- Text Size +

 

It was the longest 45 minutes of their lives. Brian had laid Justin down on the sofa and moved to the kitchen and gotten a glass of water for him. By the time he had come back with the glass, Justin was sitting up. "Here, Justin, take a drink."

"I'm not thirsty!" Justin tried to stand up but Brian held him down.  

"If you faint again and the doctor has to look after you, he can't focus on Aaron."

"But, Brian, did you see his leg? I need to..."

"You need to stay put." Brian wrapped his arms around him. "Molly will watch out for him and we are of no help. Besides, he is sleeping. I am sure they will make sure we are there when he wakes."

"We weren't there for him," Justin said.

Brian wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close. "Justin, he was with people who love him and we were only a few minutes away. Our children are always cared for."

"I know, but he is so little and he was so scared..." Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck and held on.

By the time Molly came out to get them Brian and Justin were both exhausted. 

"How is he? Is he ok?" Justin asked.

She waved them over and they walked into the surgery. "He looks so small laying there," Brian commented, putting his arm around Justin.

"His color is better." Justin walked over and gently kissed the bandage on his forehead. "How is he, Dr. Doyle? His leg... it looked..."

"We were very fortunate. The bleeding made it hard to see and I was afraid something major had been damaged, but he must have had a fairy watching over him. It is a deep puncture wound. We will need to keep a close eye on it for signs of infection. I gave him intravenous  antibiotics while I stitched up his forehead and cleaned out his leg wound. I will give you an antibiotic to give to him for the next few days. I did not close up his leg. There is a greater chance of infection if it is closed up. I will need to see him every day for, let's say, the next 4 days. If there is no sign of infection by that time, I will decide when to close the wound. It would heal on its own but I believe that closing it will leave less of a scar."

"Dr. Doyle is one of the best plastic surgeons in the country," Molly interrupted.

"Now, Molly, there are many talented surgeons in our fair country."

"How did you end up here?" Brian asked before kissing Aaron's cheek and taking his hand.

"I was tired of the city. I had practices in Dublin and Limerick. I was getting older and just wanted a slower life. I have gotten that here. Now I fix broken bones and stitch up farmers. I don't see patients regularly."

"Well, thank you, Dr. Doyle." Justin extended his hand to the doctor who shook it. Justin noticed Aaron was moving more and he reached for his son. He took his free hand and could hear Brian whispering in his ear. 

Aaron's eyes fluttered open and he gave a weak smile, "Hi, Daddies. I thirsty."

Molly was already moving and brought a glass over. Brian helped him sit up while Justin held the water glass for him. "Hey, sweetheart, how do you feel?" Justin asked softly.

"I have booboos. Head hurts and my leg feels funny."

Dr. Doyle smiled at the little boy and then looked at Molly, "Why don't you help Mr. Kinney take Aaron to the van and I will give Mr.Taylor a couple instructions."

"Is he really ok?"

"He will be, as long as you follow these directions. He will need to stay immoble for the next couple days. He must not walk around and he cannot get his leg wet. Molly has enticed me to come to lunch the next few days and I will take a look at his injuries each day while I am there."

"I don't know what we would have done if Molly hadn't brought us here."

"You would have seen the other doctor and your son would have been in good hands there, too."

"His forehead? Will he have a scar?"

"Just enough for him to have girls ask him how he got that scar in his hairline," Dr. Doyle looked at Justin, "Or boys!" he added quickly. "I don't have any antibiotics for Aaron. I will bring it with me when I come at noon tomorrow. Now go and see if he will eat something for you. I bet Molly has some stew and bread in the kitchen. It is just best if he has a little something in his stomach."

Justin got in the driver's seat while Brian held Aaron in the back. When they arrived at home, Molly started heating some stew, while Gus, along with Rachel and Sonya, needed to hear everything. Jessi was asleep in her bed but Gus needed to see his brother. As Brian held him, Justin fed him some of the food Molly had warmed up. She made sure there was enough for Brian and Justin to eat, also, before she left for the night.

After assuring Rachel and Sonya that they did not blame them for anything that had happened, they carried Aaron up together. They put him in their bed and once they were sure he was asleep, they went back downstairs. Rachel stayed with Aaron and Sonya stayed with Gus while Brian and Justin went down to get a bite to eat.

Once they got to the kitchen, Brian buried his head in Justin's neck and let himself shed a few tears. Justin held Brian for several moments. "Bri, he will be fine. Dr. Doyle said he will be fine." Justin just used a soothing voice until Brian stood up straight. Justin got them each a bowl of stew and Brian took a loaf of bread to the table and they ate in silence, both in their own mindsets. 

They sent the women up to their rooms and got into bed with Aaron. It was only a few minutes before they heard the door open slowly. "Gus, is that you?" Justin asked.

"I just wanted to check on Aaron and... I don't like to be in that room alone."

Brian reached out and helped Gus onto the bed. Thirty minutes later all four of them were asleep. Brian had one arm around Gus and the other draped across Aaron, who was in Justin's arms, and rested his hand on Justin's shoulder. All of them drew strength from each other as they slept until sunrise. 

 

Aaron woke up whimpering around 6:00 a.m.  "We're here, Sweetheart. Does your leg hurt?" 

"Leg hurts a lot."

"I'm here, little brother." Gus hung over Brian to see Aaron. "I'm sorry you got hurt." Brian helped Gus get next to Aaron.

"Be very careful of his legs."

"I will, Daddy. Daddy J., does he have medicine to help the hurt?" Gus was very concerned. 

"Daddy, out!" came Jessi's voice from the nursery next door. Brian slipped out of the bed and went to get their daughter.

Gus carefully put his arm around his brother, "I love you." Gus kissed his brother's cheek.  "Daddy J., you can get his medicine. I won't leave his side."

"I love you, too, Gus," Aaron said in a soft painfilled voice.

Justin kissed both of the boys and then kissed Jessi and Brian before rushing out the door. By the time Justin got back, Brian and Jessi were in the bed, again. As Justin gave Aaron's pain medicine, he said, Brian, why don't you take the other two down for breakfast. ''Molly will have it ready in just a couple minutes."

"But I want to stay..."

Brian reached out for Gus, "Come on, Gus. Aaron will be downstairs in a little bit. He needs a little time for the medicine to work."

"Ok. Aaron, I will read you a book when you come downstairs."

"Ok, Gus." Aaron said as he snuggled against his daddy.

When the medication had dulled his pain, Justin gently changed his clothes, putting a diaper on him. "Daddy, I a big boy. I don't need diapers."

"I know, love, but with your leg so sore, this will make it a little easier for your leg and you get to wear pajamas all day."

Aaron started protesting but when he moved a little and he felt the throb, he nodded. 

"Are you ready for some breakfast?"

"I not hungry, Daddy."

"Well, it is best if you eat a little something. Molly said she would make you something called goody. I bet you'll like it."

Justin carefully picked him up and carried him down the stairs. At Gus' suggestion, Brian moved two chairs together and put a pillow on one of them. 

"Molly, what are you making special for breakfast?"

"Well, master Gus, it is something my granny always made for me when I was sick. We call it goody. I am warming up the freshest milk and will pour it over some of the bread I made yesterday. We add a little fairy dust and it makes everyone feel better."

"Can I try it?" Gus asked.

"Of course you can. Everyone can use a little fairy dust."

Justin came in with Aaron and set him down on the seat made for him. "Molly made a special breakfast for you, Aaron. It has fairy dust in it!"

"Fairy dust? Really?"

"Would Molly lie to us?" Molly set a bowl in front of all three kids. They all dug in and seemed to really enjoy it. 

Molly made some eggs and sausage along with some buttered bread for Brian and Justin. After Brian had moved Aaron over to the sofa in the den and Gus settled next to him with a book, they sat down and ate some breakfast. They hadn't realized how hungry they were, since they had missed dinner the night before. "Molly, as usual you are a lifesaver." Brian took another piece of bread and slathered it with the fresh, Irish butter. 

"How can we thank you for all you did last night?"

"Awe, boys, you know how much your wee ones mean to me. Even you have grown on me, you dathuil fear." 

"Dathuil fear?" Justin questioned Molly.

"Ah, handsome man. Your husband brings out the Irish in me sometimes. He looks like he could have grown up down the path when I look at him. He looks Irish through and through."

"Maybe I should go into the village more often," Justin said, raising his eyebrows several times. "I have to admit I have seen a couple interesting looking men when I am on the Cliffs of Moher."

"Ha ha ha," Brian said as he stood up and kissed Justin, reminding him of what he had. "I love you, too." He smiled as Gus came out to get another book. "Rachel and Sonya are watching the kids. I have about half an hour of work I need to get to. Shout if you need anything."

Once Brian had left the kitchen, Justin helped clear the table. "Molly, you mentioned Brian looking like he grew up here. Do you know of anyone in particular he looks like?"

"Now, Justin, you aren't really thinking of looking for another strapping husband are you?"

"Of course not. There is no one that can compare to him, but I know I told you about seeing someone that looked similar to him. I have also had a couple times I have felt like someone is watching me, and then thought I noticed someone duck behind a rock or behind some other people."

"No, I just meant that there are lots of tall handsome men in the country."

"I have seen some of Brian's relatives and he does look a lot like them. I think I am just thrown off because of the magic of the country." He looked toward the den where he could hear Jessi giggling.

"Go be with your children. I know you are worried about Aaron. Dr. Doyle is going to be here about 11:30 and then we can all have lunch before putting them down for a nap."

"You're the best, Molly." Justin kissed her cheek and moved toward the sound of his heart, his family.

 

When Dr. Doyle arrived, Brian insisted Justin take the other kids outside while the doctor looked at Aaron's leg. "But, Brian, I need to..."

"You need to take the other kids outside for some fresh air. They have been in the house all morning and it is a beautiful day. If Aaron starts crying you know Gus and Jess will get very wound up."

"Fine," Justin kissed Aaron, and Brian gently took Justin's chin and kissed him. "Ok, Gus, go get your jacket." He put a light jacket on Jessi and the three of them went out the back door as Brian led the doctor into the den where Aaron sat on the sofa. 

"Dad, why don't you sit on the sofa and let your brave boy sit on your lap. These pajamas are perfect. I wish I had some like this." The doctor kept talking to Aaron about the characters on his pajamas and asked him questions about his brother and sister. Brian wrapped his arms around Aaron as the bandage on his leg was taken off. The little boy turned his head into Brian's chest and cried out as the doctor removed the packing he had put in the night before. Brian talked softly to Aaron and kissed him as the doctor rewrapped his leg. "Well, lad, you were very brave.  I promise, tomorrow I'll just look, and it shouldn't hurt at all."

Aaron took a deep, shaky breath and tried to smile at Dr. Doyle. Then he turned to Brian, "Lunch time? I hungry. Doctor, you have goody?"

"Ah, Molly gave you a special treat?"

"I liked it."

"I think most people do. I used to eat it as a little boy, just like you. But for lunch, I hope you will have a little more than just that."

The three of them talked as they walked out to the kitchen. Justin was just coming in with Gus and Jessi. Everyone sat around the table and Molly served a hearty shepherd's pie. The conversation was lighthearted. Dr. Doyle and Gus became fast friends while Jessi was a bit shy at first. By the time he was leaving, Jessi ran up to him and hugged his legs. He lifted the little girl up and kissed both of her chubby cheeks. "I will see you tomorrow, little one." 

"I'll take her," Rachel said. "Storytime before a nap." Jessi smiled and waved at Dr. Doyle as she was carried upstairs, followed by Sonya carrying Aaron. Brian and Gus followed the doctor outside, planning to follow him back into town so they could do some more research.

Justin started to help Molly but she would have none of it. "You go out and paint. There will not be many days as nice as this one."

"But phones just don't work well away from the house and..."

"I was thinking you could go to that beautiful meadow just beyond the garden. If we need you, I will ring the bell by the back door. You should hear it across the field, no matter where you set up." Justin opened his mouth but Molly raised her hand. "Go now. He will sleep for at least two hours and those young women love both of those little ones almost as much as you and your love."

 

"Brian," Maggie called to him as he walked in. "I just heard from Kate. Her da-in-law is in town today. He would like to have a pint with you. She also said if Gus can wait with me for a few minutes, she and my darling Fi will take him over to their house so the young ones can play.  Her da will point you to the right house when you are finished."

"How does that sound, Gus? Would you like to play with Fiona this afternoon?" Brian asked Gus.

"Can I? I would love that."

"Well, I think that is settled. Brian, you know where Daly's is, don't you?"

"I go to Main and take a left, right?"

"Yes, that's the one. Kate will expect you before supper, but I will let Molly know you will be later than usual if you like."

"Thank you so much, Maggie. You are all so good to us."

"I hear your other boy ended up at Doyle's last night. Is he doing well?"

"As long as he doesn't get an infection, he will be fine."

"Glad to hear it. Now get going. You don't want Jack Cain to get too many pints ahead of you, but why do I think you can hold your own when it comes to pints and whiskey."

Brian laughed, "Back in the day, I could hold my own." He hugged Gus goodbye. "You be good for Maggie and Kate."

"I will, Daddy. See you later."

 

"Now there is no doubt you are a Cain. Brian Cain?"

"Well, it is actually Brian Kinney, but yes, my grandfather was Cullan Cain. And you are Jack?"

"I am. Pint or whiskey?"

"A pint, thanks." Brian followed Jack to a back booth where the bartender brought them each a pint. "Thanks for talking to me."

"I don't know if I will be a lot of help. When I was in high school I heard the tale of your grandfather and his twin brother. Now, like I said, it was a story and by now you know the Irish tend to exaggerate just a bit." He laughed loudly and drank half his pint. 

"I understand. I will be happy to hear anything you can tell me."

"Well, lad, it is a sad tale. Did you know your granda?"

"No. I'm sure they told you my last name is Kinney."

"Yes, another strong Irish name."

"Well, it was given me by a drunken, unkind man. I was fortunate to meet my true father a few years ago."

"Well, your granda and his twin brother were born in the middle of a gale. It is said that the wind was so strong that it was blowing the thatch off of roofs. As they lay in a shared cradle, they didn't know it was twins, a fairy came and stole the real Quinn away and was replaced with a changeling. The story goes that from day one, Kellan was always a good boy and Quinn was always a lost boy. If he could do something bad he did it, and half the time he blamed your granda. When they were in grammar school the teachers soon learned who was the one to watch out for. By their teen years, your granda barely left his home. Quinn was sent to reformed school when they were around sixteen." Jack drained his pint and called across the pub for two more. 

Brian took the opportunity to ask a question, "What kind of things did he do? I mean was he a thief or..."

"Ah, laddy, that was the least of what he did. By the time he went away, he had nearly killed a school mate."

"At sixteen?"

"I don't know details, but the story goes that he was the town bully and by this time everyone stayed clear of him. He was sent away for nearly two years. That was when your granda and granny fell in love."

Brian was so enthralled he hadn't realized he had emptied his glass. Jack ordered another for each. "Jack, I have to be able to drive when I am done here."

"Oh, Brian my boy, you will not be driving home. My Kate will drive your van back and Maggie is planning on following to take her back home."

"You all have this planned already?"

"We do. And now let's go on with the story. When your granda heard Quinn was going to return, he tried to figure out how he could keep his ma and da safe. He didn't have to worry about them though, because when he was free, Quinn was ready for the city. He moved to Dublin."

"Let me guess, he didn't stay out of trouble long?"

"I knew you were a bright one, Brian. He had learned a lot in reform school and none of it good. His picture was soon popping up in the papers and the news, and your granda started getting threats. The local garda knew it wasn't him, but everywhere else, he was followed. Your granny couldn't take it. They loved each other so deeply, and they needed to be together, so they got married and left the country."

Brian drained his third pint. "What happened to Quinn? Why was he sent to prison?"

"You don't know? He came back looking for his brother and when he couldn't find him, he killed his parents."

Brian was stunned. He was sure his dad didn't know that. He would have told him. Jack stood and Brian followed him out of the pub. They walked the short distance to Kate's house in silence. As they stood on her doorstep, Brian said, "I have a question. I talked to the prison and they can't seem to find his death certificate. They seem to have lost his records. Do you know when he died?"

"Oh, Brian. I assumed you knew."

"Knew what?"

"Quinn Cain didn't die in prison. He was set free after 20 some years."

Before Brian could say anything else, the door was flung open and Gus rushed out. "Daddy!  Come in the house. You need to see what they have. They have kittens. I think Aaron needs a kitten, Daddy. I am sure that would make him feel so much better and it would make him happy."

Ten minutes later, Fiona and Gus sat in the van with a box between them. The kids talked excitedly in the back about the new kitten and were debating what Aaron would name him while Brian sat silently as Kate drove the van. Maggie was following behind them. As Kate pulled up to the house, Brian turned to her. "I am sorry. I am not very good company. Thank you so much for talking to your dad. I learned so much."

"But now you need to know more?" Kate questioned.

"I didn't know Quinn had gotten out. No wonder the prison doesn't have records of his death. At least now I know I need to look elsewhere. I wonder when he did die and where he died." 

They all got out of the van and Gus insisted on carrying the box, except he handed it to Brian long enough to give Fiona a hug. He turned to Kate and said, "Thank you, Kate. I had a very fun time."

"Well, Gus, you are welcome any time."

"Can Fi come and play here, soon?"

Kate looked at Brian who said, "Fiona is welcome here anytime, too. Justin and I are supposed to go away this weekend. I am sure Rachel and Sonya would love to have you come on Saturday. If that works for you, I'll have one of them call you."

"Please, Mama, can I?"

"I think we can make that work." Kate and Brian exchanged a hug before Kate and her daughter got into the car with Maggie. Gus took the kitten back and Brian waved as Maggie drove away.  Brian opened the door and Gus entered the house and went directly to the den where Aaron spent most of his time lately. 

"Hey, I was wondering when you were going to get home. Molly just said..."

"Daddy J., I have something to give Aaron." Gus stood there holding onto the box.

"For me?" Aaron asked. "What is it?"

Brian walked over and kissed Justin. "Molly gave you a heads up?" he asked softly. Justin nodded. 

"Daddy, up!" Jessi demanded pulling herself up on his pant leg. Brian picked her up so she could see the top of the box.

Gus and Aaron lifted the lid of the box and curled up on a towel was a kitten. The kitten had long, gray fur with a bib of white and a long tail that was all fluff. "Kitty!" Aaron squealed. The kitten stretched and opened his eyes. They were the bluest eyes any of them had ever seen on a cat. The kitten crawled out of the box and immediately settled on Aaron's lap.

"He is so beautiful." Justin reached around Aaron and pet the little fluffball.  

"Aaron, this is your friend. You get to name him."

Aaron was too busy petting the kitten to listen.

"Brian, how was your afternoon?" Justin resettled Aaron on the sofa with Gus right next to him. 

"Let's get Sonya or Rachel in here. I can give you the basics before supper."

After a text, Rachel appeared in a couple minutes and after taking Jessi from Brian she sat down with Jessi and the boys to meet the kitten.

Brian and Justin went into the living room and Justin put his arms around Brian's waist. "So did Jack know anything?"

Brian kissed Justin and walked away, to stare out the window. Justin moved behind him and slipped his arms up under Brian's as he told him, "He killed his parents! That's why he ended up in prison."

"Oh, Bri, that's terrible!"

"They told Cullan to move to the states. They felt safe because Quinn didn't want to move back to the small town. I am sure my grandfather felt guilty about it. He had to feel like he had deserted them."

Justin kissed Brian's shoulder blade. "How long was he in prison? Did he know when Quinn died?"

"Do you believe they let him go? After 20 some years he was paroled. That's why the prison didn't know when he died but Jack doesn't know when he died either."

"It sounds like he had some good information for you. And that kitten, he is so gorgeous."

"Ya, it was all Gus' idea. How was Aaron today?"

"He is doing well but he is getting bored. The kitten may be just what he needed."

"So, if he is doing well, can we get away, just the two of us?"

"Brian, I don't know if..."

"Justin, we aren't going to be far away. I just have a little get away planned and if need be we could be back in an hour. With Molly, and both Rach and Sonya, everything will be well taken care of. I need to get away. I just need time with you where no one else needs me. I need to have a little break from all this. Dad is going to be crushed. I am supposed to get Quinn's criminal records next week. Before I start digging into that I just want you. We are going on a boat, just off the coast. I don't know if it will be warm enough for us to lay naked on deck but if it is, I plan to do it and we can make love under the stars."

Justin was a little unsettled about leaving Aaron, but he knew Brian was right. The three women could handle the household. It was unusual for Brian to want to get away. It would be nice to have only each other for a couple days. "That sounds perfect, Brian. I can't think of any place I'd rather be than alone in your arms."

The family had supper together and then Brian and Justin took their time putting the kids to bed.  Aaron had the kitten sleeping in bed with them. Aaron was still talking about his new pet's name as he drifted off.  

 

Brian and Justin lay in bed covered with a thin coat of sweat over their skin. "Did you get any painting done today?" Brian asked as he ran his hand through Justin's hair.

"I did. I went over to the pasture so I was close to the house." 

Brian could sense there was something on his mind. "What is it?"

"I don't know what it is about this country but I keep feeling like I am being watched, and more than feeling it, I keep seeing the same guy. He is always so far away, I can't really see him. I am just starting to think I am going a little crazy."

"Maybe it is your guardian angel?"

Justin turned into him and said, "You don't think I'm crazy?"

"I think anything is possible in this country."

Justin smiled sweetly at Brian, "There is something magical about this place." He kissed Brian and then turned his back to him and Brian spooned him tightly against him. "Have you thought about what we are going to do with the kitten when we go back home?"

"We'll figure it out. Get some sleep. We both know tomorrow will be another busy day. Every day is with our crew. Love you."

"I love you, too, Brian." Both men felt comfort in the other's arms as their minds went different directions. Brian was thinking about the stranger that was his great uncle, while Justin thought about the stranger on the hill.