- Text Size +

 

After the wonderful trip to Galway, the sad job of saying goodbye was ahead of them. Molly teared up and snuggled the kids every time they came within arms reach. Gus spent as much time as he could with his best friend Fiona, and when he was at the house, he moped around. Sonya and Rachel were spending a couple of days with them before they headed off for a month in Italy and Spain. They spent most of their time with Jessi and Aaron, giving Brian and Justin time to get packed and ready to move back to the States.

 

Jenn sat out on the screen porch with Justin and Brian. They were sipping Irish coffee Molly put together for them, knowing Gus was at Kate's for the last time and the other two were sound asleep upstairs. "I can now see this place is everything you told me it was. I've only been here a few days and I don't want to leave." Jenn took a sip of the hot liquid.

"I will miss it here but it is time to get back. Talking to James and Em this week made me miss Britin." Justin commented as he snuggled against Brian.

"And you have some hiring to do?" Jenn asked.

Justin replied, "Yes. We talked to Charly and Connor this week, too, and they had too good an opportunity to stay. They are on their way to New Mexico where Connor inherited a martial arts studio from a former trainer and Charly already has a job with a caterer who is hoping to retire, so, if all goes well, she will take over the business over the next couple of years." Justin continued, "Not to mention Henry and J.Jay are not going to be coming back any time soon. J.Jay is still working for me but I will need someone here to do some physical things for me. I may just hire part time. There is no huge rush with that one."

"Ya, I have a temp company sending someone to help Ronni in the kitchen so she can focus on the kids, but that isn't permanent. She doesn't want to work full time anymore. She wants to travel with Dante, and not that they have said anything, but I get the feeling something is going on with Amelia." Brian stopped for a moment and Justin continued.

"I get the same feeling. I think Em was going to say more but he stopped when James joined the call."

Brian pulled Justin close and kissed Justin's head. "Hopefully it is just Em's nervous father vibe coming through. Some young kids have more issues than others." Brian's phone rang and Brian answered it. "Hey, Quinn, can you hold on a second?" Brian stood. "I'll take this in the house.  Quinn said he was calling to get our address at Britin." He kissed Justin and walked back into the house.

Justin patted the seat next to him and Jenn took Brian's spot, pulling a blanket around both of them. "I was so worried about you when I got here. Everything is good now, right?"

"It is. There is something he says he wants to tell me but everytime he starts we get interrupted.  If it was really important, he would have made time for it. It is just probably about some of the things we said or that we are going to talk to the lawyer about."  

 

"Sorry about that, Quinn. I was out on the porch with Justin and his mom. I just sent our address and a couple additional phone numbers."

"Thanks, Brian, but I called to let you know Cain died this afternoon."

"Oh, Quinn, I'm sorry."

"If I'm honest, I'm not. He was old and frail and mean."

"I can definitely understand that. Is there anything we can do for you?"

"Right now everything is still up in the air. The Garda is trying to keep it quiet, but eventually his true identity will come out, and after that I don't know what will happen. I know the next year could be real shit." Brian could hear someone talking in the background. "Brian, I have to go.  I'll call you in the morning. When do you leave?"

"Day after tomorrow. Do you want me to come over? I can stay an extra couple days if..."

"No, Brian, don't do that. I'll talk to you tomorrow." And Quinn was gone.

Brian returned to the porch and Justin smiled up to him. He saw a shadow on Brian's face.  "What is it, Bri?"

"Cain is dead."

"What? How did he..."

"We didn't get into that. He is calling back tomorrow."

"Is he alright?" Jenn asked. "Do you need to go wherever he is?"

"No. I don't think there are plans yet, but I am guessing there won't be anything public."

Justin stood and walked over to him, putting his arms around him. "I didn't like the man, but I feel sorry for Quinn, and Gus will be sad."

"Babe, stay and talk with your mom. I am going to go call Dad. He needs to know about Cain."

"I'll be in soon," Justin kissed him. "Send my love to Kevin."

"I will. When you come in, I want to tell you..."

"Brian, whatever it is, it's not important now. We should probably tell Kate, too."

"I'll give her a quick call before Dad." He kissed Justin and moved back into the house.

 

Brian decided to make the calls from their bedroom. First, he called Kate. "Brian, Gus is already in bed. I'm sure he's awake if you want me to ..."

"No, Kate, I need to talk to you."

"Brian, you aren't still worrying about our night, are you?"

"No, I do plan to still tell him but I got a call from Quinn tonight. Cain died today."

"Oh, Brian! Is this going to make things bad with you and Justin again?"

"We're solid. We are trying to prepare for our return home. We had some staff leave so the first thing we will need to do is replace them. We need security and childcare." Brian drifted off, thinking about everything that needed to be done.

"Brian, are you still there?"

"Sorry, Kate. I better go. I need to call Dad. Maybe by the time you arrive with Gus at lunch tomorrow, I will have more answers. Give my beautiful son and your lovely daughter a kiss from me, and Kate, don't tell them about Cain."

"Goodnight, Brian."

Next, he called Kevin. "Son! I am missing you and the rest of your clan. I can't wait to see you."

"Dad, are you at home or still at the center?"

"I am pulling into the drive right now. Is something wrong?"

"Dad, Quinn called a little while ago. Cain is dead." Brian heard only the sound of a key in a lock and then steps into the house. "Dad, I'm sorry. I should have been a little more delicate."

"Brian, delicate is not your thing." Brian could picture his dad turning on a burner under his tea kettle. "I knew it was coming, but well, I was hoping to see him once more. Do you have any details?"

"I don't. Quinn didn't know much himself. He is calling back tomorrow. I will get you any information I receive." He hesitated, "I wish I could be there for a cup of tea."

"I know, son. I'll be fine." The whistle on his kettle sounded. "How has Gus taken this?"

"He will find out in the morning. He is with Fiona." 

"Be gentle with the boy. I know you will but he has such a tender heart."

"Of course, Dad. I love you."

"Love you, too. I will talk to you tomorrow."

 

Justin and Jenn had continued talking but Justin was distracted. As it cooled down even more, Jenn touched Justin's cheek and said, "I think your husband may need you." She shivered, "And I need heat."

Justin stood and offered his hand to Jenn. "I have a feeling this might be harder on him than he knows or at least cause some more upheaval." 

Jenn kissed his cheek and gave him a hug. "I know you will be there for him but if you ever need anything, an extra pair of hands, a shoulder..."

"I know, Mom. I love you for it." They hugged for another moment and then they went to their separate rooms. 

 

Justin found Brian standing in a steaming shower. He undressed silently and stepped in. He picked up the bar of soap. Brian jumped when he felt the soap slide across his back. Justin kissed his shoulder blade. "How's Kevin?"

"He's alright. I know he had hoped to come back after the first of the year. He wanted to see him once more."

Justin reached around Brian's waist and moved the soap in circular motions and then began going lower. He felt Brian respond immediately. He placed the soap in the dish and began running his hand along his shaft. The soap on his hands spread bubbles up and down it, letting his hands slide with no friction. Brian leaned against Justin, letting him support some of his weight. 

"Let's rinse off. I love acrobatics but I'm not in the mood tonight," he said as he turned into Justin's arms. He put a hand on either side of Justin's face and kissed him, feeling the warmth grow between them. "Justin, I love you. I never want to hurt you." Brian turned off the water and stepped out followed by Justin.

"Of course you won't hurt me." Justin said as he dried off. "Why would you even say that?"

"I guess I just never thought he would die while we were still here." Justin dried Brian's back and then started kissing his way down his spine. Brian then did the same for Justin and then tossing the towels over the edge of the tub, they walked, hand in hand, to the bed. They made love very deliberately. Every move was as if it was choreographed. When Justin moved a leg, Brian's moved into its place and when Brian's hand moved down his arm, Justin was stroking his chest with the other. After the fourth climax of the night they slept from exhaustion.

The next morning, after breakfast everyone said goodbye to Sonya and Rachel. Liam was taking them to the airport. They stopped by Kate's on the way through the village to say goodbye to Gus. It was not going to be an easy day for that little boy. 

"Brian, when Gus gets back are we going to tell him before lunch or wait until Fi has left?"

"Unless something comes up we will tell him, but I think it would be best if we could wait until he says goodbye to Fi, but we both know Gus may notice before that. He always seems to know if something has happened." Justin and Jenn took the kids to the Cliffs of Moher for a short time in the morning but it was soon too chilly to stay longer.  

While they were gone, Brian called Quinn. "Hi, Brian, I was about to call you."

"I hope I'm not rushing you. It was quiet so I thought I would give it a shot."

"Well, the morgue said the blood tests didn't show anything that shouldn't have been there so he died of natural causes. His body will be cremated today. There won't be a service. There would be no one to come. I spoke to Cain's solicitor. It was set up for things to happen automatically."

"Well, that's good. It shouldn't be drawn out. I know I asked this last night, but is there anything we can do for you?"

"You can give me a suggestion of where I can go on vacation. The Witness Security Program officers are telling me I need to go away for a while. It will come out that The Quinn Cain has died and reporters will be after me. They said since the person being protected is dead some of the files will be open to the public."

"You could come for an extended visit. With all the exposure you have had to surveillance I am sure I could find a job for you on the estate. You should be able to hide easily there."

"Brian, are you serious? It wouldn't be permanent, I promise, but I really could use a place to get away."

"Can you be ready to go tomorrow?" Brian questioned.

"I'll have to check with the attorney but I think I could." Quinn's voice seemed lighter somehow.

"I will call you later today. I know we had a rough start when we met but now you could help me.  We lost staff being gone so long so if you are willing to flex a bit, we can use you."

"Brian, are you serious about this?"

"I am serious. I will call you later tonight. Right now I think I hear Justin coming back."

"Talk to you later," The excitement in Quinn's tone was obvious.

"Daddy, where you?" Jessi's voice came into the room followed by the steps and then the bundle of energy.

Brian snatched her up and threw her above his head. The shriek of joy brought everyone else into the den where Brian was. After a little chatter, Brian and Justin slipped away. Brian needed to tell him about the phone call he had with Quinn.

"What did Quinn have to say?" Justin asked as he sat by the counter in the kitchen. Before Brian sat, Molly had tea in front of them.

"Cain died because he was an old man. I did something I should have asked you about first."

"What was that?"

"I invited Quinn to come back with us."

"You did what?" Justin didn't sound angry but he did sound a little perplexed.

"His lawyer has suggested he leave for a while because now that he's dead, records may become public. Having the same name he will be targeted. Please tell me you aren't upset.  He could always go down to Atlanta and..."

Justin kissed him, "I'm not angry. He is family and we are short on help right now. And this might actually help Gus."

"I hadn't thought about that but, you're right." Brian kissed Justin in return. "We still need to talk about..."

Justin cut off his words with a finger to his lips. "Brian, there is nothing you need to say. I don't know what it is about but all I care about is that we are all in a good place now."

Before Brian could say another word, they heard Kate's car pull into the drive by the house. Justin went out to greet them. Molly leaned over the counter across from Brian and said, "Is it important, this thing you seem to need to tell him?"

"I just feel like I am keeping something from him."

"Let it go, Brian," she said as the door opened and Gus and Fiona walked into the kitchen hand in hand. They both looked very subdued.

Gus and Fi went up to his room until lunch was ready while Brian, Justin, and Kate set the table for lunch. "They don't look very happy." Brian stated the obvious.

"No, there have been a few tears already," Kate stated, but both Brian and Justin felt she was going to say more. "I'm afraid I may have caused some of them. Well, maybe it wasn't just me.  Fi's father stopped by last night. The kids didn't hear much of it, thankfully, but Fi heard her dad say he would take her from me and.."

Just then Brian noticed something he reached over and touched her cheek. She winced as he brushed off a little make up. "Where is he now?"

"I don't know but I am sure he is still close. He never hit me before. I won't feel safe there now. I think we will move back in with my parents. I don't want to do that but I can't risk him coming back and Fi will see him like that."

Before he thought about it Justin said, "Come to Pittsburgh for a while. We need help with the kids. We were going to start looking for a nanny as soon as we got home. The job is yours if you are interested."

"Oh, I think that would be a little dramatic, just because my husband is going through some kind of mid-life crisis."

Brian sat silently. He thought that would be a great solution for them. The only thing that gave him a little hesitancy was because of the night they drank together. Kate knew he was in love with Justin. It had just been a drunken action when they were both hurting. Finally he said, "Quinn is already coming, we would love you to come if you want to."

"Oh, that is a big decision. I will have to think about that a bit."

Before more could be discussed, Molly interrupted, "Lunch is ready. Round up the kids and your mom, Justin."

 

Ten minutes later everyone sat around the large kitchen table. Molly joined them and she started telling stories. Soon everyone, including the kids, were laughing. Cain was brought up a couple times but no one hinted he was no longer alive. The meal was finished with sticky toffee pudding. "Now, don't get any ideas for supper tonight," Molly said jovially. "This is the last I am cooking for you. Tonight there will be leftovers." Her voice caught a bit. She stood and continued, "I am going to miss all of you." She then rushed to face away from everyone at the stove.  

Aaron wiggled his way off his chair and went over to her. He hugged her around her thighs and looked up at the older woman and said, "I love you, Molly." The woman dissolved into tears and picked up the little boy. She hugged him tight as he kissed her cheek.

This spurred Gus to hug Fiona and she broke out in tears. Then Jessi started crying because Fiona was crying. Jenn took her granddaughter in her arms and Jess calmed right down and wiped at her eyes when her grandma held her tight. And then a drop trickled down Kate's cheek, too.

It was about 4:00 when the final goodbyes were said. Kate and Brian managed to get a minute alone, "Brian, Justin's offer is tempting. Of course, I have to think about it a bit but I wanted to make sure you would be comfortable with it."

"Kate, we were both drunk. You had just had a shock. I trust you know I could never love a woman. It's nothing personal. I can only love Justin."

"I do know that, Brian. I was upset and pissed. So, if I decide moving is a good idea, you're alright with it?"

Brian hugged her, "We could use someone we can trust with our children. To make it official, I will have a contract sent to you. I will include the living arrangements and a salary. Call if you have any questions."

And with that, Kate and Fi got in their car and drove away. Justin kneeled next to Gus and Gus wrapped his arms tightly around Justin's neck. Justin stood and he gestured for Jenn and Brian to take the other kids in the house. To Brian he mouthed, "I'll tell him." Brian nodded and Justin, carrying their son, turned and walked to the studio.

 

Justin sat on the sofa wrapped up in a blanket with Gus on his lap. Neither of them said anything for a few minutes but then Gus looked up at his dad and said, "Do you think I'll ever see Fi again?"

"I do, Gus. We may come back for a visit and we told Kate that they should come to the U.S. too." He wasn't going to tell him about the job offer. That would give him too much false hope.

"Do you really think so? You think we will see each other again?"

"Of course, and you can see each other through the computer any time."

Gus kissed him. "Thanks, Daddy J. Can I ask you something else?"

"Sure, Gussy."

"You and Daddy know something I don't know. I saw you think something at lunch."

"You can see us think now?" Justin smiled and hugged him close. "I had a feeling you would know something was up. Late last night we got a call from Quinn."

"Did Uncle Cain die?"

"How did you know that, Gus?"

"I didn't until right now. I heard Aunt Kate say something to Grandma Maggie on the phone about someone dying. It just makes sense."

"Yes, it does."

"Was he scared when he died?"

"No, Gussy. He just went to sleep and didn't wake up."

"He was old. He lived a very long time. I'm sad for Quinn, but he wasn't very nice to you or Aaron and Jessi. He was family but he was a bad man."

"Yes, he was a bad man. But even after being let out of jail, he still was in a prison of sorts. He couldn't leave when he wanted. He always had to be careful."

"Will Quinn be safe?" Gus asked, sliding off of Justin's lap.

"Quinn is coming home with us. He will be just fine."

"I'm glad. Everyone needs family. Let's go into the house. I need to give Daddy a hug."

 

Gus and Justin walked back to the main house and Gus found Brian in the den. He walked over and gave him a big hug and softly said, "I'm sorry Uncle Cain died and I'm glad Quinn is coming back with us." Gus took Aaron's hand, "Let's go play in our room."

Aaron smiled up at his big brother and they walked out of the room.

"Where are Mom and Jessi?"

"Mom took her along to her room. She was going to pack and the little miss wanted to help." Brian patted the sofa next to him and Justin sat down, kissing Brian before snuggling against him. "Gus seems to have taken the news well."

"Our son is amazing. He said he was sad for Cain but that he was a bad man. He just felt sorry for Quinn and you."

"Gotta love that kid. All of our kids are so special."

"Yes, they are." Justin turned so he straddled Brian, facing him. He groaned as Justin put his arms around Brian's neck and kissed him. "You're pretty special too."

 

Molly had said she was only making leftovers for them for dinner but her leftovers were a feast. They had managed to keep both the little ones up with a nap, hoping they would be ready for bed early and ready to wake up early, too. After the children were in bed, Jenn and Molly talked for a while. Jenn wanted to make sure she knew how to make some of the amazing dishes she had made for them, while Brian and Justin called Quinn to make sure everything was a go.

"I have everything set up. My solicitor thought the States was a good place to be for a while. I've already gotten some calls about Cain and soon they will track my location."

"Well, let them try to find you if you don't want to be found. Will you be able to get to the Limerick airport by 7:00 tomorrow?"

"I'll be there." Quinn responded. "And I want to thank both of you for inviting me and offering me a job. I'm a hard worker. I'll do whatever needs to be done."

"We'll see you tomorrow, Quinn. We can talk about job options on the flight home," Justin said.

 

The next morning Molly had a large hamper of food ready for them. There was breakfast, snacks, and lunch food ready for them but she was nowhere to be found. She left a note stating it was too hard to say goodbye. So everyone was loaded into the van and by 5:30 they were on the road. It was a nearly silent ride for the first hour but then everyone started getting excited. By the time they arrived, Quinn was waiting on the tarmac and with his help, the luggage was loaded and everyone was strapping in.

As they flew across the Atlantic, Brian talked to Quinn about some of the job options they have at Britin. Then Gus sat next to Quinn, telling him all about the house and Pittsburgh. Over the 10 hour flight they ate, they napped, they talked, and by the end, the kids, even Gus, were crabby.

 

When they landed at the airport, it was noon, Eastern Time. Emmett and James were each there with a car and after hugs and quick introductions, the luggage was loaded into the cars.  Another car pulled up and it was Tuck to take Jenn home. Jenn and Tuck had an unusual marriage but they still loved each other and from the kiss they exchanged it was obvious they had missed each other. Jenn said a quick goodbye to the kids and Brian and Justin before leaving.  

Justin went to Em and said, "Where is the beautiful little girl of yours?"

Emmett smiled at him, "She's with Ronni. She wasn't feeling very well this morning." There was a sound in Em's voice that caught Justin's attention.

"Is there something going on?"

Em smiled a weak smile. "We have lots to catch up on, my friend. I am so glad you are home.  I've missed you." There was a little desperation in his voice and when they hugged, Em held on tight.

 

Once they arrived at Britin everyone seemed to have an energy crash. Ronni had left a meal in the fridge, knowing it would be best for them to be alone tonight. For now, they had Quinn settle in one of the guest rooms. They wanted to think a few things through to decide what the best location would be. Some of that would depend on the job he filled but for now that all could wait. 

After an early dinner and a couple stories, Brian put the boys down while Justin put Jessi down.  They were all even too tired for stories so once they were settled, Brian, Justin, and Quinn met downstairs in the family room and all three of them sat down with a whiskey.

"You were not pulling my leg when you said you had room," Quinn said as he nursed his drink.

"I am guessing you aren't interested in the art world, so we are thinking security is the best fit for you. And if that is what you end up doing, we will probably put you in the Barn," Brian said.

Justin was watching Quinn's facial expression and clarified, "The Barn is a beautiful, old place. After we left they moved the security office into it and it has a full kitchen and three bedrooms. It is a great place."

"That sounds great, and it is near here? Since I don't have a car..."

"It is on the property but don't worry about a car," Brian said. "We have several of them."

"It may take me a little while to get used to all of this." Quinn looked around the room. "I hope I'm not being rude but I need to go to bed."

"Go. We are heading there ourselves very soon." Justin said, draining his glass

 

They said their goodnights and after locking up the house and turning off the lights Brian and Justin moved up the stairs, side by side. They pulled on shorts and t-shirts and stretched out on the bed. "As nice as the house in Ireland was, it feels so good to be in our own bed, in our own room.

"I couldn't agree more." Brian pulled him into his arms, "We are home where we belong."

Exhausted from the day's travels they drifted off, legs and arms entwined, looking forward to the changes to come.

 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Legacy 3 Ireland: From The Hills Comes A Stranger also liked 234 other stories.