- Text Size +

 

 

At the beginning of February, I could proudly say I was done with the portrait.

It was my best work so far.

I called Steven in the afternoon, letting him know the President’s portrait was done. Surprisingly, he hadn’t pestered me with questions during the process, like he usually did. I emailed him a picture, knowing he wanted to see it, then told him that I would like to deliver it in person. Steven accepted my offer.

The upside of having my agent’s residence in Los Angeles was him not interfering with me interacting directly with the clients and delivering the painting myself.

While I heated some leftover lasagna from Debbie, I typed Brian a message.

You have some free time this upcoming weekend?

No

Aww…I’ve got something of yours =)

Did you find my sock? =))

Dork! No! It’s probably been abducted by the aliens. Guess again.

Hmm…your ass is mine…

Guess again…

I’m out of ideas =)

Here’s a hint: the reason we met.

Your talent?

You’re close.

The phone rang in my hand, as I opened the microwave oven’s door. It took skill not to drop the plate.

“Hey, Eagle,” I greeted him teasingly.

“You finished it,” Brian said exuberantly.

“Yep. It’s gorgeous. You should see it.”

“Hold on.” His muffled voice called for his secretary, and I heard him trying to clear his schedule for the entire weekend. Then he was telling someone to come get me. “I hope you don’t have plans tonight, because I sent Ben to get you.”

“Ugh. You know how much I love Ben.”

“Drew is still out of commission since he visited your friend and got the flu. I have him quarantined.”

“Poor guy.” I laughed. “Though, Emmett was really sick and he wanted Drew…It’s my fault for begging you to send him.”

“He’d have gone anyway. I’ve never seen Drew so smitten.”

“Same goes for Emmett,” I whispered. “Same goes for me,” I added.

“What? You’re smitten with my security?” he laughed, making me groan.

“I’m smitten with you, Mr. President,” I blurted out, turning red.

There was a long pause. I knew he didn’t do feelings, but I had to let him know how I felt. All my insecurities coming alive now that the painting was complete.

“I’m quite smitten with you, too,” he said quietly. “I’ll see you soon. Be nice to Ben.”

“If he is nice to me too,” I joked.

.

.

.

I wrapped up the portrait, getting it ready for the trip, before pulling my bag from the closet. Since this whole thing with Brian started, I had a bag prepared on stand-by. I never knew when I might end up with one of his goonies on my doorstep to whisk me away. It had happened a few times.

When the doorbell rang, I rushed to open, wondering with what Ben had traveled. About forty-five minutes had passed since I had talked to Brian.

It wasn’t Ben on my doorstep.

Michael had a huge smile on his face, clutching a letter.

“Hey, Mike. I’m in a bit of a rush…”

“You wouldn’t believe it! Do you remember that guy you made a painting for? He was some big director from Hollywood who promised us to turn our comic into a movie.”

“It’s water under the bridge…” I went back to my room, with him following.

“He contacted me, saying one of his friends who has a press company would help us revive the comic. Please tell me you want it.”

“Rage was a fantasy of mine…I doubt I can revive a fantasy.”

Michael pulled out of his pocket a rolled issue of our comic. “Look!” He pointed to the main character. “Who does he look like?”

“My fantasy guy?” I frowned.

Michael groaned. “He looks like President Kinney. Just look, Justin. Think about it…”

My eyes moved from Rage’s features to Michael’s pleading eyes. I could see what he meant, but Rage was a part of my life I had left behind once college ended.

“I have a career now…as a painter. I’ll have to talk to my agent about this, you know?” I asked.

I heard keys turning in the lock, making me insanely angry. I stormed down the stairs.

Ben was in my living room, spare keys in hand.

I snatched them from his hand, shaking them in his face. “These are Brian's! I doubt he gave them to you to sneak up on me.”

“Hello to you too, Mr. Taylor,” he said unperturbed. “I knocked, but you didn’t answer.”

“I was upstairs.”

Ben looked up, his eyes growing wide and his pupils getting slightly dilated.

I turned to see what grabbed his attention. Michael was coming down the stairs, comic book in hand, wearing his Batman t-shirt, and hair mussed up from running his fingers through it.

I side-eyed Ben, completely taken with Michael, then noticed Michael checking out Ben, as well.

To my complete shock, Ben smiled, offering Michael his hand. “I don’t think we’ve been formally introduced. Ben Bruckner.”

“Mi-mich-ael Novotny.”

“A pleasure meeting you, sir.” Ben glanced my way, eyes narrowed. “Where did you keep him locked up?”

“Uh…?” I was too surprised to think coherently. Did everyone around Brian have to be gay? And Ben interested in little, mousy Michael? I leaned into the back of the couch for leverage.

They kept staring at each other like they were fucking without actually doing it.

I hated breaking the miracle of Ben showing he had a heart.

I walked closer, pinching his arm, making him yelp and glare at me. I smiled, pointing to my room upstairs. “Help me with the painting. Be careful! I’ll kill you slowly if you tear it.”

I was about to go after him and get my bag, when Michael stopped me. “Why are you surrounded by the hottest men?”

“You should ask Brian that. Ben’s his man. And he’s not usually so nice.”

Ben returned with my bag on his shoulder and the painting under his arm. “Ready, Mr. Taylor?”

“Yeah.” I pushed Michael out of my apartment. As I locked up, I was aware of them exchanging numbers.

Brian would probably kill me for turning his tough bear of a security man into a cute, little cub.

Outside, while Ben stored my things in the back of the Caddy, I turned to Michael, who was craning his neck to check Ben’s ass.

“Shoot me up with ideas for Rage. I’m not promising anything, but we can see if it goes anywhere.” I shrugged.

“You’re amazing, you know that?” He squealed, hugging me.

“I have my moments. Now let me go, before Big and Bulky squishes me like a bug.”

Ben feigned hurt. “I’d never.”

I huffed. “Only because you respect Brian too much, or I’d have been long dead.”

He waved to Michael, getting behind the wheel.

I got in the passenger seat, throwing him a look. He refused to meet my eyes. It amused me to no end.

“Nerds are my weakness,” Ben admitted after a long while.

“I figured. Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.”

“We’re driving. So you have time to tell me all about Michael.”

It was going to be a long ride.