- Text Size +

 

 

I felt terrible for arriving at Debbie’s half an hour later than I should have. Christmas dinner at her house was a tradition, and I had never been late before.

I totally blamed Brian. I was sucked into the portrait when I realized it was getting dark. A look at the clock had me frenzied.

Sadly, Emmett had gone to Debbie’s since morning to help her, and he wasn’t home to remind me, which resulted in me to rush.

The door opened. Michael narrowed his eyes, jerking his head for me to get inside.

“Some of us are hungry,” he said in greeting.

“I’m terribly sorry. I lost track of time.” I shrugged out of my jacket, hanging it by the door.

“Sunshine! At last! What kept you?” Debbie asked worried.

“I was busy painting.” I rubbed subconsciously at my paint dirty hands.

“You have a commission now? At Christmas?” She hugged me tightly, gently cleaning my cheek with her thumb. I must have had paint there too.

“Happy Christmas, Deb.” I kissed her cheek.

“Now we can eat,” Michael declared, taking his seat at the table.

I sat next to Emmett, across from Michael and his uncle Vic. Debbie sat at the head of the table.

“So new commission?” Deb asked.

“Yeah. You know I can’t talk about it,” I said, digging in my food. I was famished. I couldn’t remember the last time I ate, but it wasn’t something new. I always forgot about the world outside when I painted.

“Is it someone important?” Vic inquired.

“You have no idea,” Emmett answered, smirking.

I elbowed him, glaring. “Keep your big mouth shut!”

“You know? Why does he always know more than me?” Michael lamented.

I bit my lips to keep from saying something harsh, but the truth was that Emmett was a much better friend to me than Michael. We got along well, but I wouldn’t confide in him with such important things. Emmett, at least, knew when to shut up. Michael didn’t.

“Is it that man with the child you came with at the diner?” Debbie joined our conversation.

“Uh, Drew is the bodyguard…if you may. Please, stop asking questions,” I begged.

“We always find out, in the end,” Michael pointed out.

“And you will this time, too…if B—, if he allows it.” I pushed away my plate, losing my appetite. My stomach squirmed with nerves. I was always extra careful with keeping the identity of my clients hidden, but this time round, I had to be even more cautious. It drove me crazy.

The conversation switched to Emmett moving in with Michael, and I was grateful for the distraction. I picked at the food on my plate until my phone pinged on the table, next to me.

It was a new WhatsApp message from a number I didn’t know.

Happy Christmas, Painter Boy!

I didn’t have to be a genius to know who it was. I replied quickly.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Eagle! =)

A laughing emoticon popped up on the screen, soon followed by words. No one knows I got this pre-paid number. I’m a rebel.

I laughed, realizing what a big child Brian could be. Is there a chance for them to find out?

His reply came ten minutes later, in which I avoided eye-contact with my companions, especially Emmett, who kept smirking.

Speaking of sneakiness…Your number one fan nearly discovered my secret. =P

My number one fan? Are you talking about yourself at third person? Do you have multiple personalities, Mr. Eagle?

Don’t be a twat! Big and Burly paid me a visit. I had to stuff my new phone down in my pants.

I snorted, hoping I didn’t look like a lunatic to my friends.

Tsk, tsk. You’re slow, Mr. Eagle. Big and Bulky! Get your man’s nickname right.

Right. Bulky. I should remember that. I still want to see his face while using the nickname.

Hey! I have patent rights to it! I’ll sue!

There was no response after that, and I hoped I hadn’t crossed the line.

Sorry. You can use my nickname for your security.

Still no response. My heart slammed against my ribcage, making me think I ruined everything with my big mouth. I had no idea how to flirt.

Did I upset you?

It was a joke.

Only when we had dessert in front us, did Brian answer.

Painter Boy, let’s get something straight. I’m not one of your little friends who answers you promptly. You nearly made my dick hard while I had a debrief with Big & Bulky.

Just so you know, I might not answer promptly, but this is the number you’ll always be able to reach me.

I smiled at the two messages I got from Brian.

“Chatting with him?” Emmett leaned into my side.

I beamed at him, before focusing on my phone, typing back a message. Cute. I’ll keep that in mind. (btw…it’s not my fault you shove your phone down in your pants. There’s this great invention…pockets!)

Smart ass! I’ve got to go. If you aren’t busy in about an hour, turn on Fox News.

I won’t miss an opportunity to see you

I wasn’t sure where the courage to write that came from, but there was no going back once I hit sent.

The only proof that he read my words was the two blue check marks.

After eating more than humanly possible, we moved to the living room. Vic turned on the TV and left it on some Christmas movie.

I wasn’t below begging to change it to the news channel, even if they would eye me worried. I was never interested in watching the news.

I allowed Debbie to distract me with mindless conversation about my previous show, about what I planned to do in the near future, my New Year plans, the usual.

To my relief, the movie ended five minutes before the nine o’clock news. I slid closer to the remote controller, and when no one looked, I started flipping aimlessly through the channels, keeping a light conversation with Vic about the movie we had just watched.

When I reached Fox News, I made a show of dropping the controller. I knew from experience that the batteries always fell from their place and rolled under the sofa, when it happened. They didn’t disappoint.

While Michael groaned to being stuck watching the news, knowing no one intended to move off the sofa to search for the batteries, I gasped.

They were showing images from Madrid, and saying that soon, the President would join them to discuss the aftermath of the attack.

Emmett gave me a pointed look, which I ignored.

When the show began, I had to stifle my shock. Brian looked worn-out. I had seen him plenty of times to know when he looked tired, and now he looked downright ready to drop. The host introduced him, as if he needed any kind of introduction, before speaking briefly about Madrid, and asking Brian why he was called there when it clearly wasn’t safe.

Brian leaned his forearms on the desk, looking at the camera. Despite the dark circles under his eyes and tired look on his face, he looked the epitome of sexy. His hair was fixed, not a stray disrupting the neatness; the suit he was wearing was dark blue with green hues, making his hazel eyes even more beautiful, there was a light dust of hair on his jaw, making him look hotter than anything.

“Hello! First of all, let me say a few words. Despite the horrible news from Spain, I hope everyone has wonderful holidays with their families and friends.” He flashed his brilliant smile. “You asked about my trip to Madrid.”

I was curious what he was going to saying. It was part of his secret.

The host nodded. “Yes, Mr. President. Everyone is curious of why you went to a definitely not secure place.”

“As you must know, we have a wonderful relationship with Spain. Their Prime Minister was scheduled to visit us in January, but now he might not be able to leave his people. I had to be there to help a fellow country in need, and because of a more personal matter.”

“Personal? Do you mind me asking?”

I could see Brian's brows knitting in the middle of his forehead, as he contemplated the question. He glanced to the side, probably to one of his men, before focusing on the host. He was going to choose his words carefully, if he planned to reveal anything.

“As everyone knows, I have a child,” he started in an even tone. “His mother, a dear friend of mine, was gone to Madrid on a trip. I couldn’t very well try to solve the problem from here.”

“Oh, no! Is your friend all right?”

“Thankfully, yes. While there, I lent all the possible help to the Spanish government so they can catch the terrorists as fast as possible. We’re passing a dark time, and I hope that one day we’re going to be able to live without being afraid of some…maniac taking our life.”

I jumped out of my skin when Debbie laughed next to me. “Maniac! That’s sure gonna get him some reputation.”

It was true, that such language wasn’t probably acceptable for the president, but I knew he could say a lot worse. Maniac was to put it mildly.

Her comment spurred a string of answers from the others, while I tried to pay attention to Brian's words. Sadly, he was drowned out by Michael’s loud voice and Debbie’s even louder arguments.

I exchanged an irritated look with Emmett. He was closer to the TV, and came to my aid by upping the volume a little from the button on the flat screen’s side.

The show was wrapping up, sadly.

“On a lighter note, I suppose that now you are going to relax with your family?” the host asked.

Brian chuckled. “I sure hope so. Let’s pray nothing else is going to happen until the end of the year. Even I could use a break.”

I laughed, knowing how true his words were.

“He needs a break?” Michael snorted. “All he does is sit around in that fancy White House, showing his pretty face to us from time to time.”

“That’s so not true,” I snapped. I was vaguely aware of the host asking Brian about trying for a second mandate coming year, but I was too upset with Michael’s narrow-minded thinking to focus on the answer.

“Oh, he might have plans to run again! Did you hear that, Baby?” Emmett exclaimed.

“He did a lot of good for us,” Debbie said. “Especially for gay people. Kinney is really one of a kind.”

I smiled at her, gratefully. “Exactly! Who would have thought of us having the President on our side?”

“That’s it for tonight, folks. We had President Kinney as our guest. Thank you again, sir. Have peaceful holidays with your family.”

Brian smiled. “Thank you! Happy holidays, once again.”

The camera stayed on him as he got out of the chair, shook the host’s hand, before heading out of view. Commercials came on, and everyone started moving around me.

Michael shoved us from the couch so he could find the remote controller’s batteries. Vic went to get a second helping of dessert. Emmett excused himself to the bathroom. Debbie helped Michael in his quest for the batteries.

I went to the kitchen and slumped in a chair, pulling my phone out.

That was a nice speech. I’m curious if you wrote it yourself…and if the person proof-reading it had to change many curse words into something decent.

His reply came as I poured myself a glass of wine.

Ha ha! I have someone who writes my speeches. I’d never be so eloquent. Of course, in a live TV show, I have to improvise, but I always have some lines prepared.

‘Maniac’ was all you, I bet.

You caught that, uh? I couldn’t remember the name Sammy told me. Ben made sure to shout it at me when I joined him after the show. I was supposed to say ‘extremist’…fancy, huh?

Poor you! So now headed to spend some time with your family?

Yeah. We’re headed to my other residence…you’ve been there when we discussed the portrait. I can’t wait to spend some time with Gus.

I’ll be immersed in your portrait. I nearly missed family dinner because of you. I added an upset emoticon.

Sorry…not sorry.

“Why did you isolate yourself, Sunshine?” Debbie called for me. “Join us!”

I plopped next to her on the sofa, grinning.

“Who are you talking to? Did you get a boyfriend and didn’t tell me?” she wondered.

I shrugged, turning my eyes to my phone, when it buzzed in my hand.

If you need to refresh your memory, let me know.

I JUST saw you.

You know what I mean, Painter Boy. Just tell me the word, we’ll make it happen one way or another.

I couldn’t believe it. Brian wanted to spend more time with me. ME! I was virtually a needle in the haystack, but he wanted me.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I'd love to see more of your thoughts about the story.