- Text Size +

 

The house seemed very quiet without Molly and Jenn. By the end of the week James and Emmett would arrive with Amelia. While they were here Brian would discuss their world travels and see if James and Emmett wanted to move into Britin. Brian and Justin both agreed that someone needed to stay in the main house and they also thought James and Em might want to stay in their own place. They had fixed it up to be a real home. Ronni and Dante were already spending part of their time at one of Dante's other houses, so they would ask Charly and Connor to move there. They had always known that the old barn was temporary. When Brian and Justin did return after their travels, Justin would run his Art Academy out of the barn.  

Justin and J.Jay had spent a lot of time at the gallery. Part of the time Henry would come with the kids, too. With Justin now being in charge of the gallery, no one could stop them from having the kids around. Brian also took over one of the offices so he could be with his family. By noon, Brian, Henry, and the kids would head back to the house where Connie would have lunch ready.  Once the little ones were down, Brian and Gus would do something, just the two of them. Justin would try to be home by the end of naptime. It all moved smoothly.

 

On Wednesday, Kevin met Camilla at a local restaurant where many business people met for meetings. Kevin wanted to make sure no one could question anything that was going on.  Reverend Carter would accept this as appropriate. They ordered their beverage and when the server dropped off the drinks they ordered their lunch. "Mrs. Carter, thank you so much for joining me for lunch."

"It is my pleasure, Father Cain, but I am a little curious. I think Friday's Board meeting is going to be pretty uneventful. We have already voted on everything, it is now just the formality."

"You are right, but, while I'm here this summer, my son and I are setting up a new nonprofit, and I saw you mention wanting a new project now that your kids are more independent."  

"You are observant. What is your new project?"

"You know Legacy helps young people who are struggling with their sexual identity." He saw her stiffen a bit. "My son happens to be gay, and my daughters, well, they are like daughters, just had a beautiful little girl."

"Yes, I did know that." They both stopped when the server dropped off their dishes. "You are known for so many programs." Camilla took a bite of her salad. Kevin didn't pick up the conversation. He just kept eating his own meal. He could almost hear Camilla's voice in her head. Finally she blurted, "My daughter, I mean son, no, our child, is a transexual. Joanna Jane was always a tomboy. I know she prefers to be called he. I am trying, but William just doesn't understand. You know him don't you?"

"I do. J.Jay is a great young man and very talented. I saw you at the gallery the other day."

"That reminds me, is Mr. Taylor alright?"

"He is. That was a crazy night and they are still tracking the whole story. We are very blessed to have him. And he feels very blessed to have your son working with him."

"I miss him. Whether male or female, she will always... he will always be my child, and I will always miss him."

"But his father?"

"He says God created Joanna and he doesn't make mistakes. I try to tell him that God also teaches us things through others and maybe J. was sent here to help others understand themselves."

"That is a great way to put it. J.Jay misses his family, too."

"Please tell me he has a group of friends."

"He is part of our family now. Our manny, Henry, and J. are the best of friends. J. loves to help with the kids. He is a very loving young man."

A tear ran down Camilla's cheek, "I am so glad. I don't think my husband would be happy if I was on the board at Legacy. He doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that our daughter is no longer our daughter."

"Well, my newest project is in the earliest stages, but I have gotten funding. We haven't settled on a name yet but we have been communicating with a woman who worked in the sex industry and now has been helping women get schooling and find out another way to make a better life for themselves. Some women may want to stay in their line of work but they may still need guidance with money or help with children. I think it will focus on the younger women who don't want that kind of life, but don't feel like they have options."

"Father Cain..."

"Kevin, please."

 "Kevin, that sounds like a very worthy project. I am not fond of women staying in the business but..."

"I wouldn't expect you to work in that area. I know you are well educated and have the skills and connections to set this up. I don't expect an answer today, or even Friday, but after talking about it with your husband and, and if you are interested, I would like to introduce you to Connie."

"Kevin, I will talk to my husband and I will pray about this. You have given me a lot to think about." Kevin put money on the table for their meals and they stood. As they walked toward their cars she said, "Please tell J... say hi. Why does this have to be so hard?" Kevin opened Camilla's car door for her and soon she was in and started her car. She opened her window. "Tell him I love him. I always have and I always will." With that, the window went up and she pulled away.

As Kevin walked to his car he said a little prayer that Camilla could get through to her husband.  It was obvious she loved her son and her husband. Kevin wished he had a solution. He couldn't imagine a loving father who would just stop loving his child. He would love to tear him down, but he knew that wasn't what J.Jay would want so he would restrain himself. But if William Charles Carter hurt J.Jay...  J. was part of his family now and he would protect him to the very end.

Kevin decided to stop at the police station before returning home. He walked in and the lead detective saw him immediately. "Wow, you have great timing. In fact if your phone rings..." 

Kevin jumped as his phone buzzed in his pocket. "Hey, Brian."

"Dad, can you stop by the..."

"Station?" Kevin finished.

"Ya, how'd you know?"

"I just stopped by since I was in the neighborhood."

"Great, they have some information for us, but we just put the kids down and we gave Henry and J.Jay the afternoon off."

"It was all good timing. I will come over when I am done here."

The detective had moved to a conference room and Kevin went to join him. The FBI agent followed him in and shut the door. "You arrived quickly." The agent said as he shook Kevin's hand.

"Just good timing. I understand you have some information?"

"I wish I could say we had all the answers, but we will never know everything. Ms. Cunningham's lawyer and family have been working with us. They had no idea how sick she was. She has told her lawyer that those men were sent to her when she missed her fiance the most. We know she stalked the men. Not necessarily in person, but via the internet. She would spend months in a retreat somewhere and now they know she would start her research there.  She would zone in on someone. Once she was ready, she would go back into society and manage to work her way into the gallery the young man was working at. Sometimes it took her a couple years to work her way near them."

"Has she admitted to killing them?"

"No, not yet. It appears that once she managed to get them, she would take them to one of the family's many cabins. As you know, her father was an outdoorsman so she had places to hide them."

"How long did she keep them?" Kevin was fascinated now.

"We can't be sure yet, but following her work history and travels, it appears that her first victim lived at least a year. He was a young struggling artist. His family told us he may have just gone along with it. He was estranged from his family and although he had talent he didn't have the right drive. He may have looked at it as a free place to live and free food, but when he got tired of it, she disposed of him. They are checking her properties in the northwest U.S. and southwest Canada. We have agents talking to the other families."

The detective took over, "Justin was not her normal target. The other young men were single.  They didn't have steady jobs or anyone they spent time with regularly. From what we have read in her journal on her home computer, she wanted us to think her mental state had deteriorated enough that she was sure Justin really loved her."

"Do you seriously believe that?" Kevin retorted, getting up to look more closely at the pictures.  Do you really think she would have put up all those cameras if she really thought he loved her?  Think about it, that took a lot of thought. Clear thought."

"I agree, but that is what her lawyer wants us to believe. It is obvious she isn't stable, but she is not insane," the agent said. "I know we haven't given you any real answers, but we wanted to keep you in the loop."

"Thanks. I better get moving so I can tell Brian and Justin what you just told me. Do you think there will be a trial?"

"In cases like this, if their money can't buy them out of trouble, they usually take their chances at trial."

"How important is Justin's testimony?"

"Since he is the only living victim I would say it is very important, why?"

"Justin and Brian have a custody issue with their middle son, and if there are any negative reports, trying to blame them, they will use it against them."

"What kind of asshole is trying to take their son away?"

"The man who fathered both Justin and Aaron." With that, Kevin walked out of the conference room and left the building to tell Brian and Justin what was going on.

 

Kevin arrived at the house and had just enough time to tell Brian and Justin what he learned at the station. "She's batshit crazy, but not insane," Brian said after hearing the details.  

"What if I won't go to court? What if I don't press charges?" Justin circled the kitchen island as he spoke. I'll refuse to testify."

Brian walked up behind him and pulled him back against his chest, kissing him below his ear. "You know you will testify. At least three families have been waiting years to find their sons."

"But we could lose our son if Dad gets wind of it, and I am sure he will. Brian, can you get the trip to Ireland lined up so we can get out of here if we need to?" Justin turned and laid his head on Brian's chest. Gus came from his room in his swim trunks at that moment and Kevin took his grandson outside so he could play in the pool.

"I will have everything ready. I hope we can go to Britin before we leave, but you know I will do anything I can for our family." Brian tilted Justin's head up and kissed his lips. "I don't expect this to go wrong. I think both the police and now the FBI have our backs."

"You're right," Justin smiled at him. "But you know he is always going to try to fuck up our happiness and he will never manage it. We will always be a family and I will always want to make love to you." Brian's mouth came down on Justin's and his tongue slipped in while Justin's moved to meet it. 

As Justin fumbled at Brian's fly they both stopped. "Hey, Daddy!" Aaron's voice called from his bedroom. "Come get me, Daddy!"

Justin dropped his head on Brian's chest. "Fuck," he said under his breath.

"Not now, Sunshine. Our child calls." Brian stepped away and fixed his fly. "Don't forget where we were."

He adjusted his crotch, "I don't think that would be possible."

 

It was after 10:00 by the time Brian and Justin could continue where they left off. They undressed, and without a word, stripped and met on the bed. They faced each other on their knees and began to touch and taste each other as their skin became heated and their souls caught fire. They became a pile of arms and legs entwining over and over as they tried to feel even closer. By the time Justin lay on his back and Brian put one of Justin's legs on his shoulder, every nerve cried out for release. And then they found the place that only the two of them existed, and they cried out simultaneously as they hit the peak and tumbled back to reality together.

"Damn," Justin whispered as he laid on his back. "I don't know if it has ever been that ..."

"I know what you mean. When I don't think it can get better..." Brian reached and linked his hand with Justin's. "Why Ireland? Of all the places in the world, you pick that small country."

"It's where your ancestors came from. I know Aaron and Jessi are going to be too young to remember a lot of it, but Gus will. And Gus is the one that has blood ties to that country."

"We could go there when the kids are bigger."

"Bri, I wasn't lying about learning about your heritage, but have you seen the castles, the scenery, the beauty, and if there are more men like you..."

Brian flipped so he was on top of Justin, "Sunshine, don't even...'

"I love you, Brian Kinney." Justin winked at him.

"I love you, too." Brian rolled off him but pulled him close as he moved.  

 

Justin had a new group of students that came in. This time there were three young artists keeping J.Jay and Justin very busy. All the students were extremely talented and they worked well together. Brian, Henry, and the kids enjoyed spending time in the big building and Gus even came up and worked on some art himself. This group of students included him in conversation often. Sometimes Gus even stayed in the afternoon to keep painting or playing with clay. One afternoon a couple days before the second exhibit, Gus walked into Justin's office and climbed up on his lap.

"Hey Gus," Justin hugged him tight and kissed his cheek, "is something wrong?"

"Not really. I just thought about that mean lady who tried to take you from me." He turned and wrapped his arms around Justin's neck. "I was scared."

"You know we're safe now, right?"

"Ya, I know the police saved you." He settled back on Justin's lap. "I feel sorry for Sonya."

"Why, Gus?"

"I was talkin' to her and her daddy got sick and died."

"Oh, that is sad." Justin said, holding Gus tight.

"And I don't know if she has a house to go home to."

Justin tried to remember her back story. They allowed her to come this week instead of with the first group because of a death in the family. He would have to talk to J. and get the whole story. "I'll find out, Gus. Are you ready to go home for the day?"

"I am, Daddy J." Justin and J. wrapped up for the day, and by the time they walked to the car, J. carried a sleepy Gus.

As J.Jay drove, Justin asked him, "What is Sonya's story? Did her father just pass away?"

"Ya, I didn't know it was her dad when we switched her to this week."

"Gus said something about having no home to go to."

"I'm not sure exactly. She is actually from Pittsburgh. Let me check into it a little bit. I'll see who knows what and have some answers tomorrow."

"What else do you know about her?"  

"She just completed her art degree and hopes to eventually go to grad school at night and teach during the day."

"Let me know what you find out. If we can help in some way we will. She is very talented. I would enjoy working with her. What would you think of adding her to our team, if we find out she needs it?"

"She is good and I like her." J.Jay pulled into the garage. "Would you like me to carry in Gus?"

"No, I got him. You go do the research." Justin lifted Gus out of the back and J. opened the house door for him. As they stepped into the house Gus' little body began to shake a little.

"Are you getting a free ride, Gus?"  

Gus started giggling, "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you, too, Gus!" Justin squeezed him a little bit too hard and set him down before he could struggle.

J.Jay walked in behind him and he immediately saw Henry, holding Jessi, and smiled slightly. He walked over and putting his hand behind Henry's head, kissed him. He had started showing his love for Henry in the house the last couple weeks. Everyone, especially Henry, was so excited J.'s reserve had fallen away among friends. "I have a little work." Was all J.Jay said to Henry before walking toward their room.

"Daddy!" Gus ran to Brian and hugged his waist. Brian picked him up to kiss him and then set him back down. 

"Did you have a fun afternoon with Daddy J?"

"Most of the day I was with Sonya. I like her! She is so nice but did you know she doesn't have a house to live in? I'm worried about her. Can we go swimming?" Gus skipped from one thing to another.

"Sure, Gus." Connie said from the kitchen. "Come here and I will help find your suit." She offered her hand and asked Gus, "Tell me what you made today."

Brian walked over to Justin and kissed him. "What was Gus talking about?"

"J. is checking into it for me. She was supposed to be here with the first group of students but her father had just passed away. Now, according to Gus, she doesn't have a home at all. That's what J. is checking out right now."

"I know that mind of yours. What are you thinking?"

"I'm not really sure. It will depend on what J. finds out. If she is really homeless, I want to help her out. Maybe she could live in the loft. She is so talented and I know lots of artists struggle but I can't leave her homeless."

Brian pulled him close. "Of course you can't. Oh, by the way, I ordered passports for the kids.  We should have them by September. I also want you to check out a couple places. I was looking at Ireland and places to stay."

Justin picked up Jessi who had crawled over to them. "Let's go take a quick look before we go to the pool."

After looking at a few places Brian had located, they inquired about two of them and then headed out to the pool to spend an hour with the kids before dinner.

"Hey, no hello for Grandpa?" Kevin had appeared on the pool deck. 

"Papa!" Aaron ran over to him and Kevin lifted him high in the air. "You surprised me."

"I did surprise you. I was hoping to get a home cooked meal made by Connie."

"Connie always makes enough for more people." Justin commented as he brought Jessi over to Kevin so she could give him a kiss. "You know you're always welcome. We are always glad to see you, but I get the feeling there is a reason you came out here."

"I really was looking for a free meal but I'm also looking for J.Jay. Camilla is hoping to spend a little time with him. Is he around?"

"He ran to the store with Henry. Connie needed a couple things. They should be back soon." Brian looked at his father, "Has Camilla agreed to be the face of the new foundation?"

"She will. I want her to meet Connie so I am hoping J. will agree to her coming out here to meet her and then that she could spend some time with her son."

"Well, if he doesn't want to he can make sure he is gone for the evening. The next couple days he will be at the gallery but, maybe..."

"Invite her on Sunday. The art show is Saturday so everyone will be here on Sunday for lunch.  He will feel more comfortable with all his friends around and I think it will be good for her to see us as a family," Justin said frankly. "I know she is torn between her husband and child. I would never want to need to make a choice. I can't do without any of them." Justin kissed Brian.

"That's a good idea, as long as J.Jay agrees." Kevin draped an arm over Justin's shoulder.

"Papa, play!" Aaron tugged on Kevin's shorts. Kevin followed him to the edge of the pool and sat on the top step so he could stay mostly dry and Aaron could still play in the water on the steps.

Half an hour later the kids were all in summer pajamas and everyone was sitting around the table eating dinner. Kevin thought this was as good a time as any. "J. I've been talking to your mother. I think she is going to agree to head the foundation with Connie."

"Oh," he said softly. "She is a very caring person. I think she will be good at that."

Kevin continued, "J.Jay, she wants to visit you. "What would you say to her coming here on Sunday?"

"Don't think she'll come on a Sunday. Dad always said that Sunday was family time."

"Well, we will invite her and hopefully she will make it." Kevin smiled at the young man and Henry pulled him a little closer.

"J., want to help me put the kids to bed?" Henry asked.

"I have a better idea." Justin smiled at Henry. "Why don't you and J.Jay take a drive, take a little time for each other, and let us put the kids to bed?"

"But I am supposed to work until the kids are down," Henry said.  

"You are constantly helping us out just because you are here. Go," Brian said.

Ten minutes later J. was behind the wheel of the sports car Brian had just rented and Henry was in the passenger seat. "Where are we going?" Henry asked.

"Do you mind if we go back to my neighborhood?" J. said softly. "I.."

"I would love to see where you grew up." Henry reached over and put his hand on J.Jay's shoulder. "How are you feeling about your mom coming to the house?" J. shrugged and drove in silence for several minutes. Henry noticed the homes in the neighborhood were gradually getting grander. J.Jay slowed down and pulled into a parking spot in front of a park. He didn't say a word but stopped the car and got out. Henry followed suit, and as J. got to the passenger side he reached for his hand. They walked toward a bench and sat down. 

"It's the one with the big white pillars." He pointed at the second house down on the other side of the road. "We moved there when I was about seven. I spent a lot of hours in this park."

"I bet you did. That house is amazing. I can't imagine growing up in a place like that. I grew up in a house not much bigger than the front porch of that place, although we did have walls." He smiled at J. and leaned over and kissed him.

"Y'all better be careful," a twenty something woman stopped and said. "I'm all for loving whoever you love, but do you know who lives in that house? It's where that preacher that thinks you can pray away the gay lives."

"Hi, Rachel," J.Jay stood and looked the woman in the eye. 

"Joanna Jane? Is that you?"

"It's J.Jay now, and this is Henry." The woman he had called Rachel threw her arms around him.

"Where have you been? I came to your house to swim and your mom said you had gone to France. Did you really? Or, did your dad send you someplace?"

"They did send me to France. They thought if I could paint I would remember who I truly was.  Instead of remembering who I was I discovered who I am. I came back six months later. I was only here a couple months before I moved to Pittsburgh for work." J. turned toward Henry, who had a smile on his face. "Henry, Rachel was my best friend growing up. She knew who I really was before I did, I think."

"Henry," Rachel said and turned to J., "He's cute!"

Henry blushed a little. "Thanks, Rachel. J. was just showing me where he grew up."

"Do you both have time to get a cup of coffee somewhere? There's this cool little Diner run by a couple women about two miles..."

"Do you mean Brandy and Sally's?"

"Ya, you know it?"

"Do you have a ride there?" Henry asked.

"Ya, my car is just around the corner. I'll meet you there."

Ten minutes later the three friends, new and old, walked into the diner. "Henry! J.Jay!" Sally came over and kissed each of them on the cheek. "And Rachel? You all know each other?"

"Can we sit?" J. asked.

"Oh, sure, cutie." Sally led them to a back booth. "Is this good?"

"Perfect, Sal." Henry smiled as he sat next to J. She took their coffee order and left them alone.

"Why didn't you let me know you were back?" Rachel asked.

"I try not to connect with people from Joanna's life."

"I am sure your dad hasn't welcomed you back." Rachel commented.

Henry smiled at Rachel, "No, but his mom has made some effort." 

"You've seen Camilla?"

"I have a couple of times." J. said as Sally put the coffee on the table. 

Brandy walked up and handed Kelin to Sal. "Sal, can you take care of her for a few minutes, I..." Brandy looked at all the customers Sal was dealing with while the other server was on a break. Henry stood and took Kelin from Brandy and sat back down.

"I have her."

"Thanks, Henry! What can I get the three of you?" Sally took their orders and walked away.

"It's obvious you know Sally and Brandy, and who is this beautiful little lady?" Rachel reached across the table and touched Kelin's cheek. 

"Sally and Brandy are our employer's family. And this is their daughter Kelin. I am a manny for our employers."

"And what do you do, J.?"

"I work for Justin Taylor, the artist. He is running an art project this summer. We have a show tomorrow at the gallery." He told her where it was located. "If you want to come."

"Isn't that where... that's right, it was Mr.Taylor who was kidnapped a couple weeks ago. Were you there when it happened?"

"I was, but we took the kids home before they found him." J.Jay replied as Sally brought the food they ordered.

"I can take Kel now. She is ready for bed and so am I!"

"You can leave the check..." Henry started to say.

"Are you kidding me? You just took care of my daughter, and besides that you're family." Sally kissed Kelin, "Let's go home, sweetie. Mama will be there soon." 

"You mentioned you have seen your mom." Rachel commented.

"I have. She came to the last show and I talked to her on the phone a few times. Father Kevin has invited her to our place on Sunday."

"Camilla is a good woman. I'm not saying your dad is bad, but he just... well he still just doesn't understand." Rachel smiled at J. "I am so glad I ran into you." They exchanged phone numbers and then she said, "I have to go, but I hope we can see each other again. And, J.? Keep him.  He's great." She winked at Henry.

"I don't plan to let him go anywhere." J.Jay said as Henry held his hand.

The small group split and Henry and J.Jay drove home, in no hurry to have more people around them. When they arrived, they held hands as they walked into the house and then up to their room.

"Henry, you know I love you, right?" J.Jay had never said that before.

"You never said it but I kind of hoped..."

J.Jay kissed him hard. "I love you, and that's what makes this so hard."

"What is it, J?"  

"When my mom comes, I am just not ready for her to know that I am in a relationship. I'm not ashamed of you but..."

"J., I don't give a damn if she knows about us. I'd love to meet her as your best friend. I hope I am."

"Of course you are, and so much more." J. pushed Henry back on the bed and then tugged off his shirt. Henry gently pulled him onto the bed next to him. J.Jay still rarely felt comfortable for Henry to see him naked because he couldn't feel comfortable around his own body. Henry reached for his shirt and when J. didn't back off, Henry pulled off the shirt and then very slowly undid the binding over his breasts. Henry's eyes never left J.Jay's face, and as soon as he was free of the binding they both slipped under the sheets in the bed. Moment's later they both wiggled under the blankets and tossed the shorts they had been wearing off to the side.

"I love you, J.Jay. I don't care what parts you have or don't have. You are perfect just as you are." Henry's mouth dipped below the sheet but J. no longer cared. He wanted to be loved and he wanted it now.