- Text Size +

 

 

The following morning, I called my mother after breakfast with Brian on the patio. He had to abandon me halfway through our meal when Ted demanded his presence in the meeting he had scheduled for nine o’clock.

We hadn’t slept much.

The rescue team had saved us around ten at night, and by the time we arrived at the White House and with the whole debacle that waited for us, it was past three in the morning when we had fallen asleep.

“Justin, honey,” Mom cried in relief when the call connected. “I’ve been worried sick.”

I hadn’t spoken to her in almost half a year, and I would lie if I said I hadn’t missed her. Us, speaking again, could have happened under different circumstances.

“Hello, Mom,” I said in greeting.

“Oh, honey! Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

“No…just feeling stuffed up. We might have gotten a cold out of this adventure.” I sipped from my coffee, watching as Bruce did laps of the lawn, enjoying the snow.

“All I could think was all the awful things I said to you. I’m so sorry, Justin.”

“Have you changed your mind about how you feel regarding our relationship?” I had to know if I could entertain any ray of hope in her ever accepting me.

“Molly was so upset about how you left that day, she didn’t talk to me for weeks.”

I was aware of that. I had convinced my sister to forgive our mother for not knowing better.

“I was so wrong, Justin. President Kinney must love you a lot for how he came out, then I had to find out from the TV that my son got married. I was showing a potential customer the TV was working in the apartment he wanted to buy, when I saw you and the President telling the whole world you got married.” Her scandalized voice made me laugh.

“The invitation must have gotten lost in the mail,” I mumbled.

“Oh, Justin. Can you ever forgive me?” She sounded heartbroken.

I ran a hand through my hair, leaning back on the legs of the chair. “Let me talk to Brian, but clear your schedule, just in case. We wanted to bring our friends to Camp David for Christmas,” I said slowly.

“You want me there,” she gasped.

“Well, didn’t you just say you missed me and you wanted to beg for forgiveness to both of us?”

“Did you tell him what I said?”

“I don’t keep secrets from my husband,” I muttered, leaning across the table to grab Brian's abandoned cigarettes. “Listen, I’ll let you know what we decide. I have to get ready. I have somewhere to be.”

It wasn’t exactly a lie. I had promised Lindsay to volunteer at handing gifts to children at an orphanage.

Brian had joked that I took my role as the dotting wife too seriously. But it was my pleasure to help the children, to make them happy. I loved charity work, because I knew the ones at the receiving end didn’t have any expectations.

“Of course. Take care, honey.”

After we hung up, I put the phone next to my plate. That was the moment I noticed the date on the small screen.

We were supposed to be in Aspen for five days tops, but we ended up being there for eight. I had completely missed my birthday, what with the battery dying.

I tried to remember how we spent day seven, which had been my birthday, but I came up blank. Our time stranded there blended in together making my head hurt.

I knew Brian was busy, but I had to share with him how we had failed to celebrate the day I was born.

What did we do on day 7? I just realized that was my birthday.

His reply came after I finished my cigarette, in form of an emoticon covering its mouth in horror.

The news of it being December twenty-third also meant I had completely missed the appointment at the orphanage. Which led to a long phone call with Lindsay where I apologized for not helping her, and she shushed me, saying all that mattered was Brian and I were safe.

After calling Daphne and Emmett too, I returned to our bedroom with Bruce.

I occupied my time with sketching the dog who had fallen asleep under the desk.

Brian came back in the early afternoon. He immediately took off his shirt, throwing it toward the hamper and missing by a foot. To my surprise, he didn’t pick it from where it had landed.

“I’m headed to the gym. Wanna join me?”

Something had upset him during his meeting, and he had to burn off some steam.

“Only if we hit the sauna after,” I said playfully.

He stopped from rummaging through his closet for a sweatshirt, and turned to stare at me in surprise.

“Raincheck. I just got a better partner.” He took the in-ear headphone out of his ear. “You better not be all talk no action, Painter Boy.”

“Shit.” I felt like a tool. “Who did you just cancel on? I’ll never get used to that ear piece.”

“Don’t worry. It’s just Ben, and he wasn’t in the mood to spot me, so you better live to my expectations.”

“Do you want me to spot you?” I cried out. “I’ll decapitate you with the heavy weighs.”

“And you were just back in Ben’s good graces,” he lamented.

“Brian, I’m serious.” I knew my strength, and I knew what Brian could lift. I had seen him and Ben at the gym. Hell, I touched and admired his muscled arms every chance I got.

“Get a move, Justin. We’re having dinner with Schmidt and Wyzecki at seven. Plenty of time for a work out and then a steamy sauna session.”

“I’m not spotting you,” I insisted, as I changed into work-out clothes.

“Anything you say, dear,” Brian joked, leaning closer to kiss me. He pulled away before I could open his lips, and even turned his head to the side. A moment later he sneezed four times in a row. “Fuck me. I’ve been sneezing the whole morning.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. And I feel stuffed up, we’re definitely coming down with something.” I rubbed his back soothingly.

We walked slowly to the gym, talking about my phone call to Mom. As we approached the stairs, an agent appeared from around a corner scaring the crap out of me.

Brian squeezed my fingers, as he rolled his eyes to the security man. “We’re going for a run in the gym.”

The man nodded, but followed us to the underground level.

I tried to keep up the conversation I was having with Brian, but I was aware of the man’s eyes on us.

When we stepped into the gym, Brian wriggled his fingers at the security man, closing the doors in his face. “Remind me why I didn’t fire Ben for good.”

“You mean that’s Ben’s idea? To have us followed even inside the house?” I gasped.

“We’re the delinquents, Justin. We have to be supervised so we don’t abandon ship while it sinks.”

I snorted, heading to the stationary bike.

Brian got on the treadmill after turning on the music on the audio system by the door.

“So…are we still on for the reunion with our friends at Camp David?” I asked curiously.

“I guess, unless Ben decides we shouldn’t leave the house for the foreseeable future.”

“He’s welcome to join us. Especially when we plan on bringing Michael.” I winked.

“Would you mind calling everyone to ask if they still want to come? I have a morning talk show and then around noon, I’m scheduled for the national television to wish everyone a happy Christmas and yada yada. Fuck,” he groaned. “I think I lost the speech they wrote for tomorrow.”

“Careful what you improvise.”

“I’ll ask for another. It’s fine.”

We lapsed in silence for a couple of songs.

“Can I ask Mom to come for Christmas?” I asked after overthinking this subject.

“Of course, Justin. I’d actually like to prove to her how much I love her son and that I’m willing to forgive her for hurting you.”

“And for saying you’ll be assassinated when everyone finds out you like dick,” I reminded him bitterly.

He smiled indulgently, stepping away from the treadmill. He came to me with his white towel hanging around his shoulders. He cupped the back of my head, bringing me closer so we could kiss.

“You look hot on the bike.”

I flushed as sparks of arousal coursed through my body.

His hand dropped to my bicep, squeezing it. “Let’s work those arms, too.”

I allowed him to pull me away, nerves making my stomach tiny.

“Lay down.” He pointed to the bench press.

Brian worked on taking away most of the heavy weighs, before he took the spot above my head. He lifted the barbell easily, and when I took it in my hands, I felt my weak muscles making my arms shake uncontrollably.

“Shit. I can’t.” I panicked when my right hand cramped up. As an aftermath of the bashing I had suffered from the worst homophobe in school, my right hand stopped cooperating when it got tired.

Brian immediately saved me, and crouched at my head, stroking my hair. “I didn’t think it would hurt your hand,” he apologized.

I sat up, running an end of the towel around my neck over my eyes to get rid of the unwanted tears. I felt like a failure in that moment.

“I hope you’re not crying,” Brian said gently.

I gritted my teeth together.

“Justin…” He came to my side, squeezed my shoulder and tilting my head with a finger under my chin. “It’s not your fault. You didn’t deserve what happened.”

I had sugar coated my story to him about my bashing. It wasn’t like I knew exactly what happened, because I couldn’t remember anything. But shortly after my confession to Brian, he had searched the internet about details.

“Let’s hit the sauna,” he suggested softly.

#

We ended up late for dinner, but Brian had managed to help me relax thoroughly.

After we repeated with details the story behind our time buried in snow in Aspen, we moved on to other topics, for which I was grateful. I knew we were going to have to retell the story several more times, but after putting aside my fears about what could have happened, the events leading to us getting stranded there became a boring subject.

We were waiting for dessert, enjoying the privacy of the secluded section of the select restaurant we were dining in, when I caught sight of Drew and Matt leaving their spots. Ben stood next to the large potted plant, his eyes focused in the direction the others had gone.

I wasn’t the only one to notice the activity from our security. Blake had a better view than me to the world outside out secluded spot.

“Mr. Taylor,” Matt said softly. “I apologize for interrupting. There is someone here who spotted you and insists he is a big fan of yours.”

Brian lifted a brow at me, pressing his tongue inside his cheek.

I shrugged, following Matt away from our group. I gasped in surprise at the person in front of me. It was one of my former acquaintances, who I had lost touched when he had moved out of Pittsburgh some years ago. Billy used to play the piano at most of my shows.

“Billy!” I hugged him tightly.

“Hi, Justin. Damn, you’re hard to get a hold of,” he joked.

I glanced at Matt, who was hovering. I knew he wasn’t likely to move away. “Well…you know…”

“Oh, you’re with him?”

Of course, the whole world knew who I had by my side.

I glanced behind my shoulder, but found Ben and Drew shoulder to shoulder blocking everyone’s view to our table.

“Uh, are you in town? Do you have a gig?”

“Working out the details for one. I was invited to play for a charity concert on New Year’s night,” Billy answered.

“If we’re in town, I’d love to come by,” I promised. “Here, type your number.” I handed him my phone.

I heard Matt clearing his throat, and met his eyes. He shook his head slowly.

“I’ll call you,” I told Billy. “It was great to see you.”

“You too, Justin.”

Once he departed, Matt held out his hand, wriggling his fingers.

“I’m entitled to have friends outside Brian's circle,” I spat.

He pressed his lips tightly, as I stepped around Ben and returned to my chair.

“Sorry about that. It was someone I used to know from Pittsburgh,” I explained.

Brian threw an arm around the back of my chair, continuing his conversation with Ted about the budget campaign. I idly wondered if he was capable to hold a conversation with Ted or anyone from his team that didn’t have to do with work. Especially when it was outside working hours.