- Text Size +

 

 

"Kitties go, too!" Aaron continued to cry as they drove down the drive.

"But if we take Kevin and Jenn," Kevin stopped for a moment and laughed, "that sounds so weird. Anyway, Molly would be so lonely if we took the kittens with us. You don't want that, do you?" Kevin finished as he slipped an arm around Aaron in his carseat. 

Aaron sniffled a little, "No, I don't want her to be sad."

"Will Molly take good care of them?"  

Aaron nodded. "She wuvves them too." He smiled up at Kevin, "I wuv you, Papa."

"Papapapa," Jessi patted Kevin on the opposite side. 

Kevin turned and kissed her cheek. "Hello, beautiful girl." 

Jessi chattered on, not saying anything intelligible, but Kevin responded with comments and nods.

Soon the two younger kids dozed off and Gus was watching a movie with headphones in the back seat. Kevin leaned forward and said, "I am still in shock that when we get back from our trip my great uncle will be visiting us."

"I am not trying to be an asshole but do you think it is safe to have the kids around? I'm not saying he would hurt them. I mean he's at least 140, but I don't want them around someone who... it sounds stupid, I know." Justin looked between Kevin and Brian.

"Why don't you take the kids into town for dinner or lunch, depending on when he comes," Kevin suggested.  

"That's a good idea. We can text if we think it is safe." Brian stopped, "Safe maybe isn't the right word but you know what I mean."

"I am going to meet my old uncle." It was a statement from Gus in the backseat. No one had noticed he had taken off his headphones.

"Gus, we'll come back in time..."

"I am staying! I am a Cain, just like my dad." Gus' voice had gotten louder.

"Shh! You don't want to wake the little ones," Kevin said to his grandson.

"Sorry," he said in a softer voice, "but I need to meet him and I want to meet the man that looks like Daddy, too."

"We'll think about it," Brian said.

"But, Dad..."

A little sharper Brian said, "Gus, you heard me."

Gus knew better than to say any more. But he was not going to let this go. He was going to meet his family. He didn't care what they said.

Kevin changed the conversation and talked to Gus about their lodging for the weekend, and by the time they arrived Gus was talking about wolf hunting. As they unloaded the van, Gus took a bag from Justin and they walked toward the door of the bubble.

"Daddy J., how do I tell Grandpa that all the wolves in Ireland died a long time ago?"

Justin stifled a laugh, "I'll break to him."

"Thanks, Daddy J. I just didn't know what to say."

 

The family settled into their lodging. They all shared a bath but there were three sleeping pods as well as a shared living space and nature everywhere they looked. For three nights they would be immersed in the woods around them. 

Jessi was fascinated, watching the little animals that skittered around the forest. There were birds and squirrels, rabbits and hedgehogs. "Bunny, bunny, bunny, bunny!" Jessi said as she bounced up and down on her chubby legs.

"Papa, what that?" Aaron asked, as a long, furry animal slid around the outside of the bubble.

"I am not positive but I think that might be a marten."

"Daddy, that Marten. Hi, Marten."

"No, Aaron that's not his ..." Kevin started to say it wasn't his name but thought it didn't matter.

Justin walked past and kissed his son. "Lots of animals around," he said to Aaron as he sat down, cross legged on the floor next to his bouncing daughter. He set her down in the center of his legs and they sat there watching all the critters. 

Gus had Kevin help him set up a telescope to look at stars later that night. Kevin showed him a map of stars and they marked the constellations they planned to find that night. Brian started some music and it filled the space with Etta James. He walked over to the spot Justin was sitting on the floor with Jessi and picked up his girl. Justin stood and walked over to Aaron and picked him up and the four danced for several minutes. Brian and Justin set the kids down and as Aaron took Jessi's hands and started to sway, Justin stepped into Brian's arms and Brian kissed him. 

Kevin and Gus walked in, and after Kevin picked up Jessi, Gus led Aaron to the side and that gave Brian and Justin room to dance a little. The dance ended in a deep dip and a long kiss. Justin straightened but didn't break the kiss. It took a knock on the door for them to separate.

Opening the door, they found the two large baskets of food they had ordered for dinner. The family sat around the small table in the shared room. The food was excellent. There were tender lamb chops and creamy mashed potatoes along with a variety of roasted vegetables and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. By the time dinner was done, Aaron and Jessi were getting sleepy.  They shared a bath in the big tub as they giggled, watching a deer come near the wall of the bubble.

After Brian and Justin had let them play for a while in the warm, sudsy water, they each picked one of them up and they dried them off before putting on their pajamas and tucking them in small cots in a small side bubble. Justin sang to them softly until they both fell asleep. Brian and Justin kissed Gus who was already watching the stars with his grandfather and they walked to their sleeping pod. It was on the far side of the cluster and not visible to Kevin and Gus.

"This is really an odd feeling," Justin said. "I mean, I have never been a prude, but for some reason, the feeling of being outside and yet inside, seeing the moon and stars...."

Brian started undressing Justin, kissing his bare skin as he exposed more area. Brian escorted Justin to the bed and then turned the light off. They laid on the bed naked just watching the stars for several minutes before they began to explore each other's bodies, their hands and tongues stroking every inch of the other's skin. They both felt the heat building, and by the time Brian moved into Justin every nerve in their bodies was on edge. The movements were slow and deliberate bringing the ecstasy to an even greater level before they tumbled through their pleasure.

Brian rolled off because the tingling in his skin wouldn't stop as long as they were in full contact.  Justin reached out so only their fingertips touched. They needed to come down separately but neither could bear to be apart either. Eventually, they rolled to each other and as Justin sprawled a leg over Brian's hip, Brian draped an arm around Justin's waist and they drifted off to sleep.

 

Kevin and Gus stayed up late into the night. The stars looked close enough to reach out and touch. After looking through the telescope for a few hours, Kevin and Gus lay in bed staring up.  

"Grandpa, are we closer to heaven here?" Gus asked in a wistful voice.

"No, Gussy but it sure is beautiful, isn't it?"

"I'm sure glad you came for my birthday. This is going to be the best birthday ever."

"I don't know of any place I would rather be." Kevin had to smile. What if Brian hadn't found him? He couldn't imagine not knowing this amazing little boy or anyone here this weekend.

"Grandpa, I am so lucky," now very sleepily.

"Why is that, Gus?"

"Daddy J has my same birthday. He and Daddy met that night. They fell in love the day I was born."

"And they have loved you ever since."

"I told you I was lucky."

"Good night, my boy."

"Night, Grandpa."

 

The next day, Gus and Kevin slept in, so after eating breakfast, Brian and Justin bundled Aaron and Jessi up in boots and jackets and the four of them took a walk in the forest and along a nearby lake. They strolled out to the end of the dock and sat on a bench, each holding one of the kids. They watched a bird swoop down and pick up a small fish.

"Daddies, look at the bird! A fishie!" Aaron pointed as the bird flew away.

"Fishie," Jessi imitated her older brother. None of them wanted to go in so Brian wrapped a blanket around all of them and they sat in their warm cocoon. Justin kissed each of the kids and then Brian met his lips for a slow, smoldering kiss. "Daddies! Nough!" Jessi pushed her fathers apart. She turned to Justin and gave him a big hug. "Love Daddy."

"I love you, too, sweetheart."

"Daddy," Aaron said to Brian, "look at the bunnies." A grown rabbit hopped along the bank with four little ones following her."

"Look, Jess, bunnies!" Justin pointed and Jessi started to wiggle off his lap.

"Oh, no, missy. You are not running on the dock." Justin nodded at Brian and they all walked to shore and, with the sun now higher in the sky, the dew in the grass had dried up and they let the kids run knowing the rabbits were long gone. The next half hour they giggled and chased each other around.

 

Gus came out of the sleeping pod, rubbing his eyes. "Daddy? Daddy J?"

"Hey, Gus, everyone else took a walk." He hugged his grandson to his side. "They should be back in a little bit.  Are you hungry?"

"Yes! Starving! What do we have for breakfast?"

"Well, it looks like we have some oatmeal and fruit, but there is also toast and cheese. What would you like?" Kevin smiled down at him. For a moment he realized that Brian must have looked very much like Gus at this age. He may have missed Brian's childhood but he was going to spend as much time as he could with him.

"Can I have oatmeal, cheese, and fruit?"

"Of course you can, Gus. That sounds like a great breakfast," Kevin said as he scooped out some of the porridge, sprinkled it with dried apples, and then put some cheese on the side. He also set a mug of warm cocoa in front of him and a cup of tea for himself.

"Thanks, Grandpa. The stars were really cool last night, weren't they?"

"They were amazing. Earth can be a magical place," Kevin said.

"I know but there are bad things sometimes, too."

"You're right, Gus, but we can try to make it the best earth there is."

And then the whole place exploded with noise and activity as the rest of the family returned. Both Aaron and Jessi ran to Kevin talking about bunnies, birdies, and fish. 

"Aaron, would you like some hot chocolate?" Justin asked.

"Chocat, Daddy," Jessi said.

"Of course, love. I will make some for both of you. Gus, would you like some, too?"

"No thanks. Grandpa made some for me for breakfast." 

Soon everyone was sitting around the small table in their dwelling. Brian and Justin drank cups of Irish tea while the younger two had hot chocolate out of sippy cups.

The remainder of Saturday and Sunday morning was similar. On Sunday they were surprised to find a large buck outside of the bubbles. He came so close Aaron reached out and the deer pressed his nose in the same spot. He then repeated the motion when Jessi copied her brother. They both were all smiles.  

Later that day they all dressed in their tweed jackets and Jessi wore a little tweed skirt and vest that matched all the men in her life. She stood in the middle of the room and spun in circles as the skirt swirled around her. "I told you she needed the skirt," Brian said. He and Justin had a debate between pants and the skirt, but Brian had insisted she would want to do just what she had. She was a girly girl right now and they were going to let her enjoy it. By the time she was seven she might be in  leather pants or only wear denim. That girl was going to be who she wanted to be and right now that is an angel in tweed.

They had ordered transportation which was actually an oversized golf cart with plastic curtains for the short ride to the main building. They walked into the small dining room. There were a half dozen couples sitting at small tables. They were led to a back table that was set up just for them. Brian noticed a few of the guests did not look happy seeing small children at the upscale eatery and when he heard one of the customers already complaining to the wait staff.

"I thought this was an adult only establishment. I am spending far too much money at this resort to have children ruin it."

Brian stopped, softly telling Aaron to follow Grandpa. He then turned to the server standing by the table. "Put their meal on our tab." He then looked at the woman who had made the nasty comment, "My children never ruin my life. Too bad you don't have joy like that in yours." He looked over at his table where Kevin was putting a smiling Jessi into her highchair and Gus was helping push Aaron's chair closer to the table. As Brian walked away, the woman sputtered while her husband tried to hide his smile.

Brian kissed Justin as he sat down. "What was that all about?"

"I am paying for their meal to shut the bitch up about our children."

Soon the server came to their table and the appetizer was delivered. They had ordered ahead of time since it was already later than the kids usually ate. The family ate and talked. The adults included the children in the conversation and they may have gotten a little too loud; it was all happy noise. Aaron was talking about the deer that had been outside and Jessi talked about the bunnies. Gus told all of them about the latest telescope adventure. He was already talking about finding the same stars once they got home.  

Gus noticed the couple Brian had talked to earlier were about to leave. Gus looked at the flower in a vase on their table and he jumped off his chair, plucked out the stalk and moved quickly across the room. "Excuse me," Gus said softly to the woman. "I hope we weren't too loud," he said as he handed her the flower. "Have a nice evening." With that Gus turned and went back to his chair just as the server arrived with their main meal.  

"What dis?" Jessi asked.

"Well, Love, this is colcannon," Kevin said. "I remember my mom making this. It was one of my favorites when I was young."

"What's in it, Grandpa?" Gus asked. "I see potatoes."

"Well, growing up in Iowa, it changed depending on what we had in our cellar. It always had potatoes in it and some kind of vegetables. We usually had cabbage. We always had milk and butter because we had a couple cows so the potatoes were creamy and had a little texture because of the cabbage. Then we usually have home-cured ham with it." Kevin looked wistful. "I haven't thought about those days in a long time. Now I wish I would have ordered colcannon."

"Tell us more about where you grew up." Gus said.

"How about I tell you tonight while we watch the stars. I don't think your brother and sister are old enough to enjoy all of my stories at their ages."

"Ok. What are you eating for dinner?"

‘'We all have lamb and roast root vegetables."

"And of course, soda bread." Justin held up a loaf and broke it into chunks offering some of it to each of the kids.

The rest of the meal was filled with love and laughter. After they had a little dessert Brian asked the server for the tab so he could sign it off. The young woman smiled at everyone around the table and then looked at Brian. "Your tab has been paid. It may be overstepping but you shall find out anyway. It was the couple you spoke to before your meal. They left this note for you." She handed Brian an envelope and said, "No rush. Stay as long as you like."

Brian handed Justin the envelope and he opened it. "‘Mr. Kinney and family, I owe you an apology. I had forgotten that children can be a joy, and watching you and your family, love shines. Thank your sweet son for the flower and enjoy the rest of your time in our country.'" Justin smiled, "That was very kind of them."

"I just hope she is happier," Gus said. "Everyone should feel love." He hugged his brother next to him. "We all have so much, I like to give some of it away."

The server came back with a small cloth bag. "Since you said you couldn't eat dessert right now, I have a bag of shortbread for you to take back to your lodging. Maybe they can be a snack on the way home tomorrow."

 

The same cart took them back to their bubbles and after getting the young ones into bed, Brian and Justin changed into heavy jeans and sweaters and they walked out together wrapping a wool blanket around both of them as they walked. Justin slipped his arm around Brian's waist and Brian draped his arm around Justin's shoulders, pulling him close.   

"Where are we going, Bri?"

"You'll see."

Justin stopped and turned to face him, "Come on, Brian, tell me." He looked up into Brian's face and Brian put a hand on either side of his face.

"You remind me of when we first met. Seven years ago tomorrow my life changed forever. I became a father and I found the man who taught me to live. I could never have imagined all this  seven years ago." Brian started guiding Justin further down the path.

As they neared the lake, Justin noticed a trail of candles and as they came to the small meadow the kids had played in, Justin stopped and took in a sharp breath. "How..." In the middle of the meadow there was a bed. On the bed, there were pillows and blankets. The only light came from the night sky and the full moon reflecting off the lake. "Brian, what is all this?"

"Seven years ago tonight we met. I didn't know it that night but it was the beginning of my life as I know it. You know I'm not one for religion or much about God, but whatever controls our world knew I'd kill myself if I was alone." Brian smiled, "Let's get under those warm blankets." They moved together to the bed. Justin began to undress. "Justin, you don't need to..."

"Brian, I cannot lay in this bed with you and not feel your skin against me." He pulled off his jeans.

"Damn, I love you." They both finished undressing and slipped under the layers of blankets.

"Brian, you really wouldn't have killed yourself, would you?"

"I was on a self destructive path. You know that. I would never have realized I needed a relationship with Gus. Being a father and a husband showed me what life really was and then, well, I learned what a real family is. I didn't have a real life until..." Brian rolled so he hovered over Justin and then began to brush his lips over his. He did this several times but never allowed Justin to deepen the kiss.

After several minutes Justin pleaded, "Bri, I need, fuck, I need you." Brian then stopped moving back and forth and now he claimed Justin's mouth with so much need that Justin orgasmed with such totality that he blacked out for a moment. He then instinctually moved one of his legs allowing Brian to enter him. He moved so slowly that, soon, Justin was again ready to climax.  Brian drew it out as long as he could hold on and then, as they both tumbled down from the joy they created together. 

As Brian rolled off of Justin and slipped his arm under him to pull him close Justin said softly, "Brian, look!" He pointed up.

"Holy shit!" he said softly as a meteor shower filled the sky. For the next twenty minutes they watched a constant stream of falling stars. They didn't move or say a word until the shower had passed. 

Neither of them wanted to break the magic. Brian tightened his hold on Justin and finally said, "That was better than anything I could have planned."

"It was... I can't come up with words that can describe it."

Brian turned from Justin enough to pull his pants off the ground. He pulled something out of his pocket and then he turned back to Justin and offered him a very small box.

"Brian, you shouldn't... I didn't get you anything. We never give gifts. We do stuff but..."

"Will you shut up and open it!"  

Justin kissed him and then quickly unwrapped the small box. Inside he found a father's ring. "Oh, Brian, it is so perfect!" He slipped the ring out of the box and slipped it on his pinkie. It fit perfectly. Brian reached into his pocket once more and slipped an identical ring onto his own finger. 

"We aren't complete without them so now they are always with us." Brian laid back down and again pulled Justin close. Brian's hand moved down Justin's chest and then his torso and soon he was stroking Justin slowly, causing him to become erect. Brian then turned his back to Justin and moved his top leg forward, making it obvious what he wanted Justin to do.

Justin draped his arm around Brian's waist and then he slowly moved into him and again they were one.                                  

 

The next morning, it was time for the family to return to their house. Brian and Justin had arrived back at the bubbles at sunrise. Even now, as they packed up, Brian and Justin snagged kisses and intimate looks. Even though they had made love more times then they could count, last night had been special. 

When they were all loaded up and started toward Killinaboy, Gus talked about the meteor shower from the night before until he drifted off to sleep after his active night. Justin had insisted on Kevin sitting in the front passenger seat and he sat between the two carseats and interacted with Jessi and Aaron.

Kevin and Brian talked quietly about the meteor shower but then the conversation switched to the impending visit they were expecting from the man whose actions led to Kevin's entire upbringing.

"What do you think he will be like?" Kevin asked Brian, needing some reassurance.

"I am not sure. You talked to his grandson more than I did. Did he give you any ideas?"

"He's not an easy man. Spending that much time in prison had to have an effect, but did it make him harder or did it make him regret his past?"

"I guess we'll just have to wait to find out. He must be 100 or nearly," Brian tried to calculate.

"I don't know exactly, but he is in his mid 90's now. He has to be unable to worry about physically, but in the message young Quinn sent, there will be four of them. He will accompany his grandfather and there will be a driver and, in Quinn's words, a companion. All I can think of is that it is a body guard of sorts."

"Dad, I hadn't told you this yet, but Kate helped me find a couple men, off duty police, to be around on Wednesday. They will pose as contractors that are working around the house. And Justin, the girls, and the kids are going to be in town with Kate and Maggie. If everything is kosher, I'll give them the all clear and they can come for dinner with us. If we aren't sure, all of us will meet them in town for dinner. Quinn said they were spending the night in town because his grandfather couldn't handle the trip back in one day."

"I should have known you had everything in place."

"Daddy," Gus said from the backseat. No one had noticed he was awake and listening. "I am going to stay with you and Grandpa. I'm a Cain, too. I helped find him."

"Gus, you are coming with the rest of us. Fiona is expecting you and she is your best friend," Justin said.

"Daddy J, I need to..."

Justin turned around and said, "Gus, you are coming with us."

"But Daddy, tell Daddy J..."

"Gus!" Justin said sharply, "Your dad isn't going to contradict what I said."

Gus shrank back into his seat and crossed his arms on his chest. "Your dad is right. Now is not the time for us to talk about it." Brian caught Gus' eye in the mirror and then he looked at Justin and he knew this discussion was over, but he wasn't sure it would be so bad for Gus to stay. 

 

Molly, with a kitten in each arm, met them at the van. "My kitties!" Aaron called out, and as soon as his carseat was unbuckled he squirmed out of it and out the van door. Molly handed both kittens to the little boy and he kissed each of them before walking into the house. Liam showed up and helped carry the bags in while Rachel and Sonya took over the care of the kids, although Gus was still pouting over Justin's decision.

Kevin looked from Brian to Justin and then touched Brian's shoulder. "I think you need to clear the air before you come in."

"Thanks, Dad." Brian said. Without a word Justin walked past and continued down the walkway past the house to the studio. Brian followed him into the building and up the stairs. "Justin, I really don't think..."

"How could you do that?" Justin turned to face him. "Our son is not going to be here when a mass murderer arrives!"

"Justin the guy is almost 100. You met Quinn. He could have done a lot of things, but he didn't. Do you really think he would be in any danger?"

"Danger? Physically, probably not, but what about what he might say? I don't want Gus exposed to details of a double murder or of any of the other criminal acts he may have committed."

"Justin, Gus has been a part of this since the minute we got here. He helped find some of the information. He is a Cain."

"Brian, does that make Gus special? The fact that he is biologically yours? Where does that leave Aaron and Jessie? But that isn't what this conversation is about. Gus is too young to be around a criminal like that without him being checked out first." Justin looked at Brian, "And I will not change my mind on this, so don't get Gus' hopes up. I expect you to tell him that tonight." With that Justin turned and walked down the steps and out of the studio.

Brian stood in the empty studio. What had just happened? At this point he wasn't sure if he was in more trouble because he thought Gus should be here to meet his great great uncle or because he had said Gus was a real Cain. He treated all his kids the same, but Gus was older and he had been doing research with him so he was aware of the family tree. Justin knew that, didn't he?

 

On Monday night, Justin went to bed early and when Brian joined him, he feigned sleep. Brian got in bed with him but didn't attempt to get any closer to him. On Tuesday they spoke when it was needed to plan for the visitors on Wednesday, but it wasn't until bedtime that they actually had a conversation.

"Did you tell Gus he would be going into town with us?" Justin asked Brian as he walked into the bathroom.

"I did, but he asked me one last time to get you to change your mind."

"And what did you say?" Justin snapped.

"I told him we talked and you were right. It wasn't the best place for him to be when our company arrived."

"Thank you. Brian, I know you don't really understand my point of view on this, but Gus is so sensitive. I am not sure how he would deal with an outburst if it happened."

"I can understand that, but I just don't think..." Brian said as Justin walked out of the bathroom and got into his side of the bed. "Justin, why are you so angry? I apologize I didn't support you right away with Gus. That was totally my fault. I just don't understand why you are so angry about this."

"I will be leaving with the kids about 1:00 tomorrow unless we hear they are arriving early. I will return with them around 5:00 so they can meet and then we can eat together before they go into town to sleep."

Brian got into bed with him, "Justin," Justin did not turn over, "please look at me." 

Justin turned over, and putting his elbow on his pillow he rested his head on his hand. "What?" He didn't seem angry but he was withdrawn.

"I hate this. I can't stand it when there is distance between us. What can I do to fix this?"

"Brian, it is just going to take a little time to forget that Gus is more important to you than our other two children."

"I never meant that; not the way it sounded. It isn't because he is my biological child. Look at your ring. Look at my ring. Gus is just older and has been so excited about this all along."

Justin smiled a bit and reached out for Brian to take his hand. "I'm sorry. I know you love them. I know you love me. I just have this uneasy feeling and I can't get rid of it. The kids' well being is what worries me the most right now. If that old man does anything to hurt them..."

"That will never happen. If I have any doubt about old Quinn meeting them, they won't meet him." Brian reached over and, tilting Justin's head, leaned in and kissed him. "I love you."

Giving Brian a small smile he replied, "I love you, too." Justin moved closer to Brian and Brian wrapped his arms around him. Both men relaxed without the tension between them and soon they drifted off into their own thoughts and dreams of the day to come.