- Text Size +

 

 

Three agonizingly long days had to pass before we had any news from Spain.

The television channels and internet websites weren't much help, and mostly they fueled the panic with horrifying news about the supposed attackers or number of victims.

I returned to Brian's room after putting Gus to bed and assuring him once again that his daddy and mommies will be back soon. He sensed something was wrong, and kept asking when he would see them again.

I killed time by sketching, until my cellphone rang from beside me. I accepted the call as fast as humanly possible.

“Hello?”

Justin?

To hear Brian's voice was such a relief. The sleepless nights and worried minutes spent waiting for any good news vanished in the blink of eye.

“Brian, I've been so worried! Is everything okay? We're keeping track of the news. Drew is constantly on call with your men. I'm trying to keep Gus calm, because he feels that something is wrong...”

Justin,” Brian called loudly.

Realizing I was rambling, I shut up, embarrassed. “Yes?”

It's not that I'm not happy to hear your voice, but what the fuck are you doing with Drew's phone?

“What? This is mine...” I pulled the device away from my ear, and gasped. Shit. I didn't own such high tech phone. “Shit. I think we switched them when I went to give him something to eat earlier. He's barely left his room.”

Could you please put Drew on the phone?

“Uh, yeah. Sure.” I was already on my way downstairs, trying not to pout like a child.

And Justin? Get your phone back, because after I hang up with Drew, I'm going to call you. I'd rather not greet my security with dirty talking,” Brian joked.

I giggled. “Sounds like a date. I'll give you Drew.” I entered Drew's room to find him munching on a sandwich, looking through my phone, smiling. “Permission to kill Drew, Brian?” I asked loudly and seriously.

Why would you do that?” Brian asked confused.

“Sorry, kid. Your phone was too tempting.” Drew smiled apologetically, handing me back my phone. “Wait. That's my phone! Is that Brian you're talking to?”

“I'll leave you to talk to Drew. Later,” I said, giving Drew his phone back.

Once back in my room, I pulled up Whatsapp and wrote to Emmett.

Hey, Em. Just letting you know I talked to B. He's fine. Don't call, because I'm gonna talk to him soon. He's on the phone with Drew now.

Great news, baby! Know anything about Gussy’s mommies?

Nope. Will keep you posted.

I had to wait over an hour for Brian to call.

“Hello, stranger,” I cooed.

“Hello to you too.” Brian sighed heavily. “I hear Gus has been an angel.”

“You have no idea. Poor kid senses something’s wrong. I keep him distracted as much as I can.”

“I spoke to him a few minutes ago. Drew was kind enough to pass him the phone. Even though I’m tired as fuck, it kind of energized me to hear his voice. Now he’s in Drew’s room on a video conference with his moms.”

I chuckled. “I doubt there’s a conference, Brian. Speaking of his moms. Are they both okay?”

“Yeah, they were in the hotel when it happened. Lindsay had tried to contact me, but of course, it was impossible what with all communication channels being cut off.”

“Especially the ones directed to you.”

Brian laughed. “Yeah, I didn’t think of that. Anyway, I want to apologize from keeping you away from your life.”

“It’s not like I had anything else planned. Well, I might need Big and Bulky to protect me from our President. I had to do his portrait but I got stuck with his kid.”

“Don’t worry about the portrait right now. That’s the last thing on my mind.”

We lapsed in a few moments of silence, where I scrambled for something to say. I didn’t want the phone call to end.

“So what are you wearing?” I blurted out, eventually.

The only answer was Brian's heavy breathing.

“Okay, forget about my stupid question. When are you coming back? It’s not that I mind staying here with Gus and Drew, but it’s stupid…I miss you. Brian? I know. I’m an idiot. I don’t even know you. Actually, I think I know you better than you know me…not that I’m a stalker or something, but—”

“Justin! Christ! You can talk…”

“Sorry. I guess I’m nervous. I tend to talk a lot when I’m nervous.”

“I figured. Let me answer your questions,” Brian said softly. “We’re returning tomorrow if everything goes well. But I have to go to Washington. I’ll send the girls over there, along with Ben.”

“Oh, what horrible holidays…”

“I’ve got so much to do. Cynthia, my secretary, blew up my email inbox. Duties over duties, and on top of that, I have to appear on a few TV shows to talk about Spain. I can’t postpone any of these, and I can’t have anyone else do it for me. Though, I might talk Schmidt into wishing the people the customary holiday greetings.”

“Is that part of his duties?” I had no idea what exactly the Vice President did, except being second to the president in command.

“If it’s not, it will be.” Brian laughed. He cleared his throat. “You mentioned what I’m wearing…well, I’m not. I finally found the time to take a bath.”

“And you’re naked?” I squeaked, hating the way my voice sounded.

“No, I’m bathing dressed, twat!”

“Is Big and Bulky waiting at the door with a fluffy towel?”

“Ben is in his room, doing probably the same. Keep talking so I don’t fall asleep. I don’t want to be the president found drowned in a bathtub in his hotel room in Spain.”

I laughed heartily. “Want me to talk dirty to you?”

“You know that as secure as this line may be, it’s listened by someone, right?”

“They’ll have a field day.”

“And I’ll have a horrible life if anything gets leaked. I’m going to see you soon, Justin. If you want to go home tomorrow when the girls arrive, please tell Drew to drive you.”

“I might do that. I don’t want to intrude in the family reunion.”

oOo

“Gus, chill,” Drew grunted from his spot at the kitchen table.

The kid was restless ever since he found out his mommies were coming back. He had woken me up at the crack of dawn and begged me to make cookies, then he was busy decorating them.

Drew and I relaxed while he was occupied with the cookies, but when he got bored of that, we decided to keep him entertained by setting up the tree. Drew had bought a big tree the other day, and as many decorations as he found.

At the moment, Gus was running around the house wrapped in tinsel, singing carols at the top of his little lungs. I totally understood Brian, and how he must have felt when the girls had dropped the kid off at the White House.

I was running after him, worried he might get tangled in the tinsel and fall.

We heard a car pulling up in front of the house, and Gus threw away the globe he was about to hang in the tree, before zooming to the front door and jumping up and down.

Drew joined us, unlocking and opening the door in time for me to see two elegant women stepping out of the Caddy. Ben had their bags at his feet.

“Moooommmyy! Maaammmaa!”

“GUS!” I shouted at the same time as Drew.

I snatched his jacket and scarf from the hanger by the door, and rushed after him, after stepping into my boots.

“Sweetheart,” the blonde woman said softly, hugging him tightly.

“Still a troublemaker,” the dark haired woman commented, throwing me a smile.

I returned her smile, kneeling beside Gus and handling him in the jacket. He wrapped his arms around my neck. “This is Jussy! He’s super cool! We painted lots!”

The blonde woman eyed me horrified. “I’m so sorry. I hope he wasn’t too much trouble.”

“Oh please. He was an angel. Until he heard you were coming back. Then I got why Brian called him the devil’s spawn.” I slapped a hand over my mouth. “Shit. Sorry. That was rude.”

“No worries, hon. We live with him every day, so we know how he gets. I’m Lindsay, by the way. And this is my wife, Melanie.”

I shook their hands, before standing. On my way to the house, I bumped into Ben, who was carrying two heavy suitcases.

“Hello, Ben,” I greeted him, hoping it was okay.

“Sir.” He nodded.

“I told you to call me Justin,” I groaned. Drew was much more relaxed and easier to talk to than Ben.

While Gus had his reunion with his moms in the living room, I took Drew aside.

“Hey, do you think you can drop me off home? I don’t want to call a cab here…”

“You’re not leaving!”

“Yes, I am. Gus is back with his moms, who are safe. He no longer needs me. Besides, I have to work on that portrait for your boss,” I added, chuckling.

“Okay, fine. I’ll do it.” Drew nodded.

.

.

.

“You didn’t have to walk me inside,” I mumbled, unlocking my apartment door.

“You have these heavy bags. Boss would be mad at me if I didn’t take care of you.”

I chuckled nervously. “Yeah, he wants his portrait too much to let anything happen to the painter.”

Drew deposited the bags in the hallway, facing me. “You know there’s more than that. I've worked for Brian since his campaign started. I don’t know how much he told you about his private life, but let me tell you one thing, kiddo. He’s never been interested in anyone longer than one night.”

“I’m aware that this will end when the portrait is finished.”

“I wouldn’t hold my breath.” Drew winked.

I shook my head, not ready to get my hopes up. My eyes widened when we saw Emmett climbing down the stairs in only MY silk robe.

We stared at each other for a long minute, before Emmett barreled at me. “Baby! You’re home! You always told me I’m welcome if I need a roof above my head. It was terrible! My place was evacuated last night after the idiot above me set his apartment on fire.” He paused, finally spotting Drew, watching him concerned. “Drew! Well, isn’t this a surprise?”

“Are you okay, Em?” I wrapped an arm around him. “It must have been terrible. Why didn’t you call me?”

“It happened a short while after we exchanged those texts. You said you were expecting a call from Brian.”

“Fuck! You’re more important.” I shot Drew a look, when he snorted. “You know what I mean. Emmett could have been seriously hurt.”

“I’m fine, baby. It was like in the movies. A fireman rescued me and climbed me down the window.” Emmett grinned, fanning himself.

I smiled, despite the serious situation. “So your place is gone?”

“Sadly, the whole building is gone. My clothes!”

“Hush. We’ll get you new ones.” I rubbed his back, consolingly. 

“The important thing is that you are okay, Emmett. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call,” Drew said, looking between the two of us.

“Oh, you’re leaving?” Emmett looked disappointed.

“I have to exchange places with Ben, while he heads back to Washington.”

We said goodbye, before I locked up after Drew. Taking a big breath, I turned to Emmett, who was watching me amused.

“So I’m stuck with you?”

“It’s temporarily, until I get a hold of Michael. He’s not answering the phone. I hope he can host me in the spare bedroom until I sort out what I’m gonna do.”

“Good. It’s not that I don’t want you here, Em….but this place is…”

“Big enough for only one person, I know.” Emmett walked to the kitchen. “I’ll make coffee. You go take a shower, then you have to tell me all about your time with that cutie pie.”

“Gus or Drew?” I joked, heading up the stairs.

“Take your pick,” Emmett called loudly, making me laugh.