- Text Size +

 

Brian and Justin woke up to giggles. Gus and Aaron stood beside the bed watching their dads sleep. One of Brian's bare butt cheeks was exposed and Aaron was pointing at it. Brian pulled the sheet down just as Gus hoisted Aaron onto the bed and then he climbed up behind him.  Brian, Justin, and the boys shared morning hugs and kisses before Justin asked, "Is your sister still sleeping?"

"No, she has been up longer than us. She is with Rachel." Gus moved even closer to Justin as Justin tightened his arms.

"Well, we better get up for some breakfast," Brian commented.

"Breakfast was yummy," Aaron said.

"You already ate?" Brian questioned.

"Ya, we were all hungry so Molly fed us. There was lots left and she put yours in the warmer.  Her stove is funny. She calls it an auger and it is always hot."

There was a soft knock on the door. "Is it safe for me to come in?" Sonya asked.

"Ya, Dad covered his butt."

"Well, too bad for me," she said as she walked into the door, grinning at Brian.

"If you ever want to see it, he'll show you, but you don't get to touch," Justin said laughing.

"Come on, boys. Gus, it's time for you and me to do some studying and Rachel has activities for Aaron and Jessi."

"School already?"

As they walked out the door, Sonya said, "Well our first class is going to be science and we will be out in the..." She pulled the door shut.

Brian rolled toward Justin and his hand trailed downward. "I think we should get moving. Share a shower?" Justin slipped out of bed.

"Well, if that's the best offer I get." Brian rolled out of bed, barely landing on his feet. As he walked into the bathroom where Justin already started the water, he said, "And where do you get off offering my ass to the nanny?"

After a long, steamy shower, they got to the kitchen. As if she was psychic, Molly had the piping hot food on the table. "Oh, Molly, this looks and smells amazing. I am sure the kids loved it."

"I even got the wee ones to try blood pudding. I do have some if you would like to try it."

"Maybe another morning," Brian winked at her.

"I know most people that weren't raised with it don't care for it."

Molly sat at the table with them. "I will have lunch ready at 12:15 today. I know it will be the children and the young women. Will the two of you be here?"

"Molly, I will be going to the Cliffs of Moher shortly. I won't be back until late in the afternoon, but Brian will be around. He and Gus will be going out after that."

"Wonderful, I will pack a lunch for you." 

"You don't need to do that. I just had this huge breakfast."

"I can't let you go without. How does cheese, fruit, bread, and a bottle of wine sound? I will send along plenty of water, too."

"That sounds perfect, but I can't promise it will get eaten."

"When he starts painting, he tends to lose track of time." Brian squeezed his hand. "If he isn't back by 5:00 pm, I will go track him down."

Justin kissed Brian and went out to assemble his art supplies for the day. "He won't be in danger out there by himself, will he?"

"As long as he doesn't go too close to the edge, there is no worry. I know Liam is stopping by this afternoon. I will have him run out there after lunch and check on him. Where are you and Gus going?"

"I was going to talk to you about that. I was wondering where the ancestral research is done in the village and do we need an appointment?"

"Don't worry about a thing, Mr. Kinney. I will take care of it and let them know you are coming at about 2:00 p.m. At lunch I will give you all the information."

"Thank you for all you are doing for us. Now, I need to do a little work before I go with Gus." Brian stopped as he saw Justin on the old scooter heading down the drive.

 

Justin arrived at the cliffs. Every direction Justin looked, he could see a new painting in his mind. He set up the easel and he then entered into his own world.

 

After lunch Brian and Gus collected the information from Molly about where to go and had the file of information he had and left in the rented van. Gus asked questions all the way to the old village. Brian answered the questions he could, and told him to ask the manager at the Heritage Society they were going to about the things he didn't know. Molly had assured Brian that the volunteers there would love answering questions for Gus.

When they arrived, Brian knew right away Molly was right. The older woman who was working helped Brian find the area he needed to look in and then entertained Gus by going through photo album after photo album. She very patiently explained everything he asked and answered his questions from his car ride in. 

Soon Brian was drawn into the maze that was a family tree.

"Hello! Hello!" Liam called out loudly. Justin didn't notice him until he was only a few feet from him.

"Oh, hi!" Justin jumped. "Liam, right?"

"Ya. Me granny asked me to stop by. She was worried you hadn't eaten yet."

"What time is it?"

"It is around 2:00. It looks like you haven't stopped since you arrived."

"I haven't. I get absorbed but now that you say it, I am thirsty and a little hungry."

"You look like you have gotten a great deal of sun, too. Why don't we sit by that rock in the shade." He picked up the basket Molly had sent with Justin and opened it. He handed Justin some water and then opened the bottle of wine she had sent. Now that he was sitting, Justin started opening containers and eating what he found.  

"This cheese is amazing."

"It is made just down the road. It is really good and I love it with apple slices." Liam handed Justin the container with apples and pears cut up for him. 

"Wow, you're right. And add some of the leftover soda bread from last night and I think I could live on this." He looked over at Liam. "Thanks for reminding me to eat. I want to finish a little more on that painting before all the light has changed. Please let them know at the house I should be home about 5:30.

"Ok, I'll let them know." And with that, Liam was on his bike pedaling away.

 

Gus talked wildly when he and Brian got back. Molly worked on dinner while she interacted with him. Brian had gone up to say hello to the youngest two and looked out to see if he saw Justin coming. He couldn't see him yet so he strode into the kitchen. "Molly, thanks for all the help today. I already have a lot of leads. We will go back later this week. They are looking up a couple things for me."

"I am so glad. Cain is a very common name in some areas, and sometimes it is more difficult if you have many to choose from than if there is just one or two in the registry."

"The woman, Margaret..."

"Daddy, she said to call her Maggie."

"Maggie," he smiled at Gus, "said the paperwork my dad had brought me was very helpful to figure out the right clan of Cains.

She did say it could take her several weeks to be sure."

"I am glad I could help. Now, I have supper in the auger. It will be ready in one hour. I spoke to the lasses earlier and gave them instructions on serving the meal."

"Thank you, Molly. Go enjoy your evening. Gus, why don't you go up with Sonya and Rachel.  Tell them I am going to get Justin. You know your Daddy J. loses track of time when he is painting."

"Ok, Daddy. I will let them know." Gus rushed upstairs and Brian stood at the front door. Did he walk to meet him or get in the van? He decided the van was probably the best  bet. He was glad to see Justin's scooter and then saw his beautiful blonde husband a little further down the path. He parked and walked toward him. He didn't expect Justin to notice him. He knew Justin put him and the kids first in his life. However, when he painted, he lost himself into another world.

To Brian's surprise Justin called out, "Hey, Brian," and came running to him. For that moment Brian thought he looked like the 17 year old he had met seven years earlier. His body reacted the same way it had the first time he saw him and yet now he knew the beauty was on the inside as well. He pulled Justin into his arms and kissed him.

"You look like you have had a great day."

"It was so amazing! I was just starting to pack up. You can take home the painting for me. I was worried it would get smeared. I..." Brian brought his mouth back to his, cutting off his words. When he took a step back, Justin said, "I was talking too much, wasn't I."

"You got a little too much sun. You could have some pain."

"I wore a sun hat part of the day and put on lotion so it shouldn't be too bad. I think it's just because I am warm."

They finished packing up his supplies and carried them to the van. "Why don't you drive the van home. I'll take the scooter."

"Thanks, I am tired all of the sudden. Will I have time for a shower before dinner?"

"You should. Go ahead. I will follow you. I can bring your stuff back to the studio for you."

Justin smiled at Brian, making his heart melt. "Thanks, Bri. I do want to hear about your day."

"When we're in bed tonight." Brian shut the door to the van and Justin started the engine as Brian walked to the scooter.

 

Brian arrived and emptied the van for Justin. He put all the supplies and the painting in the studio, and by the time he walked into the house, Justin strode into the kitchen. He was in sweats and a T-shirt. His cheeks were lightly golden but the redness was gone. Brian walked to him and gently cupped one of his cheeks with his hand and kissed him. Justin pressed himself against Brian just as they heard a noise.

"Kissing again," Aaron said as he walked into the kitchen along with Sonya, Rachel, and the other kids. The adults all laughed.  

"Molly told us you had the dinner instructions?" Brian asked them.

"It should be about done. We just had to take it out of the oven... I mean auger, and put it in the other oven thingy to keep it warm. And we put bread into the warmer. While we set the table, the bread will bake." Rachel said as she put the bread into the auger.

"Great," Justin said, taking Jessi from Sonya. "Remember ladies, we expect you to take Friday off, well from noon on. You can have the van and explore."

"We really don't know what we would do," Rachel said.

"Talk to Molly or Liam. I think they will direct you to the right place. Gus and I had great luck with the Heritage Society Molly directed us to."

"Good idea. We will ask her tomorrow."

"We saw some pubs in the village," Gus said, smiling at his dad. They had a conversation earlier about what a pub was and he was proud he had used the new word in a conversation.

"That is a great new word, Gus!" Sonya said, giving him a little hug. "Maybe tomorrow we can use that for English."

"Ok. Can I help?" Gus asked and Rachel handed him a stack of dishes while Brian and Justin  took the younger two out on the deck to get out of the way.

Brian and Justin sat on a bench where they could watch the kids and Brian put an arm around Justin. "Your painting was stunning. I put everything in the studio."

"I swear this place is magical. Liam stopped by after you had lunch and I thought it was still before noon. The play of light on the water and on the cliffs was just... It is hard to put it in words."

"You don't have to put it into words, you put it on the canvas." Brian brought Justin's hand to his mouth and kissed the palm.

 

"Gus, do your dads ever fight?" Rachel asked.

"Not very often, but if they do they are both very sad. One time Daddy went away for a few days but they still loved each other."

"I don't think they will ever stop loving each other. I don't think they could." Sonya said, smiling at Gus. "But everyone does fight sometimes."

"That's what they said to me. "I smell the bread."

"Oh, thanks for saying that!" Rachel pulled out a perfectly baked loaf.

"I love Ireland and I love augers." Gus said as Rachel and Sonya laughed. 

 

The dinner was a success and they were getting into a routine. The girls cleaned up the kitchen and then were off for the night while Brian and Justin bathed the kids and then spent time reading or watching a movie with them.  They usually ended up in a pile on the bed or the sofa in the master bedroom before putting Jessi in her crib and Gus and Aaron into bed. 

Then it was one on one time. Tonight they filled the large tub and as they relaxed in each other's arms, Brian told him all about the trip into town.

"So when do they think they will have more to share with you?"

"We are going back into town on Friday. I know the girls are off at noon so what do you think about going into town as a family? There is a small park nearby so maybe you could take the babies there and Gus and I will just spend an hour or so at the Heritage Society and then join you."

"That sounds great. We'll take the stroller and I can check out a couple of the little shops I noticed and then they can play. You should have at least two hours that way."

Brian buried his nose into Justin's hair. "Umm, I love the smell of the shampoo here."

Justin managed to turn and made Brian move so he could wrap his legs around his waist and he began to slide up and down Brian's wet thighs. They kissed and touched until Brian motioned for him to stand and then stood himself. "I need you, in bed, where we can be comfortable."

Half an hour later the blankets were tangled around their legs and their naked bodies were entwined. Hours later they woke up to a chill in the air. They dressed and made sure the windows were completely closed and added blankets to the kids' beds before returning to their own bed, where they slipped under the newly added blankets. As they both settled back for a restful sleep Justin reached back and pulled Brian's arm around his waist before falling into a deep, dream filled, sleep.

 

On Friday, Brian and Justin loaded the kids into the van and started toward town. Gus, the expert about anything Irish, told his siblings all about Ireland as they passed different sites. As they arrived in the village, Brian parked the van. "Daddy J, I told Maggie about my sister and brother. Can you say hi to her before you go do other stuff?"

Justin glanced at Brian and he shrugged. "I don't know why not unless you have someplace to be."

"No, we have plenty of time." Justin responded as he started unbuckling the carseats and Brian took the stroller out of the back. Once the kids were in their seats, they all walked across the road to the Heritage Society.

"Well, it isn't my favorite seven year old American." Maggie smiled at them, "And it looks like it is the whole family today."

"Hi Maggie! This is my Daddy J., my sister Jessi, and my brother Aaron."

"Why, aren't you just the loveliest family," she walked over and touched one of the cheeks on both of the little ones in the stroller. 

"Daddy, go play," Aaron called out.

"After you say hi to Maggie," Justin said, squatting next to him.

Aaron became bashful and tried to hide behind Justin but softly said, "Hi," and then ducked behind Justin further.

"Hiiiii," Jessi said, waving.

"Well, aren't you the luckiest little girl to be surrounded by such handsome men."

After a few more minutes of chatting, Justin left with the stroller while Brian and Gus started their research. Justin looked at the small shop and decided they would just play in the park.  After almost an hour, Aaron called out, "Daddy, Rae and Son!"

Justin turned to see Rachel and Sonya and then saw a blonde streak running past him and into Sonya's arms. "Couldn't stay away from us?" Justin asked.

"We actually were at the shop when you realized you couldn't go through with the stroller. We have been roaming for a while and thought some fresh air sounded good. Go look for a while.  We'll stay here."

"But it's your afternoon off."

"Go, Justin. Just be back in half an hour or so."

"You are lifesavers. Jessi is almost asleep. I think if you put her in the stroller and..."

"Go before we change our minds." 

Justin kissed both kids and jogged away. He owed those two. He spent the next half hour strolling through the shop. It was full of Irish handicrafts. He found a couple beautiful pieces he was sure his mother would love. He had them pack it up and paid the shop to send it to her. He then saw some handcrafted toys and picked up one for both Aaron and Jessi. After looking a little bit more he found a book on Ireland for Gus. After he paid for everything he walked back to the park where he found both Aaron and Jessi fast asleep. Rae and Son had covered them up and had them out of the breeze that had started to pick up.  

"Thanks, you two. I hope I didn't keep you too long."

Sonya smiled at him, "Not at all. It was a little too early to go to the pub. Now, we can go start nursing a pint and then see what the nightlife is like here. We expect to be home by 9:00 at the latest." They linked arms and walked in the direction of the bar.

Justin had just taken his phone out to text Brian when he saw Gus running in his direction.  "Daddy J., Daddy J., Daddy got some information." 

Justin rushed to meet him, not wanting him to wake his siblings. "That is really cool. Can we keep our voices down a little? We don't want to wake them just yet." Justin wrapped Gus in his arms. "It is getting chilly out. I guess we will see if we can put those two into their car seats without waking them."

Brian walked up and kissed Justin. "Frick, it is cold out here."

"I was just going to put them in the van."

"It looks like a shower might be coming in, too. Let's get them moved." Once the kids were in their seats, Brian turned to Justin, "I ordered fish and chips from the pub. We will pick it up and then head home.  

"I didn't know they did take out."

"Maggie's husband must spend a lot of time there," Brian laughed. "She called him and told him to put the order in for us, four orders and dessert. She said they always have something sweet but she wasn't sure what they had made today."

"It sounds great. Let's go pick it up. This weather is changing quickly."

Brian pulled out and under his breath said, "Shit, this driving on the wrong side of the road is going to get me." He drove around the block and parked in front of the pub. 

"I can grab it," Justin said.

"But Daddy J., I want to tell you about what Maggie showed me."

"I got it," Brian said. As he got out of the van, Gus started talking about fairies in the woods. Brian texted, saying it would be a few minutes.  

Justin responded with ‘There are lots of fairy stories.'

Brian responded, ‘love you'.

‘Love you, too'.

After a few minutes Gus relaxed and started talking softly to his sister and brother while Justin glanced around at the shops. His phone beeped and it said ‘two minutes'.

Justin looked at the shops around him and just as he scanned the roadway he was surprised to see Brian turning down an alley, but as he tried to open the door and call out to him he was surprised to see Brian walking out the pub door.

"Where were you going? Did you think of something I forgot?"

"But..." Justin pointed at the alley, "I could have sworn you just were going down that pathway and I was going to ask you where you were going?"

"Maybe it was something mythical. Maybe it was my doppelganger."

"I am sure I just wanted it to be you." For the first time he looked down and saw the cooler Brian carried.

"They wanted to make sure our food stayed hot until we got to the house. I'll bring it back the next time we come to the village." Brian gave Justin a quick kiss before walking around to the drivers side and got in. Justin glanced once more at the lane and then got in the van. Brian pulled out just as the heavens opened and a torrent of rain came down.

It took them longer to get home than usual because the narrow roads and heavy rain made the roads hazardous. Before they even got to the house, Justin called the little bed and breakfast in town and asked if they had rooms. After that he called Rachel and Sonya and told them to stay in town for the night. They let him know they received the message just as the van pulled into the driveway.

Gus had worked hard entertaining his brother and sister as they started to whine, needing the bathroom and getting hungry. Brian pulled up as close as he could to the house and he grabbed Jessi and the food while Justin unbuckled Aaron.  

"Daddy, I sorry. I tried."

"Sorry about what, sweetheart?"

"I wet." Aaron's little face scrunched up and his bottom lip started quivering.

Justin made a dash for the house and as soon as they were inside he pulled Aaron close, kissing both his cheeks. "Oh, Aaron, that's not your fault. You tried really hard, didn't you?" He   nodded. "How would you like to take a quick bath now and eat dinner in your pjs?"

"Can I?"

"Sure but we need to hurry so our dinner is still warm." 

"What's up?" Brian saw Aaron's tear stained cheeks.  

"Could you put the food in the auger and give Jessi a little applesauce or something to tide her over for half an hour? We will be down as soon as we have a quick bath."

"Daddy say I eat in pjs tonight."

"Well, lucky you," Brian said as Justin stood up with Aaron in his arms. Brian kissed Aaron, and then lingered on Justin's lips, "Um," he sighed. "I'll start the fireplace in the den. After dinner it will be warm in there."

 

"Daddy, didn't you say we were having fish and chips? I don't see any chips." Gus looked at the food spread out on newspaper on the table.

Brian smiled at Gus, "That's just another one of those Irish things, well, United Kingdom thing."

"I'm so confused," Gus laughed as he put a hand on each side of his face and waggled it back and forth. "That's okay, I love fries." Gus ate a couple fries, "and these are great."

Soon everyone was eating fish and fries. They all agreed they should do this once a week. At the end of the meal they rolled up the papers and tossed it into the trash. Then they all moved to the small den. The room was warm and had a perfect view of the storm. The lights had flickered a couple of times but now they went out all together. With the fire blazing the room wasn't dark.

"What we do now?" Aaron asked, putting his hands up.

"Why don't you ask your daddy to tell you a story?" Justin smiled over at Brian while a sleepy Jessi leaned into Justin's chest, nearly asleep.  

"I know where Molly keeps a flashlight. I'll go get it," Gus said as he left the room with one hand on the wall and returned almost immediately with a bright flashlight in hand.

Aaron had climbed onto Brian's lap and now said, "Daddy, tell me story, pease." Brian reached out and pulled Gus closer, leaving an arm around each boy. Brian started rambling, trying to remember some of the Irish stories he had read and mingled and intertwined some of the details. Soon he was totally making up everything, but by now Gus was the only one of the kids awake and he was starting to doze himself.

After Brian concluded the story he grabbed the flashlight they each carried one of the little ones up with Gus walking between them, one hand on Brian's waist band to help pull him up the steps. Justin put Jessi in her bed while Brian tucked in the boys.

Justin went back down and made sure the fire was safe before he grabbed a bottle of Irish whiskey and a couple glasses. By the time he got to their room, Brian was building a fire.

"Should we start fires in the kids' rooms?" Brian asked Justin as he walked in.

"The boys' room isn't getting hit by the wind, and if we keep the door open into Jessi's room she will get some of this warmth."

Brian reached up from where he was sitting on the rug, and Justin handed him the bottle before crossing his ankles and sitting down next to him. He moved toward him and Brian met him half way and they kissed. Justin offered the glasses to Brian and he filled them. They leaned against the sofa and sipped the whiskey. Brian talked on and on about his research. Brian poured the last of the whiskey into Justin's glass and Justin kissed him. 

"I don't know if I have ever seen you so passionate about anything." 

"Well, then I have been doing something wrong for the last seven years." Brian pulled Justin onto his lap and slipped a hand between Justin's legs.

Justin leaned against him, "You know that wasn't what I meant, but..." Justin turned so he could wrap his arms around Brian's neck as Brian began to slowly lower his zipper.

"I have never felt like this about anything I've done before. I obsess about you, but for some reason my ancestry does the same." Justin moved so he had his legs wrapped around Brian. "Well, my ancestry doesn't make me horny." He moved his mouth from Justin's lips, to his jaw, to his neck.

"Let's move this to the bed," Justin said as he stood and swayed a bit from the effect of the whiskey. Brian stood and pulled him against him.

"You do know you are my passion, right?"

"Bri, I never have any doubts about that." Justin tugged his shirt off and then Brian's. By the time they took off their pants, they moved quickly into bed. Although the fireplace still had glowing embers they did not add any more wood. The storm was moving on and they hoped by sunrise the electricity would be back, but right now, they would keep each other warm. Whether it was the whiskey or the storm, they both were everywhere at once. Hands and tongues stroked and probed and once they were too exhausted to play any longer they lay side by side with one finger linked, not willing to totally lose physical connection yet.

Brian softly said, "I love you."

"You're my passion, too" Justin rolled over, breaking their contact. "I love you so much, I even see you on the streets when you're not there."