- Text Size +

 

Once back in Pittsburgh, Brian and Justin settled into their life. They hired a contractor to expand the living area to include another bedroom and bath. Molly would be starting her job with the trust soon and she would be spending some time with them, although most of the time she would be working from California. The remodeling plan also had a second suite sketched out. In case they needed more room later.  

Cap was nearly done with his treatment. Brian and Justin had brought dinner at least once a week and had talked to either Cap or Angie a couple times. Cap did well, but by the last couple of weeks he was very tired and he had gotten short with everyone. On Friday Justin had talked to Angie and he could tell she was wearing down. She sounded almost as tired as Cap was.

Justin texted Brian and told him to call when he had a moment to talk. About fifteen minutes later, Brian called. "Hey Sunshine, what's up? Are you planning an orgy for us tonight?"

"Brian Kinney, I'm not enough for you? If I'm not mistaken you were late for work today because you were very satisfied this morning."

Brian's laugh came across the phone. That laugh always made Justin's heart skip a beat. "You are definitely enough for me."

"I talked to Ang this morning. How busy is your afternoon?"

"I should be able to finish up by 3:00. What are you planning?"

"Ang definitely needs a break, but won't do that unless someone is there with Cap. She said he was almost too tired to walk today. Will you go over there and drink some beer while Cap naps and complains?" Justin added, "Not that he doesn't have a right to complain."

"What are you planning for Ang?"

"I am going to take her to a spa. When I explained to the spa owner about what had been going on, she said she could get both of us in for three hours of relaxation."

"What time do you need me over there?"

"3:45 at the latest."

"If you can bring me some sweats and a t-shirt, I can make this work. I will see you over there." Justin thought he had hung up, but then he added, "Justin, thanks for doing this. I would have never thought to do that. I was going to check on them today but... well, thank you."

"They loved you before I could find you. They deserve everything."

"See you in a couple hours. Call Angie and let her know what you planned."

Justin didn't waste any time calling her, "Justin, two calls in one day?"

"Angie, I want you to be ready to go away at 3:30."

"Oh, Justin, that's thoughtful but I don't know where I would go, even knowing you'd be with Cap."

"Can I change your mind if I tell you Brian will stay with Cap and you and I have an appointment at the spa for a massage and facials?" Justin heard a noise but wasn't sure what it was. "Ang, are you there?"

When her voice came back on line he could hear it was full of emotion. "Oh, Justin," she took a deep breath, "I'll be ready."

 

Brian arrived just in time, and after claiming a kiss from both Angie and Justin, and his bag of clothes, Angie and Justin were gone. Justin had ordered dinner for Brian and Cap that would be delivered around 5:00, but could be kept warm until they were ready to eat. Brian sat on the end of the sectional opposite of Cap who was sound asleep at the moment. He picked up the remote and was soon absorbed in a James Dean movie. 

"Ang?" Cap's eyes fluttered open. "Oh, right, hey Brian."

"Good evening," Brian smiled at the older man. "Figured Ang told you I was coming."

"She did. I just have a little brain fog. I'm so glad I am done with the treatment. It kicked my ass." Brian got up and got him a bottle of water.

"Now you can just chill and get back to normal."

"I know Ang is worn out, too. I've been hard on her."

"Cap, she understands. But I am glad Justin planned this get away for her. They are getting massages, facials, and then going to dinner."

"Does that mean you're cooking dinner?" Cap pulled a face.

"No, that means Justin ordered us dinner."

"I can see why you love that boy," Cap smiled but then got serious. "I do understand why you love him. He is everything we hoped you would find."

"Ya, I got lucky." Before Brian could continue, the doorbell rang. "That will be dinner. I'll put it in the oven and bring back..."

"A whiskey. One will not kill me." Cap said as Brian moved to the door.

 

Justin and Angie sat side by side getting facials. Angie reached over and located Justin's hand and squeezed it. "Thank you for all of this."

"I have to say, it is a real imposition to get a facial and massage." Justin tightened his grip once more before letting her hand go.  

When they finished the facial they got separate massages and at 7:00 they met in the lobby of the spa and Justin escorted her out to his car. "Where would you like to go for dinner?"

"We can just go through a drive thru."

"I knew you would say that so I already made reservations at that hot new place we were talking about the other night."

"Justin, that isn't necessary."

"No one said anything about necessary. Let Brian and Cap gossip about work. We can plan the shop downstairs."

Once they were at a table with a glass of wine, Angie took a sip and said, "Did I tell you I turned in my resignation."

"No. When did you do that?"

"Just this week. I had taken off a lot of time the last couple months and I decided they obviously could manage without me. I feel like Cap and I have a second chance, and this time around, I plan to enjoy my time with that man and I think my new boss will be flexible."

"Well, I am sure that can be worked out." Justin raised his glass of wine and Angie met him with her own. "If you have a day this week you can come over, I'd like to get your opinion about a couple of things. "I want to get to work first thing in the morning so just plan on it Monday. I'll be there around 8:30." 

The rest of the meal they ate and talked. Justin stopped drinking after a couple glasses of wine but by the time Justin drove Ang home, she had drunk several glasses and she leaned on Justin for support. He drove her home and assisted her into the house. There was a note from Brian on the counter letting Angie know he stayed until Cap went to bed for the night. He let her know Cap had eaten well and there were a few leftovers in the fridge.

"Well, I will go home to my guy. If you need anything, you know where to find us, and I will see you Monday morning." Justin kissed her cheek and she hugged him tightly.  

"Thank you, Justin. Today was just what I needed." She called after him as he jogged to the car. 

Before pulling out, he texted Brian he was on the way and then pulled out into traffic. As he pushed the remote for the garage door, he saw Brian was waiting for him totally naked and holding a bouquet of flowers below his waist. Justin pulled in and closed the door behind him as he turned off the car. Brian walked over and opened the car door for him and Justin stood up as Brian extended the flowers and Justin took them.

"What are these for?" he asked as he ran his hand down Brian's naked body.

"The flowers are from Cap." Brian's arm went around Justin and pulled him close.

"Cap wanted you to get me flowers?"

"He was touched that you thought about Angie. He knows it hasn't been easier for her." Justin began leaving a trail of kisses across his chest making it hard for him to think straight.

"And he told you to meet me naked?"

"No, that was my idea, but right now it doesn't seem fair," Brian said, as Justin latched onto one of his nipples. He began to tug Justin's shirt out of his pants and then, after undoing a couple buttons and laying the flowers on the car, he tugged Justin's shirt off over his head.   

"I take it we aren't going upstairs before we..." Brian's mouth crushed Justin's.

As he ran his hands down Justin's back he whispered, "You're all oily and you smell of lavender and cedar."

Justin undid his own fly and let his pants fall to the floor. Brian didn't waste any time. He turned Justin around and laid him down on the hood of the car. Justin wrapped his legs around Brian's waist and pulled him in. He then sat up and put his arms around Brian's neck. He made sure the car would still support some of his weight. 

Once they got into a rhythm, neither of them wanted it to end, but soon neither of them could hang on anymore and Justin tightened his grip on Brian and pulled him over so they both rested on the car as the waves rolled through them. As Brian lost his footing they both slid down the hood, and awkwardly but gently they landed on the floor.

When they both stopped laughing, Brian got serious. "We didn't scratch the paint job did we?"           

"I've had the paint touched up before," Justin smiled as he kissed him before standing up. 

Justin offered Brian a hand and Brian stood. "You didn't scratch it the same way then, did you?" 

Justin didn't respond until he looked at the car. "I don't see anything."

Brian pulled him in. "You didn't answer me."

"Brian, is there a reason you have been so possessive lately?"

"Let's go upstairs. I'm getting cold."

"Sure, but this isn't over." He led the way up the steps, carrying his clothes in one hand and his flowers in the other. Once they were in the apartment, Justin pulled on a robe and put his flowers in a vase before sitting down with Brian who had also slipped into a robe and poured them each two fingers of whiskey. They sat on the sofa and Justin leaned against Brian. 

Justin told Brian about Angie coming Monday to start planning the shop downstairs and they talked about Cap. "He has nights when he comes home tired but he has never felt so exhausted."       

"Does he seem overwhelmed by it?"

Brian thought for a moment. "He really didn't. It will be hard for him to take it slow but I'll watch at work and remind him his body needs rest and the better he takes care of himself, the faster he will be back to full time."

"I'm glad. Ang really needed a break. They love each other so much. I don't know if I have ever seen a couple that close. You can just see they are best friends." Brian finished his drink and laid down so his head was in Justin's lap. "Bri, what is it? We both have had a well lived life before. Now we're together. The past is just that, the past."

"You have so much, Brian said. You don't need me." Justin used his fingers through Brian's hair. "Hell, you almost have the shop completely ordered and I don't even know the layout."

"Brian, are you feeling left out? I didn't know you wanted to be involved."

Brian stopped Justin's hand and linked his fingers with it. "I'm not feeling left out as much as unneeded. I've always been the guy who is self-assured."

Justin pushed Brian into a sitting position. "What are you saying? Please don't tell me you don't want this anymore. I mean, all the remodeling, all the planning, all the... " Justin took a deep breath, "I thought we loved each other." By now he was on his feet pacing back and forth.

"Woah," Brian stood and wrapped him in his arms. He kissed him, and as he did Justin's body relaxed. After a few minutes Brian took a step back, "I'm not going anywhere. Wow, I guess you aren't as independent as I thought."

"Brian, it scares me sometimes how hard it is for me to breathe when I'm not with you, and then the moment I see you my heart stops racing and everything balances itself."                                               

"My cat burglar gets nervous?"

"Not when I'm breaking in somewhere, but I really don't want to come home to an empty apartment anymore." Justin's arms went around Brian's neck and they began to sway to  unheard music. Justin softly began to sing.

♪Nights in white satin

Never reaching the end

Letters I've written

Never meaning to send

Beauty I'd always missed

With these eyes before

Just what the truth is

I can't say anymore

'Cause I love you

Yes I love you

Oh, how I love you

Gazing at people

Some hand in hand

Just what I'm going through

They can't understand

Some try to tell me

Thoughts they cannot defend

Just what you want to be

You will be in the end

And I love you

Yes I love you

Oh, how I love you

Oh, how I love you♪

Songwriters: Justin Hayward                     

 

By the time Justin got through the second verse, Brian had moved toward the steps to the bedroom. In response to Justin's song, Brian responded by singing back, "Yes, I love you. Oh, how I love you."

Together they moved up the two steps and proceeded to the bed where they made love until the sun began to rise.

 

A month later, a lot of changes had occurred. Cap was still a little sluggish but he was back to work full time and didn't have to go back to the oncologist for three months. And the other big change at their house was Angie left at 6:00 every morning to open Justin's new shop everyday. 

Justin had turned the name of the place over and over in his head for several days and one night about 3:00 a.m. he sat up and said, "Java & Brush!"                        

"Have you lost your mind?" Brian grumbled after being woken up from a deep sleep.

"I finally decided on a name."

"For the last week you have had 100 perfect names. I heard the Brush and Brew, the Painted Bean, the Easel Cafe and on and on and on..." Brian pulled Justin back down and kissed his temple and smiled, "I like it."

Justin nestled his head on Brian's shoulder, "I hadn't thought of that, but I think it is perfect.  Hopefully Angie likes it and just in time. Most of the furnishings are being delivered tomorrow and now I know what to add to my sign design. Sorry, I woke you." Justin pressed himself against Brian and yawned. 

Brian smiled at him and said, "I'm glad you found your name." He held Justin close and just as he was drifting off he said sleepily, "You know those are our initials."

"Ya, Love, that's what makes it perfect."                                        

 

"What time is Molly getting here? Does someone need to pick her up at the airport?" Brian asked as he walked into the shop. The next day was the grand opening and there was a lot going on.

"I offered. She said she would take an Uber, which is probably good because I have so much to do," Justin said as he rushed to open the door for Angie and Cap. They both had their arms full of paper products for the coffee shop.

"Justin, you have to see these. The branding is perfect."

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin's shoulders from behind, "Of course they are. Justin designed them." He kissed him on the temple from behind.                        

"Is your sister here yet? Does Cap need to pick her up?" Angie asked. 

"I just told Brian she is taking an Uber from the airport. That was her choice. She should be here in a couple hours. She is in the air now but should be landing in half an hour."

"I can't wait to meet her. Do you think she will want to move here? I think it would be great if she moved here."

"Originally she was sure she wanted to stay near Mom in California, but Mom is thinking about moving further north, and if she does that Molly will probably move here."

"And live with you?" Cap questioned. He knew Brian and Justin liked their space and let the spirit move them when the mood hit.

Justin smiled and said, "She will for this visit. If she decides to move, we will either do a little more remodeling or she can move into my old apartment. She could live and work out of there."   Justin's phone pinged and he looked at the message. His expression didn't change but Brian noticed a flicker in his eyes.

"Everything okay?" 

"Ya, no big deal," Justin said before they all got busy on their own tasks.

They went about finishing last minute details around the shop but the first time he had a chance to get him alone, Brian asked Justin, "What was the message?"

"An old contact sent me some information. I'll have to look into it tonight. It's nothing that has to happen right now, but if what I read is true, I might be planning my next, um, project."

"What is it?"

"Are you sure you want to get involved? You work for the police."

"So do you."

"I am contracted by the police.That's a little different. Let me look into this and if it checks out I will let you know some of the details."

"That's fair." Brian dropped a kiss on the end of his nose. "I don't need to know everything, especially if you aren't doing anything with it, but if you plan to..."

Justin bit Brian's chin gently, "I will tell you as much as needed when the time comes."      

 

Justin started pacing when his sister was getting close. Molly had never been to one of Justin's homes. He had talked to Brian for several nights about telling her about his real profession and how it is connected to her new job with him. With Brian's support he decided he was going to tell Molly everything. Brian had assured him that Molly would understand his past and if she really didn't like him doing it now, he would stop. He could do other things to help keep the funding for his trust. His new ceramics line was taking off and the money was starting to come in. He wasn't worried about that.

As Justin was mulling over the conversation he planned to have with her, Brian saw a car pull up in the parking lot and he went out to meet her. "Brian!" He ran into his arms for a hug and then started to go back to get her luggage.

"It is great to see you, Molly. I'm glad you're here. I will get your stuff and you go in and see your brother." He pointed to the shop and headed to the car.

Justin wouldn't have heard Molly except the door chimes sounded as she entered. "Sorry, we aren't open... Molly!" He quickly strode across the shop and hugged her. "How did I miss you?"

"I don't know. What were you doing?"

"Thinking about you."

"You have an amazing boyfriend that looks like Brian and you were thinking about me? Bro, where are your priorities?"

"Trust me, he takes up enough of my thoughts. How was your flight?"

"Uneventful. Now show me around this place." After Justin showed her around the store and then the studio, he brought her up to the loft. "And here's your room," he said as they entered the new hall that had been finished a couple weeks ago. "Let me show you the new section that was just finished. We wanted a place for guests and you are our first." He led her into a spacious bedroom that included a large closet and bath. Her bags were already sitting inside the closet.

"This place is great, Justin. Do you and Brian own all of this?"

"Yes, it is in both our names."

"I know you didn't grow up with money and neither did Brian. Your art must be doing great!"

"This area isn't that expensive. Brian was renting the apartment here when we met." He put a hand in the middle of her lower back and guided her to the original residence. "And here is the rest of it."

"Wow! this is a great space." She saw Brian sitting on the sofa drinking a beer and said, "Thanks for bringing my bag in. I love this place."

"Want a beer?" Justin asked her.

"What else do you have?"

"Wine and a wide array of other liquor."

"I'll take a glass of wine. Do we have plans this evening?"

"We do. You are going to meet Brian's family. I told you about Angie and Cap, right?"

"Oh, great! I can't wait to meet them. She is working for you, right?"

"She is the manager and will do all the ordering, although I will keep track of the art supplies mostly. You will love them. Angie is a lot like Mom. Speaking of Mom, is she really moving north?"

"She is, and she knows if I like it out here, I am moving. I'm starting my adult life. You and I just need to get to know each other better. I mean, you don't own a place like this as a struggling artist and an investigator that works for the police."

Brian tightened his arm around Justin who was sitting next to him. "Molly, Justin debated how much to tell you in this conversation and he decided you deserve to know it all because you will be working with him and, more importantly..."

"Mol, you are an adult and I know you love me as much as I love you." With Brian's moral support Justin started talking. "You know what a loser Dad is. Through his crooked dealings I learned anyone should be able to make a life for themselves. I soon figured out the best way to slip in and out. It started with lifting a pair of earrings or a watch. Then I saw a painting that was small and easy to lift."

"Justin! You were a thief?" Molly sounded intrigued, not upset. 

"He was one of the best," Brian said proudly. "When he told me the basics a while back, I put my skills to work. Not only was Justin never arrested, he was never on the radar."

"I didn't know you did that?" Justin jabbed him in the ribs. "You didn't trust me?"

"No. I was just making sure no one had an old tracker on you."

"Ah, that's sweet," Molly said.

Justin went on, and told her by the time he set up the trust, using money from his ill gotten gains, he had started making good money with investments and his art, and was only taking items to return them to their rightful owners and for those that could afford it, they gave him a finders fee. "So, Molly, do you still want to work with me?"

"My brother is Robin Hood. Of course I want to be in on it." 

"I'm so glad! Now I need to get ready to go to dinner. It is nothing fancy but I have been sweating most of the day, both physically and mentally. We will leave in an hour."

"I'll come along and wash your back," Brian said, standing up.

"Just remember you said an hour. I am going to get out of my travel clothes, too."       

 

By the end of the evening, Angie and Cap were in love with Molly, and Molly felt right at home with them. As they were getting ready to leave, Angie said, "You know, Molly, if you decide to stay here, I could probably use your help in the store. Justin said you will have busy spots at the Scholarship trust, but in the slow season maybe you could come work at the shop. I like to try my hand at making some lunch items for our menu."

"I would love that. I make great brownies and have a couple other bars I like to make, too. I'm hoping my artistic bro will let me help with the marketing. I love the branding, but now it is time for promotion."

"Come on, bossy. We will all be up early tomorrow," Justin said as he stood.        

After a round of goodbyes, they all agreed they would see each other at 6:00 a.m., as Brian, Justin, and Molly drove away.

 

At 3:00 a.m. Justin crept out of bed and went down to the shop. He looked at a couple items he just wasn't sure about and then went over to the coffee bar. He got hot water out of the dispenser and made a cup of tea. Sitting on one of the loveseats, he let everything soak in. 

"I thought I'd find you here. Couldn't sleep?" Brian asked, sitting down next to him.

"No. Nerves I guess. Can I get you a cup of tea?"

"No thanks. This from a guy who breaks into places for a living."

"Not anymore. I am legitimate now." He moved a hand out in front of him.

"Whatever happened with the text you got a while back? Sorry, I can't even remember when it was."

"I was sent the basic details and I've glanced at it, but I have been a little busy."

"The fact that you are thinking about it means something about it has your interest."

"I keep telling myself I don't need that anymore. I mean I am already running two businesses, and I will have a third tomorrow. Why do I keep thinking about the possibility of doing this job?"

"Because it is part of you. Art is a part of you. Helping students better themselves with less to worry about. That is part of your heart. I think your adventures touch a whole other part of you. He reached over and ran his hand down to Justin's crotch. "And I have been excited to be a part of the private adventures."

"I think it is only good luck for us to christen the new store, don't you?"

"Happy to oblige," Brian said, taking the mug from Justin's hand as he laid him down. 

 

Brian and Justin had gone back upstairs after making love and both got a little bit more sleep. By 6:00 they were downstairs along with Molly and Angie, even Cap was there. When the doors opened at 7:00, there was an eclectic line of people waiting. Most were there for coffee and pastry, but many of them wandered the shop and before the end of the day two of the art classes he was offering in the next month were full and the third only had a few spots left.

When 5:00 rolled around and they locked the doors, Brian invited Angie and Cap to join them for dinner but Angie declined. Cap had left about noon. There wasn't much for him to do and he still needed extra rest when he could get it. Angie would be back the next morning, and Molly, along with a college student they had hired, would be there to do it all over again.

Brian ordered a pizza and Molly grabbed beer and wine out of the fridge and the three of them sat around the coffee table in the living room. They were all quiet as they ate. None of them had eaten much all day so the pizza disappeared quickly.  

Brian finally broke the silence as he stretched out on the sofa. "Did you have a chance to track numbers at all today? Was it as good a day as it seems?"

"We had a great first day. I sold more art supplies than I thought I would. I had people asking for some specific types of classes, which have given me more ideas. I think I will look for more artists who might be willing to do some demonstrations. I feel really good."

"It was a lot of fun. I like getting to know the neighborhood people. It might be a great way for me to make friends." Molly stretched out on the floor.

"I know we are all tired and this might not be the best time to bring this up, but why not," Justin said as he took a deep breath. "I feel like this is a new beginning in a lot of ways. We have our new place finished. The new shop is open. Molly is here and is going to be here full time very soon. I guess I feel we are family and partners, and I have a question to ask.

"You have me curious now," Molly said, sitting up. "Spill!"

Justin brushed Brian's legs off the sofa and sat down next to him. "I have been notified about an item that needs to be returned to its rightful owner, but I will need help with the preparation. Are you both in?"

Molly instantly responded with yes. "I have needed some excitement in my life!"

Brian smiled and kissed him as he ensconced him in his arms. "Of course, I'm in. I've caught my thief, and I will never let you go."

 

The End

 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked To Catch a Thief (and never let him go) also liked 299 other stories.