00 a.m. there were several more people in the hearing room, including a couple people Justin recognized as reporters. Why would they be here unless... he saw his dad glancing back and making eye contact with one of the women. 

"I think my dad made some connections last night."

"Why do you say that?" Brain asked.

"My guess is he threw your name and importance around and now they smell a story."

"Maybe we can use it to our benefit. When they come looking for a story, we can tell them about the auction and get a lot of free publicity."

"Oh, that would be amazing! Finally, he is going to have done something worthwhile."

A half hour later, everyone but Craig was cheering. The judge had basically told him not to waste any other court's time. As expected, the reporters were waiting for Brian and Justin to exit the hearing room. Kevin stopped, along with Brandy and Sally, but Brian said, "We're fine, why don't you call the house and Em and James and let them know Aaron is ours and it is over for good." Next Brian turned back to the reporters. "Now what questions do you have?"

"Mr. Kinney, Justin's father, stated that you two might be divorcing. Both of you are in the spotlight in your own arenas. He also said you two were actually a couple before Justin was 16?"

"Now, that is not true!" Justin snapped. "The first thing you should know about my father is that he likes to make things fit how he wants them. I met him a couple months before I turned 18 and in Pennsylvania 17 is not illegal." One of the reporters got a message on his phone and he moved to the elevator without a word.

"Can you tell me anything about your father, or even better, Aaron's mother? What kind of woman would have an affair with a man like that?"

"That is none of your business. She's a sweet, caring, woman who knew she did not have the means to support herself and a child." Justin took Brian's hand.

"If you want a good lead for a great story, we can give it to you and since your competitor just left, you would have the exclusive."

"I'm interested. What kind of exclusive?" The reporter seemed to be glad that she would take any story right now.

"In nine days my art school is holding a fundraiser. I will be giving a couple of pieces and I have several very talented students that will be donating pieces. It will be a silent auction. Brian is going to lead the advertising end but if you would be interested in doing side stories on the artists or do a story on my summer school programs. It would be great for your career as well as your publication."

Ten minutes later they shook hands and as soon as they entered the elevator Justin threw his arms around Brian's neck. "That could not have gone better! We have a real fundraiser now!"

 

That evening they had a real celebration. Sally and Brandy were at the diner, but the art students, along with Sonya, Rachel, Henry and J.Jay joined them. They all had pizza and ice cream. By the end of the ice cream Joan put the younger kids in bed and Gus went to watch a movie in bed. After the kids went to bed, everyone remaining reviewed everything that needed to be done for the silent auction and everyone went their separate ways all with a list of things to do.

Brian and Justin lay silently in bed after making love. After several minutes, Justin said, "I can't believe it is finally over. No one can take our boy."

"No one ever would have, but I am glad you didn't have to rush to Ireland. I think the auction is the perfect way to wrap up our summer in Atlanta and then after a couple weeks getting everything in place we are going to start exploring the world."

"I can't think of anything I would rather do. I love you, Bri."

"I love you, Sunshine. Now, let's get some sleep. I think the next eight days are going to be fun but extremely busy."