- Text Size +

 

 

After shopping for Christmas with Emmett, I was exhausted. Though, a brief nap was all I needed to get my energy back.

I had managed to advance with my painting. Brian’s portrait looked amazing.

I was currently working on his hair. I had found a particular photo on the internet that made his hair look shiny and silky, exactly how I knew it was. So I used it to help me mix the colors.

The doorbell rang loudly, startling me. I wasn’t expecting anyone. 

Wiping my hands hastily on my dirty, paint covered clothes, I rushed to answer. I hoped it wasn’t Emmett with more shopping plans, or Daphne with cooking plans, or worse…carol singers.

It was neither of them. Just Big and Bulky looking worn-out.

“Hello, Mr. Taylor.”

“Ben! Hi.”

I had no idea why he was here. Brian was clearly busy with his son. I didn’t fit in that equation.

“Better get ready. Pack for a week or so.”

“What? Uh, come on in.” I gestured for him to step inside.

“Brian invited you to his house. Are you declining?” Ben raised a brow, amusement clear on his face.

“Sure. I mean, sure I’ll pack. You look tired,” I noted, retreating upstairs.

He followed me. “With the devil’s spawn around, even the dog is tired.”

“Does Brian know how you speak of his child?” I threw clothes in my duffle bag.

“He calls him that, so he must know better.” Ben cracked a smile.

I nearly dropped my toothbrush. He can smile. He’s human.

“Is that the painting?” Ben nodded to the easel.

I froze. “Shit. Uh, yeah. I was hoping to be done by the end of the year.”

“Brian won’t mind.”

“Do I have time for a quick shower? I stink.”

“Sure thing, sir. Take your time. I’ll wait in the car.”

Ben grabbed my bag and was halfway to the stairs, when I called after him. “Stop calling me sir. I’m just Justin.”

After the quickest shower ever, I got dressed, covered the portrait, then rushed downstairs. The Caddy was on idle.

I slid in the passenger seat, getting an odd look from Ben. Shit. I was used to riding up front with Drew.

“I could go in the back if you mind,” I offered.

“He might not mind, but I do. I’d get bored here.”

I whirled around to find Brian sprawled in the backseat, grinning at me. Not thinking clearly, and too excited to see him again, I climbed between the front seats, landing on top of him.

Ben snorted in laughter, while Brian gasped, before hugging me tightly. I crashed my lips to his, but he pulled away, glancing to his right, apprehensively. I followed his gaze, and my eyes widened.

There was a mini replica of Brian, dozing off.

“He’s so cute!”

“Don’t wake him.” He kept me on his lap as Ben started driving. “He appears to be the sweetest child, until he starts running. I grew ten white hairs in the span of three days.”

“Aww, poor baby.” I pressed my lips to his temple. “Is his mom busy?”

“She’s off to see fucking Madrid with her gir…partner.”

I frowned. “She has someone else? Isn’t that like cheating?”

“So this is cheating?” He kissed my lips softly. “We were never married. She’s my best friend. I helped her with Gus, because she wanted a child.”

“And couldn’t she find someone? A nice guy? Or was this strategy to get in the White House?”

“He’ll get along with Gus. Both ask too many questions,” Ben chuckled.

Brian sighed heavily. “I’ll tell you the whole story someday.”

It took me a few minutes to realize we weren't headed for the airport. I glanced at Brian to find him staring out the window, lost in thought.

I decided not to ask questions. I trusted him. Wherever he took me, I would go.

It still felt incredibly unreal. I was sort of, kind of, dating the President. I fucked him, well...he fucked me, but that was technicalities.

I felt his phone vibrating against his chest pocket—and my shoulder, before it started ringing. He extracted it swiftly, casting a worried look at his son, before answering.

“What, Jane?” He listened intently, groaning. “You've got to be kidding me. When did it happen?”

I saw Ben suddenly on alert, his eyes looking at Brian through the rearview mirror. They could talk through looks, because Ben nodded, swerving the car right on time to get the exit for the airport.

Brian pushed me so I slid between him and his son, as he brought out a mini laptop from his travel bag. He started clicking away, murmuring into the phone.

Something terrible was happening, and I could feel my limbs shaking.

“Yes, I can fucking see,” he snapped suddenly. “Give me all the details you have. I'll be back in less than an hour.” His voice was tense. “And...Jane, find out if...if Lindsay...” He swallowed thickly.

After hanging up, he kept his eyes on the laptop, clicking away.

“Sir?” Ben's voice startled me so bad, I jumped. “We're here.”

Brian put a hand on my knee, squeezing. “Tell Sam I need to get back, Ben. I'll wait here. Only I am going back. You are going home with Justin and Gus. And you'll guard them with your life.”

My stomach did somersaults.

Ben nodded, sliding out of the car, leaving us alone.

“What happened?” I had no idea how I could still talk.

“There's been an attack in Madrid. All I know is what I see on the news.”

Madrid. Attack. “Wait. Isn't there where Gus's mom is?”

“Yes,” he answered tensely. “Listen, Justin. I want you to listen to Ben. He'll take you to my house. I hope to make it there before Christmas, but no promises.”

“What about your son?” My mouth dried. “He'll be so scared to wake up and find you gone.”

Sighing heavily, Brian leaned over me, pulling Gus until the little boy was on his lap. The laptop was on my legs and the images I saw made my stomach turn.

God, I hated terrorists.

“Gus. Gus, you have to wake up, kiddo.” Brian stroked his head.

“Are we there yet?” The child mumbled, scrubbing his eyes and looking around. His eyes landed on me.

I offered him a small smile.

He burrowed into his father, searching his eyes.

“This is Justin. I told you we were going to get him from his home. There's a slight change of plans.”

“We're not going to the manor?”

“You are. You, Justin, and Ben. I have to go back.”

“I don't like Ben,” Gus mumbled.

“You already have something in common with Justin.” Brian snorted.

“Ben is scary,” Gus told me.

I nodded emphatically, ready to cling on any thread to befriend him.

“I will try to come home soon, but we discussed this. My job is...well, it's different than any other.”

“Daddy's got a super special job.”

“Exactly.” Brian smiled, kissing Gus's forehead.

There was a tap on the window. Brian rolled it down.

“It's ready, sir.” Ben was so tense, I bet he could snap any moment if he bent the wrong way.

“I will call as soon as I have a free moment. Listen to Justin and be good.” Brian kissed Gus again, cuddling him close, before getting out of the car and allowing Gus to take his seat.

I tried not to show how disappointed I was that I didn't get a kiss.

With the tinted windows, I didn't see him rounding the car, but when the door on my side opened and an arm pulled me out, I might have screamed.

Brian snorted, pressing me against the side of the car. After looking around like a hawk, his lips mashed against mine. “I'll see you soon. Please, take care of my son.”

That was such a huge responsibility. “I promise.”

“If you need me, tell Ben. He will contact me.”

I nodded, a lump forming in my throat. I threw my arms around his neck, sniffing.

“Don't let him see you like this. He doesn't know. And I don't want him to know,” Brian instructed.

“Of course. Sorry.” I wiped my eyes. “Go, see what you can do...Take care.”

He nodded solemnly.

Then he turned and left.

I got back in the car, only to find the door on Gus's side open and the child missing. Fuck. Then I looked up and saw him running after his daddy, clinging to his legs.

Brian brought him back, a hand rubbing his back, as he whispered things into his ear. He met my eyes, smirking. “Good luck.”

“Wha’?” It was the most intelligent thing I could say.

Next thing I knew, Gus was sitting next to me, scrutinizing me. “So you paint?”

“Yeah.”

“I want to be a painter too.”

“It's a good job.”

“You get to play with all these pretty colors.”

Oh, fuck. Now I understood Brian.

“Maybe I could teach you?”

His eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Sure.”

When Ben got behind the wheel, I instructed him to make a detour by my condo. We had stuff to get.

I didn't know anything about children, but I was determined to win over Brian's kid. Though, alarm bells rang in my head. If the kid got attached to me, and after I finished the portrait we never saw each other again...it would hurt him.

We needed to have a serious talk—Brian and me.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you all for reading. I'd love to read more of your thoughts on the story.