- Text Size +

 

 

When we touched down on American soil, I couldn’t have been happier to be back home. I said my goodbye to Brian in the plane, before Drew whisked me away to the usual black Caddy. He was my designated driver.

“Think you can turn off the radio?” I asked, relaxing in the passenger seat.

“Tired?”

Our last stop had been Turkey, which was fucking far away. I had been on the longest plane ride ever and I was ready to drop. We hadn’t slept much, preferring to perfect the plan about when Brian would come out.

I hated doing this to him, but it was clear we couldn’t keep the relationship hidden.

Brian even shrugged to my question about people not voting for him anymore when they found out he was gay. He was ready to show everyone who he really was.

I dozed off during the car ride to Pittsburgh and dreamed of a parallel world where Brian and I were two simple people meeting at Babylon.

“We’re here,” Drew said softly, shaking my shoulder.

I closed my mouth, aware I might have drooled in my sleep. Blinking, I noticed the entrance of my building to my right.

We hadn’t decided when I might move in the house Brian had bought, but it was clear that I had to get used to the idea of saying goodbye to my condo. And to my friends. I closed my eyes as tears gathered, ready to spill.

Drew pulled out my bags, which had multiplied because Brian insisted I buy whatever I wanted during our trip. I walked ahead of Drew, jingling my keys on my little finger.

“Stop,” he hissed when we reached my landing.

I turned to him, but froze when I saw his gun out. He put a finger to his lips, pointing to dim light spilling from under my front door.

Holy fuck.

“Unlock it slowly and step aside,” he instructed in a hushed voice.

It took me twice the time to do the task due to nerves. I couldn’t believe that my condo was broken in. This was a safe neighborhood.

When Drew shouldered the door open with his right arm extended in front of him, more light flooded from the inside as several voices shouted “Surprise!”

Too soon the excited voices turned hysterical.

I pushed inside past a stunned Drew to find Emmett, Michael, Debbie, and Daphne at the bottom of the stairs.

“Wanna put that down, baby?” Emmett asked tentatively.

Drew pulled the safety of his gun, pushing it pack in the holster. “You’re all idiots.”

“How did you get in here?” I couldn’t remember giving any of them a copy of the new keys set.

“Your mom was generous to lend us her key when she heard we wanted to surprise you,” Daphne explained. “Can’t say this wasn’t a real surprise, huh? It’s not every day when you’re at gun point.”

Justin chucked. “Sorry. We’re a little tense after everything.”

“I wouldn’t come to the diner any time soon if I were you,” Debbie said quietly.

“So everyone knows?” Justin mumbled.

“Only people who don’t know you might buy the whole photographer story,” Emmett quipped up. He went to Drew’s side, kissing him. “We didn’t think—”

“It’s not your fault,” Drew said. “You should be glad it was me and not Ben.”

I froze during my hug with Daphne. I couldn’t even think of what Ben would have done were he in Drew’s place.

“Speaking of…Is there any chance he’ll come by?” Michael wondered.

I scrubbed at the back of my head. “I have to tell you guys something.”

“I’ll bring in your bags,” Drew offered, disappearing out the door.

“What’s wrong, Sunshine? Don’t tell me Mr. High and Mighty dumped you over this scandal,” Debbie cried out, hands on her hips.

I fought a smile. “Nothing like that…Actually, Brian asked me to…” I gulped, looking away as tears pooled into my eyes. “Brian bought a house and he wants me to move in there. I said yes.”

“Oh, baby,” Emmett wailed, rushing to my side and hugging me tightly.

“It’s not like you’ll live together. What does this mean? Are you his kept boy?” Debbie demanded.

I blushed furiously. “No, Deb. It’s the only way we can be together. It’s not like I could move into the White House.”

“I’m glad Brian decided on the house,” Drew commented, returning with the last of the bags. “Only Ben and I know how many times we told him bringing you to the White House was a terrible idea.”

“I’m glad you talked sense into him.” I returned his smile.

“Wait. This means I won’t see you anymore?” Emmett pouted, going to Drew and hugging him tightly.

“You’ll visit me…and you’ll be able to see Drew. Same goes for you, Michael.” I put an arm around Daphne’s shoulder. “I promise to visit too.”

“When are you moving?” She asked.

“Soon. We haven’t set a date yet, but the sooner the better.”

I insisted for Drew to stay long enough to sample the goodies Debbie had made, but then he excused himself, saying he had to go. Emmett followed him outside and didn’t return for a good fifteen minutes.

I told them about what I had visited and shown them some of the things I had bought, but a couple hours later they got the hint that I was dead on my feet.

Michael lingered, helping me clean up, for which I was grateful.

“Oh, wait until you see it.” I went to my satchel, pulling out two sketchpads. “I was inspired during the plane rides and this happened. If you can work with it and create a story line…I wrote some things too, but you know I’m shit at story-telling.”

“Whoa!” Michael perked up, sifting through the drawings. “This is pretty amazing.”

I shrugged. “I guess Brian reminds me of Rage, like you said. I had the source of inspiration close.”

Michael laughed. “Can I take these?”

“Sure. If you need more or anything changed, let me know.” I walked him to the front door. “And I mean it. You’re welcome to visit.”

“It would be weird not having you around.”

“Believe me, I know. I won’t know anyone there, and I doubt Brian would be able to be with me that often. I’ll need company.”

“Count me in.” Michael winked. “See you, Justin.”

After I locked up, I went upstairs and fell face first on the bed. My phone ringing woke me up.

I noticed my phone was on the bed next to me though I had no recollection of dropping it there. Bright light coming through my window made me squint at the screen. It was an unknown number.

“Hello,” I answered warily, ready to hang up if it was one of my new adoring fans.

“About time you decided to pick up.”

“Brian?” I tried making my brain work.

“This phone is Ben-approved. Did I wake you?”

“Yeah.”

“Not very eloquent this morning, Painter Boy.”

“I slept for like twelve hours…and I’m still tired.” I rolled around in bed, tugging the pillow over my head.

“I had a meeting with Theodore and Blake when we got to the White House, then I went over to Lindsay’s when she demanded that Gus missed me, and I got back around ten at night. I had to wake up before eight and have breakfast with a senator. Now I’m getting ready for a press conference. Am I boring you?”

“I’m falling back asleep,” I admitted.

“Fine. Save this number. I’ll talk to you later when you’re awake,” Brian scoffed, hanging up.

“Sorry,” I said to no one in particular, closing my eyes.

.

.

.

Several hours later, I woke up. I was vaguely aware of a phone call from Brian, but that was impossible. We had the email for that.

Though, a look at my phone showed me an accepted call from a strange number around noon time. It was close to four in the afternoon at the moment.

I must have been really tired to sleep for so long.

I also noticed a text message from my mother.

After a shower, I decided to call Mom and meet for dinner if she could. I hadn’t seen her or Molly in too long.

“Hey Mom,” I said in greeting when the call connected.

“Honey! How are you?”

“Good…” I sat on the edge of the bed, looking around my bedroom. Soon, I would have to put this behind and move on. “Busy tonight? I was thinking of taking you out for dinner.”

“How can I refuse such an invitation? Though, do you mind if I bring your sister? Tucker is gone with his group of bikers for the weekends.”

I rolled my eyes at hearing about mom’s young boyfriend. “Sure. I miss Mollusk.”

“The usual restaurant?” Mom asked.

“Yeah. Around six, okay?”

“Perfect. See you there, sweetie.”

After hanging up, I saved the unknown number as BK, then dialed it. When I was ready to hang up, thinking I had imagined the whole conversation with Brian and the number was a scam, Brian's soft voice answered.

“If the Sleeping Beauty hasn’t awakened at last!”

I scoffed. “You kept me up the night before and I can’t say I slept much during the plane ride.”

“Yeah, you were more preoccupied with drawing your superhero.”

“I was inspired. Anyway, how come you are allowed a phone?”

“My security understood that I needed a fast way to communicate with you, because the email is anything but fast. Especially when you’re at the receiving end.”

“Hey! I’m an artist. I don’t have time to check my email every five minutes,” I defended myself. “So how are you?”

“Done for the day. I’m in my room with Bruce.”

“Nice. I should get ready. I’m having dinner with my mom. I plan on telling her about moving.”

Brian sighed heavily. “I’m really sorry to put you in this position, but should I remind you that I’m a selfish person?”

“Don’t worry, because I’d rather be there with you than miles away. Especially after this trip…I won’t be able to live without you.”

“More traveling is coming up soon but by then I hope to have our relationship out in the open. I’m still talking to Blake how should we proceed for everything to go as smoothly as possible.”

“Any ideas? What happened to a press conference on the lawn where they could see us walking around?” I asked.

“Blake dismissed that British royalty bullshit the second I said it.” Brian laughed.

“It had its flaw, but it was a good idea,” I admitted.

“Anyway, I was thinking to accept the invitation to Carnegie.”

“Oh.” I had no idea about that.

“Yeah, they heard I recently purchased a painting from one of their former students and they wanted—” 

“Are you making this shit up?”

“Actually, no. There was this official letter waiting for me on my desk. It caught my eye because it said Pittsburgh.”

“And you’re going to talk to them about me?”

“Who said this was about you?” he teased.

“Stop being an ass, Brian.”

“Such a way to talk to the President.”

I groaned, not in the mood for a silly banter. “When are you coming over?”

“Next week. I’m waiting for their reply. I suggested Wednesday.”

I took a shuddering breath. “Think we could leave together? And go…home?”

“That’s up to you and if you’re ready to leave your hometown so fast. If you want that, I can clear off the rest of my week so I can be with you home,” he said quietly.

“Let me know what they answer.”

“Good luck with your mom.”

Little did I know that I needed more than luck for my conversation with Mom.