- Text Size +

 

Ireland intrigued them all. Justin spent long days painting, either on the cliff when it was warm enough or in the loft of the cottage if it was raining or too cold. As Son and Rae, as the kids now called their nanny and tutor, kept the kids entertained and most afternoons, Gus and Brian would work on the family history. They had tried another village just slightly farther away to follow up some tips they had discovered locally. And, Molly kept everyone going.

The forecast for the end of the week was supposed to be stellar so they scheduled a trip to the castle near Limerick. They planned to go after lunch on Friday and would look around a bit and spend all of Saturday exploring. Rachel and Sonya were going along. They had given them the option to have the weekend off but they were interested in the castle themselves, and with three kids, any extra hands were helpful. Brian made reservations for three rooms and spent the afternoons with Gus reviewing King John's Castle and everything he wanted to see and do. 

Justin was ready for the trip. He loved the cliffs, but both days he had been out there this past week, he felt as if he was being watched. He had seen a couple of people out there but none of them paid much attention to him. He had gotten so paranoid that one day he was sure a guy in a row boat was watching him, but then he decided it was just someone looking at the cliffs. He had told Brian about the feeling he got and assured him it was just the mythical feel that Ireland had.

On Friday Molly gave all the children hugs and kisses and said she would have dinner in the auger for them Saturday evening. The kids were all strapped into their carseats and Rae and Son were in the back row of the van with a hamper of snacks Molly had prepared for their trip.  It was only an hour trip but she assured them her snacks were more wholesome than the snacks they would buy in the hotel. Just before they left, Molly came running out of the house with a couple papers in her hand. "Mr. Kinney, wait!" Brian opened the door and stepped back out of the van. "Maggie said this just came to her. It is something she requested for you. I thought you would want it as soon as possible." 

Brian kissed the older woman on the cheek, "Thank you, Angel." Brian said and saw the flush come over her cheeks. "You are lucky my man isn't alive. He'd hex you for making the moves on me." Brian winked at her and got back into the van. Molly waved as they drove away.

 

Gus looked through the book he had about the castle while Aaron and Jessi napped. The girls dozed in the back, hoping to go out tonight. Brian had handed the papers to Justin who had just laid them in his lap. "So are you going to look at them?"

"I will if you want me to, but I would understand if you wanted to look at them first."

"Look at them. Are they about my great uncle?"

Justin skimmed the material. "They are. I know that you located where your grandpa was raised."

"Yes, I was hoping those notes would be about their teen years and early adulthood. I basically want to know what happened to my great uncle and why my grandfather left his home. Dad said he remembered his parents talking about ‘having' to leave. So I am trying to find out why."

"The cover page basically just has Maggie's name and yours. The second page basically has one short paragraph. What year did your grandfather come over?"

"He came over in 1955." 

"On October 31, 1955 Quinn Cain entered Portlaoise Prison with a life sentence." Justin looked at Brian's face but his expression didn't change. "Did you expect that?"

"I didn't know what to expect but now I know where to search. Knowing Cullan had left his home and country without any plans to do so meant something major had to have happened. Now I have to find out what it was."

 

The hotel was right across from the castle and Gus and Aaron couldn't stop looking at it out the window. Gus talked on and on, while Aaron just nodded his head. The girls had a room across the hall, while the other two rooms were adjoining. Molly's snacks were perfect to hold the kids over until their dinner. They had reservations at a restaurant that catered to families in a couple hours.  

Two hours later the two men, the two women, and the three children were all dressed neatly and walked out of the hotel to stroll the two blocks to their evening meal and entertainment. The servers were dressed in period costume and there were entertainers with jugglers and musicians. By the time they had finished eating, Jessi was in Sonya's arms nearly asleep and Aaron had moved to Brian's lap. Even Gus was yawning as they walked out of the door. Soon they were walking in the door to the hotel and in the elevator to their floor.

"Thanks, guys," Rachel said. "Tonight was fun. What time do we leave in the morning?"

"We'll leave at 9:00" Brian stated.

"We'll be ordering breakfast to the room at 8:00. You can join us or order your own, whichever you prefer."

Sonya and Rachel looked at each other and Sonya responded, "Knock on the door when you're ready." 

The girls, who had carried Jessi to the hotel, put her in her crib and then went to their room. Brian and Justin helped the boys with their pajamas and then retreated to their own room through the adjoining door. Brian opened a bottle of whiskey and poured two glasses. Justin had taken off his button down and trousers and replaced them with a T-shirt and running pants. He took both glasses from him, kissing him lightly and sat down on the small loveseat while Brian quickly changed into similar attire. He dropped to the small sofa next to Justin and as he took one of the glasses, he put the other arm around Justin's shoulder. Justin rested against him and after taking a sip he looked at Brian who kissed him. The taste of whiskey was on both of their lips and as their tongues danced together. 

When they separated a bit, Justin brought up Quinn Cain. "You didn't seem surprised that your great uncle was in prison."

"I really hadn't thought about prison but I knew it had to be something terrible. It says he was given a life sentence which I don't think means life here. There are probably only a couple things he could have done to get that. Think about having someone that looks just like you going through a trial. Could you even walk through a small town like Killinaboy? Most people wouldn't be able to tell one from the other."

"That would have to be terrible, plus loving him because he is your brother. I hope you get to the bottom of it all." Justin brushed his lips across Brian's chin and then emptied his glass. "I think we need to go to bed. The kids will be full of energy tomorrow." Justin stood and offered his hand to Brian who stood and pulled him close.

"Well maybe I need to watch out. You said you saw my doppelganger."

"It was probably just some other stunningly handsome, sexy Irishman." Brian swatted his ass.

"To bed with you."

"I'm going to peek in at the kids, and then I will be there."

"Hurry up," Brian said as he pulled off his shirt and got in bed.

Justin joined him minutes later and without saying anything, both men moved so they molded together like two puzzle pieces and they fell asleep without another word.

 

By 6:00 a.m. Aaron had crawled into bed with them and by 7:00 Gus came in carrying Jessi. After a little snuggle time, everyone got up and dressed and at 8:00 their breakfast was at the door.  

Once everyone had eaten, Gus went across the hall and knocked on Rachel and Sonya's door and then they were off to a day at the castle. The day was filled with museum style exhibits, roaming through the Irish streets of the 800s. They watched skits and saw knights. By the time they left for the day they were all exhausted.The sun had completely set by the time they arrived back at the house and as promised, Molly had dinner waiting for them. She had two different kinds of soda bread as well as a large pot of stew. 

By the time they had used the restroom and washed up, she had everything on the table, ready for the family to consume. It was a quiet meal and then Brian bathed Jessi while Justin helped the boys with their bath and then the house was quiet.  

Brian and Justin again sat in their room by the fireplace but this time they had a laptop out. Brian looked up the website of the prison to see if there was a way to check when someone served or how long they served. After they looked around the site and felt like they were going in circles, Brian shut the computer. I'm going to see if Dad will pick up. He should be near the end of his workday. I want to run it by him and see if he remembers anything ever being mentioned about prison or criminal acts."

"I'll let you talk to your dad. I am going to go make sure the house is all locked up and I want to check the weather for tomorrow. I really hope I can get to the cliffs. I only need a couple hours to finish the painting and it is getting chillier out there." Justin walked to the door and turned, "Say hi to Kevin, and Bri, I love you."

Brian smiled at the man he loved and then picked up his phone. "Son! How was the castle?" 

"The kids loved it. I kept thinking you would have enjoyed it."

"I am sure I would. I miss your kids so much. I bet they have grown."

"Dad, it has only been three weeks."

"I know, they just add so much life to my life."

"Well, you could come out for a week. We have plenty of room."

"I have been looking into it. Now, I doubt you called just to say hi. You would have done that when the kids were awake."

"Dad, do you ever remember your dad talking about Quinn being in trouble with the law?"

"No, but that would make sense."

"I know I have seen pictures of my grandfather but do you know if they were identical? Some identical twins still have their own look."

"I know as little boys they looked like the same person but I don't think I saw any adult pictures of them." Kevin went silent for a moment. "I know I was never close to my dad, but right now I really do miss him. He may not have answered my questions, but, as reserved as he was, he had a quiet strength I could always rely on."

"Would he have accepted my life like you have?" Brian asked.

Kevin took a breath, "It was a different time, Son. Growing up in Iowa in the 50s and 60s we barely knew what it meant to be gay. We were naive. I think his real embarrassment would be that you existed because of my reckless act. Back to the trouble with the law."

"I found out yesterday that he was sentenced to life in Portlaoise Prison. I plan to do my research on that next week. They don't have their records online from that far back." The line was silent. "Dad? You still there?"

"I am. I was just thinking. Please keep in touch and if I can get away, I will let you know."

"I love you, Dad. Oh, and Justin says hi."

"Kiss your husband and the kids for me. I love all of you."

Brian closed the phone and went to start the shower. 

 

Justin shut the last light out in the house and then realized the outside light on the studio was on. He moved across the room to the bank of light switches near the back door. As he turned the light off, he was sure he saw something move in the treeline behind the studio but by the time he flipped the light back on there was no sign of anything. He turned the light off again and walked upstairs. 

He heard the water running in the bathroom and started taking off his clothes. By the time he was at the bathroom door he was naked. He stopped and looked at Brian's long back and narrow waist. He moved lower and his eyes took in his ass. That man didn't have a flaw. He snapped out of his thoughts and moved to the shower to join Brian. "Did you have a nice conversation with your father?"

"I did. He didn't know anything about prison but he said it fit some of what his dad had said." Brian took the bar of soap and ran it across Justin's back. "He is hoping to come for a week."

"The kids would love that. They miss our families. Of course they love Ireland, too, but face it,  your dad and my mom spoil them."

Justin turned and pressed his naked body against Brian's and slipped his arms around his neck. Their lips met and the world, along with the dirt of the day, melted away.

 

The next day was as beautiful as predicted. Around 10:00 Rachel and Sonya took the children out for a walk to visit the sheep. Brian went to the office to look into the prison records a little closer and Justin took the canvas he wanted to finish, along with the paints and brushes, to the cliffs. He didn't take any extra canvases because then he knew he would get distracted and be gone all day. 

There were more people than expected on the Cliffs of Moher that morning. The unseasonably warm weather had many families out. A couple of children came to see what he was doing. A little girl about Gus' age said, "That's very pretty, sir."

"Well, thank you. I was just thinking I could use one more bird right about here." He painted a seagull soaring out to sea. Justin smiled at the young girl whose mother was standing nearby and he smiled and nodded at her. "Did I miss anything?"

"Nope, except for that man over, there but he's a person and you don't have people in this picture."

Justin's head snapped up but didn't see anyone lurking. Then he noticed a man much further up the cliff. Why was he being so paranoid? He looked around at all the people, "You are right. I do paint pictures of people sometimes. Most of the people I paint are my family. I have a son about your age and then another son and daughter that are much younger than you."

"Darling, you have taken up enough of the nice man's time."

"She's fine," Justin smiled at the mother. "I came only to get some of the shading correct. It is supposed to be raining next week and I wanted to have this finished."

"You are visiting the area?" she asked. 

"We are staying just over there," he pointed toward the house. "My husband and our kids are really enjoying it."

"Is Molly taking good care of you?"

"You know Molly? She is wonderful. We all love her."

"She is a good woman. Salt of the earth, and one of the best cooks in the county. What brought you here?"

"My husband is researching his ancestry."

"What name is he looking into?"

"His grandfather's last name was Cain. He was born near here."

At the sound of the name Cain her eyes had widened. "What was his grandfather's name? Do you know what part of the Cain family he is connected to?"

"I'm afraid I have been a bad husband. I really don't. Do you know some Cains?"

"I am being rude. I should have introduced myself. My name is Kate Kennedy. This is my daughter Fiona. I think you or at least your husband knows my mother-in-law, Maggie."

"From the Society... Yes, she has been wonderful to Brian and Gus."

"She told me someone was looking into the Cains. You see, my maiden name was Kate... Katherine Cain."

"Oh, Kate, do you know any family history? Does Maggie think you might be relatives? Would you talk to Brian?" Justin took a deep breath. "I am sorry for bombarding you. Do you think your family could come for supper some night this week? Or just come for tea?"

"I think I would like that."

"Fiona might enjoy playing with our kids if she isn't in school."

"She happens to have a few days off this week. Do you think Tuesday would work?"

"I don't think Molly will care. If you share your number I can check with her and then give you a call." Ten minutes later Kate and Fiona were driving away and Justin started packing up his supplies. He hoped Kate could help Brian. He glanced up and noticed he was one of the last people on the cliff. It looked like rain was moving in so he headed home. He was sure by now the family had eaten lunch and the young ones were probably down for a nap. He knew what he would like to do. He could picture Brian laying naked in bed and could feel his skin under his hands. All he wanted was to feel the pain and pleasure of his cock deep inside of him. He could go for days without food, but right now he couldn't go another hour without Brian.

After Justin put away his supplies he went into the house with the painting he had finished.  Since the paint was still wet he brought it to the office and he was happy to find Brian in there.  He pulled his chair out from behind the desk and straddled him. After a long kiss he said, "Where are the kids?"

"Jessi and Aaron are sleeping with Rachel close by, and Gus and Sonya are in the village, picking up some things for Molly." Justin was already standing up and pulling Brian to his feet.

Justin brought his mouth close to Brian's, "I want you to tear me apart. I want you to scorch every inch of my skin with your mouth and your hands. I want to bite my lip so hard it bleeds to keep from..."

Brian grabbed his hand and they moved  toward the staircase. Brian pushed Justin on the bed and slowly undressed him. He looked at the curtains and went and grabbed the cords that pulled them to the side which he then used to tie Justin's hands to the headboard. He then undressed himself and, getting the cords from another window he did the same with his legs. Justin lay spread eagle on the bed Brian began his exploration. It was all territory he had tasted before but he could never get enough of him.  

Justin was thrashing as much as he could, tied the way he was. Brian was nipping the skin on his penis and scrotum, driving Justin almost over the edge. His tongue followed the nipping and the silkiness after the uncomfortable nips drove him to cum. Brian quickly licked up every drop and then left Justin lying there while Brian went into the bathroom. He came back with a vibrator, and before long, Justin was again ready to explode.

"Brian, fuck me. I need you to fuck me! Like the first time!" 

Brian untied Justin's feet and quickly took his place between his legs. He had barely moved into him before Brian began to lose control. He entered him over and over, feeling like he would die if he didn't cum soon. And then, starting deep in his soul, he felt the emotion build and then exploded and collapsed on top of Justin.

"Damn," Brian said softly as he caught his breath.

"Bri, my hands?"

"Oh, ya." Brian quickly untied him and pulled him close. 

"We better shower. We've been in here a long time. I am sure the kids are awake by now."

"Whoa, don't kill the afterglow. I don't give a fuck if they know that is what we were doing, but we probably should get moving. What got you in this mood today, not that I am complaining?"

They got up and walked to the bathroom. "I am not really sure, but I did have an interesting conversation today."

"You did? Who with? Should I be jealous?" 

Justin washed Brian's back as he talked, "A little girl, Fiona, came to look at my picture. My guess is she is about Gus' age. She was very polite and then her mother walked up. Fiona is Maggie's granddaughter."

"Oh, I have heard her talk to Gus about Fi. You spoke to her daughter-in-law?"

"Yes, I invited Kate and Fiona for lunch."

"Gus will like that. When are they coming?"

"If it is alright with Molly they will be here on Tuesday." Justin got out and they helped dry each other before going into the bedroom to dress. "Brian, one more thing about Kate Kennedy." Justin pulled on his briefs, "Her full name is Katherine Cain Kennedy."

"What? She's related to me?"

"She isn't sure. Maggie told her a bit about you but until they knew you were from the same clan, she didn't want to mention it to you."

Brian finished dressing. "Did you ask her about someone in prison?"

"No, I didn't." Justin walked over and put his arms around Brian's waist. This is your family history."

"Well, you're my family, too. My family history will never give me as much as you do." Justin lifted his head up and Brian kissed him. "We better go check out where everyone is."

 

At noon on Tuesday, Kate and Fiona arrived for lunch. Molly was thrilled to have more people to feed. She always made enough for extra people anyway. Gus and Fiona got along well from the first minute, so after lunch Sonya took both of them into the office to read some Irish history while Aaron and Jessi went down for their naps.

"Your children are so beautiful," Kate said as she sipped a cup of tea. They sat in the formal living room. "Gus and Fi seem to be fast friends."

"It's good for him to have someone his own age. He either has his younger siblings or he hangs out with the adults," Justin explained.

"Kate, I know we don't know how closely related we are, but Maggie just sent over some information a couple days ago about a relative of mine who was sent to prison for life."

Kate sat up straighter. "Are you related to the famous Quinn Kain?"

"How famous was he? I know nothing about him. All Maggie sent over was that he was given a life sentence. I don't know why he was put in jail."

"Do you know how you are related to him?"

"He was my grandfather's twin brother."

"Well, that definitely makes us related, although not closely. I am afraid I don't know the story well, but my father and uncle remember it well. I could ask if they would be willing to talk to you about it. They are kind of funny about that topic. No one in the extended family talks about it."

"I would love to talk to your father. I am waiting for a response from the prison, but someone who knew him or was around when he was will definitely help. Do you have any ideas?"

"Brian, can you tell me what you know and then I promise I will tell you the story I have heard, and it is just that, a story."

"I never met my grandfather and only met my father a few years ago. I'll tell you that story sometime, but my grandfather spoke very little about his life or family in Ireland. The only thing my father remembered was that my grandfather, Kullan, had a twin brother. He fled Ireland because of his twin brother. My father thought he had heard something about prison once. My father went to war in Vietnam as a young man, and his father died while he was gone. His mother never said anything else about Ireland."

"I will tell you a story, but please remember, it is just a story. I am sure there is a remnant of truth in it, but I also know the Irish have outstanding imaginations." Justin draped his arms around Brian as Kate continued. "There was a story about the Sin of Quinn. Being a young girl, I was told that it was not a story for a young girl, but I remember once, when I was about ten, my grandfather and some of the older relatives talked about Quinn never being forgiven for the sin he committed."

"And you don't have any idea what he did?" Justin asked.

"They spoke in Gaelic, and I am not fluent in our traditional language. I understood that a woman was involved and possibly a child." She looked at Brian's hopeful eyes. "I wish I could tell you more. The only other thing I understood was that he could be a problem again."

"He could be a problem? You mean like he would be out of prison? Was he a problem in prison? What..." As Brian started to wind up, Justin tightened his arms and Brian stopped.

"I'm sure Kate would tell us if she could." Justin kissed his cheek.

"I just feel like I am getting so close to answers. and then I worry what I will find out and how Dad will react."

"Brian, I am sorry," Kate looked at her watch, "I do need to go now. I will speak to my Da and see if they will speak to you. I am sure he will."

"Thanks, Kate. I'm sorry if I was a bit pushy."

"I can only imagine how hard it is to wait for answers, cousin. I will be in contact soon."

 

Ten minutes later, Kate and Fiona drove away and Gus had a playdate at Fiona's house later in the week. Justin could see Brian's restlessness as they stood watching the car disappearing down the road. "Let's go for a walk." He didn't give him a chance to respond. He just grabbed their jackets and helped Brian put his on before he slipped on his own and they walked out the door. They followed the road, walking in silence for several minutes before Justin said, "What is worrying you, Brian."

"I know that the only reason he would have gotten life is if he killed someone or he was a repeat offender. Well, there might be a couple more reasons, but those are the most common. I know I could be completely wrong, but if he was a serial rapist... You know he never says it, but I know Dad feels guilty about having sex with my mother. One time when he had drunk a little more than normal he used the word rape. Joan seduced him more than he raped her, but you know Dad. If this Quinn abused women..."

"Oh, you don't think he would feel that way do you? He's such a grounded man."

"I think deep down he would know that, but the initial information might throw him off a bit." Brian hugged Justin. "What would I do without you?"

"Screw a lot of men?"

"That might be true, but I wouldn't make love with any of them." Brian pulled him closer and kissed him.  

"MR. KINNEY, MR. TAYLOR!" Liam was flying down the road on the scooter calling out to them.  It was a call of panic.

"Liam, what is it?" Justin asked, full of concern, rushing over to him.

"It's Aaron! He fell. He has a cut on his..." Liam couldn't finish the sentence before Brian threw him off the scooter and Brian and Justin got on. Justin looked back and Liam waved them on. "I can walk back. Go!"

The whole ride Justin repeated, "God no, God no, God no!" Brian hadn't even shut off the scooter when Justin leapt out of the sidecar and rushed into the house, followed closely by Brian.

They heard him before they saw him and when they rushed into the kitchen, Molly was rinsing out a cloth that was crimson while Sonya held a cloth to Aaron's forehead and Rachel held him close. There was also a cloth tied around his leg.

"What happened? Oh God. Aaron?" Justin lifted him into his arms.

"Brian, grab the keys to the van. I called the doctor and he is waiting for us. Do you know where the doctor is?" Brian still looked manic while Justin was in a frozen haze, holding his little boy close. "Nevermind. I will come along." Molly said as she wrapped a blanket around Aaron and then slipped on her own sweater as the four of them rushed out of the house. 

Justin held Aaron close while he tried to keep pressure on his forehead. Aaron clung to his daddy as he whimpered. He couldn't make himself look at the injury but he couldn't stop noticing how much he was still bleeding. The head seemed to be slowing a little bit but the bandage on his leg had begun to drip. "How much farther?" Justin asked.

"Three minutes. We are almost there. But, Brian, killing us all will not help." He slowed up a bit as they entered the village and Molly gave him directions. 

As they saw an older man standing outside a small cottage, Molly direct Brian to stop. "Justin, how is he doing?" Brian asked.

"He's so pale." Aaron was still crying softly, but being with Justin had helped calm him a little.

Molly opened the door for Justin, and holding Aaron closer he rushed toward the cottage where the man now stood holding the door open. "Bring him into my surgery." He pointed toward a chair. "Why don't you sit right on the table with him. You seem to have him calmed quite well. What happened?"

"I really don't know," Justin said in a shaky voice. "We were out taking a walk and he was with the nanny. I don't really even know how he is injured."

Brian rushed in with Molly close behind. He moved to the table next to Justin and Aaron while Molly told all of them what happened. "Aaron was outside playing with his brother and sister. The nannies were close at hand but Aaron came running onto the patio and tripped over a brick.  He knocked over a flower pot and fell on the shards. The head wound probably needs a couple small stitches but his leg..." Molly stopped.

The doctor poured some liquid into a glass. "Does he like apple juice?" Both Brian and Justin nodded. The doctor added a little of the juice into the glass and then handed it to Justin.  "Please have him drink this. He may fall asleep but at least it will make him relax." The doctor was very calm as he first looked at Aaron's head and then moved to the bandage on his leg.

Aaron was now asleep in Justin's arms and Molly walked over. "You two go wait in the lounge across the hall. I will stay here with Aaron and Dr. Doyle."

"No, I can't leave him."

"Trust me, Justin. You do not want to see this."

"I can't leave him, Molly." Justin stood by Aaron's head and Molly nodded to Brian, motioning for him to stand behind him. The doctor started a pint of blood and injected a little sedative into his other arm. As the doctor began to unwrap his leg Justin leaned against Brian's strong chest, but as the last layer of the bandages came off, Brian saw Justin's knees buckle and he caught him before he hit the floor. Molly opened the door as Brian carried him out and then she shut the door and washed her hands, ready to help the doctor any way she could.

"So Doyle, how bad is it?" 

"He's lost a lot of blood, but I'm not worried about that. I am a little worried about this cut though. It is so deep. This will take a bit to stitch. I need to make sure there are no shards of the pottery embedded."

"Molly, is that really what happened? He wasn't pushed or tripped."

"No, it was truly an accident. These children are so loved. You don't need to worry about anything like that."

"I'm glad! That means I only have one thing  to worry about. I need to make sure this child comes through this with no serious after effects."