- Text Size +

 

 

Later that night we were naked in my bed, sharing a cigarette, scrolling through the news. The outcome varied. It was to be expected the Republicans wanted the cocksucker impeached. Some magazines had short articles posted promising details in the morning. Most of the gay magazines applauded Brian and were proud of his courage to come out while being the President of the USA. But even a few gay magazines criticized him.

Brian closed the lid of my laptop while I was raging about Out’s article. I used to like that magazine. They called Brian bad names, ending with #notmyPresident

“Forget it.” He placed the laptop on the nightstand.

“Your phone has been ringing nonstop ever since your speech,” I reminded him.

“It’s out of battery now.”

“Do you think that will stop them? Brian, when we get to DC…”

“I don’t want to see anyone until Monday. No one will disturb us.”

I wanted to believe him, but I had a bad feeling that he would be summoned to the White House when we arrived. I wasn’t ready to spend my first night in our house alone.

“If they can’t live without me there, you’re coming with me,” he said, as if reading my mind.

I rolled around, guilt eating at my gut. What if our decision destroyed his career?

Brian spooned me, kissing that spot behind my ear, making me shiver. “I love you, Justin.”

My eyes opened wide. I turned to face him, then I kissed him passionately. “I love you, Brian,” I whispered against his lips when we separated.

.

.

.

In the morning, I woke up alone once again.

When I arrived downstairs, the boxes were gone. Brian was at the window, his phone pressed to his ear, whispering hotly that he wanted to sue someone or another.

I felt like barfing as I shuffled to the kitchen. I couldn’t find any cup or glass. Brian had sent everything with the other stuff. I wanted coffee.

“Hey you.” Brian caught me around the waist, kissing my neck.

He was awfully affectionate, but this was him. I had grown used to it during our trip.

“Hey,” I mumbled.

“No good morning kiss?” He pouted.

“I haven’t brushed my teeth. Someone stole my toothbrush. I don’t even have coffee.”

“I wanted everything sent before we left. Come on, we’ll stop by somewhere to get coffee. There should be chewing gum in the plane.”

After the coming out show at Carnegie, we had gone to Debbie’s house where a small farewell party had been held. It had been a surprise orchestrated by Brian and Michael. I had no idea when they had become best friends and a scary duo at that.

So today we were leaving. No stopping for other goodbyes.

I put on a band t-shirt and my trusty khakis, the only things I had saved from being shipped with the boxes. I had a small bag with some clothes and necessities. Sadly no spare toothbrush.

At the front door of my building, I groaned loudly at the party awaiting us.

“Put your shades on your nose, and don’t mind them.”

Drew and Ben were on the other side of the door. They shouldered their way through the paparazzi, loading us safely in the back of the Cadillac.

“I feel like a celebrity,” Brian joked.

“I feel like having an aneurysm,” Ben grunted. “No offense, Justin, but it was much easier when I discreetly brought escorts to Brian’s room.”

“Oh, live a little!” Brian scoffed. “We need to stop for coffee somewhere.”

No one answered, but we stopped in front of my favorite doughnut house, I wanted to hug Ben. Drew demanded for us to stay put as he went to get coffee and food.

On the way to the airport, I focused on my coffee and doughnut, while Brian sipped from his mocha and scrolled through the headlines. He snorted out at some point.

“This is a good one. Hear this: Would Mr. Taylor become the First Gentleman now? Or this: The White House has seen a lot. All we need now is a Female President. Voting for Hilary Clinton anyone?

“Glad this whole thing amuses you,” I mumbled.

“Oh, come on Justin. If we don’t laugh louder than them – they won.”

“First Gentleman,” Drew commented, slightly amused.

Brian clicked on that headline. “Oh, look! They already have us married with three point five kids. How sweet.” He rolled his eyes.

“Well, same sex marriages are allowed all over the country,” Ben said.

“I’m aware,” Brian said tersely. “I fought for that vote.”

I plucked the phone from Brian’s hand. “What did you tell me last night?”

“Up for one more?”

I hoped Ben and Drew weren’t paying close attention, but when they laughed, I blushed lightly. “Forget about it.”

Brian slid closer, stealing a kiss. “I have to know what to expect when I get back. I’ve dodged Blake’s calls, but I’m afraid he’ll install himself in the guest bedroom if I don’t answer him soon.”

“After take-off,” Ben suggested. “Up for one more?” he joked, stepping out of the car.

“He’s funny,” Brian said to no one in particular.

We were ushered into the plane with just a few photos taken and a lot of questions shouted at us – left unanswered.

.

.

.

“You’re unusually quiet. Are you alright?” Ben came to sit across from me.

From the moment we had been up in the air, Brian had his phone out and was pacing up and down the aisle.

I kept my eyes out the window, fiddling with one of the safe belt’s ends.

“Justin?” Ben insisted, leaning his elbows on his knees.

I glanced at him. “What if we made a huge mistake?”

“Let me tell you a story about how close to outing himself Brian was one time. It happened toward the end of his first year in the White House.”

I nodded to show I was listening.

“He was at a private party. The senators had brought over escorts to entertain them.”

“Females,” I said, realizing why Ben was cringing.

“Yes. Brian kept fetching the young man who was there to refill their empty glasses. At some point, one of the senators joked that Brian seemed to favor their waiter more than the girls. Brian said that the boy was far more entertaining. Of course, the drunken men didn’t catch the not so subtle look Brian had thrown the waiter. That’s when I knew for sure he was queer. I had my guesses before, but I thought my radar was broken.”

I chuckled. “Didn’t you say you knew Brian from when he was a mere candidate?”

“The subject of our sexual preference never came up,” Ben said seriously, but there was a twinkling in his eyes. “When we left the party, I pulled Brian aside, asking if he’d like me to arrange a private meeting for him and the waiter. I had never seen Brian as pale as in that moment. I told him it was natural and I understood him. He accepted my offer.”

“Did you discuss it further?”

“Some days later when we were traveling, he asked me how did I know.”

“I found it so odd and funny when I found out that not only Brian was gay, but his top security services men were gay too.”

Ben squared his shoulders, straightening in the chair, looking somewhere behind me. “As we all know, our sexuality doesn’t define who we are or what we do.”

I jumped a mile when a hand clamped on my shoulder. I looked up to see a sheepish looking Brian.

“Sorry to startle you. Can we have a word?” I made to stand up, no idea where he was taking me. Brian kept me in my seat. “Ben,” he added.

I was aware my cheeks were burning in embarrassment as I glared out the window. I could hear Brian arguing with Ben and Drew from somewhere behind me. This plane was not as big as Air Force One and there was no place to hide.

Not long later we landed. I was given a black cap to keep over my eyes as we walked to the car.

“So what’s the plan?” I asked, once we were alone in the backseat.

“I’m afraid I have to go to the White House. I know I told you to come with me, but it’s up to you…”

“People already know.” I shrugged.

“The news will eventually die.” He wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

“Until we’re yesterday’s news…we have a long way to go.”

I kept my head on his shoulder all the way to the White House. There used to be a time I was thrilled about my next visit to that place. At the moment, I was dreading our arrival.

“What the fuck?” Brian snapped when we approached his home.

“Protesters,” Drew said tersely as the car drove slowly through the masses shouting.

Brian hugged me tighter, kissing my head. “I’m all for giving them a show.”

“Blake might kill you,” Ben said seriously.

“Take us to the underground parking,” Brian demanded.

Ben spun the car toward the door leading to the underground garage once we were through the gates.

We walked to an elevator flanked by Ben and Drew. This building was supposed to be one of the safest out there. Though, all those movies had to have a root of truth somewhere. Ben and Drew were our shadows until we reached the West Wing.

I was too afraid to speak up and tell Brian that I would rather hide in his room.

No less than five people ambushed Brian when he rounded a corner. He kept them at a safe distance through a fierce glare, but they become our shadow, trailing after Ben and Drew. Near the door of his office, Blake strode toward us.

“Inside,” Brian muttered, strolling through the open door.

I scurried after him, avoiding the Marine at the door. His eyes were judging.

Blake slammed the door shut, making me jump. “I’d like a word in private with you.”

“Whatever you want to tell me, Justin can hear it as well.” Brian opened his laptop, then turned on the TV. “I want them gone.” He pointed to the crowd outside the gates.

Blake snapped his fingers. “Ooops. My magic is all dried off.”

“That’s something only Schmidt would say.”

“So now I’m not capable of making dry jokes?”

Brian spun to him, finger pointing. “Do you think I’m blind? I’m well aware of your relationship with my Vice President. It’s your goddamn job to keep this insanity from escalating any further.”

“But you took us all by surprise yesterday.”

“If you’d have listened to me when I told you that I’m going to show America who I am when I went to Pittsburgh…” Brian huffed. “Besides, we talked about it.”

“I never thought you’d do it. Remember, you had another desire to let everyone know about—”

That was news to me, so I perked up from my seat on one of the sofas.

Brian waved his hand through the air sharply. “We had both agreed that it would be a too great shock for the people to hear gay marriages were legalized and that their President was gay.”

Oh, it made sense, I figured.

“And now not only did you come out, you showed the whole country who you’re dating. Do you realize this guy won’t be able to show his face in a corner store without three armed security services at his side?” Blake pointed at me.

My heart constricted. I hadn’t thought about that, but he was right.

Brian met my eyes, and I could detect a hint of regret and sadness. His eyes moved to the TV. “If they’re not gone by morning, have them bodily removed. I have done nothing to offend their sensibilities.”

Blake walked backwards, muttering something under his breath, before he disappeared through the door.

Brian went to the door, exchanged a few words with the Marine stationed there, then returned inside. He paced for a few minutes then came to sit next to me.

“So no corner store shopping in the near future,” I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

There was a knock on the door, then two men stepped inside. One was tall and full of muscles, reminding me of The Rock, while the other was around Brian's height but more fit. He was also older than other Secret Service guys I had seen.

“Sir, you wanted to see us?” The first one spoke in a deep voice.

“Yes.” Brian took my hand, bringing me up to my feet. “Justin, please meet Hank and Thomas.”

They offered out their hands to shake mine, while I returned the handshake a little bemused.

“You’ll work closely with Matt in taking care of Justin.”

“Brian,” I protested, finally catching up what he was doing.

“Shush,” he hissed. “Ben will run you over the fine details of what this job entails, but let me make one thing clear: a single hair on his head is harmed, and you’ll wish you were back in the desert held prisoner by the Talibans.”

This was ridiculous.

Brian spun to me. “And if I hear you disobeyed them, you’ll be in heaps of trouble. I won’t be able to run the fucking country while worrying about you weaseling your way out of the security’s hands.”

“It happened once. And I had the security with me,” I reminded him.

“Don’t worry. None of them are going to repeat Drew’s mistake.”

I folded my arms across my chest, feeling like the berated child. I knew that I would get my own security, but not so soon, not so strict. Blake was right. The plan was faulty – people knew who I was. In fact, they knew everything about me.

“Hank, please escort Justin to my room.” Brian touched my elbow. “I’ll be there in less than an hour.”

I touched his hand, smiling. “How about you take your time then meet me at home?” I stressed the last word.

Brian nodded. “There’s a set of keys in my room. Please, do have a talk with Ben before you take Justin anywhere.” He kissed my cheek. “See you later.”

I left the Oval Office with my new shadows in tow.

“I’ll find Ben. You take him to Mr. Kinney’s room?” The one who I thought to be Hank asked.

“Sure,” came the curt reply of Thomas.

As I trailed along the fifty-something years old security man, I avoided all the long stares. When we reached the other side of the house, nearing Brian's room, I got enough courage to talk.

“So you’re Thomas, did I get it right?”

“I’m Hank actually. Here you are, sir.”

I had a feeling these guys wouldn’t be as friendly as Ben and Drew. But then again Ben wasn’t that friendly in the beginning, only after he found out I had a friend named Michael who he wanted to bone.

I didn’t linger in Brian's room. I took the spare keys for the house, then followed Hank out. He took me to a room where Ben was sitting at the head of a table. Matt and Thomas were there, so were several others I didn’t know.

“Christ. Why did you have to bring him in here? We’re going to discuss any scenario and we don’t want Mr. Taylor scared,” Ben chided Hank. “Sit.” He pointed him to an empty chair.

Ben escorted me out of the room. It made me feel more and more like I didn’t belong there. Ben kept a hand on my back as he walked purposely.

“Remember our conversation on the plane? I’m certain we’ve made a mistake.” I played with the keys in my hand, avoiding eye-contact.

“Stop worrying and allow us to do our job. You’ll be able to have the life you want if you listen to us.”

“Where are you taking me?”

Ben opened a door. “This is my office. Don’t touch anything. Just stay put and Matt will be here to get you when we’re done.”

“I could wait in Brian's room,” I offered.

Ben shot me a look that made me slump in his plush chair, head tucked into my chest. The door shut behind him.

I looked around, determined to ease my nerves and get used to this.

Ben’s desk was empty spare a computer, a landline phone, and his gun. My eyes stayed on his gun for a long time, before I got up from the chair and looked around the office. There were no pictures, though there were several awards on display. I stopped at a particular one, my eyes bugging out. He had the Purple Heart.

What terrible things had led to him achieving such glory?

Was Brian the one to hand it to him?