- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

This was written by Simply written, alone. I am just posting it here for her.

~Lorie

 

 

"Kinney, you were supposed to be here half an hour ago. You missed the briefing."

"Cap, I've told you before. I am not one of your detectives. I work for more people than just you, and I don't follow a schedule."

"So what kept you busy last night?" Captain Harrison asked.

"It was for your case. Well, the case that I am helping you with, and of course, the insurance company. I keep getting leads that our thief spends time at Babylon. Okay, maybe not Babylon, but a few of the other clubs down Liberty Avenue."

"You aren't charging the police department for your nightlife are you?"

"I am making the insurance company pick up the night activities, and have my police expense account for my daily activities."

"So have you gotten any leads?"

"From talking to the victims and looking at the scenes of the crimes... shit, I'm starting to sound like one of you."

"Haha, what have you figured out?"

"I know someone thought it might be a couple working together, while someone else was sure a robot or drone was sent in to get the small statue that was stolen there. They were sure a person could not have made it in without setting off the alarm."

"That's what our detectives have been trying to figure out, too. They are checking on drones as a possibility. What do you think? Is that a possibility?"

"The thing is, the thief would still need to know how to get around the alarm system."

"Whoever is doing this has more skills than your normal thief." 

Brian stood and looked at the captain, "I need to go tell the insurance company what I just told you."

"So you don't know anything else? Why are you checking out clubs on Liberty Avenue rather than other clubs."

"The only clue that has ever been found was a receipt for Woody's, which is a dive bar on Liberty. I said I would check into that, but who says a gardener or anyone walking past couldn't have dropped it."

"Are you saying someone who is gay couldn't be a thief?" the captain smirked at him.

"I just think the person doing this is far too smart to drop a receipt."

"Keep in touch, Brian. Remember, anything you find goes to both the police and the insurance agency. Preferably in that order."

 

Justin stretched in his bed and then realized he wasn't alone. "Hey, get up. If you want a shower there are towels in there, but hurry up. I have to be somewhere in a little while."

The good looking man in his bed stood and walked into the bathroom. He was a specimen, but Justin was sure he couldn't hold  a conversation about... well, about anything. He slipped on a robe and walked to the kitchen and made a cup of coffee. Pulling out a disposable cup for his lover, he made another cup. He left the cream and sugar on the counter and carried his cup into the bedroom.

The freshly showered man was pulling on his shirt when Justin came in. "Can I call you? I'd like to see you again."

"Sure, feel free to call me anytime. There is a cup of coffee on the counter for you." With that, Justin dropped his robe and walked into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. He smiled, knowing the guy didn't have his number, and as far as he knew no one he'd met at any of the bars had it. He heard the door to his apartment shut just as he turned on the shower and stepped under the steaming water. He had been in Pittsburgh for six months. Once he arrived, he found a job in an upscale gallery and rented a mid level apartment that he could explain to anyone he happened to have over. ‘My grandma gave me a little money' or ‘my last job paid well'. It was easy to come up with something when no one was in his apartment more than once. 

As Justin dried off and did his grooming he thought about the next job he was planning. He remembered how nervous he was when he did his first job. He was living in Chicago with his dad. His dad was always pulling some low level scam and never looked at the future. Craig Taylor was a loser. He didn't have any sense for business, unless declaring bankruptcy was considered an eye for business. 

That first job was just a simple ripoff. He had just turned 16 and his dad took him along to a customer's house. He had just sold a freezer to some rich guy. He had told him it was brand new but it was really refurbished. His dad did that a lot, but this time he realized he hadn't removed a sticker on the back of the appliance. While his dad told the guy some bullshit story about losing a diamond ring he was going to give his girl, blah, blah, blah, Justin had gone and pulled the tag off the back for him. When he returned from the freezer, he held up a ring he had always had tucked in his pocket and they left before the buyer could look at it any closer.

Craig never asked him to do anything like that again, but seeing inside that amazing house gave him an idea. He had slipped back into the house about a week later and very quietly entered the home office he had seen the last time he had been there and found more than $200 in one drawer, but when he looked around, he hit paydirt. He found a safe that was closed but when he pulled on the door, it opened and he scored. There was at least $1500 in there. He emptied it into the bag he had brought along. He shut the safe so it didn't look like anything had happened, put the $200 back where he found it so they might not notice the robbery for a while, and he slipped back out of the house. Until they looked for something in the safe, they wouldn't know anyone had been there.

 

By the time he graduated from high school, he had taken nearly a year's worth of college tuition and had saved enough to go to get a double major. He studied finance and art. School had always come easy for him, so by his 21st birthday he had graduated. He insisted on spreading his wings and going to the big city. He had found a job in New York City. He did well for himself.  Not only did he do well at his gallery job but he had managed to lift a big item once a month. He made sure he didn't pick the same area of the city too often and he didn't always steal artwork.  Sometimes he lifted jewelry, or, on a rare occasion, he heard about a cash exchange. He followed business deals going on around the city.  

Now at 25, it was time to let NYC cool off. His last plunder was bigger than most, so it was time for new scenery. His last hit was an estate sale worth several million dollars. He had heard that the insurance company hired a private detective to find him, so he hadn't tried to get rid of the treasure, yet. Instead he had taken it with him and had it locked in the safe at his apartment.

After six months in Pittsburgh, and four months at his job, he was just starting to look for his first take. As he drank a second cup of coffee, he decided to see if anything more had been said about the insurance company and the jewels. He knew his old boss would have continued to follow the story.

"Justin, how wonderful to hear from you." 

"Mr. Harold, it is great to hear your voice. How is that adorable husband of yours?"

"Oh, Armond is still perfect. Have you ever seen a more handsome man?"

Justin had to smile, thinking about his previous boss and his squat, balding husband. "You know you got the best," he said smiling to himself.

"Have you found Mr. Right yet?"

"Didn't I just say you got the best." Justin missed his past employer and he liked his husband. He was a good businessman and loyal to a fault.

"So, Justin, what can I help you with today? Have you come to your senses and decided to come back?"

"No. I may someday. I overheard someone talking about the jewelry theft yesterday, and I knew you would have kept following that. We talked about it most days."

"Oh, that one is still open." Justin almost laughed, picturing Mr. Harold's face as he talked, "It is still a great mystery but there hasn't been a big heist with the same modus operandi since. Of course, that's half the problem, there really isn't an MO." Harold Harold, yes that was his name, was so proud of himself for knowing what an MO was.

Justin took another sip of steaming coffee, "What about that private detective they hired? Is he still snooping around?"

"I think he is still on the case, but he has left town. I must say, he came in here once and my my, if my Armond wasn't so adorable... That man was almost as pretty as he is. I think his name was Brian Kent. No, that's not right, Brian Kinney. Yes, that's it."

They chatted a couple more minutes before Mr. Harold said he needed to go. As soon as they said goodbye Justin looked up Brian Kinney in conjunction with the insurance company. Fuck, he didn't have a picture posted. Now, how the hell would he know who to look for. He finished getting ready for work and thirty minutes later was walking the two blocks to work.

 

Justin was in the storeroom unpacking art and checking out its provenance. This was a batch the gallery manager, Emmett Honeycutt, had ordered, and he didn't like the look of it. He had never heard of the wholesaler it came from. He really didn't like working with the warehouse style art. Yes, it was the way many artists started, but when he took the job here, he had no idea they worked with such mediocre merchandise.  

After matching the invoice with the pieces he had unpacked he headed toward the showroom to talk to the owner, hoping he would let him choose the next lot. As he started to enter the main room he heard the owner talking to someone. He ducked behind a display wall where he could look through slats and see the visitor. 

"You own this gallery?" the tall, dark stranger asked.  

"I am the manager," Emmett replied. "Aren't you Brian Kinney?

"I am. Do we know each other?"

"You left the city before I got here but I think you know my friend, Ted."

"Ted gave me your name, but he didn't tell me you were friends. He probably didn't want me to be influenced by your relationship."

Brian Kinney! He thought he had seen him before. It was at that dive bar he went to about a month ago. Kinney had strode in and sat down next to Ted. He had seen Ted there a couple of times and knew Emmett was a friend of his. Ted was a good looking guy, but he remembered this guy took his breath away, but seeing him at a gay bar didn't mean Kinney was gay. He may have come to meet an old friend, but he saw the way he had checked out guys around the bar so he was probably gay. He had thought about trying to pick him up for the night but before he could do that, Brian got a phone call and had left.

"Mr. Kinney, do you think I am selling stolen goods?" Emmett was indignant.

"Brian, please, and not at all. I was just wondering if anyone has come in trying to sell some art to you. I was given a lead that someone from New York has moved to Pittsburgh recently and he or she may be trying to unload some items. Have you heard of anyone moving here from New York City in the last six months or so?"

"That is about the time Justin arrived. He isn't a thief, however, he did come from NYC."

Justin slipped back down the hall and left through the backdoor before Emmett could catch up with him. 

Emmett heard it close and after a quick glance and a call out for him, he realized Justin was indeed gone. He walked back to the front and said, "He must have left for a break."

Brian handed him his card. "Here's my card. I'd love to get a call from him, even if he doesn't think he knows anything. If it's alright, I might stop by again later."

Emmett smiled at him, "You are welcome here anytime. If I didn't have my sweetie, George, I'd do a lot more to keep you here."

"George? Is that George Schickle, the gallery owner?"

"It is. I'm not embarrassed one bit that I am a kept man." 

"I met him a long time ago.  He is a very nice man. I make no judgments."  Brian walked out the door and was on his way.

 

Justin watched Brian walk out of the gallery from the food stand at the corner. Once he was sure Kinney was gone he walked back to work, entering through the front door, lunch bag in hand.

"Alright, young man," Emmett said, as Justin walked up to the counter, "Why did you duck out so fast? I saw you watching us and you have never run away from a stunning man. Hell, I've seen straight men want to follow you home. You and Brian together would have every eye in the club watching you."

Justin was surprised he had gotten caught. "I just... he is so hot, I didn't want to meet him dressed..."

"Justin, you are lying to me. I'd rather you just say I had my reasons than to listen to lies."

"I had my reasons."

"Fine, well he asked me to give you this and said he would return." He handed Justin Brian's business card. "Unless you have reasons I am unaware of, and you might, I would call him back and set up a time to meet him, like at 8:00 tonight, at your apartment. He has been out of the city for several years but he was a god in his day, and from the look of him, he still has all his godliness."

"I'll call him sometime," Justin stuck the card in the back of his phone. Then, changing the subject he said, "I reviewed the inventory. I was surprised at the quality. They were nice enough and the quality was fine for beginners, but how about letting me do the next order. You are a great gallery manager, but I think you will agree, I have more experience with the quality of an art piece. With my help, we can make this the first stop for those who have money and power in the city."

"I did that poorly?" Em slumped.

"Not bad, just not work that will bring in big spenders." Justin patted Emmett's shoulder. "This place is great, or I would not be working here. I just want it to be even better."

 

Emmett left at 3:00 that afternoon and Justin was to lock up at 5:00. As soon as Justin was sure Emmett wouldn't return, he called the insurance agency that employed Brian Kinney. He asked for information about him, as if he was verifying his credentials. Yes, Brian worked for them. Yes, he was investigating thefts that took place in New York City. Justin thanked the woman he was talking to and said goodbye.

As he tidied up the shop he thought about how he was going to handle Brian Kinney, and he decided he would prefer he thought he was a friend than a suspect. This time he made a call from his own phone. "Hello, is this Mr. Kinney?"

"It is. Who am I talking to?"

"This is Justin Taylor. You stopped by the gallery today while I was out. Is there something I can help you with?" He tried to sound as helpful as he could. "I am getting off work at 5:00. Would you like to meet for a drink around 6:00 and I can answer any questions you might have.

"I'd appreciate that. You don't know how many times I have to make multiple trips or calls to talk to someone. Do you have a preference where to meet?"

"Emmett tells me you grew up here, where's a good place to eat? I have a loft near the gallery and right now I don't have a car." Justin hoped that meant he would choose something nearby.

"There is a place about six blocks from where you are. "Could we say 6:30? I know that's a little later but I'll spring for dinner, too, if you have time. I may be from here but I have lost touch with many of my old friends. They have moved on with their lives. Some of them have gotten married and some have just moved away."

"6:30 would be fine. It will give me time to go home and ditch the work clothes." Brian gave him the name of a nearby Italian place he had wanted to try but hadn't been able to get reservations for. "Do you know how busy that place is? If you don't have a reservation..."

"I have reserved a table. I was supposed to have dinner with a friend but he ended up getting called out of town. I'd feel a lot better if I didn't eat alone."

"I will see you at 6:30, Mr. Kinney."

"See you then, and it's Brian."

"See you soon, Brian." Damn, Justin thought. His voice fit his looks. You could hear he didn't let people run over him. He was professional when it came to work but Justin could almost hear that voice, soft and sexy. "Shit," he said as he locked the door of the gallery and moved down the block. How could he be attracted to the man who wanted to put him out of business? More than that, he wanted to put him in jail. Talking to his employer today, Justin found out he was working with the police, too, so that was one more reason he needed to ask the right questions without  making him suspicious. As he walked into his building he started planning what he was going to wear.

 

Brian hoped this guy, Justin Taylor, could carry on a conversation. No, from his file he could tell the guy was smart. He completed a double major in three years. He could carry on a short conversation about art and about finances but he had met too many men that just couldn't hold a conversation about anything else. For all he knew this guy was straight and would talk about football all evening. He didn't even know what he looked like. Not that it mattered. This was a business meeting, not a date.

Brian put on a pair of khakis and a button down. He wasn't going to wear a suit, knowing Justin was going to dress down, but this still was a business meeting and a nice restaurant. He arrived at 6:25 and was shown to a table. It was in the back and out of the way. Ted had gotten the reservations as soon as he heard Brian would be in town. And then he was called out of town. Looking around, the interior was nothing special but it had a great atmosphere and it smelled divine. 

As he reviewed the wine menu in the bustling restaurant, there was a point when he felt a draw to look up. The host led a stunning blonde to his table. When he was sure they were stopping at his table he stood and smiled at his stunning dinner companion. "Mr. Taylor?" Close up he was even better looking. His eyes were a sparkling blue, and he knew how to play off of them. He was also in khakis but his shirt was a deep blue that added depth to his blue eyes. Justin extended his hand and Brian shook it.

"Justin, please. It is nice to meet you, Brian." Before they both had gotten comfortable in the booth, the server came up and asked for their drink orders. "I will take a glass of red wine please."

"Why don't you make it a bottle?" Brian said, adding a specific vintage. "Is that alright?" Justin nodded. After the server walked away, Brian added, "I had a couple minutes to prepare."

"Why don't you order for the evening. I love to try new things but hate trying to decide what I want."

"Sure, I can do that. I think they have some sharing plates so we can try a few more things." 

Once the bottle of wine arrived, and Brian ordered a five course meal, they started talking business. "Justin, I want you to know you are not on my list of suspects. You just had the bad fortune of moving here about the same time they think the thief moved here."

"And you are sure he moved here?"

"They are fairly sure, but I don't expect him to be someone that you would run into." Justin leaned toward him and rested his chin on his palm as he watched Brian talk. He was mesmerized by the golden flex in his brown eyes. "Justin, where did you go? Have you heard anything I said?" Now he was smiling and the humor showed in his eyes.

"I am sorry. What did you ask?"

"I was just wondering if you have heard anything at the gallery. Has anyone asked you weird questions or asked if you could locate something for them?"

"No, but I haven't gained everyone's trust yet." He stopped himself just before he reached out to touch Brian's hand. "I mean, Em has been here all his life, and with his husband, George, being who he is, people talk to Em about detailed things."

"I was going to ask why you couldn't be trusted," Brian said with a wink. Justin started to defend himself but then noticed Brian's smile. Brian did reach out to touch Justin's hand, but was interrupted by the next course of their meal. 

As they ate they got to know each other, "So how did you get into being a private investigator?" Justin asked.

Brian told him about a shitty homelife and how he started getting into trouble with the law. "An officer took interest in me and thanks to him I got straightened out. I knew I wouldn't like being on the police force but I did want to help take the bad off the street. How about you? Where did you grow up and how did you get here?"

As they continued to drink wine and eat the amazing meal, Justin told Brian about a bad divorce between his parents and how his father got custody of him. While he was raised in Chicago, his mom and sister moved to the west coast. He told him about his father's poor business skills which is why he went into finance. 

By now they had finished a second bottle of wine and were having coffee with their dessert. Brian looked at Justin, making eye contact. "I have to admit, I really didn't want to eat here alone but without ever meeting you... that was risky."

"I admit I was a little wary myself, but I need to admit something, I had seen you before. I just didn't know who you were. One night you were at Woody's and I was about ready to walk over and introduce myself when you got a phone call and left."

"And what were you planning to say to me?"

"I was going to ask you," this time Justin did reach out and took Brian's hand and said, "if you were interested in coming home with me."

"So, now that we got to know each other a little, would you still ask me that?"

Justin threaded his fingers through Brian's and asked, "Brian, I would like it if you came home with me."

Brian pulled out his wallet and dropped a stack of bills on the table and stood. Without another word they walked out of the restaurant. They walked hand in hand until they got to the next  doorway and then Brian yanked Justin into the shadows and brushed his lips against Justin's and then, ever so slowly, used his tongue to gently open his mouth. Then Brian explored every millimeter of his mouth while Justin's fingers began to unbutton Brian's shirt, just so he could touch his skin.

Brian finally took a step backwards, "Damn, that isn't going to last me very long. How much further is your loft?"

"Four blocks. I hope you're in shape." Justin gave him a quick peck and then he was sprinting down the sidewalk with Brian right behind. By the time they reached Justin's loft, they fell into each other's arms. They began moving up the flight of steps and as they did they both started unbuttoning their shirts. Once they got through the door, they both kicked off their shoes and then Justin's hands were on Brian's shoulders and then around his neck, and pressed himself tightly against Brian's bare chest. "Damn, you really are perfect." Justin said moments before Brian crushed his mouth with his own.

Neither remembered exactly how they ended up in the bedroom but it didn't take long before they managed to wiggle out of their trousers without breaking the connection. Justin pulled him toward the bed, and after he stretched out on the thick mattress he reached out and Brian did not hesitate. He stretched out beside Justin for just a moment before he positioned himself over the gorgeous blonde he was already fond of.

Justin yielded to Brian's manipulation of his body and as Justin's ankles went over Brian's shoulders, Brian grabbed a condom off of the nightstand and Justin pointed out the lube that was next to it. Brian squeezed out a healthy amount and spread it on the condom and then took his time putting lube on Justin. By the time Brian moved into him, Justin was on the verge of cumming from Brian's manual ministrations. They took it slow. As Brian moved he bent down to kiss Justin, but it didn't take long before Brian began to speed up and Justin came just moments before Brian cried out and dropped on top of him.

"Give me... a... minute," Brian said as he regained his breath. Justin kissed him along his jawline. "If you keep that up it doesn't pay to get off." Brian rolled off and as if natural, linked his fingers with Justin.

"I knew you would have skills," Justin said, rolling to his side for another kiss.

"I don't think it was your first time either," Brian said as he stroked a finger over Justin's hip.

"You missed that by ten years."

"How old are you? No, let me guess, 27?"

"Not quite. I'm 26. My guess is that you are..."

"Careful," Brian said, kissing Justin's palm.

"I would say about 30 which, by the way, looks very good on you." Justin knew from his research that Brian had turned 30 on his last birthday.

"How'd you guess?"

Justin thought quickly, "I think Emmett might have said something." He started getting out of bed, "I'm going to grab us some water and then maybe we can have a round two?"

"Two? I am hoping for at least three." Brian pulled him back for one more kiss before letting him walk out.

Justin gave himself a minute to regain his stability. He was playing with fire. Just bringing Brian to his apartment was pushing it, but this man was beyond perfect. Not only was he kind and sweet but he was also very intelligent. He needed to be extremely careful not to say the wrong thing, but he was going to see this man again, if Brian wanted to, that is.

He strode back into the bedroom with a couple bottles of water and tossed one to Brian. "That took longer than I expected. Were you trying to figure out how to get rid of me graciously?"

"Not at all. If I wanted you out, I would have told you to leave by now." Justin dropped down next to Brian and after drinking half the water in his bottle, he set it down and ran his hand down Brian's long torso and slowly stroked Brian's cock which was now responding quickly. 

Brian emptied his bottle of water and, after tossing it to the side, pulled Justin to a sitting position over his rigid cock. Without even noticing, Brian had put on a rubber and guided Justin down onto it. Justin took over from there. He moved up and down slowly and then quickly, repeating this several times until Brian couldn't hold on any longer. Brian grabbed his hips and thrust as hard and as fast as he could until they both shouted and gave into the orgasms that drove both of them to near madness. 

As Justin fell forward, Brian wrapped his arms around him tightly. "Don't plan on going anywhere for a while. I want to stay just like this." 

It only took a couple minutes for them both to fall asleep, Justin still on top of his lover.

Justin woke around 3:00. Sometime in their sleep he had ended up spooned tightly against Brian. Now, he couldn't stop thinking that this had been a stupid idea. Not only had he shown  him where he lived, but he wanted to see this man again and he usually got what he wanted. 

"You awake?" Brian whispered in his ear.

"I am."

"What time is it?" Brian asked as his arm tightened around him.

"3:15. Do you need to leave?" Justin asked, turning to face him.

"Do you want me to leave?" Brian pressed his body against Justin's.

"No, I don't." He reached out and traced Brian's ear with a finger, "I'm off tomorrow."

"Well, good for me I make my own hours, or at least I do tomorrow."

And that was the beginning of round three.

 

It was 9:00 a.m. when Brian joined Justin in the shower. "Did I just hear a phone?" Justin asked Brian.

"Ya, it was the police. They informed me I still work for them and they want to see me. There was a robbery last night that matches the pattern of our New York guy."

"So you know it is a guy?" Justin asked as he rubbed a loofa over Brian's back, hoping he sounded nonchalant.

Brian stuck his ass out as Justin finished his back. Justin tossed the loofa and to Brian's surprise he was soon massaging his prostate, causing Brian to groan loudly. Justin didn't stop until Brian had to support himself against the stall wall and then went into a massive climax. 

Brian turned into Justin's arms and kissed him, "Fuck, I hate to do this. If I'm not downtown at police headquarters in half an hour..." he made the mistake of looking at Justin and his eyes moved from his blue eyes to his amazing cock before he shut his eyes and stepped under the powerful spray of water. They stepped out together and dried off quickly. 

"I'll get you a coffee to go," Justin said, wrapping his robe around himself. Brian came out of the bedroom five minutes later. "Plenty of sugar and a touch of cream," Justin said as he handed the to-go cup to Brian. He let his robe fall open on purpose.

"Damn, you play dirty. I'll call you when I am done. Can we meet tonight?"

"Call me! On my day off I like to work on my own art." Justin kissed Brian as he opened the door. "Leave a message if I don't answer. I go into my own little world when I am painting." With that, Justin pushed him out the door and shut it behind him.

Brian wasn't sure what had hit him. He wasn't sure he had ever felt like this before.

Justin was also uncertain about what had just happened. Did he want to see him again? Hell, yes! Should he see Brian Kinney again? He would have to make that decision. He took his cup of coffee with him into the bedroom as he pulled on his painting clothes and left the apartment himself to go to his studio.